OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1991Likes

post #3481 of 3501 Old 11-27-2019, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Does your soundbar have any HDMI inputs that you could use? The x700 has two HDMI outputs one for audio only. If you can connect one HDMI out to your TV and the audio only HDMI output to your soundbar and don't use ARC when using your x700. You will have to change some settings on the x700 to enable the audio out on the second HDMI output.
Yes, my soundbar has HDMI inputs. I will test it asap and let you know if it works. Do you have any idea of the settings to change on the x700 to make it work perfectly ?

I already thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3501 Old 11-27-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross1994 View Post
Yes, my soundbar has HDMI inputs. I will test it asap and let you know if it works. Do you have any idea of the settings to change on the x700 to make it work perfectly ?

I already thank you
For the audio, first make sure you are using the correct HDMI outputs. One is "Audio Only" (HDMI 2), that is the one you want to connect to your soundbar. The other is marked "Video/Audio" (HDMI 1), that is the one you want to connect to your TV. In settings go to System Settings", "HDMI Audio Output" and set it to HDMI 2. On your TV you will need to select whatever HDMI input you have the x700 connected to and on your soundbar you need to select whichever HDMI input you have the "Audio Only" (HDMI 2) from the x700 connected to. That should do it.
galonzo likes this.

Mark
post #3483 of 3501 Old 11-27-2019, 10:34 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
For the audio, first make sure you are using the correct HDMI outputs. One is "Audio Only" (HDMI 2), that is the one you want to connect to your soundbar. The other is marked "Video/Audio" (HDMI 1), that is the one you want to connect to your TV. In settings go to System Settings", "HDMI Audio Output" and set it to HDMI 2. On your TV you will need to select whatever HDMI input you have the x700 connected to and on your soundbar you need to select whichever HDMI input you have the "Audio Only" (HDMI 2) from the x700 connected to. That should do it.
I just made the test with your proposition and it was perfectly working !!! So thanks a lot, really, you saved my day I will have to see if it works on the long term but thank you.

Have a nice day.
mjwagner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3484 of 3501 Old 11-27-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross1994 View Post
I just made the test with your proposition and it was perfectly working !!! So thanks a lot, really, you saved my day I will have to see if it works on the long term but thank you.

Have a nice day.
Yw, glad I was able to help.

Mark
post #3485 of 3501 Old 11-27-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Can't get into home screen:

I have a Denon 3600 with a Sony VW 295ES, SecurOmax 4K cables and the x700. It is shipped with Dolby Vision...I can't get into the home page.The tray works ok, the receiver and pj are ok but nothing is showing up on the screen. Receiver is set to Blu-Ray..Any tips will be helpful....thanks in advance.

post #3486 of 3501 Old 11-27-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Can't get into home screen:

I have a Denon 3600 with a Sony VW 295ES, SecurOmax 4K cables and the x700. It is shipped with Dolby Vision...I can't get into the home page.The tray works ok, the receiver and pj are ok but nothing is showing up on the screen. Receiver is set to Blu-Ray..Any tips will be helpful....thanks in advance.
If you play a 1080 source, does it show up? The X700 menus use 60fps and the consistent cause of them not showing (when content plays fine) is there being a HDMI cable problem somewhere in the chain as the 60fps uses close to max bandwidth.
galonzo likes this.

Sony XBR-65A9F, Sony UBP-X700, Denon AVR-890 (cooled by AC Infinity AIRCOM T10), Apple TV 4K, HDFury Vertex, B&W 600 series & LM1s in 7.1 config, Harmony Elite
post #3487 of 3501 Old 11-27-2019, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsngaiouser View Post
If you play a 1080 source, does it show up? The X700 menus use 60fps and the consistent cause of them not showing (when content plays fine) is there being a HDMI cable problem somewhere in the chain as the 60fps uses close to max bandwidth.
It’s a problem with Denon. I had same issue when I had a Denon AVR. I got a LG SKC9 and the issue went away.
post #3488 of 3501 Old 11-27-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk114 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsngaiouser View Post
It’️s a problem with Denon. I had same issue when I had a Denon AVR. I got a LG SKC9 and the issue went away.
A bit premature in the troubleshooting process to blame the Denon.
The OP should try
1. connecting the x700 directly to the projector.
2. If that works ok, then use the other HDMI cable from the chain to connect directly to the projector.

If either of the cables doesn’t work, replace them with Premium Certified 18Gbps cables (with the hologram). Experience from others is that non certified cables, even if they claim to be 18Gbps, sometimes don’t work. The long signal run to a projector makes the cable even more critical.

A couple of certified cables is cheaper than replacing the AVR.
mjwagner likes this.

Sony XBR-65A9F, Sony UBP-X700, Denon AVR-890 (cooled by AC Infinity AIRCOM T10), Apple TV 4K, HDFury Vertex, B&W 600 series & LM1s in 7.1 config, Harmony Elite
post #3489 of 3501 Old 11-29-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 392
thanks for the help. A HELP button and taking the power cord in and out solved the problem..I should have pushed the Help button instead of menu button first..My bad, thanks for the help

post #3490 of 3501 Old 11-30-2019, 08:34 AM

Liked: 0
Followup on X700/X700 Smooth Motion

Just wanted to give an update for anyone that was following along on this. It turns out the X700 plays 24p content (motion) about the same as a PlayStation 3 (if it smooths motion it's barely an increase from the 24p PS3) so I will be keeping the X700. The X800 still needs to be hooked up again and retested but had the most smoothing (though there again now that I have a PS3 to compare it with maybe it wont be as bad though I did notice it). If I have time soon to re-test the X800 I will, but I think I'm just going to sell it and grab another X700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronicals View Post
I have a question for all owners of this player. So I had been using a Sony PlayStation 3 as my Blu-Ray player for ten years until mine broke about a year ago (and that had perfect 24p playback). So I purchased the X800. I am super sensitive to motion interpolation/soap opera/smooth motion effect and really can only watch movies at the theater or on a DLP projector which does the best for me for matching the motion of 24p, the way most movie theaters do (my fiancee thinks I am crazy and cannot see any difference). So the first thing I noticed with the X800 is the application of some motion interpolation/smooth motion and I can clearly see that motion is smoothed out on that player. Really noticeable when people turn their heads or the camera pans. So I decided to try the X700 which unfortunately seems to have it also and after reading further seems to share the same engine as the X800. I tried looking through the X800 and X700 threads but could not find anyone else really noticing the issue. Is there anyone who has noticed it and either found a solution or found another player that doesn't have it. I was considering trying a Panasonic but I do not want to spend that much for the UB820. I guess for now I'm going to pick up another used PS3 or try an LG UHD player or something.

I'm gonna post this in the X800 thread also.

Thanks,
B
post #3491 of 3501 Old 12-02-2019, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What's up all. I'm looking to purchase a 4k player and have been eyeing this for a while. Questions are how is the player working for everyone. What I mean is I've read ppl sat this player freezes, audio is jerky...I was interested in the panasonic ub420 but no DV. I know the 700 you have to manually turn it on/ off and right now I don't think that bothers me. One thing I'm curious on is I've read some ppl say theyve gone from a 700 to the 420 and pq and AQ is much better on the panny. Is the Sony that bad or are they not picking. Only have 10 4k's but looking to increase that but spending 500+ on the better ones I can't justify.
Just curious on ppls experience and if they would purchase again?

Thanks all
post #3492 of 3501 Old 12-03-2019, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5347 View Post
What's up all. I'm looking to purchase a 4k player and have been eyeing this for a while. Questions are how is the player working for everyone. What I mean is I've read ppl sat this player freezes, audio is jerky...I was interested in the panasonic ub420 but no DV. I know the 700 you have to manually turn it on/ off and right now I don't think that bothers me. One thing I'm curious on is I've read some ppl say theyve gone from a 700 to the 420 and pq and AQ is much better on the panny. Is the Sony that bad or are they not picking. Only have 10 4k's but looking to increase that but spending 500+ on the better ones I can't justify.
Just curious on ppls experience and if they would purchase again?

Thanks all
I would not purchase again for use with my new Vizio M-series TV. Lots of video dropouts and lockups that required rebooting the player.

The comparable LG that I replaced it with has worked perfectly with the same TV.

Also, the Sony works well with my 3 year old Vizio M-series that is 4K, but not UHD, so I still use it some.

YMMV!
Jeff5347 likes this.
post #3493 of 3501 Old 12-03-2019, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I've said it many times throughout this thread, but I have never had a single lockup with this player. I wipe off all of the discs I play before I insert them (new or old), and it has played everything without flaw and with excellent picture quality. I've had people be amazed at the quality that a good old DVD displays using this machine, so I have absolutely no complaints or regrets about buying it.
post #3494 of 3501 Old 12-03-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Agreed. I've had this unit for over a year. Not a single problem.
Rich
post #3495 of 3501 Old 12-03-2019, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 284
My latest X700 I’ve had for about 7 or so months also has not had a single hiccup. I say latest cause I returned my first and tried a UB820 that I personally didn’t feel was worth the extra money for auto DV but that’s a different topic, however I went back to the X700.

I’m also 12 movies into my new X800m2 without any problems either. I wanted the nicer build quality of the X800m2 and needed a player for the new X900F TV in the family room anyway so the X700 was moved to there and still working just fine.

As someone that had plenty of problems with multiple of the first X800, excuse me while I find some wood to knock on now lol.
galonzo and PlanetAVS like this.

Sony XBR-65X930E (w/luminoodle)/Sony UBP-X800M2/Apple TV 4K/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X
Denon AVR-X6200W(Surround/Height)/Emotiva XPA-3(L/C/R)/AC Infinity Aircom T8 x2
DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/Panamax M4300-PM(Main) & MD2(Subs)/Logitech Harmony Elite
post #3496 of 3501 Old 12-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Grabbed one of these on Cyber Monday from Beast Buy hella cheap because my X800 appeared to have croaked over the weekend. Dangit.

Massive step down in build quality, not that being built like a tank did the X800 any good re: not freezing up. What the heck is that wall wart power supply? Luckily I had room on the wall wart extension cord for it because it wouldn't have fit on the surge strip.

Biggest issues I've noticed in a couple hours of use:
  • Lipsync is a mess. Watching YouTube app I found bad A/V sync issues unless I turned lipsync off on my X4400 AVR. However, when I started playing discs, I had to turn it back on. What's the deal?
  • Why the actual [heck] do we need to manually turn Dolby Vision on/off? Apple TV 4K and XBOX can switch flavors on the fly, but Sony can't read the disc and switch over without perma-DV applied on everything? Leading to....
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
It affects regular BDs and I think it actually looks pretty great
You may like it, but it's not accurate at all. After experimenting with playing Valerian w/o turning DV on (didn't know it was DV) and Skyscraper with it on, I popped in a normal BD (This Is The End) which I'd watched over the weekend with my XBOX (because X800 died) and the colors were drab and it had a low-contrast flatness to the image. Turn off the DV output and colors became richer with more depth.

I don't get why any device or program would want to cram down HDR output for EVERYTHNG. It's the visual equivalent of turning the bass and treble knobs up and engaging the Loudness button because "more = better." XBOX's Netflix app converts everything to HDR10/DV and SDR content suffers. Why can't makers just have Match Content options like ATV4K does? I run it at 4K60 SDR all the time (since 97% of what we watch is still SDR) and when some HDR content happens, it shifts gears.

I probably have fewer than 10 DV discs - most of my 4K stuff is digital - so leaving DV off on the X700 will be my default, but it's dumb that I need to think of it or try to remember to switch it in the first place stinks.

PimpVision® Quantum: Vizio PQ65-F1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Def Tech ProCinema 600 + ProCenter 1000 + Monoprice Caliber #4104 (Atmos) + Monolith 10" THX Select (5.2.4) | Nvidia SHIELD (2015) | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X700 | XBOX Project Scorpio | Xbox 360 | PS4 Pro | PS3 | Toshiba HD-A30 | Harmony 650 | Monoprice 8-Port gigabit switch
My DVD Profiler List | DirkFlix: My Movie Viewing Diary and Reviews
post #3497 of 3501 Old 12-03-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
Grabbed one of these on Cyber Monday from Beast Buy hella cheap because my X800 appeared to have croaked over the weekend. Dangit.

Massive step down in build quality, not that being built like a tank did the X800 any good re: not freezing up. What the heck is that wall wart power supply? Luckily I had room on the wall wart extension cord for it because it wouldn't have fit on the surge strip.

Biggest issues I've noticed in a couple hours of use:
  • Lipsync is a mess. Watching YouTube app I found bad A/V sync issues unless I turned lipsync off on my X4400 AVR. However, when I started playing discs, I had to turn it back on. What's the deal?
  • Why the actual [heck] do we need to manually turn Dolby Vision on/off? Apple TV 4K and XBOX can switch flavors on the fly, but Sony can't read the disc and switch over without perma-DV applied on everything? Leading to....
You may like it, but it's not accurate at all. After experimenting with playing Valerian w/o turning DV on (didn't know it was DV) and Skyscraper with it on, I popped in a normal BD (This Is The End) which I'd watched over the weekend with my XBOX (because X800 died) and the colors were drab and it had a low-contrast flatness to the image. Turn off the DV output and colors became richer with more depth.

I don't get why any device or program would want to cram down HDR output for EVERYTHNG. It's the visual equivalent of turning the bass and treble knobs up and engaging the Loudness button because "more = better." XBOX's Netflix app converts everything to HDR10/DV and SDR content suffers. Why can't makers just have Match Content options like ATV4K does? I run it at 4K60 SDR all the time (since 97% of what we watch is still SDR) and when some HDR content happens, it shifts gears.

I probably have fewer than 10 DV discs - most of my 4K stuff is digital - so leaving DV off on the X700 will be my default, but it's dumb that I need to think of it or try to remember to switch it in the first place stinks.
Yes it stinks but its been a well known shortcoming that you could have easily known about with a little research. No offence.
post #3498 of 3501 Old 12-03-2019, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Yes it stinks but its been a well known shortcoming that you could have easily known about with a little research. No offence.
The Wirecutter review mentioned it, but posited that it could be updated via firmware. Obviously that didn't happen. Oh well.

Was the flaky lipsyncing issue also well-known?

PimpVision® Quantum: Vizio PQ65-F1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Def Tech ProCinema 600 + ProCenter 1000 + Monoprice Caliber #4104 (Atmos) + Monolith 10" THX Select (5.2.4) | Nvidia SHIELD (2015) | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X700 | XBOX Project Scorpio | Xbox 360 | PS4 Pro | PS3 | Toshiba HD-A30 | Harmony 650 | Monoprice 8-Port gigabit switch
My DVD Profiler List | DirkFlix: My Movie Viewing Diary and Reviews
post #3499 of 3501 Old 12-03-2019, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
The Wirecutter review mentioned it, but posited that it could be updated via firmware. Obviously that didn't happen. Oh well.

Was the flaky lipsyncing issue also well-known?
I haven't had audio sync issues.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #3500 of 3501 Old 12-04-2019, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked: 1973
Quote:
Not my experience at all. Of course it's not accurate, but everything popped a lot more in DV mode to me, while still retaining a natural look to it.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #3501 of 3501 Old 12-05-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 963
My X700 has been solid lately. Seems when it was flakey before my AVR was the problem and that's solved.

Just watched Cars 3 and wow, I know I need to collect all the Pixar UHD discs now. Definitely a case of never been better.

-Brian
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bluray , hdmi , soundbar