OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2302Likes

post #4021 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
@extremist59 , it is known that some of the UHD Blus will have a clear, nearly-invisible "residue" from the pressing process that may need to be wiped from the disk. I'm approaching 400 UHD Blus, and I've found that I needed to do this for only a handful of them (YMMV, of course).
I'll certainly give that a try if I run into another one.
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonepalmer View Post
I've just set up my new X700 with a new Epson 9400 projector
I notice when playing Blu Rays with 1.85 aspect ratio the projector outputs 16:9.
I don't know if it's the Sony or the PJ and I can't see any settings on either to fix it.
Any advice appreciated
I think I’ve figured it out...picked the wrong blu ray to test ..Avatar says 1.85 on case but I read elsewhere it was modified to 1.78 on the blu ray. Tried again with Saving a Private Ryan and it is correct.
galonzo likes this.
post #4023 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremist59 View Post
Yes, took it out, looked at it (pristine) did NOT touch or wipe it, put it back in, stopped at exactly the same spot.

Already sent back and got refund.

Will wait a few weeks and order 2001 again. Probably pass on getting Fifth Element again ...
I hate to say it but you might have gotten them to work if you wiped them. I cannot remember what disc but i had one that like yours looked clean but i wiped it and then it worked.
galonzo likes this.

TV - Sony XBR-75Z9F | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears | 2nd TV - Sony 65XBR-930e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4024 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So I just bought this player and I'm having an issue I had on my last Sony HD/1080p player...........but worse.

During a movie it's fine, but like when I'm on the Home menu or Settings, it will sometimes flicker in and out and eventually on the screen it says "No signal detected". Sometimes if I rotate TV a bit it fixes it, but NOT usually.

But if I connect it to my TV directly instead of my Pioneer receiver, it's fine. But then I don't get the sound benefits my receiver offers. My Comcast cable box though is connected to receiver and it's fine (as is my Sony TV), and even when I connect this player to another HDMI port on my receiver, the same thing happens.

Anyone else have this issue? If so, how did you fix it? Please help!

Thanks!!!
post #4025 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStar2005 View Post
So I just bought this player and I'm having an issue I had on my last Sony HD/1080p player...........but worse.

During a movie it's fine, but like when I'm on the Home menu or Settings, it will sometimes flicker in and out and eventually on the screen it says "No signal detected". Sometimes if I rotate TV a bit it fixes it, but NOT usually.

But if I connect it to my TV directly instead of my Pioneer receiver, it's fine. But then I don't get the sound benefits my receiver offers. My Comcast cable box though is connected to receiver and it's fine (as is my Sony TV), and even when I connect this player to another HDMI port on my receiver, the same thing happens.

Thanks!!!
Sounds like a cable issue since it has followed two different units. Try a new Monoprice Certified Premium cable from Amazon.
Jim Kiler, mjwagner and galonzo like this.
post #4026 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
Sounds like a cable issue since it has followed two different units. Try a new Monoprice Certified Premium cable from Amazon.

Well here's the thing..............when I connect this Sony 4K player to the TV directly using that same HDMI cable (which wasn't the one I used with my last Sony player which was 1080p), there are NO signal loss issues at all.

So do Sony players have issues with non-Sony receivers? My last one was a Denon, and this one is a Pioneer one.

What do you guys think??! I've tried everything and nothing works. It seems to be fine when I'm playing a disc, but yeah when on the Home screen or in the Settings menu, it loses the signal. So f'ing weird!!

Thanks!
post #4027 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Well here's the thing..............when I connect this Sony 4K player to the TV directly using that same HDMI cable (which wasn't the one I used with my last Sony player which was 1080p), there are NO signal loss issues at all.

So do Sony players have issues with non-Sony receivers? My last one was a Denon, and this one is a Pioneer one.

What do you guys think??! I've tried everything and nothing works. It seems to be fine when I'm playing a disc, but yeah when on the Home screen or in the Settings menu, it loses the signal. So f'ing weird!!

Thanks!
My 700 is connected to my Denon X2600, and then my Denon to my LG C9 and I have never had any type of connection issue.
galonzo likes this.
post #4028 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Thanks!
When you have the receiver in the chain, there are two HDMI cables in the mix, so if either is problematic, it'll cause issues. The menus on the X700 are 60 fps, so when you stop playing the movie (which is 24fps) and go back to the menus, it tries to go back to 60 and that's a big bandwidth change. The fact it works ok going straight to the tv indicates it isn't the X700 that's the problem.
Try forcing the output of the X700 to 1080p as a test, that'll reduce the bandwidth used and may allow the menus to work. If it does, it really points to a cable issue.

Sony XBR-65A9F, Sony UBP-X700, Denon AVR-890 (cooled by AC Infinity AIRCOM T10), Apple TV 4K, HDFury Vertex, B&W 600 series & LM1s in 7.1 config, Harmony Elite, Hubitat Home Automation, Philips Hue lights

Last edited by avsngaiouser; 06-23-2020 at 04:30 PM.
post #4029 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
My 700 is connected to my Denon X2600, and then my Denon to my LG C9 and I have never had any type of connection issue.

Well you're a lucky guy then D! lol
D Bone likes this.
post #4030 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked: 1199
Quote:

Thanks!!!
I use my x-700 in my HT. It is connected to my Denon x6400h AVR and then from my Denon AVR to my Optoma UHZ65 4k HDR laser projector. I’ve never had any issues. That said, on the x-700 you can send the video directly to your tv via HDMI 1 out and the audio only to your AVR using HDMI 2 out. Make sure to make the appropriate settings changes on your x-700.

Mark
post #4031 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsngaiouser View Post
When you have the receiver in the chain, there are two HDMI cables in the mix, so if either is problematic, it'll cause issues. The menus on the X700 are 60 fps, so when you stop playing the movie (which is 24fps) and go back to the menus, it tries to go back to 60 and that's a big bandwidth change. The fact it works ok going straight to the tv indicates it isn't the X700 that's the problem.
Try forcing the output of the X700 to 1080p as a test, that'll reduce the bandwidth used and may allow the menus to work. If it does, it really points to a cable issue.

Tried it but didn't work. Thanks though!
post #4032 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I use my x-700 in my HT. It is connected to my Denon x6400h AVR and then from my Denon AVR to my Optoma UHZ65 4k HDR laser projector. I’ve never had any issues. That said, on the x-700 you can send the video directly to your tv via HDMI 1 out and the audio only to your AVR using HDMI 2 out. Make sure to make the appropriate settings changes on your x-700.

Hi MJ,

That is actually a great idea! Then all bases are covered and I don't have to sacrifice anything in the process.

I just went ahead and ordered another HDMI cable to use for the audio out (HDMI 2) to my AVR. It will arrive on Thursday (or sooner?). I will make the changes ahead of time too, and follow-up with you on here.

Thanks so much!!
mjwagner likes this.
post #4033 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So
post #4034 of 4095 Old 06-23-2020, 11:42 PM

So after a little testing I’ve concluded DV must be turned off for regular Blu rays. I’m attaching some screen shots of Winnie the Pooh on Disney Plus, in the x700 with DV on, and on the x700 with DV off. You can see it looks pretty messed up with DV on. I assumed for all UHD discs to turn DV on since the apps like Netflix and Disney plus just use DV for everything but then I’ve heard other people say to see the movie accurately you should only turn on DV if the movie is in DV. So for now I am only switching on DV for the DV discs that I have and leaving in HDR for movies in HDR10. What do you guys think? Should I just leave DV on for all UHD discs or switch on demand for the few DV titles? Seems to work fine on Netflix and Disney Plus and they don’t even give us an option there. I’d hope for a firmware update on an auto switching feature but that is probably a pipe dream on a 2 year old player.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F58E5297-724A-4B06-9BAA-E56780E0925C_1592980822006.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	2747914   Click image for larger version

Name:	B67EAC1C-E66B-4CD3-AB4D-036BA9C0F9CD_1592980837411.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2747916   Click image for larger version

Name:	29DB304E-57E8-490E-871D-D2C31B4E56F0_1592980854487.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2747918  
RockStar2005 likes this.
post #4035 of 4095 Old 06-24-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezjp View Post
So after a little testing I’ve concluded DV must be turned off for regular Blu rays. I’m attaching some screen shots of Winnie the Pooh on Disney Plus, in the x700 with DV on, and on the x700 with DV off. You can see it looks pretty messed up with DV on. I assumed for all UHD discs to turn DV on since the apps like Netflix and Disney plus just use DV for everything but then I’ve heard other people say to see the movie accurately you should only turn on DV if the movie is in DV. So for now I am only switching on DV for the DV discs that I have and leaving in HDR for movies in HDR10. What do you guys think? Should I just leave DV on for all UHD discs or switch on demand for the few DV titles? Seems to work fine on Netflix and Disney Plus and they don’t even give us an option there. I’d hope for a firmware update on an auto switching feature but that is probably a pipe dream on a 2 year old player.

Hi ibanezip,

This is a very interesting post! I was wondering the same thing recently as I'd JUST bought the X700, and have a Sony 55" 900F TV with the DV update included, as well as some 4K DV discs I'd just bought too.

So the first & third pics are with DV off, and second one is DV on while watching that non-DV disc movie? Yeah, I notice the color seems off on the second one, and the biggest "red flag" is how the tree looks very oddly out of focus as well!

This actually makes sense. Though initially I was gonna leave it on 24-7, after reviewing the X700's manual, I noticed that it mentions that when enabling DV in the Settings, it disables a couple different color settings that sound pretty important (esp "Deep Color"). See attached screenshot of the manual excerpt.

So after reading all that, I'd already decided it was best to turn DV off for non-DV discs or content. And your findings further show this is truly the best course of action to take.

Thanks so much for sharing this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 06-24-20 at 01.01 PM.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	606.0 KB
ID:	2748128  

Last edited by RockStar2005; 06-24-2020 at 11:23 AM.
post #4036 of 4095 Old 06-24-2020, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Hi MJ,

That is actually a great idea! Then all bases are covered and I don't have to sacrifice anything in the process.

I just went ahead and ordered another HDMI cable to use for the audio out (HDMI 2) to my AVR. It will arrive on Thursday (or sooner?). I will make the changes ahead of time too, and follow-up with you on here.

Thanks so much!!
That's what I do too - works well (Also have an HDFury Vertex in the middle so that I can have both my x700 and my ATV 4k send 4k video to the tv and send audio to my 11yr old 7.1 receiver)
RockStar2005 likes this.

Sony XBR-65A9F, Sony UBP-X700, Denon AVR-890 (cooled by AC Infinity AIRCOM T10), Apple TV 4K, HDFury Vertex, B&W 600 series & LM1s in 7.1 config, Harmony Elite, Hubitat Home Automation, Philips Hue lights
post #4037 of 4095 Old 06-25-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
So after a little testing I’️ve concluded DV must be turned off for regular Blu rays. I’️m attaching some screen shots of Winnie the Pooh on Disney Plus, in the x700 with DV on, and on the x700 with DV off. You can see it looks pretty messed up with DV on. I assumed for all UHD discs to turn DV on since the apps like Netflix and Disney plus just use DV for everything but then I’️ve heard other people say to see the movie accurately you should only turn on DV if the movie is in DV. So for now I am only switching on DV for the DV discs that I have and leaving in HDR for movies in HDR10. What do you guys think? Should I just leave DV on for all UHD discs or switch on demand for the few DV titles? Seems to work fine on Netflix and Disney Plus and they don’️t even give us an option there. I’️d hope for a firmware update on an auto switching feature but that is probably a pipe dream on a 2 year old player.

Hi ibanezip,

This is a very interesting post! I was wondering the same thing recently as I'd JUST bought the X700, and have a Sony 55" 900F TV with the DV update included, as well as some 4K DV discs I'd just bought too.

So the first & third pics are with DV off, and second one is DV on while watching that non-DV disc movie? Yeah, I notice the color seems off on the second one, and the biggest "red flag" is how the tree looks very oddly out of focus as well!

This actually makes sense. Though initially I was gonna leave it on 24-7, after reviewing the X700's manual, I noticed that it mentions that when enabling DV in the Settings, it disables a couple different color settings that sound pretty important (esp "Deep Color"). See attached screenshot of the manual excerpt.

So after reading all that, I'd already decided it was best to turn DV off for non-DV discs or content. And your findings further show this is truly the best course of action to take.

Thanks so much for sharing this!
No prob! So the first pic is Disney + in SDR with DV off. 2nd is standard Blu Ray with DV on, 3rd one is standard Blu Ray with DV off. So yes what you said is correct! I actually just upgraded to the x800m2 today and returned the x700. I like the more sturdy size and build quality on the m2 and when you hit display it not only shows what the disc is outputting, but what is getting sent out of the HDMI port as well. Also display color output as well. When DV is switched on you can quickly find out if a UHD disc is DV or not by whether it says Dolby vision on top or just HDR. DV discs will say DV Ion top and bottom. Also, I confirmed this with Sony support today, but if you feel like you’re missing something with Bravia mode on the 800 and 1100 just set the x700 to DV off, 4K scaling to auto 1, and in the video options side menu that only opens when playing a disc, hit direct. Auto should be fine if you’re hooked up to a Sony TV but do direct if you are using a non Sony display.
Jim Kiler likes this.
post #4038 of 4095 Old 06-25-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
No prob! So the first pic is Disney + in SDR with DV off. 2nd is standard Blu Ray with DV on, 3rd one is standard Blu Ray with DV off. So yes what you said is correct! I actually just upgraded to the x800m2 today and returned the x700. I like the more sturdy size and build quality on the m2 and when you hit display it not only shows what the disc is outputting, but what is getting sent out of the HDMI port as well. Also display color output as well. When DV is switched on you can quickly find out if a UHD disc is DV or not by whether it says Dolby vision on top or just HDR. DV discs will say DV Ion top and bottom. Also, I confirmed this with Sony support today, but if you feel like you’re missing something with Bravia mode on the 800 and 1100 just set the x700 to DV off, 4K scaling to auto 1, and in the video options side menu that only opens when playing a disc, hit direct. Auto should be fine if you’re hooked up to a Sony TV but do direct if you are using a non Sony display.

Yeah.........regardless of the content being streaming or 4K disc, DV off is CLEARLY the better option!

That's cool! I was looking at that too but decided the X700 was sufficient. I'd prefer Auto DV, but I don't mind going into Settings to switch it on or off when needed.

Yeah I've noticed that when the content is DV it will say DV on my TV, from streaming via TV anyway. I don't stream through player anymore since I find it easier to do it through TV (and TV does it Auto, so lol). But for discs it's not an issue either.

I have the 55" 900F Sony 4K TV. Not sure if that would apply to mine?

Thanks!!
post #4039 of 4095 Old 06-25-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post

Hey MJ,

Just wanted to let you know your advice worked! Connected the new HDMI cable that came in earlier from the X700's HDMI 2 (Audio Only) port to my Denon AVR's BD/DVD port (as well HDMI 1's cable from the X700 to my TV), and everything worked perfectly!! No more flickering in the menu or loss of signal.............nothing.

I initially thought I had to change the Audio Out setting on the X700 from Auto to HDMI 2, but when I actually fired up a disc, I noticed every time a new scene or track would start, there was a noticeable 5-7 second delay before the sound would come on. So I thought maybe putting it back to Auto would fix it, and luckily it did. Now the sound comes on instantly with zero delay.

Thanks so much again for your help!!! It completely resolved my issue!
mjwagner likes this.
post #4040 of 4095 Old 06-28-2020, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Will this players remote signal pass through glass doors?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
post #4041 of 4095 Old 06-28-2020, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post
Will this players remote signal pass through glass doors?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Yes works with my cabinet.
galonzo and JMak00 like this.
post #4042 of 4095 Old 06-30-2020, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
guys so i just got the lg c9 and i have this bluray player but every time i load saving private ryan on a UHD 4k disk in this bluray player i just get a black picture. Also it glitches every time i try and view netlfix and youtube because it loads dolby vision on those apps as well and not sure why. I have tried everything myself and even went and bought high quality hdmi cables that cost me allot. Im fair fed up with it and was wondering if anyone has the pre dolby vision firmware for this bluray player as i cant find it anywhere on the net at all. I can watch all my other blurays and UHD discs without issues its only the dolby vision ones so i have given up watch dobly vision content at all on this player. Is there a solution? Or should i just sell the bloody thing all together and get something different?
post #4043 of 4095 Old 06-30-2020, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 2
These 'old' BR players are facing expired licenses and not to mention streaming is now the dominant format for 4k/hdr viewing.

New: TCL R625 (55")/Sony UBP-X700/Vizio SB3651-E6
Old: Sony XBR65X900E/Sony UBP-X800
post #4044 of 4095 Old 06-30-2020, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon I View Post
guys so i just got the lg c9 and i have this bluray player but every time i load saving private ryan on a UHD 4k disk in this bluray player i just get a black picture. Also it glitches every time i try and view netlfix and youtube because it loads dolby vision on those apps as well and not sure why. I have tried everything myself and even went and bought high quality hdmi cables that cost me allot. Im fair fed up with it and was wondering if anyone has the pre dolby vision firmware for this bluray player as i cant find it anywhere on the net at all. I can watch all my other blurays and UHD discs without issues its only the dolby vision ones so i have given up watch dobly vision content at all on this player. Is there a solution? Or should i just sell the bloody thing all together and get something different?

You need to turn off DV in the X700 settings menu.

Cost of a cable doesn't indicate it's ability to pass 4K HDR signals. Also there may be other devices, such as a receiver, that's causing the problem.
galonzo likes this.
post #4045 of 4095 Old 06-30-2020, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Okay, I'm about done with Netflix on this player. I will get into netflix and within moments of scrolling through the menu or trying to search the display just goes dark and wash, rinse, and repeat for up to 5 minutes. This behavior does not occur while using Vudu or Prime, just Netflix.

The Netflix also does not do this when playing from the TV's onboard app.

This is incredibly frustrating. Any others experiencing this? It doesn't resolve when I power cycle the player and the app appears to be up to date.
post #4046 of 4095 Old 07-01-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
You need to turn off DV in the X700 settings menu.

Cost of a cable doesn't indicate it's ability to pass 4K HDR signals. Also there may be other devices, such as a receiver, that's causing the problem.
yeah have done that same thing im getting as old mate just said even with DV turned off in the settings. Netflix just keeps glitching all the time so i just watch netflix through the c9 itself now.

Does anyone have the previous firmware release before DV was introduced? I dont want to use DV on this player anymore. I just want it back to the way it was before the last firmware update. Is this possible?
post #4047 of 4095 Old 07-01-2020, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Okay, I'm about done with Netflix on this player. I will get into netflix and within moments of scrolling through the menu or trying to search the display just goes dark and wash, rinse, and repeat for up to 5 minutes. This behavior does not occur while using Vudu or Prime, just Netflix.

This is incredibly frustrating. Any others experiencing this? It doesn't resolve when I power cycle the player and the app appears to be up to date.
Blu Ray players are made specifically for playing discs, whether they be CDs, DVDs or Blu Ray. The streaming apps are, basically, just added as a sales gimmick to get you to buy them. Doesn't matter to the manufacturer how well they work. Get yourself a REAL streaming device. I recommend Roku, or, if you can afford it, Nvidia Shield. You'll be a lot happier with the results and it will increase the life of your player.
mjwagner and galonzo like this.
post #4048 of 4095 Old 07-01-2020, 05:52 AM

i already have a shield and im actually contemplating getting the new 2019 pro version because i use mine all the time
post #4049 of 4095 Old 07-01-2020, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve0819 View Post
Blu Ray players are made specifically for playing discs, whether they be CDs, DVDs or Blu Ray. The streaming apps are, basically, just added as a sales gimmick to get you to buy them. Doesn't matter to the manufacturer how well they work. Get yourself a REAL streaming device. I recommend Roku, or, if you can afford it, Nvidia Shield. You'll be a lot happier with the results and it will increase the life of your player.

I disagree. The streaming capabilities of the X700 are very good and it can play streaming 24hz content at HDR 12bit 4:4:4 2160P, which many other streaming devices can't do. I have no problems playing Netflix on my X700. There is no inherent reason why a BD player can't be a good streaming device, if it has the desired apps.
alexbarbel likes this.
post #4050 of 4095 Old 07-01-2020, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That sounds like a configuration issue. My Netflix via the X700 is solid and glitch free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bluray , hdmi , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page