OFFICIAL LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #721 of 744 Old 07-24-2019, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Nope, mine is super slow. Happy otherwise. Great unit for the price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 744 Old 07-26-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Here she is. Very good price on eBay. Can we put this model number in the title since it's the same player? It will help out others.

Sadly, I can confirm I'm not getting Dolby Vision from this 2019 player onto my 2019 Sony X950G. Shame.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System

Last edited by camd5pt0; 07-26-2019 at 11:31 PM.
post #723 of 744 Old 07-27-2019, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've had my first real concern with this player yesterday. Work has been very busy so not much time to enjoy my discs but the kids are on summer vacation so they are the ones using it more frequently watching kiddy stuff dvds. And so yesterday I noticed that the disc spinning was louder making the whole unit vibrate against the TV stand furniture. I turned it off and drove the family to shopping feeling quite upset. I actually bought two BR movies for my collection and obviously the first thing I did was test them. Strangely the vibration due to the disc spinning got back to its normal loudness level which by the it's pretty decent and and much better than my XBOX One S. Any ideas of why this is happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 744 Old 07-27-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Rilhó View Post
I've had my first real concern with this player yesterday. Work has been very busy so not much time to enjoy my discs but the kids are on summer vacation so they are the ones using it more frequently watching kiddy stuff dvds. And so yesterday I noticed that the disc spinning was louder making the whole unit vibrate against the TV stand furniture. I turned it off and drove the family to shopping feeling quite upset. I actually bought two BR movies for my collection and obviously the first thing I did was test them. Strangely the vibration due to the disc spinning got back to its normal loudness level which by the it's pretty decent and and much better than my XBOX One S. Any ideas of why this is happening?
DVD’s are read with a red laser, Blu-Ray & Ultra Blu-ray use a blue laser (hence the name) so Blu-Ray & Ultra players have both lasers in them. Maybe the reason
post #725 of 744 Old 07-27-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 487
I'd check that DVD disc. Maybe it has some stickers on it that caused it unblanced and viberates when spinning at high speed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
rdgcss likes this.
post #726 of 744 Old 07-31-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
I'd check that DVD disc. Maybe it has some stickers on it that caused it unblanced and viberates when spinning at high speed.

I think this is the case because it hasn't happened since with anyother discs (dvd or bluray). Just that single one which by the way, being handheld by the kids, actually had a few fingerprints here and there. It seems fine now, for the moment! Thanks once again for your support.
post #727 of 744 Old 08-02-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 89
@camd5pt0 If your TV is a Sony, then I'm afraid this LG player is nothing but a waste of time for Dolby Vision because the Dolby Vision on the LG UBK90 is not compatible with Sony TVs. If you still got time, I would exchange it for either the Sony UBP-X800M2 or the Panasonic UB820 since both are 100% compatible with Sony TVs.
camd5pt0 likes this.

My current mancave room setup:
Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 7.1 surround) | Xbox One X | Amazon Fire Stick 4K
post #728 of 744 Old 08-02-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoland2020 View Post
@camd5pt0 If your TV is a Sony, then I'm afraid this LG player is nothing but a waste of time for Dolby Vision because the Dolby Vision on the LG UBK90 is not compatible with Sony TVs. If you still got time, I would exchange it for either the Sony UBP-X800M2 or the Panasonic UB820 since both are 100% compatible with Sony TVs.
Thanks, I have it boxed and put away. I figured for the price, I'd shelve it until an update on either comes, for compatibility?

If not, I'll sell it, and my x800 for the m2. I think it's not right to manually turn on/off Dolby Vision on the Sony player.

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
post #729 of 744 Old 08-02-2019, 08:18 PM

Your Sony TV lacks dedicated DV chip to processing the DV. Instead it uses a new DV profile that heavily dependent on the source device to do the heavy lifting. Don't expect LG to issue any update on this. It haven't been updated ever since I bought it a year ago.

camd5pt0 likes this.
post #730 of 744 Old 08-02-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Your Sony TV lacks dedicated DV chip to processing the DV. Instead it uses a new DV profile that heavily dependent on the source device to do the heavy lifting. Don't expect LG to issue any update on this. It haven't been updated ever since I bought it a year ago.

Dammit. Thanks lol. I'm going to hold off because I'm not going to pay 500 for a player, or 300 for a player that freezes like my current x800. Lucky for me, digital streams look indistinguishable from disc on my TV, plus much more DV content in stream vs disc. Thanks for bursting my bubble guys lol.

post #731 of 744 Old 08-03-2019, 06:33 AM

Not your fault. Dolby Labs and Sony are the ones to blame. Dolby Labs for allowing such confusing incompatible DV profiles and Sony for being so cheap on hardware that it wants to save a few cents and opt for software based DV instead of hardware based

camd5pt0 likes this.
post #732 of 744 Old 08-03-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Just an FYI. First of all the UBK90 is a bargain. It does not seem like there is much to it. The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Short of an OPPO or Pioneer this shall do the job. The UBK90 came out in 2018 and is still sold at this moment. For 2019 LG released the UBKM90. It is a "club" store unit, and Walmart model. Hence the MSRP being lower. It is exactly the same as the UBK90 except it has some more video formats you will probably never use. However, now we are talking about a true bargain. I hope that is okay to say here. I did not mention prices. However, for the price it is a no brainer. Plus they fixed the skipping issue such as on Disney titles with the new one! I own this one as well as a higher end Panasonic purchased at the same time and I can discern no difference whatsoever. You really need to go up to OPPO or Cambridge to notice any difference at all. The UBKM90 that is out now at club stores and Walmart is a steal indeed. I have obtained this information per LG support. This is only of interest to those that do not yet own one of course. If you already own a UBK90, you have a great player.
humbland, atfree and camd5pt0 like this.
post #733 of 744 Old 08-03-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post
Just an FYI. First of all the UBK90 is a bargain. It does not seem like there is much to it. The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Short of an OPPO or Pioneer this shall do the job. The UBK90 came out in 2018 and is still sold at this moment. For 2019 LG released the UBKM90. It is a "club" store unit, and Walmart model. Hence the MSRP being lower. It is exactly the same as the UBK90 except it has some more video formats you will probably never use. However, now we are talking about a true bargain. I hope that is okay to say here. I did not mention prices. However, for the price it is a no brainer. Plus they fixed the skipping issue such as on Disney titles with the new one! I own this one as well as a higher end Panasonic purchased at the same time and I can discern no difference whatsoever. You really need to go up to OPPO or Cambridge to notice any difference at all. The UBKM90 that is out now at club stores and Walmart is a steal indeed. I have obtained this information per LG support. This is only of interest to those that do not yet own one of course. If you already own a UBK90, you have a great player.
Great yeah I think I'll use it instead of my x800. For the price I paid $XX.XX brand new, figured I'd keep it. Thanks for the info.

TriTon464 likes this.

post #734 of 744 Old 08-04-2019, 05:14 AM

I liked your post so you calm down. No reason to be upset. The X800 is a comparable player indeed. It is also priced between the UBK90 and UBKM90. Anyways, I do not really understand what a Sony player has to do with an LG thread? Rest assured the X800 is good too and the price is fair as well. Feel better now?

I was actually surprised to find that this has almost no streaming content. that is fine with me though. As I have a Shield and An ATV 4K.

I was not sure what the point of a hard drive on it was? I would rather just spin the few 4K discs I own. Heck knows I do not need another hard drive around here!
post #735 of 744 Old 08-05-2019, 04:52 PM

The only issue I have with this player is very few "picture" settings. As in 12 bit output. HDR is most likely at 10 bit output. Of course Dolby vison shall be at 12 bit output if you have it on your TV. However a Player that lets you select those types of settings is at least twice the price of this one so I cannot complain. Other than getting the UBK9M if you do not need Dolby Vison get the UBK80. Since there is practically no streaming content anyways. Between them there is almost no difference save for Dolby vision. Other than the UBKM90 being updated with some additional video formats very few people would use and the fix of certain discs skipping perhaps. I would really like a player that can select 12 bit output but it is much more money. Otherwise these do have very solid picture/audio quality hitting at players 2-3 times their price even without the 12 bit option. The difference from 10 bit to 12 bit is marginal to our eyes anyways so that is why these look so good regardless.

Edit: I was incorrect. No current player supports 12 Bit over HDMI outside of Dolby vision. The players that did are now defunct. the likes of OPPO, AYRE, Cambridge ETC. Some of today's players interpolate 10 bit up to 12 bit but none of them provide a true 12 bit option. This is a shame as I now own several TV's with 12 Bit panels and only one of them has Dolby vision. Interestingly the streaming players at the high end have many more options for picture quality. This is just further evidence that this is where this is headed. I imagine within a few years Bandwidth overall will improve as will compression technologies and disc spinners will be obsolete altogether. As of right now, they still have the edge in picture quality even at 10 Bits.

Edit2: Actually this will output HDR10 12 bit in fact. All you have to do is set the HDMI output to ycbcr. You can confirm this if it is connected to a receiver. The receiver will say 12 bit then. Sorry for misinformation before. In fact most of them will output 12 bit with one setting or another. So I was incorrect.

Last edited by TriTon464; 08-06-2019 at 07:54 PM.
post #736 of 744 Old 08-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I’m having issues with this player, I have a vizio p75-F1 and a denon x2400h. I’m getting no video at all when playing a movie, only audio. I’ve tried multiple cables and they’re all certified monoprice cables. I’m starting to just forget it and get the Sony player but wanted to know if anyone had this issue and was able to fix it.
post #737 of 744 Old 08-09-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby james View Post
I’m having issues with this player, I have a vizio p75-F1 and a denon x2400h. I’m getting no video at all when playing a movie, only audio. I’ve tried multiple cables and they’re all certified monoprice cables. I’m starting to just forget it and get the Sony player but wanted to know if anyone had this issue and was able to fix it.
Not trying to be smart-ass, but make sure its connected to the correct hdmi out on the LG....one of them only outputs audio.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #738 of 744 Old 08-09-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby james View Post
I’️m having issues with this player, I have a vizio p75-F1 and a denon x2400h. I’️m getting no video at all when playing a movie, only audio. I’️ve tried multiple cables and they’️re all certified monoprice cables. I’️m starting to just forget it and get the Sony player but wanted to know if anyone had this issue and was able to fix it.
Not trying to be smart-ass, but make sure its connected to the correct hdmi out on the LG....one of them only outputs audio.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Everything is connected right. It was working perfectly up until about 2-3 weeks ago. The only way it will work now is if I turn off enhanced 4K on the receiver. But then I don’t get hdr or Dolby vision
post #739 of 744 Old 08-10-2019, 02:42 AM

I am not sure if this subject is allowed in this forum but I am curious if anyone has successfully unlocked this player for multiregion dvd and bluray playback? I also have a LG BP450 bluray player which I managed to unlock following an easy to find tutorial that i cannot post here because I only have 4 posts in this forum. After this post and if anyone is interested I can share the link here on the forum.

This little hack worked in my Dad's BP250 Bluray player (non 3D) as well, but I read somewhere that it's a hit or miss case. Here in Portugal this works flawlessly for these models. Of course there is a catch... This method only works for dvds, but it's a cool little trick. Given the fact that my UBK90 has essentially the same software I feel tempted!

Any thoughts on this?
ballyerhead likes this.
post #740 of 744 Old 08-10-2019, 10:45 AM

My Xbox one x is playing 4K discs with no issues. It seems like a handshake issue. I tried the hdmi that came with the Xbox on the ubk90 and still the same issue. I think I may have to get the Sony. Going to contact lg first though.
post #741 of 744 Old 08-11-2019, 02:48 PM
jcc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I am not sure if this subject is allowed in this forum but...

Any thoughts on this?
Hi, unfortunately, you're not allowed to talk about hacks on this forum so you should probably remove your request. Thanks.

I'm a web developer Jim, Not a doctor!

C8 FAQ
post #742 of 744 Old 08-11-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
I am not sure if this subject is allowed in this forum but I am curious if anyone has successfully unlocked this player for multiregion dvd and bluray playback? I also have a LG BP450 bluray player which I managed to unlock following an easy to find tutorial that i cannot post here because I only have 4 posts in this forum. After this post and if anyone is interested I can share the link here on the forum.

This little hack worked in my Dad's BP250 Bluray player (non 3D) as well, but I read somewhere that it's a hit or miss case. Here in Portugal this works flawlessly for these models. Of course there is a catch... This method only works for dvds, but it's a cool little trick. Given the fact that my UBK90 has essentially the same software I feel tempted!

Any thoughts on this?
Just buy 4k discs, the have no region encoding
gene9p likes this.
post #743 of 744 Old 08-15-2019, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys, I have tons of 4K movie collection and wouldn't mind investing in a dedicated UHD player. Currently I'm using my Xbox One X as my player. I have an LG 65C8 OLED and all the speakers and gadgets are connected through Marantz 8012 receiver.

Worth investing in a dedicated Blu-ray player for a bump in image quality? I am looking at LG players as they are 110/220v compatible while Sony players aren't. I prefer something with Dolby Vision.

Please advice.
post #744 of 744 Old 08-16-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 109
this little player is quite a steal refurbished. Hard to beat. I have one hooked up alongside my OPPO 103, doesn't do 4K, in bedroom setup that includes an LG 55C7. Highly recommend trying one for yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
disable on screen display , lg ubk 90 , on screen pop ups

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page