Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke. - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11122Likes

post #1171 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Oppo should have taken what they had in the 205 and made a proper Preamp/Processor by adding Dirac Room Correction, Atmos, multiple digital inputs, etc. to the 205. If they did that, and increased the price to $2-2.5k, their product would have compared favorably and sold better than anything from Marantz, NAD, Emotiva, Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, etc.

It had the makings to be a proper AV Preamp/Processor to blow the competition out of the water where there certainly is a market. It would have sold.
mbroadus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
Yes, this is why I'm looking for a pre-amp with home theater bypass, i.e., so that I can continue to use my Oppo 203 to play SACD and DVD-Audio via my Denon AVR, but use the pre-amp for my two channel listening. The reviews on the Anthem STR pre-amp are pretty good, but you have raised questions about their choice of DAC, so I want to be careful before spending $4500 on one. I wish I knew the quality of the DAC in the McIntosh C47.
I have personally found McIntosh products to sound warm, muddy, and veiled, but that was products like 8 years ago. They are solid, built to last, and pack a solid punch.
partcrash likes this.
post #1173 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
Yes, this is why I'm looking for a pre-amp with home theater bypass, i.e., so that I can continue to use my Oppo 203 to play SACD and DVD-Audio via my Denon AVR, but use the pre-amp for my two channel listening. The reviews on the Anthem STR pre-amp are pretty good, but you have raised questions about their choice of DAC, so I want to be careful before spending $4500 on one. I wish I knew the quality of the DAC in the McIntosh C47.
The Parasound Halo Integrated has a good little preamp with ESS Sabre DACs, but it includes the amp. The DAC in the P5 is not as good as that in their Integrated. The better P7 and JC2 have no DACs, and the JC2 has no sub integration. I hope Parasound fills the gap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2867 Post(s)
Liked: 1829
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
Kaleidescape and Classe made similar announcements and both were rescued with fresh funding/ purchase of the product line in a relatively short time

based on the response to this thread, I would think the chances are pretty good that OPPO BD players may somehow be resurrected...
Indeed!

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #1175 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtam2005 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

Of course not. I could be wrong, but I think your post was veiled attempt at letting people know your political leanings. And no one cares what your leanings might be.

Is it so difficult to understand that there's no market for their product? I mean honestly, we've got one guy in here saying the 205 could sell at $2,000 and still be a bargain.

We don't have to look for reasons why they're getting out of them business. The reasons are clear as day.

-T
What reasons are clear as day? If it is so clear, than I challenge you to find me a 2.1 channel DAC/preamp with adjustable sub crossover that sounds as good as the Oppo when connected directly to high end amps and speakers? If it is so clear, then please enlighten us.
Luckily for me, I can leverage your post to do the work for me.

This always happens in these kinds of threads. Someone like me and the others mentioned that there's a niche market... And Company stays afloat because they need sales. And if that niche market is not large enough to generate the sales for the company to stay afloat, then they have to stop producing those products. Those are the reasons. Those are the reasons why they are not making the products anymore.

Challenge me? My response back is who cares? You generate a list of people who need the capabilities that you just enumerated. Then look at that list of people and determine if that list is sufficient in number, assuming they all purchased product from Oppo, to keep that company's product line going.

But... Let's keep this going for a few more paragraphs...

Blu-ray player that is a preamp... Who uses that? A preamp has to feed something. I know this one... an amp 🙂

So the use case is for someone's home theater that has one Oppo player, one dedicated amp.

I thought my Onkyo RZ series AVR has adjustable crossovers, it has a DAC, and is better sounding than the Oppo DAC. Which reinforces my point that there is no Market for those features in a Blu-ray player. Most everyone has a receiver. Most everyone now is feeding that receiver with HDMI cables. And the receiver does all of the DAC work. Few have dedicated amps... At least not sufficient in number to keep the Oppo line going.

Your 2.1 scenario is old and tired. The market moved on. Find another soultion. Hell, I want to use my Xbox one S Plex app to direct play (bitstream lossless 3D audio and video)... But it cannot. So I found another solution.

-T
post #1176 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
I’m not really worried about support although I’m sure there will be a cutoff at some point. The company isn’t going bankrupt and as a whole is solid so it’s not like they are disappearing. If they were going bankrupt then I’d be concerned.

I believe they could also be legally required to support these products for a certain amount of time or they could potentially risk a class action suit which I’m sure the company doesn’t want.

I’m still hoping another company like Cambridge which makes perfect sense or Toshiba buys them because the technology is too good to just disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The PERFECT company to assume OPPO would be EMOTIVA!
THAT would rock my world to The max!!!!
In fact that would be a perfect match!
Mickboy
djreef likes this.

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #1177 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboy View Post
The PERFECT company to assume OPPO would be EMOTIVA!

THAT would rock my world to The max!!!!

In fact that would be a perfect match!

Mickboy

Cambridge already has a working relationship with Oppo and why I think they make the most sense to take over Oppo Digital if anyone is going to. Their 4k player is basically a 203 clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djreef and Philip To like this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #1178 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Btw, thank you to whoever suggested local Magnolia / Best Buy might have some of the 205s left. They didn’t advertise it, but my local store had “a very limited number” of 205s left at retail price and they were selling “two per hour” or so. They were out of 203s already. I grabbed one 205 and will sell privately my 203 which I bought directly from Oppo when it comes in next week.

So ... if you are in the states and you want a 205- act fast and you might get one.

Edit: thank you @dnoonie
KC-Technerd and dnoonie like this.

Last edited by partcrash; 04-08-2018 at 09:18 AM.
post #1179 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by partcrash View Post
Yup, the Oppos must suck. The 205s are priced at 4-5k on eBay and are selling. And the paint is still fresh on them. Just the facts madam
People overpaying for stuff on eBay has been happening since day 1. Its fine, its their money but if you just spent $5000 on a UHD player that will eventually(sooner than later in this industry) be outdated and unsupported..... oh boy. I got some ocean front property for a great price available in Kansas type of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
not true at all in high end audio but the video world , yeah, for sure. Quality is a word from the past. Cheap is in...ugh!!!
Why do you say this regarding video? We have extremely high performing TVs right now that arent exactly cheap to most people. OLEDs and the best LCDs are top performers. They arent "throw away" items at all. They are built well and provide a helluva experience for home use. They also get regular updates and support. There are also great projectors out there, big screens, etc, etc. OK so maybe we took a little hit on the high-end UHD market with Oppo bowing out. But that hardly means there isnt any good video products out there. C'mon.

Most decent UHD players do a great job with PQ and AQ overall. Sure, some people get a bad one or whatever and they arent built like steel bricks aka the "old days" of gear. But they get the job done. If they didnt then Oppo wouldnt be exiting the business and there'd probably be other mfgers offering high end players. The market speaks, everytime.

I think whats happening here is that the cost of making high-end stuff is coming down which is a function of technology advancements. Also, mid-range products are now just as good as older generation high-end products. Thats also a product of time and technology improving. This happens in any industry.

So I dont get your point here....????
CruelInventions likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #1180 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterofpain View Post
I just don't understand how a lot of you think; it's like you're living in a dream world where Oppo is providing you with the essentials of life - "It's my precious!" These Oppos are NOT going to be collector items in the realm of home video - even if 4K HDR on BR is the last physical format, you're already behind the 8 ball since HDMI 2.1 is about to roll out. Furthermore, the Oppo's DAC is superior to most other player's DAC, but that's about all it has going against the $99 players (yes, I know you're excited about touching the metal case, and hearing that smooth motor suck in the robust tray) - 4K is 4K is 4K. I will put my $99 LG UHD player against any Oppo in a double blind test and no difference will be noticed, assuming both display sources are equal. But, no, just keep telling your wife that the 2-3 extra Oppos you bought are a sound investment for the future. Seriously, can we have sense of logic in this forum - it appears to only be filled with emotion and waxing nostalgic over some overpriced no-name (to the rest of the world) Chinese junk.... like the junk that everyone else, including me has, except we didn't overpay for it.
👻👎👇😹
muzz and djreef like this.

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
post #1181 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
People overpaying for stuff on eBay has been happening since day 1. Its fine, its their money but if you just spent $5000 on a UHD player that will eventually(sooner than later in this industry) be outdated and unsupported..... oh boy. I got some ocean front property for a great price available in Kansas type of thing.

Why do you say this regarding video? We have extremely high performing TVs right now that arent exactly cheap to most people. OLEDs and the best LCDs are top performers. They arent "throw away" items at all. They are built well and provide a helluva experience for home use. They also get regular updates and support. There are also great projectors out there, big screens, etc, etc. OK so maybe we took a little hit on the high-end UHD market with Oppo bowing out. But that hardly means there isnt any good video products out there. C'mon.

Most decent UHD players do a great job with PQ and AQ overall. Sure, some people get a bad one or whatever and they arent built like steel bricks aka the "old days" of gear. But they get the job done. If they didnt then Oppo wouldnt be exiting the business and there'd probably be other mfgers offering high end players. The market speaks, everytime.

I think whats happening here is that the cost of making high-end stuff is coming down which is a function of technology advancements. Also, mid-range products are now just as good as older generation high-end products. Thats also a product of time and technology improving. This happens in any industry.

So I dont get your point here....????
point is most high end audio is hand built with great customer service. Most Video is made cheap with a few exceptions and customer service leaves a lot to be desired. OLEDS are built cheap with expensive panels as are some of the higher priced LCD's. A breeze could knock most of them over so hanging them on some sort of mount is pretty much a necessity.Blu ray players are empty boxes with a tiny board and few features. The lack of necessary FW updates makes them disposable, so most are tossed for a newer one. OPPO's on the other hand are quality built, great customer service, and regular updates to make them last for years and then some.
llang269 and Jbhur212 like this.
post #1182 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 10:38 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2278 Post(s)
Liked: 1919
Quote:

Of course not. I could be wrong, but I think your post was veiled attempt at letting people know your political leanings. And no one cares what your leanings might be.

Is it so difficult to understand that there's no market for their product? I mean honestly, we've got one guy in here saying the 205 could sell at $2,000 and still be a bargain.

We don't have to look for reasons why they're getting out of them business. The reasons are clear as day.

-T
Your quote was incorrectly formatted in such a way that made it appear I wrote the following: "I hope Oppo didn't screw over U.S. by pulling product line due to recent U.S. political rhetoric on China. If so, this would make me even more sick for reasons I won't go into on this forum."

I didn't write that. If you are going to attack a person's "political leanings", attack the right person!

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite

Last edited by rlb; 04-08-2018 at 10:44 AM.
post #1183 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Quote:

-T
Your quote was incorrectly formatted in such a way that made it appear I wrote the following: "I hope Oppo didn't screw over U.S. by pulling product line due to recent U.S. political rhetoric on China. If so, this would make me even more sick for reasons I won't go into on this forum."

I didn't write that. If you are going to attack a person's "political leanings", attack the right person!
I am just a monkey on a keyboard. I clicked the quote Icon, and then I reply. Avsforum does the rest 🙂

Now it just so happens that the post I quoted was a post that already had a quote in it. But AVSorum is pretty clear about keeping things straight.

In fact I went back to what I posted, and everything looks fine to me. I know exactly who said what. I'm on my phone and the quotes are color-coded.

Finally, I attacked no one... But to be honest, that would not be the first time I saw someone trying to subtly tell us what their political leanings are. Calling someone out for subtly telling us with their political leanings are cannot be construed as an attack... I was very polite when I said it.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming where we discuss how Oppo is killing its production line... And no one really understands why... If only Oppo understood the needs of the avsforum members... They would see they are creating havoc on us... And they should be willing to take heavy losses just to keep the avsforum members happy.

I think that's a pretty good summary thus far 🙂. And no, I'm not saying you said any of that. I just happened to be adding on my own editorial on top of a post I quoted.

-T
post #1184 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked: 3586
please lets not let the SNR go down

thanks

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #1185 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I think that's what is really going on here, is that the MBAs, whatever they call them in China, have demanded that the people, equipment and factory floor now devoted to a low margin, low volume products, disk players, DACs, headphones, et al, be redirected to their high margin, high volume products, smartphones.

Money talks.

I've been a loyal Oppo customer since the 970 and I now own a 203, so:
Quote:
yes, I know you're excited about touching the metal case, and hearing that smooth motor suck in the robust tray
Yes!!!
sdrucker, mickboy and djreef like this.
post #1186 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
Making a trip into the US in a couple of weeks, be nice to pick one up in Oregon and save the tax... I tried to enter Portland Oregon as a location, couldn't get a store to come up?

Here you go Al - the only Magnolia in the Portland area that I know of. It's < 45 minutes from the airport:

Magnolia Home Theater in Best Buy at Gresham Station

Quote:
1148 NW Norman Ave
Gresham, OR 97030

(503) 465-0195
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
The Cascade Station and Jantzen Beach Best Buy stores in Portland OR have Magnolia Centers. There may be more.

I stand corrected. Cascade Station is basically AT the airport and just off I-205. Jantzen Beach is just off I-5 on the right southbound as you cross over the Columbia River into Oregon.

The Seth-o-Plex 2.0 Build Thread - featuring Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 9.4.4 & 4K Dolby Vision!
Vizio | Dual Denon Atmos AVRs | Oppo | SVS | Mirage | Onkyo | Monoprice

Last edited by stikle; 04-08-2018 at 11:14 AM.
post #1187 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
Here you go Al - the only Magnolia in the Portland area that I know of. It's < 45 minutes from the airport:

Magnolia Home Theater in Best Buy at Gresham Station

I stand corrected. Cascade Station is basically AT the airport and just off I-205. Jantzen Beach is just off I-5 on the right southbound as you cross over the Columbia River into Oregon.
Awesome. this gives me something to work with, thanks guys!

Al
post #1188 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I thought my Onkyo RZ series AVR has adjustable crossovers, it has a DAC, and is better sounding than the Oppo DAC.
The Onkyo RZ series has the same AK4458 DAC as the Oppo 203, which is not considered high-end. The ES9038PRO found in the Oppo 205 is arguably the best performing DAC on the market right now and costs exactly 15 times more, has a much better implementation coupled with a massive toroidal power transformer. The Oppo 205 is in a whole different league than your Onkyo regarding sound quality.

Last edited by dimi123; 04-08-2018 at 11:59 AM.
post #1189 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Hey Al, have you checked all the Canadian Oppo dealers?
Local to me is Solutions AV. Unfortunately they were out of 205's.
I put a Quebec postal code into Oppo's dealer finder and found two Quebec dealers. I bought the last 205 from Quebec Acoustic Thursday night. As of Thursday night, Fillion Electronique still had one, plus their floor demo. You could contact them.
If you put postal codes for other Canadian cities into the Oppo dealer finder you might find others with stock. Most of these dealers ship across Canada. Quebec Acoustic charged me $20 to ship to Ontario.
Cheers

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
post #1190 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi123 View Post
Quote:
I thought my Onkyo RZ series AVR has adjustable crossovers, it has a DAC, and is better sounding than the Oppo DAC.
The Onkyo RZ series has the same AK4458 DAC as the Oppo 203, which is not considered high-end. The ES9038PRO found in the Oppo 205 is arguably the best performing DAC on the market right now and costs exactly 15 times more, has a much better implementation coupled with a massive toroidal power transformer. The Oppo 205 is in a whole different league than your Onkyo regarding sound quality.
75 bucks vs 5 bucks. The DACs are more expensive, that's for sure.

Better sounding than my Onkyo's DACs? On paper, yes. To the human ear once it is added to an audio chain? Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on the chain.

Maybe if Oppo used the DACs (like the DACs found in my Onkyo RZ and similarly priced D&M AVRs), they could have lowered the price point on their most expensive units. By at least $70.

Holy cow, percentage wise, that's a huge percentage off of the asking price for their player. Could have even been a make-or-break point is success.

But alas, they chose not to go that way. Maybe if they could go back in time and rethink that decision, they may change it.

-T
post #1191 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
I highly doubt OPPO was paying anywhere near $75 for that DAC.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #1192 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Better sounding than my Onkyo's DACs? On paper, yes. To the human ear once it is added to an audio chain? Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on the chain.

Maybe if Oppo used the DACs (like the DACs found in my Onkyo RZ and similarly priced D&M AVRs), they could have lowered the price point on their most expensive units. By at least $70.

Holy cow, percentage wise, that's a huge percentage off of the asking price for their player. Could have even been a make-or-break point is success.

But alas, they chose not to go that way. Maybe if they could go back in time and rethink that decision, they may change it.

-T

They already have that in the 203. What would be the point to implement the same DAC's in the 205? By the way there are two ES9038PRO DACs in the 205.
post #1193 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
Liked: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by partcrash View Post
Yup, the Oppos must suck. The 205s are priced at 4-5k on eBay and are selling.
No, they hardly suck but I'm sorry that's just dumb.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 04-08-2018 at 01:08 PM.
post #1194 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

-T

They already have that in the 203. What would be the point to implement the same DAC's in the 205? By the way there are two ES9038PRO DACs in the 205.
I looked up the price of the DAC on the internet and it said $75 for quantity 2. I'm sure Oppo was getting it for much cheaper.

Okay, let me get this straight. I'm going to be thinking out loud...

So they have the cheaper DAC already in the 203, and what would be the purpose of also sticking it in the 205 like I suggested?

Oh, I don't know, maybe to keep costs down so they'll stay in business long enough to keep drlivering a product. That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other reasons.

I don't know, maybe they saw the movie Field of Dreams. And they got stuck with the Mantra build it and they will buy. Slight modification from the movie mantra but appropriate in this case.

Sometimes if you build a product, you have to know if there's an audience for that product. At the end of the day, they could not compete.

I could be wrong, but I believe this is the first time a company has lost out to the competition. Wait, I just thought about something. Blockbuster did not see the writing on the wall, got their butts kicked by Netflix. Even with the great features of Blockbuster like getting a movie at any time. Everyone passes a Blockbuster on the way home from work.

Now I find myself using Redbox more than Netflix. Every weekend I get a movie for $0.80 Blu-ray. Redbox kiosks are ubiquitous. I bet Netflix did not see that coming.

Oppo delivered a very nice product, although many here thought it was over priced. Especially because it did not supply the features that they needed. And here we are.

-T
post #1195 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 49
It is so sad that OPPO is going out of business and for not a good reason. They essentially do not have any competition and were default choice for audiophiles. I own Oppo-105 for several years and it proved to be irreplaceable workhorse in my audio/video system. I have a minimal configuration so OPPO serves as hi end universal disk player/prepro/DAC/preamp. I was thinking about replacing it with two components - optical disk drive with digital audio output and 5.1 channel DAC/preamp. But there is nothing on market to consider other than OPPO 205 and now its going out of sale too. I do not care much about video part of Oppo 205 though it is nice to have 4K playback - I would buy 205 just for its audio capabilities which are ideally suited for multichannel set up. For me it would be natural to replace Oppo 105 with Benchmark DAC3 since my front L/R amp is Benchmark AHB2. In combination with Oppo 105's superior audio sound is super clean over DefTech STL which are also very linear hi end speakers with built-in subs. DAC3 while cost over $2000 is only two channel and utilizes ESS9028PRO which is a notch below Oppo 205's higher end ESS9038PRO. Of course at that hi end point difference in sound (most noise/distortions which are already very low on both ESS9028PRO and ESS9038PRO) would be hardly noticeable and besides chip alone is not enough. There is also how clock and signal handled and lot of other finer points of audio component design. It might be that 205 is not as good as DAC3 despite of having higher end DAC. But still - Oppo decodes and feeds 7.1 channels and can be easily configured for surround sound (which is much better that stereo) and player every format that exist. So yes Oppo 205 will be greatly missed.

Of course there is always option to buy AVR but after owning Marantz which turned out to be an utter garbage I am not enticed to go this path again.
RichB and djreef like this.

Source/Dac/Pre: OPPO-105
Fronts: Benchmark AHB2 -> DefTech Mythos ST-Ls
Surrounds: Parasound Halo A23 -> DefTech Mythos Gems
post #1196 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I looked up the price of the DAC on the internet and it said $75 for quantity 2. I'm sure Oppo was getting it for much cheaper.

So they have the cheaper DAC already in the 203, and what would be the purpose of also sticking it in the 205 like I suggested?

Oh, I don't know, maybe to keep costs down so they'll stay in business long enough to keep drlivering a product. That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other reasons.

I don't know, maybe they saw the movie Field of Dreams. And they got stuck with the Mantra build it and they will buy. Slight modification from the movie mantra but appropriate in this case.

Sometimes if you build a product, you have to know if there's an audience for that product. At the end of the day, they could not compete.

I could be wrong, but I believe this is the first time a company has lost out to the competition. Wait, I just thought about something. Blockbuster did not see the writing on the wall, got their butts kicked by Netflix. Even with the great features of Blockbuster like getting a movie at any time. Everyone passes a Blockbuster on the way home from work.

Now I find myself using Redbox more than Netflix. Every weekend I get a movie for $0.80 Blu-ray. Redbox kiosks are ubiquitous. I bet Netflix did not see that coming.

Oppo delivered a very nice product, although many here thought it was over priced. Especially because it did not supply the features that they needed. And here we are.

-T
You are wrong on that. It's $75 for a quantity of 1. The DACs and the analogue audio section, as well as the toroidal power transformer is what separates the 205 from the 203. As already mentioned, you can't find a quality preamp anywhere near the price of the 205.
post #1197 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Will enjoy my OPPO 203 till it becomes obsolete. Then I will buy something else.
Could care less about the what ifs and the if they did this they would still be in business. They are still in business and it's all about one thing. Profitability. The almighty dollar.

Could care less about another company chasing $$$

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
vardo and Madmax67 like this.
post #1198 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Maybe Pioneer Elite can step up to the plate. The FD51 and 05 Elite players i have are still going strong. Seems they went down hill after making them players back around 2008. Guess we will have to get another brand.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #1199 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
BiggAW
^ The other problem, of course, is that Nothing Lasts Forever on streaming.

Want to revisit that streamed flick you liked so much 3 years ago? Don't be surprised if it simply isn't available anymore, or is only available in a more compressed (smaller size -- lower quality) streaming transfer.

Discs don't do that. Nor are they affected by congestion problems on the Internet during prime viewing hours.
--Bob
True, stuff comes and goes. I wouldn't want to purchase stuff digitally, as who knows when it could be revoked. Digital formats can come and go too, but they do last a lot longer, and you can still get VHS and Betamax players if you really want to.

Internet congestion isn't something I'd worry about though. Any decent ISP will be fine bandwidth wise.
post #1200 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

-T
You are wrong on that. It's $75 for a quantity of 1. The DACs and the analogue audio section, as well as the toroidal power transformer is what separates the 205 from the 203. As already mentioned, you can't find a quality preamp anywhere near the price of the 205.
And neither will you because the 205 is slated for extinction. &#x1f642;

We can go round and round on what's the best, what's the best that's audible, and what's the best value.

Why do YOU think Oppo is halting it's business? Is because the consumer lacked sufficient knowledge to understand the value proposition of the Oppo players? Was it because it was a niche market? Was it because they could not compete with the companies that also sold TV, AVRs, etc?

I contend the products lacked name recongution: "Oppo? What's that? Buy the Samsung or Sony... We know them"

I contend they lacked value. Value is defined by the product characteristics that are important to the consumer. Hi performance Torroids? Best DACs in the business? Important to me... But NOT if they are in a Blu-ray player. I am not alone.

That's why Oppo is instinct.

-T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page