Originally Posted by ldgrmnmc
I'm thinking my one month old x700 has a problem. I have played 7 brand new, right out of the wrapping, 4K UHD discs in the last week, and 3 of them have caused the player to freeze up, requiring a total reboot.....turning the player on and off. And I don't think there is anything necessarily defective with the discs because on replay, they don't freeze up in the same places, or at all. FYI, based on a previous recommendation in this thread, I do have a 32G USB flash drive plugging into the front USB port----this may just have a myth that it helps, but I did it as soon as I got my player).
Not sure if this will solve your problem, however if you look online you will see similar threads on Sony's site that discusses Freezes on discs. I have also had my x700 for a few weeks now and it has frozen 3 times on 2 blu ray discs (new discs) and a 4k movie (new disc). I had to physically unplug the X700. After doing much research I came across a thread from another forum and it stated something like this:
"I wish I could find the exact post, but the theory on these things freezing has something to do with the network settings. The player tries to access/ping your network and if it doesn't get an immediate answer it causes the firmware to hang up and the player goes unresponsive. Some people on avsforum.com discovered if you turn off everything within the menu that accesses the network, the freezing problem goes away.Like I said, I can't find the exact discussion, but poke around in the x700 and x800 owners threads on AVSForum"
When this was discussed there was a recommendation to do the following:
Under Network Settings, turned OFF Auto Home Network Access
Under Network Settings, turned OFF Remote Start
Under System Settings, turned OFF Software Update Notification
I have since made these changes to my X700 and not sure if its just good luck right now, however I have played the same blu ray and 4k discs among others and have not since had a single freeze issue.
I am currently monitoring, however please post your experience if you decided to make the above modifications. Would be interesting to see if that fixed your issue.