OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1962Likes

post #1411 of 3469 Old 07-15-2018, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Anyone know what's up with HDR on the X700's version of YouTube? I went through the HDR Channel after reading someone saying the X700 does YouTube HDR, but when playing back videos...well...the entire YouTube experience seems messed up. For one, selecting only 4k 60p HDR videos, only a handful even showed as 4k, the majority showed only HD. For the 4k ones, only a very small percentage showed 4K HDR, and of those, none of them would activate HDR, even with DV enabled, on the X700. Manually setting my Sony TV to HDR10 and/or BT2020 did not manage to fix things either.

On a UHD playback note, I got my first full on unrecoverable disc freeze up on the third disc through the machine. Turning the X700 off and back on cleared the problem. Brand new clean UHD disc.

Paul
between Youtube on my Sony 930e and this player some vidoes that are 4K do not show as 4K on the x700, for example this one,

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 3469 Old 07-15-2018, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior123 View Post
I have a question about the 4k upscale feature.

There's an option for Auto1, Auto2, and off. I have it set to Auto2 and it sends a 4k signal to my Vizio M65-d0.

I have a Sony soundbar (HT-CT790) which has a similar feature for the upscale feature. Should I leave this set to off or to Auto2 if I want to use the upscale feature?

I would think leaving both set to Auto2 would work, but if I do is there to much processing happening between the UHD player and TV?
I've also been told that for upscaling, auto1 setting means the TV does it, and auto2 means the player does. Can anyone confirm this, along with the other upscale settings for the sony soundbar? Thanks!
post #1413 of 3469 Old 07-15-2018, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Anyone know what's up with HDR on the X700's version of YouTube? I went through the HDR Channel after reading someone saying the X700 does YouTube HDR, but when playing back videos...well...the entire YouTube experience seems messed up. For one, selecting only 4k 60p HDR videos, only a handful even showed as 4k, the majority showed only HD. For the 4k ones, only a very small percentage showed 4K HDR, and of those, none of them would activate HDR, even with DV enabled, on the X700. Manually setting my Sony TV to HDR10 and/or BT2020 did not manage to fix things either.

On a UHD playback note, I got my first full on unrecoverable disc freeze up on the third disc through the machine. Turning the X700 off and back on cleared the problem. Brand new clean UHD disc.

Paul
I was having problems with HDR videos as well. I found that if I skip forward to the next video then skipped back to the original video, it would then show in HDR and seemed to stay that way until I exited YouTube and came back again. I would then have to do it all over again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 3469 Old 07-16-2018, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am trying to play 4k movies via MVK files and when the movie starts the audio is very choppy. If I download the same movie in 720p or 1080p there is no issues. Is there a setting I need to put to make the audio sync correctly and not studder? HDR and 5.1 all works fine via the MVK file. *happens with MP4 also*
post #1415 of 3469 Old 07-16-2018, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumate View Post
I am trying to play 4k movies via MVK files and when the movie starts the audio is very choppy. If I download the same movie in 720p or 1080p there is no issues. Is there a setting I need to put to make the audio sync correctly and not studder? HDR and 5.1 all works fine via the MVK file. *happens with MP4 also*
What is the codec of that choppy audio?
post #1416 of 3469 Old 07-16-2018, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone got one of these running on a non UHD TV and noticed any PQ improvements?

I was thinking about getting one mainly for Atmos but was hoping that I might see a PQ improvement if I played the 4K disc on my Panasonic ST60 plasma over the BR copy.

Thanks,
Klattsy.

Sony BDP-S5500/Panasonic P60ST30A/Pioneer VSX-932/Dali Blue F-C-S/REL 201e/Polk Audio ceiling/RasPi 3/DLink DNS-327L
post #1417 of 3469 Old 07-17-2018, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Klatt View Post
Has anyone got one of these running on a non UHD TV and noticed any PQ improvements?

I was thinking about getting one mainly for Atmos but was hoping that I might see a PQ improvement if I played the 4K disc on my Panasonic ST60 plasma over the BR copy.

Thanks,
Klattsy.
I am running with a Panasonic VT30, your x700 will run much like mine does. It will play the UHD disc at 1080p, send the Atmos sound intact to your receiver. There is a runtime control to allow you to simulate HDR with your ST60. The control has five settings that go from no simulation to full simulation. I run mine on setting 2 or 3. Higher than that and the normal content is too dark, even in my light controlled room. At the time I bought the x700, I wanted it for the Atmos and I anticipate having a new TV that will do HDR by the end of the year.

If I were in the market now, I would be following the pending introduction of the new high end Panasonic players. One of those might satisfy me longer.
Mark Klatt likes this.
post #1418 of 3469 Old 07-17-2018, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
a little confused by some of the audio settings on my new x700
will this player only output Atmos/DTS:X tracks through hdmi1 ? or will it send over hdmi2 to a soundbar that supports Atmos and/or DTS:X ?
post #1419 of 3469 Old 07-17-2018, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
When I disable HDR and then play a UHD disc, the colors become too high contrast and rendered incorrectly. I cycled through various color output options but they all had the same issue. Anyone know if theres a way to (correctly) output UHD blu-ray discs in SDR from this device?

Also, I don't have this problem with the Xbox One, where I can disable HDR and the discs are output in SDR without any problems.

LG B7A
Pioneer VSX-832
Sony UBP-X700
Apple TV 4K
Xbox One S
post #1420 of 3469 Old 07-17-2018, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post
I am running with a Panasonic VT30, your x700 will run much like mine does. It will play the UHD disc at 1080p, send the Atmos sound intact to your receiver. There is a runtime control to allow you to simulate HDR with your ST60. The control has five settings that go from no simulation to full simulation. I run mine on setting 2 or 3. Higher than that and the normal content is too dark, even in my light controlled room. At the time I bought the x700, I wanted it for the Atmos and I anticipate having a new TV that will do HDR by the end of the year.

If I were in the market now, I would be following the pending introduction of the new high end Panasonic players. One of those might satisfy me longer.
Hey LeRoyK. Thanks for the reply.

Is there a picture improvement over the BR using the simulation? My room is pretty light.

I wont have a 4K TV for a few years. The Panasonic's are starting at over twice the price ($600+) once they land here.
post #1421 of 3469 Old 07-17-2018, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Klatt View Post
Hey LeRoyK. Thanks for the reply.

Is there a picture improvement over the BR using the simulation? My room is pretty light.

I wont have a 4K TV for a few years. The Panasonic's are starting at over twice the price ($600+) once they land here.
I don't have a side by side setup to compare the pictures of UHD and HD versions of the same movie. I can say however that the player does produce a very good picture with both HD and UHD disks. One thing I do like about the x700 and the VT30 is the use of 36bit 4:4:4 output when the VT30 has Wide color palette enabled. The wide color palette is transmitted for the network apps and all of the blu-ray disks. I am not sure about DVD playback.
Mark Klatt likes this.
post #1422 of 3469 Old 07-18-2018, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Problem

Ok just purchased a 700 as I would like Dolby Vision, I have an LG E7.

I figured out my denon will not pass dolby vision so I went the ole two cable route, While I dont mind toggling dolby, the problem Im having is once I toggle it on for a movie, after I stop the movie I cannot see the home screen of the player, NOTHING!!

So it is impossible to go back and toggle it off, If I press netflix of course it comes on but nothing on the remote will show me the players home screen, what am I doing wrong, because I'm ready to take it back.

I did try reading but I don't see anyone having this issue!

HDMI 1 to input on TV only way to get Dolby Vision
HDMI 2 to Denon 710, No DV support

Grateful for any assistance
post #1423 of 3469 Old 07-18-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BubbaHyde View Post

I figured out my denon will not pass dolby vision so I went the ole two cable route, While I dont mind toggling dolby, the problem Im having is once I toggle it on for a movie, after I stop the movie I cannot see the home screen of the player, NOTHING!!

So it is impossible to go back and toggle it off, If I press netflix of course it comes on but nothing on the remote will show me the players home screen, what am I doing wrong, because I'm ready to take it back.

Just an update if I switch the HDMI cable to another input on the TV, Bingo Sony Home screen is there, Its almost like somehow I stuck the LG input into thinking it should see a DV signal and its not
post #1424 of 3469 Old 07-18-2018, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have a 2016 LG LED TV, and just added the x700 player to my setup. Both TV's have a similar way to resolve this:

- make sure HDMI deep color is enabled on the TV's hdmi input where you connected the x700 to
- use 18gps (certified premium) HDMI cable from x700 --> TV

I have a 2014 Panasonic soundbar that obviously doesn't support DV or HDR10. So my x700 hdmi1 --> HDMI port on my 55UHD8500, deep color enabled on that hdmi port via the setup menu on the TV
x700 HDMI2 --> my soundbar (or your Denon 710)

you have audio go to soundbar/receiver, on the x700 go into the player's setup, go to system settings, and there is an option for HDMI audio, choose HDMI2
you have audio go through TV speakers instead choose HDMI1
post #1425 of 3469 Old 07-18-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
I have a 2016 LG LED TV, and just added the x700 player to my setup. Both TV's have a similar way to resolve this:

- make sure HDMI deep color is enabled on the TV's hdmi input where you connected the x700 to
- use 18gps (certified premium) HDMI cable from x700 --> TV

I have a 2014 Panasonic soundbar that obviously doesn't support DV or HDR10. So my x700 hdmi1 --> HDMI port on my 55UHD8500, deep color enabled on that hdmi port via the setup menu on the TV
x700 HDMI2 --> my soundbar (or your Denon 710)

you have audio go to soundbar/receiver, on the x700 go into the player's setup, go to system settings, and there is an option for HDMI audio, choose HDMI2
you have audio go through TV speakers instead choose HDMI1
Yes Thank You audio is functioning correctly.

However when I start a movie the LGTV ask to restart for deep color mode,(Enabled on sony to auto, have also tried off), The movie plays fine but when I stop the movie the main Sony 700 Home screen will not display, I have to go into the LGTV settings and disable HDMI deep color in order to see the menu again, This is very weird.

Thank You
post #1426 of 3469 Old 07-18-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Yes Thank You audio is functioning correctly.

However when I start a movie the LGTV ask to restart for deep color mode,(Enabled on sony to auto, have also tried off), The movie plays fine but when I stop the movie the main Sony 700 Home screen will not display, I have to go into the LGTV settings and disable HDMI deep color in order to see the menu again, This is very weird.

Thank You

I had the same problem with the LG UBK90 player and solved it with a higher quality cable.
post #1427 of 3469 Old 07-18-2018, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The deep color setting is what is causing the issue. Happened with a UBP-x1000 at work. The menu would never show, but playback would start when a disc was inserted.

PSN - Escobar
Yamaha RX-A870 Fronts: Bowers and Wilkins 704 S2 Rosenut Center: Martin Logan Motion 8i Rears: Martin Logan Motion 4 Front Heights: Martin Logan Motion 2 Subwoofers: 2 x Definitive Technology Supercube 2000
Sony 55" A8F, Panasonic UB820
post #1428 of 3469 Old 07-18-2018, 03:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8329
Quote:

Are you using HDMI "Premium Certified" cables? If not, that would be the place to start. This type of problem is common when using older cables with a new UHD player. I've written this up in my Blog post here:

HDMI "Premium Certified" Cables

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #1429 of 3469 Old 07-18-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwong View Post
I had the same problem with the LG UBK90 player and solved it with a higher quality cable.
Well I thought about that and tried 3 different HQ cables, it did not help.....I returned the sony and got the LG 90 hoping for better results..

Damn Oppo for discontinuing
post #1430 of 3469 Old 07-18-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Well I thought about that and tried 3 different HQ cables, it did not help.....I returned the sony and got the LG 90 hoping for better results..

Damn Oppo for discontinuing

Thanks Bob, Yes I am as I said Tried 3 Different Ones, to no avail with the sony.

Just Hooked up the New LG 90 and there is no issue, DV works no problems and when I stop the disc the menu's are visible, too bad as I really wanted the sony, but this will do until I can afford a higher end unit
post #1431 of 3469 Old 07-18-2018, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumate View Post
doesnt the x700 only support 100 m LAN ie 10-12 mb/s via LAN

and only has USB2 ,which also has low bit rate

most 4k movies etc (full remux or complete /iso format would always have issues with lagging playback due to limitations of those 2 inputs
post #1432 of 3469 Old 07-19-2018, 04:48 AM

Well, I returned the Sony 700 and Got the LG UBK90, and I am having no issues with this player.

I am using the same cables, same LG E7, and it's doing what it's supposed to do. When I stop a disc the menu screen comes back.

I have no idea why the sony was doing that to me, but I was not going to go thru three menus every time I started and stopped a disc just for the Sony to fix itself. Now I don't mind the Toggling DV issue but I'm not going to go thru turning the TV on and off every time I play a new disc.

I will check back here to see if anyone else is having the same issue, maybe the sony just doesn't wanna play nice with the LG E7, as I am seeing smattered posts about people having issues with the LG and Sony OLEDs

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it
post #1433 of 3469 Old 07-19-2018, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mr B,

please provide which HDMI cables you tried. I agree with others that it's your cable causing your issues

Like I said, I have HDMI deep color enabled on both the HDMI port on my 2016 LG 55UH8500 TV, as well as on the player. I have Dolby Vision enabled in the video settings
I have no issues going back and forth between a UHD disc playing a DV track, back to the main menu, and back to the movie. I did this when I played Fate of the Furious, so I could tweak some video settings

I'm using monoprice's certified premium HDMI cable, 6ft long. Used the same cable for my Samsung K8500 UHD player that I had, before replacing it with the x700 player
william06 likes this.
post #1434 of 3469 Old 07-19-2018, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I noticed that some UHDs that I have, like Jurassic Park, do not have Dolby Vision, however, I can change the output on the x700 to Dolby Vision and it will play on my TV in that mode, even though the disc says it does not have DV. The cool part is that while watching the movie, if you press "Display" on the x700 remote, it will tell you if it is actually sending a DV signal or not in the top left. Even if the TV is saying it is playing something in DV, the info from the 700 tells the true tale.

When I put in a movie with Dolby Vision, like The Matrix, the "Display" button shows the movie is sending over a true DV signal as is signified on the screen when you press "Display". Just something kind of interesting I noticed, so that way you know if something really is in DV or not.

Also, on Jurassic Park, I noticed a slight difference in colors when I had the 700 set to DV even though the movie isn't DV. HDR10 mode looked a bit more saturated, maybe a bit more red. I don't know what putting the 700 output to DV is really doing to movies that aren't in it. I'm guessing I should just set DV to "Off" in the x700 menu when playing a movie that isn't in DV.
post #1435 of 3469 Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have a 7.1 system (fronts, center, surround sides and height) on a Denon X3100W, with Sony X700 I will get TrueHD 7.1 or DTS-HD 7.1 played in all speakers ? Or 7.1 from disc is available for 5.1 + surround back ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior123 View Post
I've also been told that for upscaling, auto1 setting means the TV does it, and auto2 means the player does. Can anyone confirm this, along with the other upscale settings for the sony soundbar? Thanks!
From what I know, Auto1 is for Sony TVs and Auto2 is for other TVs.
post #1436 of 3469 Old 07-20-2018, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
SlingTV app?

Hi ,

Searched the thread and couldnt find info on this.

Can anyone confirm if the Sling TV app is available to download on the Sony X700 UHD Player?

Thanks!!

LG OLED55C6P
Xbox One X/ Sony UHD X700
Denon AVR-S920W - with 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup
Monitor Audio Bronze 6 - Monitor Audio Radius HD
Monitor Audio Bronze BXW10 Sub
post #1437 of 3469 Old 07-20-2018, 02:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8329
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyDi View Post
I have a 7.1 system (fronts, center, surround sides and height) on a Denon X3100W, with Sony X700 I will get TrueHD 7.1 or DTS-HD 7.1 played in all speakers ? Or 7.1 from disc is available for 5.1 + surround back ?
. . . .
If you have 2 of the speakers configured in your Denon as Height speakers then you actually have a 5.1.2 speaker configuration.

If you play a 7.1 track with NO Surround Sound processing enabled in the Denon, you will get 5.1 speaker output and the Height speakers will be silent. The Rear speakers content of the 7.1 track will be down-mixed into the Side surround speakers of your 5.1.2 speaker setup. So the Side surround speakers will carry both the Sides and Rears content of the 7.1 track

Your Denon likely has one or more Surround Sound processing modes which you can select to get it to generate audio for the Height speakers when you are playing content which includes no Height speaker channels, such as a TrueHD 7.1 or DTS-HD 7.1 track. If you enable that sort of Surround Sound processing in the Denon and play such a 7.1 track you will get 5.1 speaker output -- just as above -- PLUS audio generated by the Denon for your two Height speakers. Again, the Rears content in the 7.1 track will be down-mixed into your Side surround speakers (along with the Sides content). The audio going to the Height speakers will be generate by math in the Denon and thus won't be identical to any of the channels in the 7.1 track you are playing.

I've written this up in my Blog post here:

Understanding Audio Downmix and Surround Sound Processing, OR Wait! I've Got the Wrong Number of Speakers?

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 07-20-2018 at 02:56 AM.
post #1438 of 3469 Old 07-20-2018, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dermeister00 View Post
Hi ,

Searched the thread and couldnt find info on this.

Can anyone confirm if the Sling TV app is available to download on the Sony X700 UHD Player?

Thanks!!
I just checked and don't see the Sling TV app on mine.
dermeister00 likes this.

4KTV: Sony 65 930E Receiver: Pioneer VSX-LX101 7.2 Channel ATMOS/DTS-X Speakers: JAMO S 807(2) Fronts, Andrew Jones SP-FS52 (2) Rears, Center:SP-C22, Klipsch R-14SA Atmos Subwoofer: SVS PB-3000 Subwoofer 4K Player and Misc: Panasonic UB-820, Sony X700, Sony X800, Samsung UBD-K8500, Comcast Arris AX014ANM and Extreme 150 Internet and PS4 (6TB Edition)
post #1439 of 3469 Old 07-20-2018, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hoping for some expert advice...just installed the X700. I am trying to use the Digital Out (COAX) from the player to play SACD format music discs. I have the COAX out from the player going to my Marantz SR7012 Digital Audio In (COAX) assigned to its Media Player Input. This way, I can set the Marantz's Audio configuration differently for SACD and CD sources vs. Bluray sources. With these connections, though, I was unable to get any sound from the Marantz when playing an SACD on the X700. I am wondering what I am doing wrong, and whether what I am trying to do is possible. Is there maybe a menu option on the X700 I should be setting to make this work in conjunction with the connections?

Initially, I had an HDMI cable running from the X700's HDMI OUT 2 jack (AUDIO ONLY) to the Marantz's HDMI In (Media Player Input), but this resulted in no Audio when watching a Bluray connected to the X700's HDMI OUT 1 jack (VIDEO/AUDIO). That's when I decided to try the COAX, but can't get that to work either.

Thanks for your help!
post #1440 of 3469 Old 07-20-2018, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
I just checked and don't see the Sling TV app on mine.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG OLED55C6P
Xbox One X/ Sony UHD X700
Denon AVR-S920W - with 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup
Monitor Audio Bronze 6 - Monitor Audio Radius HD
Monitor Audio Bronze BXW10 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bluray , hdmi , soundbar