Oppo to stop production? This is not a joke. - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11119Likes

post #2581 of 3355 Old 06-01-2018, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
If it is still playing current Blu-rays then it is as good as any other BR player. And the ABT solution made it one of the two best DVD players ever, the other being OPPO's 983H. Has HDCD, SACD and DVD-A. (Older things like component output probably not important any more).

Downside: limited media file support. DLNA but not SMB. No UHD, obviously.

You can get it fixed for less than $100, but that could be a contribution to your next player instead.

Hard to say.

-Bill
Thank you for the humane response, Bill (something I am not receiving over at Blu-ray.com). Much appreciated.

Indeed, the player is dealing with Blu-rays just fine (save for the occasional hiccup when the drawer will spit a BD out when first loaded) and what I love most about the '83 IS its incredible upconversion for standard DVD via the ABT chipset.

Given that, upconversion of DVD -- even onto a 4K display -- is very important to me because we have a massive DVD library. What other brands can be considered for a UHD player that will yield at least decent DVD upconversion, maybe NEAR the level that an OPPO would provide? I am reading things about the Cambridge Audio player, which is said to possess the same innards as the OPPO 203...is this true, do you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 3355 Old 06-01-2018, 04:06 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 4546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter View Post
Thank you for the humane response, Bill (something I am not receiving over at Blu-ray.com). Much appreciated.

Indeed, the player is dealing with Blu-rays just fine (save for the occasional hiccup when the drawer will spit a BD out when first loaded) and what I love most about the '83 IS its incredible upconversion for standard DVD via the ABT chipset.

Given that, upconversion of DVD -- even onto a 4K display -- is very important to me because we have a massive DVD library. What other brands can be considered for a UHD player that will yield at least decent DVD upconversion, maybe NEAR the level that an OPPO would provide? I am reading things about the Cambridge Audio player, which is said to possess the same innards as the OPPO 203...is this true, do you know?
Cambridge comes from the same production line. I suspect they will be gone, too.

OPPO has taken up all my time in recent years so I haven't kept up with the performance of other brands. I think the baseline of DVD performance has gotten better since the old says when extra video processor chips were really big. Mediatek does quite well on its own.

There used to be an online database of DVD test results but that is long gone. No one seems to publish standard test results any more.

You might try canvassing here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...er-thread.html

-Bill
Osage_Winter likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #2583 of 3355 Old 06-01-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Cambridge comes from the same production line. I suspect they will be gone, too.

OPPO has taken up all my time in recent years so I haven't kept up with the performance of other brands. I think the baseline of DVD performance has gotten better since the old says when extra video processor chips were really big. Mediatek does quite well on its own.

There used to be an online database of DVD test results but that is long gone. No one seems to publish standard test results any more.

You might try canvassing here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...er-thread.html

-Bill
Damn...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 3355 Old 06-01-2018, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayWK View Post
What players are in the running for Plan B if not OPPO?
Your thoughts?
Gentlemen, start your (argument) engines ...

Can impressive sound and vision make Panasonic’s DP-UB9000 flagship UHD Blu-ray player king of the 4K jungle? [link]
swarm87 and Osage_Winter like this.
post #2585 of 3355 Old 06-01-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd View Post
Wow...

It LOOKS like an OPPO!

That aside, I would buy this if I'd be able to afford it; at over $1K U.S. (if that's the final price), I won't be able to. It's a nice looking deck though!

Thanks for the info!
post #2586 of 3355 Old 06-01-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:

Best part of the article

Chief video engineer Kazuhiko Kouno says that while that provides an opportunity for Panasonic, he was sad to see Oppo leave the market. “Competition is good for everyone,” he told Inside CI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sdg4vfx likes this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #2587 of 3355 Old 06-01-2018, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
DVD Audio and SACD is not supported.
mickboy likes this.

Media Room System: Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Streaming Stick+, Emotiva XMC-1 Processor (5.2 Setup), Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 Amp, (4) GoldenEar Aon 2 Speakers, (1) GoldenEar SuperCenter X, (2) SVS SB-1000 Subs, Logitech Harmony 900 Universal Remote, and Furman Elite-15 PFi Power Conditioner
Computer Audio System: AudioQuest DragonFly Red DAC, AudioQuest JitterBug, Audeze LCD-X Headphones, and Audiofly AF180 In-Ear Monitors
post #2588 of 3355 Old 06-01-2018, 05:16 PM

For that price, I suppose it should be; for me (personally) those features aren't a make-or-break factor.
post #2589 of 3355 Old 06-01-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4016 Post(s)
Liked: 3738
No SACD or DVD-Audio support, that's too bad, especially at that price.
mickboy likes this.
post #2590 of 3355 Old 06-01-2018, 05:31 PM

It sure is a nice-looking piece, though -- so much better than their original Blu-ray players (remember the DMP-BD10A? I still have one of those doing duty in the bedroom!) that came with those horrid plastic drop-down faces and such.

At least this player looks like it means business, with its brushed aluminum faceplate a la OPPO...
post #2591 of 3355 Old 06-01-2018, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Yes, it looks like a very nice build quality, not at all like those plastic odd-sized units you see so much of nowadays.
Osage_Winter likes this.
post #2592 of 3355 Old 06-01-2018, 06:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5837 Post(s)
Liked: 8327
And a cute little cooling fan...

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #2593 of 3355 Old 06-01-2018, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Actually the Sony's do SACDs as well
True. But that is why I wrote SACD quality comparable to the Oppo. IMO, the Sony is not as good as the Oppo 205 for audio.
mickboy likes this.
post #2594 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Given the reputation of Oppo's 203 & 205's, I'm surprised that some other brand or retail store (Best Buy) hasn't snapped up the entire company and treated it as a high-end boutique brand.

Despite what they suggest, I don't think physical discs will vanish entirely - look at what's happened to vinyl.
mickboy likes this.
post #2595 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnieto View Post
Given the reputation of Oppo's 203 & 205's, I'm surprised that some other brand or retail store (Best Buy) hasn't snapped up the entire company and treated it as a high-end boutique brand.

Despite what they suggest, I don't think physical discs will vanish entirely - look at what's happened to vinyl.
I don't think any company would release a product with no 3rd party streaming options these days, that would be suicidal.......
mickboy likes this.
post #2596 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayWK View Post
What players are in the running for Plan B if not OPPO?
Your thoughts?
If you want SACD and DVD-A playback the Sony 800, but it's hdmi only. Also the step up player the Sony 1000es, also does SACD and DVD-A playback as well as has two channel analog RCA output.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #2597 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter View Post
I simply couldn't believe when I read about OPPO's decision to cease production of physical media players (oddly enough, I had a sixth sense-like suspicion something like this was coming after I felt like I waited too long to buy the 203 UHD player), but being there's nothing any of us can do about it (unless we're lucky enough to be investors) I wanted to know if anyone could suggest the next course of action with regard to my particular situation...

I have been running a BDP-83 since the player's market introduction, and after using it on an almost nightly basis for more than a decade -- for DVD and BD playback -- it began to exhibit the drawer/loader issue; just last night, we attempted to watch Red Sparrow which we rented on DVD, and the 83 refused to read the disc, even locking up a few times to force me to turn the power off and then back on again. I think, in a nutshell, that the DVD loading may be toast on this player at this point, and I have contacted OPPO in the past about sending the player in for repair out of warranty.

So this is what I want to know:

- Should I have the 83 repaired while OPPO is still doing business, or is it not worth it at this point?
- Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a plan B for a UHD player? I am REALLY turned off by the looks and overall feel of the mainstream brands' players (like those from Samsung, Sony, LG et al) and wanted to get another OPPO (the 203 specifically) for UHD playback...but if faced with no other choice, what would be a good alternative to the OPPO? A Panasonic?
I think I'd repair it. You've definitely got your money's worth and you'll more than recoup the cost of the repair on the secondary market.

Depends on what you want for a player. If you have a 4k tv and it does DV, then maybe the Sony-700. If your TV doesn't have DV then perhaps the 800. Both do SACD if you want that. If you don't have a 4k tv yet and you are preparing for the future, I'd repair the 83, then wait and see who steps up to fill Oppo's shoes.
mickboy and Osage_Winter like this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #2598 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 662
The Panny looks like a great player. What I think is missing here is this is a dying niche. Physical media is being used less and less and the majority of the people that do want a player don’t want to pay over $200. Hate to say it but we are a small sector now. That’s why OPPO is getting out. They can’t see a profitable future.
mickboy likes this.
post #2599 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
The Panny looks like a great player. What I think is missing here is this is a dying niche. Physical media is being used less and less and the majority of the people that do want a player don’t want to pay over $200. Hate to say it but we are a small sector now. That’s why OPPO is getting out. They can’t see a profitable future.
no doubt about it... had a lot invested in my av system and a projector so i had no prob paying a premium for an oppo 103d back in the day, thought it was well worth the price when it arrived given the beautiful build quality and performance, but in the end i barely used it, in fact i ended up pulling it after not too long, to make room for other equipment... then i jumped on the 4k bandwagon about six months ago and picked up an oppo udp-203, along with a couple of dozen 4k discs, again i've found myself barely using the oppo, i'm just too dialed into the convenience of streaming, both online and local, alas...
Riot Nrrrd and mickboy like this.
post #2600 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Not this again…
post #2601 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 11:39 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Not this again…
A kernel of truth, i.e. that Oppo does not see as much of a profitable future making optical players as it does with committing their production facilities to making smartphone. Another kernal of truth is that physical media is being used less and less. Beyond that, this is speculation with no data to support it.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #2602 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
A kernel of truth, i.e. that Oppo does not see as much of a profitable future making optical players as it does with committing their production facilities to making smartphone. Another kernal of truth is that physical media is being used less and less. Beyond that, this is speculation with no data to support it.
How about this data? That's a pretty clear indication of which way things are going, and it's not good for shiny discs. For the record, I enjoy both formats, streaming, and disc immensely with my preferred option being disc.

post #2603 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Got my 203 delivered. Still working on theater but she is pretty. Looks good with my 103d.
Keenan and pappaduke like this.
post #2604 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I think I'd repair it. You've definitely got your money's worth and you'll more than recoup the cost of the repair on the secondary market.

Depends on what you want for a player. If you have a 4k tv and it does DV, then maybe the Sony-700. If your TV doesn't have DV then perhaps the 800. Both do SACD if you want that. If you don't have a 4k tv yet and you are preparing for the future, I'd repair the 83, then wait and see who steps up to fill Oppo's shoes.
Thanks Glan. No, I don't have a 4K TV yet.
post #2605 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
How about this data? That's a pretty clear indication of which way things are going, and it's not good for shiny discs. For the record, I enjoy both formats, streaming, and disc immensely with my preferred option being disc.
Yeah, but keep in mind - shiny discs are some total on DVD/BD sales + Kiosk + DVD/BD Subscriptions + B&M Rentals....no??? Might not be as simple as adding up the numbers raw and there you go, but it's still quite significant. Your point is well taken, though it will be a sad day when discs are no longer available. One less option for us, and all the cool collector stuff, extras, what not......gone? That sucks.
Keenan, chili555, snpanago and 2 others like this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #2606 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 09:53 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 2368
^ Also keep in mind that 1 year of data doesn't really prove anything. Even though streaming went up by 31% and shiny disc sales went down by 14% in any given year doesn't mean that disc sales are going to drop to 0 in a few years, nor does it mean that streaming revenue is going to climb to $50B in a few years. There's a reasonably good chance that both will somewhat level off in a few years and continue to coexist for quite some time. Sure, the overall long term trend is very likely for disc sales to slowly decline, but I suspect it's going to continue to be a profitable segment of the market for a while yet.
pepar, mickboy, Operon and 1 others like this.
post #2607 of 3355 Old 06-02-2018, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
no doubt about it... had a lot invested in my av system and a projector so i had no prob paying a premium for an oppo 103d back in the day, thought it was well worth the price when it arrived given the beautiful build quality and performance, but in the end i barely used it, in fact i ended up pulling it after not too long, to make room for other equipment... then i jumped on the 4k bandwagon about six months ago and picked up an oppo udp-203, along with a couple of dozen 4k discs, again i've found myself barely using the oppo, i'm just too dialed into the convenience of streaming, both online and local, alas...
Great honest post! The OPPO'S do much that it's overkill for like )90% of general users.
But it works great for the niche market we're in here.

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #2608 of 3355 Old 06-03-2018, 07:49 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboy View Post
Great honest post! The OPPO'S do much that it's overkill for like )90% of general users.
But it works great for the niche market we're in here.
I continue this OT side argument .. Is there data somewhere that gives usage information on optical disk users? Is someone who buys a 103D ... a “D” version yet, and barely uses it mainstream or an outlier? Ditto 203? Or are posts like these just expressing someone’s feelings or even their own personal preferences?

Beyond that, what must one’s viewing criteria be to prefer streaming a highly compressed version of a movie over a 4k version? I’m sure right here will be where the compression fans will step up and retort that Blu-rays and UHD content is compressed. Rather that join that brouhaha, I will close my post with relating it all to display size. If you are watching movies on a (plug in a number) say EIGHT FOOT or larger screen, your critical watching is Blu-ray/UHD. If you are watching on a 60” display or smaller, you may not see a difference.

So, I’ll toss out this nugget, if ya stream, you’re more likely watching on a “small” display.

Jeff
pjm877 and llang269 like this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #2609 of 3355 Old 06-03-2018, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Please take disc vs. streaming discussion to the thread in the Networking section.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...kill-disc.html

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #2610 of 3355 Old 06-03-2018, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
I continue this OT side argument .. Is there data somewhere that gives usage information on optical disk users? Is someone who buys a 103D ... a “D” version yet, and barely uses it mainstream or an outlier? Ditto 203? Or are posts like these just expressing someone’s feelings or even their own personal preferences?

Beyond that, what must one’s viewing criteria be to prefer streaming a highly compressed version of a movie over a 4k version? I’m sure right here will be where the compression fans will step up and retort that Blu-rays and UHD content is compressed. Rather that join that brouhaha, I will close my post with relating it all to display size. If you are watching movies on a (plug in a number) say EIGHT FOOT or larger screen, your critical watching is Blu-ray/UHD. If you are watching on a 60” display or smaller, you may not see a difference.

So, I’ll toss out this nugget, if ya stream, you’re more likely watching on a “small” display.

Jeff
Frankly the data is from asking owners about their usage patterns.
I've been hunting down used Oppo's now since their announcement and find that sellers are pretty straight forward, my own usage with my Maggy dvd/hdd recorders is like a lot of them, in the end I might have used the hdd to record a ton of programs, but rarely used the burner for actually making discs. Although the unit is 6 years old the DVD drive has almost no time on it. Same with my used Oppo's, all my recently bought used units look almost store boxed new. Loading time for discs is quick, if the lasers were worn badly then I'd see some problems, with these units, after a bit of use, if anything is going to break it would be the transport or the laser unit.
Plus a lot of OPPO owners also have dedicated 2 channel stereo setups for their regular cd's, leaving the Oppo's for special occasions, like impressing friends at movie parties.
Mickboy

Oh, and I just scored another OPPO bpd-83 for less than $150, one owner, all accessories and box.
The deals are out there, you just have to be diligent.

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page