OFFICIAL LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136Likes

post #751 of 759 Old 09-18-2019, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've had the ubk90 for a week and there was an issue with flickering image. I put in the 4k disc of the first man and the image's colors kept flickering really fast... Maybe like it couldn't decide what color space to use. A combination of opening and closing the disc tray and turning the player off and on fixed it and I was able to watch the movie without a hitch one the issue fixed itself. I popped it in a few days later and the same thing happened, tried to resolve it and it got to what was supposed to be the main menu was only the main menu image, none of the options were showing like Play, Extras, etc. Did the same thing with the disc tray and power cycle and it worked again.

I've only been about to test the one movie so far so not sure if it was an issue with the disc but it's brand new so not likely. Anyone run into this issue before? Should I exchange the player for another? I should be about to test another movie this weekend so if it happens again I'll post a video. It's kind of hard to explain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 759 Old 09-18-2019, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Smile Perhaps it is the HDMI Cable??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner89 View Post
I've had the ubk90 for a week and there was an issue with flickering image. I put in the 4k disc of the first man and the image's colors kept flickering really fast... Maybe like it couldn't decide what color space to use....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staying Salty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Quote:
After about 5 minutes of the screen cutting in an out, screens with snow and black screens, the Apple TV will work and I can play something. But as soon as I go back to the menu it will completely go black or if I pause a movie and go back it will stutter. What's weird is sometimes even if I power the Oppo on and off after getting a black screen, it still won't come back to life.
What you are describing sounds like a problem with marginal HDMI cabling. Keep in mind that HDMI is an end to end protocol, so every cable/gadget/device/adapter/wall-plate/etc. in the entire length of the signal path should be suspect.

The Apple TV 4K does a lot of HDMI handshakes -- particularly when set to preserve frame rate and video dynamic range. It doesn't take much for the copy protection check to fail, for example. Copy protection on HDMI is finicky by design. It LIKES to fail.
--Bob
Quote:
The sweet spot for HDMI cable length is actually 6 feet (2 meters). It is pretty commonly known that long HDMI cables can cause problems, but less commonly known that short cables can too. Unlike with Analog audio interconnects, with HDMI it is NOT the case that shorter is always better.

You may be right that the TV is causing the problem. This stuff is devilishly difficult to diagnose. But with excessive handshakes and black screen reports my FIRST thought would be to look to the cables. A few points:

1) HDMI is friction fit, and it only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up.

2) New cables are MORE susceptible to problem (1) because of packaging kinks in the cables causing tugging on the plugs in sockets.

3) All cables have mechanical tolerances. Sometimes even a new cable will fail simply because the mechanical fit of plug and socket is not as good as with an otherwise identical replacement cable.

My first step given what you reported would be to simply go along the ENTIRE length of the signal path and unplug / re-plug each HDMI plug in its socket, checking along the way that each plug is fully inserted straight into the socket with nothing (e.g., cable weight or cable kinks) tugging on it in any direction.

Ideally these days, EVERY HDMI cable in the signal path should be HDMI Ultra HD Premium Certified, even if you are not running 4K/HDR video along that length of cable. The Premium Certified cables are simply the best so far for design specs and testing protocols. Even on the lower bandwidth connections, using a Premium Certified cable minimizes issues that can arise during the handshake and copy protection checks (which are low bandwidth communications running on the cable).
--Bob
Quote:
OK, on your TV diagnosis. For the cables, Premium Certified does not have to be expensive. Both Monoprice and Blue Jeans cable sell reasonably priced cables of this type.

There is a real difference between the snake oil of the exotic (high priced) HDMI cables and the Premium Certified program. The design and testing specs promulgated by HDMI.ORG for their Premium Certified program are their best yet. They cover all sorts of things better than the prior generation of "High Speed" HDMI cables, including even things like mechanical robustness in the face of bending of the cable. Although it may not make a difference in your situation, I don't want to leave this unstated: Anybody buying an HDMI cable today for *ANY* reason should be looking to get a Premium Certified cable -- at a reasonable price of course.

What's going on with the shorty cables is as follows:

HDMI is just a cheap, twisted pair copper, electric transport. The signals ARE going to degrade as they pass along the length of the cable. What makes the cables still work -- even in the face of today's higher bandwidth signals -- is equalization algorithms built into the transmitter and receiver chips at either end.

Those algorithms attempt to counter the cable-length-related signal degradation. And to DO that, they need to make some assumptions about how much degradation is likely to occur.

And the assumptions have 6 foot length built into that model.

So longer cables have MORE degradation, but still close enough, and short cables have LESS degradation, but not so MUCH less as to cause problems.

Nevertheless, 6 foot length is the sweet spot. Just as some people will have no problems with their long cables, other folks will have no problems with their short cables. But using a 6 foot long cable whenever possible maximizes your odds.
--Bob
You should be using *ONLY* HDMI Ultra HD Premium Certified cables for *ALL* of your HDMI connections:HDMI "Premium Certified" Cables -- THESE are What You Want!

A HDMI Premium Certified Cable will save you a lot of aggravation.:
The links in this post give a good explanation of the need for a HDMI Premium Certified Cable. Especially important for showing Dolby Vision.

For those who are new to 4K this thread has a lot of information:

Ultra HD Blu-ray (4K) Discs and High Dynamic Range (HDR) for Dummies
beerhunt likes this.

"Death, where is thy sting"

Gelda “Know what is hidden…the dragon”

Alita “I know who my enemy is”
post #753 of 759 Old 10-03-2019, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Guys,
I have an ISO file on a mac machine , If I want to play from a usb stick ? I understand I need to convert the ISO file to Mkv.

I did use makemkv and converted the iso to Mkv , copied it to a USB . but the player does not recognize the file.

what am I doing wrong?

-- kris

Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, ? ? | FV18SW black oak grain finish Rev2 with paper cone driver | Marantz SR7012 | ATV 4K
| Epson 2045 cinematic Projector |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 759 Old 10-09-2019, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmeriser16 View Post
Hi Guys,
I have an ISO file on a mac machine , If I want to play from a usb stick ? I understand I need to convert the ISO file to Mkv.

I did use makemkv and converted the iso to Mkv , copied it to a USB . but the player does not recognize the file.

what am I doing wrong?

I use MakeMKV to create UHD MKVs and I haven't encountered any issues with it playing back the files, other than not playing the subtitles (it "sees" them but even if selected, will not play them...it plays subtitles in M2TS files just fine though). Then again, I have a Windows machine and not a Mac.

I would suggest first wiping the USB clean, then insert it into the player and let it format it. Then remove the USB from the player, put the USB into the computer, and transfer the MKV file onto the drive. Maybe there is something about the way the Mac formats the USB?
post #755 of 759 Old 10-17-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 116
no problems here. I use a Seagate portable 5GB hard drive to the USB input.
post #756 of 759 Old 10-23-2019, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just a quick post in praise of this unit.

I bought the one that Wal Mart sells that evidently is a rebadged UBK90, both according to the manual and a sticker on the back of the unit.

It replaces a Sony X700 that is only a few months old, than never played well with my 2019 M series Vizio TV. It suffered random video dropouts that could only be corrected by unplugging and reconnecting the player. Several different HDMI cables were tried with no improvement.

So I got mad and bought the LG. So far, working perfectly, on standard Blu rays and UHDs. The Netflix and YouTube apps work fine.

The unit is larger and heavier than the Sony and appears better built, even with an all-plastic case. The fact that it automatically turns DV on and off as appropriate is a big plus.

I'm very happy with my first LG purchase.
humbland, atfree, beerhunt and 1 others like this.
post #757 of 759 Old 10-24-2019, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Has anyone figured out how to get around the forced Dolby Vision in Netflix on LG OLED's? I keep checking for an update but not holding my breath. UHD playback is great but its too bad the rest of the player has a really dated interface.
post #758 of 759 Old 11-08-2019, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
AV Synch issue

Has anyone experienced a Synch issue with the UBK90? On all Blueray movies, I get a synch issue in that the audio precedes the video by a few frames. It fluctuates throughout the movie, but it's typically ~ 1 spoken word off. The netflix app on the UBK does not appear to have this issue. It's a 100% repeatable issue, so at least it's consistent.

Here's my setup if it helps:
[UBK90 Output 1] <-HDMI-> [Input 3 (Sat) Marantz AV7005 Output 1 (with ARC)] <-HDMI-> [Input 1 (with ARC) Vizio M501d-A2R LCD]

There is no lag when I connect the Blueray directly to the TV, but listening to the crappy TV speakers is not an acceptable solution
In this configuration, I have also sent the UBK90 Output 2 to the Input 3 (Sat) Marantz, but I get the identical lag issue.

I had been assuming the issue was in the preamp, so I've tried just about every setting on it. It's currently in PureDirect mode, which means it uses the raw Audio/Video provided by the source.

I'm out of ideas and could use any tips anyone has. I'm outside of my return window, but still within my warranty window, so unfortunately I can't just take it back.

It seems possible that the TV can't keep up with the source, but the video looks great so I don't think it's dropping frames or anything.

-Adam
post #759 of 759 Old 11-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by awpfab View Post
Has anyone experienced a Synch issue with the UBK90? On all Blueray movies, I get a synch issue in that the audio precedes the video by a few frames. It fluctuates throughout the movie, but it's typically ~ 1 spoken word off. The netflix app on the UBK does not appear to have this issue. It's a 100% repeatable issue, so at least it's consistent.

Here's my setup if it helps:
[UBK90 Output 1] <-HDMI-> [Input 3 (Sat) Marantz AV7005 Output 1 (with ARC)] <-HDMI-> [Input 1 (with ARC) Vizio M501d-A2R LCD]

There is no lag when I connect the Blueray directly to the TV, but listening to the crappy TV speakers is not an acceptable solution
In this configuration, I have also sent the UBK90 Output 2 to the Input 3 (Sat) Marantz, but I get the identical lag issue.

I had been assuming the issue was in the preamp, so I've tried just about every setting on it. It's currently in PureDirect mode, which means it uses the raw Audio/Video provided by the source.

I'm out of ideas and could use any tips anyone has. I'm outside of my return window, but still within my warranty window, so unfortunately I can't just take it back.

It seems possible that the TV can't keep up with the source, but the video looks great so I don't think it's dropping frames or anything.

-Adam
I get that every now and then using DV content on this unit and the philips DV player. I either pause it and then hit play, or I rewind a few seconds and then hit play. That usually does the trick for me to resync the streams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
disable on screen display , lg ubk 90 , on screen pop ups

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page