Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke. - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11066Likes

post #361 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by btizzle View Post
Well not on your tiny screen it won't.. HA! burn.
Yeah, you really got me there. Well played. Off to therapy I must go now....

My goodness. Some people are so insecure. Good Luck with that there, big champ.
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Strange coincidence, I hav decided, just minutes before reading that news, to sell my OPPO UDP-203.

Now than I can rip my UHD blurays to my server, it is not needed anymore.

Well, I have just increased my selling pice. I am in no hurry to sell it.
post #363 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:20 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9312 Post(s)
Liked: 5997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post
Say it ain't so, Joe. Though not the saddest news imaginable but quite dispiriting nonetheless. My 203 is my 4th Oppo.

I'd love to see their numbers to see if there is could be the possibility of an investment angel swooping in and buying Oppo's assets with the goal of turning around the company. I wonder if they tried shopping themselves around to one of the high-end AV conglomerates, though that kinda news is difficult to contain for very long. Well, I guess we won't be hearing much of "... can't say that because of Oppo's NDA..." comments unless they're signed in blood into perpetuity. Does their NDA cover the event of an Oppo ownership transferal? Were any of the Beta Testers unaware of Oppo's dire situation? Also, I'd love their take on the whole scenario. I bet Mssrs McClain and Pariseau both got reams of comments and insights.

What a sad day indeed.
Oppo sells over 100 million cell phones each year. The company is doing fine. But it's hard to justify selling their niche A/V devices when their bread and butter is in cell phones.

I picked up a 203 last year but sold it in favor of the Sony X800. I might end up getting a 203 again, later this Spring.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I have a 983H, 83, 103 and now the 203. They are all being used and have been perfect. Always preferred to buy the best and these products have been that. Great company that will be missed.

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
post #365 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
Looks like Oppo will be gradually ceasing production. I hope they keep the firmware coming for my 203
Same here. I got my 203 two weeks ago because my Sony X800, an excellent unit will not, it appears, be getting DV capability. The Oppo is just plain outstanding and I trust that Oppo, a very reputable company will honor its commitment to keep the 203 and 205 up to date with firmware releases. When I got the Oppo, I decided to keep the X800 as a backup. Unless the Oppo needs service, the Sony will probably sit quietly in the AV stand but you never know what can happen so I'm covered.
post #366 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Yeah, you really got me there. Well played. Off to therapy I must go now....

My goodness. Some people are so insecure. Good Luck with that there, big champ.
I know, my joke killed it. I am the champion.
RoadLizard likes this.
post #367 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Well I'm not surprised, as soon as I got 100mbs service from Spectrum and an LG Oled, 4k streaming became a real thing. It made me rethink physical media. Having Atmos in the tv is a big deal for me since so few BD has it. I actually get to make use of my 5.4.4 system.

There are plenty of UHD discs with Atmos tracks and most new releases are coming with an Atmos track. There is also a UHD disc release for most if not all of the movies on Vudu that have Atmos and they will also sound way better on disc.

The audio is where streaming will continue to lack for the foreseeable future. Video quality is still not on the level as it is from disc either but it’s not as big of a gap as it is with Audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nugget, aaronwt, muzz and 5 others like this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #368 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Fiber is growing at a rather fast pace.

I am a fan of physical media because as a AV enthusiast I want the best. Even though my friends think I'm weird..

But four years ago I had a 4mbps uncapped fiber account (not even close to the requirements for a then old BD spesification). For the same price I paid back then it is now 100mbps (pretty much on par with the requirements of a UHD disc). What will it be in the next four years?

It's getting cheaper and faster as time goes by. At a rather fast pace.

If your internet speed starts exceeding the bit-rate requirements of a physical media disc, I guess there is no more need for the physical media disc.

I don't think this is the death-knell just yet. But it's sure approaching.

Last edited by kabraal; 04-03-2018 at 10:59 AM.
post #369 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
But isn’t that like saying you’d be happy to go to a local theater that shows movies slightly out of focus and hasn’t replaced projector bulbs in years and whose subwoofers broke in 2016 because you know you have the option to go to a good theater to see it again if you like it?
No, not really. More like going to a mid-range restaurant and having a decent meal, knowing you can always go to the high end bistro downtown and have a better version should you so desire.

I think the sequence is good , better, best; not horrific, barely tolerable, great.
post #370 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
...this new OPPO would only be used for the (very) infrequent SACD listening session.
If you have access to one of the older BDP-10x players you might be interested to know that you can use them to back-up your 'store-bought' SACD's
stef2 likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #371 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
There are plenty of UHD discs with Atmos tracks and most new releases are coming with an Atmos track. There is also a UHD disc release for most if not all of the movies on Vudu that have Atmos and they will also sound way better on disc.

The audio is where streaming will continue to lack for the foreseeable future. Video quality is still not on the level as it is from disc either but it’s not as big of a gap as it is with Audio.

You can do "semi ATMOS" with Dolby + streaming at this time. But to do real "ATMOS" you have to stream uncompressed Dolby Master Audio and that would require huge bandwidth. Do not see it happening in the near future.

Cheers
post #372 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Blu-ray Discs and 4K Blu-rays Discs are far superior in sound quality and picture quality , but convenience of streaming is winning out in a big way. It worries me that we will only have the choice of streaming movies soon.
I just left my friend's home. Everything in his home is automated. His movies are on a hard drive based computer system, or streaming online.
He can afford to have discs, but his solution allows him to play the same movie from a variety of sources and in many rooms. The convenience has overwhelm his desire for the best playback format.
post #373 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3821
This is sad news. I highly doubt that 1 year from now that there will be any more FW updates.
rlb, DaveC56, Riot Nrrrd and 1 others like this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #374 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I am not looking forward to the day physical media dies. I'm enjoying not worrying about going over my data allowance each month or watching a movie even when the cable/internet is out. I'd rather have the disc in hand instead of some nebulous copy in the "cloud." Guess I'm just old fashioned.
eljaycanuck, AaronMK and Matt2026 like this.

post #375 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kuester View Post
Bummer news. My BDP-83 is still in the rack getting use. Anyone else?
You may want to get the 203 or actually the 101 ci, which has the most reliable drive of them all. My Nuforce 83 has been to the repair shop to swop out the power section, the drive and I won't do it again if it goes kaput. The 203/205 drives were meant to be reliable, but they weren't as good as the older 105/103 and definitely not as reliable as the 101ci.
post #376 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked: 2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabraal View Post
Fiber is growing at a rather fast pace.

I am a fan of physical media because as a AV enthusiast I want the best. Even though my friends think I'm weird..

But four years ago I had a 4mbps uncapped fiber account (not even close to the requirements for a then old BD spesification). For the same price I paid back then it is now 100mbps (pretty much on par with the requirements of a UHD disc).

It's getting cheaper and faster as time goes by. At a rather fast pace.

If your internet speed starts exceeding the bit-rate requirements of a physical media disc, I guess there is no more need for the physical media disc.

I don't think this is the death-knell just yet. But it's sure approaching.
It isn't only just the throughput/speed of the connections that is the issue, it is also the monthly data caps.

I can get up to 2Gbps through Comcast in my area but unless I want to pay an extra $50 for unlimited, I can go through 1TB rather fast. This also impacts a lot of Comcast users all over the US.

Now, I do stream quite a fair bit of 4K content but I also buy all my games digitally since there is zero difference in quality for them and there are multiple PCs and consoles that grab the same copy of the game, so I usually average around 2TB a month.

Fortunately I have another provider option and I get 1Gbps but don't pay extra for unlimited but there is a soft cap at 2TB where they slow me to 250mbps. (I know, first world problems but we really need to get rid of caps all together before I am happy with only streaming and also we need to up the bitrate of streaming more.)
muzz and kabraal like this.
post #377 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Check your drive.. if it works well, it's a solid player. That's the component with the most issues in their 4k players.
Hi Pete, I just put in an order for the 203 this morning after seeing this news. I currently own a 83 and a 103. When I receive the 203, what sort of test should I run to show if the "drive" has issues?

You also mentioned Oppo has been dealing with a lot of returns on the UHD players - are the vast majority due to drive issues?

Thanks.
post #378 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post
I am not looking forward to the day physical media dies. I'm enjoying not worrying about going over my data allowance each month or watching a movie even when the cable/internet is out. I'd rather have the disc in hand instead of some nebulous copy in the "cloud." Guess I'm just old fashioned.

But what we’re saying and doing is that you don’t need a dedicated player backing up your uhd and sdr blus and a streamer is sufficient. I haven’t put a disc in my Oppo in over a year.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #379 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Stupid question.... Where does one find Oppo players in Canada? It seems like I have to import them and that's always a PITA...
Solutions AV in Markham, ON. They are the Canadian distributor. I have dealt with them, their service is good. They usually have inventory.
Tornado Red likes this.

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
post #380 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
It isn't only just the throughput/speed of the connections that is the issue, it is also the monthly data caps.

I can get up to 2Gbps through Comcast in my area but unless I want to pay an extra $50 for unlimited, I can go through 1TB rather fast. This also impacts a lot of Comcast users all over the US.

Now, I do stream quite a fair bit of 4K content but I also buy all my games digitally since there is zero difference in quality for them and there are multiple PCs and consoles that grab the same copy of the game, so I usually average around 2TB a month.

Fortunately I have another provider option and I get 1Gbps but don't pay extra for unlimited but there is a soft cap at 2TB where they slow me to 250mbps. (I know, first world problems but we really need to get rid of caps all together before I am happy with only streaming and also we need to up the bitrate of streaming more.)
Yeah caps remain an issue I guess.

All I'm saying is that 4 years ago I didn't for a second believe that streaming will kill physical media. Not even close.

But now I'm sitting here very convinced that this will happen in the short to medium term.
post #381 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac.to View Post
Hi Pete, I just put in an order for the 203 this morning after seeing this news. I currently own a 83 and a 103. When I receive the 203, what sort of test should I run to show if the "drive" has issues?

You also mentioned Oppo has been dealing with a lot of returns on the UHD players - are the vast majority due to drive issues?

Thanks.
The drive is the main moving part in the unit. You just have to keep using it. The 83 had the worst drive unit.. notorious for breaking down. The components of the power section were also rather fragile.
I once forgot that my 105 was on pause for three whole days, no issues. Likewise, I had a 101ci running constantly for almost two days. The 203 is supposed to be using the same drive, but somehow the QC may be different.
I had a very good 203. Used it for two years without issues before I sold it. So it's sometimes about luck..
Didn't lose more than $50 on my 203.
Of course the R&D is the other big cost. Lots of man hours are needed to come up with each firmware. Remember that silent period from Jan until mid Feb? Which was attributed to the Chinese New Year?

BBK, the parent company decided in 2017 to shutter this arm of their business. They saw the writing on the wall but it was kept quiet..
Paul.R.S likes this.
post #382 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
But what we’re saying and doing is that you don’t need a dedicated player backing up your uhd and sdr blus and a streamer is sufficient. I haven’t put a disc in my Oppo in over a year.
I get what you're saying. I do the same myself. I rip my discs, store them on my NAS as a 1:1 MKV, then stream them to my Shields around the house. I also use Plex to access my media when not at home. My point is when physical media dies there won't be anything left to rip and store on my NAS. Everything will be in the cloud and out of my control.
AaronMK likes this.

post #383 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3821
Hopefully I will be content for years. I have the 203 for my UHD movies, and the 103D for my blu ray movies.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #384 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 239
With the specter of HDMI 2.1 looming on the horizon I wonder how many realize the part of the spec calls for a compression scheme to be implemented as it sends data down the pike which is how the increased bandwidth is achieved. This lossy compression scheme is hyped as virtually lossless. (Emphasis on virtually.) Obviously, while there is no need for this comp/decomp process on UHD as those users of Certified HDMI cables can attest, it is doubtful that the Einsteins at HDMI would ever implement a standard to distinguish ultra-high bandwidth signals needing additional processing from those that don’t require it. So, if you’re like me, an adherent to the “less-is-more” philosophy, these current Oppos may be the last players that feed UHD material to the display without needless processing. (Those needing very long runs of HDMI cable may beg to differ.)

Don't you just wish HDMI would crawl off to some darkened corner and die a sad, lonely death?
post #385 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:29 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
The drive is the main moving part in the unit. You just have to keep using it. The 83 had the worst drive unit.. notorious for breaking down. The components of the power section were also rather fragile.
I once forgot that my 105 was on pause for three whole days, no issues. Likewise, I had a 101ci running constantly for almost two days. The 203 is supposed to be using the same drive, but somehow the QC may be different.
The 203 plays UHD media, the 101CI doesn't. What on earth makes you think it's the same drive? Even if the motor mechanism for spinning the discs might be the same, it's definitely a different optical drive as the laser setup has to be very different. The tolerances for reading UHD media are substantially tighter and that's most likely one of the main issues with some 20x players having issues reading some discs.
muzz, Operon and Matt2026 like this.
post #386 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
The Sammy does push red out of the box. Setting the players picture mode to User and zeroing everything out mitigates that problem. Sound? Nah - my player is set to passthrough which means it sends the bits to the AVR and then its out of the chain. Sure, some users here have 3 million dollar speakers or whatever. Great. But that doesnt have anything to with the disc player. Perhaps the Oppo supports more audio codes or whatever but lossless passthrough is lossless passthrough. Thats it.

Maybe I place too much faith in certain reviewers but on more than one occasion the Oppo reviews come back as saying that if you are not going to use the players extra features, like analog outs, SACD support, etc then you are gaining nothing in tangible PQ benefits over any other competent player. I guess it doesnt matter. Its over anyways.

We'll just have to "slum" it with the offerings from Sony, Samsung and LG. It wont affect my enjoyment of watching stuff on my great OLED in glorious 4K and 3D. So, whatever!

Well yeah, if you are just going to run audio out on your HDMI to your $400 receiver and let it do the surround sound processing and your display do the scaling. This product really isn't for you. But then again you already knew that and just wanted to come in here to hear yourself talk I assume?

Oppos have pretty consistently ranked tops in PQ going back years now. I do agree that others can match it in PQ and if all you want is something for BD/UHD playback and streaming apps, you are better off saving a few bucks and just getting a Sony, Panny or whatever is on sale at the time. However focusing on the 1 area that gives your argument a touch of credence sounds a bit silly. PQ is just a small portion of what Oppo does right with these players.
video_analysis likes this.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #387 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post

Heaven forbid - - slowed down to 250 mbps? That must be a crawl compared to what you are used to. Gee, anyone remember "baud rates" and watching the letters slowly being typed across your terminal?

I understand the issue of data caps but what's the fastest anybody streams content these days? 25 mbps? Less?

No matter what happens to OPPO, I've been very glad to have experienced their fine product and service. I can still remember the day I received my OPPO 103 with the components elegantly packaged within a very neat box. One look at the thick manual and the build quality and you felt special. As I neatly placed my OPPO on my rack, I knew that I had one of the best Bluray players around. And then, the performance was "lights out." Still is!
eljaycanuck likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #388 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Very very sad to hear. I LOVE my 203.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #389 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Was the ever a 3rd party DBT A vs B for Oppo UHDBR vs manuf a, b, c, Xbox1x, etc?

If so I’d like to see that.

post #390 of 3331 Old 04-03-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by btizzle View Post
I know, my joke killed it. I am the champion.
Well, the size of the screen that you are watching on (and the distance you are from it) really does make a difference on how the video looks. Of course, ones eye sight also makes a difference. The older I get the more I am made aware of that!

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page