NEW Cambridge CXUHD 4K Dolby Vision Blu-ray Player (Owner's Thread) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 108Likes

post #1 of 548 Old 10-15-2017, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 108
NEW Cambridge CXUHD 4K Dolby Vision Blu-ray Player (Owner's Thread)

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/cx/cxuhd

To those wondering why this Cambridge (unlike like similar players, i.e. OPPO 203) stripped out a quality DAC, I found this quote online:

Quote:
'Many amplifiers and AV Receivers now feature their own DACs,' explains UK Cambridge rep. 'Therefore, uniquely for a UHD player, Cambridge Audio have designed out all internal DACs and their associated digital circuitry. This decreases interference to the signal, significantly reducing noise and improving both audio and picture quality.'

Under the lid, the CXUHD uses Mediatek's MTK8591 chipset, with video output settings then 'professionally calibrated' by Cambridge Audio engineers. 'Whatever you’re watching, you’ll find the dynamic range has been optimised, bringing natural colours and a film-like fluidity that you have never seen before.'
Which makes sense for me, after buying a Pioneer SC-LX502 receiver today which includes a 32-bit/768kH AKM AK4458 DAC.

First impressions: the Cambridge CXUHD is built like a tank. More thoughts to come, for now enjoy the pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 548 Old 10-15-2017, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 108
My new 4K Dolby Vision combo!

cardoski likes this.
post #3 of 548 Old 10-15-2017, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 6
"Great British Sound", Ya Baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 548 Old 10-22-2017, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Any updates on the video quality?

And, can that sticker be removed? It kills the nice front with that on. I really dislike all the stickers manufacturers stick on laptops as well these days.
presient likes this.
post #5 of 548 Old 10-24-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
so this unit came with Dolby Vision support enabled? or a future firmware update?

currently the Oppo 203/205 are the only units that have Dolby Vision enabled, after LG pulled their support
post #6 of 548 Old 10-29-2017, 09:52 AM

Not 100% sure about Dolby Vision (My TV doesn't support it and not going to replace it if that means I will loose 3D support). But it should be already working according to the menu options and comments from Cambridge.

Playing CDs and normal Blurays works great. Music is mostly dependent on the DAC in the AMP, obviously.
Picture quality is nicer than my previous player (Cambridge 752BD). But not by much. (Expect better quality with Ultra HDs when I get a few).

Got mine hooked up to a Cambridge CXR200 with a set of Dali speakers. The result is really nice.
post #7 of 548 Old 11-01-2017, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by roeleveld View Post
Not 100% sure about Dolby Vision (My TV doesn't support it and not going to replace it if that means I will loose 3D support). But it should be already working according to the menu options and comments from Cambridge.

Playing CDs and normal Blurays works great. Music is mostly dependent on the DAC in the AMP, obviously.
Picture quality is nicer than my previous player (Cambridge 752BD). But not by much. (Expect better quality with Ultra HDs when I get a few).

Got mine hooked up to a Cambridge CXR200 with a set of Dali speakers. The result is really nice.
Just got this one a short while ago this morning.

setup was simple, but it is not wanting to connect to the server to check for a firmware update. Is anyone else having this problem?

The internet connection check on the unit shows successful.

Thanks.

Video - UHD TV: Sony 940E, UHD BD:Panasonic UB900, Samsung K8500, Oppo 203 Apple TV 4K
Audio - Yamaha CX-A5100 PrePro, Outlaw Audio Amps x 3, Polk Rti-A7s x 2, Rti-A5s x 4, 70RTs x 4, SVS PB16 Ultra x2
post #8 of 548 Old 11-01-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGeek View Post
Just got this one a short while ago this morning.

setup was simple, but it is not wanting to connect to the server to check for a firmware update. Is anyone else having this problem?

The internet connection check on the unit shows successful.

Thanks.
DHCP worked for the CXUHD. Mine says there is no update available.
What is the actual message you are getting?

--
Joost
post #9 of 548 Old 11-01-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
DHCP worked for the CXUHD. Mine says there is no update available.
What is the actual message you are getting?

--
Joost
The message shows cannot connect to server. However, when I did the connection test option, it showed connection to internet successful. It also shows the IP address from DHCP.
post #10 of 548 Old 11-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
The message shows cannot connect to server. However, when I did the connection test option, it showed connection to internet successful. It also shows the IP address from DHCP.
Do you get everything, including DNS and Default route from the DHCP correctly?

Otherwise, try to configure it all manually.
post #11 of 548 Old 11-03-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Do you get everything, including DNS and Default route from the DHCP correctly?

Otherwise, try to configure it all manually.
Thanks. I will try that. Last night I checked again and it showed the same message: Could not connect to server. Firmware not upgraded.
post #12 of 548 Old 11-03-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I will try that. Last night I checked again and it showed the same message: Could not connect to server. Firmware not upgraded.
For your information, mine is at Firmware version: CXUHD-46-0811
When I try to upgrade, it comes back with: "Congratulations! Your player already has the latest firmware."

--
Joost
post #13 of 548 Old 11-09-2017, 02:33 PM

After one week of use, I really love the picture quality. Have only had two discs out of 11 that had playback issues. That is incredibly much better than the Oppo 203 I returned in January. Can't really agree with others that have said they are the same unit.

Video - UHD TV: Sony 940E, UHD BD:Panasonic UB900, Samsung K8500, Oppo 203 Apple TV 4K
Audio - Yamaha CX-A5100 PrePro, Outlaw Audio Amps x 3, Polk Rti-A7s x 2, Rti-A5s x 4, 70RTs x 4, SVS PB16 Ultra x2
post #14 of 548 Old 11-13-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
After one week of use, I really love the picture quality. Have only had two discs out of 11 that had playback issues. That is incredibly much better than the Oppo 203 I returned in January. Can't really agree with others that have said they are the same unit.
I haven't encountered any discs yet with playback issues myself and have run quite a few through it already.
Which discs did you have issues with and are the fully scratch-free?

I am also not missing the DAC either as the ampifier (CXR200) can easily process the data and have not had any issues with the combination.
post #15 of 548 Old 11-13-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
I haven't encountered any discs yet with playback issues myself and have run quite a few through it already.
Which discs did you have issues with and are the fully scratch-free?

I am also not missing the DAC either as the ampifier (CXR200) can easily process the data and have not had any issues with the combination.
Unfortunately, the list of discs that have playback issues is increasing for me. The first five I played in this unit were amazing and had no problems. But now, I have had three discs freeze up during playback.

Pacific Rim
Hacksaw Ridge
Harry Potter & Sorcerer's Stone

The discs are not scratched and playback with no issues on the Ub900 player (still the best player I have seen!) The odd thing is that if I eject the disc and insert again, it will start playback at the same spot where it froze and playback with no problems for rest of movie. I think it is a layer transition problem, since it happens well into each disc (1:30, 1:49, for example).

The growing list of disc issues and the fact it will not connect to their server seems to me that this unit is defective.
post #16 of 548 Old 11-13-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, the list of discs that have playback issues is increasing for me. The first five I played in this unit were amazing and had no problems. But now, I have had three discs freeze up during playback.

Pacific Rim
Hacksaw Ridge
Harry Potter & Sorcerer's Stone

The discs are not scratched and playback with no issues on the Ub900 player (still the best player I have seen!) The odd thing is that if I eject the disc and insert again, it will start playback at the same spot where it froze and playback with no problems for rest of movie. I think it is a layer transition problem, since it happens well into each disc (1:30, 1:49, for example).

The growing list of disc issues and the fact it will not connect to their server seems to me that this unit is defective.
I would start to agree.
My suggestion: Contact Cambridge support or your supplier for assistance.

Mine has been working perfectly with no issues during playback.

--
Joost
post #17 of 548 Old 11-16-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I would start to agree.
My suggestion: Contact Cambridge support or your supplier for assistance.

Mine has been working perfectly with no issues during playback.

--
Joost
Well, the player now does connect to the server and informs no new firmware available, but now it freezes when playing discs. The last two BRAND NEW discs froze during playback. I put the discs in my Panasonic UB900, and the disc played back with no issues at all!

The two new discs that did not play were Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets and Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban.
post #18 of 548 Old 11-16-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Well, the player now does connect to the server and informs no new firmware available, but now it freezes when playing discs. The last two BRAND NEW discs froze during playback. I put the discs in my Panasonic UB900, and the disc played back with no issues at all!

The two new discs that did not play were Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets and Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban.
If this were happening to me, I would go back to the shop.

I don't have the same discs, but would never accept a single disc not playing. As it plays in a different player, the disc should be fine.
Which leaves the player.

--
Joost
post #19 of 548 Old 11-16-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
If this were happening to me, I would go back to the shop.

I don't have the same discs, but would never accept a single disc not playing. As it plays in a different player, the disc should be fine.
Which leaves the player.

--
Joost
Yes, I agree. The problem is that I purchased directly from Cambridge Audio, and they are not responding too well to my request.
post #20 of 548 Old 11-16-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agree. The problem is that I purchased directly from Cambridge Audio, and they are not responding too well to my request.
I had a quick reply from them before. But I also bought it from a local shop that offers free 5 year full warranty on all products they sell. And they don't charge more than the official prices.

--
Joost
post #21 of 548 Old 11-17-2017, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Received my unit yesterday. Really simple to set up, a wealth of options to choose from for both video and audio to get the best possible picture and sound from whatever hardware is connected, excellent build quality, aesthetically very pleasing to the eye and whisper quiet in operation. Paired with the LG OLED55E6V the resulting picture is superb and far superior in colour depth, dynamic range and clarity over the LG UP970 it has replaced. So far I have not found any problems playing UHD or HD blu ray content and certainly no freezing, stuttering or sound issues.

I also connected my Apple TV (not the 4k version) through the HDMI input port and I have to say the results really surprised me. Picture quality for the HD films has improved significantly, so much so that it has breathed new life into my Apple TV content. This was an unexpected yet extremely pleasant surprise and I am currently watching many of the films I have not seen for a while🙂

The unit is expensive of course but I for one am very happy with what I have seen and heard so far.👍
post #22 of 548 Old 11-17-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints57 View Post
Received my unit yesterday. Really simple to set up, a wealth of options to choose from for both video and audio to get the best possible picture and sound from whatever hardware is connected, excellent build quality, aesthetically very pleasing to the eye and whisper quiet in operation. Paired with the LG OLED55E6V the resulting picture is superb and far superior in colour depth, dynamic range and clarity over the LG UP970 it has replaced. So far I have not found any problems playing UHD or HD blu ray content and certainly no freezing, stuttering or sound issues.
What soundsystem do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints57 View Post
I also connected my Apple TV (not the 4k version) through the HDMI input port and I have to say the results really surprised me. Picture quality for the HD films has improved significantly, so much so that it has breathed new life into my Apple TV content. This was an unexpected yet extremely pleasant surprise and I am currently watching many of the films I have not seen for a while🙂

The unit is expensive of course but I for one am very happy with what I have seen and heard so far.👍
I feel it is worth the price, how do you feel about it?
post #23 of 548 Old 11-17-2017, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
What soundsystem do you use?

I feel it is worth the price, how do you feel about it?
I currently use a Yamaha YSP-2500 sound bar which gives excellent sound for what it is. I have connected the CXUHD to the TV and set HDMI audio output to bitstream as the TV can pass this through the HDMI ARC port to the YSP-2500. This will probably be the next item to ‘upgrade’ as and when time, funds and ‘she who must be obeyed’ allow😱

Is it worth it? Even after just one day, for me I say yes. Others will disagree but this is a purely subjective opinion based on a number of factors that may or may not be relevant to other users. For example, as I said, it is whisper quiet and this is one important factor for me as I hate having to set a volume so high as to drown out the mechanism noise. Other factors are build quality, Dolby Vision, picture and sound quality and so on. I plumped for this unit and very happy that I did😉

Regards
post #24 of 548 Old 11-21-2017, 12:33 PM

When I checked at blu-ray.com for the specifications of all the UHD discs that have had problems for me during playback, I noticed that ALL of them are BD-100 discs. I have not seen any problems when playing BD-66 discs (UHD) and BD-50 (HD) discs.

So, I think this player has problems reading BD-100 discs. Anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks.

post #25 of 548 Old 11-21-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
When I checked at blu-ray.com for the specifications of all the UHD discs that have had problems for me during playback, I noticed that ALL of them are BD-100 discs. I have not seen any problems when playing BD-66 discs (UHD) and BD-50 (HD) discs.

So, I think this player has problems reading BD-100 discs. Anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks.
A very quick check found that most of my newer discs are DB-50.
If BD-100 is only for UHD, than I am certain that I don't have any in my collection yet.

Is there an easy way to find out by looking at the case and/or disc without checking every item seperately on that website?

--
Joost
post #26 of 548 Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 109
A Oppo 203 with an English accent
Riot Nrrrd, StanGeek and mickboy like this.
post #27 of 548 Old 11-22-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
A Oppo 203 with an English accent
You are not far off. Since the menus are very similar and the externals too, it may just have some tweaks and changes (like the external RCA jacks and lack of DACs). The end result seems to be the same, since I see the same complaints listed on the Oppo 203 forum--- problems with disc playback, and interestingly also with the BD-100 titles from Warner, like the first four Harry Potter films and the Westworld release.
post #28 of 548 Old 11-22-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
A very quick check found that most of my newer discs are DB-50.
If BD-100 is only for UHD, than I am certain that I don't have any in my collection yet.

Is there an easy way to find out by looking at the case and/or disc without checking every item seperately on that website?

--
Joost
The UHD bluray specification is the one that has the BD-66 and BD-100 discs. So, if your collection does not have any UHD discs, you are not going to see any playback issues. Just know that you can get a cheaper player that does not play UHD discs, if you do not plan to buy UHD discs.
post #29 of 548 Old 11-22-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
The UHD bluray specification is the one that has the BD-66 and BD-100 discs. So, if your collection does not have any UHD discs, you are not going to see any playback issues. Just know that you can get a cheaper player that does not play UHD discs, if you do not plan to buy UHD discs.
I got this player because:
1) I needed a new player and
2) I have a 4K screen and am planning on getting 4K discs as well

But as we're in the last 2 months of the year, I tend not to buy anything to give the friendly people a chance to find something to wrap up.
StanGeek likes this.
post #30 of 548 Old 11-22-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I got this player because:
1) I needed a new player and
2) I have a 4K screen and am planning on getting 4K discs as well

But as we're in the last 2 months of the year, I tend not to buy anything to give the friendly people a chance to find something to wrap up.
You are a thoughtful person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page