Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke. - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11038Likes

post #721 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
this feels like a pc vs mac debate... the value is there if you check ALL the boxes

i'm not saying it's not a fair price for what you get, but that what you get is massive overkill for the vast majority of consumers.

again it comes to options, options are great, and it's sad that this option is being taken away. but if oppo wanted to compete, it probably should have offered something more mainstream to keep the lights on.

i want to say the real shame is that the market doesn't cater to quality, long-lasting products anymore. i'm fully willing to spend double, if it lasts 3 times as long(or more). but with the current market, nothing stays relevant long enough to justify the cost. i mean, if i had the world's greatest dvd player right now, i wouldn't know what to do with it. in 2 years, i might feel that way about anything that doesn't have the latest version of hdmi. there's very few products that are still worth investing in quality for, and that's a real shame, imo.
Great post - and finally some reasonble comments in this thread. The value IS there for the higher cost players IF the buyer will make use of those extra features. Massive Overkill is probably a good way to state it. The "snobs" can lament all they want about reguler, everyday UHD players but the facts show that most of them play discs just fine and provide a great experience for them at home. The players get firmware updates regularly too.

I agree with you that Oppo should have catered more to a mid-tier market and offered a player that didnt have analog audio outs and whatever other "massive overkill" features so they could have wet the appetites of a much larger user base. An analogy would be how BMW/Mercedes/Audi all make what they call an "entry-level" car where the idea is once you get people hooked on the feel & quality that they'll become lifelong customers and buy your more premium cars. Seems to work since most owners of those cars are pretty loyal. You get the idea. But, they didnt and insted offered up a $550 dollar player that had way too much useless fluff. Obviously that didnt work.

Also - great point about how fast things change and whatever "top-of-the-line" player you bought a year or two ago might suddenly be incompatible with *whatever* spec changes occur. Products improve too over time. The "entry-level" products get better and better. We are the point where that shunned $250 UHD players puts out a great image and just "works". I like quality products too. Thats why I bought an OLED. But, sometimes you can get 99% of the performance from a product that costs like 2/3 less. For the modestly-enriched video hobbyist, you have to take advantage of such things.

fierce_gt likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Heads up the 203 is out of stock at crutchfield and they don’t even list the 205 now. The only thing in stock are the rack mounts.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #723 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by goksucats View Post
Did Sony move to Korea?
I meant to only refer LG and Samsung as the Korean giants, Sony is still a Japanese company.

GRAND ZOLAND 3D SURROUND 5.1.2
Atmos/X elevates you to another level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leev View Post
This is really sad news as for me the Oppo players really have been the pinnacle of enthusiast AV disc spinners for years, and i am a proud and happy owner of the 205.

Perhaps the Chinese connection has been both the biggest asset and primary cause for the demise of the brand. Often people will say that the players are over priced etc but when you look at the 205 and compare it to similar audiophile products from niche enthusiast brands, these machines often cost thousands of dollars more than the Oppo. Access to large advanced factories and the buying power of the parent company no doubt the reason for the high value/performance ratio.

I imagine that Oppo HQ have looked at the numbers and decided to focus exclusively on the mobile phone business, this may be influenced by impending tariffs etc. A niche product with high manufacturing costs that diverts resources from the core mobile phone business is now perhaps considered a burden.

One thing i do not accept is that the lack of streaming apps was a primary cause. The absence of the apps could be due to the fact that this was in the pipeline but as player i think the machine benefits. It has a HDMI input whose primary purpose is for the attachment of streaming devices which will always be better supported, with more choice and updates that disc player based apps regardless of manufacturer. This way one can take advantage of the Oppo av performance while utilising the latest streaming tech.

Anyway a sad day, one can only hope that the brand will live on in a new form perhaps with a new name and that the core personnel in Oppo Digital USA can find a way to regroup and relaunch under another guise. I do fear this is unlikely and it really is the end of an era.
Nobody has ever realized Oppo actually loses money on selling these players...especially comparing to huge profit from their mobile business.
Am I the only one who still wants to buy an Oppo in the near future? I have been planning this for a long time.

Mark K
post #725 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 05:22 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4498 Post(s)
Liked: 4284
Time to get priorities straight, people.

Will there be a healthy after-market for the bags?

In particular, who else has this rare specimen?

-Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	green-bag.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	2385114  
aaronwt, Keenan, gomo657 and 4 others like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #726 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 05:29 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
Nobody has ever realized Oppo actually loses money on selling these players...especially comparing to huge profit from their mobile business.
Am I the only one who still wants to buy an Oppo in the near future? I have been planning this for a long time.
I'm not so sure that Oppo actually loses money on selling the players. It's more that selling mobile phones is a LOT more profitable, so if they need more manufacturing capacity, it becomes a somewhat simple business decision. Something along the lines of: do you build another building for $$$$$ or do you shut down a division that only generates $$ profits?
Operon likes this.
post #727 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Didn't Oppo indicate that they will continue to manufacture 205 players with the last shipment being in June? Hopefully they will have some available soon. Would be nice to be put on a waiting list as stock becomes available.

Quick question, the "hdmi out audio only" is for the SACD/CD? I'm assuming this is connected to my Anthem AVR hdmi in or do I use the analog out in the 203 to analog in on the Anthem AVR? I don't normally listen to CDs because I haven't had a CD player in forever and have most of them copied to iTunes.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro

Last edited by mbroadus; 04-05-2018 at 05:55 AM.
post #728 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 1577
Nice bag wmcclain! Could always use it for shopping.
post #729 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Didn't Oppo indicate that they will continue to manufacture 205 players with the last shipment being in June? Hopefully they will have some available soon. Would be nice to be put on a waiting list as stock becomes available.

Quick question, the "hdmi out audio only" is for the SACD/CD? I'm assuming this is connected to my Anthem AVR hdmi in or do I use the analog out in the 203 to analog in on the Anthem AVR? I don't normally listen to CDs because I haven't had a CD player in forever and have most of them copied to iTunes.
For the 203, use HDMI. The Anthem and 203 use the same dac I believe. AKM 4458, so best to leave in the digital domain as long as possible.
VisionxOrb and mbroadus like this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 04-05-2018 at 06:16 AM.
post #730 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
Heads up the 203 is out of stock at crutchfield and they don’t even list the 205 now. The only thing in stock are the rack mounts.
This happened faster than I thought, glad I put my order in for the 205 on Tuesday. Its odd but I feel like the enthusiasts are showing their support by gobbling up the last of their stock but then again doesn't this mean we are rushing the folks at Oppo into early retirement?
post #731 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post
This happened faster than I thought, glad I put my order in for the 205 on Tuesday. Its odd but I feel like the enthusiasts are showing their support by gobbling up the last of their stock but then again doesn't this mean we are rushing the folks at Oppo into early retirement?
I bet the resellers are a big part of it. I'm sure they buy 15, 20 at a time and stick 'em on eBay for $2500.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
raf77 likes this.
post #732 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Well I guess that makes my decision for me.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
post #733 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can't decide if I want to wait and see if more 205 stock becomes available or go ahead grab a 203?

post #734 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Can't decide if I want to wait and see if more 205 stock becomes available or go ahead grab a 203?
Well, do you care about 2-channel audio via stereo out and a headphone jack? If not a priority I'd go 203.

post #735 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
Well, do you care about 2-channel audio via stereo out and a headphone jack? If not a priority I'd go 203.

True...my only 2 channel listening is vinyl.

post #736 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 376
More 205's are becoming available. Check out Audio Advisors and Value Electronics (both sellers are highly reputable and are selling them at MSRP). Oppo had stated they would continue to manufacture them until around June, and that seems to be the case. But better grab one while you can.
post #737 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 96
still available at audioadvisor.com ...........

mine is out for delivery today already from Crutchfield...
post #738 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
This happened faster than I thought, glad I put my order in for the 205 on Tuesday. Its odd but I feel like the enthusiasts are showing their support by gobbling up the last of their stock but then again doesn't this mean we are rushing the folks at Oppo into early retirement?[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Yeah me too as soon as heard the news I put my order in with crutchfield and mine has shipped should be getting it at end of day. I figure better just grab it now!

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
post #739 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 82
All the speculation

The fact is nobody outside Oppo knows why they've bailed on the business. Streaming has been around for a long time... (Netflix has been streaming for 11 years). I doubt if not having apps did them in, as just about every TV made offers this feature.

In general, the high-end has been in serious decline for many years and for many reasons. I don't know why the decision was made to drop their video/audiophile businesses, and no one else here does either. It was always a very small sideline for Oppo, as their main business is cellphones.

I've had several Oppo players over the years, and all have been excellent. I have two 203s and one 103 in service now.

I wish Oppo had stayed in the Blu-ray player business, and I hope some other brands will up their game to fill the void. I've had some Samsung and Sony players and frankly they don't meet my needs in terms of build quality or features.
post #740 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Yeah I hear ya. I'm fine with BB and Amazon because I purchase 100% of my discs from one or the other. I'm building a collection otherwise I wouldn't buy them. I told the girlfriend I didn't buy the OLED to watch Comcast.. and that's the truth.

If she didn't watch it for her Big Brother and Survivor (lol) I wouldn't even have cable TV. I'm 43 and haven't really been a big cable TV watcher in 30+ years... since the days of Incredible Hulk/Dukes of Hazzard of which I have the box set for both.

Today's TV shows pale in comparison IMO and I'm just more about movies... movies... movies. There's only one show on cable right now I give a rat's about... Air Disasters on Smithsonian Channel. I DVR them and watch at my convenience. Outside of that... not much else.
Sounds like you could cut the cord and go OTA really easily. Yeah, I've found that after some good cable shows went away, all the good stuff is Netflix, HBO, OTA, movies, or features on UHD BD like Planet Earth II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post
Well, count this movie buff firmly an Oppo devotee.
I'm just going to point out that you're posting on AVSForum.com, so you're probably both a movie buff *and* a Home Theater enthusiast!
Operon and TravisPNW like this.
post #741 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 262
A decade or so ago disc formats were changing so regularly that I got tired of replacing players and built a HTPC. The advantage of the PC was a low cost software update kept me current. Sometimes I needed a new optical drive but that was never a major purchase. Then content protection came along and software+drive solutions no longer worked. Plus the software needed to recognize each disc as legitimate. So, someone needed to keep up with disc releases authentication. I would say the HTPC has been pretty much killed off. It gets to be a major expense because when the player become obsolete the AVR needs replacing as well. So, my concern is future firmware and software to keep the OPPO functioning for - say 5 years.

3D movies came along and I liked them. Ultra HD is nice but 3D can be more immersive. Now 3D is passing away.

Then there are audio formats in constant flux.

Obsolescence is a profit driver for the industry witches. Double bubble, toil and trouble.
mark_k likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 04-05-2018 at 12:29 PM.
post #742 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Nice bag wmcclain! Could always use it for shopping.
wmcclain hurt my eyes!
lizrussspike likes this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #743 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
A decade or so ago disc formats were changing so regularly that I got tired of replacing players and built a HTPC. The advantage of the PC was a low cost software update kept me current. Sometimes I needed a new optical drive but that was never a major purchase. Then content protection came along and software+drive solutions no longer worked. Plus the software needed to recognize each disc as legitimate. So, someone needed to keep up with disc releases authentication. I would say the HTPC has been pretty much killed off. It gets to be a major expense because when the player become obsolete the AVR needs replacing as well. So, my concern is future firmware and software to keep the OPPO functioning for - say 5 years.

3D movies came along and I liked them. Ultra HD is nice but 3D can be more immersive. Now 3D is passing away.

The there are audio formats in constant flux.

Obsolescence is a profit driver for the industry witches. Double bubble, toil and trouble.
I believe 4K UHD Blu-ray is the final variation of physical media, maybe 8K? But these players can play a lot of different formats with is good and have an advantage over laser disc or HD DVD which were here very briefly! The only obsolete format I have and will keep is my super 8 projector, screen and movies! And of course 1 or 2 UHD players until streaming PQ exceeds disc which I think is way down the line, like a decade or at the least 5 years? I could be wrong though!
goksucats likes this.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
post #744 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just pulled the trigger on a 203 to join my 93.
Just picked up a LG OLED and need the 4K. Can't imagine buying a mass market player.

Oppos rock and have had the best CS I've ever experianced. Hope they keep that end afloat for a couple of years at least.....
post #745 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 1577
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
wmcclain hurt my eyes!
kokishin,
I do have the black bag like that, that came with my 103D, very solid bag!
post #746 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Using an AVR, even the Anthem, grab the 203. The only reason I have a 95 vs a 93 is I use its analog outs with a headphone rig. For an AVR its no guarantee that they create a separate analog path when using RCA connections, and in fact won't if you use any DSP (room correction). Even on pure direct most don't create an analog path, pure direct just cuts off uneeded circuitry like wi-fi, video, etc to reduce noise and in fact may still digitize it and run it through the DAC without applying any DSP.
mbroadus likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 04-05-2018 at 08:17 AM.
post #747 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 08:14 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip To View Post
I heard the news last year and emailed OPPO, but they denied and confirmed that OPPO Digital would continue to serve in the US for a long time.
Even if the CSR was aware (most likely only a small number of folks at Oppo Digital knew about this until shortly before it was announced), they wouldn't have been allowed to say anything. FYI, the beta test group didn't know until a few minutes before the news was posted publicly.
post #748 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Please stay off the topic of politics, trade wars, etc.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #749 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 70
How do we know that this is NOT internal management issues and has nothing to do with sales?
Operon likes this.
post #750 of 3294 Old 04-05-2018, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Serves them right. Truth is they've priced themselves out of business by charging more than twice as much as competing Sony and Samsung players. I hear oppo is the best but I doubt it's twice as good as the next best thing. Maybe now I can finally afford one

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo Tx-Sr353 || Xbox One S || Roku Ultra
Vizio M70-D3 || Onkyo Tx-Sr373 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k
Vizio E65-E0 || Sharp HTSB603 || Xbox One S || Roku Premiere+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page