OFFICIAL LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 140Likes

post #781 of 795 Old 12-31-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyJ View Post
Thanks. One question -

When you play directly via your B7 (via USB/stream) - your receiver is showing TrueHD? I didn't think that was possible due to ARC limitations.

Then my problem is with the UBK90, it won't even play the TrueHD files - it tries and tries and then just ends up back at the menu. I tried multiple MKVs containing TrueHD files and none of them could even be read by the UBK90. Whereas all the DTS:X/HDMA played fine. Could always be something else that's preventing the TrueHD files, but that audio codec is the only common denominator I can think of. It can obviously play/pass TrueHD from Blu-rays directly, so not sure what the problem is.
I have this problem too. I put a UBK90 in my dad's home theater. Off a USB stick, the UBK90 croaks on the Dolby Atmos demo files that are MKV format. Spins and spins on them but they never play. The M2TS format Dolby Atmos demo files work fine.

I converted the MKV to M2TS through a complex process I found in a videohelp forum. I'll try the converted files next time I'm there.

This is a pretty old post I'm quoting. Assume this hasn't been fixed? Or should I do a firmware check?
I went pretty far down the rabbit hole on this issue. It has to do with blu-ray requirements when it comes to TrueHD.

For TrueHD, blu-Ray players require the ac3 “core” be combined with the THD track. Core in quotes because unlike DTS/DTS HD-MA (where the lossless track is just a “top up” from the lossy core), with THD/AC3, they really are full tracks.

I can’t remember if it’s a limitation of MKVs entirely, or just common practice, but all I’ve seen have the AC3 track separate from the THD. Hence why this (and all BD players?) can’t play the file. They should be able to though, which is frustrating. M2TS should work though as long as it has the THD combined with the AC3.

What I’m confused about though is what device people are using to play MKVs with THD separate from the ac3. I see so many of those files yet have no way without the complicated conversion you referenced (which is time consuming and always results in a stuttering file for me).

More info on THD vs DTS “cores” copied from another forum:

“ madshi
7th July 2010, 10:04
There are 2 different TrueHD streams:

(1) TrueHD+AC3. This is a mixed format. There are both (alternating) TrueHD and AC3 frames in the stream.

(2) TrueHD. This stream only contains TrueHD frames and no AC3 frames.

All Blu-Ray TrueHD streams are (1). All HD DVD TrueHD streams are (2). eac3to can convert between both stream types. Converting from (1) to (2) is very easy: The AC3 frames are simply removed. Converting from (2) to (1) is more difficult: The TrueHD stream must be decoded and reencoded to AC3 and then the AC3 frames must be injected into the TrueHD stream in a specific way.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 795 Old 12-31-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Most BD players use the same chip to playback and inherit the same restrictions on TrueHD playback on files, e.g. not on mkv files but yes on m2ts files.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
post #783 of 795 Old 01-01-2020, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyJ View Post
I went pretty far down the rabbit hole on this issue. It has to do with blu-ray requirements when it comes to TrueHD.

For TrueHD, blu-Ray players require the ac3 “core” be combined with the THD track. Core in quotes because unlike DTS/DTS HD-MA (where the lossless track is just a “top up” from the lossy core), with THD/AC3, they really are full tracks.

I can’t remember if it’s a limitation of MKVs entirely, or just common practice, but all I’ve seen have the AC3 track separate from the THD. Hence why this (and all BD players?) can’t play the file. They should be able to though, which is frustrating. M2TS should work though as long as it has the THD combined with the AC3.

What I’m confused about though is what device people are using to play MKVs with THD separate from the ac3. I see so many of those files yet have no way without the complicated conversion you referenced (which is time consuming and always results in a stuttering file for me).

More info on THD vs DTS “cores” copied from another forum:

“ madshi
7th July 2010, 10:04
There are 2 different TrueHD streams:

(1) TrueHD+AC3. This is a mixed format. There are both (alternating) TrueHD and AC3 frames in the stream.

(2) TrueHD. This stream only contains TrueHD frames and no AC3 frames.

All Blu-Ray TrueHD streams are (1). All HD DVD TrueHD streams are (2). eac3to can convert between both stream types. Converting from (1) to (2) is very easy: The AC3 frames are simply removed. Converting from (2) to (1) is more difficult: The TrueHD stream must be decoded and reencoded to AC3 and then the AC3 frames must be injected into the TrueHD stream in a specific way.”
Thanks for the interesting background! Like you said about TrueHD it seems like the MKV files generally follow (2) as well, so they require the (2) to (1) conversion operation.

Well, I was able to try my converted M2TS files on the UBK90 yesterday. They all played without a hitch, no issues really. This was the UBK90 feeding a Denon 4400H, it recognized them all as Dolby Atmos.

Two places talk about how to convert:

From here on AVS Forums (with pictures)
From VideoHelp Forums

The messages around them can help give context and experiences.

I find it pretty amazing how convoluted the whole scene is with regard to audio and video. 4K, HDR, Atmos, DTS:X, varying containers and codecs, streaming box limitations, etc. etc. It gets super confusing! I'm wondering if one day this will all sort itself out, or of these shenanigans will continue forever.

It's all so complicated I feel like I really have to just solve problems I run into in my video and audio explorations on a case by case basis, there will never be a good universal solution.

Overall, getting back to the UBK90 though, I find it to be a very capable player, I like its speed and simplicity - it seems to be able to play most anything the other brands can play as far as file formats I've tried (the MKV files failed in my Sony X700 too). For my dad's setup it is perfect as he also has a Roku Ultra. For streaming he goes to that, for discs he goes to the UBK90.

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 795 Old 01-19-2020, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have ubk90 and it has only netflix and youtube apps. How can I install other apps like disney+ and prime video?

Sent from my LG-V533 using Tapatalk
post #785 of 795 Old 01-19-2020, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldventure View Post
I have ubk90 and it has only netflix and youtube apps. How can I install other apps like disney+ and prime video?

You can't. You'll need a separate streaming device if you want a greater variety of apps. Firestick, Roku, ATV, NVidia, etc...
ynnek63 and Zoland2020 like this.
post #786 of 795 Old 01-19-2020, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldventure View Post

Those are the only apps it supports. There is no app store and there hasn't been a firmware update since I bought mine about 18 months ago. I don't see anymore apps coming to this device.
post #787 of 795 Old 01-20-2020, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I have the UBK80 and I discovered that when upscaling 1080/24 Blu-rays it won't honor the 24 fps signal and changes it to either 30 fps or 60 fps. I can't be sure, but I do know that my tv doesn't lock onto a 24 fps signal. My tv won't tell me the frame rate, but my auto detect motion handling doesn't flag it as 24 fps. The tv is the Sony X900F.

This is even when I have the player set to output 24 fps.

Can anyone else confirm this?
post #788 of 795 Old 01-20-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
I have the UBK80 and I discovered that when upscaling 1080/24 Blu-rays it won't honor the 24 fps signal and changes it to either 30 fps or 60 fps. I can't be sure, but I do know that my tv doesn't lock onto a 24 fps signal. My tv won't tell me the frame rate, but my auto detect motion handling doesn't flag it as 24 fps. The tv is the Sony X900F.

This is even when I have the player set to output 24 fps.

Can anyone else confirm this?
No, never had that kind problem on my UBK90. I can confirm on my Samsung 4K TV that it is indeed 24p @ 4K. In fact, when 24p is enabled, the LG player will only ouput 24p even if the disc is 60i/60p. Maybe your TV can't handle 24p @ UHD resolution for motion detect.
post #789 of 795 Old 01-20-2020, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My UBK80 does 4k 24p fine with my lg tv.
post #790 of 795 Old 01-20-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
No, never had that kind problem on my UBK90. I can confirm on my Samsung 4K TV that it is indeed 24p @ 4K. In fact, when 24p is enabled, the LG player will only ouput 24p even if the disc is 60i/60p. Maybe your TV can't handle 24p @ UHD resolution for motion detect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronand View Post
My UBK80 does 4k 24p fine with my lg tv.
Thanks for replies.

When I play an UHD disc, the player outputs 24p and the tv picks it up. When I play 1080 content upscaled through my Apple TV 4k, it outputs it at 24p and the tv picks it up as 24p. I do this with the same movie--the Blu-ray I purchased with a Movies Anywhere code included.

The issue is when the LG player upscales regular Blu-rays, it outputs 60p. If I set the player to output 1080/24p, the movie is sent as that and the tv picks it up.

Last edited by hodgjy; 01-20-2020 at 04:23 PM.
post #791 of 795 Old 01-20-2020, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My player upscales regular blurays correctly at 24p. I normally leave the resolution set to auto (which outputs 4k) except for the rare occasion I watch a DVD.
post #792 of 795 Old 01-20-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
Thanks for replies.

When I play an UHD disc, the player outputs 24p and the tv picks it up. When I play 1080 content upscaled through my Apple TV 4k, it outputs it at 24p and the tv picks it up as 24p. I do this with the same movie--the Blu-ray I purchased with a Movies Anywhere code included.

The issue is when the LG player upscales regular Blu-rays, it outputs 60p. If I set the player to output 1080/24p, the movie is sent as that and the tv picks it up.
Like I said, i played regular 1080/24 blue ray discs above. Not UHD discs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #793 of 795 Old 01-20-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Like I said, i played regular 1080/24 blue ray discs above. Not UHD discs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I figured it out, and it seems to be a bug with the player.

If I set resolution to 2160, it upscales Blu-rays to 4k 60. If I set resolution to auto, it upscales Blu-rays to 4k 24.

I was playing around with settings today to see if my tv upscaled better than the player.
post #794 of 795 Old Today, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question LG UBK90 Ultra HD Player 4K Movies?

When viewing a 4K movie on the LG UBK90 Ultra HD player, is there a way to verify that the player is indeed showing the movie in 4K? I notice that I can bring up an options setting when viewing a movie but I don't see anything in that setting the would verify the content is playing in 4K.
post #795 of 795 Old Today, 10:51 AM

That will be the job of your TV to tell you if you are receiving 4K signal assuming you trust the player that it will send out 4K video of a UHD disc instead of down sample it to 2k then upscale it to 4K (who in their right mind would do that)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
disable on screen display , firmware , lg ubk 90 , on screen pop ups , region , service menu , update

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page