NEW Cambridge CXUHD 4K Dolby Vision Blu-ray Player (Owner's Thread) - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 107Likes

post #481 of 542 Old 05-20-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
I will disagree, I understand it’s infuriating and unacceptable that it won’t work as it should specially on a $14k plus high end pre amp but I have a mere $3k marantz receiver and it works flawlessly.
Of course...you're correct, this madness cost me nearly 5 months of trouble-shooting and wasted efforts, and yesterday got the better of me.

The frustrating thing is that I'm still unsure if it's the CXUHD's fault because their sub-par dual HDMI implementation (CA tech support answers were unsatisfactory and leaves much to desire - really, their recommendation was to force 1080p to ensure I get both video and audio??) or it's my legacy Krell SSP (even though Krell completely replaced the HDMI board back in March).

The EV707 is really spectacular in how it renders audio (hifi music and HT movies - if HDMI audio works), but you hit the nail on the head: if it wasn't for the monstrous price I've paid for the Krell, I would switch to something like NAD M17 V2, Lyngdorf MP-50 or even the Marantz AV8805 (my previous pre/pro was Marantz AV8802a).

The ironic thing is, and this is a testament to how good the Krell EV707 is, using the S/PDIF tosslink optical cable for audio out of the CXUHD (instead of HDMI audio) movies sound really really good. Sure, it's no lossless DTS MAster Audio HD/Dolby TrueHD, but the optical implementation does have up to 192 KHz audio max or bitstream options. Tosslink quality is close enough to HDMI audio, without any handshake issues - period.

Any-who, instead of throwing thousands of pounds on new SSPs and/or 4K players, I do have one last hope: the upcoming HDFury Vertex 2, which DOES have an HDMI Audio port so likely their implementation of dual HDMI is better than CA's. Moreover, HDFury tech support is excellent, so I'm positive that, if things don't work right out the box, they could special config a file just for my setup.

Apologies for the impulsive messages as of late...but I"m sure most of you can relate to the escalating frustration when HiFi equipment simply refuse to work per their design. So I'll stop wasting people's time and won't post on this matter any further! Here's to hoping to an imminent firmware release for the CXUHD.

Cheerio!
BLMN likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 542 Old 05-20-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
Of course...you're correct, this madness cost me nearly 5 months of trouble-shooting and wasted efforts, and yesterday got the better of me.

The frustrating thing is that I'm still unsure if it's the CXUHD's fault because their sub-par dual HDMI implementation (CA tech support answers were unsatisfactory and leaves much to desire - really, their recommendation was to force 1080p to ensure I get both video and audio??) or it's my legacy Krell SSP (even though Krell completely replaced the HDMI board back in March).

The EV707 is really spectacular in how it renders audio (hifi music and HT movies - if HDMI audio works), but you hit the nail on the head: if it wasn't for the monstrous price I've paid for the Krell, I would switch to something like NAD M17 V2, Lyngdorf MP-50 or even the Marantz AV8805 (my previous pre/pro was Marantz AV8802a).

The ironic thing is, and this is a testament to how good the Krell EV707 is, using the S/PDIF tosslink optical cable for audio out of the CXUHD (instead of HDMI audio) movies sound really really good. Sure, it's no lossless DTS MAster Audio HD/Dolby TrueHD, but the optical implementation does have up to 192 KHz audio max or bitstream options. Tosslink quality is close enough to HDMI audio, without any handshake issues - period.

Any-who, instead of throwing thousands of pounds on new SSPs and/or 4K players, I do have one last hope: the upcoming HDFury Vertex 2, which DOES have an HDMI Audio port so likely their implementation of dual HDMI is better than CA's. Moreover, HDFury tech support is excellent, so I'm positive that, if things don't work right out the box, they could special config a file just for my setup.

Apologies for the impulsive messages as of late...but I"m sure most of you can relate to the escalating frustration when HiFi equipment simply refuse to work per their design. So I'll stop wasting people's time and won't post on this matter any further! Here's to hoping to an imminent firmware release for the CXUHD.

Cheerio!
There is a long overdue firmware update due any day now on the CX.

Seems to me I recall a few isolated cases of HDMI weirdness like you are experiencing mentioned here on the forum over the last 10 or so years, and the only thing that's consistent is that the processor or receiver being used is a very high end brand.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #483 of 542 Old 05-20-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Seems to me I recall a few isolated cases of HDMI weirdness like you are experiencing mentioned here on the forum over the last 10 or so years, and the only thing that's consistent is that the processor or receiver being used is a very high end brand.
I believe you're correct @StevenC56 .

Boutique HiFi shops like Macintosh, Marc Levinson, Krell, PS Audio focus on PCB board layouts, maximizing MOSFET/op amps designs (primarily Class-A), to result in superior auditory wizardry for best frequency response, gain, distortion, S-N ratios, etc rather than trying to keep up with the latest HDMI formats; that's why they are always years behind their competitors in numerous aspects.

On the other hand, more commercially available brands like Marantz, Yamaha, NAD and others have a dedicated SW team whose job is just that: keep up with the latest communication protocols. I love their products, I've owned pretty much all of them, but in choosing any one product in today's world, you end up making one sacrifice or another!
BLMN and I-SIBI like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 542 Old 05-24-2019, 05:03 PM

While being in contact with CA tech support regarding my “audio issue”, I’ve also inquired about the FW update.

While they didn’t specify an exact date, but they did confirm they’re very very close to releasing it, they’re actually in the final stages of testing.

So there you go...confirmation. Sort of...
post #485 of 542 Old 05-26-2019, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
While being in contact with CA tech support regarding my “audio issue”, I’ve also inquired about the FW update.

While they didn’t specify an exact date, but they did confirm they’re very very close to releasing it, they’re actually in the final stages of testing.

So there you go...confirmation. Sort of...

Hopefully now in June, I got so many movies in DV to try out.

Living Room: Mitsubishi WD82738 1080p 3D, Onkyo HT-9400 THX 7.1, Oppo DV-980H, Sony BDP-S6500 (Multi Region), Roku 2 XS
Bedroom: Sony XBR-65-850E 4K, PS4 launch edition, Sony UBP-X800
Basement: Sony XBR-75-Z9D 4K 3D, Marantz SR-8012 11.2, B&W 7.1 set, KEF Q50AB, Marantz TT-15S1, CA CXUHD, PS4 Pro, PSVR Bundle, PS3 60GB 1st gen.
post #486 of 542 Old 05-31-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys,I've a Oppo 103d so I'm thinking about buy new Bd Player Oppo 203 or Cambridge uhd but I need answer about bd iso playing. My all movies bd iso or mkv in my NAS so is it possible to play on CA ? Thanks..
post #487 of 542 Old 05-31-2019, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5269 Post(s)
Liked: 4794
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakgoz79 View Post
Hi guys,I've a Oppo 103d so I'm thinking about buy new Bd Player Oppo 203 or Cambridge uhd but I need answer about bd iso playing. My all movies bd iso or mkv in my NAS so is it possible to play on CA ? Thanks..
No ISOs, only supports AVCHD folder structure.
post #488 of 542 Old 06-01-2019, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakgoz79 View Post

I doubt that you can play bd iso on your OPPO BDP-103D unless you have some custom firmware installed. The same approach might be used for OPPO UDP-203 and Cambridge CXUHD players.
post #489 of 542 Old 06-08-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
No ISOs, only supports AVCHD folder structure.
so it supports BD structure and 4K UHD folder structure? means it is same as on OPPO?
and it is same if playing from external HDD or NAS, or USB?

Thank you,
Marek
post #490 of 542 Old 06-10-2019, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 79
It can play full bluray structure from folder from USB. It can't from NAS, at least it can't on Synology nas don't know other brands.
MarekM likes this.
post #491 of 542 Old 06-10-2019, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
As I've mentioned before I am able to play Blu-ray and UHD folder structure using SMB shares.
MarekM likes this.

LG OLED E8
Oppo UDP-203
Samsung HW-N950
post #492 of 542 Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

Just bought a used cxuhd and havd some hdmi dad audio out queries.

Can I connect hdmi output dsd audio to the usb input of my lumxan da06 dac since dsd is non-friendly to digital coaxial or toslink optical ?

If yes, what adaptor, cable or converter is suitable for me to do so ??

Cheers.

Richard
post #493 of 542 Old 06-14-2019, 05:00 AM

HDMI to USB is a little unorthodox, since in your case, you aren’t interested in video.

What’s left is S/PDIF to USB. So you’re looking to get DDC (digital to digital converter) and transfer the optical signal from the CXUHD and convert it to USB? No DAC involved since there isn’t analog in the loop.

I haven’t used such a device but take a gander here

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/SPDIF-USB.htm

Last edited by no_cure; 06-14-2019 at 05:04 AM.
post #494 of 542 Old 06-16-2019, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey No cure,

Thanks for the comment and advice.

I can use the optical or coaxial output from the cxuhd to my Luxman DA06 dac but was hoping that using hdmi audio output can play dsd files to my dac via its usb input which can handle them since without hdmi input like avr amplifier .. hence the interest.

Converting to spdif would defeat the purpose since it cannot carry dsd digital.

Thanks again.

Richard
post #495 of 542 Old 06-17-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_crl032 View Post
Just bought a used cxuhd and havd some hdmi dad audio out queries.

Can I connect hdmi output dsd audio to the usb input of my lumxan da06 dac since dsd is non-friendly to digital coaxial or toslink optical ?

If yes, what adaptor, cable or converter is suitable for me to do so ??
I wonder if you could make use of one of these: HIFIMEDIY I2S/DSD Isolator 384KHZ HDMI TO TTL Interface.

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #496 of 542 Old 06-20-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hello again,

I am sorry if this was already posted somewhere here.

I think I am not getting DOLBY VISION out of my Cambridge hmm

testing disks TANSFORMERS 5, STAR WARS TLJ, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Reay Player one....

I had OPPO 203 for year and something,.. and I remember Dolby Vision in setup menu, here I can see HDR and Target Nits...
with not mention of DV

I updated firmware to CXUHD-56-0309, it's from april 2018, is there another?.

I have Sony KD-65XE9405 and receiver DENON AVR-X6300H

how can I check if DV is playing? when I was playing from oppo203, sony shows DV logo right upper conner, is that logo coming from OPPO or SONY?
can SONY show that DV is playing?

I am totaly lost right know hmm

thank you for all answares,
best regards,
Marek

Last edited by MarekM; 06-20-2019 at 01:31 PM.
post #497 of 542 Old 06-20-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

after reading this THREAD, it seems I have to wait to get new FIRMWARE, to be able to get DOLBY VISION ot my SONY TV,
am I correct?

it will be out this or next month? or it's already up?

thank you,
Marek
post #498 of 542 Old 06-20-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekM View Post
Hello again,

I am sorry if this was already posted somewhere here.

I think I am not getting DOLBY VISION out of my Cambridge hmm

testing disks TANSFORMERS 5, STAR WARS TLJ, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Reay Player one....

I had OPPO 203 for year and something,.. and I remember Dolby Vision in setup menu, here I can see HDR and Target Nits...
with not mention of DV

I updated firmware to CXUHD-56-0309, it's from april 2018, is there another?.

I have Sony KD-65XE9405 and receiver DENON AVR-X6300H

how can I check if DV is playing? when I was playing from oppo203, sony shows DV logo right upper conner, is that logo coming from OPPO or SONY?
can SONY show that DV is playing?

I am totaly lost right know hmm

thank you for all answares,
best regards,
Marek
Even though the 203 supports it, and they're cousins, the CXUHD doesn't yet support Sony's version of Dolby Vision (aka LLDV). According to information that I personally received from CA (as well as a few other forum members) they have confirmed that they're working on a firmware that will support LLDV. They've been saying for about 5-6 months now that they're in the final testing stages...so any day now.
MarekM likes this.
post #499 of 542 Old 06-20-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekM View Post
after reading this THREAD, it seems I have to wait to get new FIRMWARE, to be able to get DOLBY VISION ot my SONY TV,
am I correct?

it will be out this or next month? or it's already up?

thank you,
Marek
It's not available yet. They've been promising a firmware update for months. Supposedly, it's in the final stages now. We'll just have to wait and see if it's delivered as promised. I'm in the same boat with a Sony TV and not having dolby vision. No new firmware since April of last year is correct.
MarekM likes this.
post #500 of 542 Old 06-20-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Even though the 203 supports it, and they're cousins, the CXUHD doesn't yet support Sony's version of Dolby Vision (aka LLDV). According to information that I personally received from CA (as well as a few other forum members) they have confirmed that they're working on a firmware that will support LLDV. They've been saying for about 5-6 months now that they're in the final testing stages...so any day now.
thank you very much for fast answare!
funny thing is, I waited few months with OPPO-203 too, and now AGAIN, oh my I hope it will come soon

thank you,
Marek
post #501 of 542 Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall L. View Post
It's not available yet. They've been promising a firmware update for months. Supposedly, it's in the final stages now. We'll just have to wait and see if it's delivered as promised. I'm in the same boat with a Sony TV and not having dolby vision. No new firmware since April of last year is correct.
yeah, pitty I did not read enough before I picked this one it's great player, hope firmware will come soon
SONY TVs are cool, but this DV stuff can ruin a day hmm

hope to be happy soon here, discussing new firmaware

Marek
post #502 of 542 Old 06-21-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I was checking the AV forum, an UK based member did the beta test of this upcoming firmware a little over 2 months ago, those things usually takes 5 to 6 months until they get the clear from Dolby then test it thoroughly. So it makes sense its in the final stages, my guess is it should be out mid to late summer.
MarekM likes this.

Living Room: Mitsubishi WD82738 1080p 3D, Onkyo HT-9400 THX 7.1, Oppo DV-980H, Sony BDP-S6500 (Multi Region), Roku 2 XS
Bedroom: Sony XBR-65-850E 4K, PS4 launch edition, Sony UBP-X800
Basement: Sony XBR-75-Z9D 4K 3D, Marantz SR-8012 11.2, B&W 7.1 set, KEF Q50AB, Marantz TT-15S1, CA CXUHD, PS4 Pro, PSVR Bundle, PS3 60GB 1st gen.
post #503 of 542 Old 06-25-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
I was checking the AV forum, an UK based member did the beta test of this upcoming firmware a little over 2 months ago, those things usually takes 5 to 6 months until they get the clear from Dolby then test it thoroughly. So it makes sense its in the final stages, my guess is it should be out mid to late summer.
thank you!!

Marek
post #504 of 542 Old 06-27-2019, 02:11 AM

The hope remains alive!!!

Question for those with non Sony TV: how does a disc with both DV and HDR 10 codec versions differ when playing them on the CXUHD (I think The Matrix trilogy has both codecs)? I have a Sony tele (obviously) and an ATV4K, and while DV streams (ie Netflix) may be more accurate and match the studio intended gamma/colour/dynamic ranges, deep down I still prefer the HDR 10 setting since it’s brighter to me (I know blasphemy....DV should win hands down given the standard studio mastering of about 1,000 nits avg for HDR10 vs ~ 4,000 for DV)
post #505 of 542 Old 06-28-2019, 01:39 PM

Not to dwell on this, but for those with an LG OLEDs TV or similar, I'm curious to know how the CXUHD currently handles DV vs HDR10 content.

My only comparison perspective between the two codecs is via ATV4k streaming.
post #506 of 542 Old 06-28-2019, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Oh my the Wars of the formats..

When will it end?

HD Dvd and Blu-ray ended quickly with PlayStation

Minidisk too...

Sent fra min AGS-W09 via Tapatalk
post #507 of 542 Old 06-28-2019, 01:57 PM

Clearly not my intention to start up a format war.

Presumably, so we've been promised for some time, CA will 'soon' be releasing a new FW that will support Sony's LLDV...and that right there is supposed to be the "pièce de résistance" in this firmware, I was just curious since I do have a Sony. Having never seen Dolby Vision except via ATV4k streaming, I have no other DV benchmark.

But I won't harp on this...
post #508 of 542 Old 06-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Clearly not my intention to start up a format war.

Presumably, so we've been promised for some time, CA will 'soon' be releasing a new FW that will support Sony's LLDV...and that right there is supposed to be the "pièce de résistance" in this firmware, I was just curious since I do have a Sony. Having never seen Dolby Vision except via ATV4k streaming, I have no other DV benchmark.

But I won't harp on this...
It's not related to what you said....

More to the industry..

DV is licensed, I don't like that, also Oled...

I mean I don't like it's licensed..
Hdr10 and 10+ is free...

I think the streaming less than the BD disks will end this.

For sure Netflix has DV movies series....
But the hardware is licensed..
We'll see

Sent fra min AGS-W09 via Tapatalk
post #509 of 542 Old 06-28-2019, 04:49 PM

I see your point.
post #510 of 542 Old 06-28-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 109
That's an Oppo with English accent via Vietnam

LG OLED C8 65 2018 , LG SL 10YG SoundBar. HT: JVC RS2000, Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain Sscreen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/9060 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Oppo203 and a nagging wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page