Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke. - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11122Likes

post #1231 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 05:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked: 8335
^ OPPO has made no public statement committing to future, HDR10+ support yet.

As with all cases of possible future features, you should make your buying decisions under the assumption they will NOT happen. Then you can be pleasantly surprised if it does.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
AFAIK, Oppo has not said anything about supporting HDR10+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ OPPO has made no public statement committing to future, HDR10+ support yet.

As with all cases of possible future features, you should make your buying decisions under the assumption they will NOT happen. Then you can be pleasantly surprised if it does.
--Bob
Thank you!

post #1233 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 133
From HDTVtest website. The whole article is here:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/so-lo...1804034553.htm

Update (April 3rd, 2018): Jason Liao, CTO of OPPO Digital, took the time to respond to HDTVTest‘s questions regarding this news, and has clarified several important points. He stresses that while OPPO will not be introducing any new products, it is not disappearing, and will continue to support its existing customers and range of disc players, headphones and speaker.
When asked what prompted OPPO’s decision to stop product development, Jason noted that no single reason influenced the decision. However, he stated that it was carefully chosen to come at a time when development of its UHD disc players had already been accomplished.
Regarding future improvements, OPPO mentioned that a firmware update to support Dolby Vision with Sony TVs is currently being tested by Dolby, which suggests that it has largely been completed. Support for the upcoming HDR10+ standard is being investigated, and hinges on whether or not the current hardware is capable of decoding the metadata and passing the information on to the display. OPPO assures us that if the hardware can do it, support will indeed be added by firmware.
To us, HDR10+ support being added to OPPO’s players seems likely. The company’s renowned customer service, close relationship with Mediatek, and the engineering ingenuity we mentioned earlier in the article, all give us confidence. Additionally, our current understanding is that the HDR10+ metadata is carried via the existing SEI message feature that is already part of the HEVC video standard, suggesting that changes on the playback side should be minimal. Of course, we’ll have to wait and see what ultimately transpires.
aaronwt, CFoote, Bill Mac and 13 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Just ordered a 203 from Oppo site. I’m basing my decision on my experience with my 103 which has been flawless. I was thinking in the 205 but the 203 will be substituting the 103 which I got sending bitstream signal to my pre/pro which do all the processing. I play more music (SACD) than anything else but I guess now I will spin some 4k movies to see the full potential of my Samsung KS8000FXZA.
Let see who pick up the slack………..
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Samsung 65KS8000FXZA, Roku 4, Marantz AV-7703, Emotiva XPA-5 GEN 3, PSA MTM-210 L/R, PSA MTM-210C, PSA MT-110SR, PSA Dual 15V, OPPO UDP-203, Technics SL-1210 MK5, Denon DL110, Nova Phonomena, APC H15
post #1235 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I was in a hi-fi store today to listen to some speakers I'm considering buying. The topic of Oppo came up and the guy told me that he had tried several times to get Oppo products in his store, but Oppo always said they already had a dealer in Ontario and they didn't need another. Now, not to criticize Oppo's Toronto dealer, I've dealt with them and they were nice enough, but they are pretty much internet only and basically do nothing to market the Oppo products. You can only go to their physical location with an appointment, and when you get there they have no product of any kind to demo. Hardly the best way to maximize sales of a relatively high end product.

I think Oppo could have managed their channel better. A dealer posted above that there was only $100 dealer margin in the 205. I worked with the channel for years. They are coin-operated and if you understand that and treat them right and you have a good product, they will sell a ton of product for you. I'm not sure Oppo understood that model, or maybe they just weren't interested.

I've owned owned 4 of their products and have a 205 coming next week. It's disappointing that they are dropping their hi-fi products. They have always had great products and I think that with better marketing and a workable channel distribution model they might have been able to operate a very profitable hi-fi division. My 2 cents only.
Madmax67 likes this.

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
post #1236 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 497
I don't know what we will do once OPPO is out of the 203 and 205's. Pioneer is not the same like it was was when i got my ELITE DV59-AVI and FD51 and FD05 BD players. Seems most are cheap under $100 players being sold today.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #1237 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I don't know what we will do once OPPO is out of the 203 and 205's. Pioneer is not the same like it was was when i got my ELITE DV59-AVI and FD51 and FD05 BD players. Seems most are cheap under $100 players being sold today.
As of today there is no comparable product for build quality and first and foremost support. If Oppo would not exist I probably would own a Sony or Panasonic player.

post #1238 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Park View Post
As of today there is no comparable product for build quality and first and foremost support. If Oppo would not exist I probably would own a Sony or Panasonic player.
I bought a cheap Sony that could play B disc for cheap at 220 Electrions and it has been fine.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #1239 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtam2005 View Post
Oppo should have developed a cheaper version of the UDP 203 that did not have analog outputs, had 2 HDMI output, included streaming apps, had the same video quality of the 203/205, and included the anti-jitter for the HDMI output that the 205 has.

That would have been the competitive and volume seller to those with AVRs/processors. Many people with AVRs/processors did not want to pay for the added features of the 203 over the Sony X-800.

It is easy to best the audio performance of the 203 in many higher end AVRs and pre/pros. The 205 was something special. The SNR was off the chart. The ESS Sabre was really something special - transparent and revealing like no other DAC I have heard.

I hope someone picks up the pieces and fills the loss for the amazing analog performance the 105/205 had. It doesn't have to be a physical media player.
a lot of consumers felt the same way about Pioneer's Kuro tv's. Why not make a cheaper model?
The didn't and neither is OPPO?
Guess they didn't feel a cheaper product was the solution to keep things going. Keep it the best it can be until the end...
post #1240 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Losers want Lame, they are good with, not the same quality,.... streaming? Lmfao

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #1241 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Well i just placed a order for three 203's. Most peeps have never even heard of OPPO. I will never stream and will always use disk players So now i got three in case my two 83s die or my 103.
I have a 203 and I have been considering ordering a back-up 203.

My guess is possibly the next big tech will be 8K players, TV and discs. Until then, two 203's should keep me going.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #1242 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2312 Post(s)
Liked: 2605
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I see I might be in the minority in this discussion. It makes total sense to me. How many times have you come across a poster at AVS who's not going to spend the extra 50 bucks on the next model up of a graphics card because there's no bang for the buck?
Leads right into my "hope for gain or fear of loss" buying motives. Closing ratios on higher specced cars was always higher but with a smaller group of the buying public. Get me an engineer or a car enthusiast who tooled the local track on the weekends and I'd sell them at a higher closing percentage than the entry to mid level shopper because they knew what a car axle's gear ratio and horsepower to weight rating meant and that increased their perceived value for the product based on their needs/wants(very few buy just off of one of those 2.)

I've found that the "bang for the buck" is always in knowing more than what the brochure tells you you should know.

I'm a pretty average AVS consumer and I always buy more processing power than I might need in my computers because not needing it today doesn't mean I won't need it tomorrow. Do the same thing with storage but I go SSD for my main hard drive and HDD for my auxiliary. Point being I have the information to know why each one benefits me in different ways so the added expense isn't a problem.

Quote:
You think everybody is running out and buying gtx-1080 graphics cards? Using The Mousetrap analogy, that's one hell of a card. Is it overkill for what most people need? Of course. That's why they don't buy it. But Nvidia has plenty of other products that they sell that keeps them in business. It's not all about the 1080.
If we're talking most then most people don't know what the Hell they are buying in the first place be it cars, graphic cards or electronics. We had the saying "people are sheepple" in sales and it's the truth. Didn't make them dumb just a part of a larger less interested collective group that go along to get along with most everything. OPPO would have never gotten them anyways because they couldn't spend the advertising dollars necessary to raise their heads up off of their plates at the dinner table.

Quote:
Oppo had limited product lines.
That's because they chose to do that. None of that is ever on accident with a company that complete( meaning they get that it's not just at the point of sale that they could have an impact on their products value.)

Quote:
More often than not, it is about the money.
-T
Respectfully, no it's not. It's about the PERCEPTION of the money buying you more value than cost. The minute the former exceeds the latter you have a commitment to buy. We once have a car sit on the lot for almost 2 years. We kept lowering the price more and more on its sales tag and fewer people seemed interested. Got a new sales director as our business often did and he swapped out the old red tag for a newer larger one with a separate smaller tag covering the new price with a question mark. Had multiple inquiries as to its cost and the 3rd or 4th ones ended up buying the car. It was a few hundred dollars higher than our older sales tag but it was presented in a way that built value for the eventual owner. We still lost money on the deal just less so than the last price.

Other examples over the years regarding a pair of floor mats or a few oil change closing deals where higher cost dollar discounts didn't. It's never about the money. That's the first thing you learn in sales if you're going to make a career of it. It's about the perception of what that money is buying you. That was true in 1986 when I first got in sales and it was still true in 2009 when I finally left in another capacity.

Lastly I'll say this because I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about anything as that's a fruitless endeavor on the internet where folks don't really know one another and where actually seeing someone face to face most times helps with seeing their point of view better(talking both ways.)

What little I know about OPPO tells me they started out being the company they wanted to be and they ended the same way. 14 years in a Cadillac/Lexus style customer service mode is a lifetime for most other companies with over seas customer support staff who barely know the companies name they work for let alone it's products and offer pretty standard "we'll get to you when we're damn good and ready to" updates to their products.

Something doesn't have to last forever to be labeled a success and something that lasts forever can still be a failure. Blockbuster corporate I was very familiar with as I worked about 100 yards from their Southwest corporate office and distribution hub and sold them vehicles. Those dudes were more clueless than Alicia Silverstone. I highly doubt anyone at OPPO corporate was that half brained because they actually designed and manufactured something unlike Blockbuster who just distributed other manufactures product. Doesn't mean they couldn't have made mistakes. I just doubt barring any of those mistakes would have bought them another 14 years. Good discussion though.
no1special likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #1243 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
The catch is the Magnolia store has to a "Design Center" store which are not very common.
Lots of BB's have a Magnolia Store but they're not a Design Center.
Yup, I've been in both and those Design center guys know their stuff.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #1244 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
a lot of consumers felt the same way about Pioneer's Kuro tv's. Why not make a cheaper model?
The didn't and neither is OPPO?
Guess they didn't feel a cheaper product was the solution to keep things going. Keep it the best it can be until the end...
I hate to jump to a car analogy, because I know it's overused when comparing to audio equipment. However, a certain high performance German car manufacturer back in the mid to late 90's had to make a decision to stay solvent, because they were facing an uncertain financial future. They considered their options, but in short - they had to come up with an entry level model in order to actually stay in business. The faithful have looked down upon these models, but it was those models (at least at that point in time) that kept the company in business.
partcrash likes this.
post #1245 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post
I hate to jump to a car analogy, because I know it's overused when comparing to audio equipment. However, a certain high performance German car manufacturer back in the mid to late 90's had to make a decision to stay solvent, because they were facing an uncertain financial future. They considered their options, but in short - they had to come up with an entry level model in order to actually stay in business. The faithful have looked down upon these models, but it was those models (at least at that point in time) that kept the company in business.
i still get hives when somebody tells me that the boxter is a true porsche

although realistically the vehicle that saved porsche was the cayenne suv
post #1246 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by partcrash View Post

SUV's were the vehicle that saved all off them. If I had to sell one more station wagon with a straight face I would have jumped off of a bridge.

post #1247 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
i still get hives when somebody tells me that the boxter is a true porsche

Well... yes but both did. The Boxster was a hit, at least sales-wise too. Was it a controversial decision? For sure. But, the company stayed in business, and all of those dollars go into making their core cars better.
post #1248 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
The Sony X-800 and the ES UHD players are good enough and play SACDs with excellent streaming support, but players are all they are. The Oppos did so much more.
chili555 likes this.
post #1249 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
You need to call ahead/ purchase so they have it brought to the store from the warehouse. My local Magnolia did not have any in stock and they need to bring it from warehouse and that takes a few days.
Quote:
This was a great hint, THANK YOU! Looked up where my closest Magnolia Design Center is located, called and they still have one in the warehouse, ordered and will get it on Friday! This sales associate was awesome, even mentioned and made sure I know Oppo going out of business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
The catch is the Magnolia store has to a "Design Center" store which are not very common.
Lots of BB's have a Magnolia Store but they're not a Design Center.
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! I just did the same and have an Oppo UHD 205 on the way. Also get it Friday.
dnoonie and partcrash like this.
post #1250 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Justc add apps???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Hate to say it, but the writing was on the wall when they took a pass on including any apps. I do love my 203. But without apps it's the least used device in the lineup. Sad news in a shrinking market of high quality A/V products.
How soon we forget, so how well the updates on included TV apps worked for people, if there's any updates at all before the device is discontinued for a new model a year later.
post #1251 of 3355 Old 04-08-2018, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Question Gentlemen: Do you know what the "manufacturing date" is on the units that you just or

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNDT View Post
Just ordered a 203 from Oppo site. I’m basing my decision on my experience with my 103 which has been flawless. I was thinking in the 205 but the 203 will be substituting the 103 which I got sending bitstream signal to my pre/pro which do all the processing. I play more music (SACD) than anything else but I guess now I will spin some 4k movies to see the full potential of my Samsung KS8000FXZA.
Let see who pick up the slack………..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop View Post
I was in a hi-fi store today to listen to some speakers I'm considering buying. The topic of Oppo came up and the guy told me that he had tried several times to get Oppo products in his store, but Oppo always said they already had a dealer in Ontario and they didn't need another. Now, not to criticize Oppo's Toronto dealer, I've dealt with them and they were nice enough, but they are pretty much internet only and basically do nothing to market the Oppo products. You can only go to their physical location with an appointment, and when you get there they have no product of any kind to demo. Hardly the best way to maximize sales of a relatively high end product.

I think Oppo could have managed their channel better. A dealer posted above that there was only $100 dealer margin in the 205. I worked with the channel for years. They are coin-operated and if you understand that and treat them right and you have a good product, they will sell a ton of product for you. I'm not sure Oppo understood that model, or maybe they just weren't interested.

I've owned owned 4 of their products and have a 205 coming next week. It's disappointing that they are dropping their hi-fi products. They have always had great products and I think that with better marketing and a workable channel distribution model they might have been able to operate a very profitable hi-fi division. My 2 cents only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtam2005 View Post
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! I just did the same and have an Oppo UHD 205 on the way. Also get it Friday.
Gentlemen: Do you know what the "manufacturing date" was on the units that you very recently ordered ? I have read that there were a LOT of glitches and multiple firmware updates especially on the 203 as a result, up through DECEMBER 2017. It is also my understanding that as the units go out (or immediately BEFORE), OPPO provides them with firmware updates to that point. So I ask, are any of you aware of, or were you advised of what month your unit was manufactured? I also understand that it takes about THREE months from manufacturing completion in China, to U.S. local shipping.

Thanks for any info on this that you can share !
post #1252 of 3355 Old 04-09-2018, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
An "on the ground" Magnolia report ...

I happened to be in Burbank California earlier today to meet a friend and had a few minutes' time to kill before our meeting time, so I went to Best Buy and their Magnolia Design Center. Told the guy that I'd heard a few random Magnolias around the country had stock of 205's and he said he'd look it up. His first words were "Oh no ... " so I knew it was bad news. He proceeded to rotate his monitor towards me and said "There aren't any on the entire West Coast. We're getting 10 in next week, but there are already 25 orders in against those 10 so ... ". I said "... so, fahgeddaboudit?". "Yep, fahgeddaboudit."

Since we're talking "Whys" about Oppo's demise, I have to chime in since I was just in the Magnolia. They had big intimidating (size-wise and price-wise) racks in there with McIntosh, etc. high-end gear. I didn't see a single player but just the fact that the Oppos were in the Magnolia and not out on the floor of the main Best Buy is all you really need to know. It was not a 'mainstream' product and had no product recognition outside of the audio-videophile market (i.e., us). Of course, it made me wonder - how do all the other companies who only get sold inside the Magnolias and other standalone high-end retailers manage to stay in business? Must be much higher prices and much higher margins, I reckon.

P.S. Oh, and to the guy who said "You think everybody is running out and buying [nVIDIA GeForce] GTX 1080 graphics cards?" - you picked the worst example possible In fact, everyone is running out and buying them - they're called "BitCoin miners" and because of those jerks, you can't find a GTX 1080 for love or money nowadays - and if it's money it's for hundreds of U.S. dollars over MSRP ...
no1special likes this.
post #1253 of 3355 Old 04-09-2018, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4070 Post(s)
Liked: 3795
Your post confirms what I found out this week at my local store, and my contact said basically the same thing when he looked at the screen showing stock!
Riot Nrrrd likes this.
post #1254 of 3355 Old 04-09-2018, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post
From HDTVtest website. The whole article is here:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/so-lo...1804034553.htm

Update (April 3rd, 2018): Jason Liao, CTO of OPPO Digital, took the time to respond to HDTVTest‘s questions regarding this news, and has clarified several important points. He stresses that while OPPO will not be introducing any new products, it is not disappearing, and will continue to support its existing customers and range of disc players, headphones and speaker.
When asked what prompted OPPO’s decision to stop product development, Jason noted that no single reason influenced the decision. However, he stated that it was carefully chosen to come at a time when development of its UHD disc players had already been accomplished.
Regarding future improvements, OPPO mentioned that a firmware update to support Dolby Vision with Sony TVs is currently being tested by Dolby, which suggests that it has largely been completed. Support for the upcoming HDR10+ standard is being investigated, and hinges on whether or not the current hardware is capable of decoding the metadata and passing the information on to the display. OPPO assures us that if the hardware can do it, support will indeed be added by firmware.
To us, HDR10+ support being added to OPPO’s players seems likely. The company’s renowned customer service, close relationship with Mediatek, and the engineering ingenuity we mentioned earlier in the article, all give us confidence. Additionally, our current understanding is that the HDR10+ metadata is carried via the existing SEI message feature that is already part of the HEVC video standard, suggesting that changes on the playback side should be minimal. Of course, we’ll have to wait and see what ultimately transpires.
This is a positive statement from the CTO of Oppo Digital but it does still leave a lot of questions unanswered, particularly why they have called it a day while at the top of their game.

I can get my head around why they will cease new product design, development and manufacture but it seems odd to commit to the future development of the current line while ceasing manufacture of that line. One of the great things about Oppo has been the addition of new features added after launch which undoubtedly adds sales. The recent line has added 21.9 support, Roon Integration, improved HDR - SDR tone mapping and MQA on the 205, all of which would have generated additional sales. The addition of the Dolby Vision Sony implementation and possible HDR10+ in the future would also likely have added sales if products were still in production.

All of it leads me to believe that this was a decision made at the very top of the parent company, and that its simply a case of giving profitable factory space over to even more profitable products i.e mobile phones. It also makes me think that the products will be supported going forward and the lack of sale off/buyout is part of that, and that who knows maybe Oppo Digital will reappear in future in some form.
mickboy and no1special like this.
post #1255 of 3355 Old 04-09-2018, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
I think there's quite a bit of value in the 205 especially if you're more into the audio side of things; less so the 203.....
Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
For those that lament not getting a 205 and don't want a to risk a possible run of 205s later, a 203 is still not a bad audio disc player. I posted this in the 95 forum a while back. An audioholics review of the 203 and 205.

https://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-...dp-203-udp-205

Some excerpts:

Quote:
Say a Brother's Name sounded spectacular on both players. I felt the UDP-205 sounded a bit more open and effortless with perhaps a shade warmer bass reproduction. It took multiple attempts for me to discern this, which either means my hearing just isn't as good as it was in my 20's or the UDP-203 is that good of a player or a combination of both. I honestly expected to discern a bigger audible difference between the players like I have on older CD players, but that just wasn't the case in this instance.
Quote:
In this test, I decided to bring my wife into the comparison to use her ears as well as mine. I networked my HDD to both players and we alternated the listener/tester roles while taking detailed notes. For Track #2 - Freddy Freeloader, at first we couldn't discern much of an audible difference between the two players. However, once the brass instruments kicked in, they sounded slightly smoother and less grainy on the UDP-205. The difference was subtle and required many trials of switching between the players to discern, but both of us were able to hear it.
Quote:
We continued the listening comparison cuing up 192kHz/24 bit recordings streaming from my network HDD to both players and the results were pretty consistent in what we both heard. In brass instruments in jazz music, the UDP-205 sounded a tad smoother and less forward while the UDP-203 at times almost sounded like it had a hotter top end to it. We are literally splitting hairs here because both players have excellent analog outputs. I could easily live with either player as a dedicated two-channel player. Is the UDP-205's slight level of refinement worth over 2X the cost? I will leave that up to you to decide.
I have a 95, with torroidial transformer, and ESS 9018 dac. I have similar observations comparing the 203 to the 95. It's really hard to tell a difference between the 2 players in my headphone rig. The 95 maybe just a touch more laid back, but it's really hard to tell and like the audioholics reviewer it takes several different attempts to discern.

So don't feel your are settling for a 203 for 2 channel analog capability if you can't get a 205. Yes, it's DAC can be gotten for 6 bucks a chip, the 9038 for 75, but they both sound really good and have been implemented well in the players.

The 203 is good enough (and I do still have a perfectly good working 95) that I didn't feel the need to go out and get a 205. My reasoning was if at some point in the future the 95 gives up, then the 203 sounds pretty damn good for my 2 channel needs. (headphone rig). I'll be perfectly fine with that until something else comes along.
Bill Mac likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #1256 of 3355 Old 04-09-2018, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
Gentlemen: Do you know what the "manufacturing date" was on the units that you very recently ordered ? I have read that there were a LOT of glitches and multiple firmware updates especially on the 203 as a result, up through DECEMBER 2017. It is also my understanding that as the units go out (or immediately BEFORE), OPPO provides them with firmware updates to that point. So I ask, are any of you aware of, or were you advised of what month your unit was manufactured? I also understand that it takes about THREE months from manufacturing completion in China, to U.S. local shipping.

Thanks for any info on this that you can share !
I had no plans to get a 203 until i heard they are no longer being made. With all the bugs that came with them that scared me away from buying one until now.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #1257 of 3355 Old 04-09-2018, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
Losers want Lame, they are good with, not the same quality,.... streaming? Lmfao
Sreaming *some* content is perfectly fine and works great for most people. Of course, your favorites should be on disc and I have a decent sized disc library just for that. Streaming quality continues to get better and better. Maybe your internet connection is weak or needs an upgrade?

Overall, its 2018. Time to realize that there are options available and not everything has to be so black & white for every situation. Streaming fills a nice spot for *rentals*, TV shows and various other content.
aaronwt, pappaduke and TravisPNW like this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #1258 of 3355 Old 04-09-2018, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
I think there's quite a bit of value in the 205 especially if you're more into the audio side of things; less so the 203.....
Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
For those that lament not getting a 205 and don't want a to risk a possible run of 205s later, a 203 is still not a bad audio disc player. I posted this in the 95 forum a while back. An audioholics review of the 203 and 205.

https://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-...dp-203-udp-205

Some excerpts:

Quote:
Say a Brother's Name sounded spectacular on both players. I felt the UDP-205 sounded a bit more open and effortless with perhaps a shade warmer bass reproduction. It took multiple attempts for me to discern this, which either means my hearing just isn't as good as it was in my 20's or the UDP-203 is that good of a player or a combination of both. I honestly expected to discern a bigger audible difference between the players like I have on older CD players, but that just wasn't the case in this instance.
Quote:
In this test, I decided to bring my wife into the comparison to use her ears as well as mine. I networked my HDD to both players and we alternated the listener/tester roles while taking detailed notes. For Track #2 - Freddy Freeloader, at first we couldn't discern much of an audible difference between the two players. However, once the brass instruments kicked in, they sounded slightly smoother and less grainy on the UDP-205. The difference was subtle and required many trials of switching between the players to discern, but both of us were able to hear it.
Quote:
We continued the listening comparison cuing up 192kHz/24 bit recordings streaming from my network HDD to both players and the results were pretty consistent in what we both heard. In brass instruments in jazz music, the UDP-205 sounded a tad smoother and less forward while the UDP-203 at times almost sounded like it had a hotter top end to it. We are literally splitting hairs here because both players have excellent analog outputs. I could easily live with either player as a dedicated two-channel player. Is the UDP-205's slight level of refinement worth over 2X the cost? I will leave that up to you to decide.
I have a 95, with torroidial transformer, and ESS 9018 dac. I have similar observations comparing the 203 to the 95. It's really hard to tell a difference between the 2 players in my headphone rig. The 95 maybe just a touch more laid back, but it's really hard to tell and like the audioholics reviewer it takes several different attempts to discern.

So don't feel your are settling for a 203 for 2 channel analog capability if you can't get a 205. Yes, it's DAC can be gotten for 6 bucks a chip, the 9038 for 75, but they both sound really good and have been implemented well in the players.

The 203 is good enough (and I do still have a perfectly good working 95) that I didn't feel the need to go out and get a 205. My reasoning was if at some point in the future the 95 gives up, then the 203 sounds pretty damn good for my 2 channel needs. (headphone rig). I'll be perfectly fine with that until something else comes along.
I read that review a while ago. Gene States the brand of speakers that he used to demo both players. And even then, it was difficult to discern the difference between the what are your abilities of each player.

-T
post #1259 of 3355 Old 04-09-2018, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
Well not all but most people I have talked with in real life that brag about going all digital, etc no discs act like they are geniuses for doing so. I always get a kick out of the fella that thinks an internet or online subscription service reliant collection is the way to go. I have Netflix streaming and it's ok I wouldn't toss my discs in favor of using that the rest of my life. A smart disc collection consists of your personal favorite movies or a few guilty pleasures, discs have plenty of advantages.
Cla55clown and Jbhur212 like this.
post #1260 of 3355 Old 04-09-2018, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I ordered the 203 but the more I read about the 205s audio capabilities the more I want it instead. I don't listen to a lot of music but I would it I had a more capable machine. Here's to hoping Oppo does another 205 run.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page