Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke. - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11038Likes

post #661 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 01:49 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5733 Post(s)
Liked: 8177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Didn't Oppo finally block any region free modifications on their players? Or is that bad information?
UHD (4K) discs are already Region Free -- no Region locking for those.

For SD-DVD discs, folks have been using the free "SuperDisc" tool -- you burn an easily found file onto a disc, put the disc in the player, and a few seconds later the disc pops back out again and you are done -- a one time step. (Even though OPPO can't SHIP the players to be SD-DVD Region Free in the US, a solution like this was necessary because there are parts of the world where players have to be sold as Region Free for SD-DVD.)

So the only issue is regular (not 4K) Blu-ray where lots of discs are sold with Region locking. For that you need a 3rd party hardware mod for the player. This can be a simple piece attached inside the player, or an even simpler piece you plug into a USB socket. These are available and work. See Bill's FAQ for the 203. Those also provide SD-DVD Region Free so you don't also need to run the SuperDisc.

-----------------

What you are referring to is that some folks have tried selling hacked versions (*OLDER* versions) of the player's firmware to accomplish Blu-ray Region Free and some other tricks.

OPPO has tried to make it more difficult for folks to do that as it becomes a real support headache -- for example because folks are stuck on that older version of the firmware.
--Bob
Keenan likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
I wouldn't say that. $550 is a lot for a 4K Player[/url]
Well, the 203/205 are not just 4K players. I just them more as SACD player, video and music streamer AND as a pre-pro and connect them directly to tube amps for the main stereo channels, solid state amps for other channels. The 205 in addition, can double as DAC. You would not find a $200 player even remotely can do all these. In fact, these days just to get a half decent SACD player from other brands will cost more than the 203. I used to own four generations of Sony BD/SACD players, but they just get progressively worse in each generation. It is really too bad Oppo is getting out of this business.
Dire_Straits likes this.
post #663 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
You might want to look that up since you don't seem to know what it actually means.
I sure do.

But enlighten me. Since you seem to believe it's directly related to a dollar amount, could you point me to solid documentation for the ranges?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well...this really sucks.

Not only was OPPO a company that made great products that they stood behind...their units were reliable. Even thought it cost significantly more money than your average player, I just replaced a dead Samsung BR player with an OPPO.

Now I pray that it will work for many moons or else it will have been a waste of money: money that's not as readily available for my hobbies as it was in my younger, earning years.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #665 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked: 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2377 View Post
I hear ya in theory, but would it be a horrible idea to buy a 203 now and use it (even though I don't need to) and still be using it 2 years from now when I have my theater? I'm guessing most people wouldn't think it bad to be using an Oppo 203 two years from now, so that's essentially the point, I just don't need to use it now so it would stay boxed.
I'm not really sure which scenario you're asking about then? Obviously nothing at all wrong with the former scenario and I still stand by my not a chance in Hell would I ever recommend doing the latter.

I've seen way too many horror story posts of long boxed up TV's and other electronics to take that chance of not unboxing and hooking up the item in question regardless of the brand. I have my own personal horror story with a name brand ID mattress as my own cautionary tale for not leaving anything new in a sealed box long term. Bottom line if you get one you should at least unbox it check for shipping damage and hook it up for a test drive before storing it long term. That's all I'm saying. RIP OPPO UHD.
muzz and dnoonie like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 04-04-2018 at 02:25 PM.
post #666 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 1999
Only hardware region modification discussion is allowed. Discussion of firmware that modifies the manufacturer firmware is not.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #667 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
They should of went back to their roots selling cheap priced, overperforming products for the money.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 PSA S3600I'S, and 2 UM18-22/iNUKE6000DSP DIY subs.
post #668 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2377 View Post
I hear ya in theory
I'm not talking theory. I'm talking from my own personal experience and from other posters anecdotal experiences with the exact scenario with TV sets and AV receivers stored ITB long term.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #669 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
I sure do.

But enlighten me. Since you seem to believe it's directly related to a dollar amount, could you point me to solid documentation for the ranges?
Uh... that's not what I said at all. I said $550 is not a boutique price for a 4K player and it's not. A boutique price is generally in the thousands for an item of this... hmm... how can I put this without you arguing? let's go with "type of thing"... I can't think of a better phrase right now. What I'm getting at is $2000 is generally going to be boutique pricing for a 4K player, but not for an AVR since those "cost more to begin with". AVR boutique pricing is probably closer to the $4000 to $5000 range or more. There aren't any set price ranges silly, that's just the premium the boutique companies slap on stuff to make you feel good about yourself.

I certainly didn't say that price = boutique. I said NOT a boutique price = NOT boutique. That's quite a bit different then what you are trying to imply I said. Boutique items definitely come with a boutique price. Price alone does not make it boutique.

FYI: Lexicon is a boutique manufacturer. Oppo is a PREMIUM manufacturer.

Since you apparently don't know how to use Google, I think I will enlighten you as to what boutique manufacturing actually means: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boutique_manufacturing
Operon and Dire_Straits like this.
post #670 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 1999
Please move on.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #671 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked: 3409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
UHD (4K) discs are already Region Free -- no Region locking for those.

For SD-DVD discs, folks have been using the free "SuperDisc" tool -- you burn an easily found file onto a disc, put the disc in the player, and a few seconds later the disc pops back out again and you are done -- a one time step. (Even though OPPO can't SHIP the players to be SD-DVD Region Free in the US, a solution like this was necessary because there are parts of the world where players have to be sold as Region Free for SD-DVD.)

So the only issue is regular (not 4K) Blu-ray where lots of discs are sold with Region locking. For that you need a 3rd party hardware mod for the player. This can be a simple piece attached inside the player, or an even simpler piece you plug into a USB socket. These are available and work. See Bill's FAQ for the 203. Those also provide SD-DVD Region Free so you don't also need to run the SuperDisc.

-----------------

What you are referring to is that some folks have tried selling hacked versions (*OLDER* versions) of the player's firmware to accomplish Blu-ray Region Free and some other tricks.

OPPO has tried to make it more difficult for folks to do that as it becomes a real support headache -- for example because folks are stuck on that older version of the firmware.
--Bob
So basically, the 203/205 models can do everything the 103/105 models can do with the hardware mod? The ISO playback is nice but not critical as long the 203 can play MKV containerized content created from shiny discs just as the 103 can.

And thanks!

Last edited by Keenan; 04-04-2018 at 02:44 PM.
post #672 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 436
I wonder if MediaTek plays a role in the Oppo decision. Oppo has worked with MediaTek chip sets in most (or maybe even all) of their players. If MT was not going to produce further chipsets, this would certainly play into a decision.

BTW, I went and ordered a second 203 for the pending update of my main system.

post #673 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I have had zero problems with my oppo 203 and really enjoy the quality of it and what it does. I am that small minority that buys about 50 percent of what I watch in the UHD format to get the ATMOS sound and the best possible picture quality. I have done some streaming with ATMOS and some movies as well with UHD which does work pretty well, but sometimes the offerings are not there so I get the disk. Also, I like 3d. Got to buy the disk to get that as well. So, I guess I will just run this player until it breaks and figure out where to go at that point.... Too bad we are losing an option.
kinglm likes this.

Sony 285es 4k , 16'6" from the screen. 142" Silver Ticket 2.35:1 A/T Screen. Yamaha RX-A3050, 7 Channel Outlaw Amp, 7.2.4 speaker layout. Triad Bronze L/C/R , Triad Silver Omni SE Surround(Sides), Triad Bipole Gold OnWall Rear, 4 Ceiling Silver Ticket Speakers. SVS PB2000 Subwoofer and a PB1000, Oppo. 203 player, XBox One X, Roku 4, Logitech remote, Alexa Controlled
post #674 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Oppo Support has said this:

Q: The announcement says Oppo will “gradually” stop making products. How gradually?

A: We are in the process of manufacturing our last batch of products. If there is no change to delay or speed up the production, we expect the last product to come out of the factory in June.

Q: When production stops, will you continue to sell products in your inventory? How long do you anticipate that might last?

A: Yes, we will continue to sell products in our inventory. It is hard to predict how long that might last; based on the previous rate, it may last 2-3 months. However, demand may slow down given the announcement, or perhaps people will want to get products while they can and the inventory will be sold out quickly.

Q: What will happen to the company in the long term? Will it change its focus in some way, or will it stay open long enough to support its products for some period of time? Are we talking months or years?

A: The company will transition from product development to product support. We are committed to supporting the products for as long as we can. For those who just purchased one of our products or will purchase them, we will honor the 2-year manufacturer’s warranty, so we are talking about years rather than months. This is also why we made the announcement now, so customers can make an informed decision regarding future purchases, and we can plan to have the proper resources to support the customers and products.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
kinglm likes this.

Last edited by Crazytrekker; 04-04-2018 at 03:06 PM.
post #675 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1700 Post(s)
Liked: 3078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
I'm not talking theory. I'm talking from my own personal experience and from other posters anecdotal experiences with the exact scenario with TV sets and AV receivers stored ITB long term.
Makes me want to break open that flying head S-VHS JVC I bought 20(?) years ago with my foresight, and never opened. Still in the back basement.
post #676 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 3027 Post(s)
Liked: 3642
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
To be clear, my responses were directed only at the on premise streaming portion of your post, which I thought would have been clear from the portion I quoted in my response. Essentially, I suspect we largely agree. I just prefer playing ripped discs (at original quality) rather than actually putting the original disc in every time as it's a LOT more convenient and opens up lots of nifty options. Part of the problem in responding / reading posts is that there is more than 1 type of streaming (Internet and on premise) and it can get a bit confusing to figure out which type people are talking about at times.

The whole telecom infrastructure thing is going to be interesting to watch as it evolves over time.
I agree 100%. Having a local collection on NAS is far superior to having shelves of discs. A very viable option for everyone now that traditional drives have plummeted in price since the SSD revolution. I remember when 80mb drives were $$$$. The good ole days...not really but you know what I mean
gsr, aaronwt, Keenan and 1 others like this.
post #677 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 3027 Post(s)
Liked: 3642
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Makes me want to break open that flying head S-VHS JVC I bought 20(?) years ago with my foresight, and never opened. Still in the back basement.
I wonder how many guys are still holding on to those Toshiba and Xbox HD-DVD drives. I should have known the format I picked would have been the loser. I went all in on that one.....
aaronwt and muzz like this.
post #678 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1700 Post(s)
Liked: 3078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
I wonder how many guys are still holding on to those Toshiba and Xbox HD-DVD drives. I should have known the format I picked would have been the loser. I went all in on that one.....
I've never opened the S-VHS box, but I threw out whatever I had that played HD-DVD a long time ago. An Oppo? A Toshiba???? Don't remember.
post #679 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lol, mines still in my AV rack. I was only a recent non unboxer.
drh3b likes this.

post #680 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The remote supports 3 code sets. There is a switch in the battery compartment and a corresponding setting in Setup. So you can have three players and they will not conflict.

More details in the manual.

-Bill
Old post but still most don't know this

Yes for this but if you turn the main off and on again both devices start as Option setting code 1. I have a Oppo 103D and a 203. I have the oppo 103d set as code 1 and the 203 set as code 2 but since I tune the main off the next time I turn it on both player fire up using code 1 which is useless using a Harmony remote. I had it out with Oppo and they did nothing.

Main Room Sony KD-75X9400E Display, AMP. Yamaha RX-A3050. Front Mains, 2x Dali Concept 8. Klipsch Center, Surround and Rear Surrounds, 4X Dali Ikon 1. Ceiling 4X B&W CCM 382. Subs, 2x Kef C200 for the rear and 2X Kenwood SW-07HT for the fronts. Lounge Shakers, Dayton Audio SA 230 Sub Amp with 4 AST-2B-4 lounge Shakers. The other Tv room the Hecto live there the Hecto 100 inch Short throw projector,
post #681 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4278 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:
I've never opened the S-VHS box, but I threw out whatever I had that played HD-DVD a long time ago. An Oppo? A Toshiba???? Don't remember.
Oppo didn't meddle with the HD DVD boondoggle, they wisely waited. I remember how disappointed I was that only Samsung and LG were making universal players at the time. There still remain exclusive HD DVD titles to this day, even if they're not masterpieces: https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu...t-blu-ray.html
Jive Turkey and drh3b like this.

Last edited by video_analysis; 04-04-2018 at 04:09 PM.
post #682 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 04:13 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked: 4281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Old post but still most don't know this

Yes for this but if you turn the main off and on again both devices start as Option setting code 1. I have a Oppo 103D and a 203. I have the oppo 103d set as code 1 and the 203 set as code 2 but since I tune the main off the next time I turn it on both player fire up using code 1 which is useless using a Harmony remote. I had it out with Oppo and they did nothing.
Nothing can be done without a hardware redesign. The players remember their the remote code only while on or on standby. If power is cut entirely they forget it until they boot up again the next time. So the player must respond to all remote codes the first power on until they have fully booted.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #683 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4278 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Its not an emotional resistance. Honestly, let me explain. I base it on the premise that streaming = compression. I am a network architect and have worked at some of the largest telecom providers globally in my 20+ year career. Unless you are in a key metropolitan area or a new neighborhood that is built out with fiber, the offerings will be what it is. Anyone who thinks that the network infrastructure throughout the US can support unlimited bandwidth and growth is going to be sadly disappointed. If you live in markets that have fiber to the home, this doesn't apply to you. For the 90% of us that don't, it could become problematic. Telecom equipment cost are rising, margins are decreasing while demands are sky rocketing. SDN will help offset those equipment costs, but we are still in the infancy of virtualization for routers, firewalls, and switching infrastructure. The data caps and overage charges are coming - trust me. I am not a doom and gloom guy, just laying out the facts as they are from a perspective of the carriers.

I look at streaming the same as mp3's or wma with the exception of FLAC. I won't listen to it on my system. I can clearly hear the difference. Streaming will almost always be compressed for the majority of subscribers. Compression gets better as technology advances - I get it. However, currently, a streamed session vs disc is very noticeable in my theater. I also don't have FIOS or the other fiber to the home offerings where I live. I do watch Netflix, Youtube, and the like on my other TVs in the house but not in the theater room. Everything has a place, but I don't have a place for streaming on my theater system. Other do, which is perfectly fine. It is just not my preference. I am not knocking anyone, but the more accurate the speakers and projector are, the worse streaming appears and sounds. On a 70" TV, no worries. Blow it up to over 120" and you can clearly see it vs a disc.
I may be picking nits here, but Blu-ray and UHD are also compressed. Yes, streaming is even more so. As for digital audio, I would actually be surprised if you could successfully identify a 320 kbps 2-channel MP3 (encoded with more recent iterations of the LAME encoder) versus its lossless counterpart in a double-blind test. For the vast majority, it has achieved transparency. As for bandwidth, I am fortunate to not have caps (yet) in my semi-rural area. I used 779 GB last month, so if/when one arrives, I hope it's nothing less than 1 TB.

Last edited by video_analysis; 04-04-2018 at 04:22 PM.
post #684 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I have not seen the entire list, but a snippet from todays Wall Street Journal:

"Not all consumer items were spared: Flat-screen TVs, dishwashers and bakery ovens all made the list" (of items that tariffs would be applied)

To put this to rest, tariffs are on aluminum and steel raw materials imported to the USA - roll, rod, ingot - not finished goods. It would have no effect unless disc players were specific line items on the harmonized tariff schedule.

Assuming Asian-sourced raw materials and manufacturing, locally sourced aluminum feed stocks for locally produced products will have no effect on current finished good costs.

Hopefully we can move on to the regular thread discussion instead of misinformed commentary on proposed tariffs....

Last edited by TMcG; 04-05-2018 at 07:44 AM.
post #685 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Not to already sound over nostalgic but I just received my Fed Ex Shipment notification from Oppo for the 205 I just placed. As always I got that consumer electronics addict thrill up my leg but seeing the "sent from" Oppo Digital, Inc Menlo Park, CA but brought back a flood of memories going all the way back to my initial oppo experience with the 971 and how this will be my last time I get to experience this. I wouldn't say that I'm actually sad because after all there are certainly more important things in life than Physical media and the machines we play them on but, that being said for the 1st time I really feel that my purchasing preferences (physical media etc....) are vulnerable to the changes that have come to the industry.
wmcclain, dnoonie and Jbhur212 like this.
post #686 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
http://www.bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=31

I've bought multiple devices from them. Their earlier device was more complicated to install, but their latest iteration (the one shown here) is mindlessly simple to install. It makes the player region-free (with no user interaction required) for DVDs. For BR, you have to "flip" the player to a different region (using key sequences in your remote), but that only takes 30 seconds or so (because of a power-cycle), so it is quick and easy. Anyway, I've had no problems with either of the products that I've acquired from them, FWIW.

Thank you very much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #687 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 764
For curiosity's sake, I looked up the $$ of the new Panny UB900 here in Canada. Turns out it's the same price as the Oppo 203. Sigh. Time to sift through all the excrement.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #688 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 5733 Post(s)
Liked: 8177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
This is a public service announcement:

For all those grieving about the sudden and tragic death of Oppo optical disc players, there will be a eulogy here Thursday April 4th starting at 6pm EDT.

Please share as you see fit to bring closure. Post pictures of your beloved Oppo in your A/V rack, stories how it enhanced your video nirvana, screen shots of the video output in action.
Presumably you meant to post: Thursday, April 5th.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #689 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post
I hate this news. I'm on my second Oppo (BDP-83, one of those first 50 "Early Adopter Program" preview units before they were generally available for sale). It's been great and still plays everything I've put in it. I always expected that when it died or when I needed new tech, I'd get whatever Oppo was selling.

So now I wonder: do I buy a 203 while I can? Here are my needs:

- I have a 75" TV so I care about DVD upscaling quality
- I don't care about analog audio out
- I don't care about 4K anytime soon (no discs, 1080p TV)
- I don't care about streaming or apps (I have a Roku for that)
- I do care about firmware updates to keep on top of bugs and quirky discs
- I play audio CDs on it but I don't care about any obscure disc formats (although I have 1 DVD-A disc)
- My BDP-83 is working totally fine (9 years!)

I never minded the Oppo pricetag after my Oppo DVD player sold on eBay for more than MSRP after many years of use. I'll buy a 203 today if there are enough reasons to do so and not enough not to. May it last me 10 years too.

Do you think I could keep my BDP-83 running (DIY parts repair, etc) long enough to last until such a time as technology passes what the 203 would've offered me? And then I just get the best player from Panasonic or whoever doesn't suck?
If you don't need the audio out I don't think you need an OPPO. There are other great video disk players out there. I use my OPPO 93s audio out and I'd certainly use the audio outs of any future disk player, the Panasonic looks good for audio but has no HDMI input and I can't find a list of the streaming apps the Pany supports. I'm considering a 205 purchase with my 93 plugged into it for streaming, or maybe a ROKU or Nvidia Shield.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #690 of 3292 Old 04-04-2018, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Hate to say it, but the writing was on the wall when they took a pass on including any apps. I do love my 203. But without apps it's the least used device in the lineup. Sad news in a shrinking market of high quality A/V products.

Got the UB900 first, have a projector, then got the 203 because of the HDR tone mapping added feature, picture improved some, but finally bit the bullet and got a Lumagen Radiance Pro. I only use the players for video playback , no music, and I can't really tell a difference in picture quality. Since the UB900 has both NF/Amazon, that is the player I have been using mostly and the 203 is beginning to collect dust. Probably will hold onto the Oppo in case the Panny crashes and burns. Of course by then, we'll be well into 8K and probably have full 2020 color space!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page