Samsung UBD-M7500 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 84 Old 10-31-2017, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Samsung UBD-M7500 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

Anyone have any info on the Samsung UBD-M7500? I searched for it and found it at a few stores online but no reviews. I'm guessing it is a brand new player. I thought the K8500 was always the cheapest barebones 4K player out there.

Last edited by teachsac; 10-31-2017 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Slickdeals edited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 10-31-2017, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 2073
Info on the M7500. MSRP $299 No price/deals talk permitted outside of the designated deals' areas.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...-ubd-m7500-za/

Product Specifications

Features
Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)
CD Ripping
Samsung Smart Blu-ray™

Audio Processing
Dolby Decoding Channel 7.1 ch
DTS Decoding Channel 7.1 ch

Video Features
HDR
HD Up-Scaling
UHD Up-scale
Video Upscale (DVD)

AV Decoding Format
WMV
JPEG
MKV

Connectivity
HDMI Out 1
USB Connectivity 1
Ethernet
Optical Digital Audio Outputs

Power Consumption
Stand-by Power Consumption (Main) 0.3W
Operating Power Consumption (Main) 22W
Rating Voltage AC110-120V ~50/60Hz

Supported Media
AVCHD
DVD / DVD±R / DVD±RW
4K Blu-ray

Dimensions & Weight
Product Dimensions (W x H x D) 15.98" x 1.76" x 9.06"
Product Weight (lb.) 3.97lbs.
Shipping Dimensions (W x H x D) 18.19" x 4.57" x 11.26"
Shipping Weight (lb.) 6.17lbs.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.

Last edited by teachsac; 11-01-2017 at 07:18 PM.
post #3 of 84 Old 11-01-2017, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
No one seems to know anything about it. I pulled the trigger on it, will update when I get it.

Last edited by teachsac; 11-01-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Discusssing Black Friday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 Old 11-08-2017, 05:13 PM

Ok, so I got it. I think it's just a wired only version of a Samsung UBD-m8500, no wi-fi. It looks identical to pretty much every unboxing I've watched of the m8500.

If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer.
post #5 of 84 Old 11-09-2017, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotpizzapie View Post
Ok, so I got it. I think it's just a wired only version of a Samsung UBD-m8500, no wi-fi. It looks identical to pretty much every unboxing I've watched of the m8500.

If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer.

What file types have you tried to play over the network?

How does it handle h265, hdr, etc
post #6 of 84 Old 11-09-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
What file types have you tried to play over the network?

How does it handle h265, hdr, etc
Played a standard bluray from the network just fine. Fast forwarding was kind of broken though, like 30 second chunks then stopping. Smaller sized files didn't have that problem. Played the h265 files I have as well. HDR files work and seem to display properly. I have an .mp4 I encoded that has an inflated bitrate, and it didn't play that in a watchable state, where as a Shield TV does. I think 4k blurays have a lower bitrate than that video so it might play those just fine, I don't have a full size backup handy to test though. All the files I tested were a mix of h265/h264 in mkv or mp4 containers.

Only major issue I ran into was subtitles were displaying as black without any borders instead of white and it didn't seem to have the option to change it anywhere, all the options were grayed out. It made a foreign black and white movie impossible to watch.
SuperFist likes this.
post #7 of 84 Old 11-10-2017, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
Is the HDR Dolby Vision or HDR10?
post #8 of 84 Old 11-10-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikester1 View Post
Is the HDR Dolby Vision or HDR10?
Samsung is currently only supporting HDR10/10+ on their products.
post #9 of 84 Old 12-11-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Not a lot of information on this one. Looks like it might be the perfect UHD BD player for me. Can anyone confirm that this it the same audio / video as the M8500 and M9500? I don't need wifi and only need one HDMI out, so as long as I am getting the same A/V quality as the 8500/9500, I would love to save the money and put it toward some UHD Blu Ray discs. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Greg
post #10 of 84 Old 12-12-2017, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I can confirm that the 7500 is the same as the 8500, just is not wifi. I picked up a new Sony TV, Sony receiver and Sony 800 4k player at the same time. I found I did not like the new receiver as well as I did my 17 year old Sony receiver so took it back. I then found out that the Sony 4k player will not convert DTS to Dolby (old receiver will only decode dolby digital) so I took it back and exchanged it for the 8500. The 8500 was very loud and made some grinding noises like an old game station so I took it back for an exchange but BB was out of them and had one 7500 on the shelf so I took it and saved $30 dollars. I didn't need the wifi because my TV can do that.
Pros:
Loads discs very fast no matter if it is 4k or regular ol' DVD
Remote is small but simple
Great picture quality
It will convert DTS signals to regular Dolby Digital for those who don't want to let go of their old receiver
It will remember where you left off if you stop a movie

Cons:
It is shaped weird but I guess it is to go with the "curved" theme
The menu that pops up when you pause, change chapters, etc. stays up for way too long, takes up half the screen and is white which is no big deal unless you are watching a HDR 4k movie then it will just about blind you when it pops up. Wish it had a setting to make it semi-clear and lessen the time it takes to go away.

I did like the Sony better due to a better user interface and it seemed to have a more sturdy build to it but it would not convert DTS to DD and after much research I think the Samsungs are the only 4k players that can. Strange because my PS3 and regular Sony blu ray player can do this.
Thrust-Bot and Spock1234 like this.

Sony 55X900E, Sony STR-DE635, Sony PS3, Samsung UBD-M7500
Samsung LN46D630
post #11 of 84 Old 12-16-2017, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have purchased the M7500 to hook up through a Yamaha RX-A760 receiver. I'm getting sound and picture, however after about 5 minutes, the TV shows that the source is not found but there's still sound. I have hooked the M7500 directly to my television and it worked just fine.

Has anyone ran their Samsung M7500 through a receiver with success? Any tricks you can pass along? Thanks!
post #12 of 84 Old 12-17-2017, 02:56 AM

Sounds like a receiver problem and not the blu ray player. Have you tried switching HDMI cables or trying new cables? You may want to post this to a Yamaha receiver forum as well.

Samsung LN46D630
post #13 of 84 Old 12-17-2017, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cline View Post
I have purchased the M7500 to hook up through a Yamaha RX-A760 receiver. I'm getting sound and picture, however after about 5 minutes, the TV shows that the source is not found but there's still sound. I have hooked the M7500 directly to my television and it worked just fine.

Has anyone ran their Samsung M7500 through a receiver with success? Any tricks you can pass along? Thanks!
Hi Mike Cline, you didn't mention but check the RX-A760 receiver 4K Mode is to Mode 1.
On the receiver front panel:
- set the unit to standby mode by pressing the POWER button
- while holding down the STRAIGHT button, press the POWER button
- using the PROGRAM arrow button, find and select the 4K MODE
- press STRAIGHT button to enter the setting, then using the PROGRAM button to set the mode to MODE 1
- now press POWER button to turn the unit off and again to turn it on
post #14 of 84 Old 12-21-2017, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cline View Post

That is sort of what is happening to me, too.
Brand New.
Piping it through an Onkyo SR608 HDMI.

Powering it up often results in an empty HDMI signal to the TV (Black screen, no timeout).
Later in the day, it fires up, and runs all day, but the next day another hassle.

Lots of experimenting, but no success.
Ideas?

/edit: good cables, receiver, etc.
post #15 of 84 Old 12-23-2017, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm58 View Post
That is sort of what is happening to me, too.
Nevermind; even though I checked everything, a standard wiggle test determined the HDMI connector was not perfect.
Everything ok now.
post #16 of 84 Old 12-28-2017, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
USB to Ethernet Adapter

Help needed. (USB to Ethernet adapter — NOT Ethernet to USB adapter)

I’m trying to connect the blu-ray player to the internet.

Here’s the problem: I am stuck in the year 2002.

My DSL connects to my Mac via the yellow ethernet cable. I was hoping to remove that cable from the Mac and connect it to the blu-ray player. How would I get internet? Well, the DSL has a female USB port and came with a female-male USB cable. I would connect the female end of the blue USB cable to the DSL and the male end to the Mac.

So, Mac connected to DSL via blue USB.
Blu-ray player connected to DSL via yellow ethernet.
All is right with the world. Exceptttttt….

Verizon informs me that Mac DSL subscribers wishing to connect to the internet must link the the yellow ethernet cable to the Mac. https://www.verizon.com/support/resi...sone/88091.htm
(Indeed, I tried connecting the DSL to the Mac via the blue USB cable and, well, no internet.)

A brief search of the internet reveals numerous Ethernet-to-USB adapters. But the blu-ray player has no USB port, so those adapters aren’t helpful.

If am to make use of my blue USB cable that connects to the DSL then I need an adapter that receives the USB’s male end and adapts the signal to an ethernet cable that plugs into the blu-ray. Is that correct?

Does anyone know if such a product exists and where I might find it?

Or, am I going about this all wrong? Am I overlooking a simpler solution?

This luddite would appreciate any insights.

Thanks in advance.
post #17 of 84 Old 12-31-2017, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxloco View Post
Help needed. (USB to Ethernet adapter — NOT Ethernet to USB adapter)

I’m trying to connect the blu-ray player to the internet.

Here’s the problem: I am stuck in the year 2002.

My DSL connects to my Mac via the yellow ethernet cable. I was hoping to remove that cable from the Mac and connect it to the blu-ray player. How would I get internet? Well, the DSL has a female USB port and came with a female-male USB cable. I would connect the female end of the blue USB cable to the DSL and the male end to the Mac.

So, Mac connected to DSL via blue USB.
Blu-ray player connected to DSL via yellow ethernet.
All is right with the world. Exceptttttt….

Verizon informs me that Mac DSL subscribers wishing to connect to the internet must link the the yellow ethernet cable to the Mac. https://www.verizon.com/support/resi...sone/88091.htm
(Indeed, I tried connecting the DSL to the Mac via the blue USB cable and, well, no internet.)

A brief search of the internet reveals numerous Ethernet-to-USB adapters. But the blu-ray player has no USB port, so those adapters aren’t helpful.

If am to make use of my blue USB cable that connects to the DSL then I need an adapter that receives the USB’s male end and adapts the signal to an ethernet cable that plugs into the blu-ray. Is that correct?

Does anyone know if such a product exists and where I might find it?

Or, am I going about this all wrong? Am I overlooking a simpler solution?

This luddite would appreciate any insights.

Thanks in advance.
The easiest option is to buy a network router and run your DSL into the router which will split the signal between your MAC and the player. Your DSL modem will not send an internet signal through the USB port on it, the internet signal only will come through the Ethernet port.

Alternatively, call Verizon to see if they have DSL modem/router combos you can rent if you are not technically inclined enough to feel comfortable setting up your own router.
post #18 of 84 Old 01-01-2018, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilal2ielli View Post
The easiest option is to buy a network router and run your DSL into the router which will split the signal between your MAC and the player. Your DSL modem will not send an internet signal through the USB port on it, the internet signal only will come through the Ethernet port.

Alternatively, call Verizon to see if they have DSL modem/router combos you can rent if you are not technically inclined enough to feel comfortable setting up your own router.
Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply.

Alas, I feared the answer you gave would be the answer I would get. Nonetheless, I appreciate you taking time out to confirm my suspicion.

Best wishes.
Lxloco
post #19 of 84 Old 01-06-2018, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Replacement Remote UBD-M7500

My dog ate the remote for my Samsung UBD-M7500 where can I find a new one?
post #20 of 84 Old 01-14-2018, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have a pioneer vsx 1130. I've not really had issues until this player. I've had to force the resolution to 2160 and the color to 4:4:4. Because it drops out a lot when starting up any from the menu it loses the hdmi connection or something. But while that has fixed it for 4k blurays. Occasionally it happens in apps. Like Vudu. I've tried several different cords. They have varied in length from 1ft to 3ft. I try to keep them short. It seems bearable for now. But Amazon prime sound was dropping for half a second. Not sure if that's the 4k blipping or an app issue. Any way. Just wondering other people's experiences. I have a ps4 pro and chromecast ultra through the receiver as we with no issues like this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #21 of 84 Old 01-15-2018, 03:57 AM

This is why I do not try to use a receiver to do all the switching and would rather run all HDMI cables to the TV and sound directly to the receiver. My 7500 is starting to act up as well but more of an annoyance than anything else. I returned a new Sony receiver because I didn't like it and kept my near 20 year old Sony receiver that only decodes DD. I am using the Samsung because it is the only company that produces 4k players with the ability to convert DTS to DD. Now when I pop a movie in my receiver is only decoding pro logic not digital until I go back into the 7500 menu and change the sound settings back to normal and then back to converting DTS to DD and then the receiver starts decoding DD again. It is not a receiver problem because I have tested this with my PS3 and an older bluray player (both will convert DTS to DD) and do not have that problem.

Samsung LN46D630
post #22 of 84 Old 01-15-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpossum View Post
This is why I do not try to use a receiver to do all the switching and would rather run all HDMI cables to the TV and sound directly to the receiver. My 7500 is starting to act up as well but more of an annoyance than anything else. I returned a new Sony receiver because I didn't like it and kept my near 20 year old Sony receiver that only decodes DD. I am using the Samsung because it is the only company that produces 4k players with the ability to convert DTS to DD. Now when I pop a movie in my receiver is only decoding pro logic not digital until I go back into the 7500 menu and change the sound settings back to normal and then back to converting DTS to DD and then the receiver starts decoding DD again. It is not a receiver problem because I have tested this with my PS3 and an older bluray player (both will convert DTS to DD) and do not have that problem.
Unfortunately that won't work for me. I have more devices than the TV can support and a 7.2 system so I lose all that good sound with ARC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #23 of 84 Old 01-16-2018, 08:22 AM

I figured out the issue. it seems that there is a setting to force streaming to 24hz instead of 60hz. I think the issue was that the Player was trying to sending a 4k 60hz 4:4:4 signal through my receiver to the TV.
i think the bandwidth requirement for that is too high so thats why it kept hiccuping. That would also explain why turning it to 4:2:2 fixed it and also why playing a disc was fine because that was already defaulted to 24hz. Just in case someone else has this issue. I can't imagine a reason to stream in 60hz since pretty much all movies are 24hz anyway.
tjs1210 likes this.
post #24 of 84 Old 01-16-2018, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I didn't see any mention if this can replicate Dolby Atmos or not. Anybody know about that?

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Aperion Audio Allaire - Saving my pennies to get the Verus Grands!
post #25 of 84 Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBarra View Post
I didn't see any mention if this can replicate Dolby Atmos or not. Anybody know about that?
It supports Atmos but of course you need something to process it.
post #26 of 84 Old 01-25-2018, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So, can somebody walk me through the best way to set up the player to best take advantage of my TV? I've got a Samsung UN55KS8000 and the settings dialed in for picture quality on it, but I tested the streaming of the player (not that I'll likely use it, but more to get a feel for how it looks) and it seemed off. Can't really put my finger on what it is, but I assume letting the TV do all the video processing would be my best bet and would make everything look like I think it should.

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #27 of 84 Old 01-26-2018, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Any idea is the M7500 or M8500 will output 4K60 4:4:4 HDR from streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon) in 4K24 4:2:2 for projectors like the Epson 4000/5040ub/6040ub? I have the K8500 which does so, but I'd be interested in upgrading to the M7500 or M8500 for the newer UI... but only if it will output streaming apps in 4K24 4:2:2.

Thanks in advance!

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #28 of 84 Old 02-15-2018, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone using the media player to play 4k movies off a hard drive? I'm playing Transformers First Knight and I know it is in HDR but for some reason it isn't coming out in HDR. When I play it through my Vizio M50-e1, it is in HDR. However, audio is all messed up so I'm trying to play it thru the M7500.

Does the media player not play content in HDR? Or do I not have something selected?

Thanks in advance.

The Mole is here.
post #29 of 84 Old 03-06-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Anyone know if this Samsung M7500 has the dreaded noise filtering (which couldn’t be turned off) that gave the previous model a soft image?
post #30 of 84 Old 03-08-2018, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
Any idea is the M7500 or M8500 will output 4K60 4:4:4 HDR from streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon) in 4K24 4:2:2 for projectors like the Epson 4000/5040ub/6040ub? I have the K8500 which does so, but I'd be interested in upgrading to the M7500 or M8500 for the newer UI... but only if it will output streaming apps in 4K24 4:2:2.

Thanks in advance!
I have just set up my M7500 and have yet to play a disc yet, but I was very happy to see that the Vudu app on this player plays both 4k and HDR!!
This was a pleasant surprise, as up to this moment Vudu's website did not list this device as supporting 4K and HDR, and the native Vudu app on my tv (Sony 900e) does not support either 4K or HDR, so all of my UHD purchased movies have only played out in 1080p to this point. I will double check the Netflix and Amazon apps shortly and report back. So far, I am very happy with this player, given the low price paid for it.
Billy Williams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page