OFFICIAL LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 112Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #661 of 711 Old 06-01-2019, 05:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
The settings are pretty basic....

Video: auto, 2160, 1080, 1080i, 720p , etc. I leave mine on 2160 as I think the player upscales better than TV. Picture modes include Movie, Standard, Vivid, and custom.

Audio: Auto, PCM, DTS Encode. I leave mine on auto.

There is no way to select Dolby Vision. If the disc has DV, that's what the player uses. If no DV, then it defaults to HDR.

There is no front display on the unit.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
finally got to setting it up.
i set it to 16:09 original and resolution auto. i assume the tv will do the upscaling with it set to auto.
where are the picture modes? they arent in the settings menu.
one more question, im using tcl 65r615. do i leave player at 60hz or 24hz?
also, there was no firmware update on mine.

Last edited by mariogonzalezzz; 06-01-2019 at 05:43 AM.
mariogonzalezzz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #662 of 711 Old 06-01-2019, 05:38 AM
Member
 
atfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boiling Springs, South Carolina USA
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I think the video setting only become available when a disc is playing, via the remote.

Mine got a firmware update about 8 months ago, nothing since then.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
atfree is offline  
post #663 of 711 Old 06-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 35
yeah im really liking this player. simple to use and loads discs faster than any ive ever had before.
atfree likes this.
mariogonzalezzz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #664 of 711 Old 06-04-2019, 05:15 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Overall im very pleased with this player. I have one question though:

Is it possible to choose between DolbyVision and HDR10, if the bluray supports both methods?
Currently rewatching Game of Thrones Season 1 on 4k bluray. My TV is a LG C8. The Show with Dolby Vision looks great but i want to see what the HDR10-signal has to offer.
I read, that the picture with HDR10 is less dramatic and tries not to overshoot bright areas. I dont see any option to choose between these two HDR-Methods
Not on the TV, not in the LG UBK90's menu and not in the discs menu.

Is there any way to disable DolbyVision and use HDR10 instead?
Prodrummer1603 is offline  
post #665 of 711 Old 06-04-2019, 07:16 AM
Member
 
Pmilano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrummer1603 View Post
Overall im very pleased with this player. I have one question though:

Is it possible to choose between DolbyVision and HDR10, if the bluray supports both methods?
Currently rewatching Game of Thrones Season 1 on 4k bluray. My TV is a LG C8. The Show with Dolby Vision looks great but i want to see what the HDR10-signal has to offer.
I read, that the picture with HDR10 is less dramatic and tries not to overshoot bright areas. I dont see any option to choose between these two HDR-Methods
Not on the TV, not in the LG UBK90's menu and not in the discs menu.

Is there any way to disable DolbyVision and use HDR10 instead?
Only if your Bluray player is connected to an AV, you can enable and disable DV.
Pmilano is offline  
post #666 of 711 Old 06-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Question are they going to update this thread to include UBKM9?

Wondering if they are going to update this thread to include UBKM9 or start a separate thread?

https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-...blu-ray-player

TV: LG 55" OLED (OLED55C8PUA)
AVR = Denon AVR-1200W
Console: PS4 Pro
Other: nVidia Shield TV (2017)
domerdel81 is offline  
post #667 of 711 Old 06-04-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 11,808
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 480
That is the 2019 model and should have its own thread.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #668 of 711 Old 06-04-2019, 10:05 PM
Member
 
del2d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by domerdel81 View Post
Wondering if they are going to update this thread to include UBKM9 or start a separate thread?

https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-...blu-ray-player
I believe it's just Walmart's version of the UBK90. I saw the M9 there this weekend and wondered exactly what it was. When I got home I compared both players on LG's site and EVERY spec matched. In fact, if you download the M9's user guide from lg.com, the filename shows as UBK90 (although the first page of the guide shows UBKM9).
TrueDis likes this.
del2d is offline  
post #669 of 711 Old 06-06-2019, 11:29 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmilano View Post
Only if your Bluray player is connected to an AV, you can enable and disable DV.
Thanks for the information. Its no big deal. On "Saving Private Ryan" the DV-Version looks great. Its just on GOT that i feel the DV-picture has gone a step to much with the HDR-effect.


Other problem:
When i watch long movies, my player freezes after around 1:50:00 / 2:00:00 for a minute. After that pause the player plays the movie just fine. Dont know what could cause this hickup.
Maybe heat?
Prodrummer1603 is offline  
post #670 of 711 Old 06-07-2019, 12:05 AM
Senior Member
 
TrueDis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
That is the 2019 model and should have its own thread
not really https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...php?p=57839264

LG OLED65B6P
Marantz SR7010 driving 5.1.4
Klipsch RP-280FA Atmos Towers (Front) | RP-250C (Center) | R-115SW (Sub)
Pioneer SP-EFS73 Atmos Towers (Rear)
TrueDis is offline  
post #671 of 711 Old 06-07-2019, 07:38 AM
Member
 
Pmilano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrummer1603 View Post
Thanks for the information. Its no big deal. On "Saving Private Ryan" the DV-Version looks great. Its just on GOT that i feel the DV-picture has gone a step to much with the HDR-effect.


Other problem:
When i watch long movies, my player freezes after around 1:50:00 / 2:00:00 for a minute. After that pause the player plays the movie just fine. Dont know what could cause this hickup.
Maybe heat?
clean the disc with a microfiber cloth.
Pmilano is offline  
post #672 of 711 Old 06-11-2019, 01:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmilano View Post
clean the disc with a microfiber cloth.
Thx but i doubt that my discs are all dirty. They are completley new (fresh out of the box). Player is also new.

I noticed a problem with DV (Game of Thrones). In some scene changes the picture is too dark and brightens up after one second.
Is this because of wrong metadata (on the BluRay) or because the metadata is applied in a wrong way ? Never noticed this problem on other movies with DV (Saving Private Ryan).
Prodrummer1603 is offline  
post #673 of 711 Old 06-11-2019, 06:37 AM
Member
 
Pmilano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrummer1603 View Post
Thx but i doubt that my discs are all dirty. They are completley new (fresh out of the box). Player is also new.

I noticed a problem with DV (Game of Thrones). In some scene changes the picture is too dark and brightens up after one second.
Is this because of wrong metadata (on the BluRay) or because the metadata is applied in a wrong way ? Never noticed this problem on other movies with DV (Saving Private Ryan).
I do not have GOT so I can not say. I also have no problem in saving deprive Ryan
Pmilano is offline  
post #674 of 711 Old 06-11-2019, 07:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Tom Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is it possible to control this player with an iphone app? Thank you.
Tom Edge is offline  
post #675 of 711 Old 06-11-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 11,808
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrummer1603 View Post
Thx but i doubt that my discs are all dirty. They are completley new (fresh out of the box). Player is also new.

Read this thread. It has been discussed before. Many discs are dirty from factory and the player is very sensitive to it, especially on triple-layer UHD discs. Many owners found success in clean up their discs before play.
atfree likes this.
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #676 of 711 Old 06-11-2019, 04:37 PM
Member
 
atfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boiling Springs, South Carolina USA
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Read this thread. It has been discussed before. Many discs are dirty from factory and the player is very sensitive to it, especially on triple-layer UHD discs. Many owners found success in clean up their discs before play.
This....I had audio dropouts in my UBK90 but have since started wiping discs before every use....especially 4k discs. No issues since I started doing this.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
gene9p likes this.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
atfree is offline  
post #677 of 711 Old 06-16-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rdgcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salisbury,NC
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 101
UBK90 with Harmony remote

I use a Harmony One to control all of my devices. Set up a NET activity to simulate the NET button on the remote, had to program all the buttons on the Harmony. I select Pandora then a music category. If I don’t like a song I can skip it with the “fast forward button” on the UBK90 remote. Anyone know what button name this is in the Harmony setup?
rdgcss is offline  
post #678 of 711 Old 06-16-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 11,808
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Are you sure you have the right player and remote? I have no NET button on the LG remote. Nor Pandora app on the player itself.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #679 of 711 Old 06-16-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rdgcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salisbury,NC
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Are you sure you have the right player and remote? I have no NET button on the LG remote. Nor Pandora app on the player itself.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Wrong thread, should be in Pioneer AVR thread.
rdgcss is offline  
post #680 of 711 Old 06-18-2019, 01:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 35
i got the 90 from best buy
in your opinion, would the player upscale better than a tcl 6 series?
i tend to like user setting instead of movie, but wondering which is doing the upscaling with those picture modes
mariogonzalezzz is online now  
post #681 of 711 Old 06-18-2019, 02:30 PM
Member
 
crazepharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just picked up this player (the Costco UBKC90 version) and am playing through the settings. Under display there's an option to display 60hz or 24hz. Just I leave it on the default 60 or change it to 24 to get 24p playback? And color setting: leave on default YCbCr or change to RGB I have the player hooked up to an Lg C8. first 4k tv and first bluray player here. Thanks!

edit: also, what do you guys have the audio sampling frequency set to? Default is 48 KHz. There's also 96 and 192 KHz.

Last edited by crazepharmacist; 06-18-2019 at 02:34 PM.
crazepharmacist is offline  
post #682 of 711 Old 06-19-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazepharmacist View Post
Just picked up this player (the Costco UBKC90 version) and am playing through the settings. Under display there's an option to display 60hz or 24hz. Just I leave it on the default 60 or change it to 24 to get 24p playback? And color setting: leave on default YCbCr or change to RGB I have the player hooked up to an Lg C8. first 4k tv and first bluray player here. Thanks!

edit: also, what do you guys have the audio sampling frequency set to? Default is 48 KHz. There's also 96 and 192 KHz.

I also have a Costco purchased UBKC90 - it has been a great player for me so far (since early December 2018).
I keep my player set to output 24hz since movies are recorded that way & my Vizio PQ65 supports that.
YCbCr for a HDMI connection and RGB for a DVI connection.
Set the audio frequency to the highest number your receiver can handle.
crazepharmacist likes this.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #683 of 711 Old 06-19-2019, 11:04 PM
Member
 
crazepharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I also have a Costco purchased UBKC90 - it has been a great player for me so far (since early December 2018).
I keep my player set to output 24hz since movies are recorded that way & my Vizio PQ65 supports that.
YCbCr for a HDMI connection and RGB for a DVI connection.
Set the audio frequency to the highest number your receiver can handle.
Awesome thanks.

But what if I don't have a receiver? I am using sennheiser wireless RS 185 headphones plugged in via optical directly to the C8.
crazepharmacist is offline  
post #684 of 711 Old 06-20-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazepharmacist View Post
Awesome thanks.

But what if I don't have a receiver? I am using sennheiser wireless RS 185 headphones plugged in via optical directly to the C8.

same answer - set the audio to the highest rate the C8 can handle. check the manual for your TV.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #685 of 711 Old 06-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bought this one back in April. I have a 2017 Samsung 4K HDR TV with no Dolby Vision but I decided to pick this one simply because I was looking for a dedicated 4K bluray player to complement my XBOX One S which by the way is a very serviceable albeit a bit noisy player. Due to the simplicity of my set (no receiver, just a soundbar) I am not having any of the issues people are experiencing. And so I honestly recommend this player for both AV pros and beginners.
Hugo Rilhó is offline  
post #686 of 711 Old 06-20-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 14,586
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3239 Post(s)
Liked: 2311
Bought mine back in October when we purchased the 65 C8. Has been a rock solid performer and meets our needs without issues.


My settings are:


TV Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Original
Resolution: Auto
Display Mode: 24Hz
HDMI Color Setting: YCbCr
3D Mode: On (grayed out)
Home Menu Guide: On



Digital Output: Auto
Sample Freq.: 192KHz
DRC: Auto
HDMI Audio Setting: Auto
DTS NEO:6: Off (grayed out)

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #687 of 711 Old 06-22-2019, 05:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there a significant difference by switching to 24hz?
Hugo Rilhó is offline  
post #688 of 711 Old 06-23-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 14,586
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3239 Post(s)
Liked: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Rilhó View Post
Is there a significant difference by switching to 24hz?

To maintain the 5:5 cadence of blu-ray movies so there is no pull-down. If you have an LG tv for example, setting the tv to Real Cinema will maintain the 5:5 cadence so that the movie plays smoothly with no frame interpolation.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #689 of 711 Old 06-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
radamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Bought this player and hooked up to my system last night. For background I have a Yamaha RX-A2050 and an LG 65C9 in my setup. Here are my first thoughts...
- Very light unit (expected at this price point)
- Menu system very dated and limited controls (known upfront)
- Fast start up from disc load to start (read about it and was pleased with the performance)


Popped in my one 4K UHD title (Deadpool 2).
- Looked excellent but not markedly better compared to Blu-Ray on PS4 Pro


Next disc was Iron Man on Blu Ray (HD)
- Looked okay but not great


Next tried some other assorted blu-rays (Avatar and some others)
- Not blown away by the upscaling


My big concern was that I kept getting a black screen after almost every disc change. With white text telling me there was a resolution change and telling me to press the STOP button for 5 seconds. Each time it was a dance with the menu / power buttons to get back to the settings menu and reset RESOLUTION to 2160. I think this is going back to Costco. I have ordered the Panny 820 and will give that a try tonight before a final decision.

LG 65C9, Yamaha RX-A2050, Paradigm Reference Studio 80 Mains, CC-450 Center, Panasonic UB820, PS4 Pro
radamo is offline  
post #690 of 711 Old 06-30-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jeremy Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,342
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Posting this here because it is vexing me and I hope someone can help. I just picked up a Vizio P659-G1 and hooked it up. Because my AVR is the Denon 5200 and it isn't HDCP 2.2 compatible, I'm running HDMI 1 of my UBK90 to the Vizio and HDMI 2 to the Denon. I do use the Denon for my regular Blu-ray player (Oppo BDP-103) and my Uverse box, so it is hooked up to the Vizio as well, and I'm running CEC for ARC only so I can get audio from the Vizio's internal apps.

When I change to the HDMI port for the UBK90 and change my AVR to the right input, I get picture... but no audio. When I change my Vizio to the HDMI port for the AVR, I get the audio from the UBK90 but no picture. I've noticed that when I have picture from the LG on the screen but no audio from the AVR, the system info on the Vizio shows the TV receiving stereo... then nothing... then stereo... over and over again, randomly.

I've tried turning CEC off, turning ARC off, etc. and nothing fixes it. Disconnecting the AVR from the TV is the only way to get both audio and video from the UBK90, which is odd. Anyone know a way to work around this?

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Jeremy Anderson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
disable on screen display , lg ubk 90 , on screen pop ups

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off