Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke. - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11059Likes

post #1771 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Park View Post
I almost thought so. Today was the day we were scheduled to pick up our PREPAID Oppo UDP-205 at our local Best Buy Design Center. Ordered last Sunday, was told 10 are in the warehouse. Called today just to find out they gave it away meaning they kept them for themselves. Nice job Best Buy! I guess I can find my player now on Ebay - 4k player for 4k … I know who the sellers are
That totally sucks ! Definitely sign up at Oppo for the 205 "Potential Availability" in June. To see posts like this and then see how others have bought up multiple 205s and actually post pictures rubbing it in fellow members faces .

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Absolutely. When my friend looked up the model on the inventory/sales page it was clear that they oversold what they had in stock. The thing to remember is that salespeople were very likely not aware of Oppo's announcement at the time and the stock response to selling an item not in local stock is that they'll be getting more in. In other words, they were not aware at the time that what they had was all they'll get.

My guess is that BB went with a sales date logic in that South Park's purchase went to someone who had ordered the 205 before he did. To blame BB for an unscrupulous act seem to come from anger rather than some calm logic.
At time of order the sales person was fair and asked me if I knew what is going on with Oppo, I even mentioned this in my initial post. So you are wrong, he was aware.
Bill Mac likes this.

post #1773 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhkinay View Post
After sitting on the fence for months, I finally pulled the trigger on a 203 from Crutchfield earlier this week. I had a $100 gift card from them from their rewards program, so it dropped the price enough for me to go for it. They are back ordered until 4/30. I checked this morning and now the site says they are only allowing one order per household.
I totally respect Crutchfield's policy on limiting sales of the 203. Hopefully Oppo will limit sales of the 205 as well if they do extend production.
Quote:
At time of order the sales person was fair and asked me if I knew what is going on with Oppo, I even mentioned this in my initial post. So you are wrong, he was aware.
The salesman that I bought my 205 from at Magnolia was also aware that Oppo was possibly stopping production. I called another Magnolia store and that salesman told me the same thing. So the Magnolia sales force was well aware of the situation with Oppo.

Bill
South Park likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

Last edited by Bill Mac; 04-13-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1774 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I totally respect Crutchfield's policy on limiting sales of the 203. Hopefully Oppo will limit sales of the 205 as well if they do extend production.

Bill
It is America. Why not just make more of them and may be increase price instead of trying controlling price or restricting sales - reminds me how it was done in Soviet Union.

Source/Dac/Pre: OPPO-105
Fronts: Benchmark AHB2 -> DefTech Mythos ST-Ls
Surrounds: Parasound Halo A23 -> DefTech Mythos Gems
post #1775 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked: 3645
Quote:
It still doesn't invalidate the idea that they oversold thinking they were getting more. And it may have been a different location that oversold and ended up with your unit instead of it going to where your purchase was made, the error may have been made at the distribution center, maybe they weren't aware of what was happening with Oppo.

Have you talked to your salesperson about? To blame a BB employee(s) without anything more than disappointment on your end seems to be an overreaction.
post #1776 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetter View Post
It is America. Why not just make more of them and may be increase price instead of trying controlling price or restricting sales - reminds me how it was done in Soviet Union.
You are right in that it is America. So that gives Crutchfield the right to set the policy of limiting one 203 per customer. To make a comparison to Crutchfield's policy to the Soviet Union is a complete joke .

Bill
muzz, Cattledog, Operon and 2 others like this.

post #1777 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Probably an employee bought it themselves ... maybe even with an employee discount ... and plans to scalp it. Well, you know, anyone who will pay some stupid high price can’t be living paycheck to paycheck. Or so I’ve read.
Could a Best Buy employee even get away with such a thing? The shipments coming in would have to be allocated to the orders being placed first and the rest to stock. Hopefully they didn't have South Park make a trip to the store to pick up his player before informing him of the bad news. If so, then they should give him some compensation like a $30 gift card or something, because they would have to have known about it in advance if it was due to over-ordering.
post #1778 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 01:14 PM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I have a simple solution to stream 4K at 100% fidelity. I buy the 4K HDR blu-ray and rip it bit for bit to my digital library on my media server. I can then stream it as much as I want with my HCPC at 100% bit to bit accuracy using my JRiver Media Center. Using Plex, I can stream from remote locations directly to my device of choice. As much as my broadband can handle outbound (200Mbps upload) of course. I can always use the disc if I want to, load the digital version (mkv/mp4) of the movie onto portable storage to watch anywhere or stream it. And I own the original source. Since I went 100% pure digital, I haven't even turned on my Oppo. My Cinema experience is multitudes better and more seamless as a result.
Riot Nrrrd likes this.

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | 4K: Oppo UDP-203 | Media: Ryzen 1800X 32GB DDR4 HCPC, Synology DS3615xs 172TB | Gaming: PS4 Pro/PSVR 10TB, PS3 | Speakers: Polk LSiM: 1x706c, 2x707, 4x900LS, 4x702F/X | Subs: 2xSVS PB4000, 2xSVS PC12+, 5xButtkicker BK-LFE | Vid: Sony VPL-VW885ES | Amp: Emotiva XPA7 Gen 3, Parasound 2125, 2xQSC GX3 | Power: 3xFurman Elite 20 PFi | UPS: APC SMT3000, 2xSMT2200 | Screen/Misc: 138" 2.35:1 Stewart CIMA Neve, Harmony Elite
post #1779 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Quote:
Probably an employee bought it themselves ... maybe even with an employee discount ... and plans to scalp it. Well, you know, anyone who will pay some stupid high price can’t be living paycheck to paycheck. Or so I’ve read. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
Could a Best Buy employee even get away with such a thing? The shipments coming in would have to be allocated to the orders being placed first and the rest to stock. Hopefully they didn't have South Park make a trip to the store to pick up his player before informing him of the bad news. If so, then they should give him some compensation like a $30 gift card or something, because they would have to have known about it in advance if it was due to over-ordering.
They could have gone back into the system and cancel the order and refund the customer. Anything could happen. It would be customer word against their’s or they could have said the was a glitch in system? I almost walked out of a store yesterday to pick up an order but they could not find the product but the girl was nice and did some detective work and found my product cause it was in the wrong spot? So basically they could say anything in the store! it was misplaced and so on and accidentally sold to someone else because it was miss allocated.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #1780 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 01:51 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked: 926
We are just riffing and venting. Of course no BB employee would ever do what is being discussed. I’m sure it was all a mistake.

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #1781 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
We are just riffing and venting. Of course no BB employee would ever do what is being discussed. I’m sure it was all a mistake.

Jeff
You mean buy one of the players that came in, that are all being allocated to orders? If they can do that, then that's a bad system they have. There should be checks to make sure that doesn't happen. In any event, I think it's far more likely that they just oversold their inventory. I was fortunate to get a 205 from BB, ordering Friday and picking up Tuesday. I asked if they were any left to order on Tuesday he said there were 10 or so. So it would appear their inventory quantity was simply wrong.

Last edited by bruceames; 04-13-2018 at 02:10 PM.
post #1782 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
You mean buy one of the players that came in, that are all being allocated to orders? If they can do that, then that's a bad system they have. There should be checks to make sure that doesn't happen. In any event, I think it's far more likely that they just oversold their inventory. I was fortunate to get a 205 from BB, ordering Friday and picking up Tuesday. I asked if they were any left to order on Tuesday he said there were 10 or so. So it would appear their inventory quantity was simply wrong.
Best Buy has always had a terrible system for keeping track of inventory.

Many times I would check online to see if a given store had the item in stock for a pick up only to get there and be told that wasn't the case.

It's a big reason I've stopped shopping there and even stopped thinking of them as a potential source.
Just been burned too many times in the past.

I wouldn't be so quick to ascribe to venality what could be explained by sheer incompetence.
Especially when there is a track record of the latter.
pepar, Riot Nrrrd and RagtopFE like this.
post #1783 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 03:14 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan XM View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to ascribe to venality what could be explained by sheer incompetence.
Oh man, I LIKE that.

post #1784 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
They could have gone back into the system and cancel the order and refund the customer. Anything could happen. It would be customer word against their’s or they could have said the was a glitch in system? I almost walked out of a store yesterday to pick up an order but they could not find the product but the girl was nice and did some detective work and found my product cause it was in the wrong spot? So basically they could say anything in the store! it was misplaced and so on and accidentally sold to someone else because it was miss allocated.
If an employee bought if for themselves and cancelled buyers order and refunded all Best Buy can do is fire the employee. Customers should always, always come first so if someone did do this yes they should be fired. It's bad for Best Buy to have employee's who don't care about the customers experience or feelings, just theirs.
post #1785 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup45 View Post
If an employee bought if for themselves and cancelled buyers order and refunded all Best Buy can do is fire the employee.
Would they even know if it were a manager?

post #1786 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Absolutely. When my friend looked up the model on the inventory/sales page it was clear that they oversold what they had in stock. The thing to remember is that salespeople were very likely not aware of Oppo's announcement at the time and the stock response to selling an item not in local stock is that they'll be getting more in. In other words, they were not aware at the time that what they had was all they'll get.

My guess is that BB went with a sales date logic in that South Park's purchase went to someone who had ordered the 205 before he did. To blame BB for an unscrupulous act seem to come from anger rather than some calm logic.
Yes, this is probably what most likely happened. Best Buy oversold orders of the 205 thinking stock will be replenished by a certain date. Crutchfield before they listed the 205 as not available had April 19th as expected date of stock. This is probably what happened with Best Buy and now all customers orders are being refunded because they over sold what stock they did have due to high demand. Best Buy rarely takes orders of items that are not available but they were most likely not aware the Oppo 205 is no longer being produced at the moment. That's not to say a few didn't pop up and perhaps some employee's got selfish it's human nature but customer should always come first in the event any rumors like that are true.
post #1787 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhkinay View Post
After sitting on the fence for months, I finally pulled the trigger on a 203 from Crutchfield earlier this week. I had a $100 gift card from them from their rewards program, so it dropped the price enough for me to go for it. They are back ordered until 4/30. I checked this morning and now the site says they are only allowing one order per household.
I had an order for the 203 from Crutchfield. But then got a little nervous when they told me I probably would get one of the in-coming units but it wasn't guaranteed. So I called V.E. and spoke to Robert Z. I ordered the unit at 12 noon and it was on the doorstep by 10 am the next day (I live in CT). I would also add that it was doubled boxed, with free shipping and $10 cheaper than CF! Just my 2 cents.
aaronwt likes this.
post #1788 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The MDC (Magnolia Design Center) is just another bad business inside yet another bad business (Best Buy). Real-time Qty on-hand vs Allocated vs Sold are profound high tech concepts to them and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Samsung 78JS9500,Parasound Halo JC1's, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Marantz AVR8802A, Emotiva XSP-1, Oppo 103, 205 & Sonica DAC, (2) SVS SB16 Ultra's
(For Sale) Parasound HCA-3500 dual monoblock chassis [500w X 2 @ 4Ω]
post #1789 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Would they even know if it were a manager?
Most likely not and this scenario is even worse, lol.
post #1790 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I thought the 203 was in short supply or not even available? I see Amazon has them for 559 plus 18 shipping. Directly from Oppo digital.

-T
post #1791 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I really wouldn't worry too much about extended warranty -- I've run the heck out of three Oppos over the years and have never had anything that a reboot didn't fix quickly.

Oppo buys its transports -- not much there to get excited or proprietory about. IMHO what makes Oppos exceptional is the video processing and the attention given to the audio section design and execution. The PQ is great, the sound is good. That doesn't just happen. That old 83SE is one of the best stereo sources I've ever heard.

For much less cost that launching a new player Oppo can package what it does best and sell them as stand alones. Use a streaming source, let Oppo processing make the most of it and enjoy. Upgrade becomes a matter of firmware. No moving parts removes a lot that can go wrong. No years of drama over future disc formats that may well never emerge. And by sticking to processing they stay above an already crowded streamer market. I had first thought streamers was the way for them to go, but that space is crowded and the true Golden Eyes that I know are very dedicated to their discs.

Nakamichi was facing a total ground up redesign to carry its magic from analog to digital. In the early days frankly nobody knew how to make a decent audio section for a CD player. Good sound eventually came along but it took several years. By that time Nakamichi was emptying trash cans and sleeping on park benches.

Oppo can repackage what it is already doing well and people will buy it. At least I will.

I've never run the video through my AVRs -- one hdmi carries audio to the AVR, the other goes from the Oppo to the projector. The better PQ for doing so is evident and undeniable.

So Oppo has a chance to stand tall and keep the legend alive. It will be interesting to see how long they keep shipping players. They need to emerge with new products before their fans begin looking elsewhere for solutions. A customer lost that way is hard to get back. All of the heavy lifting is done, they might as well move some units.

The wife is being difficult about the 205 -- I may just have to 'accidentally' order one.
post #1792 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 04:12 PM

I got a call from the Magnolia salesman that I bought my 205 from. He was checking to see how the 205 was working out and to let me know that there were no 205s left in the Best Buy system. Certainly not anything that wasn't already known. Personally in the years I've dealt with Best Buy there has been minimal issues as far as items not being in stock when they were supposed to be.

Bill
fatuglyguy likes this.

post #1793 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 04:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5830 Post(s)
Liked: 8304
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I thought the 203 was in short supply or not even available? I see Amazon has them for 559 plus 18 shipping. Directly from Oppo digital.

-T
Presumably that just means they were able to confirm or accelerate the already planned production runs for the 203 -- which OPPO has said will continue up to shipments slated to arrive in June.
--Bob
Madmax67 likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #1794 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup45 View Post
Most likely not and this scenario is even worse, lol.

I’m sure there’s a way look up the last several 205 purchase to find a name, assuming they paid by credit card, and cross reference that with employees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #1795 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
You're wrong, it is the only logical explanation they keep it for themselves. You cannot accept an order for something you don't have or cannot offer. It is as simple as this.
Nonsense.

Businesses can take orders for units they expect to receive; businesses in fact pointedly do that when they take preorders.

It's much more likely the computer was wrong; I can't tell you how many times I have gone to a Best Buy because their computer said they had something (even multiple copies) only for them to not be able to find it/them.

At least a few years ago, they flat out stated their computer system only updated inventory levels daily.
post #1796 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 77
As of this post, Oppo has 546 units of the 203 available to order.
aaronwt and mickboy like this.
post #1797 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 04:42 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5830 Post(s)
Liked: 8304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
Just went to OPPO site and it says I can Register for Potential Availability.
That’s for the 205, which is currently Out of Stock.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #1798 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
That remote is a joke, they charged $400 for that player and remote, and it's horrendous.
I can't ever figure out how to use it. I used the player one time to see a UHD disc. Just way too small.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #1799 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 25733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
That’s for the 205, which is currently Out of Stock.
—Bob
Yup, I did another check and I was looking at the 205 status, so I deleted my post

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #1800 of 3315 Old 04-13-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Yes, it’s a conspiracy! The upgrading and replacing never stops!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You got that right. I went from VHS to S- VHS to LD and then ED Beta and then DVD and HD- DVD, BD and now UHD.
RagtopFE likes this.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page