OFFICIAL LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 129Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 755 Old 07-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Member
 
Rogue74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
From the owner's manual, which I just accessed online:

When this unit is connected to a TV that
supports Dolby Vision, the resolution can only
be set to [Auto] or [2160p]


So there it is.
Rogue74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 755 Old 07-06-2018, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
Haven't had a chance to look through all the menu features of the UBK90 yet but I believe its predecessor (the LG UP970) had a option in the menu that let you disable the upscaling feature which ultimately turned resolution control over to the TV.
Just watched Jaws on blu-ray - still an all-time favorite of mine.

Played flawlessly but I was NOT able to find a way to change the player from outputting 2160p. So, the player did the upscaling. It looked decent but I wonder if the TV could have done better? Its an older title so I dont expect it to look like Planet Earth 2 or anything. I dunno. I have to watch more blu-rays to determine if this is truly a problem or not. UHD titles look great but I still have lots of blu-rays and will have them for a while so upscaling is important.

The evaluation continues....

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is offline  
post #33 of 755 Old 07-06-2018, 07:59 PM
Member
 
Rogue74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Just watched Jaws on blu-ray - still an all-time favorite of mine.

Played flawlessly but I was NOT able to find a way to change the player from outputting 2160p. So, the player did the upscaling. It looked decent but I wonder if the TV could have done better? Its an older title so I dont expect it to look like Planet Earth 2 or anything. I dunno. I have to watch more blu-rays to determine if this is truly a problem or not. UHD titles look great but I still have lots of blu-rays and will have them for a while so upscaling is important.

The evaluation continues....
I'm thinking of picking up a Sony X700 at Best Buy this weekend and comparing 1080p Blu Ray playback from from the Sony with its upscaling disabled to the LG UBK90. I'm still within the 14 day return window of the LG. The loser of that test would get returned. If it is a draw then I keep the LG since I don't have to deal with toggling Dolby Vision on and off.

I expect 4k blu ray playback to be identical between the two players.
Rogue74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 755 Old 07-06-2018, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
robertw11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue74 View Post
I'm thinking of picking up a Sony X700 at Best Buy this weekend and comparing 1080p Blu Ray playback from from the Sony with its upscaling disabled to the LG UBK90. I'm still within the 14 day return window of the LG. The loser of that test would get returned. If it is a draw then I keep the LG since I don't have to deal with toggling Dolby Vision on and off.

I expect 4k blu ray playback to be identical between the two players.
Interested in the results. I'm on the fence between these players. From my understanding the Sony x700 upscales quite well. Unsure if it's better to have the player upscale or the tv, LG B7.
robertw11 is offline  
post #35 of 755 Old 07-06-2018, 08:37 PM
Member
 
Rogue74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post
Interested in the results. I'm on the fence between these players. From my understanding the Sony x700 upscales quite well. Unsure if it's better to have the player upscale or the tv, LG B7.
I'm curious too.

Vincent Teoh made a video once where he concluded that the Sony X1 Extreme Processor upscaled lower res content better than the Oppo 203. He was quite impressed even though the two were close. So I figure if the Sony X1 Extreme beat the Oppo - a $600 player at the time, then it should beat the Sony X700 and the LG UBK90. It also stands to reason that we could expect similar results from the A9 processor in the newest LG OLEDs.

I've tried Googling to find out what hardware is doing the upscaling in the X700 and UBK90 but have had no luck.

Anyway, my educated guess is that your B7 upscales better than a budget 4K player. Now, cheaper TVs like the TCLs or Vizios might be another story.
lostnamerica likes this.
Rogue74 is offline  
post #36 of 755 Old 07-06-2018, 08:40 PM
Member
 
Rogue74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Just watched Jaws on blu-ray - still an all-time favorite of mine.
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Jaws is a masterpiece. It's a beautiful looking film too. I bet it would look better on 4K UHD Blu Ray than people think.
RoadLizard likes this.
Rogue74 is offline  
post #37 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 05:09 AM
Senior Member
 
PlasmaHiDef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue74 View Post
From the owner's manual, which I just accessed online:

When this unit is connected to a TV that
supports Dolby Vision, the resolution can only
be set to [Auto] or [2160p]


So there it is.
You are correct. I just tested a few 4K movies and standard blu-ray movies. No matter which format you use, you can only select Auto or 2160p. For me that is not a dealbreaker, since the pq for standard Blu-ray looks great to me. BUT, they should have an option to let the owner change to 1080p when watching a standard blu-ray.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 07-07-2018 at 06:16 AM.
PlasmaHiDef is offline  
post #38 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Makes sense. If you want to watch a standard blu-ray, then you can go in and change the resolution. I "believe" this will let the tv do the upscaling once you move it from 2160p.
I wasn’t able to switch to 1080p for Jaws though. Everything as disabled except for Auto or 2160p. I’ll recheck but I think any of us with Dolby vision TVs are limited to those two choices even if we watch a standard Blu-ray.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is offline  
post #39 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 06:10 AM
Senior Member
 
PlasmaHiDef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
I wasn’t able to switch to 1080p for Jaws though. Everything as disabled except for Auto or 2160p. I’ll recheck but I think any of us with Dolby vision TVs are limited to those two choices even if we watch a standard Blu-ray.
Correct, I just changed my original statement after doing some testing. I think the pq for standard Blu-rays looks great but I am curious why they chose to "block" the 1080p option for TV's with DV.
RoadLizard likes this.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 07-07-2018 at 07:16 AM.
PlasmaHiDef is offline  
post #40 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kai Winters's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
There is already a LG UBK90/80 4K Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread. This thread is unnecessary.
This is the first and was a long time in coming. The thread you may be referring to is the "LG unveils 2018 UHD..."

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
Kai Winters is offline  
post #41 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
PlasmaHiDef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
This is the first and was a long time in coming. The thread you may be referring to is the "LG unveils 2018 UHD..."
I clarified my statement in post number 5.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
PlasmaHiDef is offline  
post #42 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Correct, I just changed my original statement after doing some testing. I think the pq for standard Blu-rays looks great but I am curious why they chose to "block" the 1080p option for TV's with DV.
Yeah, Jaws looked pretty good. No complaints but I also wonder what harm ther'ed have been to allow us to set the resolution. I always could and did on my Samsung 8500K. Oh well. Just something we'll have to live with.

The evaluation continues.....

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is offline  
post #43 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Member
 
Rogue74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
OK so...I finally received 3 Monoprice HDMI Certified Premium cables in the mail. I just returned from Best Buy with a Sony X700. I have some stuff to take care of now but later this evening I will be hooking up both players with the good cables and doing some A/B comparisons on some Blu Rays I have here. Thinking Game of Thrones and some Pixar films I own. Those should be a good test. I will test the upscaling on the LG UBK90 vs the upscaling on the X700 vs the what the A9 chip on the C8 does. For all you know I might not see a difference and what I was noticing before was due to a bad cable. We will see. I will try to take some pics but I don't know if my Galaxy S7 camera will capture what I see.
Rogue74 is offline  
post #44 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 01:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Lend27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 63
My UBK90 is connected to my Sony 930E. The 930E is DV capable, but not with the UBK90.
I am able to select 1080p when setting the res on my UBK90, then I put in the Jaws Blu-ray Disc.
The picture looks good but it still shows as 1080p.
My Sony 930e is great at upscaling, so why does it show Jaws still playing in 1080p?

Thanks,
Len
Lend27 is offline  
post #45 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dkwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
My UBK90 is connected to my Sony 930E. The 930E is DV capable, but not with the UBK90.

I am able to select 1080p when setting the res on my UBK90, then I put in the Jaws Blu-ray Disc.

The picture looks good but it still shows as 1080p.

My Sony 930e is great at upscaling, so why does it show Jaws still playing in 1080p?



Thanks,

Len


It’s showing the resolution of the input source.
dkwong is offline  
post #46 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Lend27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwong View Post
It’s showing the resolution of the input source.
So how can I tell what the actual upscaled resolution is?
Lend27 is offline  
post #47 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dkwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
So how can I tell what the actual upscaled resolution is?


It will always be the resolution of your screen (4k). Otherwise only part of your screen will show content.
dkwong is offline  
post #48 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Lend27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Ok, thank you 🙂
Lend27 is offline  
post #49 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Member
 
Rogue74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
My UBK90 is connected to my Sony 930E. The 930E is DV capable, but not with the UBK90.
I am able to select 1080p when setting the res on my UBK90, then I put in the Jaws Blu-ray Disc.
The picture looks good but it still shows as 1080p.
My Sony 930e is great at upscaling, so why does it show Jaws still playing in 1080p?

Thanks,
Len
So based on what you are saying, users are able to bypass the LG player's scaler but only if the player isn't connected to a Dolby Vision TV (or thinks it isn't). What an odd implementation.
Rogue74 is offline  
post #50 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 07:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Lend27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue74 View Post
So based on what you are saying, users are able to bypass the LG player's scaler but only if the player isn't connected to a Dolby Vision TV (or thinks it isn't). What an odd implementation.
Yes, it is odd.
Lend27 is offline  
post #51 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 09:20 PM
Member
 
Rogue74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I tried some blu ray discs out on both the UBK90 and X700. I set the X700 bypass the scaler and just send a 1080p signal to the TV. After trying that out I had the Sony player upscale to see if I could see the difference. To be honest, I think bypassing the Sony's scaler may have made the image just a smidge sharper. And I really mean just a smidge. Same thing with using the Sony's scaler. It is almost impossible to tell and even where I think I notice it, it may be my eyes playing tricks on me, like some sort of placebo effect. I tried a couple of Pixar discs and looked at some episodes of Game of Thrones on blu ray. There's just not much there.

What really stuck out was that when I tried to update the Sony firmware, it went through the motions and then told me the update failed. I tried it again and the machine seemed to get stuck. When it finally decided to reboot, I checked the firmware version and it did indeed update to the latest one. Not sure why it told me it failed. Then, after testing a disc, I hit the stop button on the remote and the player did not seem to like that. My TV screen started flashing on and off and displaying noise. I had to switch to another input and shut the X700 off. On top of that the HDMI CEC function is a bit aggressive. I turn off the player and switch to another input on the TV, and suddenly the Sony turns on again and the TV switches inputs. Just very odd behavior. Come to think of it the Simplink function between the UBK90 and my C8 is also weird. Sometimes the LG player will power on by itself and the input will switch.

Bottom line, don't concern yourself too much with the upscaling. The initial softness I noticed was probably due the first random HDMI cable I tried. I think the Sony is definitely going back, though I will play around with it some more. The firmware upgrade problems and what it did to my screen just because I hit a stop button freaked me out. I have also seen various reports in the threads here and in online reviews that the x700 will lock up/freeze while playing discs after you've owned it for a while.

Honestly, I'm kind of disappointed in both. Great image quality on 4K discs but the firmware is buggy and often display weird behavior/lockups. Just because we opt for a budget player doesn't mean we should be beta testing these. But as of now, the LG seems like the least offensive option.

I really wish I could find an affordable Oppo 203.
dkwong likes this.

Last edited by Rogue74; 07-07-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Rogue74 is offline  
post #52 of 755 Old 07-07-2018, 09:49 PM
Member
 
Rogue74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
And now the wifi on the UBK90 stopped working. Can't get it to connect again. I can't believe this stuff. I don't stream anything via the player, but found out I wasn't connected when I checked for a firmware update.
Rogue74 is offline  
post #53 of 755 Old 07-08-2018, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue74 View Post
So based on what you are saying, users are able to bypass the LG player's scaler but only if the player isn't connected to a Dolby Vision TV (or thinks it isn't). What an odd implementation.
Yep, it’s as if the Dolby vision support "takes over" your resolution setting and sticks it at 2160p. Not my favorite thing but it is what it is I guess. Just have to take it as an item to ultimately decide if I’m keeping the player or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue74 View Post
And now the wifi on the UBK90 stopped working. Can't get it to connect again. I can't believe this stuff. I don't stream anything via the player, but found out I wasn't connected when I checked for a firmware update.
Geesh. Did you restart it or whatever else? Did you get the WiFi back?

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is offline  
post #54 of 755 Old 07-08-2018, 07:04 AM
Member
 
Rogue74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Yeah I got the WiFi back. I had to unplug power from the outlet. After I plugged it back in the WiFi worked again.
Rogue74 is offline  
post #55 of 755 Old 07-08-2018, 09:46 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
Yes, it is odd.
I have a 55E6, and was wondering about upscaling of 3D bluerays when it is updated to DV.

When playing a 3d BR, the UBK90 would then still upgrade the 3D to 4k and not the TV?
somehow I thought 3D was displayed differently in 4k sets, and it would be left to the TV to diplay the 3D in 4k.
Can someone explain?
Thanks
Moemember is offline  
post #56 of 755 Old 07-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,276
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked: 8309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemember View Post
I have a 55E6, and was wondering about upscaling of 3D bluerays when it is updated to DV.

When playing a 3d BR, the UBK90 would then still upgrade the 3D to 4k and not the TV?
somehow I thought 3D was displayed differently in 4k sets, and it would be left to the TV to diplay the 3D in 4k.
Can someone explain?
Thanks
Current HDMI standards do not support 3D at 4K. So 3D content would be sent as (3D)1080p/24, and upscaled to 4K in your 4K/3D TV.

I don’t have this player, so I can only assume it still does this when connected to a Dolby Vision capable TV.
—Bob
dkwong likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #57 of 755 Old 07-08-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Current HDMI standards do not support 3D at 4K. So 3D content would be sent as (3D)1080p/24, and upscaled to 4K in your 4K/3D TV.

I don’t have this player, so I can only assume it still does this when connected to a Dolby Vision capable TV.
—Bob
It does - I have watched a few 3D titles and it does send 3D as 1080p/24. Looks fine though.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is offline  
post #58 of 755 Old 07-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Lend27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I am very impressed with the UBK90 thus far.
I put the upscaling back in the hands of the UBK90 by setting it to Auto.
Just watched an older DVD, “Clear and Present Danger” with Harrison Ford. No problems of any kind and the PQ was excellent.
Looks like it’s a keeper 😀
RoadLizard likes this.
Lend27 is offline  
post #59 of 755 Old 07-09-2018, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
I am very impressed with the UBK90 thus far.
I put the upscaling back in the hands of the UBK90 by setting it to Auto.
Just watched an older DVD, “Clear and Present Danger” with Harrison Ford. No problems of any kind and the PQ was excellent.
Looks like it’s a keeper 😀
Good to hear. I bet we all place too much emphasis on the upscaling stuff. I mean, I’m sure there are slight differences between players and TVs but for the most part your Blu-ray Discs will look fine whether upscaled via the TV or the player. The UHD performance is the key piece here and so far the UBK-90 is doing a fine job. And the Dolby vision is working nicely too.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is offline  
post #60 of 755 Old 07-09-2018, 06:02 AM
Senior Member
 
PlasmaHiDef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
I am very impressed with the UBK90 thus far.
I put the upscaling back in the hands of the UBK90 by setting it to Auto.
Just watched an older DVD, “Clear and Present Danger” with Harrison Ford. No problems of any kind and the PQ was excellent.
Looks like it’s a keeper 😀
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Good to hear. I bet we all place too much emphasis on the upscaling stuff. I mean, I’m sure there are slight differences between players and TVs but for the most part your Blu-ray Discs will look fine whether upscaled via the TV or the player. The UHD performance is the key piece here and so far the UBK-90 is doing a fine job. And the Dolby vision is working nicely too.
Bingo! I was just about to mention the same thing. We all bought this for 4K/HDR/DV performance, and it does a great job with that. That is the main reason. We all also have standard blu-ray's and DVD's that we want watch from our collection and I think it does a great job at that too. Sure, maybe another player out there does a slightly better job, but it will not be a night and day difference.

Coming from an Oppo 203, I can tell you that if you are just comparing picture quality, they are the same. Some might not think so but it's not a $300+ difference.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
PlasmaHiDef is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
disable on screen display , lg ubk 90 , on screen pop ups

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off