OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1937Likes

post #1981 of 3386 Old 11-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 277
If you hook the X700 directly to the TV, you will be stuck with only the lower quality Dolby Digital and standard DTS audio formats. To get the DTS Master HD or Dolby TruHD, even the 5.1 version from X or Atmos, you need to be hooked directly to the receiver.

You don't want to use PCM...PCM can be thought of as a digital set of audio cables, simple routing 6 separate signals down separate digital audio "lines" so to speak.On my DH590, my settings for working audio through ARC to my Sony TV are.

Digital Audio output Auto
DSD off
BD secondary off
Digital Music Enhancer off
DTS Neo off
192kHz (PCM works for PC Windows audio)
Audio DRC off
Downmix stereo

For my system settings I have
HDMI audio output HDMI1, HDMI2 would be if your using an HDMI cable as a secondary patch cable, 1 is ARC on my receiver

What are you seeing on the AVR display when you are having audio issues? You should see the proper format on the display panel of the AVR when you're playing back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzeled23 View Post
Hey there,

I have a Sony STR-DH770. I have a Sony 65 A1E OLED. I have a Sony UBP-X700 bluray player. I have just now tried to watch my first 4K UHD bluray, Pitch Perfect 3. The Bluray is plugged into the Bluray HDMI input on the receiver which is then plugged into the ARC input of the TV. However, there is no output at all when the audio output is set to "auto" in the bluray settings. Then, if I change the option to PCM it then plays what sounds like background audio only which should be coming out of the surround speakers. The UHD Bluray is format for DTX audio. My sound system setup is only a 5.1 setup. I played with all the settings and could not get any audio to correctly output.

I now have the UHD Bluray player plugged into the HDMI input of the actual TV rather than routing through my audio receiver. It all seems to be correctly working now. The receiver identifies the audio as DTS (3/2.1) and plays the audio through each channel correctly. However, I'd like to know why it will not worked when plugged into the receiver and if there is something I am not setting correctly.

Anyone else having issues with audio output using the X700?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 3386 Old 11-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 7
So I am currently trying to play Avengers Infinity War. I have silent audio and my AVR display says "PCM". Menu sounds play but as soon as I attempt to play the movie I have silence.

If I go into the AVR HDMI Settings and set "Audio Output" from "Amp" to "TV+AMP" I will get output and the AVR display now shows "Dolby Digital [3/2.1]

However my A1E loves to reset any settings on my AVR and I always have to set it back with every input change. However I feel like this current "fix" isn't really the right solution.

I hope you have some insight. I have set the settings as you have suggested as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
If you hook the X700 directly to the TV, you will be stuck with only the lower quality Dolby Digital and standard DTS audio formats. To get the DTS Master HD or Dolby TruHD, even the 5.1 version from X or Atmos, you need to be hooked directly to the receiver.

You don't want to use PCM...PCM can be thought of as a digital set of audio cables, simple routing 6 separate signals down separate digital audio "lines" so to speak.On my DH590, my settings for working audio through ARC to my Sony TV are.

Digital Audio output Auto
DSD off
BD secondary off
Digital Music Enhancer off
DTS Neo off
192kHz (PCM works for PC Windows audio)
Audio DRC off
Downmix stereo

For my system settings I have
HDMI audio output HDMI1, HDMI2 would be if your using an HDMI cable as a secondary patch cable, 1 is ARC on my receiver

What are you seeing on the AVR display when you are having audio issues? You should see the proper format on the display panel of the AVR when you're playing back...

TV: Sony XBR65A1E
Audio: Sony STR-DH790
Blu-Ray: Sony UBP-X700
post #1983 of 3386 Old 11-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, that is not right...and if you are seeing Dolby Digital 3/2.1 etc, that is the lowest form of highly compressed DD.
I wish I knew more to tell you to help, but these Sony AVR's don't exactly have what can be called a menu...they are a throwback to the 80's with a bunch of buttons. What happens if you hit the DIRECT button while playback is happening?

Paul

Quote:
So I am currently trying to play Avengers Infinity War. I have silent audio and my AVR display says "PCM". Menu sounds play but as soon as I attempt to play the movie I have silence.

If I go into the AVR HDMI Settings and set "Audio Output" from "Amp" to "TV+AMP" I will get output and the AVR display now shows "Dolby Digital [3/2.1]

However my A1E loves to reset any settings on my AVR and I always have to set it back with every input change. However I feel like this current "fix" isn't really the right solution.

I hope you have some insight. I have set the settings as you have suggested as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 3386 Old 11-08-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that is not right...and if you are seeing Dolby Digital 3/2.1 etc, that is the lowest form of highly compressed DD.
I wish I knew more to tell you to help, but these Sony AVR's don't exactly have what can be called a menu...they are a throwback to the 80's with a bunch of buttons. What happens if you hit the DIRECT button while playback is happening?

Paul
Unfortunately it is silence. The AVR actually doesn't show anything for type of audio coming through as if it isn't receiving anything. However, if I switch the AVR setting for audio output to TV+AMP then I'll get "DTS [3/2.1]" on the AVR display.

This is unfortunate as I would have hoped by using all Sony products it would "just work".

post #1985 of 3386 Old 11-08-2018, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Unfortunately it is silence. The AVR actually doesn't show anything for type of audio coming through as if it isn't receiving anything. However, if I switch the AVR setting for audio output to TV+AMP then I'll get "DTS [3/2.1]" on the AVR display.

This is unfortunate as I would have hoped by using all Sony products it would "just work".
Does your TV have an audio setting that you can change? Try changing that.
post #1986 of 3386 Old 11-09-2018, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Current version of AndroidTV will allow you to decouple AVR settings from sound mode of TV. Look for a setting in Sound on the Bravia. Not the Action menu but the cogwheel on home screen.
Confuzzeled23 likes this.
post #1987 of 3386 Old 11-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

I just played a few Amazon HDR titles, including Jack Ryan Dolby Vision Edition, and now Man in the High Castle. HDR set to AUTO, Dolby Vision set to ON. Both titles playing back as HDR10, NOT DV.\

First it was everything HDR plays as Dolby Vision, now everything Dolby Vision plays as HDR10. Anyone else having the same thing happening with current firmware version? I would play these on my Sony X900F TV, but the Amazon app for that TV is broken, and stutters.

Paul
post #1988 of 3386 Old 11-10-2018, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Yes, I have the same experience using the Amazon app with the X700: I only get HDR even on shows that are in Dolby Vision. I just watch them through another streamer (though the HDR editions look just fine).
post #1989 of 3386 Old 11-10-2018, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

I don't have any UDH DV discs on hand to test...I wonder if they fixed the UHD disc auto DV switching by turning of DV for everything else?

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickpal View Post
Yes, I have the same experience using the Amazon app with the X700: I only get HDR even on shows that are in Dolby Vision. I just watch them through another streamer (though the HDR editions look just fine).
post #1990 of 3386 Old 11-11-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
I don't have any UDH DV discs on hand to test...I wonder if they fixed the UHD disc auto DV switching by turning of DV for everything else?

Paul
No. Turning DV on will turn on DV for every UHD disc regardless of the way it's encoded. It also makes everything on Netflix, even regular HD shows with no HDR, display in DV. At least on my machine.
post #1991 of 3386 Old 11-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Current version of AndroidTV will allow you to decouple AVR settings from sound mode of TV. Look for a setting in Sound on the Bravia. Not the Action menu but the cogwheel on home screen.
Thanks for this, this has solved my problem of my television changing my selected sound fields. However, adding to the no output from my blu-ray with DTS audio. I have now tested 6 blu-ray, all stated on the case as DTS-HD Master 7.1. 3 have no audio, the other 3 are outputting in "DTS" and "DTS-HD Hi Res".

Would there be some kind of codec different among blu-ray discs that my receiver cannot process correctly?

The three that have no audio are Disney's Snow White from 2009, Frozen from 2013, Marvels Avengers 4K UHD... yet three that are working are Pinocchio, Inside Out, Big Hero 6.

As you can see I have a Disney fascination. However, I do not change anything with my systems settings. Some blu-ray work, some do not.

Very puzzling, I spent 2 hours with Sony Support and I swear they don't even know how their own products are meant to work. I was explaining the user manual to them.

Very annoying situation.

post #1992 of 3386 Old 11-12-2018, 06:01 AM

I have all of the same Disney discs that you mentioned (though I haven't watched any of them lately), so I'm not quite sure how the audio is set up with them. But one thing to check is the audio settings on each disc. From past experience, Disney is notorious for making the default audio settings on their discs not always the best audio codec on the disc. Sometimes they default to regular Dolby Digital rather than a lossless codec on the disc like DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD.

I have to admit I've never read a problem quite as unusual as yours.
post #1993 of 3386 Old 11-12-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I have all of the same Disney discs that you mentioned (though I haven't watched any of them lately), so I'm not quite sure how the audio is set up with them. But one thing to check is the audio settings on each disc. From past experience, Disney is notorious for making the default audio settings on their discs not always the best audio codec on the disc. Sometimes they default to regular Dolby Digital rather than a lossless codec on the disc like DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD.

I have to admit I've never read a problem quite as unusual as yours.
This morning I tried a few discs again and then ones that were working fine were now silent. So Sony Support is taking my AVR in for service. We'll see. At least they don't think it's the Player! Sorry to hijack the thread temporarily!

post #1994 of 3386 Old 11-15-2018, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby1 View Post
Mine skipped as well for the first 2 or 3 movies that I watched. They would normally skip or lock up after 45 minutes to an hour and they were all brand new 4k movies. I cleaned them as someone suggested and it kind of worked but not consistent. I had my unit sitting on top of my Yamaha RX-A2060 receiver and I believed it to be getting too hot. I was correct. My receiver normally does not run at high volume or get loud, but during movies it is about 75% or so volume so the heating is much more intense. I relocated my X700 and have not had any further issues. Hopes this helps someone else.

Gumby
Had more skipping last night on the last chapter of Jack Reacher UHD (about 2 hrs 3 mins in) and was about to launch this thing out the window then noticed Sony issued a Firmware update which purportedly improved HDMI stability.

Sure enough, after the update, the disc now plays fine. Unfortunately I can't go retest other issues since the discs were rentals...
post #1995 of 3386 Old 11-15-2018, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Anyone do the last update that is on the home screen only to have the app icons on the right side of the home menu disappear? I can still use the apps on the right hand side but the icons are gone now. I have not done a reset yet but i presume that will fix it.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
post #1996 of 3386 Old 11-15-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kiler View Post
Anyone do the last update that is on the home screen only to have the app icons on the right side of the home menu disappear? I can still use the apps on the right hand side but the icons are gone now. I have not done a reset yet but i presume that will fix it.

Mine disappeared and returned the next day.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #1997 of 3386 Old 11-15-2018, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Hey there,

I have a Sony STR-DH770. I have a Sony 65 A1E OLED. I have a Sony UBP-X700 bluray player. I have just now tried to watch my first 4K UHD bluray, Pitch Perfect 3. The Bluray is plugged into the Bluray HDMI input on the receiver which is then plugged into the ARC input of the TV. However, there is no output at all when the audio output is set to "auto" in the bluray settings. Then, if I change the option to PCM it then plays what sounds like background audio only which should be coming out of the surround speakers. The UHD Bluray is format for DTX audio. My sound system setup is only a 5.1 setup. I played with all the settings and could not get any audio to correctly output.

I now have the UHD Bluray player plugged into the HDMI input of the actual TV rather than routing through my audio receiver. It all seems to be correctly working now. The receiver identifies the audio as DTS (3/2.1) and plays the audio through each channel correctly. However, I'd like to know why it will not worked when plugged into the receiver and if there is something I am not setting correctly.

Anyone else having issues with audio output using the X700?

Thanks!
I got my X700 last May. I have played it through two different AVRs without any issues-audio nor video. All AVRs work basically the same, they route audio and video. That's what AVR means, duh!
The X700 has two HDMI outputs. The one labeled #1 provides audio/video if connected directly to an AVR. The other one stamped #2 is for audio only if you connect the X700 HDMI output #1 directly to a TV HDMI input. That is the way I have mine connected without any issues.
Let's get back to Home Theater basic installation rules before turning any component on. That is connecting all the HDMI and speaker cables accordingly. The next step is to turn the AVR and the TV on, why? To assign the AVR HDMI inputs to the correct components after you activate the AVR ARC HDMI output which is connected to the ARC HDMI input of the monitor or display or TV, which ever applies. You do the same with the TV settings. The last step is to set-up the Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD blu ray player in this case. I followed those basic steps and did not face any audio nor video issues when I put my Home Theater together.
post #1998 of 3386 Old 11-17-2018, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi!
Im kinda new to this HDR game! Just 2 day ago ive upgraded my tv to a LG OLED C8 and my bluray player to the Sony UBP-X700. Im not yet done with the picture quality setting on the Tv but i did play some movies in my x700 by curiosity. Keep in mind that i did the update on it and have dolbyvision set to ON.

First UHD dolby vision version of thor ragnarok looked great and it was my first experience with dolby vision and could really see the difference and it was amazing (also the jump from an old sharp aquos to a oled might help a bit lol)
Then played a mix of other uhd dolby vision blurays and finally wanted to see how older 1080p and non hdr content would look like. So I played Avatar and Tron.
As many of you noticed already, Dolby Vision was forced even on those non hdr content... Which im totally aware is wrong in term of picture quality accuracy and all, but im really split here because Avatar looked amazing, colors weren't over saturated too the max and were still natural looking and not all wrong to my eyes, just the same kind of pop hdr would give i guess ??
Then played Tron, i swear i know that movie colors since i always use the lightcycle battle to demo my home theater (audio mostly, since a 10 years old tv wasnt top notch) but this was the biggest shock so far it looked crazy good, the lights on the suits of peoples and the bikes were so bright and believable, All the neon effect were much better, the whole picture had so much depth and details but all this in a very good way again.

Then just to be sure, i turned dolby vision off and went back to the same scenes of the same two movies and it was dull and flat, maybe this have to do with the fact that i haven't finished tweaking my picture setting for SDR and HDR but the difference was crazy and I much prefer them right now with DV On but it feel kinda wrong since it shouldn't work like that?
Also I know i picked two movies with not the most natural and normal colors but the difference was so much night and day i wanted to ask if others feel the same and what they do when playing normal bluray, do you turn off dolby vision on your x700 or you let it on? Also, can someone test Tron and tell me if they see that much of a difference and which they prefer?

Btw, sorry for my bad english, not my native language...

Thanks
Mat-
post #1999 of 3386 Old 11-18-2018, 06:41 AM

As I said in an earlier message, I have found most Blu-ray (non HDR) films from the last twenty years that I've played in Dolby Vision look very appealing, and I like the result. But when I played my favorite James Bond film Goldfinger in Dolby Vision, color seemed a bit washed out and the picture much less enjoyable to watch. Maybe it's because I'm just too used to seeing Goldfinger in regular high def and can't adjust to the new DV look. I haven't tried it again with any older HD films like Casablanca or The Wizard of Oz, but it might be an interesting experiment.
post #2000 of 3386 Old 11-19-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Was super-pumped to see this player on sale until I learned that you have to manually disable Dolby Vision whenever not watching a dolby vision-encoded disc; seems like a total deal-breaker, no?
aaronwt likes this.
post #2001 of 3386 Old 11-19-2018, 09:55 AM

After reading a few posts about Dolby Vision(DV) on this player and others what is the golden rule? Let's make a fair comparison. If you buy a Corvette you know the engine needs PREMIUM gas>IT. That's a quick sensible answer.
Please, bear with me. IF you go a site to buy 4K UHD discs some sellers warn that you must have a 4K UHDTV and a 4K UHD blu ray player. Fine, no argument. Enter DV. That is my personal downfall, why? My 4K TV is NOT DV equipped. Am I correct to ask a DV able 4K TV is needed to properly utilize it? I have a 4K player, the Sony UBP-X700 and a few DV 4K UHDs. Again my DV chain is missing the DV 4K TV link. Following that I read that I should turn OFF the DV on my 700 which I did. BTW my 4K UHD TV is HDR compatible.
Please comment, thanks.

Last edited by Transistorious; 11-19-2018 at 10:23 AM.
post #2002 of 3386 Old 11-19-2018, 11:26 AM

I have a humble suggestion for you X700 owners. Shortly after I bought the player I went shopping for a different remote. The remote is the Sony RM-VZ320 which is fully compatible and very affordable.
Check:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...eries/rm-vz320
Good luck

Last edited by Transistorious; 11-19-2018 at 11:40 AM.
post #2003 of 3386 Old 11-19-2018, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post
Was super-pumped to see this player on sale until I learned that you have to manually disable Dolby Vision whenever not watching a dolby vision-encoded disc; seems like a total deal-breaker, no?
No.
PSBMAN likes this.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #2004 of 3386 Old 11-19-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post
Not, unless you try to watch SDR blurays.
You can easily watch HDR10 movies in Dolby Vision.
I, at least, am unable to see any differences in PQ.
post #2005 of 3386 Old 11-20-2018, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question

How loud are the UBP-X700s in operation?

I did not see this in the professional reviews of the UBP-X700, but I was wondering how loud the units are when in operation (playing a disk). It seems that some of the user reviews here and there mention the spinning disk as being a bit louder than some of the competition, and I was wondering if owners perceived it the same way in real life. I tried to listen to one in the stores, and the showrooms are pretty noisy, so tough for me to hear anything much.
post #2006 of 3386 Old 11-20-2018, 06:05 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9318 Post(s)
Liked: 6002
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjones View Post
How loud are the UBP-X700s in operation?

I did not see this in the professional reviews of the UBP-X700, but I was wondering how loud the units are when in operation (playing a disk). It seems that some of the user reviews here and there mention the spinning disk as being a bit louder than some of the competition, and I was wondering if owners perceived it the same way in real life. I tried to listen to one in the stores, and the showrooms are pretty noisy, so tough for me to hear anything much.
Its definitely quieter than the Philips 7502 I have. but the Phillips has proper auto switching between SDR, HDR10, and DV. Getting the Phillips worked out in my favor but I would have preferred another Sony. But not with a messed up system that erroneously requires DV to be manually turned on and off. I'm hoping Sony comes out with a proper DV player next year, so I can replace my Philips and Sony x800 in my DV setup.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2007 of 3386 Old 11-20-2018, 06:41 AM

I've never heard a disc spinning in the X700. I sit about 7 feet back from the TV and player.
theike likes this.
post #2008 of 3386 Old 11-20-2018, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
I've never heard a disc spinning in the X700. I sit about 7 feet back from the TV and player.
Me, neither.
theike likes this.
post #2009 of 3386 Old 11-20-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Not, unless you try to watch SDR blurays.
You can easily watch HDR10 movies in Dolby Vision.
I, at least, am unable to see any differences in PQ.
Is your display Dolby Vision equipped?
post #2010 of 3386 Old 11-20-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
Is your display Dolby Vision equipped?
It's the KD-65ZD9 with latest firmware, so yes, it is.
In general, it plays HDR10 so well, that I do not see much value added by DoVi. Definitely, totally out of proportion compared to the hype DoVi gets online.
Indeed, looking specifically into deepest blacks or tone mapping in extreme highlights (what Vincent Teoh does), might reveal differences, but they are rather minute, IMHO.
(Incidentally, on the same screen, HDR10 tonemapping in highlights (the knee) can even be different depending on picture mode you select.)

PS I also understand, that this behaviour can be totally different on other displays.
Jim Kiler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bluray , hdmi , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page