AVS Forum banner

OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

1M views 6K replies 969 participants last post by  Crashcarson 
#1 · (Edited)
Have one on the way for Wed.

Sony UBPX700 Streaming 4K Ultra HD HiRes Audio WiFi BuiltIn BluRay Player Black
Model: UBPX700

Get it by Wed, Jan 24.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x700

DOLBY VISION™1 (This feature will be made available via future firmware update in summer 2018.)
Bring scenes to life with striking highlights, deeper darks, and vibrant colors. Dolby Vision™ is an HDR solution that creates an immersive, engaging cinematic experience in your home.

Size & Weight

DIMENSIONS (W X H X D)
W 12-3/5" x H 1-4/5" x D 8-1/2" (320 mm x 45 mm x 217 mm)
WEIGHT
3 lb 1 oz (1.4 kg)

MSRP

$249.99

Playback Capability

DISC
BD-RE, BD-RE Dual Layer, BD-ROM, CD (CD-DA), CD-R/-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Double Layer, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD-RW, DVD-Video, SA-CD (SA-CD / CD) Playback, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), Ultra HD Blu-ray™

VIDEO FORMAT
AVCHD Disc Format, HEVC, Motion JPEG (.mov, .avi), MPEG-1 Video/PS (.mpg, .MPEG, .mkv).VOB, .VRO, MPEG-2 Video/PS, TS (.mpg, .MPEG, .m2ts, .mts, .mkv).VOB, .VRO, MPEG-4/AVC (.mov, 3gp, .3g2, .3gpp, .3gpp2, .flv), MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts), VC1 (.m2ts, .mts, .mkv), VP6, VP8, VP9, WMV9 (.wmv, .asf, .mkv), Xvid (.avi, .mkv)

AUDIO FORMAT
AAC (.AAC, .mka), AIFF (.aiff, .aif), ALAC (.m4a), Dolby® Digital (.ac3, .mka), DSD - DSDIFF/DSD (.dff, .dsf), FLAC (.flac, .fla), HEAAC v.1/v.2/level2, LPCM (.mka), Mokey’s Audio, Vorbis, WMA10 Pro, WMA9 Standard (.WMA)

PHOTO FORMAT
BMP (.bmp), GIF (.gif), JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg), MPO MPF 3D (.mpo), PNG (.png), WEBP (.webp)

Picture and Audio Features

PICTURE FEATURE
24p True Cinema™, 4K Upscale (60p), Deep color (12 bit)

CERTIFIED HI-RES AUDIO
No

DOLBY
Dolby Atmos® (bitstream out)/Dolby® True HD decoding (7.1ch)

DTS®
DTS:X™ (bitstream out)/DTS decoding (7.1ch)

DSEE HX
No

BLUETOOTH®
No

Network

WI-FI® BUILT IN
Yes

WI-FI® MIMO
Yes

FEATURES
Screen mirroring (Wi-Fi® Miracast)

STREAMING
3D Streaming, 4K streaming, Live streaming

Terminals

INPUT AND OUTPUT
Coaxial Audio Output(s): 1 (Rear), Ethernet Connection(s): 1 (Rear), HDMI Output(s): 2 (Rear), USB Input(s): 1 (Front)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'm picking mine up Thursday 1/25... I'm very interested to see the capabilities of the built-in apps!

Edit: Picked it up Wednesday 1/24, but not going to be completely installed for a few days :eek:

Leon McKee

Attachments

#4 ·
Metal case, that is a change. I was afraid it was all plastic. I am guessing since they moved the power supply back out of the inside, it just allowed them to reduce the size of the X800.

Just still wonder how hard or costly it is to include a digital counter on the front :nerd:

#5 · (Edited)
OK, if you owned an X800, same ol same ol for menus. Few things to note:

• Amazon App has HDR
  • They finally call it BD Secondary Audio in the menu (to turn on or off)
  • Only 2ghz wifi (hit 60mbps on the Netflix speed test which is normal for me with 2ghz)
  • In the pics you will see the drive on one of my X800's is a UPX-1 from June 17, the X700 is a UPX-2 from Oct
  • In the pics you will see the guts are similar, just doesn't have all the weighty brackets inside and the power board is no longer inside with the current design. Most of outer case is metal and not plastic
  • Only visible chip on the board on each is the Sony ARM. MediaTek is under heatsink

Amazon and Netflix SDR and HDR10 look great, seem to be in 24hz as usual, but someone with a Denon can check framerate and bit depth if they want. I just left everything on Auto with the X800, will do the same here. 1080p and 2160p Blu-ray look fine too. Other than a couple of small changes, just seems like an X800 that will be getting Dolby Vision.

Attachments

#9 ·
Does the x700 Netflix app output in DD like the x800/x1000 does? Or does it output in DD+ like it should be doing?

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Just bugs me that it's not full component size. I will probably be replacing my X1000ES this year but not with this thing.

#13 ·
Thanks.

You also mention 2ghz wifi. The x800 has 5ghz and 2ghz. Are you saying the x700 only has 2ghz wifi? If so that is another difference between the x800 and x700.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Thanks to gadgtfreek for the technical comparison of the X700 to the X800...

This is my first UHD, HDR10 and (soon) Dolby Vision Blu-Ray player! Started 20 years ago with the Sony DVP-S7000 and just upgraded to this UBP-X700 from the Sony BDP-S6500. The UBP-X700 is NOT a high-end unit, but it more than fills the needs of my wife and I. What I wanted was UHD, HDR10, Dolby Vision and decent apps along with a small form factor. My main focus is streaming so...

Size: For the first time in over 25+ years I don't have a dedicated room for home theater. The UBP-X700 fits nicely in a small decorative cabinet where a full size unit would not fit. No heat or noise issues in the cabinet.

Speed: This unit is fast and silent in my opinion.

Apps: For some reason this player streams at 25% to 100% faster than my brand new X930E depending on service and what's being streamned. Both units are hard wired to the same switch and I've switched ports and the results followed! The apps work about as well as can be expected at this point in time. If all the major apps are UHD and HDR10 across all platforms I'll be happy. Dolby Vision outside the ATV4K is a bonus for my needs :)

Remote: Like all Sony remotes the UBP-X700 remote sucks (just saying). However, I've used URC for 15 years so I'm spoiled!

Cost: I realize the cost of this unit will drop like a rock later in the year. However, since this is my first UHD player and I had a use it or lose it credit at BestBuy I was not concerned about paying retail. Considering what I've paid for units in the past I'm happy.

Overall I'm very happy with the UBP-X700. This units fits my basic UHD needs and it's compact in size.

Leon McKee

#146 ·
As an actual owner of the UBP-X700, can you answer a question for me? This player uses what looks like a rather large external power supply module, but I can't find its dimensions listed anywhere. Since our space for gear is limited, any chance you can measure that power supply module? If it's too large, we may have a problem if we buy this player.... thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

John

#19 · (Edited)
I've also found that higher frame rate 4K on my X930E's YouTube app changes resolution due to connection speed negotiating. However, the exact same higher frame rate 4K on my X700 is rock solid. This has happened numerous times in my testing across both devices using "Stats for nerds" as a reference. Again, same switch and the issue follows hard wired port changes. The bottomline is the X930E hits about 1/3 of connection speed max while the X700 hits 2/3 of max. Strange!

The bottomline, for me, is that until the ATV4K has 4K YouTube I'll focus on the X700. Since I watch a lot of YouTube this makes the X700 a great investment at this point.

Leon McKee

#18 · (Edited)
I have this Sony UBP-X700 connected directly to my Sony X930E HDMI port 3 with a brand new 15ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cable with NO issues. Tested UHD HDR10 disks and all the major streaming services with no issues. No issues when switching devices and the UBP-X700 is available within 3 seconds (I bet I switched to the X700 close to 50 times in two days of testing and remote programming). The cable has a few bends and it's running through a wall so fingers crossed as heat and time sometimes changes things.

Leon McKee

#24 · (Edited)
Edit as of 5/31/2018: With firmware version M43.R.0175 the X700 gives me:

UHD Blu-ray Disc: UHD and Dolby Vision & HDR10 (Atmos is supported)

Netflix: UHD and Dolby Vision & HDR10

Amazon: UHD and HDR10

YouTube: UHD and HDR10 with Codec vp9.2

Vudu: UHD and Dolby Vision & HDR10 (Atmos is supported)

Leon McKee

#29 · (Edited)
Every YouTube 4K HDR10 video I've tried invokes the vp9 (313) codec just like my X930E does. No HDR. I sure hope this changes!

EDIT: Just found one that works! The X700 YouTube app does HDR10 with Codec vp9.2 (337)

Leon McKee

Attachments

#35 ·
Try subscribing to "The HDR Channel" on Youtube. They have a bunch of HDR videos that should work for a player supporting VP9.2

#30 ·
So here's the X700 information screen for Vudu when viewing a UHD movie that has HDR. Notice the HDR is grayed out. Maybe there's hope for the future of Vudu HDR on Sony devices, but I can't get it to trigger at this point.

Leon McKee

Attachments

#31 ·
I'm starting to think that the X700 and ATV4K are going to be my only streaming devices! The X700 UHD and HDR support is great with Vudu HDR being the slacker at this point. Of course, when the X700 is updated for Dolby Vision it'll be time to make a new analysis. However, I suspect (guessing) that the X700 may end up being one of the most capable streamers for the major services. Fingers crossed that the summer X700 Dolby Vision update gets us not only Dolby Vision, but even better apps :)

Leon McKee

#2,484 · (Edited)
Oblivion does show HDR on my player on the Vudu page. But... my Atmos sound doesn't work on the device. But when I turn on Dolby Vision in the X-700 settings, Atmos returns on this film, and of course, it plays DV. I don't understand that, because other titles do stream Atmos on this device, and Atmos works with this title on other devices. Strange...

#33 ·
I got the X800 yesterday at BB but it's kinda big and doesn't fit well in my shelf. I just ordered the X700 from BB and it will be delivered tomorrow. Anything that I would be giving away going from the X800 to X700? My 4K TV is from 2015 so no HDR, No Dolby Vision. I'm planning to upgrade to LG OLED 55C8 by Thanksgiving, though.

#39 ·
#47 ·
I bought the X800 last year mainly for 4K HDR, Dolby Atmos and multichannel audio disc playback (SACD, Bluray Audio and DVD-A). It's been great. Now with my 930E finally getting Dolby Vision support my only streaming source for Dolby Vision is 930E Netflix built-in and the ATV 4K. So now looking for a disc player that supports DV. I notice Sony dropped support for DVD-A on the X700, which is a bummer. I still have an old OPPO for DVD-A. Although it's not available in Canada yet, BB doesn't show it online, I see the price of the X700 is higher than the X800? is it worth the upgrade?

#50 ·
Well, having any VUDU on this thing is a bonus! I didn't see VUDU listed as one of the streaming apps on Best Buy, Amazon or Sony's site. Did I miss it?

What audio tracks do you get from VUDU? I installed the 4k VUDU app on the 940E, but it only sends out a stereo track. The original VUDU app on the TV can do DD+ (via ARC).

Also, can you use the A1E remote to control the x700?

#51 ·
I got the X700 this morning. I love the form factor because it fits perfectly in my bedroom rack. Did the firmware update and it's running really well. As far I can tell, the only differences I found between the X700 and the X800 are the remote which I like the X800 better, no bluetooth on the X700 which is not a deal breaker for me and the "BD Audio MIX Setting" is gone so by default it sends Bitstream right out of the box. I'll be packing the X800 and bringing it back to BB this afternoon.

#53 ·
Hello All,

I recently purchased UBP-x700 and this is connected to Yamaha RXA-870 AVR. When I try to play the files from USB ( with bitstream out on), it is not sending the Dolby Atmos audio to AVR.

I am really confused. Can you please help ?

I can see that DD+ formats are bitstreaming okay.

Audio format is:
Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : TrueHD
Format profile : TrueHD+Atmos / TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 1 h 52 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 5 616 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 8 229 kb/s
Channel(s) : Object Based / 8 channels
Channel positions : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : / 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 4.43 GiB (31%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

#55 ·
can you be more specific? as to which type of media file/extensions you have tried?

take my experience with my current lg up970 for example, it won't play MKV files at all, IF the default/first audio track is TrueHD (TrueHD 7.1 or TrueHD + atmos); if the TrueHD track is in any other order (not first in line), then the MKV file WILL get played, but try switching to the trueHD audio track yields no sound (as if it doesn't know what to do with it). Otherwise, it plays MKV files containing all other audio formats just fine, including the atmos-counterpart DTS-X (huh). I then discovered that it plays TrueHD + Atmos, but in m2ts format, with no problem (it might play TrueHD in other container formats as well, but my experiment stopped there). So, after eliminating these variables, my conclusion with Up970 at least, is that it won't play TrueHD inside a MKV container, specifically.

You just have to be "scientific" about it, lol.

#57 ·
VUDU does support Atmos. If I recall Netflix support Atmos only with XBOX One S and X

BTW, to get Atmos bitstream decoded by your receiver when using streaming services like VUDU, Netflix or Prime Video, you have to go on the X700 to Setup/Audio Settings/Digital Music Enhancer and turn it OFF. If it's ON you won't get Atmos signal in your receiver and it will show Dolby Digital only.

Attachments

Reactions: HTX^2steve