Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke. - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11122Likes

post #1141 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtam2005 View Post
Crap, apparently the UHD-205 have already sold out!! That is EFFING B.S.!!!

While I am blessed that I can afford to buy the higher priced products, I HATE poor value and having to pay 3-4 times as much for the same quality of performance as my 105. THIS SUCKS!!!
You check you're local Magnolia Design Store at Best Buy? When I ordered one a few hours ago they said they had more in the warehouse.

There may be another run of them by OPPO.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked: 8334
Quote:
Crap, apparently the UHD-205 have already sold out!! That is EFFING B.S.!!!

While I am blessed that I can afford to buy the higher priced products, I HATE poor value and having to pay 3-4 times as much for the same quality of performance as my 105. THIS SUCKS!!!
OPPO has stated they are looking into doing another production run of the 205, since there was such a run on them.

You can put yourself on their notification list via the 205’s product page on the OPPO Digital web site.
—Bob
KC-Technerd and dnoonie like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #1143 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
For the 203, use HDMI. The Anthem and 203 use the same dac I believe. AKM 4458, so best to leave in the digital domain as long as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
What's your source for this? Others disagree:
Yes, this is exactly my point.

The $4000 Anthem Prepro uses the same cheap AKM 4458 DAC as the much cheaper NON-AUDIOPHILE Oppo UDP-203.

The $1300 Oppo player uses the latest ESS Sabre DAC. The Anthem is a RIPOFF!!!! They were too cheap to use the much better AKM-4490 Verita DAC. The Anthem is a ripoff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I understand, thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize you considered the OPPO 203 DAC to be crap too. I misunderstood your point.

I like cars, airplanes, running, and coding || current gear: two eyes, two ears, one brain, and some other junk.

Last edited by Nugget; 04-07-2018 at 08:55 PM.
post #1145 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterofpain View Post
I just don't understand how a lot of you think; it's like you're living in a dream world where Oppo is providing you with the essentials of life - "It's my precious!"
Not understanding someone else's passion doesn't make you any smarter or "in the know" or them as owners any more clueless or fanatical. I sold a long time county sheriff cars for years and he dumped untold amounts of money into some ugly lime green open top classic car he always brought to our car shows. Talk to those guys for an hour on a 110 degree day on hot concrete and you'd think they were as mad as a hatter. Little secret... They weren't. They were just passionate about a hobby that took their minds off their day to day lives. What they spent to have a seat upholstered would buy a couple of OPPO's but mayor's and city councilman and assorted bankers from my home town all thought it was money well spent.

Quote:
These Oppos are NOT going to be collector items in the realm of home video -
I'm not an OPPO fanboy and have never personally owned one myself but your wrong as they already are and have been for years. Don't necessarily agree with it but saying they aren't/won't be ignores the obvious fact (like it or not) that they already are. Plenty of qualified buyers were on our lot over the years looking for a used 1990's ZR-1 even though the newer Z06 outpaced it technologically. It's not all about the most current specs with all buyers.

Quote:
even if 4K HDR on BR is the last physical format, you're already behind the 8 ball since HDMI 2.1 is about to roll out.
The full benefits from HDMI 2.1 are years away both in content and in hardware. It's a future proofing standard. There'll be plenty of consumers unwilling to chase that train until it's all the way in the station. Count me as one of them.

Quote:
Furthermore, the Oppo's DAC is superior to most other player's DAC, but that's about all it has going against the $99 players (yes, I know you're excited about touching the metal case, and hearing that smooth motor suck in the robust tray) - 4K is 4K is 4K.
There's literally like 100 things other than what you've touched on here which independent reviewers have cited for OPPO's value in the marketplace. The DAC is most often mentioned last or not at all and is more relevant to the 2 channel crowd as in a home theater setup using HDMI out to an AV receiver the OPPO's DAC is irrelevant. The receiver's DAC takes over. Thus most home theater reviewers skip over this part. Just saying something over and over again doesn't make it true. Just redundant.

Quote:
I will put my $99 LG UHD player against any Oppo in a double blind test and no difference will be noticed, assuming both display sources are equal.
The "double blinded" tester's will probably have to be "double ear muffed" as well from what I've read about your LG.

Quote:
But, no, just keep telling your wife that the 2-3 extra Oppos you bought are a sound investment for the future. Seriously, can we have sense of logic in this forum - it appears to only be filled with emotion and waxing nostalgic over some overpriced no-name (to the rest of the world) Chinese junk.... like the junk that everyone else, including me has, except we didn't overpay for it.
Hmm... What do or don't you tell YOUR wife? More than likely there's a few white lies or crossed fingers in there somewhere over the years regarding your own particular hobby but what do I know. I only spent 22 years listening to every married guy I ever sold a car to swear me to secrecy over something they had in their trade in that their significant other wasn't aware they bought. Same gripers here with regards to OPPO are paying too much(by someone else's standards) for something in their own life be it Cadillac's/Lexus's or fountain pens or custom tailored suits or Godiva chocolates.

If the buyer likes the product, the packaging, the performance, the customer service and the resale value why is it your new found job all of a sudden to make that sound bad? Don't make any sharp pulls on the reins there.You might fall off of that high you're so sure the OPPO owners are riding.

Most of them by the by have been pretty helpful and nice to many of us non OPPO owners over the years here on AVS and we'd like to keep it that way.

There's lots of consumer junk made right here in the good ole US of A as well bud. Geographical location doesn't dictate quality. Some of our highest rated automobile plants are located around some of the not so nice parts of Mexico. Plenty of lawyers and big shots driving that "junk" as well.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 04-07-2018 at 09:03 PM.
post #1146 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I understand, thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize you considered the OPPO 203 DAC to be crap too. I misunderstood your point.
Haha! No, I do not consider the Oppo 203 to be crap at all. It is a great value for what it is!

My point was that the $4000 Anthem Pre-pro is a terrible value for what it is compared to the Oppo 205.

I use a 105 as a prepro/DAC, and the Anthem would be a DOWNGRADE to my system. Losing Oppo means I will have to spend $6000 for a Classe CP-800 or wait for the Emotiva RMC-1 which is still like $4000k.

Losing Oppo really ticks me off. I HATE wasting money.

Last edited by xirtam2005; 04-07-2018 at 09:03 PM.
post #1147 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
My point was that the $4000 Anthem Pre-pro is a terrible value for what it is compared to the Oppo 205.
I agree that an Anthem is a terrible value if you have no use for the majority of its features. Sounds like that's your situation and I'm sorry you've lost the option for an OPPO.

Equating an AVM60 to a UHD Blu-ray player because they both coincidentally have overlap in a single feature seems sort of weird to me. How do you like the OPPO 205's calibrated microphone and room correction software? Is it reasonable to say that at least some part of the $4000 price tag is paying for stuff you don't care about?
Operon likes this.

I like cars, airplanes, running, and coding || current gear: two eyes, two ears, one brain, and some other junk.
post #1148 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Sorry for being off topic, but where is the $4000 price for the Anthem AVM60 coming from? According to their website the price is still $3000.

More on topic, personally I find it sad Oppo is getting out of the player business. I greatly enjoyed my previous 980H (sold it later for close to what I paid for it new!). Currently, I’m enjoying my 103.....not only for movies, but for multichannel music.

post #1149 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I've always missed the 971's disc tray. Totally forgot about the old remote too...

post #1150 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I agree that an Anthem is a terrible value if you have no use for the majority of its features. Sounds like that's your situation and I'm sorry you've lost the option for an OPPO.

Equating an AVM60 to a UHD Blu-ray player because they both coincidentally have overlap in a single feature seems sort of weird to me. How do you like the OPPO 205's calibrated microphone and room correction software? Is it reasonable to say that at least some part of the $4000 price tag is paying for stuff you don't care about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Sorry for being off topic, but where is the $4000 price for the Anthem AVM60 coming from? According to their website the price is still $3000.

More on topic, personally I find it sad Oppo is getting out of the player business. I greatly enjoyed my previous 980H (sold it later for close to what I paid for it new!). Currently, I’m enjoying my 103.....not only for movies, but for multichannel music.
The AVM 60 is not that bad of a value for what it is - it is a fully featured home theater pre/pro with Atmos. I don't think it is a ripoff at all. I prefer Marantz 8000 series for HT. I have the 8802A in my dedicated HT. The AVM 60 is a fine product for its price, given its features.

The new Anthem STR Preamplifier is $4000 and uses the same relatively cheaper AKM DACs as the Oppo 203 and AVM 60.

The Anthem STR Preamp is a terrible value for what it is!! That was the product I was talking about, not the fully featured AVM 60.

https://www.anthemav.com/products/mo.../page=overview

I had high hopes that Anthem would at least put a Veritas AKM 4490 in what is supposed to be a dedicated 2.1 channel "audiophile" preamp/DAC. That STR Preamp is a terrible value.

I think the Marantz 8802A/8805 and the new Emotiva RMC-1 at least have the AKM 4490.

I'm more or less venting, since if Anthem would have put a better DAC in there - either the AKM 4490 or ESS Sabre, I would have been seriously interested in that product.

Last edited by xirtam2005; 04-07-2018 at 09:59 PM.
post #1151 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
The AVM 60 is not that bad of a value for what it is - it is a fully featured home theater pre/pro with Atmos. I don't think it is a ripoff at all. I prefer Marantz 8000 series for HT. I have the 8802A in my dedicated HT. The AVM 60 is a fine product for its price, given its features.

The new Anthem STR Preamplifier is $4000 and uses the same relatively cheaper AKM DACs as the Oppo 203 and AVM 60.

The Anthem STR Preamp is a terrible value for what it is!! That was the product I was talking about, not the fully featured AVM 60.

I had high hopes that Anthem would at least put a Veritas AKM 4490 in what is supposed to be a dedicated 2.1 channel "audiophile" preamp/DAC. That STR Preamp is a terrible value.

I think the Marantz 8802A/8805 and the new Emotiva RMC-1 at least have the AKM 4490.
Wow, I've been researching full featured pre-amps and very interested in the new Anthem STR pre-amp, as well as possibly the McIntosh C47. Given that I would only be using the pre-amp's DAC for two channel listening, do you think the STR's cheaper AKM dac will compromise the two channel audio quality?

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #1152 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
Wow, I've been researching full featured pre-amps and very interested in the new Anthem STR pre-amp, as well as possibly the McIntosh C47. Given that I would only be using the pre-amp's DAC for two channel listening, do you think the STR's cheaper AKM dac will compromise the two channel audio quality?
I have never heard an Anthem STR Pre-amp. I really thought Anthem would have put a better DAC in that product. The specifications look great, if they are real. That's why I am surprised with the chosen DAC.

Oppo's specs are in a class only bested by Benchmark and Chord, which do not offer bass management, so I am concerned that my system will never sound as good as it does now at any price.

The other product I'm interested in is the NAD M12, but also I cannot find what DAC it uses. I find it odd that these very expensive "audiohphile first" products don't advertise their DACs, when similarly priced fully featured pre-pros regularly tout their DACs.
post #1153 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:

I'm more or less venting, since if Anthem would have put a better DAC in there - either the AKM 4490 or ESS Sabre, I would have been seriously interested in that product.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

You’re use of the term “pre/pro” in your posts lead to the confusion. The product you’re referring to is just a preamp.

post #1154 of 3355 Old 04-07-2018, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Getting back to Oppo as opposed to Anthem, I ordered the 203 earlier today. Not real happy with my Xbox One X as a 4K player and the LG UDP970 I had for a few days was junk.

James
post #1155 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclistMT View Post
I would say you should ask yourself what the Oppo can do for you that no other player can. For me, the Oppo's tone mapping and 21:9 mode are the must have for me which got me to order one this week and made me willing to pay a premium price for a 4K player. Other than those features I didn't need another 4k player as I already have an XBOX One S.

So if the Oppo brings nothing to the table for YOU compared to other players, you probably don't need it.
I'm not sure what the 203 would do for me that no other player can, because (1) I'm not familiar with all currently available players around the same price and (2) I can't predict what players may be made within the next few years that will do everything or most everything that the 203 can do, and then some, supporting new features/formats/specifications, at or below the same price. I honestly don't NEED the player now, but IF it's going to be the last great, relatively affordable (for me) universal disc player, I wouldn't want to pass up a chance to own one.

I agree with someone else that said 4K may be the last resolution that is somewhat widely supported on disc. I doubt 8K or higher will explode on disc. However, HDR will continue to evolve and I doubt Oppo will continue to push out software updates for HDR for too long. Not to mention that some future HDR and other formats will probably require new chips/hardware.

What else is around the corner other than higher resolutions, better HDR, and possibly increased color space? I'm not hearing much in the way of movies being recorded at high frame rates. I know a lot of traditionalists prefer 24 fps, but I personally love very smooth, artifact free motion. I love being able to see detail while things are moving.

I'm trying to convince myself to order a 203 just to try it out, and if it really impresses me, then maybe I keep it. If not, I can return it, and just be out shipping costs.

Anyone else want to convince me NOT to buy one? I guess (maybe) that's what I'm looking for. I'm really tempted.

LG OLED65B6P
post #1156 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
"We will" or "We have?" They have written both. I think you may have read too much into what I said. I simply meant that Oppo's conflicting representations on Monday were confusing and neither clearly represented what became apparent in the following days, and I found that a bit concerning.
My point being the 205 sign-up list is a fairly unambiguous action, notwithstanding your disagreements with their Farewell missive. Perhaps, I should have added that clarifier falsely. Kinda like O.W. Holmes famous statement "... falsely shouting fire ..."; most people omit the falsely when quoting him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
'm not really sure what your point is here. Misleading or cruel under what circumstances? I think they are making it very clear that they are only considering the possibility of additional 205 productions, no promises. I don't see that as cruel or misleading....
Misleading inasmuch as to do so falsely, to erect a sign-up page disingenuously, would not be very sporting of Oppo Digital. Considering does NOT equal promising. This we both agree on. Were the 205 never to be produced again, I'd guess I'd have to lick my wounds, saddled with the 203 I now own. Oppo Digital made great disc players. I think we both agree on this point as well.

Don't you just wish HDMI would crawl off to some darkened corner and die a sad, lonely death?
post #1157 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 12:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Yes, this is exactly my point.

The $4000 Anthem Prepro uses the same cheap AKM 4458 DAC as the much cheaper NON-AUDIOPHILE Oppo UDP-203.

The $1300 Oppo player uses the latest ESS Sabre DAC. The Anthem is a RIPOFF!!!! They were too cheap to use the much better AKM-4490 Verita DAC. The Anthem is a ripoff!
Isn't the quality of the DAC more about the implementation than simply just the chip itself? Not sure how the DAC chips in the models you mentioned were implemented. We need more double-blind testing in general to determine what sounds better. Specs are nice and all, but ultimately it's what we see and hear that matters.
gsr, KC-Technerd and Saturn94 like this.

LG OLED65B6P
post #1158 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Yup, the Oppos must suck. The 205s are priced at 4-5k on eBay and are selling. And the paint is still fresh on them. Just the facts madam
post #1159 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 11916
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
a company that makes high end units,
-T
good post but I never considered OPPO high end

in fact, maybe if they were high end they would have survived.

Seems their is no mid market in AV anymore and OPPO learned this the hard way.
Madmax67, Airsculpture and drh3b like this.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #1160 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Hi-end everything is doomed. We’ve devolved into the disposable culture we aspired to. This is a very sad day.

DJ
Matt2026 likes this.

2kW fully active, fully balanced 2 channel Vaders

Overkill IS my middle name.
post #1161 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by djreef View Post
Hi-end everything is doomed. We’ve devolved into the disposable culture we aspired to. This is a very sad day.

DJ
not true at all in high end audio but the video world , yeah, for sure. Quality is a word from the past. Cheap is in...ugh!!!
post #1162 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 07:24 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2278 Post(s)
Liked: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop View Post
There have been several posts expressing concern with how Oppo would provide support with no revenue coming in from product sales. If they are doing their accounting properly, and there's no reason to believe they aren't, then a portion of every sale must be deferred to provide warranty support. Not sure how much that would be, I was in the computer industry, but I would guess it would be about 3%. The actual amount would depend on their run rate cost to provide the warranty support. Anyway, doesn't matter, we'll use 3% for the sake of argument. That means that for every $1000 sale, $970 would be recognized into current revenue and $30 would be amortized over the following 24 months, or $1.25/month. This would provide them the funds to deliver warranty support. It would likely get harder to deliver the firmware updates over time as the number of units diminishes, but funding for warranty support should be secure.

Sorry for the accounting lesson, but I did want to make the point that Oppo will have the funds to provide ongoing support and are required to do so. Its not like the company is out of business, they are still operating but just exiting this segment. They can't simply take all the revenue that was deferred for 203/205 support into current revenue, they must use it to fund the support until the last unit comes off warranty.

I for one am not concerned about warranty support as long as the parent company is still a going concern.
All that would be nice if it was an American company that was continuing in business.

It's a Chinese company that is closing down its' only U.S. product line. Do you really think they give a "crap" about U.S. generally accepted accounting principles? Plus, good luck trying to collect on any judgment from a law suit.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
post #1163 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
not true at all in high end audio but the video world , yeah, for sure. Quality is a word from the past. Cheap is in...ugh!!!
Oppo 105/205 was the only product that brought truly transparent high end sound for people who wanted to integrate a sub into an audio system at a price that would not break the bank.

The Oppo also played discs, had HDMI inputs, and the Oppo 105 had streaming apps. It was incredible.

I'm significantly disappointed that I cannot find ANY product that performs as good as the Oppo even going up to $6k.

All I am looking for is a Preamp/DAC that has an adjustable crossover to properly integrate a sub, and preferably HDMI inputs. The Oppo had all that, did the DolbyTrue HD decoding, etc. It was amazing.

I can spend $10k on a product and still have it not perform as well. This makes me sick.

Even if I bought the $35k Paradigm Persona 9H speakers, which have built in subwoofers with sub EQ correction, that would allow me to use a high end 2 channel preamp/DAC, such as the Benchmark DAC3, I realize that while my 2 channel music may sound better than my current system (albeit at more than double its price), I still would not be able to have blu-ray audio discs or SACDs sound as good as the Oppo, as the products with the good DAC implementation are 2 channel only and do not have HDMI input or decode the formats. The Oppo did all that and more.

This really makes me sick.

Emotiva or Parasound should purchase Oppo IP for those products and continue to make them. The Oppo 205 would sell at $2k and still be a relatively good value.
djreef and drh3b like this.
post #1164 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
All that would be nice if it was an American company that was continuing in business.

It's a Chinese company that is closing down its' only U.S. product line. Do you really think they give a "crap" about U.S. generally accepted accounting principles? Plus, good luck trying to collect on any judgment from a law suit.
I hope Oppo didn't screw over U.S. by pulling product line due to recent U.S. political rhetoric on China. If so, this would make me even more sick for reasons I won't go into on this forum.
post #1165 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:

Emotiva or Parasound should purchase Oppo IP for those products and continue to make them. The Oppo 205 would sell at $2k and still be a relatively good value.
And this is exactly why Oppo is getting out of the business. There is no Market for their products.

And if you think the Oppo 205 is still a bargain at $2,000, then I suggest you and a bunch of people at AVS pool your money together, even use some of the fund me websites to get some Capital, take over the product line and sell that 205 for $2,000.

And rest assured, we will be reading threads on avsforum how a group of avsforum members are stopping the production line on their newly purchased Oppo products 🙂

-T
CruelInventions and TravisPNW like this.
post #1166 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

I hope Oppo didn't screw over U.S. by pulling product line due to recent U.S. political rhetoric on China. If so, this would make me even more sick for reasons I won't go into on this forum.

Of course not. I could be wrong, but I think your post was veiled attempt at letting people know your political leanings. And no one cares what your leanings might be.

Is it so difficult to understand that there's no market for their product? I mean honestly, we've got one guy in here saying the 205 could sell at $2,000 and still be a bargain.

We don't have to look for reasons why they're getting out of them business. The reasons are clear as day.

-T
mtrot and RagtopFE like this.
post #1167 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
And this is exactly why Oppo is getting out of the business. There is no Market for their products.

And if you think the Oppo 205 is still a bargain at $2,000, then I suggest you and a bunch of people at AVS pool your money together, even use some of the fund me websites to get some Capital, take over the product line and sell that 205 for $2,000.

And rest assured, we will be reading threads on avsforum how a group of avsforum members are stopping the production line on their newly purchased Oppo products 🙂

-T
The $2k was exaggeration - the point was that there is no preamp/DAC that sounds as good as the Oppo that has an adjustable crossover and decodes all the formats when you have digitial only sources, as most people do today.

When you look at the 205 exclusively at a 4K player and nothing else, it doesn't seem like a bargain. But it offers so much more than just being a player.

The only reason why I didn't buy 2 of these earlier on was that Oppo chose not to include streaming. I suspect that the big players played hard ball to make it difficult for Oppo to get streaming apps, since the 103/105 did so well. This appears to have worked, which is severely disappointing. I hate being stuck with inferior products or having to spend like I am in the top 1% to get good sound quality.
post #1168 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
I LOL'ed.... really?

I guess I'm in the minority then because I've bought 60+ UHD discs in 2 months of OLED ownership... and I've got the LG 970 player because I didn't feel the Oppo 203 was worth 3 times the cost. $100 or so I'd probably have got it... but $179 vs $559 I didn't see the value. I didn't need anything but a BR player and could give a rats about all the extra features on the Oppo that most people including myself just don't care about.

The extra money is (and was) better spent on UHD discs.

With nearly $5B in annual sales (according to someone's chart posted upthread) I doubt physical media is going away in the near future. That's still a ton of cash the studios are gonna keep milking as long as they can.

P.S.

I haven't spent 1 nickel on digital purchases outside of a Netflix sub that I stream some TV shows off of. When I want a movie, I buy the disc.

So you bought a cheap LG which makes you partly responsible for Oppo's demise.

5B annual sales is mostly Blu rays and still a lot of DVD's.
Over here in Europe a new UHD release is north of 34 euro's (about $40) the UHD bins at retail shops are miniscule and one of the online shops doesn't even list the UHD category as a separate menu item. (Need to setup a filter to be able to list them)

Favorite series are in the bargain bin for peanuts by the time these disappear from the streaming service.

Another trend is that some very good content is streaming services exclusive already. (Netflix)

Stereo is simply Multichannel light.
post #1169 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Of course not. I could be wrong, but I think your post was veiled attempt at letting people know your political leanings. And no one cares what your leanings might be.

Is it so difficult to understand that there's no market for their product? I mean honestly, we've got one guy in here saying the 205 could sell at $2,000 and still be a bargain.

We don't have to look for reasons why they're getting out of them business. The reasons are clear as day.

-T
What reasons are clear as day? If it is so clear, than I challenge you to find me a 2.1 channel DAC/preamp with adjustable sub crossover that sounds as good as the Oppo when connected directly to high end amps and speakers? If it is so clear, then please enlighten us.
post #1170 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Oppo 105/205 was the only product that brought truly transparent high end sound for people who wanted to integrate a sub into an audio system at a price that would not break the bank.

The Oppo also played discs, had HDMI inputs, and the Oppo 105 had streaming apps. It was incredible.

I'm significantly disappointed that I cannot find ANY product that performs as good as the Oppo even going up to $6k.

All I am looking for is a Preamp/DAC that has an adjustable crossover to properly integrate a sub, and preferably HDMI inputs. The Oppo had all that, did the DolbyTrue HD decoding, etc. It was amazing.

I can spend $10k on a product and still have it not perform as well. This makes me sick.

Even if I bought the $35k Paradigm Persona 9H speakers, which have built in subwoofers with sub EQ correction, that would allow me to use a high end 2 channel preamp/DAC, such as the Benchmark DAC3, I realize that while my 2 channel music may sound better than my current system (albeit at more than double its price), I still would not be able to have blu-ray audio discs or SACDs sound as good as the Oppo, as the products with the good DAC implementation are 2 channel only and do not have HDMI input or decode the formats. The Oppo did all that and more.

This really makes me sick.

Yes, this is why I'm looking for a pre-amp with home theater bypass, i.e., so that I can continue to use my Oppo 203 to play SACD and DVD-Audio via my Denon AVR, but use the pre-amp for my two channel listening. The reviews on the Anthem STR pre-amp are pretty good, but you have raised questions about their choice of DAC, so I want to be careful before spending $4500 on one. I wish I knew the quality of the DAC in the McIntosh C47.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page