Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke. - Page 110 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11040Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3271 of 3294 Old 05-08-2019, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
Thanks so much for that post/recommendation Mbroadus. I am also regretting not picking one up as soon as I heard the news. I figured the only closest match was the cambridge audio CXUHD which now seems out of stock.

I am planning on some upgrades to my set up and really don't want to abandon 3D, DVD-A or SACD (multichannel audio) just yet. Is the Pioneer the best choice these days? I have not looked into a computer set up yet for fear of being overwhelmed and have quite a nice collection of disks that I am dreading the decrease in value of.

Regards,

Do you want a machine that plays 4K blu-ray too? The Sony X1000ES seems like a good choice.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro

Last edited by teachsac; 05-08-2019 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Retail link removed
mbroadus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3272 of 3294 Old 05-08-2019, 08:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: N IL
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Do you want a machine that plays 4K blu-ray too? The Sony X1000ES seems like a good choice.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes,
It would be great to hang on to my old stuff and have the ability to play the latest tech also.
4K would be great. I am going to upgrading to projection some day and it would be nice planning.
Any idea on which would have the best upscaling for all my "old" blu-rays (and possibly dvd's as well)?

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated
Anthem MRX 510
Oppo 103d, Apple TV
Paradigm studio 20 v5, cc 490, 4 monitor surround 3 v7, PSA V3601 & 2 V1811
Dutch-boy is offline  
post #3273 of 3294 Old 05-08-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
Yes,
It would be great to hang on to my old stuff and have the ability to play the latest tech also.
4K would be great. I am going to upgrading to projection some day and it would be nice planning.
Any idea on which would have the best upscaling for all my "old" blu-rays (and possibly dvd's as well)?
The Sony comes in at about 600. The Pioneer LX500 about 1k. A used (you can find them boxed) 203 is about 1K.

I know it's twice the price originally, but if I'm looking at the Pioneer, I'm thinking OPPO even at this late stage.

Otherwise, you already have 80 percent of what you need / want in the 103D, you only need coverage for the UHD portion. An alternative approach, if you have the rack space would be to keep the 103D for the old blurays and DVDs (it does upscale to 4K) and get a lower price UHD player for the latest and greatest.

I have a 203, but still keep my 103D in play for blurays and DVDs. Although I'd say my bedroom BDP-83 is probably the best for DVD upscales.
hernanu is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3274 of 3294 Old 05-08-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Like @hernanu said, the Pioneer and the Oppo are going to be similar price, I would search eBay and see if you can find a used oppo there. I saw a few sell for around $850. Currently, your tv will do the upscaling but I’m not sure if projectors do so. Sony will have a good upscaler if you decide to go that route.

Here’s a review of the pioneer - https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/pioneer-udp-lx500


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
mbroadus is offline  
post #3275 of 3294 Old 05-09-2019, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,170
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
Yes,
It would be great to hang on to my old stuff and have the ability to play the latest tech also.
4K would be great. I am going to upgrading to projection some day and it would be nice planning.
Any idea on which would have the best upscaling for all my "old" blu-rays (and possibly dvd's as well)?
The Sony X1000ES can be bought for 499. You might want to wait for the newer version X1100es. It will do Dolby Vision. Should be out soon, some vendors are already posting the product. I you are using HDMI the Sony X800 does all disc formats the X1000ES does, but it has no analog FR/FL output which may not be important to you. It also has a newer version coming out with Dolby vision The X800M2

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
glangford is offline  
post #3276 of 3294 Old 05-09-2019, 03:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: N IL
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks guys, (hernanu, mbroadus, langford)

Those were intelligent suggestions, just what I was hoping for.
Now I gotta do some thinking.
mbroadus likes this.

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated
Anthem MRX 510
Oppo 103d, Apple TV
Paradigm studio 20 v5, cc 490, 4 monitor surround 3 v7, PSA V3601 & 2 V1811
Dutch-boy is offline  
post #3277 of 3294 Old 05-09-2019, 04:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: N IL
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
The Sony X1000ES can be bought for 499. You might want to wait for the newer version X1100es. It will do Dolby Vision. Should be out soon, some vendors are already posting the product. I you are using HDMI the Sony X800 does all disc formats the X1000ES does, but it has no analog FR/FL output which may not be important to you. It also has a newer version coming out with Dolby vision The X800M2
I just use the HDMI cable. In looking for a alternative player I did come across the Cambridge Audio CUXD, which seems to have the same internals but lacks analog connections as well.
What is the benefit/advantage of analog connections? Particularly if I am going to be using ARC or another room correction software in the future?

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated
Anthem MRX 510
Oppo 103d, Apple TV
Paradigm studio 20 v5, cc 490, 4 monitor surround 3 v7, PSA V3601 & 2 V1811

Last edited by Dutch-boy; 05-09-2019 at 04:35 AM.
Dutch-boy is offline  
post #3278 of 3294 Old 05-09-2019, 06:05 AM
Senior Member
 
xhattan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
I just use the HDMI cable. In looking for a alternative player I did come across the Cambridge Audio CUXD, which seems to have the same internals but lacks analog connections as well.
What is the benefit/advantage of analog connections? Particularly if I am going to be using ARC or another room correction software in the future?
Honestly? None for movies, and very, very, very subtle for music. I use HDMI, coaxial and analog outputs of my 103, and don´t hear any difference. This, with a very good AVR (NAD 758 v3 with state of the art Dirac Live room correction) and excellent speakers (Kef LS50). But I hear the analog section of the 105 (hence, the 205) does a much better job.
hernanu and RagtopFE like this.
xhattan is offline  
post #3279 of 3294 Old 05-09-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,570
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 418
The benefit of analog audio outs is mainly for music, utilizing the audio DACs of the player rather than your AVR or preamp.
Bill Mac likes this.
BillP is offline  
post #3280 of 3294 Old 05-09-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 438
And it's even possible that the DAC in whatever AVR/preamp/external DAC/processor you have may be even better than that in player. In that case, analog outputs would be totally meaningless.
Bill Mac likes this.

JazzGuyy is online now  
post #3281 of 3294 Old 05-09-2019, 03:52 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 26,907
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
The benefit of analog audio outs is mainly for music, utilizing the audio DACs of the player rather than your AVR or preamp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
And it's even possible that the DAC in whatever AVR/preamp/external DAC/processor you have may be even better than that in player. In that case, analog outputs would be totally meaningless.
Both good points. Superior DACs are pricey.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
pepar is offline  
post #3282 of 3294 Old 05-09-2019, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
And it's even possible that the DAC in whatever AVR/preamp/external DAC/processor you have may be even better than that in player. In that case, analog outputs would be totally meaningless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Both good points. Superior DACs are pricey.
With the 203 that could very well be the case if you have a newer mid-line or higher receiver/pre-pro. With the 205 however, that would be hard to beat. The Cambridge CX-UHD is really a high quality transport with all the bells and whstles of the Oppo's, sans the analog outputs.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
StevenC56 is offline  
post #3283 of 3294 Old 05-09-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
With the 203 that could very well be the case if you have a newer mid-line or higher receiver/pre-pro. With the 205 however, that would be hard to beat. The Cambridge CX-UHD is really a high quality transport with all the bells and whstles of the Oppo's, sans the analog outputs.
And different DACs from either the 203 or the 205.

JazzGuyy is online now  
post #3284 of 3294 Old 05-10-2019, 01:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,170
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
I just use the HDMI cable. In looking for a alternative player I did come across the Cambridge Audio CUXD, which seems to have the same internals but lacks analog connections as well.
What is the benefit/advantage of analog connections? Particularly if I am going to be using ARC or another room correction software in the future?
With the anthem probably nothing. Anthem is no slouch in the sound department. The reason I'm always interested in having FR/FL analog is I run HDMI to my Anthem MRX-520, then I run the FR/FL analog to a headphone amp. So if I needed a replacement for my Oppo, I'd have to go with either the x1100es or the Pioneer lx-500. Fortunately I have a replacement already lined up for my Oppo 203, another Oppo 203 in the closet.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
glangford is offline  
post #3285 of 3294 Old 05-10-2019, 02:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northampton UK
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
Honestly? None for movies, and very, very, very subtle for music. I use HDMI, coaxial and analog outputs of my 103, and don´t hear any difference. This, with a very good AVR (NAD 758 v3 with state of the art Dirac Live room correction) and excellent speakers (Kef LS50). But I hear the analog section of the 105 (hence, the 205) does a much better job.

Listening to audio one day and thought it sounded better than usual, I had been listening through the HDMI, further testing showed sounded way better than analogue or digital. Thsi was with my Yamaha BDS3067 Similar to the A1010 which are high grade audio players, comparing well to Oppo.
So just use HDMI now but Pure direct option.

Infocus SP8600 DLP, Denon AVC X8500H, Sony UBP X800 player, Kef 203/1 Main, 202C Center, Kef204ds Surround, HTS 2001 Rear Surround and FP, RP, 2x Kenwood SW-X1 12" Subs fitted DLS DS3004BP plate amps.
Vinyl - Technics SL1210, Reson Reca, Decca London Maroon, Denon 103R, Rotel RQ970BX Modified or EAR834P.
aviaction is offline  
post #3286 of 3294 Old 05-10-2019, 07:20 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,220
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviaction View Post
Listening to audio one day and thought it sounded better than usual, I had been listening through the HDMI, further testing showed sounded way better than analogue or digital. Thsi was with my Yamaha BDS3067 Similar to the A1010 which are high grade audio players, comparing well to Oppo.
So just use HDMI now but Pure direct option.
Um, HDMI is digital, so your statement needs a bit of clarification. Depending on which digital output option you were comparing to and what type of content you were listening to, it's quite possible that HDMI is capable of passing a higher quality signal to your AVR due to bandwidth or licensing restrictions on the other digital output types (for instance, DSD audio can't be sent on the coax/toslink outputs and they also have lower limits on what bitrates they support). Ultimately, the analog versus digital output decision boils down to whether the player or the destination (AVR, pre-pro, external DAC) has the better DAC implementation.
gsr is online now  
post #3287 of 3294 Old 05-15-2019, 06:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: N IL
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
The Sony X1000ES can be bought for 499. You might want to wait for the newer version X1100es. It will do Dolby Vision. Should be out soon, some vendors are already posting the product. I you are using HDMI the Sony X800 does all disc formats the X1000ES does, but it has no analog FR/FL output which may not be important to you. It also has a newer version coming out with Dolby vision The X800M2
glangford,

I just can't bring myself to buy a product no longer in production. I tried, I even put a bid in on a used (pristine 203 and thankfully got out bid. They seem to have come down a bit on ebay, now selling $8-900. I really loved everything about Oppo players, but can't bear the thought of eventually running out of updates (coupled with buying a unit made in 2016-17)

I am studying the sony's you mentioned now, and can find no advantage to the x1100es over the x800M2 (for a mere $299!)

would there be any advantage choosing the oppo 203 vs the sony's ... other than the 800m2 not having analog out?

It looks to me by the speakers you have in your signature you are a critical listener of 2 channel music?

One last thing...does my plan to go to projection with in a year make a difference as far as dolby vision?

Thank you,

Chad

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated
Anthem MRX 510
Oppo 103d, Apple TV
Paradigm studio 20 v5, cc 490, 4 monitor surround 3 v7, PSA V3601 & 2 V1811

Last edited by Dutch-boy; 05-15-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Dutch-boy is offline  
post #3288 of 3294 Old 05-16-2019, 02:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,170
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
glangford,

I just can't bring myself to buy a product no longer in production. I tried, I even put a bid in on a used (pristine 203 and thankfully got out bid. They seem to have come down a bit on ebay, now selling $8-900. I really loved everything about Oppo players, but can't bear the thought of eventually running out of updates (coupled with buying a unit made in 2016-17)

I am studying the sony's you mentioned now, and can find no advantage to the x1100es over the x800M2 (for a mere $299!)

would there be any advantage choosing the oppo 203 vs the sony's ... other than the 800m2 not having analog out?

It looks to me by the speakers you have in your signature you are a critical listener of 2 channel music?

One last thing...does my plan to go to projection with in a year make a difference as far as dolby vision?

Thank you,

Chad
At this point I don't know of no advantage of selecting an Oppo over a Sony. Great customer service is one, but at some point Oppo is going to close the doors on that as well and totally pull out. If I were buying today I wouldn't buy an Oppo. I'd probably buy the X1100ES or even the Pioneer, although the pioneer thread seems full of folks having issues with disc freezing due to layer changes on 100 gb discs.

Yes, I am a critical listener of two channel music, both via speakers and headphones. But I also only have two speakers, no sub (speakers play down to 34 hz - 3db) , no surrounds etc. So I use two speakers for movies as well. But I'm also a listener of headphones, so having two channel analog out on a player is a must for me as well (Analog out to headphone amp). Hence, why I'd go with the Sony X1100ES or Pioneer. Pioneer would be better for music, I don't know about movies, for me either, I'm not a 'critical' watcher of movies, per se, I just enjoy a good movie and don't pay much attention to differences in picture from player to player and don't 'analyze the picture quality. If the movie is good, I can watch the DVD upscaled and still enjoy it a lot.

I'm at a loss for projectors, having an OLED, maybe someone else can answer that one. I do know the Pioneer has a specific setting for projectors, OLED and LED TVs for video output. And Panasonic has usually been the go to player for projector guys. The Panasonic, no DVD-A and SACD.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
glangford is offline  
post #3289 of 3294 Old 05-16-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,446
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 411
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
At this point I don't know of no advantage of selecting an Oppo over a Sony. Great customer service is one, but at some point Oppo is going to close the doors on that as well and totally pull out. If I were buying today I wouldn't buy an Oppo. I'd probably buy the X1100ES or even the Pioneer, although the pioneer thread seems full of folks having issues with disc freezing due to layer changes on 100 gb discs.

Yes, I am a critical listener of two channel music, both via speakers and headphones. But I also only have two speakers, no sub (speakers play down to 34 hz - 3db) , no surrounds etc. So I use two speakers for movies as well. But I'm also a listener of headphones, so having two channel analog out on a player is a must for me as well (Analog out to headphone amp). Hence, why I'd go with the Sony X1100ES or Pioneer. Pioneer would be better for music, I don't know about movies, for me either, I'm not a 'critical' watcher of movies, per se, I just enjoy a good movie and don't pay much attention to differences in picture from player to player and don't 'analyze the picture quality. If the movie is good, I can watch the DVD upscaled and still enjoy it a lot.

I'm at a loss for projectors, having an OLED, maybe someone else can answer that one. I do know the Pioneer has a specific setting for projectors, OLED and LED TVs for video output. And Panasonic has usually been the go to player for projector guys. The Panasonic, no DVD-A and SACD.
For 2 channel I have heard (but can't verify) that dedicated 2 channel CD players are better than universal players.
I've seen recent chatter about Emotiva (now on ERC-3), TASCAM, and an impending Schiit Audio CD transport (needs to connect to an outboard DAC).

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Mike_WI is offline  
post #3290 of 3294 Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,170
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
For 2 channel I have heard (but can't verify) that dedicated 2 channel CD players are better than universal players.
I've seen recent chatter about Emotiva (now on ERC-3), TASCAM, and an impending Schiit Audio CD transport (needs to connect to an outboard DAC).
I've toyed around with that. I missed out on Marantz's closeout of the 8005 which could have been picked up for cheaper than a universal and it played SACD. All the ones you mention do not. I've toyed around with getting the 8006 without SACD playback and sending my 40 or so SACDs off to a ripping service at 5 bucks a disc. Given I use an AVR, Anthem MRX-520, and HDMI a universal player suits me just fine.
Mike_WI likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
glangford is offline  
post #3291 of 3294 Old 05-20-2019, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
 
mickboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle Area In Soggy Washington State
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I've toyed around with that. I missed out on Marantz's closeout of the 8005 which could have been picked up for cheaper than a universal and it played SACD. All the ones you mention do not. I've toyed around with getting the 8006 without SACD playback and sending my 40 or so SACDs off to a ripping service at 5 bucks a disc. Given I use an AVR, Anthem MRX-520, and HDMI a universal player suits me just fine.
The Marantz’s are nice but sound wise nothing special imo. And their Universal Players are really buggy. A really good basic CD Player is the Onkyo C-7030 for around $140 on Amazon. On the other end of the spectrum, if you want a CD player that also plays SACD’S AND is also an internet radio streamer AND is a DAC which accepts coaxial, toslink and usb inputs And has the most Analog sounding DAC chip in the ESS SABRE 9038, the Arcam CDS50, at around $1049, does all that. Yes it’s a Grand, but it would probably be the last CD player you’ll buy.
It’s a bit quirky in operation, but the sound quality makes up for it in spades.
Just my 2 cents worth. As always your mileage may vary.
Mickboy
darrob104 and Mike_WI like this.

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
mickboy is offline  
post #3292 of 3294 Old 05-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Speaking of CD, could be considered as legacy but I love JVC's gorgeous line of DVD players (full list here). Nothing too fancy nor overpriced. I personally owned the XV-SA600 DVD player for many years, also region & code-free (pics from Crutchfield). Plays just about any type of disc except for SACD, and yes DVD-Audio will compensate over that. I retired it back in its box after upgrading to full BD with the BDP-103. Still love the JVC very much, especially with all the dedicated I/O plugs in the rear.

Last edited by 80sGuy; 05-20-2019 at 10:49 AM.
80sGuy is offline  
post #3293 of 3294 Old 05-26-2019, 05:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: N IL
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Where is the best place to have upscaling done?
I am sure it depends on the component specs.
what in particular do you look for on udp, avr, and tv/projector so as not to have competing upscaling capabilities.
Said another way...How do you try not to pay for redundant features (upscalers)? I mean if the one in your player is great, does that change your considerations of AVR?
It seems like the sony and pioneer elite (more so) focus on playing discs well. Not much for bells and whistles and streaming and apps. Which makes them sound perfect for me.
I am guessing if you have Apple TV that is going to be the best quality place to stream from?

I understand I veering off topic here, but when it comes to choosing replacement components I would prefer not to pay for redundant or inferior features contained on another component.

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated
Anthem MRX 510
Oppo 103d, Apple TV
Paradigm studio 20 v5, cc 490, 4 monitor surround 3 v7, PSA V3601 & 2 V1811
Dutch-boy is offline  
post #3294 of 3294 Old 05-26-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,570
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
Where is the best place to have upscaling done?
I am sure it depends on the component specs.
what in particular do you look for on udp, avr, and tv/projector so as not to have competing upscaling capabilities.
Said another way...How do you try not to pay for redundant features (upscalers)? I mean if the one in your player is great, does that change your considerations of AVR?
It seems like the sony and pioneer elite (more so) focus on playing discs well. Not much for bells and whistles and streaming and apps. Which makes them sound perfect for me.
I am guessing if you have Apple TV that is going to be the best quality place to stream from?

I understand I veering off topic here, but when it comes to choosing replacement components I would prefer not to pay for redundant or inferior features contained on another component.
Yes, it depends on the specific components. You're not going to have much luck avoiding what you call redundant upscaling features. Every display (plasmas, LCD, and OLEDs) will upscale to their native resolution if fed material lower than that (they won't upscale if the upscaling has already been done by a BluRay player, for example). And BluRay players all have some upscaling capabilities at least to 1080p, and many to 4K. (You don't say whether you have or are looking for a 4k display or just a 1080p display.) And most players stream (the latest Oppos being the exception). Bottom line is you are not clear what you are looking for. It would help if you state what you have or are looking for. IMO, it's good to have similar features in multiple components so that you can test for yourself which does the better job at upscaling, streaming, etc.
BillP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off