OFFICIAL LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 163Likes

post #541 of 891 Old 02-14-2019, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdred View Post
I find this kind of comical. It's been almost a year this this player dropped and there has been no updates at all on it. If they want to remain competitive they need to allow more applications for streaming like the other vendors.
If LG at least solved the problem of BUG Netflix intermittent Dolby Vision, it would be a breakthrough, nor can this solve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 891 Old 02-14-2019, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 41
No particular new features are required IMO, they just need to fix the HDMI-CEC issue...the player otherwise works flawlessly, I watched Gladiator in Dolby Vision last night and it was spectacular. I never experienced any bugs in Netflix on mine.
post #543 of 891 Old 02-14-2019, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI CEC issues

I posted this on the Yamaha receiver thread and relates to the LG UBK80 so I am posting it here as well...

Samsung NU8000 (HDMI 4 with ARC) ---> Yamaha A880 HDMI Out 1 (with ARC)
My LG UBK80 Bluray player is connected to HDMI 2 at the A880.

Whenever I switch to HDMI 2 on the receiver and start playing a film on the Blu-ray player, after couple seconds the receiver will automatically switch to TV/Audio 1 as if I am accessing my TV apps. So my screen is showing the contents from HDMI 2 but the sound the receiver is trying to obtain from the TV ARC. It seems like some type of signal is being passed to the TV and passed back to the receiver making it thinks that I maybe using my TV while I was trying to use my Blu-ray player.

Is this another HDMI CEC issue that's can't be corrected unless by turning SimpleLink off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 891 Old 02-14-2019, 11:08 AM

Yes most likely it is...
I’m curious what will LG do about this (since they promised to raise a concern).
Nevertheless, just received the Lindy HDMI-CEC LESS adapter today and happily, it works like a charm..,no input switching chaos anymore. HDR and Dolby Vision works flawlessly.
Paid 12 euros delivered from Germany.
post #545 of 891 Old 02-14-2019, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
No particular new features are required IMO, they just need to fix the HDMI-CEC issue...the player otherwise works flawlessly, I watched Gladiator in Dolby Vision last night and it was spectacular. I never experienced any bugs in Netflix on mine.
I think they should add the LG app store like the tv has. This would allow us not to use arc for audio if using tv apps and instead use the player to run apps.
post #546 of 891 Old 02-14-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kwan View Post
I posted this on the Yamaha receiver thread and relates to the LG UBK80 so I am posting it here as well...

Samsung NU8000 (HDMI 4 with ARC) ---> Yamaha A880 HDMI Out 1 (with ARC)
My LG UBK80 Bluray player is connected to HDMI 2 at the A880.

Whenever I switch to HDMI 2 on the receiver and start playing a film on the Blu-ray player, after couple seconds the receiver will automatically switch to TV/Audio 1 as if I am accessing my TV apps. So my screen is showing the contents from HDMI 2 but the sound the receiver is trying to obtain from the TV ARC. It seems like some type of signal is being passed to the TV and passed back to the receiver making it thinks that I maybe using my TV while I was trying to use my Blu-ray player.

Is this another HDMI CEC issue that's can't be corrected unless by turning SimpleLink off?
This is unrelated to the player's HDMI CEC issue (not being able to turn it off). Most TVs will indeed issue a input switch command via CEC to the attached ARC sound device, a soundbar or receiver, after power up. This is needed to ensure proper operation of the soundbars attached to TV (via HDMI ARC). But will wreck havoc with receivers when you typically connect devices to receiver instead to TV. I have no ftound any reliable combination of HDMI CEC on + ARC from TV (only for TV app sounds only) and receiver. I end up either turn off TV ARC or turn off HDMI CEC on receiver and use the Harmony remote to operate them reliably.
post #547 of 891 Old 02-15-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
Your Netflix does not stay all the time in DV, interface in DV, profile in DV, HD movies in DV, unless your signature is not Ultra.
post #548 of 891 Old 02-15-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmilano View Post
Your Netflix does not stay all the time in DV, interface in DV, profile in DV, HD movies in DV, unless your signature is not Ultra.
Somehow Netflix wants the entire interface to be in HDR/DV all the time. And that's how exactly it is on games consoles for many years already. Not something LG can do. And don't expect any changes, from Netflix, anytime soon.
post #549 of 891 Old 02-15-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Somehow Netflix wants the entire interface to be in HDR/DV all the time. And that's how exactly it is on games consoles for many years already. Not something LG can do. And don't expect any changes, from Netflix, anytime soon.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong, it's a BUG yes, my LG Oled TV 65E7, Netflix is ​​normal, only have DV in DV movies, Apple TV 4k also had this BUG, ​​it was fixed through a FW update, there is no picture worse than a forced HD movie for DV.
post #550 of 891 Old 02-15-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmilano View Post
I was talking about Ultra HD movie (physical disc) Gladiator in Dolby Vision that I watched thru the UBK90...regarding Netflix, forced HDR/DV on Xbox One S, this UHD player, Apple TV etc. is probably a deliberate design from the device manufacturer, not Netflix itself.

Last edited by jleholeho; 02-15-2019 at 05:57 AM.
post #551 of 891 Old 02-15-2019, 06:05 AM

PS4 has the same force HDR/DV.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #552 of 891 Old 02-15-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
PS4 has the same force HDR/DV.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It's just a matter of updating FW, I have Roku Ultra and I have no problem with the HDR / DV BUG forced.
post #553 of 891 Old 02-15-2019, 08:49 AM

But, given this is nothing new (existed in other platforms for couple years now). It is not a bug in a particular platform. But rather a greater issue with Netflix itself.

If LG is too lazy to put out one simple toggle setting to turn off HDMI CEC, it definitely won't go extra mile to accommodate Netflix. Not to mention the missing of other major streaming app: Amazon Prime Video. What about DLNA support to play media off the home network?
post #554 of 891 Old 02-15-2019, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4028 Post(s)
Liked: 2889
Quote:
But, given this is nothing new (existed in other platforms for couple years now). It is not a bug in a particular platform. But rather a greater issue with Netflix itself.

If LG is too lazy to put out one simple toggle setting to turn off HDMI CEC, it definitely won't go extra mile to accommodate Netflix. Not to mention the missing of other major streaming app: Amazon Prime Video. What about DLNA support to play media off the home network?

I don't bother with the streaming apps on the UBK90 (or the 65 C8 for that matter) because I prefer to use an external device. That being said, I have not had any issues between my UBK90, the C8, and the Yamaha A-780 receiver. Playback on the UBK90 has been issue-free with gorgeous pq. I have ARC/CEC disabled on all of my HDMI connected devices, with the exception of the UBK90, and do not have and CEC issues. I use a Harmony 700 to control my HTS and it works just fine. I don't use, nor need the Lindy CECless adapter, which I understand does work well for some.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #555 of 891 Old 02-15-2019, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Can't find anything in a search.

Does anyone know if the USB port is compatible with USB Hubs?

Thanks

Mains: Revel Salon2's powered by ATI AT6002
Center: Revel C208
Surrounds: Revel F208
SW: SVS PB 13 Ultra
Amp: Emotiva XPR5 (surrounds & center)
LG 65 B6P & EF9500
post #556 of 891 Old 02-16-2019, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm on my 2nd player now and I keep having issues with loss of video. I tried going directly to my vizio pq65-f1 and the screen still cuts out. And when I run through my new Yamaha receiver it's even worse. The audio works fine. Tried multiple hdmi cables and nothing works. Is this player just not compatible with vizios?
post #557 of 891 Old 02-16-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxrd55 View Post
I'm on my 2nd player now and I keep having issues with loss of video. I tried going directly to my vizio pq65-f1 and the screen still cuts out. And when I run through my new Yamaha receiver it's even worse. The audio works fine. Tried multiple hdmi cables and nothing works. Is this player just not compatible with vizios?
I am having problems with audio drop outs but I think that is really a sound bar issue. Working with Nakamichi support on it. Have you checked your settings in the player to see it it's set to 24 or 60hz? If set to 60hz can you try 24hz?
post #558 of 891 Old 02-17-2019, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi, just got this player, everything is great except one thing, this notification keeps popping up non stop during movies, and it's really annoying. Anyone know how to get rid of it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #559 of 891 Old 02-17-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanSpitz View Post
Hi, just got this player, everything is great except one thing, this notification keeps popping up non stop during movies, and it's really annoying. Anyone know how to get rid of it?

I have never seen that icon before on my ubk90.
post #560 of 891 Old 02-17-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I have never seen that icon before on my ubk90.
I think it's likely an indication of internet connection. For some reason it doesn't seem able to maintain a stable connection with my router. Any idea how to just disable the WiFi connection? I couldn't find a way to turn it off after it connected. I was hoping for a way to simply disable the icon.

post #561 of 891 Old 02-18-2019, 06:56 PM

I have been doing a lot of testing as of late due to an issue I have seen in which audio keeps going out to my Nakamichi Soundwafe 9.2.4 Atmos sound bar. It appears the issue is related to bluray disks that have HDR10 and Dolby Atmos. Disks that have Atmos and Vision play fine. Disks with dts and HDR10 play fine. Disks with dts-ma and HDR10 play fine.

Here are some of my findings:
Xmen First class - 4k / DTS HD Master Audio / HDR10
- This movie played fine with no issues.

Mission Impossible Fallout - 4k / Dolby Atmos True Hd / Dolby Vision 

X-Men Apocalypse  - 4k / Dolby Atmos True Hd / HDR10 / branding on front shows Ultra HD Premium 
- 00:27:40 audio out resumed after about 5 seconds
- 00:40:02 audio stopped, waited 10 seconds did not resume paused and played movie audio returned after 2 seconds.
- 00:44:17 audio stopped, waited 10 seconds did not resume paused and played movie audio returned.
- 01:07:15 audio stopped, waited 10 seconds did not resume paused and played movie audio returned.

Logan - 4k / Dolby Atmos True Hd / HDR10 / branding on front shows Ultra HD Premium 
- 01:03:15 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back.
- 01:28:45 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back.
- 01:31:32 audio out for about 3 seconds and came back on its own
- 01:54:02 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back.
- 01:58:47 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back. This time there was a stumble for a split second then audio out.
- 02:00:22 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back.  This time there was a stumble for a split second then audio out
- 02:03:45 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back. 
- 02:08:15 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back.  This one I recorded and posted to YouTube   

San Andreas - 4k / Dolby Atmos True Hd / HDR10
- this movie lost audio about 9x, I did not.time stamp this movie.

I have Monoprice hdmi high speed certified cables. Problem still exists. I went one step further and for my connection from LG UBK90 to Nakamichi and from Nakamichi to LG C8 tv installed Belkin ultra high speed hdmi cables rated at 48gbps, problem still exist.

I have been working very closely with Nakamichi and it's starting to look like the problem is the LG player. I have tried about 6 different Nakamichi firmwares as well and this issue still persists.
Nakamichi has extensively tested Sony and Samsung 4k players with John Wick and have had no problems. They have ordered the other movies I have listed here and an LG UBK90 player to test further. I have tried about 6 different Nakamichi firmwares as well and this issue still persists.

Anyone else seeing similar issues with this player?
post #562 of 891 Old 02-19-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
I have been doing a lot of testing as of late due to an issue I have seen in which audio keeps going out to my Nakamichi Soundwafe 9.2.4 Atmos sound bar. It appears the issue is related to bluray disks that have HDR10 and Dolby Atmos. Disks that have Atmos and Vision play fine. Disks with dts and HDR10 play fine. Disks with dts-ma and HDR10 play fine.

Here are some of my findings:
Xmen First class - 4k / DTS HD Master Audio / HDR10

Mission Impossible Fallout - 4k / Dolby Atmos True Hd / Dolby Vision 

X-Men Apocalypse  - 4k / Dolby Atmos True Hd / HDR10 / branding on front shows Ultra HD Premium 
- 00:27:40 audio out resumed after about 5 seconds
- 00:40:02 audio stopped, waited 10 seconds did not resume paused and played movie audio returned after 2 seconds.
- 00:44:17 audio stopped, waited 10 seconds did not resume paused and played movie audio returned.
- 01:07:15 audio stopped, waited 10 seconds did not resume paused and played movie audio returned.

Logan - 4k / Dolby Atmos True Hd / HDR10 / branding on front shows Ultra HD Premium 
- 01:03:15 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back.
- 01:28:45 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back.
- 01:31:32 audio out for about 3 seconds and came back on its own
- 01:54:02 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back.
- 01:58:47 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back. This time there was a stumble for a split second then audio out.
- 02:00:22 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back.  This time there was a stumble for a split second then audio out
- 02:03:45 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back. 
- 02:08:15 audio out. Paused and played movie and audio came back.  This one I recorded and posted to YouTube   

San Andreas - 4k / Dolby Atmos True Hd / HDR10
- this movie lost audio about 9x, I did not.time stamp this movie.

I have Monoprice hdmi high speed certified cables. Problem still exists. I went one step further and for my connection from LG UBK90 to Nakamichi and from Nakamichi to LG C8 tv installed Belkin ultra high speed hdmi cables rated at 48gbps, problem still exist.

I have been working very closely with Nakamichi and it's starting to look like the problem is the LG player. I have tried about 6 different Nakamichi firmwares as well and this issue still persists.
Nakamichi has extensively tested Sony and Samsung 4k players with John Wick and have had no problems. They have ordered the other movies I have listed here and an LG UBK90 player to test further. I have tried about 6 different Nakamichi firmwares as well and this issue still persists.

Anyone else seeing similar issues with this player?
Here with LGUP970 / 65E7 / ONKYO TX-RZ720, I have no audio loss problem with 4K UHD media being DV / HDR10, including with San Andreas, and Logan.
post #563 of 891 Old 02-19-2019, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I am having problems with audio drop outs but I think that is really a sound bar issue. Working with Nakamichi support on it. Have you checked your settings in the player to see it it's set to 24 or 60hz? If set to 60hz can you try 24hz?
Tried changing to 24hz and I was able to play one movie from start to finish! Unfortunately later on that day when I powered it up again it was back to the same flashing screen that was so bad I couldn't even get to the menu screen to see if it was still at 24hz. I'm done at this point and since Costco still hasn't adjusted my price for the replacement its going back and I'm looking into other players.
post #564 of 891 Old 02-19-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I just purchased the UBK90 yesterday from BB (Best Buy)...
I connected the HDMI2 (audio only) to my 2012 Pioneer vsx-1122k AVR (BD input 3), the AVR is Hdmi connected to my 2010 UNC6400 1080p HDTV(HDMI1DVI input)...works great! If using both HDMI out's from the UBK90 is better then how would I connect these? The AVR has only 1 output to a display (HDTV n my case).
The upscaling made these DVD's that are newly purchased but filmed back in 2011 look great!

Last edited by teachsac; 02-19-2019 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Edited for price talk
post #565 of 891 Old 02-19-2019, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanSpitz View Post

I have that same logo displayed, appears on occasion and is very annoying. I think it's losing the internet connection to the player, however, my other devices do not lose the connection. I'm also still having issues of the player freezing when playing BD 100 discs.
post #566 of 891 Old 02-19-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal.d View Post
I have that same logo displayed, appears on occasion and is very annoying. I think it's losing the internet connection to the player, however, my other devices do not lose the connection. I'm also still having issues of the player freezing when playing BD 100 discs.
I've had problems with freezing with BD-R XL discs that I burned myself, but no issues with any UHD discs.

I'm thinking or wiring over Ethernet to see if that fixes the issue as I don't see much of an alternative player with this feature set.

post #567 of 891 Old 02-22-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Previous posters (around July) determined that you can't really disable the player from upscaling if it detects a DV-capable tv. The options are either Auto or 2160. I leave mine at Auto and haven't noticed any loss of pq on my 65 C8 when playing blu-ray discs.
This is a personal opinion : My setup: UBK90 connected to 65” LG C8 via Hdmi, UBK90 hdmi 2 connected to Pioneer vsx-1123. The player upscaling 1080p Blu-ray’s looks great, as good or better than TV upscaling from any other device sending 1080. For some reason I feel that a Ultra Blu-ray player would understand Blu-ray better than a TV or receiver & therefore do a better job of upscaling (you know your children better than anyone else).

Overall opinion: let the player do the upscaling & get over it.
paulman182 likes this.
post #568 of 891 Old 02-22-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
This is a personal opinion : My setup: UBK90 connected to 65” LG C8 via Hdmi, UBK90 hdmi 2 connected to Pioneer vsx-1123. The player upscaling 1080p Blu-ray’s looks great, as good or better than TV upscaling from any other device sending 1080. For some reason I feel that a Ultra Blu-ray player would understand Blu-ray better than a TV or receiver & therefore do a better job of upscaling (you know your children better than anyone else).

For me, that's too many cables. A single HDMI cable to my receiver is all that I need (Yamaha A-780). 1080p blu-rays look great upscaled and UHD disks look even better. I don't think it's necessary to run a second HDMI cable because the C8 appears to do the job just fine. My receiver is set to pass all audio and video as it was originally encoded (no artificial video or sound enhancements). Oh, and I don't have anything to get over
beerhunt likes this.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 02-22-2019 at 04:23 PM.
post #569 of 891 Old 02-23-2019, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
For me, that's too many cables. A single HDMI cable to my receiver is all that I need (Yamaha A-780). 1080p blu-rays look great upscaled and UHD disks look even better. I don't think it's necessary to run a second HDMI cable because the C8 appears to do the job just fine. My receiver is set to pass all audio and video as it was originally encoded (no artificial video or sound enhancements). Oh, and I don't have anything to get over
IMHO I believe that the primary benefit of having duel HDMI outputs is to have the ability to split the audio and video signals so that older AVR/Processors which do not pass through newer HDR and Dolby Vision content are still viable as the cost of these are no small chunk of change As always though YMMV.....

"These go to eleven." - Great words from Nigel Tufnel.
post #570 of 891 Old 02-23-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeintel View Post
IMHO I believe that the primary benefit of having duel HDMI outputs is to have the ability to split the audio and video signals so that older AVR/Processors which do not pass through newer HDR and Dolby Vision content are still viable as the cost of these are no small chunk of change As always though YMMV.....
Yes. That is the main purpose of using dual HDMI outs. However, for my setup that's not necessary. So a single cable to the receiver and let the C8 do the heavy lifting works for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
disable on screen display , firmware , lg ubk 90 , on screen pop ups , region , service menu , update

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page