AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Players (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/)
-   -   Pioneer BDLX UHD player anticipation (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2976738-pioneer-bdlx-uhd-player-anticipation.html)

alebonau 05-11-2018 03:53 PM

Pioneer BDLX UHD player anticipation

With the vacuum created by Oppo given their exit from the UHD and universal player market... does that leave the door open for another company to enter this space

one known and with a long and strong heritage of putting out some beautiful, amazing and very capable players ?

https://www.whathifi.com/news/pionee...-gap-left-oppo

Pioneer to fill 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player gap left by Oppo?

https://images.cdn.whathifi.com/site...neerteaser.png

"An image of what looks to be two soon-to-be-unveiled boxes covered by cloth has been posted on Pioneer’s Japanese website.

And as the page, spotted by Inside CI, has ‘BDLX’ in the URL, we’d put good money on them being Blu-ray players. That's based on the model numbers of its most recent players, 2014's BDP-LX58 and BDP-LX88.

What's more, it seems likely the mystery players would be of the 4K flavour - especially when you consider that the Japanese text on the teaser image reads ‘gyouten’ (which translates to ‘dawn’), with the bottom line translating to ‘finally’. That certainly suggests a new chapter for its players, and the kind we’ve been waiting for."

link to page on their website

http://jp.pioneer-audiovisual.com/bdlx/

Steve may from the uk similarly has posted a couple of articles on the same subject as per below,
http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/pione...rprobably.aspx

so we look forward to this dawn... it appears there will be two of them. two moons, two players under wraps like the two lx58 lx88 players that these will likely follow...

Pioneer as some might know are the one making the pc uhd drives so why not most likely to release a new line of uhd players for home cinemas ... though suspect like the lx58/88 it will be more in the universal player ilk with balanced out and sacd/dvda replay on top of other discs cd/dvd/blu-ray and all to stellar level like previous players

so here looking on in anticipation....

if there are more hints of news...do please post ....

Bob Pariseau 05-11-2018 06:15 PM

I wonder if there's more than one player stacked under that blue cloth to make it that tall? Or is that a big player in front and a smaller player behind/right?

:D
--Bob

alebonau 05-11-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau (Post 56174988)
I wonder if there's more than one player stacked under that blue cloth to make it that tall? Or is that a big player in front and a smaller player behind/right?

[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
--Bob

Definitely two players ... just as had the lx58 and lx88

The lx88 will be the grandaddy ! As pioneer has always done an all out affair ...

Two stacks....two moon... two players my bet

Doesn’t mean it can’t spawn a cheaply budget range too.

But I hope the top models are true universal players...to fill the gap of oppo players gone

Bill Mac 05-12-2018 03:03 AM

Should be very interesting to see what these Pioneer players are all about. Hopefully they won't be priced well out of everyone's price range.

Bill

glangford 05-12-2018 03:21 AM

Delete: duplicate post

glangford 05-12-2018 03:22 AM

Delete: duplicate post

glangford 05-12-2018 03:39 AM

The LX88 was 2000 bucks, the LX58 was 850 dollars. What Hi-Fi's review had both bested by the 103 and 105 players from Oppo. I'm not optimistic. If I needed a non oppo universal player the x1000es from sony would have to suffice.

It remains to be seen what pricing strategy Pioneer takes with these reported players. Do they play the audiophile snobbery game and price them like the LX88 and LX58, or do they try to capture the market by offering extraordinary features at Oppo like pricing. Time will tell, but I'm betting on the former.

woofer 05-12-2018 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glangford (Post 56175958)
The LX88 was 2000 bucks, the LX58 was 850 dollars. What Hi-Fi's review had both bested by the 103 and 105 players from Oppo. .

I still use my Pioneer LX88 :)...........for 1080P Bluray it outperforms both the Oppo 203 and the UB900........ONLY my HTPC with MadVR will outperform the LX88!

I have NEVER taken any reviews from "What Hi-Fi" to mean much!!

alebonau 05-12-2018 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glangford (Post 56175958)
The LX88 was 2000 bucks, the LX58 was 850 dollars. What Hi-Fi's review had both bested by the 103 and 105 players from Oppo. I'm not optimistic. If I needed a non oppo universal player the x1000es from sony would have to suffice.

It remains to be seen what pricing strategy Pioneer takes with these reported players. Do they play the audiophile snobbery game and price them like the LX88 and LX58, or do they try to capture the market by offering extraordinary features at Oppo like pricing. Time will tell, but I'm betting on the former.

if sony were serious they'd do a BDP 5000es replacement :)

I expect either pioneer bd lx player to be priced inth4e ball park of the lx88 / lx58....

Frank714 05-14-2018 04:37 AM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news (as I was equally VERY interested in a Pioneer UHD BD Player... :( )

https://www.4kfilme.de/pioneer-will-...r-fortfuehren/

Update 14-05-2018: Anscheinend hat sich Pioneer auf der High End 2018 Fachmesse in München direkt zu den Gerüchten geäußert. Man plane keine UHD-Player. Vielen Dank an Leser Lordberti für den Hinweis. Wir warten noch auf eine offizielle Bestätigung.

Translation:

Update May 14, 2018: It appears that Pioneer has reacted to these rumors during the High End 2018 exhibit in Munich (Germany). No UHD Players are planned. Many thanks to Reader Lordberti for the hint. We are waiting for an official confirmation.

Bob Pariseau 05-14-2018 04:52 AM

^ Maybe they are entering the market for dramatic blue table cloths?
—Bob

alebonau 05-14-2018 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank714 (Post 56183732)
~Many thanks to Reader Lordberti for the hint. We are waiting for an official confirmation.[/I]

we await.... :eek:

love_that_sound 05-14-2018 05:27 AM

ill buy it for sure.

gomo657 05-14-2018 05:34 AM

Pioneer BDLX UHD player anticipation

That comment doesn’t make any sense the page clearly refers to bd no one should be debuting a new 1080p player.

alebonau 05-14-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomo657 (Post 56183908)
That comment doesn’t make any sense the page clearly refers to bd no should be debuting a new 1080p player.

I agree appears something lost in translation ...either original website page... Or the comment ...am sure we’ll know at some stage ...

jleholeho 05-14-2018 07:45 AM

Interesting, I asked the Pioneer EU a direct question on this, waiting for response...but still, those covered boxes look remarkably big on the picture, might as well be a duo of new AVRs in my opinion...SC-LX802/902?

alebonau 05-16-2018 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleholeho (Post 56184464)
Interesting, I asked the Pioneer EU a direct question on this, waiting for response...but still, those covered boxes look remarkably big on the picture, might as well be a duo of new AVRs in my opinion...SC-LX802/902?

why though would they use the BDLX name for an AVR ?

anyways look forward to hearing the pioneer EU response...

whasaaaab 05-16-2018 09:53 PM

That link is only in the bluray player section not the AV section.

jleholeho 05-20-2018 02:26 PM

We’ll see then...no response from Pio yet:(

DanBa 06-13-2018 05:16 AM

alebonau 06-13-2018 06:30 AM

well found ... thats the first moon... one more to rise :D

am guessing an lx800... :cool:

Osage_Winter 06-13-2018 03:47 PM

This looks like a decent enough substitute for those of us who don't get lucky enough to snag a last OPPO; does anyone know what this beauty is going to retail for in the US, or has this not yet been established?

Also -- anyone care to speculate if ONKYO is going to jump on the UHD player bandwagon?

gadgtfreek 06-13-2018 03:52 PM

As long as it isn't a Sharponeer.

Osage_Winter 06-13-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek (Post 56339194)

You mean like the whole ELITE TV debacle?

If anything, shouldn't the Pioneer morph out or into some kind of ONKYO spinoff, being that the companies have merged?

gadgtfreek 06-13-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osage_Winter (Post 56339236)
You mean like the whole ELITE TV debacle?

If anything, shouldn't the Pioneer morph out or into some kind of ONKYO spinoff, being that the companies have merged?

Kinda. I had a couple of pioneer players early in blu that were elite and made by pioneer. Great pq and setting use. Then the last few pioneer branded players were made by sharp because I think pioneer stopped making them. Not sure on onkyos experience with players. I hope pioneer is getting back in the game properly.

alebonau 06-13-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osage_Winter (Post 56339158)
This looks like a decent enough substitute for those of us who don't get lucky enough to snag a last OPPO; does anyone know what this beauty is going to retail for in the US, or has this not yet been established?

Also -- anyone care to speculate if ONKYO is going to jump on the UHD player bandwagon?

well onkyo and pioneer are one and the same company now I believe... so quite a possibility we will see some clone-twins....

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek (Post 56339194)

hehe this is something i have always wondered since the demise of sharp themselves, but i do wonder if they left one iron still in the fire with the disc player side as I do believe they had quite a hand in the player side with blu-ray players they used to make

I wonder if these gorgeous players will mean a return of sony 5000es level player... but this time as a universal player ? wow that would be one amazing thing.

Osage_Winter 06-13-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek (Post 56339250)
Kinda. I had a couple of pioneer players early in blu that were elite and made by pioneer. Great pq and setting use. Then the last few pioneer branded players were made by sharp because I think pioneer stopped making them. Not sure on onkyos experience with players. I hope pioneer is getting back in the game properly.

Interesting.

What would be big sellers for me would be great DVD and Blu-ray upconversion to 4K (the Blu-ray upscaling is probably gonna be a given in all these machines); with regard to Onkyo, their Blu-ray players, if memory serves, were rebadged copies of others', so maybe there will be some kind of Pioneer/Onkyo clones...

Osage_Winter 06-13-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alebonau (Post 56339260)
well onkyo and pioneer are one and the same company now I believe... so quite a possibility we will see some clone-twins....

Yes, they are; indeed, it would be interesting to see if Onkyo releases their own version of the Pioneer or another perhaps less expensive variant. I'd buy it as a fan of the brand (plan to upgrade my 605 AVR eventually with another Onkyo) but it would have to prove itself with decent enough DVD upconversion to UHD...

With regard to Sony, don't they make an ES-branded premium UHD player?

gadgtfreek 06-13-2018 04:06 PM

I’m sure if it is rebadged avs detectives will know lol. Not sure who they could be rebadging, not many out there on the high end. I think I had the 320 in 2010 and 52 elite in 2011. Great players.

T-smith 06-13-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanBa (Post 56335674)

That design looks a lot like a Denon player...when they were actually making players anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk