Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke. - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11122Likes

post #301 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
In the UK most (non mobile) packages do not have any caps. However, even where they do, I'm sure not that long ago people would have said that about 15Mb/s. I'm also sure if Netflix decided to change ISPs would have to adapt.
Well in the US "unlimited data" is an extra $30/month with most carriers, so there's literally no reason to "adapt" and a very definite financial reason not to.
AaronMK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Does oppo make cell phones too ?
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.
post #303 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
you can up the bitrate, but it's never going to be the avg. bitrate what a 100gb 4k blu ray disc can put out. and how does 25 or 30 mbps streaming work for people who have an internet connection of 16-20 mbps like me, do tell, what about data caps on internet, 4k streaming is a data hog. for some people , it's also not as simple as get a new isp or connection because of technical networking limitations at my location, but i can still get a high end blu ray player, get some movies and play them.
Yes, I do get all that. But, again, a few years ago people would have found it hard to believe we would have 4K streaming at 15-25Mbps. In a few years I am sure the same percentage of the population will be able to reliably stream 30Mb/s, but not all of course. And, yes, it will be a shame to not have the headroom in bitrate that Blu-ray offers. I'm just saying I can see how hard it must be to justify developing another new player to launch into that (somewhat imagined, I accept!) future market.

LG OLED65E6V, Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q 2TB, Chromecast Ultra
Home-built Ivy Bridge i5-3570K HTPC, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX1050 GPU with Plex and Jriver Media Centre,
Ruipro 15M Fiber HDMI cable, B&W FPM speakers, Logitech Harmony Ultimate intelligent remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
Does oppo make cell phones too ?
Yes, throughout the world outside North and South America that's their main business.

Oppo Smartphones

Oppo - About Us
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.
post #305 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetrack97 View Post
OK, I was going to buy a 203 in the next few weeks.

So, what’s the next best UHD player out there, or expected near-term?
Denon at $2K
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...ay/dbp4010udci
post #306 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Who would have thought Oppo would ultimately become the new Kuro
It is a shame when something built so good and so much better than the competition just comes to a swift unexpected end. I have 2 OPPO players and had a Pioneer Elite 111FD.
Was the video/TV world better without Pioneer's technology and know how?...nope, not even close
Will the world of video/blu ray players be better without OPPO's quality and super tech support?.....no way

I know we have to move on but it took years b4 OLED finally became available and gave us a TV worth talking about after suffering endlessly with LCD/LED panels.
When will we see a replacement for everything OPPO offered?..probably never.
Bittermidget, dwa247 and BEScott like this.
post #307 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post
Note that as a former Denon DVD/SACD/DVD-A player owner, Denon's transports have long been notoriously problematic, and their firmware update schedule was always spotty at best.

Note also the player you cited dates to 2010 and is Blu-ray only, not 4K.

The next best UHD players are likely the forthcoming Panasonic, should they decide to sell them in the US, or the Sony UBP-X800.
post #308 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 2122
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post
Not an UHD player.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #309 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychatbonneau View Post
Cambridge Audio has player that is very similar in terms of PQ and build. It even shifts subtitles.
isnt it basicly the same internals as the Oppo?
Riot Nrrrd and Kev Greenhalgh like this.
post #310 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Just purchased an UDP-203 due to this news. I've owned several Oppo Digital DVD Players through-out the years.
Bytehoven, xiaNaix and C.C. 95 like this.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #311 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by peschiNL View Post
isnt it basicly the same internals as the Oppo?
Yes

Cheers
post #312 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Sad news.. My refurb 203 came just last Friday... Guess I got in at a great time! My first Oppo and I almost wish I would have picked up a 205 for 2ch Stereo and if not for that meddling WAF, I would have gotten away with it too!

I will not be returning this and I have no worries about future support from Oppo. They've been a standup company and I have no reasons to believe they won't continue to be so. My $.02
C.C. 95 likes this.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #313 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteroMAdMAn View Post
Sad news.. My refurb 203 came just last Friday... Guess I got in at a great time! My first Oppo and I almost wish I would have picked up a 205 for 2ch Stereo and if not for that meddling WAF, I would have gotten away with it too!
Thinking about the 205 for the 2 channel stereo too...
PioBeer likes this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #314 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you have the means... I certainly would!

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #315 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteroMAdMAn View Post

I will not be returning this and I have no worries about future support from Oppo. They've been a standup company and I have no reasons to believe they won't continue to be so. My $.02
Money, (or lack thereof), has a way of being more influential, in business, than does reputations.

Cheers
dwaleke and drh3b like this.
post #316 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Very sad to see Oppo bow out. I own several of their players and a pair of their headphones. I'm in the small percentage of users who selected the Oppo for SACD/DVD-Audio capability, and the ability to actually push the eject button and not have an 8 oz. player slide backwards due to light weight build quality. Also think Oppo has the most comprehensive menu systems that make them easier to integrate into almost any type of system, custom or not. For me, the extra money spent on an Oppo was a value, but it seems that may not be the case for many.

Having said that, I think Oppo closing down reinforces an alarming trend in the industry of physical media being ousted by streaming. Do I like streaming? Sure. Is streaming quality as good as playing a physical disc? Probably, if you have sufficient internet download speeds and a robust in-home setup. But many people "need" a disc player to experience HD or UHD because they do not have internet service that even approaches a chance of streaming at the proper bandwidth. It's not that they don't want it or won't pay for it, the infrastructure is not yet built out into many rural areas. These people are left behind if the disc (and player) becomes obsolete.

Just goes to show that if your target audience is not large or relevant enough, even well-engineered, well respected products with unique features may not be enought to sustain. Really a shame.

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
post #317 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post
Money, (or lack thereof), has a way of being more influential, in business, than does reputations.

Cheers
Oh for sure.. Time will tell!

post #318 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Well, they keep coming out with new SACDs. And not just obscure classical music, but classic rock SACDs as well.
SACD is certainly not dead. I'm a music reviewer and each month I get release lists of dozens of SACD offerings. The market may not be visible to some on this board, but the discs keep coming and people seem to be buying them. They are not a mass market item, but there are enough customers to snap up the latest releases.

mel
kokishin, PioBeer, dwa247 and 3 others like this.
post #319 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Oppo said they will continue to honor the warranty so why do you think there isn't one?
no co. can offer support w/o future revenue

how is the employees being fed?
post #320 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I just got my 203 a couple of weeks ago and after hearing this news thought about returning it since I have a 60 day return window. But since it seems that there is not another player of this quality I have decided to keep it and wait and see if Panasonic offers there new models for sale in the US.

post #321 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I don't know why anybody would sell their 203. I've only had mine for a week and I adore it.

It's been around for over a year. It's had a ton of updates. It's a beautifully refined player. Additional updates may tweak its performance but the player is basically there.

And note that Oppo is ceasing new products. Its not dropping support for existing ones overnight.

Take a deep breath. Is this player worth having right now, as it currently is? Hell yes. Anything else is a bonus.

(I understand its issues with Sony TVs)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
post #322 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 638
I find this disappointing and surprising, considering how my own new 203 changed my media buying habits back *away* from streaming.

After burning hundreds of DVDs and BluRays to a HTPC, only to get annoyed (again) when 4k UHD came out, I started streaming movies from Apple, Amazon, Verizon, etc. I swore I'd never buy another disc, and for about 6 months was happy with the decision to NOT need another shelf for more cases.

Then we built the movie room, put up a nice Faux-K projector, Atmos speakers, and a "real" 9.4.4 EQ solution. After that I got hooked on 4k content with Atmos, and it's largely unavailable as a streaming media. Enter the Oppo, and we love it!

Now it looks like I have to hold out as long as I can with the Oppo we have, hope that someone deploys something capable of using my 100Mb FiOS service, and streaming can once again catch up to physical media?

I blame our son, and the rest of the millennials. They're the ones convincing the tech companies that 1080 on a iPhone is good enough...
gene9p, AaronMK, C.C. 95 and 1 others like this.
post #323 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabetylerr View Post
They charged far too much and now they have paid the price, no doubt sales have been bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
How would charging less have made them more money? This was inevitably going to happen because the market for discs is shrinking, not because the players cost too much.
I dunno. The LG 970 was $179. The Oppo was $559. If the Oppo was anywhere close to the price of the 970 I'd have bought it. I'd have paid $40 more... $75 more... maybe $100 more... but not $390 more.

Maybe they'd have sold more units with a price comparable to the "el cheapo" players... because you'll never convince me the Oppo was worth 3x more. I didn't care about the lack of streaming options... I stream through the TV apps. I just wanted a player that will play my BR and UHD BR discs. The "quality construction" makes no difference to me either. I could give a rats if the LG has a plastic shell... it's sitting on a shelf playing discs.

I agree the market for discs is shrinking... people want streaming convenience. I'll still buy discs as long as they are available though which hopefully will be a long time. I don't expect UHD disc sales to take off like 1080p BR sales back in the day because streaming is more popular now than it ever was then... but hopefully disc sales will be strong enough to keep up somewhat. I've got over 60 UHD discs in my library in 2 months of ownership... trying to do my part.
Nugget likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #324 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytrekker View Post
I don't know why anybody would sell their 203. I've only had mine for a week and I adore it.

It's been around for over a year. It's had a ton of updates. It's a beautifully refined player. Additional updates may tweak its performance but the player is basically there.

And note that Oppo is ceasing new products. Its not dropping support for existing ones overnight.

Take a deep breath. Is this player worth having right now, as it currently is? Hell yes. Anything else is a bonus.

(I understand its issues with Sony TVs)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I've had my 203 since launch and have been extremely pleased with it and certainly have no intention of getting rid of it.

Even in early days I had very few problems. An issue with one movie and a couple times the disc drawer stayed stuck open but that was it.

I have mine connected to a Sony TV right now and the performance is out of this world and there is certainly no issue, let alone "issues" plural, it just won't support Dolby Vision until it passes Dolby Certification. Having maybe 5 discs at best, I don't feel like I am missing anything and would be perfectly fine if they never released Dolby Vision on it, if I were to be perfectly honest.

Watching Blue Planet II on the 203 and the Sony Z is one of the most pleasurable viewing experiences I have ever had.
post #325 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
I dunno. The LG 970 was $179. The Oppo was $559. If the Oppo was anywhere close to the price of the 970 I'd have bought it. I'd have paid $40 more... $75 more... maybe $100 more... but not $390 more.

Maybe they'd have sold more units with a price comparable to the "el cheapo" players... because you'll never convince me the Oppo was worth 3x more. I didn't care about the lack of streaming options... I stream through the TV apps. I just wanted a player that will play my BR and UHD BR discs. The "quality construction" makes no difference to me either. I could give a rats if the LG has a plastic shell... it's sitting on a shelf playing discs.

I agree the market for discs is shrinking... people want streaming convenience. I'll still buy discs as long as they are available though which hopefully will be a long time. I don't expect UHD disc sales to take off like 1080p BR sales back in the day because streaming is more popular now than it ever was then... but hopefully disc sales will be strong enough to keep up somewhat. I've got over 60 UHD discs in my library in 2 months of ownership... trying to do my part.
for 179 ..see what support you get from LG....Pioneer also refused to build "el cheapo tvs"...fast cheap food, compressed bit robbed audio and video, never without headphones or cell phone in their hands....ugh!!!! what a future of garbage are kids "love"
post #326 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Given Oppo’s long standing cozy relationship with the movie studios I have to wonder if they have some insider info regarding the long term viability of physical media. I’m pretty sure Hollywood by now is fed up with piracy in general and would love to move 100% to a distribution model over which they have worry free control. Streaming is Hollywood’s wet dream: the consumer pays for the content every time it is viewed....
AaronMK likes this.

LG 55C6P OLED Display/Apple TV 4K/2019 Roku Ultra
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console
post #327 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterofpain View Post
Not to incite a riot here, as I was both an Apple and Oppo fan 10 years ago, but I'm willing to bet that the majority of today's Oppo users are also Apple fans, which is the only rationale for why Oppos were still selling the past couple of years. People love to pay a 2-3x premium for hefty, shiny, metallic enclosed items that don't perform better than the competition, but are looked at as status symbols. However, nobody outside of AVS has heard of Oppo, so not many folks were going to buy the players. If they only had a mid-range product or reduced their prices to reflect the value that someone was getting TODAY from buying their players.
Yep.

I've got an iPhone 8+ and iPad Pro... but when it came down to needing a new computer I built my own. The value in building it myself was MUCH higher than any iMac that Apple could sell me.

$3000 in hardware will build you a state of the art PC and mine is still that a year later. $3000 on an iMac will get you an iMac with hardware that was somewhat top of the line 18 months ago and still doesn't even remotely compare to my PC in terms of hardware.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #328 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
That's why they are going out of business. We have gone from a consumer that is focused on price rather than quality.
More than true !
turbojohngt likes this.
post #329 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 564
I own three 203s and intend to hold on to them. I do hope that they still do the firmware release to support Sony TVs! If they don't that will be a real bummer for me (since I own two TVs that need it).

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #330 of 3355 Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Sorry but reviews basically say the same thing. What you're paying for is the extra "features" that most people dont care about. Like I mentioned - analog audio outs, support for dead CD formats(SACD & DVD Audio), chassis weight, etc. Sure, it is quite possible that the upscaling algorithms are better in the top players are better but anyone with a good TV wil let the TV scale it anyways so that also becomes a non-factor.

What "picture enhancement" stuff do you speak of? I dont want any picture enhancements...I just want whats on the disc to be sent to my TV and thats it.

The same 4K disc int going to look any different on my player or your Oppo. If you can point me to a legit, double blind test where viewer after viewer keeps picking the Oppo over the lower cost players in a shootout then Ill come here and concede. Otherwise, I think you guys are just hunting for verification/validation that your player looks better. Sure, maybe they are built better - I already said that. Maybe they physically look nicer. Maybe they have a cool user group following or whatever. But when the rubber hits the road, aka the disc gets played they dont do anything more than any other player. Unless someone can prove me wrong!
I had an early 4K Blu-Ray Samsung player. To say the picture and sound were the same as the Oppo 203 is an outright lie . Oppo sounded better and had a better picture . The Samsung pushed red , and the sound was no where as good !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page