OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1831Likes

post #2221 of 3196 Old 12-26-2018, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The restriction is from Sony not allowing their players to play that audio back from an mkv.
That’s what I meant, yes. Maybe did not express muself clearly enough.
But this is Sony-specific limitation.
Then again, TrueHD tracks get packed inside MKV with additional AC3 track that is not there on pure bluray rips. Check the m2ts file off of a Dolby Atmos demo disc. They contain only 2 audio tracks: TrueHD and DD+, without the third AC3 track that apprars as soon as you convert it to MKV.
Also, to be able to mux TrueHD Atmos track with TSMuxeR you’d need to use eac3to.exe to pull special thd+ac3 “combined” track from MKV that can be muxed into bluray format.
Can well be that on bluray MLP and AC3 frames are interleaved in single elementary stream that gets pulled apart into 2 separate streams in MKV.
In general, I consider Sony’s player software to be quite strictly following the specifications. As a minimum - if it plays on Sony, it will play everywhere.
That’s just my opinion, though.
PS I have to admit, it weirdly interprets same streams differently, depending on the container.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 3196 Old 12-26-2018, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
This is the single most important setting.
Thanks priitv8, let me check today.
post #2223 of 3196 Old 12-26-2018, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliec2 View Post
This is the exact issue I had - I have an in-wall cable that works for 4k 24Hz (4k movies play fine) but fails with the X700 menu which is 4k 60Hz. I bought a new, premium cable and it works fine....however, there is no way to run it inside the wall....
I'm assuming you just have a wall-mounted TV and want to hide the cables. If that's the case and you already have a cable in the wall, it's usually easy to run a new cable in the wall. Just tie wire the old and new cables together at one end, tape over connectors to prevent snags, and pull on the other end until the new cable is through.

If you have a long cable run crossing the room or with many turns it might be difficult or impossible. Also if someone secured the old cable down with staples/nails then you can't use this method at all.

Speaking of snags, I once had to do a wire through a very small steel hole. Too small for an HDMI connector to pass through. So I bought an HDMI to mini-HDMI cable and ran the mini side through the hole. Then added mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter to the one end to get the connector back to normal size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2224 of 3196 Old 12-26-2018, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I'm assuming you just have a wall-mounted TV and want to hide the cables. If that's the case and you already have a cable in the wall, it's usually easy to run a new cable in the wall. Just tie wire the old and new cables together at one end, tape over connectors to prevent snags, and pull on the other end until the new cable is through.

If you have a long cable run crossing the room or with many turns it might be difficult or impossible. Also if someone secured the old cable down with staples/nails then you can't use this method at all.

Speaking of snags, I once had to do a wire through a very small steel hole. Too small for an HDMI connector to pass through. So I bought an HDMI to mini-HDMI cable and ran the mini side through the hole. Then added mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter to the one end to get the connector back to normal size.
I was hoping to be able to pull a new cable through - there was a couple of feet of slack on both ends that I could pull out however I hit a hard stop from both directions. I'm assuming it is tied to a stud at some point.

There is a CAT5e network cable - I'm going to try one of the HDMI over CAT5e adapters. I've ordered one that specifies 4k 60fps 4:4:4 + ethernet. The run is only about 15'. Really irritating that I can't get a cable through there - I lose ARC with the network solution. I have found several 4k 60fps YouTube videos that freeze on the X700 but play fine via the TV apps.

Wyatt
post #2225 of 3196 Old 12-26-2018, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just received an X700 for Christmas and hooked it up to my system:

Vizio PQ65-F1
Yamaha Aventage A2050

Currently my other components (X1 cable box, AppleTV 4k, PS4, XBox, Wii) are hooked up to the Yamaha, with one cable going from the Yamaha HDMI 1 Output to the Vizio HDMI 1 Input.

I was really excited for this because I wanted a source for DV, the Yamaha doesn't pass through DV, and this player has a dual HDMI input to separate video and audio signals. So the plan is to run one HDMI to the Vizio HDMI Input 2, the other to the Yamaha HDMI AV 4. I bought some deluxe cables rated to 18Gbps, set up as such and adjusted the menus such that audio was sent out from the player's HDMI 2.

When I do that, I get the menu picture but no sound when playing a disc. Sometimes the menu flashes. The receiver display goes back and forth with the HDMI icon flashing, and intermittent display of "Decoder Off", like the HDMI handshake is continuously attempted. I thought it was the HDMI cables, but these same cables work with my AppleTV, and are rated appropriately.

So I played around with the cabling, and after a crapload of troubleshooting, I've only been able to get the unit to work with video and sound when the HDMI output from the Yamaha receiver (HDMI output 1) is unplugged. That's right, it's not even in the operating circuit.

Anyone else run into this or something similar? I didn't find anything in this thread after a cursory search.

smptc73

"If you think it's a problem now, wait until we have it fixed!"
post #2226 of 3196 Old 12-26-2018, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
I lose ARC with the network solution.
Not with the latest generation of HDBaseT chipsets.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #2227 of 3196 Old 12-26-2018, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smptc73 View Post

Vizio PQ65-F1
Yamaha Aventage A2050

Currently my other components (X1 cable box, AppleTV 4k, PS4, XBox, Wii) are hooked up to the Yamaha, with one cable going from the Yamaha HDMI 1 Output to the Vizio HDMI 1 Input.

I was really excited for this because I wanted a source for DV, the Yamaha doesn't pass through DV, and this player has a dual HDMI input to separate video and audio signals. So the plan is to run one HDMI to the Vizio HDMI Input 2, the other to the Yamaha HDMI AV 4. I bought some deluxe cables rated to 18Gbps, set up as such and adjusted the menus such that audio was sent out from the player's HDMI 2.

When I do that, I get the menu picture but no sound when playing a disc. Sometimes the menu flashes. The receiver display goes back and forth with the HDMI icon flashing, and intermittent display of "Decoder Off", like the HDMI handshake is continuously attempted. I thought it was the HDMI cables, but these same cables work with my AppleTV, and are rated appropriately.

So I played around with the cabling, and after a crapload of troubleshooting, I've only been able to get the unit to work with video and sound when the HDMI output from the Yamaha receiver (HDMI output 1) is unplugged. That's right, it's not even in the operating circuit.

Anyone else run into this or something similar? I didn't find anything in this thread after a cursory search.
I have a Yamaha 1070 that passes DV but when I tried to hook my x700 up that same way you describe I couldn't get sound either. I did get plain jane 5.1 through the arc connection. I went back to just passing it through the receiver as mine supports it. I read in another thread somewhere that a user having the same problem said it only happened with the Vizio tv not his old tv. I'm guessing its some kind of faulty hdcp problem. There is another way with Yamaha receivers that your configuration will work, instead of unplugging your cable there should be an option to just turn off the receivers hdmi output while you use the x700 than turn it back on when you run video through the receiver. I tried it on mine and it does work.

Last edited by 0hwell; 12-26-2018 at 09:56 PM.
post #2228 of 3196 Old 12-26-2018, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
The player menu is probably 4K 60HZ and the disc is 24HZ. Sign of cable issues if the disc plays fine but not the player menu. What are the lengths of cable runs? If at or under 25 feet best to replace with Monoprice Certified Premium cables.

The other thing to check is the HDMI settings within the new TV. You want it set to enhanced for 4K content.

Yeah, went and tried a third HDMI cable and no more black screen on the menu. Their all 6 foot cables. Thanks
post #2229 of 3196 Old 12-26-2018, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I've been using the X700 with my Sony A9F for a couple of months now without issue, but tonight when watching the UHD disc of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, just past an hour into the movie, the screen suddenly turned black. The sound kept going, but the image just went away for about two seconds, then the Dolby Vision logo appeared in the upper right of the screen and the image came back. It was then fine for a couple of minutes, and it happened again. It then started happening every few seconds. I stopped the disc and resumed at the same point, and at first it seemed fine, but probably ten or fifteen minutes later, it started doing this again. I had to stop and restart the disc again, and we finally made it through the rest of the movie. I haven't changed or even moved anything in my system recently.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
post #2230 of 3196 Old 12-27-2018, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Just got an X700 to go with my 2018 Vizio P-series and a Sony STR 1080 reciever. Decided to test Dolby vision for first time with the matrix, and worked fine. When I switched back to watching cable(and turned off the x700) the colors were all messed up on my tv. I went back to the X700’s and turned off DV and things went back to normal.

Is this an ARC issue? It’s like the player is leaving a DV imprint in the receiver which is my gateway and passthrough device.

Thanks

Vizio P65-F1
Sony DN1080 Receiver
Samsung H5900 Blu-Ray Player
Goldenear Supercinema 3D
Goldenear Forcefield 3 subwoofer
post #2231 of 3196 Old 12-27-2018, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the 700 internally decode all the Bluray audio formats. Including Dolby Atmos and DTSX. Or are some of them only available if you bitstream option only to receiver. Just wondering if it does all the audios as PCM.
post #2232 of 3196 Old 12-27-2018, 02:09 PM

Back in Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0hwell View Post
I have a Yamaha 1070 that passes DV but when I tried to hook my x700 up that same way you describe I couldn't get sound either. I did get plain jane 5.1 through the arc connection. I went back to just passing it through the receiver as mine supports it. I read in another thread somewhere that a user having the same problem said it only happened with the Vizio tv not his old tv. I'm guessing its some kind of faulty hdcp problem. There is another way with Yamaha receivers that your configuration will work, instead of unplugging your cable there should be an option to just turn off the receivers hdmi output while you use the x700 than turn it back on when you run video through the receiver. I tried it on mine and it does work.
That trick seems to work. The receiver doesn't go crazy trying to figure out the HDMI handshake any more, and now there's sound and Dolby Vision on the screen. Thanks! Now I just have to figure out how to work that into a Harmony Macro. I don't suppose the HDMI out IR command is a discrete IR selection as opposed to a rolling list, is it?

smptc73

"If you think it's a problem now, wait until we have it fixed!"
post #2233 of 3196 Old 12-27-2018, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
That trick seems to work. The receiver doesn't go crazy trying to figure out the HDMI handshake any more, and now there's sound and Dolby Vision on the screen. Thanks! Now I just have to figure out how to work that into a Harmony Macro. I don't suppose the HDMI out IR command is a discrete IR selection as opposed to a rolling list, is it?
I use a harmony remote myself and the hdmi command is in the list for my Yamaha receiver if that's what you mean. I think it would be hard to add it to a macro because at least on my system I have to push the hdmi button for each toggle mine has 2 hdmi outputs so to turn both of them off I have to press the button about 3 times same with turning the display outputs back on.
post #2234 of 3196 Old 12-27-2018, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I just replaced my X-800 with the X-700 to take advantage of the Dolby Vision. Problem for me is that when changing volume levels with my Harmony remote or my AVR remote, the volume level does not show up on my TV like it always has. I'm sure it is a setting that I have wrong but don't know which one. Thoughts please.

Marantz SR7012, LG OLED55C7P, Sony UBP X800
Anthem MCA 525, Panamax M-5400
Kef R5, R2c, Paradigm MilleaniaOne Surrounds/Rear Heights
Kef Q150 Front Heights, HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 dual subs
Running 5.2.4
post #2235 of 3196 Old 12-27-2018, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Not with the latest generation of HDBaseT chipsets.
Do you have a link to products??

Wyatt
post #2236 of 3196 Old 12-27-2018, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim4511 View Post
I just replaced my X-800 with the X-700 to take advantage of the Dolby Vision. Problem for me is that when changing volume levels with my Harmony remote or my AVR remote, the volume level does not show up on my TV like it always has. I'm sure it is a setting that I have wrong but don't know which one. Thoughts please.
My denon x4400h manual states that it cannot display the menu overlay in a dolby vision stream. As to why this is the case, I don't know the exact answer to that.
post #2237 of 3196 Old 12-27-2018, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

Vizio PQ65-F1
Yamaha Aventage A2050

I am using the two HDMI cable outputs from the X-700. But I'm not using any Dolby Vision options, as my 4K doesn't process Dolby Vision. I've also told the X-700 to output sound only through the HDMI cable that I have running to the Receiver. I haven't had any picture or audio loss while watching any movies. I don't use my X-700 for anything else. I access You Tube and other apps through a Roku.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #2238 of 3196 Old 12-28-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbrillo View Post
Is this an ARC issue? It’s like the player is leaving a DV imprint in the receiver which is my gateway and passthrough device.
I pass my X700 through the DN1080 as well. I have not seen the issue you describe. I run the signal into a Bravia TV. I've set 2 HDMI inputs (appleTV and X700) on DN1080 to enhanced format, all others to standard format. TV input to enhanced as well. You may want to try changing these settings.
PS ARC has nothing to do with this - it is just for passing audio from TV back to AVR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpivovar View Post
Does the 700 internally decode all the Bluray audio formats. Including Dolby Atmos and DTSX. Or are some of them only available if you bitstream option only to receiver. Just wondering if it does all the audios as PCM.
No, it can and does also bitstream passthrough, so that all audio gets decoded externally in AVR. You can force it to PCM output, if you will. And I believe it defaults to it if you set it to do internal BD secondary audio processing. See https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post57319456
post #2239 of 3196 Old 12-28-2018, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 304
OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Do you have a link to products??
Anything that uses Valen’s latest chipsets and firmware (released February 2018) should support. For example the Pulse Eight P8-HDBT2-U-EXSET https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/203/ne...i-extender-set . But, generally, you shouldn’t be looking at any HDBaseT product released after March of this year from any vendor as that’s the line in the sand for best/widest UHD+HDR support .

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive

Last edited by TrendSetterX; 12-28-2018 at 10:09 PM.
post #2240 of 3196 Old 12-29-2018, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For those who are not yet ready to toss their 1080p projector but have to replace an old blu-ray player, the 700 works great for movies. I just turned off the 4k and HDR options in setup and it performs flawlessly with my sony HW40.
post #2241 of 3196 Old 12-29-2018, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Looking at possibly picking one of these up. Is there any update to Netflix Atmos support? If not is there anything other then Apple TV that support both Dolby Vision and Atmos
post #2242 of 3196 Old 12-29-2018, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by reburg99 View Post
Looking at possibly picking one of these up. Is there any update to Netflix Atmos support? If not is there anything other then Apple TV that support both Dolby Vision and Atmos
For streaming apps you are better off getting a streaming device. The new FireTV Stick 4k is a very good choice and does support DV and ATMOS, and much more. Unfortunately you just missed the holiday sale. They were selling them for $34.99 or 2 for $59.99 (I bought 4...😎). Now they are back up to $49.99...still a good deal for the capability they have.

Mark
post #2243 of 3196 Old 12-30-2018, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sorry if this has been asked, searched quite a bit. After upgrading TV to LG C8, have a dilemma now. My Denon X2100W didn't make the cut for HDR passthrough (X2200W and higher did) and my LG can't passthrough lossless Dolby and DTS (ARC). There are very few options with dual HDMI out and this player is one of them. Mainly play 1080p and (now) 4K rips with HDR. I am trying to stay away from the nvidia shield due to too many mixed reviews on the HDR playback.

Does this player support HDR over DLNA?
Any other option cheaper than $170 to playback both 4K HDR (with DV) and lossless audio?

LG C8 55" OLED | Sony UBP-X700 | Onkyo TX-RZ830 | Klipsch RF-82 II | Klipsch RC-62 II | Klipsch RB-51 II | Klipsch RP-500SA | SVS PB1000
post #2244 of 3196 Old 12-30-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
This is the single most important setting.
So I’ve done this on my x700 connected to a Denon x2400h, and I’m still getting TrueHD and not Atmos. When using my AppleTV I do get Atmos. Did a factory reset, same deal.

Any other ideas?
post #2245 of 3196 Old 12-30-2018, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does the x700 have HDR10+ and if not will it be something that Sony will rollout as firmware update? Was thinking of buying a new 4k player to upgrade from my old blu-ray player for more future proof. I don't have a 4k t.v. yet but will soon either the Sony AF9/AF8 or LG C8. I know the x700 has dolby vision on it.
post #2246 of 3196 Old 12-30-2018, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandofurion View Post
Does the x700 have HDR10+ and if not will it be something that Sony will rollout as firmware update? Was thinking of buying a new 4k player to upgrade from my old blu-ray player for more future proof. I don't have a 4k t.v. yet but will soon either the Sony AF9/AF8 or LG C8. I know the x700 has dolby vision on it.
Not right now and I don’t think there has been any mention of it possibly coming either. For what it’s worth the same could be said about the OLED models you mentioned as well, they do not have HDR10+ nor have any mention of them supporting in the future as of now anyway.

Sony XBR-65X930E (w/luminoodle)/Sony UBP-X700/Apple TV 4K/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X
Denon AVR-X6200W(Surround/Height)/Emotiva XPA-3(L/C/R)/AC Infinity Aircom T8 x2
DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/Panamax M4300-PM(Main) & MD2(Subs)/Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2247 of 3196 Old 12-30-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalakazam View Post
Does this player support HDR over DLNA?
Yes, it does. Both HDR10 and Dolby Vision. It just needs to be the single-layer version of it (Profile 5, same kind that appleTV likes). BDA-approved dual-layer (Profile 7) will only play back the first video stream, ie you get the HDR10 picture, without DoVi enhancement applied.
post #2248 of 3196 Old 12-30-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdiii View Post
So I’ve done this on my x700 connected to a Denon x2400h, and I’m still getting TrueHD and not Atmos. When using my AppleTV I do get Atmos. Did a factory reset, same deal.

Any other ideas?
Have you checked for firmware update for Denon?
What is your source? Does it indeed have Atmos track and you have it also activated?
Manual suggests just these 2 changes. But we could compare our settings whether they match. If they do, then the difference must be in the receiver.
PS here someone reports a similar issue: https://us.community.sony.com/s/ques...language=en_US
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-12-31 at 09.38.14.png
Views:	45
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	2503180  
post #2249 of 3196 Old 12-30-2018, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aKa DaShiznit View Post
Not right now and I don’t think there has been any mention of it possibly coming either. For what it’s worth the same could be said about the OLED models you mentioned as well, they do not have HDR10+ nor have any mention of them supporting in the future as of now anyway.
I forgot to check if the oleds support that. That made it easier decision. I think I was reading some articles about the difference between Dolby Vision and HDR10+ and that HDR10+ might do better because of the way it can be applied vs Dolby Vision. Like Fox blu rays are not released in dolby vision I think
post #2250 of 3196 Old 12-31-2018, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdiii View Post

Any other ideas?
I don't have an X700 player, but this suggestion has been mentioned previously...

"BTW, to get Atmos bitstream decoded by your receiver when using streaming services like VUDU, Netflix or Prime Video, you have to go on the X700 to Setup/Audio Settings/Digital Music Enhancer and turn it OFF. If it's ON you won't get Atmos signal in your receiver and it will show Dolby Digital only."

Digital Music Enhancer is ON by default. Make sure it's OFF in order to get Atmos bitstream out of the X700.

Hopefully this helps.
Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page