Sony UBP-X700 UHD Blu-ray player at CES 2018 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #61 of 132 Old 01-09-2018, 04:05 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9381 Post(s)
Liked: 6073
A display is another thing I'm not keen on. I'm glad they kept the X700 without a display. It's something I never use since one button press shows me much more info on the TV screen than any display shows.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 132 Old 01-09-2018, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Sony is releasing their update for the displays they said they would this month (930e, 940e, and A1e). No other Sony display was ever promised to get the DV update. Yamaha, Denon, Oppo, all released their DV updates on schedule. The only player manufacturers we are waiting on are LG and Philips. LG is rumored to be March. Panasonic has always done what they have promised, and their tentative timeline at this point is summer.
I would assume that the validation process for the DV update on an AV receiver (i.e., the Yamaha and Denon examples) is a simpler process than with a TV or Ultra BD player, since it's basically a signal passthrough.

At this juncture, we still have a lot of DV updates that have not yet occurred. Right now, the only options out of the box for a DV-enabled Ultra BD player come from Oppo. Everything else is part of the player to be named later trade.
post #63 of 132 Old 01-09-2018, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Everyone in this thread complaining, and I'm here like "all I want is a cheap 4k player that will play my UHD discs and stream apps that has Dolby Vision for a low price." Depending on the MSRP, I'll probably be getting this sooner than later.
tenthplanet and d10brp like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 132 Old 01-09-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
Everyone in this thread complaining, and I'm here like "all I want is a cheap 4k player that will play my UHD discs and stream apps that has Dolby Vision for a low price." Depending on the MSRP, I'll probably be getting this sooner than later.
Ditto. Assuming the DV update comes out in a timely fashion and the thing produces good IQ, this was exactly what I was looking for to upgrade my Philips player. The smaller design is attractive to me.

That said, I really have no reason to buy until the update comes out since I already have a functional HDR10 player. I'm also interested to see the Panasonic in action since it's possible the HDR10 tone mapping stuff will be a good fit for my OLED since Panasonic uses the same panels in their TV.

Looks like I'm putting off a player until summer regardless.
post #65 of 132 Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 202
If it's cheaper than the X800, I'll consider it. I'd prefer the full width and build-quality of the X800 but probably wouldn't pay MUCH more (maybe 10-15%?) for it. I'll be feeding front projection and possibly keeping an older AVR, so the cheapest recent UHD player with dual-HDMI output and 4K HDR capable apps will probably win the day for me when it's time to buy in a couple of months.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #66 of 132 Old 01-10-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
I have no problem with Sony introducing a cheap 4k Ultra BD player. I totally expected them to make that kind of announcement. The issue is that they did not also announce a replacement or updated version of the X800/X1000.

I bought the X800 because of its ubiquitous disc and file format compatibility, and its build quality. The X700 dumbs all of that down, and only adds DV support in a "future firmware update." Currently, I have no use for DV. But, I was hoping to have a higher quality DV/HDR10+-enabled option with the same universal disc and file format support available when I was ready to upgrade my TV to UHD. Looks like that won't be the case, since even Oppo currently has no plans to add HDR10+ support. Sony would have had an easy sale with me if they had simply added DV/HDR10+ to a new version of the X800.
SteveC356 likes this.
post #67 of 132 Old 01-10-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post
Sony would have had an easy sale with me if they had simply added DV/HDR10+ to a new version of the X800.
Something tells me it wasn't hard for them to see they'd have a lot more easy sales by lowering the cost of entry for core consumer (non-enthusiast) features and decreasing the size... I'm guessing as much as 10-to-1 for your average Best Buy shopper that ends up getting up-sold to a UHD player when they pick up a new 4K TV.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #68 of 132 Old 01-10-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
Something tells me it wasn't hard for them to see they'd have a lot more easy sales by lowering the cost of entry for core consumer (non-enthusiast) features and decreasing the size... I'm guessing as much as 10-to-1 for your average Best Buy shopper that ends up getting up-sold to a UHD player when they pick up a new 4K TV.
Agree that Sony's covering more of the consumer market with the X700. But, by orphaning the X800/X1000, they lose other sales and cede more of the enthusiast market to Oppo. I can see them updating the X1000 for the ES lineup, but that X1000's price point lines them up squarely against the Oppo 203. The X800 was perfectly positioned as the Oppo alternative at less than half the price.
post #69 of 132 Old 01-10-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agree that Sony's covering more of the consumer market with the X700. But, by orphaning the X800/X1000, they lose other sales and cede more of the enthusiast market to Oppo. I can see them updating the X1000 for the ES lineup, but that X1000's price point lines them up squarely against the Oppo 203. The X800 was perfectly positioned as the Oppo alternative at less than half the price.
Has time halted? Do you think there won't be any more Sony UHD players announced ever for perpetuity? I have a feeling the X800 replacement just needs some time to reveal itself. It's quite possible that, due to the licensing issues MANY manufacturers seem to be having with Dolby Vision, they may be sitting on that replacement until DV can be included in the box... otherwise there honestly might not be much to differentiate it from the X800 at all. Patience is a virtue.
aaronwt and SteveC356 like this.

post #70 of 132 Old 01-11-2018, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Dolby Vision Required in All Components?

Is dolby vision required in all components, such as disc player and TV, or does only one component need the capability? For example I have a Sony TV, but it does not support and I can not update it to have dolby vision for the HDR. But, can I buy the new sony player with dolby vision to gain the benefit of dolby vision? Thanks
post #71 of 132 Old 01-11-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3852 Post(s)
Liked: 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMusic View Post
Is dolby vision required in all components, such as disc player and TV, or does only one component need the capability? For example I have a Sony TV, but it does not support and I can not update it to have dolby vision for the HDR. But, can I buy the new sony player with dolby vision to gain the benefit of dolby vision? Thanks

No all components need either Dolby Vision or pass thru. your tv in this case would need Dolby Vision in order to display dv content .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #72 of 132 Old 01-11-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
All components must support Dolby Vision.

The gain in DV over HDR10 is supposed to be subtle, so it may not be worth a major expenditure to get it.

(My system supports DV, but I haven't forced HDR10 for UHD BluRay disks to compare.)
post #73 of 132 Old 01-11-2018, 11:04 AM

Thanks Bob and Chunon.

One more question. Does anyone have a comparison chart between the x700 (new smaller version) and the x800. My cursory review did not reveal any differences. Or, what is worse about the 700x? I don't care that the power supply is external and for the most part don't care what it looks like.
I am not going to sit and look at it. I am not going to keep it for that long either, maybe 5 years depending on new features that are out. Thank you.

Tech specs bad about x700?

1. No DVD audio support?
2. No HDR10+ (not sure if my TV supports this anyway)
3. No Dolby Vision (I don't care about this since TV does not support)
4. No display - I don't care - I use TV screen for info.

The best spot for my disc player is in a narrow shelf so the smaller x700 form factor is ideal, but I don't want to give up quality / specs. My TV is a Sony 900e that does not have dolby vision . So that does not matter.

Last edited by ILikeMusic; 01-11-2018 at 11:23 AM.
post #74 of 132 Old 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Bob and Chunon.

One more question. Does anyone have a comparison chart between the x700 (new smaller version) and the x800. My cursory review did not reveal any differences. Or, what is worse about the 700x? Thank you.

The best spot for my disc player is in a narrow shelf so the smaller x700 form factor is ideal, but I don't want to give up quality / specs. My TV is a Sony 900e that does not have dolby vision . So that does not matter.
Have you spec checked?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...specifications

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...specifications

The X700 looks like it is lower-end as regards high definition digital audio. If you're not into that, you may not care. It's nearly 5" narrower than the X800, which could lead to a yes/no decision based on how it fits.

I don't know whether the X700 has a sheet steel chassis similar to the X800. The X800 is much heavier than other low-cost players on the market; it may be more durable. I thought that it was quite a bargain when it could be had from major retailers for $150US. Whether it'll drop back after the X700 becomes available, I can't guess.
post #75 of 132 Old 01-11-2018, 11:35 AM

Thanks Bob. I will check it out. I guess people are disappointed Sony did not release a new high end player. Seems to me that the x700 is to fit a price point - assuming it will be less - and drops some features - which perhaps most people don't need. Sony is a company with the main goal being to sell product and make money. If you don't like the x700 the get the x800 unless it is missing something, but heck Sony does not even put the DV into their top of the line TVs so not sure a $150 disc player will get it either.

Has anyone seen anything that suggests that the video quality for BR or 4K disc is a step backwards?

I noticed the weight difference is 5 lbs. Seems like alot.

Last edited by ILikeMusic; 01-11-2018 at 11:50 AM.
post #76 of 132 Old 01-11-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Bob. I will check it out. I guess people are disappointed Sony did not release a new high end player. Seems to me that the x700 is to fit a price point - assuming it will be less - and drops some features - which perhaps most people don't need. Sony is a company with the main goal being to sell product and make money. If you don't like the x700 the get the x800 unless it is missing something, but heck Sony does not even put the DV into their top of the line TVs so not sure a $150 disc player will get it either.

Has anyone seen anything that suggests that the video quality for BR or 4K disc is a step backwards?

I noticed the weight difference is 5 lbs. Seems like alot.
I didn't notice the weight difference. That suggests that the X700 is a mostly-plastic unit, like most of the other sub-$300 players. (It weighs less than a Samsung UBD-K8500, which I owned. It was a good player, but it felt a little flimsy.) Whether there is a real advantage to the (relatively) tank-like mass of the X800, I doubt.

Image quality is debatable, but I haven't noticed large differences among a few different players. I think that the differences between TV models is much greater than between players. Player features may be more important, but I just use my player as a player. I own exactly one hybrid CD/SACD music disk, so that feature isn't a bid deal for me.
post #77 of 132 Old 01-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
Has time halted? Do you think there won't be any more Sony UHD players announced ever for perpetuity? I have a feeling the X800 replacement just needs some time to reveal itself. It's quite possible that, due to the licensing issues MANY manufacturers seem to be having with Dolby Vision, they may be sitting on that replacement until DV can be included in the box... otherwise there honestly might not be much to differentiate it from the X800 at all. Patience is a virtue.
Possibly. But, CES is normally the platform where the major manufacturers chart out their most important product announcements for the year. Sony originally announced both the H1 and the X800 at CES in January 2016 and 2017. The absence of any true replacement model announcement for the H1/X800/X1000 lineage indicates to me that it won't be happening this year.

The original H1 that introduced Sony's heavy beam box design and universal format support was more of an out-of-the-blue announcement, because it was a 4k upconverting BD player that carried a $350 MSRP but did not play 4k Ultra BDs. Sony touted both the H1 and X800 for their audio features and video performance, while leaving out the newer video capabilities. Maybe Sony's waiting for the right time to add both DV and HDR10+, and is fine with letting the X800 carry on more as a high res audio player. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes, because the DV rollout has not gone smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs
The X700 looks like it is lower-end as regards high definition digital audio. If you're not into that, you may not care. It's nearly 5" narrower than the X800, which could lead to a yes/no decision based on how it fits.

I don't know whether the X700 has a sheet steel chassis similar to the X800. The X800 is much heavier than other low-cost players on the market; it may be more durable. I thought that it was quite a bargain when it could be had from major retailers for $150US. Whether it'll drop back after the X700 becomes available, I can't guess.
The X700 weighs 3.1 lbs. while the X800 weighs 8.4 lbs. That's a sure sign that the X700 stripped the chassis down to the bare minimum and mounts all of the components directly onto the enclosure. The X800 was built around isolating the signal paths and dampening internal vibrations. Instead of loose wires taped or ziptied together, the wiring is separated and securely fastened down. The drive is mounted inside a shielded enclosure. Lot of attention to little details that you don't see in competing models. This is the same approach you see with higher end audio components, and Sony heavily pitched the H1 and X800 to the audiophile market. Here are some pictures I shot of the inside of the X800.

The MSRP on the X800 has gone back up to $250. So, it looks like Sony might be trying to re-establish the X800 as the "higher end" model, even though it lacks DV. The X700 will likely undercut the other 4k Ultra BD players currently on the market. My understanding is that the Mediatek chipset used in the X800 doesn't have the processing capability needed to support DV, so Sony can't just add the feature via firmware update.
maxi_mus likes this.

Last edited by Woochifer; 01-11-2018 at 04:51 PM.
post #78 of 132 Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

The MSRP on the X800 has gone back up to $250. So, it looks like Sony might be trying to re-establish the X800 as the "higher end" model, even though it lacks DV. The X700 will likely undercut the other 4k Ultra BD players currently on the market. My understanding is that the Mediatek chipset used in the X800 doesn't have the processing capability needed to support DV, so Sony can't just add the feature via firmware update.
It would be funny if they are just keeping DV on the X800 a secret and that is why a lower end model is being introduced this year. That is wishful thinking though from everything I've read and what has been said by Sony.
post #79 of 132 Old 01-12-2018, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
It says 2 HDMI connectors - does this mean this player can outout video and audio on separate HDMI cables?
post #80 of 132 Old 01-12-2018, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
It says 2 HDMI connectors - does this mean this player can outout video and audio on separate HDMI cables?
One would think, but without the manual, that’s just speculation.
post #81 of 132 Old 01-12-2018, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Quote:
One would think, but without the manual, that?s just speculation.
It definitely can! Sony website says it can bitstream Atmos and if they show pics of back and there is an audio out HDMI and Video HDMI.
fafrd likes this.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #82 of 132 Old 01-12-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#5f2555b02906

so now that TV firmware updates will be rolling out to resolve the less-than-black bars on DV content via UHD, you would think these 2018 players should have Dolby Vision either enabled on the player, when they are shipped to stores, or a firmware to enable it, on the first day available

Sony has stated the 700 has the processing to support DV but the 800/1000 models do not, so don't expect firmware updates to enable DV on the 2017 Sony UHD players
post #83 of 132 Old 01-12-2018, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
just got my ubp-x800 today

it was bundled with spiderman: homecoming which has dolby vision

i don't know whether to laugh or cry, joke aside - i don't think there's any thought behind this from sonys side, however, if it was, this could be a hint

i think it was bundled with tom hanks inferno earlier, just a thought
post #84 of 132 Old 01-12-2018, 02:22 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubp-x800 View Post
just got my ubp-x800 today

it was bundled with spiderman: homecoming which has dolby vision

i don't know whether to laugh or cry, joke aside - i don't think there's any thought behind this from sonys side, however, if it was, this could be a hint

i think it was bundled with tom hanks inferno earlier, just a thought
Originally we got several free movies with the purchase of the X800. You just had to go online to redeem them and they mailed you the UHD BD titles.

Does Sony plan on giving any free UHD BD movies with the purchase of an X700?

Last edited by aaronwt; 01-12-2018 at 02:35 PM.
post #85 of 132 Old 01-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Originally we got several free movies with the purchase of the X800. You just had to go online to redeem them and they mailed you the UHD BD titles.

Does Sony plan on giving any free UHD BD movies with the purchase of an X700?
I didn't get anything with my player. I guess they cut out the freebies as the price dropped.
post #86 of 132 Old 01-13-2018, 12:29 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorge View Post
I didn't get anything with my player. I guess they cut out the freebies as the price dropped.
I think it ended by Summer.

post #87 of 132 Old 01-18-2018, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
The original article claimed thet the X700 would be available 'this month' - anyone seen any signs if that yet?

The while DV fiasco obviously needs to sort itself out over the coming months, but after that, is there any other big negative the X700 has other than possibly lower-end build-quality? Any critical features it is missing?
post #88 of 132 Old 01-18-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
The original article claimed thet the X700 would be available 'this month' - anyone seen any signs if that yet?

The while DV fiasco obviously needs to sort itself out over the coming months, but after that, is there any other big negative the X700 has other than possibly lower-end build-quality? Any critical features it is missing?
The main missing features on the X700 are on the audio side. It removes DVD-Audio support, the DSEE HX upconversion feature, and Bluetooth. Also, they removed the internal power supply, so it now requires an external power brick AC adapter. The X800 also plays VCDs -- a legacy video format that predates the DVD and is not supported by most optical players. Not sure if the X700 removes that feature as well.
post #89 of 132 Old 01-18-2018, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Take a look at that spec's page posted above. Here it is again: https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...specifications
Picture clearly shows one HDMI as Video/Audio and the other as Audio only. I guess the only question is can it output both simultaneously.
post #90 of 132 Old 01-19-2018, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
One would think, but without the manual, that’s just speculation.
Here's the manual
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s.../46984071M.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ28462 View Post
Picture clearly shows one HDMI as Video/Audio and the other as Audio only. I guess the only question is can it output both simultaneously.
Option 2 on page 12 shows it connected to the TV on HDMI 1 and non-4K receiver on HDMI 2, so it'll be able to output both simultaneously.

Last edited by neod192; 01-19-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
ces 2018 , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page