Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke. - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11122Likes

post #2311 of 3355 Old 05-05-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 445
We can debate all day about the reasons Oppo is fading away from producing disc players. We can also debate how good their players are compared to others. Why the haters cruise this thread I’ll never understand. If you don’t like Oppo just buy something else because you certainly won’t sway my opinion.
There’s a certain brand of speaker I don’t care for and I have never gone to their thread to try to change peoples opinions. I simply don’t spend my money on that brand. Notice I didn’t even mention the brand name.
Now what we all should be concerned about is how many others will follow Oppo’s lead and bail away from physical media. Until streaming video reaches the level streaming music has (Tidal, Deezer), I will always prefer physical disc.
So my 203 is sitting in the box waiting to be hooked up when I get time. I will initially use it for Blu-ray (no 4k TV yet), SACD’s and DSD.
That’s my $0.02.
Happy viewing and listening everyone.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 3355 Old 05-05-2018, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
Read this thread and you will find a lot of answers to your questions. My summary of the general consensus would be: yes, buy one, and no, no great alternative right now (although I personally think there will be decent alternatives in the future, and there are many who think there are good alternatives now, just not as good as the 203 is currently).

Mark
thanks purchased one from OPPO directly, $549+$18 shipping. I have a Samsung Plasma PN60F8500 not really a 4K TV, but this player will be way ahead of my sony BDP-D6200 junk.
post #2313 of 3355 Old 05-05-2018, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ The "Bank of Evil" does look particularly good in Dolby Vision.

--Bob
What about The Wolf of Wall Street?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2314 of 3355 Old 05-06-2018, 06:34 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
From what I've read the production shut down has been uncommonly well planned. It's not one of those situations where a company held on too long and then "crashed" - completely broke, crippled by debt, etc.. Oppo made their decisions before that happened, and hopefully that will enable them to maintain the (reduced) level of customer support and software support/updates that they've promised.
From what I’ve read, it’s not that Oppo Digital was not profitable, it’s that Oppo’s manufacturing time was better spent on the much more profitable manufacturing of cellphones. This didn’t developed overnight.
chili555, tigerhonaker and sdg4vfx like this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #2315 of 3355 Old 05-06-2018, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasi View Post
I was in the market for a Bluray player and planning on buying OPPO 203, there are few still available but is it worth buying now and are there any alternative make and model to OPPO 203.

I don't know, but I pulled the trigger on one today while there are still a few left and I don't even own a UHD TV yet! The more and more I thought about it, the more I thought I would likely regret not buying one, even though I don't want to spend the money right now. Currently I use the BDP-103 with a Panasonic plasma.
Vader424242, bhasi and Matt2026 like this.
post #2316 of 3355 Old 05-06-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
I don't know, but I pulled the trigger on one today while there are still a few left and I don't even own a UHD TV yet! The more and more I thought about it, the more I thought I would likely regret not buying one, even though I don't want to spend the money right now. Currently I use the BDP-103 with a Panasonic plasma.
I bought one two weeks ago for the same reason and I also don’t currently own a 4K TV. My plan to slowly upgrade to Atmos and 4K has been speed up by Oppo. So once again I have come down with upgraditus 🤕
bhasi likes this.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #2317 of 3355 Old 05-06-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 496
I just don't think younger people watch tv or play Disc anymore. I know many kids under 10 that never watch TV . They all live on a dumb i phone. Our world is coming to a end and i see the end of TV sets and disc players within 10 years.
mickboy, Blackman and djreef like this.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #2318 of 3355 Old 05-06-2018, 10:29 PM
vld
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Our world is coming to a end and i see the end of TV sets and disc players within 10 years.
I'm just waiting for the VR head sets and movies! Hell, someone may develop Star Trek holodeck tech for a true 3D 'television'.
post #2319 of 3355 Old 05-07-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1731 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk373 View Post
The X800 is not a 2 lb unit—it weighs more than 8 lbs. Metal construction. It’s built to a different standard than the 3700. Just because it doesn’t have a display does not mean it’s 3 degrees below Oppo in terms of *construction*.

Again, I own both a Sony X800 and an Oppo 203. So I have first hand knowledge of each product.
+1
I had every Oppo, even the 203, sold it, and bought the X800...
The Sony is not an Oppo 203, but it sure is a lot cheaper and does the job very well.
WOLVERNOLE and sk373 like this.
post #2320 of 3355 Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
+1

The Sony is not an Oppo 203, but it sure is a lot cheaper and does the job very well.

I’m sure it plays UHD and Blu-ray Discs very well but as had been discussed at length in this thread it’s not a direct competitor to the Oppo 203 or 205.

Analog outs is a big requirement for most that have the Oppos but that’s just one big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mickboy likes this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #2321 of 3355 Old 05-07-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Question

Quote:
+1
Sooo, please compare the "picture quality" difference that you have noted between the Oppo 203 and the Sony X800. I am curious as I just ordered an Oppo 203 last night and they are still available.
post #2322 of 3355 Old 05-07-2018, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
I’m sure it plays UHD and Blu-ray Discs very well but as had been discussed at length in this thread it’s not a direct competitor to the Oppo 203 or 205.

Analog outs is a big requirement for most that have the Oppos but that’s just one big difference.

Indeed it is. I had the 105D Japan Limited Edition, the finest Oppo for music. So I agree that the Oppos made a great all in one machine, good for music and for video. I then got myself a nice DAC, and I went into HT more. Then my Oppo sources told me about Oppo's demise and I considered keeping the 203 or even getting the 205 for fun, and even when the support ran out, I could still use it as a good transport or just as a nice CD / SACD player. However the same source told me that many drives and 203 were giving issues, so I decided against keeping it, since I had other sources to play music and the Sony will service well for HT.

So as I posted earlier in the thread, if you have a good Oppo and it works well, use it and enjoy it, and enjoy the ride while it lasts. It was a great player, even the Oppo Nuforce which is my last Oppo and slowing failing, 10 yrs after I got it.
mickboy likes this.
post #2323 of 3355 Old 05-07-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
Sooo, please compare the "picture quality" difference that you have noted between the Oppo 203 and the Sony X800. I am curious as I just ordered an Oppo 203 last night and they are still available.
I can no longer do a head to head comparison since I sold my 203 a long time back.
Where did you get the 203? Test the drive and if it works well it should last for a while.
For 4k playback, the difference is not great between different players. For audio playback, there are alternatives for me, but if you are only going to stretch to the 203, it should be an excellent audio and video all in one playback source.
In terms of upscaling, if you have a current generation Sony TV for example, the upscaling by the TV is good enough that you no longer need a fancy video chip in your amp or BR player.
I wrote my notes on both the Sony and Oppo 203 earlier and you can find my posts on the net. Cheers
post #2324 of 3355 Old 05-07-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 3505
Quote:
However the same source told me that many drives and 203 were giving issues, so I decided against keeping it, since I had other sources to play music and the Sony will service well for HT.

So as I posted earlier in the thread, if you have a good Oppo and it works well, use it and enjoy it, and enjoy the ride while it lasts. It was a great player, even the Oppo Nuforce which is my last Oppo and slowing failing, 10 yrs after I got it.
I have the 205 but I haven't read that the 203 "drive" was an issue. The 203 and the 205 share the same loader and laser mechanism. I haven't had any issues with the "drive" on either of my 205s. Is this source a dealer or do they work for Oppo?

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #2325 of 3355 Old 05-07-2018, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
However the same source told me that many drives and 203 were giving issues, so I decided against keeping it, since I had other sources to play music and the Sony will service well for HT.

I follow these threads rather closely and don’t recall any issues with the drive in either the 203 or the 205. I’m sure like anything else there is one here and there but def not a widespread issue as it would be all over this board.

The players are also under warranty which will be covered even if a problem did arise.

This also has nothing to do with the difference in features between the Sony and the Oppos. If all anyone is interested in a player is UHD and Blu-ray then I’m sure the Sony is fine but a lot of us require more. I’ve entertained the idea of a separate DAC but having an all in one unit is what makes the Oppos great.

BGLeduc, Bill Mac and llang269 like this.

-
post #2326 of 3355 Old 05-07-2018, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 3505
Quote:
I follow these threads rather closely and don’t recall any issues with the drive in either the 203 or the 205. I’m sure like anything else there is one here and there but def not a widespread issue as it would be all over this board.

The players are also under warranty which will be covered even if a problem did arise.

This also has nothing to do with the difference in features between the Sony and the Oppos. If all anyone is interested in a player is UHD and Blu-ray then I’m sure the Sony is fine but a lot of us require more. I’ve entertained the idea of a separate DAC but having an all in one unit is what makes the Oppos great.
I've haven't seen multiple disc drive issues reported on the 203 or the 205 as well. As you mention the players would be under warranty anyhow. It's funny how some will say they have a "source" but fail to mention who that source is. If it's a salesperson at an A/V shop that doesn't sell Oppo products then it's a real reliable source .

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #2327 of 3355 Old 05-07-2018, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
Thank you for your comment.
I have had "Hubble" on the shelf for years. I am going to watch it tonight.
3D AND 4k would be the bomb...with a 80(+) inch TV 😏
Quote:

I also thought about dedicated DAC but the problem is that all DACs on the market are stereo and more expensive that Oppo 205. The beauty of Oppo is that it is optimally configured has all the right components, inputs and outputs and plays everything you may find on disk or file download.
pepar, Bill Mac, mbroadus and 2 others like this.

Source/Dac/Pre: OPPO-105
Fronts: Benchmark AHB2 -> DefTech Mythos ST-Ls
Surrounds: Parasound Halo A23 -> DefTech Mythos Gems
post #2328 of 3355 Old 05-07-2018, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetter View Post
I also thought about dedicated DAC but the problem is that all DACs on the market are stereo and more expensive that Oppo 205. The beauty of Oppo is that it is optimally configured has all the right components, inputs and outputs and plays everything you may find on disk or file download.

Being able to directly compete with higher end separate DACs that are just DACs that don’t play discs or even music directly is one of the things that makes Oppo players great. Shelf space is always at a premium so having an all in one device is what puts Oppo above other players and why those other players don’t directly compare to the Oppos.

RichB, pepar, Bill Mac and 3 others like this.

-
post #2329 of 3355 Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetter View Post

And the reason I’ll be buying a 205 if they decide to do another run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #2330 of 3355 Old 05-08-2018, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Currently using a 95 for stereo audio. My collection is vast with CD's, HDCD's, DVD-A, SACD , BD Audio and many hundreds of titles ripped to FLAC. Oppo has always been the budget audiophiles best friend.

The 95 is my 5th Oppo, having started with one of their earlier upconverting DVD players, then the BDP-80, etc.

Upon hearing the news of Oppo's impending demise I scrambled and came up with a backup in the form of a absolutely mint and unused 105. Any cheap player out there can do UHD reasonably well, it is Hi Rez AUDIO I am concerned with. My 95 has performed perfectly for the last 6 years but sooner or later Murphy's Law is gonna kick in. I would rather have a stack of used Oppo hardware waiting in the wings then have to settle for an inferior solution to my audio repro needs. (or purchase 4 to 5 units that will "sort of" do what one BDP-95 can do)
post #2331 of 3355 Old 05-08-2018, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
[QUOTE=MartyGillis;56157324]Currently using a 95 for stereo audio. My collection is vast with CD's, HDCD's, DVD-A, SACD , BD Audio and many hundreds of titles ripped to FLAC. Oppo has always been the budget audiophiles best friend.

The 95 is my 5th Oppo, having started with one of their earlier upconverting DVD players, then the BDP-80, etc.
Any cheap player out there can do UHD reasonably well, it is Hi Rez AUDIO I am concerned with.

Yup

This is pretty much me too.

I think of myself as an audiophile, even though I am not able to afford high end

It seems to me, that here are several problems with streaming Movies, The largest one being that the quality is pretty much terrible, especially the audio. Cellphone quality is apparently good enough for many, it seems.

If this is not true, please, someone help me out.

The question I have is: after the next last run of OPPO UDP-205 what do we do?

There is something called a pre-pro, sure enough, but what is to be used for a transport?

What else?
post #2332 of 3355 Old 05-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhand View Post
Yup

I think of myself as an audiophile, even though I am not able to afford high end

It seems to me, that here are several problems with streaming Movies, The largest one being that the quality is pretty much terrible, especially the audio. Cellphone quality is apparently good enough for many, it seems.

There is something called a pre-pro, sure enough, but what is to be used for a transport?

What else?
Your internet connection must be fairly slow. Wih a high speed connection streaming is usually great.
post #2333 of 3355 Old 05-08-2018, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would have liked to see Oppo build a unit with the audio capabilities and DACs of the Oppo 205, but around streaming (and as a hub for other devices) (ATV, Fire, etc.). Using their audio (and video if possible?) hardware (and software) to improve streaming services (buffering, etc.) I would buy a 205 just for improving sound from streaming content. I currently have a 105 Darbee and run my ATV and Fire through it, and use the XLRs into my Ayre system for amazing sound (I don't run surround).
post #2334 of 3355 Old 05-08-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=Trailhand;56158278]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGillis View Post
Currently using a 95 for stereo audio. My collection is vast with CD's, HDCD's, DVD-A, SACD , BD Audio and many hundreds of titles ripped to FLAC. Oppo has always been the budget audiophiles best friend.

Any cheap player out there can do UHD reasonably well, it is Hi Rez AUDIO I am concerned with.

Yup

What else?
Just because you can’t or don’t want to afford high doesn’t mean you’re not an audiophile. While the masses may believe an audiophile is some old rich guy buying ultra expensive gear, I feel differently. You can have some really nice sounding gear at modest prices.
Personally I don’t know what I’ll do going forward once my recently purchased 203 dies some time in what I hope to be the far future. The way technology moves anything could happen.
mickboy likes this.

post #2335 of 3355 Old 05-08-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
Your internet connection must be fairly slow. Wih a high speed connection streaming is usually great.

That’s what I was thinking because my picture and sound quality is fantastic with Comcast cable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #2336 of 3355 Old 05-08-2018, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpassman View Post
Sad news... and I'm sorry to see another great product company disappear. But like other technologies, things change. I suspect even with a huge following from AVS members, the age of streaming media may have impacted them too.
I there view of streaming becoming the dominant access technology was the basis for their decision.
As I said above,their support for their products and customers is more important than quarterly profits.
Tom
post #2337 of 3355 Old 05-09-2018, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
Wrong! They couldn't just rebadge it, they'd also have to add a bunch of eye-blinding blue led lights. Just in case you didn't see my earlier post, I attached the secret prototype photo.

What a HOOT !! Emotiva has by far the brightest blue LEDS I've ever seen.
mickboy likes this.
post #2338 of 3355 Old 05-09-2018, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
I don't think that is it
157 Mbps just now
post #2339 of 3355 Old 05-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbe2 View Post
I there view of streaming becoming the dominant access technology was the basis for their decision.
As I said above,their support for their products and customers is more important than quarterly profits.
Tom
With compression algos becoming better and better - Netflix has some 4k content - 1080p seems like it would be easily marginalized by streaming. Accelerated, most likely, by their more profitable smartphone sales, is not Oppo Digital tossing in the towel on 4k players not a sign of the same thing? As long as compression and pipe speed keep improving, it seems likely that whatever resolution the industry develops will fall sooner or later. I'd bet that it's us baby boomers and Gen-X'ers who cling to our physical media.

But then we rip to our media servers ... and stream. I like to start with the shiny disc because I know it is the highest quality source available. I do a 1:1 rip, but there is a wide division there between 1:1'ers and compressors. I would speculated that if you compress a BD, you might be more inclined to stream from the cloud? And if you are a 1:1'er, less likely?

post #2340 of 3355 Old 05-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhand View Post
So.
Full 4k Blu-Ray Quality Audio and Video. I don't want to lose ground with the audio.
Spot on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page