OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1764Likes

post #2941 of 3037 Old 05-17-2019, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
That's the way all players work (Oppo, Sony, Panasonic, etc.). The player only reads core TrueHD. The players cannot read or decode Atmos metadata. That is up to the receiver. There is nothing wrong if the display on your receiver says Atmos.

S~
I feel dumb. lol
RobKnapp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 3037 Old 05-17-2019, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I think I have it figured out.
  • Make sure you have Digital Sound Enhancer off in the X700 sound settings, it affects streaming (Vudu) and the USB input. I think you had this but I didn't
  • Download the m2ts version from demolandia. As others mentioned, the mkv version doesn't work for ATMOS on the x700. However DTS;X mkv files work on the x700 via USB. Recommend you check out the DTS;X demo files as well, you might like them as a demo for your height speakers more than the ATMOS demos
  • Alternatively and this might be the most simple thing to do is register for Vudu (no credit card required) and do the free purchase of "Digital Bundle Dolby Atmos Experience". If you plan to stream movies from codes, you'll want Vudu setup anyway.

Good luck, all of these approaches work well.

OK. Got it to work with Atmos. Here was the secret for me to get it to work.

For the Denon 4500h there is a 'Sound Mode/Movie" selection on the remote. It cycles through a variety of decodings from Stereo on up. If there is an ATMOS stream, the ATMOS selection will become available, otherwise it is not shown. I have to select the ATMOS decoding with the remote and when I do it shows "Dolby Atmos" as the Input Signal and all speakers are activated (7.1.2). If another Sound Mode/Move decoding is selected initially, and playing the video, the receiver will not automatically select ATMOS.

Other important observations:
- If I leave the Denon Sound Mode/Movie selection on ATMOS and play a non Atmos, it seems to select an appropriate sound mode and when Atmos again appears as the audio it will recognize it. So I think Im leaving it on Atmos. This could be my problem in the first place is that I never realized I had the Atmos selection in Sound Mode

- .MP4 works fine for Atmos. The Dolby downloads from their site which are .mp4 work great as Atmos.
- x700 does not report Atmos. As someone already stated (I believe the starter of this thread), the x700 will show 5.1 when an Atmos video is played. So one needs to use the receiver to understand the data flow.

- Amazon Prime claims ATMOS: Dolby website states that Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime is ATMOS now. When I play it the Denon reports 5.1 input but there is a ATMOS movie selection available and the Denon shows 7.1.2 so the front upfiring speakers are activated. So Im confused why the Denon only reports 5.1 input.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...lby-atmos.html

Thanks for the help. there were many tips from you all along the way that helped me solve this.
post #2943 of 3037 Old 05-17-2019, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 81
On the Atmos topic, I was surprised last night when I went into the Netflix app thru the X700, no content was showing Atmos. I take it the Netflix app doesnt support Atmos?
As I've just read back a page or so, it looks like the Vudu app doesn't support Atmos either. Or am I interpreting incorrect.

I generally stream through Roku, but am looking as to other options to get streaming support for both Dolby Vision and Atmos.

Sony 75X940E, Denon X6200w, Sony X700, Roku Ultra, MiniDSP 2x4HD
Parasound (2x)HCA-855a, HCA-750a, Sony ES4300
Mission 705a L&R, dual 70c3 C, 703 SL&SR, 705 BL&BR, (4x)Yamaha NSIC800 Atmos
LFE- Front: M&K MX-200 & MX-150THX; Rear: M&K V-75 & Klipsch RW-12
ULF- 4xJBL Mini-riser BOSS + (2x)Aura AST-2B-4 shakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2944 of 3037 Old 05-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anybody run into trouble with HDMI switchers and this unit? I'm trying to use it with a FiveHome HDSW000171M1 connected to my BenQ HT3550. Connected directly it works flawlessly, through the HDMI switcher I get video signal for a very brief flash, then a full black or full green screen. nVidia Shield also connected to this same HDMI switcher unit and it works perfectly. If anyone has come across this before and has any advice it would be much appreciated!
post #2945 of 3037 Old 05-17-2019, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by satipo View Post
Hi all,

2. toggling through Netflix menu, everytime an auto preview video starts, I get a black screen, then move to next selection, another black screen, etc.

Disable 24p frame rate on Internet content.
galonzo, macmane and RobKnapp like this.

post #2946 of 3037 Old 05-17-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
On the Atmos topic, I was surprised last night when I went into the Netflix app thru the X700, no content was showing Atmos. I take it the Netflix app doesnt support Atmos?
As I've just read back a page or so, it looks like the Vudu app doesn't support Atmos either. Or am I interpreting incorrect.

I generally stream through Roku, but am looking as to other options to get streaming support for both Dolby Vision and Atmos.

Vudu does, but the only DV movie I'm aware of is Aquaman. https://forum.vudu.com/forum/vudu/ge...-Devices-List=

Haven't tested with Netflix, will try it tonight. Here's the content list: https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...by-atmos/42751
Never mind: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

BTW: Even my old Sammy would stream ATMOS from Vudu and Amazon, it's the DV support that required the upgrade.

Last edited by mpatnode; 05-17-2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: update
post #2947 of 3037 Old 05-17-2019, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsman View Post
OK. Got it to work with Atmos. Here was the secret for me to get it to work.

For the Denon 4500h there is a 'Sound Mode/Movie" selection on the remote. It cycles through a variety of decodings from Stereo on up. If there is an ATMOS stream, the ATMOS selection will become available, otherwise it is not shown. I have to select the ATMOS decoding with the remote and when I do it shows "Dolby Atmos" as the Input Signal and all speakers are activated (7.1.2). If another Sound Mode/Move decoding is selected initially, and playing the video, the receiver will not automatically select ATMOS.

Other important observations:
- If I leave the Denon Sound Mode/Movie selection on ATMOS and play a non Atmos, it seems to select an appropriate sound mode and when Atmos again appears as the audio it will recognize it. So I think Im leaving it on Atmos. This could be my problem in the first place is that I never realized I had the Atmos selection in Sound Mode

- .MP4 works fine for Atmos. The Dolby downloads from their site which are .mp4 work great as Atmos.
- x700 does not report Atmos. As someone already stated (I believe the starter of this thread), the x700 will show 5.1 when an Atmos video is played. So one needs to use the receiver to understand the data flow.

- Amazon Prime claims ATMOS: Dolby website states that Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime is ATMOS now. When I play it the Denon reports 5.1 input but there is a ATMOS movie selection available and the Denon shows 7.1.2 so the front upfiring speakers are activated. So Im confused why the Denon only reports 5.1 input.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...lby-atmos.html

Thanks for the help. there were many tips from you all along the way that helped me solve this.
One last suggestion. If you're looking for the best demo of ATMOS, I'm pretty sure the mp4 version of Amaze is a lossy DD+ version of ATMOS. Use the TrueHD lossless version in the m2ts file instead. You'll get more dynamic, punchier audio

Lossy ATMOS still sounds pretty good but it's not as good as lossless TrueHD.
galonzo likes this.
post #2948 of 3037 Old 05-17-2019, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post

The Vudu app does support ATMOS, that was my error. Netflix doesn't support ATMOS on the x700 though.
galonzo likes this.
post #2949 of 3037 Old 05-17-2019, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatnode View Post
Vudu does, but the only DV movie I'm aware of is Aquaman. https://forum.vudu.com/forum/vudu/ge...-Devices-List=
There's tons of DV titles on Vudu
galonzo likes this.
post #2950 of 3037 Old 05-18-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
One last suggestion. If you're looking for the best demo of ATMOS, I'm pretty sure the mp4 version of Amaze is a lossy DD+ version of ATMOS. Use the TrueHD lossless version in the m2ts file instead. You'll get more dynamic, punchier audio

Lossy ATMOS still sounds pretty good but it's not as good as lossless TrueHD.
the only ATMOS demos on the Dolby website are .mp4. I wonder about the pedegree of the m2ts files. If they were converted from .mp4 are they still lossless?
post #2951 of 3037 Old 05-18-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the only ATMOS demos on the Dolby website are .mp4. I wonder about the pedegree of the m2ts files. If they were converted from .mp4 are they still lossless?
The m2ts files are from Demolandia. Make sure to pick the m2ts version not the mkv. Also try the DTS;X ones which are also lossless
https://www.demolandia.net/cinema/do...ailers-hd.html
https://www.demolandia.net/cinema/dt...ailers-hd.html

I doubt that they are uncompressed from a compressed mp4 source. Click on your on screen display while the file is playing from your x700 remote and you'll see the bit rate differences between the lossy and lossless versions. The difference is significant and noticeable.
galonzo likes this.
post #2952 of 3037 Old 05-18-2019, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
Same with me. Mine also locks up after its been on a while, again requiring the unplug/plug in.

Sure would stink if it got functionaly bricked by the FW update
this happens to me once in a while too. another annoying issue is that it frequently resets itself and I would have to relog into my network and apps.
post #2953 of 3037 Old 05-19-2019, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
If they were converted from .mp4 are they still lossless?
They must be ripped directly from Dolby Atmos demo bluray disc.
As a matter of fact, MP4 container does not even take TrueHD tracks.
And the original MP4 demo files on Dolby's website never contained the lossless tracks, only the DD+ which is the only supported format for MP4/ISO file spec.
post #2954 of 3037 Old 05-19-2019, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey guys, I’m sure this has happened to a few people, but I can’t find a solution anywhere. Not to mention that Sony’s online tech support is a useful as a football bat. With that said, the other day I turned my X700 on for the first time in a long time. Everything seemed fine, but I noticed the apps just disappeared. Needless to say, I was a bit miffed. So I followed the prompts in the menus and reset everything to factory settings to no avail. I even unplugged the unit for a few minutes to see if that helped. Nothing has brought back any of the apps. Any solutions will be greatly appreciated.
post #2955 of 3037 Old 05-19-2019, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidPanama View Post
Hey guys, I’m sure this has happened to a few people, but I can’t find a solution anywhere. Not to mention that Sony’s online tech support is a useful as a football bat. With that said, the other day I turned my X700 on for the first time in a long time. Everything seemed fine, but I noticed the apps just disappeared. Needless to say, I was a bit miffed. So I followed the prompts in the menus and reset everything to factory settings to no avail. I even unplugged the unit for a few minutes to see if that helped. Nothing has brought back any of the apps. Any solutions will be greatly appreciated.
I get this all the time. On the start screen go and click on the vertical rectangle where the apps used to be and it'll go through the user acceptance process for the apps again.

I'm currently working to get my player replaced under warranty as this is so annoying. All the customisation of settings also disappears.

Sony XBR-65A9F, Sony UBP-X700, Denon AVR-890 (cooled by AC Infinity AIRCOM T10), Apple TV (non 4K), B&W 600 series & LM1s in 7.1 config, Harmony 1100i
post #2956 of 3037 Old 05-19-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsngaiouser View Post
I get this all the time. On the start screen go and click on the vertical rectangle where the apps used to be and it'll go through the user acceptance process for the apps again.

I'm currently working to get my player replaced under warranty as this is so annoying. All the customisation of settings also disappears.
Thanks for the reply. I’m pretty sure I’ve tried this as well, and no results. A few times it says there is no internet connection, which there is, and then makes be go through the user acceptance of the the terms of serivuce, and nothing shows up. It goes through the 3 step process for the apps, but nothing happens. It also says I have a usb drive connected sometimes, which I don’t.

It’s just terrible. I believe I bought it from Buydig on eBay. It’ll be a pain for Sony to service, but if that’s what it comes down to.
post #2957 of 3037 Old 05-19-2019, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidPanama View Post
Thanks for the reply. I’m pretty sure I’ve tried this as well, and no results. A few times it says there is no internet connection, which there is, and then makes be go through the user acceptance of the the terms of serivuce, and nothing shows up. It goes through the 3 step process for the apps, but nothing happens. It also says I have a usb drive connected sometimes, which I don’t.

It’s just terrible. I believe I bought it from Buydig on eBay. It’ll be a pain for Sony to service, but if that’s what it comes down to.
I get an "unsupported USB" message with nothing connected. That just started last week.

Sony XBR-65A9F, Sony UBP-X700, Denon AVR-890 (cooled by AC Infinity AIRCOM T10), Apple TV (non 4K), B&W 600 series & LM1s in 7.1 config, Harmony 1100i
post #2958 of 3037 Old 05-19-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsngaiouser View Post
I get an "unsupported USB" message with nothing connected. That just started last week.
Ok, so it’s not just me. He player is going wonky on more people. I think I may need it serviced. I initially had the X800, but downgraded to this for Dolby Vision Blu Rays and Dolby Vision apps. It’s been a bit buggy since day one, but I still have my X800.
post #2959 of 3037 Old 05-19-2019, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Hmm that should work. FYI, when i play the Dolby demo files on my Sony X700 they only come across as DD+ as well and the ceiling speakers do not activate. That suggests that the Sony X700 does not pass ATMOS from its USB port, as you already suggested. The internal Vudu app and Netflix apps do not support ATMOS either, so they will not help as demo source.

Do you have any other devices such as Apple TV, Shield, Roku, Fire Tv stick? What TV do you use? There are some TVs that have internal apps that support ATMOS and can be sent back to your AVR via ARC.

Haven’t gotten to the end of the thread yet, but thought this might be a good place to post.
I’ve been using the USB port on my 700 to play the Dolby Atmos demos. The only ones it likes though are mkv but my Marantz 6012 shows this...
post #2960 of 3037 Old 05-20-2019, 09:47 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrythm1k View Post
Haven’t gotten to the end of the thread yet, but thought this might be a good place to post.
I’ve been using the USB port on my 700 to play the Dolby Atmos demos. The only ones it likes though are mkv but my Marantz 6012 shows this...
Polyrythm1k: I have a Denon X3400H; similar to your Marantz. My sound is through eARC from an LG C9 through the Denon's "AUX2" using "TV Audio". How did you get the Marantz to display the info shown; mine will not, unless I select HDMI2(eARC) on the TV: the output port to the Denon?

Last edited by mhmercer; 05-20-2019 at 09:54 AM.
post #2961 of 3037 Old 05-20-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmercer View Post
Polyrythm1k: I have a Denon X3400H; similar to your Marantz. My sound is through eARC from an LG C9 through the Denon's "AUX2" using "TV Audio". How did you get the Marantz to display the info shown; mine will not, unless I select HDMI2(eARC) on the TV: the output port to the Denon?
You'll only get the AVR onscreen display when the audio signal is being sent from the AVR to the TV (in other words from sources connected to the AVR). It won't show for internal apps on your TV, or from devices connected directly to your TV.
galonzo likes this.
post #2962 of 3037 Old 05-20-2019, 10:07 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
You'll only get the AVR onscreen display when the audio signal is being sent from the AVR to the TV (in other words from sources connected to the AVR). It won't show for internal apps on your TV, or from devices connected directly to your TV.
Thanks. That's what I saw before I went with eARC. It's kind of a pain to have lost that info.

EDIT: I just figured out how to see the info. If one uses the 'phone app: "AVR Remote", the AVR's input and output is visible!

Last edited by mhmercer; 05-20-2019 at 10:14 AM.
post #2963 of 3037 Old 05-20-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
They must be ripped directly from Dolby Atmos demo bluray disc.
As a matter of fact, MP4 container does not even take TrueHD tracks.
And the original MP4 demo files on Dolby's website never contained the lossless tracks, only the DD+ which is the only supported format for MP4/ISO file spec.
thats makes total sense
post #2964 of 3037 Old 05-20-2019, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmercer View Post

Sorry so late. Looks like you got your answer though?
Can’t say much about earc. All my sources go to the Marantz and a single connection to the display. The info button calls up the display I posted. I check it frequently depending on source just to make sure.
post #2965 of 3037 Old 05-21-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrythm1k View Post
Sorry so late. Looks like you got your answer though?
Can’t say much about earc. All my sources go to the Marantz and a single connection to the display. The info button calls up the display I posted. I check it frequently depending on source just to make sure.
If only Marantz/Denon would also put the video signal details (color space, frame rate, etc) on that OSD, then it would be REALLY useful. Unfortunately they decided to bury that info several screens down inside “setup”...
galonzo and Polyrythm1k like this.

Mark
post #2966 of 3037 Old 05-23-2019, 05:39 PM

MKV Audio works sometimes.....why?

When I play a .mkv over USB on the x700, sometimes the audio works and sometimes ill get a message on screen from the x700 that it cant play audio. When playing the same files with VLC Media Player the audio always works on every file.

Is there a way to tell my looking at the .mkv codec information with VLC Media Player or other program as to whether the audio will work in the x700? That way I dont need to covert everything to .mp4 before hand.
Thanks!
post #2967 of 3037 Old 05-23-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
When I play a .mkv over USB on the x700, sometimes the audio works and sometimes ill get a message on screen from the x700 that it cant play audio. When playing the same files with VLC Media Player the audio always works on every file.

Is there a way to tell my looking at the .mkv codec information with VLC Media Player or other program as to whether the audio will work in the x700? That way I dont need to covert everything to .mp4 before hand.
Thanks!
What kind of audio does the MKV contain?
It is known, that Dolby TrueHD is not supported from MKVs on Sony players.
You can use Mediainfo to check the codec before you play.
post #2968 of 3037 Old 05-23-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
What kind of audio does the MKV contain?
It is known, that Dolby TrueHD is not supported from MKVs on Sony players.
You can use Mediainfo to check the codec before you play.
generally 5.1, also stereo.....any audio......about 70% of the time the x700 will not play .mkv audio but always video. A message at the start of the video will state something about incompatible audio. If I convert to .mp4 then I get the audio, 7.1, 5.1, stereo, 99% of the time converting to .mp4 works. I use convertthisfile to convert from.mkv to mp4.

Ive seen ac3 aac audio not play when its contained in .mkv.
post #2969 of 3037 Old 05-25-2019, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Amazon Prime video Canada.

Sony Canada has an article on how to get Prime Video on the X-700:

https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/s...icles/00010805

Has anyone tried it yet?
post #2970 of 3037 Old 05-25-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:
generally 5.1, also stereo.....any audio......about 70% of the time the x700 will not play .mkv audio but always video. A message at the start of the video will state something about incompatible audio. If I convert to .mp4 then I get the audio, 7.1, 5.1, stereo, 99% of the time converting to .mp4 works. I use convertthisfile to convert from.mkv to mp4.

Ive seen ac3 aac audio not play when its contained in .mkv.
That does not sound right and also does not correspond to my experience with my X700. The only audio I won't get from MKV-s is Dolby TrueHD. AC-3, E-AC-3, AAC, DTS (all flavors), PCM - these play without a problem.
Have you tried to remux the MKV with the current version of MKVToolNix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page