OFFICIAL LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #631 of 714 Old 04-20-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I have had my Vizio PQ65 + Onkyo TX-RZ810 (with the Dolby Vision firmware update applied) and LG UBK90 for a number of months now.
I also have and have watched a fair number of 4K UHD titles, including BD100 triple layer titles.
I am very pleased with how all this is performing so far.
The couple of times the LG player has paused on a 4K disc, was apparently because it needed cleaning.
A simple cleaning with my trusty old Discwasher cleaning device using Discwasher fluid resolved the issues immediately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DiscwasherCD.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	2556038  

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 714 Old 04-24-2019, 09:18 PM
jcc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Anyone have an update on the Dolby Vision firmware update for the UBK80? I can’t seem to find any information on it.

I'm a web developer Jim, Not a doctor!

C8 FAQ
post #633 of 714 Old 04-25-2019, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 482
There is none. If you have a Sony TV, this player is not for you for DV.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 714 Old 04-25-2019, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
Anyone have an update on the Dolby Vision firmware update for the UBK80? I can’t seem to find any information on it.
The UBK80 is not a Dolby Vision player, only the UBK90 plays Dolby Vision.
Zoland2020 likes this.
post #635 of 714 Old 04-26-2019, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
UBK90 vs. Panasonic UB820 on LG OLED65B7P

Previously posted on Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrewmination View Post
I purchased an LG UBK90 last week to accompany my LG OLED65B7P. After putting in a Man of Steel 1080p bluray, I was very dissatisfied with the upscaling... I’ve also learned about the UBD820’s tone-mapping capabilities and am curious if I’d see diminishing returns/competing interests in that regard when coupled with the LG OLEDs capabilities for the price.
So, having about six days to return the UBK90, I’ve ordered the UBD820 to compare the two (almost) side-by-side. I will compare upscaling and dynamic range/PQ of the two. The only 4K DVDs I own thus far are “Into the Spiderverse” and “Dynasties.” I will likely borrow a friend’s copy of “Into the Spiderverse” for direct comparison.
See results of said test here.
I got a lot of feedback on running the tests and what to look for, so decided to run them again, because I had not conducted the comparisons with the Panasonic UB820’s HDR Optimizer turned on, which means the tone-mapping for which it was renowned was not even activated, explaining why I saw such little difference.
Yesterday was the final day to return my UB820.
I've spent as much time as possible (not nearly as much as I'd like) over two nights doing a comparative analysis of both players using Mad Max Fury Road, during the storm scene at around the 28 minute mark (esp. 28:27-28:38).
I will say that spending so much time scrutinizing this movie frame-by-frame leaves me immensely impressed with the level of detail that went into this movie. I dare say, you miss quite a bit by NOT viewing it frame-by-frame (at least in the storm scene) ... though I don't expect anyone to take the time to do that.
I did not change the display-type settings on the UB820 (I left it on OLED), but cycled through the HD Optimizer's sliding scale for comparison. I found that when I slid the HD Optimizer below the base-setting, the blacks would begin to darken as well... if only with a very slight gradation.
I messed with the UBK90 in an attempt to get the comparisons as equivocal as possible, finding that the "Movie" setting (I think it's called) had the most similar effect to the HDR Optimization the UB820 was performing. Though, I believe the display settings to be based on sliding-scale adjustments rather than the algorithmic functions of tone-mapping. I was using the 28:27 mark (car explosion with a man hanging from the front of the car, in the air of the storm) and having a very hard time telling the difference in any substantial way.
That is, until I forwarded, frame-by-frame to around the 28:38 (??) mark. A truck was exploding and the explosion was beginning to engulf another man. I examined a black/dark grey/brown, sandy storm wind/cloud, portion of the same scene near the right edge of the screen and noticed that the UBK90 (on “movie” setting) was slightly crushing the blacks where the UB820 was not.
Then, kind-of the deal breaker, the silhouette of the front of the truck (also being engulfed) was visible in the explosion in red. On the UB820, there were around four distinct shades of red, while on the UBK90 there was only around one, maybe two.
The sound also seems clearer, a bit brighter, on the UB820.
The next day, yesterday, right after work, I took both players back and anguished over which one to return in the Best Buy parking lot for a minute or two. I even began to take the UB820 into the store.
The dog was confused.
I took back the UBK90. They did indeed take it back, even though the time to return the UBK90 had expired, after explaining I was keeping the more expensive product after testing them. Note: Their return limit exemption policy seems pretty liberal. Halfway through explaining it, I asked the girl behind the counter if she needed to hear this (my lengthy explanation). She replied, "You can go ahead and tell me," like she just wanted to know, you know, personally.
I'm still uncertain the difference in the pictures warrants the cost differential, and am not ENTIRELY certain it will be noticeable most of the time. But, the fact remains that I know there is a difference... and I did see it.
That, coupled with the annoyance of UBK90 turning on seemingly at random and hijacking my AVR.
I wish I would have had time to do even more testing. But with what little testing I did, I can only conclude that it was a sample portion indicative of other notable variances I would have come across within different scenes, titles, ranges/gradients, etc.
I should note that I conducted all tests with the LG OLED65B7Ps tone-mapping both “off” and “on”. From what I understand, the LGs TM is dynamic (i.e. scene-by-scene) whereas the UB820's is static.
The scenes tested retained the greatest amount of detail and had the least amount of clipping with the LG's TM "On" and the UB820's HDR Optimization "On" and the HDR Optimizer sliding-bar set in the middle.
Comparatively, the settings were adjusted as closely as possible (with eye-calibration ) on the LG UBK90 Player as well (i.e. with/without the television's TM "on" and switching <more limited> display settings on the UBK90 (i.e. "movie," "vivid," "user," etc.). The LG UBK90 had the least amount of clipping with the LG t.v.'s TM "On" and the UBK90 set to "movie". This, as previously mentioned, did result in a slight loss of detail (crushing) of the blacks/very dark regions.

I hope this helps anyone trying to make the same decision.

Signature change forthcoming.
TrueDis and ndukechi like this.

ATMOS 5.1.4 - KEF Q700 - Q600C - Q100 - KEF Ci160CL(x4-in-ceiling) - Rythmik FV15HP - Marantz SR7012 - LG OLED65B7P - Panasonic DP-UB820 - Roku Ultra
post #636 of 714 Old 05-05-2019, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The only issue I'm having with this player is that I find I have to press a button a few times in the remote for it to actually perform the action. The remote has clear line of site to the player and I'm only about 9ft away. Anyone else experiencing this?
post #637 of 714 Old 05-05-2019, 07:12 AM

The infrared receiver seems pretty weak on the player. Its receiving window is quite narrow. I have the player on my desk around 3 ft away. I have to point the remote directly at the player for it to work reliably. If my aim is slightly off, it often does not work.

post #638 of 714 Old 05-05-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
The infrared receiver seems pretty weak on the player. Its receiving window is quite narrow. I have the player on my desk around 3 ft away. I have to point the remote directly at the player for it to work reliably. If my aim is slightly off, it often does not work.

I use a Harmony One for all my devices. It has a relatively wide IR blast field. Has no problem with the UBK90.
post #639 of 714 Old 05-05-2019, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I have the Harmony 950....no issues with the UBK90 here either

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #640 of 714 Old 05-05-2019, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am having no problems using both the remote that came with my LG UBK90, and my Harmony remotes.
I generally use the Harmony to start up the system, shut it down and change source devices.
I generally use the LG remote for everything regarding the UBK90 player once booted up (mostly loading & playing 4k titles).
djoberg likes this.

post #641 of 714 Old 05-06-2019, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I use a Harmony remote and have no issues yet as already stated it has a wider command beam so I tried the OEM remote and it was very responsive even at an angle. Sounds like your IR remote or IR receiver is acting up.

"These go to eleven." - Great words from Nigel Tufnel.
post #642 of 714 Old 05-06-2019, 06:26 AM
jcc
AVS Forum Special Member

No, he's right. I went through two machines and they're both crap when it comes to IR receivers. You have to aim it directly at the machine or it doesn't register.

C8 FAQ
post #643 of 714 Old 05-06-2019, 06:28 AM
jcc
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone know if the country setting in the locked section can be used to change disc regions? Probably not, but I just thought I'd ask.

C8 FAQ
post #644 of 714 Old 05-16-2019, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lg ubk 90 on screen display pops up

I have a new LG UBK 90 4k Blu Ray player. I am a fan of Star Trek the original series and have it on Blu Ray. One of the features of this set is that you have the option of watching with new remastered special effects or the original ones for the 1960s. You can choose from the disc menu or select using the Angle ontion in the menu. When ever a special effects shot is about to play the Camera/Angle icon flashes in the upper right corner of the screen. Is there any way to stop this from happening. Thank You.
post #645 of 714 Old 05-17-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Great little slim profile player. Very quiet. Plays back everything I throw at it including backups via USB..excellent!!! Brings out the best in my C7 in BR set up.
atfree and beerhunt like this.
post #646 of 714 Old 05-21-2019, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is this a hope for a ubk90 firmware update?
This was the answer I received when I asked for an update that corrects image freezes on 4k 100GB discs.

“Hi Daniel, we appreciate you for patiently coordinating with us regarding the software update for your LG UBK90 player and allow me to provide relevant information that may help address your inquiry. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

We thank you for bringing this matter of your unit to our attention. In response to this, I have checked the specifications of the unit and it appears that the software update for the UBK90 player is yet to be released and we have yet to receive any updates from software development team for a definitive date for the software update’s release. Nonetheless, we assure you that we are aware of your requests and are constantly relaying your feedback to our development team so that proper action can be done to correct this. That being said, we would like to ask for your consent to have your feedback be properly submitted to the department in-charge. We have a tool which is called VOC (Voice of Customer). A VOC is an LG means for our customers to vent out complaints, satisfaction, or dissatisfaction on our products and services. It is a venue for our valued customers to freely express their suggestions and recommendations, appreciation for excellent service received and of any concerns they believe must be brought to LG management. While this VOC ticket does not generate a call back from the management team, rest assured that these reports are being reviewed by the LG management periodically and being utilized as valuable inputs for consideration in our products and services innovations, improvements and business strategies. It is always our constant desire to establish a more lasting and strengthened business partnership with our clients.

Thank you for your exceptional patience and understanding.

I hope that this deal of information is helpful in addressing your inquiry. Should you have further inquiries or clarifications in mind, please do let us know and we’ll be glad to help you out. You can reach us again via Email, Live Chat or Phone by calling 1-800-243-0000.

Thank you for contacting LG and wishing you a good day.

Kind Regards,

Jason”
post #647 of 714 Old 05-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Whew...that's a lot of blah blah blah and no help...call the number and bitch them out...at the very least for all the blah

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #648 of 714 Old 05-23-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up the UBK90 today because my Samsung 4k player doesn't have DV.

Anyway, I have the UBK90 hooked up to my Onkyo NR-555 to a Vizio M50-E1. For some reason, the UBK90 flashes to a black screen every once in a while. When I connect the UBK90 directly to the TV, it works fine. I could do this but I don't believe the Vizio does Atmos through ARC.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Do I have a faulty player? Or does it just not like my receiver?
post #649 of 714 Old 05-23-2019, 05:40 PM

Most likely one, or both, of your HDMI cables are not certified to pass 4k.

post #650 of 714 Old 05-23-2019, 06:12 PM

But I'm using the same exact HDMI cable I used with my old Samsung 4k player. Unless it can't do DV and its getting all messed up.

I'll try that.
post #651 of 714 Old 05-23-2019, 06:32 PM

Yeah didn't work so maybe the receiver and the player aren't friends.
post #652 of 714 Old 05-24-2019, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxMole View Post
Yeah didn't work so maybe the receiver and the player aren't friends.

You could always try sending just the video to the display and the audio to the AVR. This should allow the DV to be displayed in the TV and the immersive audio to then play through the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"These go to eleven." - Great words from Nigel Tufnel.
post #653 of 714 Old 05-24-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
But I'm using the same exact HDMI cable I used with my old Samsung 4k player.
A marginal quality cable may or maynot work with different HDMI devices. Only certified cables are guaranteed to work. HDMI cable is cheap to replace than other devices.
post #654 of 714 Old 05-24-2019, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 36
just ordered the 90 and will be using with denon avr and tcl 65r615

any problem settings i should be aware of?
so far after skimming the thread

set to auto or dolby vision, for my particular tv
if i want the tv to do the upscaling, set player to off (wont there be double processing if i set to on on the player)?
if i want the tv to do picture processing, is there an off option on the player? i see some of you set the player to movie mode

for audio, if i want the player to show the format, i set to bitstream and stereo off or on?
post #655 of 714 Old 05-24-2019, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
just ordered the 90 and will be using with denon avr and tcl 65r615

any problem settings i should be aware of?

so far after skimming the thread

set to auto or dolby vision, for my particular tv

if i want the tv to do the upscaling, set player to off (wont there be double processing if i set to on on the player)?

if i want the tv to do picture processing, is there an off option on the player? i see some of you set the player to movie mode

for audio, if i want the player to show the format, i set to bitstream and stereo off or on?
The settings are pretty basic....

Video: auto, 2160, 1080, 1080i, 720p , etc. I leave mine on 2160 as I think the player upscales better than TV. Picture modes include Movie, Standard, Vivid, and custom.

Audio: Auto, PCM, DTS Encode. I leave mine on auto.

There is no way to select Dolby Vision. If the disc has DV, that's what the player uses. If no DV, then it defaults to HDR.

There is no front display on the unit.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #656 of 714 Old 05-24-2019, 03:59 PM

Yeah it didn't work.

I'm just going to return it and use my Samsung 4K player. It worked great I just wanted a player that does DV. OH wellll.
post #657 of 714 Old 05-26-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 100
quick question..

When using both the HDMI out puts..#1 to tv and #2 to receiver....there is no sound from the tv even with the receiver turned off. Setting is set to AUTO. Is there a way to get sound from the tv without going to set up menu to switch audio to HDMI #1 ..? Perhaps a setting on the receiver? I would have thought with the receiver turned off the sound would default to the C8..thanks.
post #658 of 714 Old 05-27-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah it didn't work.

I'm just going to return it and use my Samsung 4K player. It worked great I just wanted a player that does DV. OH wellll.

I assume you have applied the firmware update to your receiver that enabled Dolby Vision passthrough.
A regular 4K hdmi cable may not be adequate to properly carry the metadata stream accompanying the audio /video hdmi stream that dolby vision requires. Try using 18gbps rated cables to see if that solves the problem. I am currently using 2 of these cables from Costco.
https://www.costco.com/WireLogic-12-...100376910.html
to connect my LG90 to my Onkyo RZ810 receiver and then to my Vizio PQ65 TV - everything works fine.

post #659 of 714 Old 05-27-2019, 11:21 AM

I did do the update.

It def wasn't the HDMI cord. It could have been a faulty player or user error on my part.

Either way I returned it. I'm going to be updating my TV soon and maybe try another player that does DV.
post #660 of 714 Old 05-27-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I've searched and searched and tried LG's app to no avail. Does anyone know if there is an app in the app store that controls these players?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
disable on screen display , lg ubk 90 , on screen pop ups

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page