Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke. - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11093Likes

post #451 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
But what we’re saying and doing is that you don’t need a dedicated player backing up your uhd and sdr blus and a streamer is sufficient. I haven’t put a disc in my Oppo in over a year.
I'm surprised at the various comments like this one. Streaming is certainly convenient. Personally, I absolutely love Plex and spend a great deal of time meticulously building and maintaining my film library. Plex is what we watch most of the time and it's 99% reliable. But 99% reliable is not 100% reliable. I'm sure I'm not the only person to invite guests over to watch a streaming film only to hit some random problem with AV sync or server connectivity or audio passthrough or whatever. Since then, if I'm actually inviting friends to my home then the shiny disc goes into my Oppo 203 even though I may have a UHD rip as well. I may not use my Oppo very often, but it's what I rely on when it's most important to get playback right.

Very sad to see Oppo go.
Operon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Darn no more analogue outputs :-( I actually wanted to eventually get oppo a few years from now :-O !
post #453 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4299 Post(s)
Liked: 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
SACD isn't dead, it's just very niche.
And you can purchase multichannel lossless audio via the net. I guess this will become exclusive to HTCPs and the occasional digital media player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Im kind of surprised to be honest... their players are really popular among enthusiasts and are the top rated out there. Has to be more to this story.

In any case I just purchased the 203, my first Oppo, and now the last

CG Lighting Artist for Walt Disney Animation Studios
Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH AVR || Klipsch RF-7ii, RC-64ii, RS-62ii || SVS SB13U || Samsung UN55C8000 3DTV || XBone || X360e || N Wii U || N Switch || ATV 4k || Oppo 203
post #455 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I'm genuinely surprised by many of the comments here. This news represents one less choice for us as consumers, and that's unfortunate under any lens. Oppo's products may not have been for you, specifically, or even for the masses, but they were a solid choice for those who had the need, or even just the want. It really is a bummer to see them go, regardless of the reasons, whatever they may be.
muzz, CFoote, Crazytrekker and 6 others like this.
post #456 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
I'm surprised at the various comments like this one. Streaming is certainly convenient. Personally, I absolutely love Plex and spend a great deal of time meticulously building and maintaining my film library. Plex is what we watch most of the time and it's 99% reliable. But 99% reliable is not 100% reliable. I'm sure I'm not the only person to invite guests over to watch a streaming film only to hit some random problem with AV sync or server connectivity or audio passthrough or whatever. Since then, if I'm actually inviting friends to my home then the shiny disc goes into my Oppo 203 even though I may have a UHD rip as well. I may not use my Oppo very often, but it's what I rely on when it's most important to get playback right.

Very sad to see Oppo go.
100% reliable? Discs sometimes won’t play correctly. Not specific to Oppo, but other players too due to dodgy authoring that require some firmware patch.

If anything, i find both the 103 and 203 make very reliable local media streamers over SMB/DLNA/NTFS.

Anyway, disc media is dying. No surprise that Oppo no longer see a future and a business model that can work for them.
post #457 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
I dunno. The LG 970 was $179. The Oppo was $559. If the Oppo was anywhere close to the price of the 970 I'd have bought it. I'd have paid $40 more... $75 more... maybe $100 more... but not $390 more.

Maybe they'd have sold more units with a price comparable to the "el cheapo" players... because you'll never convince me the Oppo was worth 3x more. I didn't care about the lack of streaming options... I stream through the TV apps. I just wanted a player that will play my BR and UHD BR discs. The "quality construction" makes no difference to me either. I could give a rats if the LG has a plastic shell... it's sitting on a shelf playing discs.

I agree the market for discs is shrinking... people want streaming convenience. I'll still buy discs as long as they are available though which hopefully will be a long time. I don't expect UHD disc sales to take off like 1080p BR sales back in the day because streaming is more popular now than it ever was then... but hopefully disc sales will be strong enough to keep up somewhat. I've got over 60 UHD discs in my library in 2 months of ownership... trying to do my part.
The Oppos are also built for music enthusiasts. You (were) getting quite the package for the extra $390 including firmware updates for years and a resell value that would make you gawk at ever thinking twice about spending the extra dough.
post #458 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Yes and no, I'm sure you already have at least one player from them, and they still selling them as we speak. I just bought one from Audio Advisor, no tax, free shipping, which will bring it to my third Oppo in my stable. I think I'll be set for years and years between them to play those discs.

Sure, still have my original 83 and now also a 203. Sold a 105 at 75% of it's purchase price!

I'm usually upgrading every four years or so to take advantage of whatever latest sound or video gizmo there is. Sadly my next won't be an Oppo. I do find myself becoming concerned that years down the road I won't be able to play back my hi-res collection.
Black adder likes this.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #459 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked: 2028
oppo did alot right...but in no way in 2 or 3 years will it be missed
Zorba922 likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #460 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Here is my thought and many are not going to like it. As an AV enthusiasts we are really to blame for oppo and there demise. We all want the best and all of the options but do not want to pay for it. Think about pioneer plasma, great tvs and owned one from each generation. The Pioneer elites were built like tanks and I never had an issue with any of mine. Pioneer understood what a great tv is. I am sorry but a lg oled which I own is crap in terms of craftsmanship, the parts used are not the best used. Pioneer plasma tv's had special metals used on them and reflected the price.
Which OLED do you own again? The Signature series is in no way crap when it relates to materials used nor craftmanship.
post #461 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 3580
as far as why OPPO made this decision, consider the additional tariffs they will have to pay for the last shipment due in June....

perhaps this was the final straw
joerod, lyris and rdeyoung like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #462 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
100% reliable? Discs sometimes won’t play correctly. Not specific to Oppo, but other players too due to dodgy authoring that require some firmware patch.
Sure, nothing is 100% and I don't have a huge sample size from which to draw conclusions. But I've yet to encounter a single problem with my Oppo's disc playback. It's always performed exactly as I expected. It's been 100% for me.

Quote:
If anything, i find both the 103 and 203 make very reliable local media streamers over SMB/DLNA/NTFS.
I've only explored that aspect of my 203 a little bit. It seemed OK, but the file-based interface is rudimentary - it's certainly not as user-friendly as Plex/Vudu/Netflix/etc.

Quote:
Anyway, disc media is dying. No surprise that Oppo no longer see a future and a business model that can work for them.
I agree that's the heart of it. Technology moves on.
post #463 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd View Post
This might be of interest.

Found this link to the specs for Panasonic's upcoming DP-UB820EB, which is one step below the DP-UB9000 (and it does Dolby Vision™). Seems to be much like the UDP-203 in scope. Will be curious to see what it prices out at.
But will it be available in the US?
Riot Nrrrd likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E, Panasonic TC-P58VT25, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP-205, Counterpoint SA-3000, Linn Sondek LP12, Ekos, Aragon 4004 Mk II, Acoustat 3, beer
post #464 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Same feelings here. Not to mention, I do thoroughly enjoy the extras discs, that, to my knowledge are not available for streaming. Maybe they are? Can you stream with commentary? Maybe you can? I know I can get when I'm buying the discs.
Extras and commentaries are important to me as well. Vudu does include extras along with a movie - I haven't thoroughly examined it, but they appear to include all the extras on the standard version of most discs. Not sure about commentary there. Filmstruck definitely includes commentary on some titles along with some extras, but generally not everything that would come on an actual Criterion Collection bluray release. And Filmstruck PQ is hit-or-miss in my experience.

I will continue ripping my physical blurays, uhd's, and dvd's to my Plex server, where I can keep every extra and commentary attached to a film as well as ensure the film itself is preserved in the best quality available. Technology may move on to streaming over BD's/UHD's soon, but the vast majority of the most important films already have decent bluray releases out there somewhere and would probably never see a higher quality release anyway.
post #465 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post
Agree entirely. I think HDR10+ ultimately will be the solution. Sometimes committees just have to be told "NO".
Why, because it has Samsung's backing and is free of a piddly royalty fee to DV? I'm just curious as to why you see that as the future. HDR10 is only (nearly) optimized for folks with displays at 2000 nits (or with active HDR processing) whereas DV is already fully adaptable to the original TVs on which DV appeared.
Operon likes this.
post #466 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dunn View Post
When we all have 1Gbps Internet connections in our homes that don't get throttled by ISPs or cost a bloody fortune.
The loss of Net Neutrality makes that less likely.

I know the mainstream consumer doesn't care about ultimate audiovisual quality, but they won't stream 4K movies successfully on a 10Mbps up/down connection that de-prioritizes traffic from Netflix or YouTube.
Comcast can’t wait.

Right now I’m paying $105 per month... that’s $40 for the Performance Pro package.. $15 for the Blast upgrade to 250mb down/10mb up and another $50 for unlimited data because Comcast decided in July that 1TB a month is more than 99% of households will use so they added the fee for unlimited... or pay $50 for every 10GB overage.

I’ve got a PC... 3 tablets... a laptop and 2 TVs spread across 5 people with phones who love Netflix and YouTube... and I rarely stream UHD. I’ve got an Apple TV 4K as well as a 60 title UHD disc library.

1TB a month? LOL Now long will that last a dedicated 4K streamer? A week?
muzz, Operon and AaronMK like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #467 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Pioneer makes best display and closes up shop,Oppo makes best players and goes away. What are we left with?
Panasonic r the best players that's what ur left with ..Panny r amazing
post #468 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Why is everyone so down Panasonic makes the best player next to oppo I bought my ubd900 last year and it's a beauty
post #469 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Oh - focusing on PQ is exactly what we should be doing! The UHD players main task is to play discs and produce PQ. Its priority #1 . So yeah, because pretty much ANY player out there displays a terrific UHD image on a good TV certainly does give it a lot of "credence". Me and many others have already correctly stated that all of that other "fluff" that these Oppos do is not applicable to a huge number of people. Those are the facts. SACD support? Analog audio outs? DVD audio support? Like tits on a boar hog for most people. Useless. IMO, Oppo should have ditched some of that and made a solid $299 player. Too late now.
This is both an audio and video forum, remember? Yes, this subforum is limited to discussion of Blu-ray players, but the Oppo is a jack of many trades. In your attempt to diminish the feature set, you forgot about build quality, continued firmware updates through the years, and customer service (resale value is a side benefit; I know, you don't give an eff).

Quote:
Dolby Vision support is "useful" but HDR gets the job done and quite frankly its silly for peope to have to screw around with multiple HDR formats. Its just dumb. Pick one and lets roll with it. What other "must-have" features are there? Ill answer - none. Its ALL about the PQ and the ability to play discs that the owner inserts into the tray. For this, there are plenty of players out there handle this perfectly well.
HDR10 is half-baked especially for us with our 750-nit OLEDs, and they will never support the add-on features that HDR10+ is promising. Dolby Vision is adapted to the capability of one's TV, which points back to your previous concern about PQ, which I assume you were being truthful about?

Quote:
So, yeah - Oppos strengths did become less relevant. And, supporting micro-niche 2-channel CD formats is great but it cant help sustain the product line. Anyone into high end 2-channle audio would be using a specific CD player or a discrete DAC all that stuff.
I am not currently sporting an analog audio setup, but lossless digital audio at higher sampling rates and across 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound (and there are hundreds of albums available in SACD/DVD-A, with some digital audio stores also selling wares in digital format) is a revelation. Of course, those with surround sound audio at home are a part of a niche themselves.

I don't know, you almost seem HAPPY that there's not a high-end all-in-one box available anymore (and you keep belittling the feature set as worthless), and it's rubbing me the wrong way. I'd better go cool down.

Last edited by video_analysis; 04-03-2018 at 04:53 PM.
post #470 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
It isn't only just the throughput/speed of the connections that is the issue, it is also the monthly data caps.

I can get up to 2Gbps through Comcast in my area but unless I want to pay an extra $50 for unlimited, I can go through 1TB rather fast. This also impacts a lot of Comcast users all over the US.

Now, I do stream quite a fair bit of 4K content but I also buy all my games digitally since there is zero difference in quality for them and there are multiple PCs and consoles that grab the same copy of the game, so I usually average around 2TB a month.

Fortunately I have another provider option and I get 1Gbps but don't pay extra for unlimited but there is a soft cap at 2TB where they slow me to 250mbps. (I know, first world problems but we really need to get rid of caps all together before I am happy with only streaming and also we need to up the bitrate of streaming more.)
You also may have to worry about the new net neutrality laws that were just passed as well as paying more per month.
post #471 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUperEd007 View Post
Why is everyone so down Panasonic makes the best player next to oppo I bought my ubd900 last year and it's a beauty

Because Oppo players are more than just Blu-ray players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mbroadus and Operon like this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease

Last edited by T-smith; 04-03-2018 at 05:25 PM.
post #472 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
...you almost seem HAPPY that there's not a high-end all-in-one box available anymore (and you keep belittling the feature set as worthless), and it's rubbing me the wrong way.
This is the point I was getting at earlier. A few of the users in this thread almost seem glad that there's one less option for we AV enthusiasts to choose from. I find that not only odd, but kind of disconcerting. As much as a sign of the times as this news may be, it's certainly not cause for celebration.
post #473 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It may not be the smartest thing to do, but I just placed an order for a new UDP-203 for a TV I'm not even planning to buy for another 6-12 months. I love my existing BDP-80 and BDP-103D and I want a OPPO UHD player to go along with the OLED TV that I eventually plan to buy. I'm not overly concerned with a lack of support in the future, as long as the Dolby Vision update does come as promised. Worst case scenario, I have a backup for the 103D on my other TV if anything ever happens to it.
aaronwt and C.C. 95 like this.
post #474 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 05:24 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9327 Post(s)
Liked: 6008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dunn View Post
When we all have 1Gbps Internet connections in our homes that don't get throttled by ISPs or cost a bloody fortune.
The loss of Net Neutrality makes that less likely.
I already have that today. I pay only $45 a month(as part of my triple play) to Verizon for my FiOS GigE Internet.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #475 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 321
I for one am holding on to my horse and carriage. Who knows when they’re going to shut off the gasoline.

My 103 is the only gear purchase I’ve ever regretted. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it but it’s a $500 BD player. I could have bought a $100 player instead and spent the rest on movies, and my AV experience would have been the exact same. Sure, it’s nice and hefty but I don’t lift it up and enjoy the chassis, ever.

Not including streaming on the 203 was probably just one nail out of many in the coffin but a nail nevertheless. I’m not going to pay $500 for something that has less of what I want than something that costs hundreds less has. It’s common sense. You rarely succeed by going backwards.

Ultimately they made a very nice product that nobody - at a scale that matters - wants. RIP.

Equipment and collection:
Spoiler!
post #476 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
Ultimately they made a very nice product that nobody - at a scale that matters - wants. RIP.

There's a lot of us nobodies on this group and others like it on FB that are mourning the end of Oppo as other than a support company for their current product line , and what it may portend for real media (vs. streaming) and possibly the fate of 3D audio in the future. Losing an innovative company like Oppo for future R&D and product development is NOT good for the A/V industry, even if you don't like their player. Just my $0.02.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #477 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Such a Deja Vu... Does anybody remember the V Bravo D2 DVD player? Well I do remember
I remember! Oh, I remember the D2. Still have it in my rack.

RustyBones
post #478 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
Sure, still have my original 83 and now also a 203. Sold a 105 at 75% of it's purchase price!

I'm usually upgrading every four years or so to take advantage of whatever latest sound or video gizmo there is. Sadly my next won't be an Oppo. I do find myself becoming concerned that years down the road I won't be able to play back my hi-res collection.
Of course you can, you need to rip them now and just duplicate them on different drives for back and that's it.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #479 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Shocking!

Bought my 203 few weeks back. My first Oppo and seems to be my last.
post #480 of 3344 Old 04-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
There's a lot of us nobodies on this group and others like it on FB that are mourning the end of Oppo as other than a support company for their current product line , and what it may portend for real media (vs. streaming) and possibly the fate of 3D audio in the future. Losing an innovative company like Oppo for future R&D and product development is NOT good for the A/V industry, even if you don't like their player. Just my $0.02.
“At a scale that matters.” They’re not a charity.

Not including streaming on the 203 was just dumb. It’s 2018.
Ricky and Kev Greenhalgh like this.

Equipment and collection:
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page