OFFICIAL LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

post #301 of 754 Old 10-24-2018, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyJ View Post
Where did you get that it was 2.0? I just tried some H.265 2160P/HDR files with lossless audio (tried a few - TrueHD, DTS:X MA/DTS HD MA). Strangely it was unable to play the files with TrueHD (even though they also have a second audio stream that is regular AC3). It showed the wheel spinning, screen went black like it was about to, then back to spinning. Then a message saying it couldn't be played. The DTS:X/DTSHD MA played and the lossless was passed to my Denon X1400 (as well as the 4K/HDR). It did take a bit longer to start playing than I would like. Interestingly, my C8 had no problem playing any of these files directly from the same HDD (but it can't play the lossless audio tracks so reverts to the 2nd tracks with the lossy - which is of course moot because it can't pass it back through ARC anyway). I don't have any height speakers so can't test the Atmos DTS:X for sure.

I'm a bit of a noob so if you let me know check whether it's coming at 4:4:4 and 4k/60, I'll give it a go (out this weekend but can check early next week).

Also worth noting that when the subtitles are in the PGS (Blu-ray)/.SUP format in the MKV file, the player will see them (in that you can cycle through them on the menu), but it can't actual use them (can't select them to turn on). Between this shortcoming and not being able to play the files with TrueHD at all means I might be returning it.
For you to get Atmos via USB in Auto bistream, you need to download a BDMV m2ts file, if it is MKV the Atmos only works on PCM- multi channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 754 Old 10-25-2018, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 23
LG BD Player w/Vizio TV - w/24hz mode on BD, need I disable TV's 3:2 Film Mode?

I picked up the new-ish LG ubk90 Blu Ray player, to replace my Samsung 4K player (if I decide to keep the LG). Because, the LG has Dolby Vision - though to my dismay, hardly any UHD discs have dolby vision... anyway, it also seems snappier and more responsive.

Anyway, the LG has an option for 60hz and 24hz. I set it to 24hz. It works. It looks good, but it looks almost too smooth. Not soap opera, just like really smooth. Ok, so maybe that is correct and I got used to judder. Woohoo! Or, maybe it's doing something weird if I leave on Vizio's Film Mode which is suppose to correct 3:2 pull down. Should I be sure to DISABLE any Film Mode setting as such if I have my BluRay synced to display native 24fps content, or do I need to make sure to leave this on?

My TV is the Vizio P75-F1.

Thank you!
post #303 of 754 Old 10-25-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 494
24hz makes 3:2 pull down no longer necessary. That was only needed for 60hz output. You TV should either auto disabled film mode for 24hz signal or have an auto setting for film mode.

Majority of BD and UHD discs are 24p native film. So, film mode on TV is rarely needed.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 754 Old 10-27-2018, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys, i just purchase a optoma uhd 65 and am looking for a 4k player that might have the proper tone mapping for this unit. Do you think the ubk 90 is the one i should go with? Or would it make a projector hdr look dark?
post #305 of 754 Old 11-02-2018, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has a ubk90 and PQ65-F1 combo. I am only interested on the picture quality and how it's being presented on the Vizio.
how is the up conversion of standard blu-rays?

Many thanks

Denon AVR- X4200W, Boston A7200 Amp,
SVS MTS-01, SVS MCS-01 , Polk FXi50 Surrounds, SVS 20-39plus (2)
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DP-UB820P-K, Apple 4K TV
Vizio PQ65-F1
My DVD Collection
post #306 of 754 Old 11-07-2018, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello,

Could you post a screenshot while playing an 1080p mkv with external srt subtitles?

Thank you in advance
post #307 of 754 Old 11-08-2018, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
I picked up the new-ish LG ubk90 Blu Ray player, to replace my Samsung 4K player (if I decide to keep the LG). Because, the LG has Dolby Vision - though to my dismay, hardly any UHD discs have dolby vision... anyway, it also seems snappier and more responsive.

Anyway, the LG has an option for 60hz and 24hz. I set it to 24hz. It works. It looks good, but it looks almost too smooth. Not soap opera, just like really smooth. Ok, so maybe that is correct and I got used to judder. Woohoo! Or, maybe it's doing something weird if I leave on Vizio's Film Mode which is suppose to correct 3:2 pull down. Should I be sure to DISABLE any Film Mode setting as such if I have my BluRay synced to display native 24fps content, or do I need to make sure to leave this on?

Thank you!
THANK YOU! I am noticing the same issue on the P65-F1. Even saw the same issue on the TCL 6 series. Thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me, but glad someone else is seeing it. Funny enough, when on 60hz things look normal, and no amount of tinkering on the Vizio seems to eliminate the smoothness of the 24p playback.
Probably going back to the Sony X700 since that can do Dolby Vision 60hz, even if I have to turn it on and off. At least I think it does 60hz. I just don't know why my brain can't adjust to 24p on this TV.

I also only notice the issue with 24p 4K content, as 24p blu ray discs look fine for the most part.
post #308 of 754 Old 11-08-2018, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 23
---------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonciplebone View Post
THANK YOU! I am noticing the same issue on the P65-F1. Even saw the same issue on the TCL 6 series. Thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me, but glad someone else is seeing it. Funny enough, when on 60hz things look normal, and no amount of tinkering on the Vizio seems to eliminate the smoothness of the 24p playback.
Probably going back to the Sony X700 since that can do Dolby Vision 60hz, even if I have to turn it on and off. At least I think it does 60hz. I just don't know why my brain can't adjust to 24p on this TV.

I also only notice the issue with 24p 4K content, as 24p blu ray discs look fine for the most part.
Interesting thanks for bringing this up. I am noticing it on my AppleTV as well with match source frame rate (hence 24hz).

Have you tried turning off "film mode"? Is the Vizio doing something weird to reduce jutter under the hood?

Can anyone else speak into this?
post #309 of 754 Old 11-08-2018, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post

Interesting thanks for bringing this up. I am noticing it on my AppleTV as well with match source frame rate (hence 24hz).

Have you tried turning off "film mode"? Is the Vizio doing something weird to reduce jutter under the hood?

Can anyone else speak into this?
Same issue with AppleTV. Film mode off doesn't make much difference on AppleTV that I have messed with, but still trying to figure it out. It is weird that blu ray discs play back totally fine at 24p but once you go to HDR things get screwy.
post #310 of 754 Old 11-15-2018, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Yep. And you just identified the main issue with CEC, which is its lack of standardization so that it rarely works across various mfrs. CEC can even have issues within the same mfr which is very frustrating. That's why I gave up on ARC/CEC years ago and went with an optical cable instead of ARC for the SmartApps/OTA television and a Harmony remote in lieu of CEC. Thanks.

Wouldn't using optical cables from your TV to the AVR mean that you lose advanced sound capabilities about DD 5.1? I'm having some issues with ARC currently with my TV (LG 55" non OLED 4K), and using optical, but I never see anything above stereo using the Netflix smart TV app. When ARC used to work, I'd get DD+ and other advanced sound.

I'm looking at this player now, Using a Sony UBPx800 which I haven't been happy with (freezups, no DV support), but it seems like there might be similar issues with freezeups.

Steve
post #311 of 754 Old 11-15-2018, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3446 Post(s)
Liked: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post
Wouldn't using optical cables from your TV to the AVR mean that you lose advanced sound capabilities about DD 5.1? I'm having some issues with ARC currently with my TV (LG 55" non OLED 4K), and using optical, but I never see anything above stereo using the Netflix smart TV app. When ARC used to work, I'd get DD+ and other advanced sound.

I'm looking at this player now, Using a Sony UBPx800 which I haven't been happy with (freezups, no DV support), but it seems like there might be similar issues with freezeups.
Yes. The best optical can do is 5.1 (maybe DD+) and in some cases lossy Atmos. Pretty much the same as the current ARC. Most folks have an AVR as the hub of their HTS so that all of their connected devices are run thru the AVR and just video is sent to the tv. That way you have all of the most advanced audio codecs available so your audio is only limited to the original source encoding. I don't bother with SmartApps and prefer to use an external device for all of my streaming needs.

I purchased the LG UBK90 as a UHD DV-capable blu-ray player and it has worked extremely well for what I've run thru it.
post #312 of 754 Old 11-15-2018, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked: 3069
Did the LG UBK90 ever get a firmware update to output the Sony low latency profile (5) version of DV?
post #313 of 754 Old 11-16-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
Yes. The best optical can do is 5.1 (maybe DD+) and in some cases lossy Atmos. Pretty much the same as the current ARC. Most folks have an AVR as the hub of their HTS so that all of their connected devices are run thru the AVR and just video is sent to the tv. That way you have all of the most advanced audio codecs available so your audio is only limited to the original source encoding. I don't bother with SmartApps and prefer to use an external device for all of my streaming needs.

I purchased the LG UBK90 as a UHD DV-capable blu-ray player and it has worked extremely well for what I've run thru it.
Optical does DD, but not DD+. Also optical has a lower max bitrate than HDMI.
https://www.lifewire.com/digital-opt...ection-1846881

The advantage of Optical is reliability but the disadvantage is lower sound quality.
post #314 of 754 Old 11-16-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Optical does DD, but not DD+. Also optical has a lower max bitrate than HDMI.
https://www.lifewire.com/digital-opt...ection-1846881

The advantage of Optical is reliability but the disadvantage is lower sound quality.
Some users here have reported DD+ via optical and lossy Atmos via ARC but I have no way of confirming that. ARC and optical are basically the same at this point in time. ARC can be very reliable under certain circumstances, and it does eliminate the extra cable (optical) but its association with CEC is a major problem. For OTA and SmartApps (at least so far), audio is discrete 5.1 so that's about the best one can do for those sources. I think a lot of folks would have a hard time discerning between DD and DD+. However, for me, ARC is not necessary because all of my sources go thru the AVR first so there are no issues at all with audio quality. i use optical for cable HDTV and that's it.
post #315 of 754 Old 11-16-2018, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
Some users here have reported DD+ and lossy Atmos via optical but I have no way of confirming that. ARC and optical are basically the same at this point in time. ARC can be very reliable under certain circumstances, and it does eliminate the extra cable (optical) but its association with CEC is a major problem. For OTA and SmartApps (at least so far), audio is discrete 5.1 so that's about the best one can do for those sources. I think a lot of folks would have a hard time discerning between DD and DD+. However, for me, ARC is not necessary because all of my sources go thru the AVR first so there are no issues at all with audio quality. i use optical for cable HDTV and that's it.
Lossy ATMOS requires DD+, and optical isn't capable of that. See the link I posted in my previous post.

Totally agree with you that ARC can be problematic, and that using external sources through an AVR eliminates that problem. However some people have an environment that is not conducive to using an AVR and speakers, plus some people have AVRs without HDR pass through and need to connect directly to their TV and rely on the TV's sound output.

For some, the smart apps provide advantage vs an external app. Example, LG OLEDs have Netflix Dolby Vision and ATMOS. If one is using an external device that doesn't support DV and ATMOS, the internal smart app is preferable.
post #316 of 754 Old 11-16-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Lossy ATMOS requires DD+, and optical isn't capable of that. See the link I posted in my previous post.

Totally agree with you that ARC can be problematic, and that using external sources through an AVR eliminates that problem. However some people have an environment that is not conducive to using an AVR and speakers, plus some people have AVRs without HDR pass through and need to connect directly to their TV and rely on the TV's sound output.

For some, the smart apps provide advantage vs an external app. Example, LG OLEDs have Netflix Dolby Vision and ATMOS. If one is using an external device that doesn't support DV and ATMOS, the internal smart app is preferable.
I agree. And as I mentioned, some users have reported DD+ via optical but I had no way of confirming that, so it was just an observation.
post #317 of 754 Old 11-16-2018, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Did the LG UBK90 ever get a firmware update to output the Sony low latency profile (5) version of DV?

On 10/30/18 this was posted on the Sony x930e thread. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57035256

User Lend27 wrote:
I have a 930E and also purchased a UBK90. I dont use the UBK90 much, just have about 10 4K Blurays. But last time I checked it would not
play Dolby Vision on the Sony. Sony is using a weird profile. They implied that it might play DV at a later date via an upgrade, but last I checked there were no updates.
I will check it again later today and give you an update.

UPDATE:
I tried to play a Dolby Vision Bluray and it shows HDR but not DV.
Also tried to play "Lost in Space" on Netflix and does not show DV.
Tried to update the UBK90 and no updates available.
Looks like we are out of luck.

I would purchase this player right now if it supported DV on Sony TV's.
post #318 of 754 Old 11-16-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSVT View Post
On 10/30/18 this was posted on the Sony x930e thread. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57035256

User Lend27 wrote:
I have a 930E and also purchased a UBK90. I dont use the UBK90 much, just have about 10 4K Blurays. But last time I checked it would not
play Dolby Vision on the Sony. Sony is using a weird profile. They implied that it might play DV at a later date via an upgrade, but last I checked there were no updates.
I will check it again later today and give you an update.

UPDATE:
I tried to play a Dolby Vision Bluray and it shows HDR but not DV.
Also tried to play "Lost in Space" on Netflix and does not show DV.
Tried to update the UBK90 and no updates available.
Looks like we are out of luck.

I would purchase this player right now if it supported DV on Sony TV's.
Bummer... IMHO that leaves no real good options for Sony TV owners who want DV. The Panasonic 820 is expensive because you're paying for their fancy tone mapping that you don't need. The Sony X700 is broken (IMHO) requiring manual control of DV. The Philips can't do 3D correctly and is slow. The UBK90 doesn't support the Sony "Low-Latency" DV profile. I guess it's a waiting game for next year's models...
post #319 of 754 Old 11-16-2018, 05:07 PM

The so-called low latency profile means majority of the DV processing needs to be done on the player side with some serious processing power so that Sony could save a few bucks on TV hardware. That's a good idea if you are using a powerful game console. But it means the player can't be cheap because it needs beefy processor to compensate for the TV.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
post #320 of 754 Old 11-16-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
The so-called low latency profile means majority of the DV processing needs to be done on the player side with some serious processing power so that Sony could save a few bucks on TV hardware. That's a good idea if you are using a powerful game console. But it means the player can't be cheap because it needs beefy processor to compensate for the TV.
Well, the X700 and Philips support it. So does the Apple TV. They're not expensive. Dolby is entirely to blame for this mess.
post #321 of 754 Old 11-16-2018, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Dolby is entirely to blame for this mess.
Yes, Dolby should not have bowed down to Sony and produced the Lite weight protocol for them to make up for Sony being cheap and not putting either a dedicated Dolby Vision processor in the TVs like LG and Vizio or at least Sony could have put a main processor in their displays that had enough horsepower to do the Dolby Vision processing. So the real blame should go to Sony for their infinite cheapness!
post #322 of 754 Old 11-17-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwishart View Post
... and not putting either a dedicated Dolby Vision processor in the TVs like LG and Vizio ...
There is no dedicated DV processor in current TVs. The early ones did, but they don't anymore.
post #323 of 754 Old 11-17-2018, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwishart View Post
Yes, Dolby should not have bowed down to Sony and produced the Lite weight protocol for them to make up for Sony being cheap and not putting either a dedicated Dolby Vision processor in the TVs like LG and Vizio or at least Sony could have put a main processor in their displays that had enough horsepower to do the Dolby Vision processing. So the real blame should go to Sony for their infinite cheapness!

The truly sad thing is that currently in the US I believe only the LG OLEDS, some of the TCL products and Vizio are the only options for Dolby Vision. Why is this? Is it the cost only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"These go to eleven." - Great words from Nigel Tufnel.
post #324 of 754 Old 11-17-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeintel View Post
The truly sad thing is that currently in the US I believe only the LG OLEDS, some of the TCL products and Vizio are the only options for Dolby Vision. Why is this? Is it the cost only?
Sony has it on a pile of their TVs. Samsung wants to push their own format, HDR+. What other companies are you expecting to bother with it?
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #325 of 754 Old 11-17-2018, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 83
OFFICIAL LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Sony has it on a pile of their TVs. Samsung wants to push their own format, HDR+. What other companies are you expecting to bother with it?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only Sony display that has Dolby Vision is the OLEDS.

LG only offers DV for the OLEDS as well. None of the other models get it.

MY MISTAKE, after reading the specs of the new Sony they do support DV. I stand corrected
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"These go to eleven." - Great words from Nigel Tufnel.

Last edited by pmeintel; 11-17-2018 at 09:14 AM.
post #326 of 754 Old 11-17-2018, 10:02 AM

As long as there are competing formats, consumers, especially early adopters, always lose. I won't buy into either formats (or 4K in general) until dust settles. At this stage, Samsung seems own the top end TV market (where DV or HDR truly matters). LG is second and Sony is behind LG.
post #327 of 754 Old 11-17-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
At this stage, Samsung seems own the top end TV market (where DV or HDR truly matters). LG is second and Sony is behind LG.
Huh? Where you get that data? AFAIK, Samsung has been pushed out of the top end TV market over the past few years.

Quote:
Samsung last year only got an 18.5 percent share of global sales for premium TVs, based on dollar revenue, down from 54.7 percent in 2015, according to research firm IHS Markit. Meanwhile, Sony and LG have leapfrogged Samsung to grab 36.9 percent and 33 percent of the market respectively.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1I24K2
post #328 of 754 Old 11-17-2018, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Lg ubk90

After reading this entire thread I decided to order one for my guest room setup. I have a small 43" Vizio 4K HDR TV and a 7.1.2 Pioneer system for the sound. This should work well as long as the LG and Vizio play nice together. Costco has the LG at a good price for the holidays. If worst comes to worst, I need a new player for the garage anyway! Best of all this won't break the bank.

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR X-4500H,AudioSource 2 channel amp,(3) Hsu CCB-8 bookshelf speakers, (2) Hsu HB-1 speakers,(Monoprice Monolith 28" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speakers, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
post #329 of 754 Old 11-18-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Huh? Where you get that data? AFAIK, Samsung has been pushed out of the top end TV market over the past few years.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1I24K2
Read it here https://bgr.com/2018/10/04/samsung-p...re-lead-wider/

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk
post #330 of 754 Old 11-18-2018, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Please stick to discussion of the Blu-ray player. Take everything else to the proper forum area.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
disable on screen display , lg ubk 90 , on screen pop ups

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page