NEW Cambridge CXUHD 4K Dolby Vision Blu-ray Player (Owner's Thread) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 122Likes

post #31 of 585 Old 11-24-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGeek View Post
You are not far off. Since the menus are very similar and the externals too, it may just have some tweaks and changes (like the external RCA jacks and lack of DACs). The end result seems to be the same, since I see the same complaints listed on the Oppo 203 forum--- problems with disc playback, and interestingly also with the BD-100 titles from Warner, like the first four Harry Potter films and the Westworld release.
True. But it's puzzling why they left off the analog outputs. A lot of people shopping at this price point are audiophiles will buy the Oppo just for that reason. IMO, it's dumb to make audiophile upgrades without the audiophile outputs.
Mike RO and SteveC356 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 585 Old 12-05-2017, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Sorry, have not posted since original post. I've been out of town on business, finally back!

Unfortunately, after watching a few Dolby Vision titles (specifically Spider-man Homecoming, but others as well) I've noticed a very obvious lip sync issue. The actors lips on the screen are moving about a second after the audio plays. I should stress this only happens on DV titles, I have not run into this issue with HDR or 1080p Blu-rays.

There is a new firmware that came out while I was out of town, and after downloading it just now I will watch the same DV movies again this week and see if anything has changed. *crossing my fingers*

As far as overall impressions, I LOVE the build quality on this. Its built like a tank. The loading is whisper quiet, and feels high quality. It loads movies slightly faster than my previous OPPO 203 and my current Panasonic UB900. I wish I still had my OPPO 203 to do a true A-B comparison, but alas I returned it back to OPPO.

As for picture quality, it looks great. Very natural colors. Although I feel the OPPO 203 seemed sharper? Cant tell if its some sharpening filter action going on with the OPPO but anyway, it seems more natural on the Cambridge. The colors however look better on the Panasonic UB900, no doubt. If Panasonic ever came out with a 4K Dolby Vision player and kept everything from the UB900 internal processing the same, that would be my next and probably final 4K player purchase.

As for the audio quality (using HDMI out) the SACD titles I've played sounded very good. FYI my current receiver is a Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 which uses an AK4458 768 kHz/32-bit DAC (there is no DAC in the Cambridge itself). I'm using a very affordable set of Pioneer Elite ATMOS 5.1.2 speakers (designed by Andrew Jones, formerly designed the TAD $80,000 Reference One speakers), take it for what its worth. But it makes me happy to hear SACD and regular CDs sounding about as good as I can expect from my modest Pio speaker setup. Color me impressed.

I'll post more impressions as time passes on. But for now, I'm keeping the CXUHD. It does all I need, (Dolby Vision, impressive SACD playback, and built like a tank). The Cambridge name/reputation doesn't hurt either. This is one player I feel will last me awhile. And I'm also keeping it because there is nothing currently out there that is perfect. The OPPO has its chroma issue, the Panny doesn't play DV, and the LG (while able to play DV) is too cheaply made in my opinion. I want something that will last awhile, and not give me disc transport issues after 3-4 years. So until Panasonic makes a 4K Dolby Vision player and has a Chroma processor like the UB900, I will stay with the CXUHD.

Last edited by Rieper; 12-05-2017 at 08:52 PM.
post #33 of 585 Old 12-05-2017, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
so this unit came with Dolby Vision support enabled? or a future firmware update?

currently the Oppo 203/205 are the only units that have Dolby Vision enabled, after LG pulled their support
Came with Dolby Vision support out of the box. No firmware upgrade needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 585 Old 12-29-2017, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
firmware update ? often?

HI
how often do they update the firmware? Is it almost at the same time of Oppo 203?

Sony KD-65A1 4K OLED | Oppo 103 | Marantz AV7703 | Mcintosh M6600 | Magnepan 1.7 | (surround x2) Magnepan MC-1 | CambridgeAudio azure 650R | MSB Analog Dac | Clearaudio Performance DC
post #35 of 585 Old 01-11-2018, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I know someone who just bought this and let me see and hear it. It is an awesome player. Even when he plays CD's in it, it sounds amazing. Mind you he has is hooked up to his CXR200 AVR. The picture quality is amazing for UHD blu-rays as well. A thing to mention about it not having a DAC, if you are going to be mainly using it for Blu-Rays than you will be fine hooking it up to any good AVR, as most have DACS that are good enough to handle movie soundtracks. But if you want to use it as a CD player and have a really good set of speakers, then you would want to make sure you have a really good AVR that has a really good DAC to get the best possible sound for your music. This is why it matches well with Cambridges AVR's because they use really good DAC's in their AVR's. I think that's the way they intended it. You then end up with a really good CD transport as well.
post #36 of 585 Old 02-14-2018, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cambridge CXUHD region mod?

I currently own the Oppo UDP-203
I own a lot of import titles from the US on DVD and Blu Ray, so i have the region mod that plugs into the motherboard.

Does The cambridge have a mod? Or better would that mod be usable on the Cambridge since its the same Motherboard?
post #37 of 585 Old 03-09-2018, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Brand View Post
I currently own the Oppo UDP-203
I own a lot of import titles from the US on DVD and Blu Ray, so i have the region mod that plugs into the motherboard.

Does The cambridge have a mod? Or better would that mod be usable on the Cambridge since its the same Motherboard?
I'd be very interested in knowing this also. Looks like the plug is there...

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UDP-203.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	2372720   Click image for larger version

Name:	CXUHD.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	590.8 KB
ID:	2372722   Click image for larger version

Name:	mod.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	2372724  

Video: LeEco uMax85, Pioneer Elite SC-LX801; Klipsch Reference RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II & RB-51 II; 2 Reaction Audio Echo 15 subs; Comcast X1 / Philips BDP7302 / Apple TV 4K / Xbox One X
Audio: YS-Audio Audio Experience Balanced A2; DIY ICEpower 1200AS1 monoblocks; Tube Fantasy 300b PSET monoblocks; Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE; Topping DX7s; Raspberry Pi 3 B+ running Volumio; PS Audio GCPH; Opera Consonance LP-2.0; Mørch UP-4; Grado Sonata; Sennheiser HD 598
post #38 of 585 Old 03-30-2018, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I recently just bought one! It's been fantastic so far, except for 2 minor issues. I had a UHD freeze on me during playback and required stopping and restarting the disc to fix and I had a different UHD disc experience a handshake issue which required ejecting and reinserting the disc for it to recognize it. Have any other owners seen similar issues?
post #39 of 585 Old 04-09-2018, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Oppo 203 improving their tone mapping with latest firmware update, does this "Oppo 203 clone" also improved its tone mapping feature? does CXUHD's tone mapping performance as good as or even better than Oppo 203?

Last edited by WereWolf84; 04-09-2018 at 10:44 PM.
post #40 of 585 Old 04-10-2018, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
With OPPO closing operations, I guess that’s the end for Cambridge players too. Sad...
mickboy likes this.

A2, A35, 150, 62fd, s790, s6500, x800, 83, 103D, HTPC w/ HD-DVD/BD
post #41 of 585 Old 04-10-2018, 02:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurid001 View Post
With OPPO closing operations, I guess that’s the end for Cambridge players too. Sad...
It all depends upon how many transports Cambridge purchased.

In similar situations many companies do a "lifetime buy" - purchasing as many as they think they will need to support future sales and service.
post #42 of 585 Old 04-13-2018, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Impact of Oppo Shutdown

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
It all depends upon how many transports Cambridge purchased.

In similar situations many companies do a "lifetime buy" - purchasing as many as they think they will need to support future sales and service.
I reached out to Cambridge Audio about the impact of OPPO shutting down its Audio division and they pointed me to an article in their FAQ which can be found here.

The article doesn't say one way or another if CA has plans to discontinue their player but it at least suggests that CA is not dependent on OPPO for their firmware updates. Hopefully their "nuance" isn't just a screen to hide their true intent....We shall see.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #43 of 585 Old 04-13-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
I reached out to Cambridge Audio about the impact of OPPO shutting down its Audio division and they pointed me to an article in their FAQ which can be found here.

The article doesn't say one way or another if CA has plans to discontinue their player but it at least suggests that CA is not dependent on OPPO for their firmware updates. Hopefully their "nuance" isn't just a screen to hide their true intent....We shall see.
They pretty much say they do depend on OPPO: "Oppo have pledged to maintain long term support for their products and we will continue to work with them to ensure that CXUHD customers continue to benefit from their expertise." They modestly say that CA and OPPO "share" mediatek platform. Meaning that the video part is 100% oppo, and with the removal of DAC, CXUHD became an OPPO minus.

post #44 of 585 Old 04-15-2018, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Meaning that the video part is 100% Oppo, and with the removal of DAC, CXUHD became an OPPO minus.
Could someone explain to me why you would pay MORE (US $150 more!) for a Cambridge Audio CXUHD when it is an Oppo 203 with the audio DACs ripped out?

Last I knew, REMOVING something should result in a price decrease ... and the excuses Cambridge made in the OP are hysterical
post #45 of 585 Old 04-15-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd View Post
Could someone explain to me why you would pay MORE (US $150 more!) for a Cambridge Audio CXUHD when it is an Oppo 203 with the audio DACs ripped out?

Last I knew, REMOVING something should result in a price decrease ... and the excuses Cambridge made in the OP are hysterical
at least it's not this: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ls-it-350000-1
markrubin likes this.

post #46 of 585 Old 04-15-2018, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Haha, yep, I remember that little wolf-in-sheeps-clothing incident all too well ...
post #47 of 585 Old 04-24-2018, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi everyone .. Anyone has detailed info on Hdr Sdr signal conversion

Video: Vpr: JVC DLA-RS10- Screen: Adeo Plano 250x140 with Telo Reference White Gain 1.0 - Source: Oppo Bdp-83 mod. Audio: Onkyo PR-SC 886 - Speakers: (Fronts: Jbl Studio 580/Center:Jbl Studio 520c/Presence Speakers:Jbl Studio 530/Surround: Magnat Quantum 505/Surround Back: 2x Magnat Quantum Center 513/Sub:Svs Pb 1000/Atmos rear speakers:Focal Dome 2.0 - Hdmi Cables: Ruipro 20 mt -Qed Hdmi Performance
post #48 of 585 Old 05-18-2018, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I can get this for the same price as the oppo 203. As a result I am considering this as I don't care for the integrated DAC of the oppo and the potential of longer FW support seems promising. Does anyone know if the AVCHD folder "backup feature" that is found on the oppo is the same on the Cambridge CXUHD?
post #49 of 585 Old 05-24-2018, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Choose the HDR track?

Hi guys
I have an LG OLED with the notorious Dolby Vision raised blacks bug.

Is there any way that you know of, that makes the CXUHD choose a standard HDR10 track over the Dolby Vision track in a 4K Bluray? Yesterday I tried to watch the new Matrix in DV, but it looks like complete washed out crap on my otherwise wonderful TV.

In the meanwhile I just downloaded the video from a dubious source and watched it in 4K HDR10 from my pc, which looked great, but that's not really the best solution.

If there's some shortcut to choose the right HDR track, that would be really helpful. But I can't find it. Anyone?
post #50 of 585 Old 05-25-2018, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by willemd View Post
Hi guys

Is there any way that you know of, that makes the CXUHD choose a standard HDR10 track over the Dolby Vision track in a 4K Bluray? Yesterday I tried to watch the new Matrix in DV, but it looks like complete washed out crap on my otherwise wonderful TV.

In the meanwhile I just downloaded the video from a dubious source and watched it in 4K HDR10 from my pc, which looked great, but that's not really the best solution.

If there's some shortcut to choose the right HDR track, that would be really helpful. But I can't find it. Anyone?
Since the CXUHD has a HDR = Forced, try changing to that without media, reboot, and try again. Be curious to see if it works or not.

Quote:
Forced – If the video content supports HDR, the player will always output video with HDR enabled regardless of whether or not the TV or projector indicates that HDR is supported. This may result in image abnormalities if the connected display does not support HDR.

Oppo Beta Group
post #51 of 585 Old 05-26-2018, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I use to own a Cambridge audio Blu ray player and I thought it was fantastic except control. It didn't have discrete power ON and power OFF commands which was annoying.
Does the this player have IP control?

I'm in the market for a HDR Dolby Vision blu ray player and it seems that a quality player is hard to find. I like the Oppo 203 but since they are out fo business for blu ray players, it makes me slightly nervous trying to buy one. I know they are supporting it for now but who knows how long that will last.
So anyway great thread and I might just grab one.
post #52 of 585 Old 05-27-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 3466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post
I use to own a Cambridge audio Blu ray player and I thought it was fantastic except control. It didn't have discrete power ON and power OFF commands which was annoying.
Does the this player have IP control?

I'm in the market for a HDR Dolby Vision blu ray player and it seems that a quality player is hard to find. I like the Oppo 203 but since they are out fo business for blu ray players, it makes me slightly nervous trying to buy one. I know they are supporting it for now but who knows how long that will last.
So anyway great thread and I might just grab one.
I would believe support for the CXUHD would have the same timeframe as the Oppo 203. As posted earlier in this thread Cambridge Audio works with Oppo on firmware updates.

Oppo have pledged to maintain long-term support for their products and we will continue to work with them to ensure that CXUHD customers continue to benefit from their expertise.

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.c...D-Oppo-Digital

Bill
Mantis10 and chili555 like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #53 of 585 Old 05-30-2018, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Since the CXUHD has a HDR = Forced, try changing to that without media, reboot, and try again. Be curious to see if it works or not.
Thanks. I'll try this.
post #54 of 585 Old 06-14-2018, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Saw that the Oppo 203 has a firmware update to convert HDR10 to Dolby Vision. I wonder if the CXUHD will have something similar on their wings?
post #55 of 585 Old 06-18-2018, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to ask, if the video output settings should be EXACTLY the same as the input settings of an UHD HDR movie?

For example: When I watch a HDR10 UHD 4K Blu-ray, can I leave color space and color depth on automatic in the video output settings of the Cambridge or should they be the same as the UHD Blu-ray input settings?
If I choose automatic for example the UHD Blu-ray has 10 bit and YCbCr 4:2:0 BUT the video output is in 12 bit with YCbCr 4:4:4.

Thanks in advance!
Daniel
post #56 of 585 Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebirgskuchen View Post
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to ask, if the video output settings should be EXACTLY the same as the input settings of an UHD HDR movie?

For example: When I watch a HDR10 UHD 4K Blu-ray, can I leave color space and color depth on automatic in the video output settings of the Cambridge or should they be the same as the UHD Blu-ray input settings?
If I choose automatic for example the UHD Blu-ray has 10 bit and YCbCr 4:2:0 BUT the video output is in 12 bit with YCbCr 4:4:4.

Thanks in advance!
Daniel
You are fine with that.

You might see if you can change the output Color Space to YCbCr 4:2:2. You can get 4K/60 4:2:2 12b on the HDMI output, but the current HDMI specs limit you to 8-bit for 4K/60 4:4:4. This only matters when playing content which gets output at /60 -- which would include 1080i/60 Blu-ray discs, and NTSC SD-DVDs. It also includes at least one UHD disc -- "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk", UHD -- which is almost unique in that it is actually on disc as 4K/60.

The YCbCr 4:2:0 format used for the content on the UHD disc is only legal for output on HDMI in precisely two combos: 4K/60 4:2:0 and 4K/50 4:2:0. For example you can not get 4K/24 4:2:0, or even 1080p/60 4:2:0 on HDMI due to the HDMI specs.

I've written this up here:

Digital Video, OR "Lost in Color Space!"

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #57 of 585 Old 06-20-2018, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
I'd be very interested in knowing this also. Looks like the plug is there...

Martin
I tried to use the oppo h/w mod on my cambridge audio CXUHD. It didnt work, there are a few things I will try before giving up.

1) There is a combination off buttons to be pressed before the mod changes the region. The mod is listening to the rs232 protocol since its functioning on the external port and also writing to the same port. The button presses from the remote are only visible on this port with verbosity higher than 2. It could be that cambridge audio for some reason has the verbosity level set lower and the mod doesn't see the trigger sequence. Most likely the region change is an undocumented command on this protocol.

2) If I get it to work using the h/w mod I would like to send same sequence using the IP protocol maybe its possible to make a s/w mod as a linux script running on the player or using an external program connecting to the IP port listening for the remote sequence sending same undocumented commands.

/// Carl-Fredrik
post #58 of 585 Old 07-08-2018, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by willemd View Post
Hi guys

FYI - there is firmware available that fixes the DV raised blacks issue on LG OLEDs now. Download it and yer good to go.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #59 of 585 Old 07-22-2018, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just curious....I saw the above posts about lack of analog outs, but curious why this unit is not a more popular choice? Is it that most of the upper end people are waiting for the Panasonic ub820 and 9000?

Now that the Oppo 203 is no longer available, I would think this unit would be the next best choice?

Anyone know if it has DV that is Sony TV compatible out of the box? (I have an A1E).

I do not think I would ever use the Analog out’s. Debating over the UB820 and this. Thanks.

Denon AVR-4520Ci, Sony XBR65A1E TV, Klipsch speakers, Oppo BDP-103, Sonos Connect, MusicCast MCX-2000, TiVo Bolt +
post #60 of 585 Old 07-23-2018, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachy View Post
Just curious....I saw the above posts about lack of analog outs, but curious why this unit is not a more popular choice? Is it that most of the upper end people are waiting for the Panasonic ub820 and 9000?

Now that the Oppo 203 is no longer available, I would think this unit would be the next best choice?

Anyone know if it has DV that is Sony TV compatible out of the box? (I have an A1E).

I do not think I would ever use the Analog out’s. Debating over the UB820 and this. Thanks.
I’m considering this player and have the same question with regards to DV and Sony TV(A1E) compatibility. I heard that Oppo recently announced a FW update to solve this DV issue with Sony TV’s. Anyone know if Cambridge plans to release the same update?

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page