OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2169Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3361 of 3828 Old 09-29-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,684
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaibhav Goyal View Post
Still looking for a answer.

Also does anybody have both UBP-X700 and Panasonic UB820? I have both these players and didn't find much difference. Yes, Panasonic has automatic DV switching but it is also more complicated, doesn't have VUDU app and costs a lot more. I have Sony 65X950G TV if it matters. Pls post your thoughts. Thanks.
I have both. The Panny is quite a bit slower (with quick start disabled). I actually prefer the X700 except for the manual DV switching. The X700 also plays SACD which the Panny doesn't, but the X700 requires the owner to flip flop between 2 channel and multichannel SACD output (similar to the manual DV switching).

I got a great deal on the Panny, otherwise it wouldn't have been worth the cost IMO.
galonzo likes this.
PlanetAVS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3362 of 3828 Old 09-29-2019, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I have both. The Panny is quite a bit slower (with quick start disabled). I actually prefer the X700 except for the manual DV switching. The X700 also plays SACD which the Panny doesn't, but the X700 requires the owner to flip flop between 2 channel and multichannel SACD output (similar to the manual DV switching).

I got a great deal on the Panny, otherwise it wouldn't have been worth the cost IMO.
I almost sprang for the Panny also (full price), but ultimately saw limited advantage over the X700 as I really don't need the advanced tone mapping options on my Z9D. I paid attention to those who noted the ventilation needs of the X700. My setup requires that I put my cable box on top of the X700, so I added adhesive feet to double the air gap between them. So far, so good.
shark91962 is offline  
post #3363 of 3828 Old 09-30-2019, 03:10 AM
Senior Member
 
paulman182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
Are you using a certified premium HDMI cable? Did you turn on the 'Full UHD Color' in the Input Settings menu for the HDMI port you are using?
The cable could be the issue. I'll check it if the issue persists, thanks.
paulman182 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3364 of 3828 Old 10-01-2019, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
PatrickGSR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post
For this player it could be overheating. Keep the top and sides clear in a well ventilated area. That may be your problem.

Yeah it's clear all around, but it does sit on top of my DirecTV Genie DVR box.


So in case anyone has issues getting the player app menu to show up on a 4K TV, I just had this issue last night when setting up a new Vizio V556 55" 4K set. Discs play fine, but the menu won't display. All my sources go through an Onkyo HDMI switching AVR to the TV. Well it turns out the cable from the AVR to the TV apparently couldn't handle the 4K/60Hz signal coming from this player for the menu. It was a Monoprice Redmere 36AWG active HDMI cable from a few years ago. I swapped it for a standard 24AWG 18GBPS Monoprice cable and now the menu comes up fine.
PatrickGSR94 is offline  
post #3365 of 3828 Old 10-03-2019, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jim Kiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: MN
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
Yeah it's clear all around, but it does sit on top of my DirecTV Genie DVR box.


So in case anyone has issues getting the player app menu to show up on a 4K TV, I just had this issue last night when setting up a new Vizio V556 55" 4K set. Discs play fine, but the menu won't display. All my sources go through an Onkyo HDMI switching AVR to the TV. Well it turns out the cable from the AVR to the TV apparently couldn't handle the 4K/60Hz signal coming from this player for the menu. It was a Monoprice Redmere 36AWG active HDMI cable from a few years ago. I swapped it for a standard 24AWG 18GBPS Monoprice cable and now the menu comes up fine.
I would get it off that DVR since those things do not power down, at least my parents back in the day never shut off.
galonzo likes this.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
Jim Kiler is offline  
post #3366 of 3828 Old 10-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
cassnlogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Navarre, FL
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I just ordered one of these units to replace an older Panasonic Bluray player. Got a birthday coming up and thought I would treat myself. I don't have any 4K discs and probably won't buy any, but I'm hoping my regular blur ays will be improved using the Sony.
cassnlogan is online now  
post #3367 of 3828 Old 10-05-2019, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassnlogan View Post
I just ordered one of these units to replace an older Panasonic Bluray player. Got a birthday coming up and thought I would treat myself. I don't have any 4K discs and probably won't buy any, but I'm hoping my regular blur ays will be improved using the Sony.
It also works as excellent UHD media player from other sources (streaming, usb, local network).
galonzo and shark91962 like this.
priitv8 is offline  
post #3368 of 3828 Old 10-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassnlogan View Post
I just ordered one of these units to replace an older Panasonic Bluray player. Got a birthday coming up and thought I would treat myself. I don't have any 4K discs and probably won't buy any, but I'm hoping my regular blur ays will be improved using the Sony.
Depending on the quality of upscaling on your TV, the X700 does a great job in it's own right. The X1 Extreme processor on my Z9D is top notch, but the X700 seems to do just as good with standard blu-rays. Not to mention you get the good version of the Vudu app, though I did notice that an update to my Samsung HU9000 Vudu app brought a cool option to play movie trailers directly from the icon for purchased films. I hope Sony follows suit.
shark91962 is offline  
post #3369 of 3828 Old 10-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
cassnlogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Navarre, FL
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark91962 View Post
Depending on the quality of upscaling on your TV, the X700 does a great job in it's own right. The X1 Extreme processor on my Z9D is top notch, but the X700 seems to do just as good with standard blu-rays. Not to mention you get the good version of the Vudu app, though I did notice that an update to my Samsung HU9000 Vudu app brought a cool option to play movie trailers directly from the icon for purchased films. I hope Sony follows suit.
Thanks for the input, Shark. I have a Sony 900F which also has a very good processor. I didn't realize there was more than 1 version of Vudu and I do use it occasionally, so I'll check it out. But it was time to retire my Panasonic and got a good deal on the Sony, so we'll see. I'll just use the Panasonic as a CD player now.
cassnlogan is online now  
post #3370 of 3828 Old 10-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 130
You also have the X1 Extreme processor in your X900F cassnlogan, so your best bet is to turn off 4K upscaling in the X700 menu to allow the TV to handle it. Sony has always been known for excellent upscaling of HD sources.

Sony XBR-65Z9D, Sony UBP-X700, Onkyo TX-NR686 THX 7.2 Receiver
Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Speakers
Sennheiser RS185 and RS165 Headphones, Roku 4k Streaming Stick+
shark91962 is offline  
post #3371 of 3828 Old 10-06-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 3,355
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I have both. The Panny is quite a bit slower (with quick start disabled). I actually prefer the X700 except for the manual DV switching. The X700 also plays SACD which the Panny doesn't, but the X700 requires the owner to flip flop between 2 channel and multichannel SACD output (similar to the manual DV switching).

I got a great deal on the Panny, otherwise it wouldn't have been worth the cost IMO.
Normally I use my AppleTV for DV and Atmos streaming but I think their Atmos is poor. Do the X700 Netflix and other builtin Apps do Atmos? I like my Oppo 203, but I need better Atmos from streaming Apps.

Edit: After more research, it looks like the answer is still No for Netflix, but yes for Vudu and Amazon.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by naustin; 10-06-2019 at 12:13 PM.
naustin is online now  
post #3372 of 3828 Old 10-06-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,684
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Normally I use my AppleTV for DV and Atmos streaming but I think their Atmos is poor. Do the X700 Netflix and other builtin Apps do Atmos? I like my Oppo 203, but I need better Atmos from streaming Apps.
The VUDU app does ATMOS but the Netflix app doesn't. The ATV4K ATMOS is as good as it gets for streaming, what is it that you don't like?
mjwagner likes this.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #3373 of 3828 Old 10-06-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 3,355
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
The VUDU app does ATMOS but the Netflix app doesn't. The ATV4K ATMOS is as good as it gets for streaming, what is it that you don't like?
Thanks for the quick reply. I like my ATV4K but it seems like the LFE or bass isn't very powerful unless I really crank it up.
naustin is online now  
post #3374 of 3828 Old 10-07-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
The VUDU app does ATMOS but the Netflix app doesn't. The ATV4K ATMOS is as good as it gets for streaming, what is it that you don't like?
I have found that the video quality of 4K hdr movies using the VUDU app on my x700 is noticeably poor compared to the same movie in 4k hdr using the VUDU app on my ATV 4K, at least in my environment. YMMV.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #3375 of 3828 Old 10-07-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Normally I use my AppleTV for DV and Atmos streaming but I think their Atmos is poor. Do the X700 Netflix and other builtin Apps do Atmos? I like my Oppo 203, but I need better Atmos from streaming Apps.

Edit: After more research, it looks like the answer is still No for Netflix, but yes for Vudu and Amazon.
I have found the ATMOS sound quality (and video quality for that matter) using the VUDU app running on my ATV 4K to be as close to the BR disc as I have found using streaming devices.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #3376 of 3828 Old 10-07-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 3,355
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I have found the ATMOS sound quality (and video quality for that matter) using the VUDU app running on my ATV 4K to be as close to the BR disc as I have found using streaming devices.
Thanks, maybe it was just the iTunes version of Godzilla King of Monsters. Next time I'll use the Vudu version.
naustin is online now  
post #3377 of 3828 Old 10-07-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Thanks, maybe it was just the iTunes version of Godzilla King of Monsters. Next time I'll use the Vudu version.
To be clear, I was comparing the VUDU app running on the ATV 4K vs the VUDU app running on the x700. I really don’t use the iTunes app very often so have never really compared the VUDU app vs the iTunes app both running on the ATV 4K. Net is the VUDU app running on the x700 is not very good in terms of video quality IMO.
naustin likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #3378 of 3828 Old 10-08-2019, 07:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I have found that the video quality of 4K hdr movies using the VUDU app on my x700 is noticeably poor compared to the same movie in 4k hdr using the VUDU app on my ATV 4K, at least in my environment. YMMV.
Yeah, my experience does vary. At least a little. My 4K blu-ray of Godzilla is certainly better than the Vudu version of the same, but the streaming quality is surprisingly good on the X700. I don't have an ATV 4K to compare and my Roku doesn't do DV (yes, disappointingly), but I will try the Vudu app built into my Z9D. I'm guessing it won't be much different as both streams will be upscaled by the X1 Extreme processor. Are you using the X700 to upscale the Vudu stream or your TV? I've never tried allowing the X700 to upscale as I'm assuming the chipset in my TV is superior. Sorry for the long post; I'm kind of thinking out loud. 🤔
shark91962 is offline  
post #3379 of 3828 Old 10-11-2019, 01:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: chicago
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Just ordered it! And I don't even have a 4k TV yet!
hey how did you like it?
SarahR is offline  
post #3380 of 3828 Old 10-12-2019, 08:24 AM
Member
 
bgalakazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsman View Post
Good to know but who cares. All I know is Nvida works perfectly with all mkv's, 100%, UHD, TrueHD, ATMOS whatever without futzing around with the files while Sony X700 does not. All the same files Sony x700 would not play, the Nvidai does play......thats all I need to know. I dont need to know what a bit or byte or nibble or a nkv or m2ts is......all I need to know is the Nvidia Shield works and plays video and audio 100% of the time........Sony X700 does not. And even when sony does works its only becuase there is a 2nd compatible audio stream embedded that can be chosen.
Old but nevertheless... X700 plays actual blurays, Shield doesn't. X700 has DV support as well. If all you want to do is pirate MKVs, then get the shield by all means. Sounds like you want stuff to "just work". Easy - buy the content and it will always just work.
schmegs, slimm, galonzo and 4 others like this.

LG C8 55" OLED | Sony UBP-X700 | Onkyo TX-RZ830 | Klipsch RF-82 II | Klipsch RC-62 II | Klipsch RB-51 II | Klipsch RP-500SA | SVS PB1000
bgalakazam is online now  
post #3381 of 3828 Old 10-18-2019, 03:41 AM
Senior Member
 
paulman182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm still having trouble with my player interfacing with my new Vizio M-series TV.

My problems have been occasionally no video, sometimes no video or audio, and sometimes the TV reports the player outputting 1080p even when I have the options set to automatic and I'm viewing a 4K UHD Blu ray. I can never get streaming video to work for long, but that's not too important because I use the app on the Vizio for Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I have tried three cables and three different inputs on the TV, most recently using a certified Monster cable that I bought yesterday.

I can eventually get the video to show up by either turning the Sony player off and back on, or unplugging the power for a couple of minutes and trying again. Sometimes, though, it takes a few tries.

I can live with this if I have to, especially if the problem is with the TV, because I can always eventually get it to work, but I think I'm going to Wally World today and buy the LG 4K UHD player they sell and see if there is any difference.

I have lost the receipt for the Sony and thrown out the box, so if the player is the problem, I'm stuck with it.
paulman182 is offline  
post #3382 of 3828 Old 10-18-2019, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulman182 View Post
I'm still having trouble with my player interfacing with my new Vizio M-series TV.

My problems have been occasionally no video, sometimes no video or audio, and sometimes the TV reports the player outputting 1080p even when I have the options set to automatic and I'm viewing a 4K UHD Blu ray. I can never get streaming video to work for long, but that's not too important because I use the app on the Vizio for Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I have tried three cables and three different inputs on the TV, most recently using a certified Monster cable that I bought yesterday.

I can eventually get the video to show up by either turning the Sony player off and back on, or unplugging the power for a couple of minutes and trying again. Sometimes, though, it takes a few tries.

I can live with this if I have to, especially if the problem is with the TV, because I can always eventually get it to work, but I think I'm going to Wally World today and buy the LG 4K UHD player they sell and see if there is any difference.

I have lost the receipt for the Sony and thrown out the box, so if the player is the problem, I'm stuck with it.
...and take the overpriced Monster cable back. Complete waste of money. You can get a Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI cable (I prefer the ultra slim) in 6 foot length on Amazon for less than $8. No reason to spend any more than that!
galonzo likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #3383 of 3828 Old 10-18-2019, 05:59 AM
Senior Member
 
paulman182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
...and take the overpriced Monster cable back. Complete waste of money. You can get a Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI cable (I prefer the ultra slim) in 6 foot length on Amazon for less than $8. No reason to spend any more than that!
The reason to spend Monster cable prices was that all I had to do was go to the store and do my troubleshooting within minutes.

I know all about Monoprice, bought their stuff before.
paulman182 is offline  
post #3384 of 3828 Old 10-18-2019, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulman182 View Post
The reason to spend Monster cable prices was that all I had to do was go to the store and do my troubleshooting within minutes.

I know all about Monoprice, bought their stuff before.
No worries. That post was for anyone else who may be reading...you would be surprised how many people still drink the Monster kool-aid...LOL
galonzo likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #3385 of 3828 Old 10-18-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,283
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 2993
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
No worries. That post was for anyone else who may be reading...you would be surprised how many people still drink the Monster kool-aid...LOL
Just an add-on for those who have chewy pets, consider Monoprice Commercial Series cable.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #3386 of 3828 Old 10-20-2019, 06:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have been having constant issues with my player since I got it in January of this year. I have the Sony XBR75Z9D, and initially bought the 800 Bluray player at Best Buy, but then exchanged it for the 700 about 2 weeks later to get Dolby Vision. I had no issues with the 800, but on the 700 I started getting random lockups mid-movie when playing discs, which seemed to get worse and worse. I saw several reports of other users complaining about the same issue, so went through all the troubleshooting steps they had posted they tried, or Sony had them try, including menu item settings including I had set Enhanced on HDMI 2 and 3, different HDMI cables, connecting directly to the TV instead of through the pre-amp, even tried the questionable "bypass your surge protector and plug it directly into the wall". Finally I bought a second 700 to try, and that had the same lockup problem so I returned it immediately, keeping the original.

I finally called Sony and went through all the steps I had tried, the tech had me try one more thing: try streaming options and see if the player still locks up. Even though I use the TV for streaming, I tested and lo and behold, it locked up again. The tech then said I had done everything that was on their list, so they were going to exchange it for another 700. I packed everything up, hooked up my old Sony 3D 1080p player and shipped off the 700. I do have to admit, it was wonderful having my old 3D player back, no issues at all, other than I couldn't play 4K content.

Fast forward to getting the replacement 700, no other changes to my systems from the first two 700s, and I am having now having the same intermittent issue paulman182 is having. Intermittently the player doesn't recognize I have a 3D setup, or that I have a 4K setup, or no sound, and I have to turn the 700 off and on again, sometimes that works and sometimes I have to restart it a couple of times. Recently, it has started to lockup again on a couple of movies, not as often as before, but still annoying. So, now I am starting to get the original problem back, plus some interesting new ones.

I've read some users simply can't get this player to stop locking up during movies and their only solution is to buy a completely different model, I understand some will auto-detect Dolby Vision now, which sounds wonderful. So, if I want to try to resolve this by Christmas, any suggestions? I figure my options are: 1) Keep pursuing getting this 700 working with Sony (it's still under warranty), 2) Buy a different 4K & 3D model, one that also automatically detects Dolby Vision or 3) Hook up my old Sony 3D player which works beautifully and buy a kick ass 4K Blu-ray player that is dedicated to 4K only and auto-detects Dolby Vision.

So, any suggestions? If it's best to write off the 700 and buy a completely different brand/model, any suggestions for that perfect model to pair with the Z9D?
HypnoticSpeck is offline  
post #3387 of 3828 Old 10-20-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,684
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoticSpeck View Post
I have been having constant issues with my player since I got it in January of this year. I have the Sony XBR75Z9D, and initially bought the 800 Bluray player at Best Buy, but then exchanged it for the 700 about 2 weeks later to get Dolby Vision. I had no issues with the 800, but on the 700 I started getting random lockups mid-movie when playing discs, which seemed to get worse and worse. I saw several reports of other users complaining about the same issue, so went through all the troubleshooting steps they had posted they tried, or Sony had them try, including menu item settings including I had set Enhanced on HDMI 2 and 3, different HDMI cables, connecting directly to the TV instead of through the pre-amp, even tried the questionable "bypass your surge protector and plug it directly into the wall". Finally I bought a second 700 to try, and that had the same lockup problem so I returned it immediately, keeping the original.

I finally called Sony and went through all the steps I had tried, the tech had me try one more thing: try streaming options and see if the player still locks up. Even though I use the TV for streaming, I tested and lo and behold, it locked up again. The tech then said I had done everything that was on their list, so they were going to exchange it for another 700. I packed everything up, hooked up my old Sony 3D 1080p player and shipped off the 700. I do have to admit, it was wonderful having my old 3D player back, no issues at all, other than I couldn't play 4K content.

Fast forward to getting the replacement 700, no other changes to my systems from the first two 700s, and I am having now having the same intermittent issue paulman182 is having. Intermittently the player doesn't recognize I have a 3D setup, or that I have a 4K setup, or no sound, and I have to turn the 700 off and on again, sometimes that works and sometimes I have to restart it a couple of times. Recently, it has started to lockup again on a couple of movies, not as often as before, but still annoying. So, now I am starting to get the original problem back, plus some interesting new ones.

I've read some users simply can't get this player to stop locking up during movies and their only solution is to buy a completely different model, I understand some will auto-detect Dolby Vision now, which sounds wonderful. So, if I want to try to resolve this by Christmas, any suggestions? I figure my options are: 1) Keep pursuing getting this 700 working with Sony (it's still under warranty), 2) Buy a different 4K & 3D model, one that also automatically detects Dolby Vision or 3) Hook up my old Sony 3D player which works beautifully and buy a kick ass 4K Blu-ray player that is dedicated to 4K only and auto-detects Dolby Vision.

So, any suggestions? If it's best to write off the 700 and buy a completely different brand/model, any suggestions for that perfect model to pair with the Z9D?
Assuming that you have tried factory resets and the new cables you have been using are CERTIFIED premium HDMI cables (yes the "certified" designation matters), I'd switch players. Keep in mind that you'll need to select a player compatible with the Sony Dolby Vision profile on your Z9D. Only the Sonys (with no auto DV detection) and the Panasonic UB820 will fit the bill (under $500)
galonzo likes this.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #3388 of 3828 Old 10-21-2019, 02:17 AM
Senior Member
 
paulman182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sorry to hear about other users having issues with the Sony.

I bought the LG unit that Wal Mart sells and so far, it is working perfectly, with the same TV and cable that the Sony intermittently did not like.

The LG has the additional benefit of automatically sensing Dolby Vision and turning it on.

The LG is also bigger, heavier, and gives the physical impression of being a better unit. It has only YouTube and Netflix for apps, but I can get Amazon Prime on the TV. Netflix works great on the LG.

So far, so good.
paulman182 is offline  
post #3389 of 3828 Old 10-21-2019, 05:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What a find weird is that everytime I get power to my X700 it will boot up shortly only for few seconds and then will go off again. I hear a bit the drive waking up. For all my electrical devices I have multiple sockets which I turn off when I leave my department. Is there an option within the player to turn this off?
dc_coder_84 is offline  
post #3390 of 3828 Old 10-21-2019, 06:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark91962 View Post
You also have the X1 Extreme processor in your X900F cassnlogan, so your best bet is to turn off 4K upscaling in the X700 menu to allow the TV to handle it. Sony has always been known for excellent upscaling of HD sources.
You can't turn off upscaling on the X700 player since it doesn't have a "source direct" output mode. My advice is to select "automatic".
aalb1970 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bluray , hdmi , soundbar

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off