LG unveils 2018 UHD Blu-ray players - UBK90/80 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #61 of 230 Old 05-23-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Got the last one at my local BB today...

Setup was super easy as well as initial tweaking. The GUI is about as plain Jane as can be but it works and does what I need it to do. I watch Netflix, etc via my TV apps so no need for them on the player.

Popped in the Black Panther movie in 4k and it started quickly and easily. Watched bits and pieces and it looked great.
Watched "Terminator" in BD tonight and the video was great and the audio was better...really impressed by this player at least at this point.

This is a replacement for a Sony x800 that I recently received from Sony as a replacement for the 800 I purchased last year and kept freezing. First movie I watched in the replacement was Black Panther in 4k and half way through it froze hard...no response from the remote buttons. I had to unplug it and start it up to get it to work and then it did work fine but that was the last straw...out it goes. I'll try to get a refund from Sony but if not I'll sell it for a few bucks with the caveat that it is sketchy playing some 4k's.

Looking forward to seeing what Dolby Vision looks like but I have to check my disks to see what ones, if any, have DV.

More to follow...
Funny, I have a Sony BDP-S5200 Bluray player and when playing the Black Panther Bluray disk I got from Redbox last weekend, it froze the player in the same way (needed to pull the power cord to get any response).

First time anything like that has happened to that player with over 1000 Blurays played, so perhaps there is some issue with that specific movie (Black Panther) and Sony disk players...

On another note, it sounds as though the early consensus is that the UBK90/80 is a superior UHD player to the Sony x800. Other than the lack of VUDU/Prime and the higher early-adopter' price, are there any negatives that have been identified with this player?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 230 Old 05-23-2018, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 495
I received my ubk90 today some great deals on this player this week convinced me to use it as a reasonable backup to my oppo 203. So far very happy. Very basic player easy setup Dolby Vision from the get go even with Netflix. Quiet fast no freezes so far. Only issue I find the remote buttons a little spongy and slow to respond. Pa seems great so far

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #63 of 230 Old 05-23-2018, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Posts edited and deleted. Price talk, Deal's talk, and retail links are not permitted outside of the designated Deals' areas. Please stick to technical discussion.
Deal's talk is not permitted.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 230 Old 05-23-2018, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I've watched several movies thus far and find it a very nice device...but it sure is spartan regarding setup settings compared to the Sony...There really are very few settings but as it plays so well I have no complaints.
I can't use Dolby Vision as my TV doesn't support it..."oh honey, sweetie pie, it's time for a new TV, gotta keep up with the technology"...wham ! frying pan upside of the head...hehehe...not really...I'm very happy with my system but love technology.
mike1sc likes this.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #65 of 230 Old 05-24-2018, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thinking of getting the UBK90 for its Dolby Vision support.

When I got my setup, we had the choice of the Panasonic UBD900 or the cheapy Samsung, so went with the Panasonic - but no Dolby Vision. Was toying with the idea of a Oppo 203, but given it's now years old, and the recent farewell from Oppo, looking elsewhere.

I know the settings on the Panasonic are pretty comprehensive - especially compared to the UBK90 from looking at reviews and the manual - but does anyone have two cents to contribute to whether it is a decent upgrade from the UBD900?

The UBD900 looks better, has a solid build and display - the UBK90 is plastic and not as polished to look at, so cosmetically feels like a step back.

The UBK90 is new, where as the UBD900 is a few years old, so does the processing capability warrant the upgrade?

Panasonic are good at their sales speil about processing and quality - LG is more relaxed in that nature - but given the overall physical look of each product, it feels like you're comparing a cheap product vs a premium product - but do admit I'm clueless RE the actual potential and capabilities of what the player does. Basically top video is a good priority for me.

Basically, Dolby Vision support is the driving factor in upgrading. The UBD900 would become the player for the Marty Cave's TV.

The other query is about Simplink - I saw in a review for last year's 970 that you couldn't turn it off. What impact would that have if the UBK90 was routed through the Yamaha AVR then to the LG OLED, given I don't want the TV to power on/off the UBK90 as the Harmony remote handles all the devices on the setup. I still do use the ARC for one device (that bugs out unless connected directly to the TV, but that's another story), so pretty sure disabling CEC on the TV would disable ARC, yes?

Would the UBK90 still be a suitable fit in terms of performance and compatibility with the setup, or wait for something a little more configurable such as the UB820, when it arrives? Won't be until July in Australia, and may still not have Dolby Vision yet as Panasonic say it will come with a software update.

Edit: added notes about the UB820.
bigzee3 likes this.

LG OLED65B6 | Yamaha RX-A860 | LG UBK90 | Morel SoundSpot SP2 (x5) | Morel Sub 8X | 2 x Atmos/DTS:X speakers | Fetch Mighty | Plex | Apple TV 4K
LG OLED55C7 | PS4 Pro | Panasonic UB900 | LG SJ9 | Apple TV 4K

Last edited by martyfriedel; 05-24-2018 at 06:27 PM.
post #66 of 230 Old 05-24-2018, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyfriedel View Post
Thinking of getting the UBK90 for its Dolby Vision support.

When I got my setup, we had the choice of the Panasonic UBD900 or the cheapy Samsung, so went with the Panasonic - but no Dolby Vision. Was toying with the idea of a Oppo 203, but given it's now years old, and the recent farewell from Oppo, looking elsewhere.

I know the settings on the Panasonic are pretty comprehensive - especially compared to the UBK90 from looking at reviews and the manual - but does anyone have two cents to contribute to whether it is a decent upgrade from the UBD900?

The UBD900 looks better, has a solid build and display - the UBK90 is plastic and not as polished to look at, so cosmetically feels like a step back.

The UBK90 is new, where as the UBD900 is a few years old, so does the processing capability warrant the upgrade?

Panasonic are good at their sales speil about processing and quality - LG is more relaxed in that nature - but given the overall physical look of each product, it feels like you're comparing a cheap product vs a premium product - but do admit I'm clueless RE the actual potential and capabilities of what the player does. Basically top video is a good priority for me.

Basically, Dolby Vision support is the driving factor in upgrading. The UBD900 would become the player for the Marty Cave's TV.

The other query is about Simplink - I saw in a review for last year's 970 that you couldn't turn it off. What impact would that have if the UBK90 was routed through the Yamaha AVR then to the LG OLED, given I don't want the TV to power on/off the UBK90 as the Harmony remote handles all the devices on the setup. I still do use the ARC for one device (that bugs out unless connected directly to the TV, but that's another story), so pretty sure disabling CEC on the TV would disable ARC, yes?

Would the UBK90 still be a suitable fit in terms of performance and compatibility with the setup, or wait for something a little more configurable such as the UB820, when it arrives? Won't be until July in Australia, and may still not have Dolby Vision yet as Panasonic say it will come with a software update.

Edit: added notes about the UB820.

I'm in the same boat. Went with Panny 900 over Oppo 203 because of Oppo,s early issue and I got the Panny via finance. Me personally I only care for the 4K performance as that's all it would be used for or maybe the odd region locked blu ray as I have a Oppo 103 US model. So hope some reviews come thru soon to help me decided or I might end up with the 820.
martyfriedel likes this.
post #67 of 230 Old 05-24-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee3 View Post
I'm in the same boat. Went with Panny 900 over Oppo 203 because of Oppo,s early issue and I got the Panny via finance. Me personally I only care for the 4K performance as that's all it would be used for or maybe the odd region locked blu ray as I have a Oppo 103 US model. So hope some reviews come thru soon to help me decided or I might end up with the 820.
It's that battle of the marketing terms, hey? Be interested to see what UBK90 users come back with - especially if they've used the 203 or the 900 too.
bigzee3 likes this.

LG OLED65B6 | Yamaha RX-A860 | LG UBK90 | Morel SoundSpot SP2 (x5) | Morel Sub 8X | 2 x Atmos/DTS:X speakers | Fetch Mighty | Plex | Apple TV 4K
post #68 of 230 Old 05-24-2018, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does UBK90 allow you to play media files from a cloud storage device? I have the Sony 700 and debating on switching to the UBK90. But the 700 allows me to play my avi files from the player. I have the LG970 and that wasn't an option. I'd only want it if it can work from my wireless system not having to stick a USB device directly into it. Also can anyone confirm what apps it does have? Does HDR work on youtube along with Dolby atmos? Same with Netflix. I see people say the DV works on netflix but how about atmos?

Thanks
post #69 of 230 Old 05-26-2018, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Last Thursday, my Dad bought the last remaining UBK90 from my local Best Buy. He brought it to me, to test it first on my system, since he has a non DV display (Sony X900E) but not for long. We also did something similar last year with the LG 970 player (before the DV update), and we were very dissapointed (like most people). He immediately returned it and later bought a Sony X800 UHD Player.

Anyways we tested the UBK90 on my system (LG C6 OLED thru an AVR Denon S920W *DV Updated* with BJC HDMI Cables) and we were impressed. We played a couple DV discs back and forth, like SW Last Jedi, Black Panther and Spider Man HC. The display recognized everytime the signal was DV, and inmediately you could tell a difference in picture quality vs HDR. Dolby Atmos engaged without any problems, and sounded great.

Right now I'm using a Xbox One X for playing UHD discs. And this test has gotten me thinking of getting a standalone UHD DV player, since I'm losing hope of a DV update for the Xbox.

note: I always have all the video processing/enhancements on the Denon OFF.

UPDATE 6/3: After some days of testing I became aware that with certain DV Discs, the problems with the high black levels/gray boxes using LG Oleds C6 were too distracting. Ex. the Matrix DV Disc.
Right now Im testing a Sony X700 (DV updated) and couldnt recreate this problems/anomalies. More testing to be done with the X700 coming up (over to the official x700 thread).

LG OLED55C6P
Xbox One X/ Sony UHD X700
Denon AVR-S920W - with 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup
Monitor Audio Bronze 6 - Monitor Audio Radius HD
Monitor Audio Bronze BXW10 Sub

Last edited by dermeister00; 06-03-2018 at 08:31 AM. Reason: UPDATE
post #70 of 230 Old 05-26-2018, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi folks I had my first issue with my ubk90 last night but it might have been just a dirty disc . The other evening when I got thre player I tested out the beginning of private Ryan on both my oppo 203 and the ubk90. Was very impressed with this new player. The next night I watched the new uhd of braveheart. Great picture and atmos sound. Last night we watched private Ryan there were several brief dropouts mostly audio and at 1hour and 39 minutes it froze. Without unplugging after several button pushes I got it to reverse and it froze at same spot. Stopped the movie I went again to same spot it froze. I stopped took disc out wiped with fiber optic cloth and it played fine. My opinion somehow while fooling around with the disc it must have gotten a bit dirty. I think it was a disc issue but an issue I haven’t had with the oppo. Making me think the player might not be defective but more sensitive to dirty discs. I plan to use it a lot in the next few days to hopefully see this is not an issue like the Sony x800 or lg970 which I have had in the past. If so back it goes. I hope not as I really like this very spartan player. More than I thought I would.

Last edited by william06; 05-26-2018 at 02:40 PM.
post #71 of 230 Old 05-26-2018, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
From the limited feedback so far, he UBK90 appears to be a better choice than the UP970 for us LG OLED owners. I already have streaming apps from other devices, so I don't care about them on a BD player too. I'm unsure about the value of the Logitech-Harmony 665 that BB is including, since I've never owned a universal remote, although a friend uses a model with a hub that he can control with his Amazon Echo. Would I find that convenient? I dunno, maybe. I already have voice control with my ATV 4K that I mainly use to pause and resume content. It's not hard to confuse the ATV4K with voice commands, although I don't know how the different Harmony models compare. I think backlit buttons would be a definite plus even if they present a faster battery drain.

I subscribed to this thread to find answers to questions that I don't yet know enough to ask, both before, and after, buying.
post #72 of 230 Old 05-26-2018, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
I'm unsure about the value of the Logitech-Harmony 665 that BB is including, since I've never owned a universal remote, although a friend uses a model with a hub that he can control with his Amazon Echo. Would I find that convenient? I dunno, maybe. I already have voice control with my ATV 4K that I mainly use to pause and resume content. It's not hard to confuse the ATV4K with voice commands, although I don't know how the different Harmony models compare. I think backlit buttons would be a definite plus even if they present a faster battery drain.

I subscribed to this thread to find answers to questions that I don't yet know enough to ask, both before, and after, buying.
I have a Harmony 650 universal remote, which looks almost identical to the 665 model, and it's incredibly useful for controlling my setup. I have it setup to control all 8 components in our main HT setup, and all the OEM remotes are packed away.

I've been using a single, universal remote solution to control my various setups for at least 25 years, and cannot understand why people still live with the "coffee table full of remotes" solution. The current generation of Harmony remotes are easy to setup and use, and are very inexpensive.
post #73 of 230 Old 05-26-2018, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
I have a Harmony 650 universal remote, which looks almost identical to the 665 model, and it's incredibly useful for controlling my setup. I have it setup to control all 8 components in our main HT setup, and all the OEM remotes are packed away.

I've been using a single, universal remote solution to control my various setups for at least 25 years, and cannot understand why people still live with the "coffee table full of remotes" solution. The current generation of Harmony remotes are easy to setup and use, and are very inexpensive.
It looks like I've achieved luddite status on my first day!

There could be a remote in my future........
post #74 of 230 Old 05-26-2018, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The value of the 665 harmony bb gives with the ubk90 is use it or sell it. If you have never used a universal remote this might be a good chance to find out
post #75 of 230 Old 05-26-2018, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
OT software talk removed. Please use the thread in the networking section.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #76 of 230 Old 05-26-2018, 09:45 PM

So I grabbed a UBK90 while on special here in Australia and have plugged it all in. Took a quick look at The Matrix and got the Dolby Vision badge on the B6. So far so good.

I have the HDMI control/Simplink all disabled on my AVR and TV, so others that do use it may have a different experience (given you can't disable it on the player) especially if using with a Harmony, but it's been effortless for me.

Last edited by teachsac; 05-26-2018 at 10:38 PM.
post #77 of 230 Old 05-27-2018, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyfriedel View Post
So I grabbed a UBK90 while on special here in Australia and have plugged it all in. Took a quick look at The Matrix and got the Dolby Vision badge on the B6. So far so good.
Would you mind testing if it’s region free for DVDs (if you have one handy)... I’m eyeing it off on that sale as well.
post #78 of 230 Old 05-27-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon_au View Post
Would you mind testing if it’s region free for DVDs (if you have one handy)... I’m eyeing it off on that sale as well.
I don't have any region one DVDs - just 2 and 4 - but have tried a Region A BR (came from a US import of a 4K title) and the player is locked, at least for BR discs.

post #79 of 230 Old 05-29-2018, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
  • It has 2 HDMI outputs, one dedicated to audio. I only use one however as my Denon S730H handles everything I throw at it so far.
  • The UI is minimal, bare bones but it's snappy and doesn't get in the way.
  • Settings are very minimal as well
  • You have to set the Display Output Frequency to 24Hz, which seems to act as the "auto" setting (I say auto because I played some bluray test clips authored at 30Hz and player switches to 30Hz in that case).
  • I have it hooked to the internet via its ethernet port. There was a firmware update (you have to manually do the check I believe, no auto prompting), which I applied.
  • Compared to the Xbox One S/X this loads discs much quicker.
  • It's a pretty quiet player - I didn't hear any mechanical noise.
  • It has HDMI CEC/Link, which is nice as I only have to turn the UHD player on and the LG OLED and receiver both turn on and switch to the correct inputs - No need for a Harmony remote
  • It seems to stay pretty cool
  • It handled all the Dolby vision UHD discs I threw at it (Saving Private Ryan, Spiderman, The Last Jedi) - Dolby vision was passed through a Denon S730H to an LG OLED B7 with no issues.
  • It passed all bitstream audio undecoded to the receiver as well with no issues.
  • It handled basically all I threw at it without a hitch: DVD+R AVS HD Bluray test patterns, All HDR10 UHD Discs, Old Blu-rays
  • It upscales Blu Rays to 4K and I don't think there's a setting to disable that (Maybe if you change the display output resolution?).
  • That's fine with me - I didn't see any issues in the few ones I threw in.

USB/Youtube Playback
  • I have a USB stick full of demos from http://4kmedia.org/
  • It played them all without any issues, including Dolby Vision content. The UI is similar to the one in the LG OLED TV, just a bare bones file viewer thingy.
  • Youtube
  • I don't have a need for this but I was curious on what it would handle.
  • It seems capable of 4K HDR10 support but it's buffering it's not the best - I got various hiccups in the playback.
  • I tried HLG Youtube videos just for kicks, they are detected as HDR10 at the display side - I guess it's not possible to signal HLG through HDMI? I know the TV supports is as the built in youtube player in the OLED plays HLG videos just fine.

Playback controls
  • It has a nice frame by frame advance mode when you keep pressing the pause button. good for pixel peeping

Overall, I'm quite happy with the player so far.

The only criticism so far is the info about a disc is very bare bones - I could use a "stats for nerds" button.

Last edited by AlbertA; 06-03-2018 at 09:52 AM.
post #80 of 230 Old 06-01-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatJohann View Post
This player does its job. It’s just got a horrible UI so the user experience sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, does it not use WebOS like LG's OLEDs? WebOS looks pretty nice.
post #81 of 230 Old 06-01-2018, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post
So, does it not use WebOS like LG's OLEDs? WebOS looks pretty nice.
No. It uses a very basic version of LG's original Smart TV interface from 6-7 years ago. The manual posted here has some screenshots:

http://www.lg.com/uk/support/support-product/lg-UBK90

Anyways, this player does not seem to solve the elevated DV black level issue with 2016 LG OLEDs. I've watched several DV discs on my C6 and the elevated/changing black levels are as distracting as ever. I really don't think the issue is ever going to be fixed for 2016 OLEDs.
post #82 of 230 Old 06-01-2018, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcv View Post
... this player does not seem to solve the elevated DV black level issue with 2016 LG OLEDs.
This is bad news. Can anyone confirm if there is a similar problem with 2017 LG OLEDs ?
post #83 of 230 Old 06-01-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcv View Post
No. It uses a very basic version of LG's original Smart TV interface from 6-7 years ago. The manual posted here has some screenshots:

http://www.lg.com/uk/support/support-product/lg-UBK90

Anyways, this player does not seem to solve the elevated DV black level issue with 2016 LG OLEDs. I've watched several DV discs on my C6 and the elevated/changing black levels are as distracting as ever. I really don't think the issue is ever going to be fixed for 2016 OLEDs.

the "fix" won't appear on any UHD player

the fix needs to be rolled out to the TV firmware. I have a LED LG 55UH8500 that i'm awaiting the DV fix, before I buy a Dolby Vision-enabled UHD player. I'm using the Samsung 8500 UHD player in the meantime.

The DV issue occurs on 2016/2017 OLED and LED TV's from LG, it has to do with an issue with interacting with the HDMI chip(s) on the TV, as the issue doesn't reside using the internal apps (netflix, vudu, amazon) that play DV movies
post #84 of 230 Old 06-01-2018, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
the "fix" won't appear on any UHD player

the fix needs to be rolled out to the TV firmware. I have a LED LG 55UH8500 that i'm awaiting the DV fix, before I buy a Dolby Vision-enabled UHD player. I'm using the Samsung 8500 UHD player in the meantime.

The DV issue occurs on 2016/2017 OLED and LED TV's from LG, it has to do with an issue with interacting with the HDMI chip(s) on the TV, as the issue doesn't reside using the internal apps (netflix, vudu, amazon) that play DV movies
Yes, I know all of that. I was saying that it doesn't look like LG will be rolling out an update for affected TVs any time soon. They've known about the issue for at least 6 months and have done nothing.
post #85 of 230 Old 06-02-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now having the 90 for a week one of the other issues I have unless there is a setting I’m missing it upscales everything on Netflix to Dolby vision. Weather it is an HDMI, uhd besides Dolby Vision programs . Not happy with that at all and on menus whenever you change to different menu drops out for a few seconds. In addition to the dropouts on YouTube. My other streaming devices do not do this. Including my atv4k roku ultra 2017, or my lgg7p apps.

Running a few more comparisons with the oppo 203 hard to put my finger on the oppo seems to present a bit sharper better picture overall than the ubk90. Still not a bad player and I bought it for a backup player to my oppo but not sure I am going to keep it. I still feel as far as uhd and of course Dolby Vision it seems to be a more stable and dependable player out of the box compared to the Sony!s and lg970 I have had in the past. Except the Sony s1000 a pretty decent solid unit just lacking Dolby Vision

Lg oled65G7P
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #86 of 230 Old 06-03-2018, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well just my luck started having frequent freeze ups with all my discs. No matter what I did or played bd, uhd, dvd etc. had to reboot several times, unplug etc. finally packed up and returned. Nice player when it worked . Guess I just got a bummer. I exchanged it for the Sony x700 now that it has DV hope I have better luck.

Lg oled65G7P
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #87 of 230 Old 06-03-2018, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Picked up a UBK90, in anticipation of Marantz DV firmware for NR1606. Just chiming in to say I've had freezing and image breakup when using transport controls on Last Jedi and Bladerunner2049. Wasn't doing extensive testing, just happened to be scene selecting, pause/ff/rew, when I saw the same issue on both disks.
post #88 of 230 Old 06-03-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That’s why I returned mine didn’t want to fool with it and miss return window

Lg oled65G7P
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #89 of 230 Old 06-03-2018, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertA View Post
  • It has 2 HDMI outputs, one dedicated to audio. I only use one however as my Denon S730H handles everything I throw at it so far.
  • The UI is minimal, bare bones but it's snappy and doesn't get in the way.
  • Settings are very minimal as well
  • You have to set the Display Output Frequency to 24Hz, which seems to act as the "auto" setting (I say auto because I played some bluray test clips authored at 30Hz and player switches to 30Hz in that case).
  • I have it hooked to the internet via its ethernet port. There was a firmware update (you have to manually do the check I believe, no auto prompting), which I applied.
  • Compared to the Xbox One S/X this loads discs much quicker.
  • It's a pretty quiet player - I didn't hear any mechanical noise.
  • It has HDMI CEC/Link, which is nice as I only have to turn the UHD player on and the LG OLED and receiver both turn on and switch to the correct inputs - No need for a Harmony remote
  • It seems to stay pretty cool
  • It handled all the Dolby vision UHD discs I threw at it (Saving Private Ryan, Spiderman, The Last Jedi, Blade Runner 2049) - Dolby vision was passed through a Denon S730H to an LG OLED B7 with no issues.
  • It passed all bitstream audio undecoded to the receiver as well with no issues.
  • It handled basically all I threw at it without a hitch: DVD+R AVS HD Bluray test patterns, All HDR10 UHD Discs, Old Blu-rays
  • It upscales Blu Rays to 4K and I don't think there's a setting to disable that (Maybe if you change the display output resolution?).
  • That's fine with me - I didn't see any issues in the few ones I threw in.

USB/Youtube Playback
  • I have a USB stick full of demos from http://4kmedia.org/
  • It played them all without any issues, including Dolby Vision content. The UI is similar to the one in the LG OLED TV, just a bare bones file viewer thingy.
  • Youtube
  • I don't have a need for this but I was curious on what it would handle.
  • It seems capable of 4K HDR10 support but it's buffering it's not the best - I got various hiccups in the playback.
  • I tried HLG Youtube videos just for kicks, they are detected as HDR10 at the display side - I guess it's not possible to signal HLG through HDMI? I know the TV supports is as the built in youtube player in the OLED plays HLG videos just fine.

Playback controls
  • It has a nice frame by frame advance mode when you keep pressing the pause button. good for pixel peeping

Overall, I'm quite happy with the player so far.

The only criticism so far is the info about a disc is very bare bones - I could use a "stats for nerds" button.
Thanks, nice overview. Could you please confirm Blade Runner 2049 as a DV Disc? Couldnt find confirmation of this.

LG OLED55C6P
Xbox One X/ Sony UHD X700
Denon AVR-S920W - with 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup
Monitor Audio Bronze 6 - Monitor Audio Radius HD
Monitor Audio Bronze BXW10 Sub
post #90 of 230 Old 06-03-2018, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Well just my luck started having frequent freeze ups with all my discs. No matter what I did or played bd, uhd, dvd etc. had to reboot several times, unplug etc. finally packed up and returned. Nice player when it worked . Guess I just got a bummer. I exchanged it for the Sony x700 now that it has DV hope I have better luck.
Thanks for sharing this info. I have not had any freeze issues yet but now I know it may happen.

That is why I bought this player, to test out, as a possible replacement for my 203. I plan on going all digital with movies but wanted a player for the 11 4K disc I already own. So far so good.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 06-03-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page