OFFICIAL LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136Likes

post #91 of 759 Old 07-18-2018, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
You might find my Blog post on this helpful:

Lip Sync, OR Why Are Her Lips Still Moving After She's Stopped Talking?

If you STILL find a difference specific to Dolby Vision playback, check whether there's any additional video processing enabled in your display when it is playing Dolby Vision content. You will likely need to be playing Dolby Vision at the time to view/change these settings in your Display.

--Bob
Nice blog! I may try the TruMotion ON but set the dials to 0,0 since I to have a very slight AV sync concern with DV titles. Its minor and you have to be looking for it but its there..... just barely off by a smidge.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 759 Old 07-20-2018, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello, I recently picked up the UBK 90 after having issues with the Sony 700, I cannot seem to find a way to disable HDMI CEC in the player, or Simple Link.

I am only interested in having ARC for the built in apps on the TV, but yet every time I enable it when I switch sources with my harmony remote the TV tells the Blu Ray and Onkyo 676 to activate as if I wanted to watch Blu Ray.

LG OLED65E6P

Again Just wondering if there is a setting in the Player I am missing?

Thank You

P.S. I did try reaching out to LG but have had no response as of yet

Last edited by Mr BubbaHyde; 07-20-2018 at 06:32 AM.
post #93 of 759 Old 07-20-2018, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BubbaHyde View Post
Hello, I recently picked up the UBK 90 after having issues with the Sony 700, I cannot seem to find a way to disable HDMI CEC in the player, or Simple Link.

I am only interested in having ARC for the built in apps on the TV, but yet every time I enable it when I switch sources with my harmony remote the TV tells the Blu Ray and Onkyo 676 to activate as if I wanted to watch Blu Ray.

LG OLED65E6P

Again Just wondering if there is a setting in the Player I am missing?

Thank You
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe you turn off the HDMI CEC settings in the audio menu/section of the TV. Check that menu first.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 759 Old 07-20-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe you turn off the HDMI CEC settings in the audio menu/section of the TV. Check that menu first.
Thank You for the response but that disables the ability to do ARC as I understand, I have tried this and you must have it enabled to use ARC according to what I have read and tried, even my TV tells me I have to enable simple link to use ARC
post #95 of 759 Old 07-20-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Thank You for the response but that disables the ability to do ARC as I understand, I have tried this and you must have it enabled to use ARC according to what I have read and tried, even my TV tells me I have to enable simple link to use ARC
Oh ok. I'm not in front of my TV or player so I was just going off memory. Hopefully another owner will chime in with the solution.

Maybe these PDF's of the owners manual or users guide can assist you. https://www.lg.com/uk/support/support-product/lg-UBK90

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #96 of 759 Old 07-20-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Oh ok. I'm not in front of my TV or player so I was just going off memory. Hopefully another owner will chime in with the solution.

Maybe these PDF's of the owners manual or users guide can assist you. https://www.lg.com/uk/support/support-product/lg-UBK90
Thank You for the link, I posted here because Ive been trying since last night to get this worked out. My main reason for this is the ability for the built in app to do DV, where my Shield TV does not. I have been into the retail and home theatre end of electronics forever and have never come across this issue, no where in the menu of the LG 90 is there an option to turn HDMI CEC or simple link on or off

Thanks again
post #97 of 759 Old 07-20-2018, 06:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8330
Quote:
Thank You for the link, I posted here because Ive been trying since last night to get this worked out. My main reason for this is the ability for the built in app to do DV, where my Shield TV does not. I have been into the retail and home theatre end of electronics forever and have never come across this issue, no where in the menu of the LG 90 is there an option to turn HDMI CEC or simple link on or off

Thanks again
This seems to be the latest, popular, Factory Installed Gotcha: Non-Defeatable HDMI CEC.

Some folks have had to resort to HDMI cheater cables to solve this with other players. HDMI CEC uses a particular wire in the HDMI cable. Make a cable without that wire and HDMI CEC goes *poof*.

I've not been tracking where folks have been getting these. You might try Monoprice.com. Or try searching for CEC adapter here on AVS.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #98 of 759 Old 07-20-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
This seems to be the latest, popular, Factory Installed Gotcha: Non-Defeatable HDMI CEC.

Some folks have had to resort to HDMI cheater cables to solve this with other players. HDMI CEC uses a particular wire in the HDMI cable. Make a cable without that wire and HDMI CEC goes *poof*.

I've not been tracking where folks have been getting these. You might try Monoprice.com. Or try searching for CEC adapter here on AVS.
--Bob
Thank you!
post #99 of 759 Old 07-20-2018, 07:22 AM

Update:

So tell me if this makes any sense...

Removed the HDMI from the Blu Ray, Turned on all Simplink in audio and general on the TV, ran initial setup on the Onkyo again and now the ARC works no issue!

Now I will wait for the inevitable, simplink activating the 90 and me being pissed LOL
post #100 of 759 Old 07-20-2018, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Update:

So tell me if this makes any sense...

Removed the HDMI from the Blu Ray, Turned on all Simplink in audio and general on the TV, ran initial setup on the Onkyo again and now the ARC works no issue!

Now I will wait for the inevitable, simplink activating the 90 and me being pissed LOL
I hate that so many companies tied ARC in with their input selection protocol so that you can't use ARC without also turning it on. I want to send audio via ARC, but do not ever want any inputs to change automatically. Roku is really bad about waking up and changing inputs.
post #101 of 759 Old 07-20-2018, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
(snip)...Some folks have had to resort to HDMI cheater cables to solve this with other players. HDMI CEC uses a particular wire in the HDMI cable. Make a cable without that wire and HDMI CEC goes *poof*.

--Bob
It appears the OP found a work around. That said... some of the hacks I've read about mention bending back or cutting out pin number 13 in one end of the HDMI cable... others members simply cut the wire associated with pin 13. For those not as adventurous... I found on these on Amazon a while back... this "rather expensive" CEC Less Adapter or this 9" CEC Less cable at close to half the price of the adapter.

LG OLED65B6P - Yamaha RX-A880 - Roku Ultra - Chromecast Ultra - PC Gaming Console - Panasonic DP-UB820
post #102 of 759 Old 07-20-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
It appears the OP found a work around. That said... some of the hacks I've read about mention bending back or cutting out pin number 13 in one end of the HDMI cable... others members simply cut the wire associated with pin 13. For those not as adventurous... I found on these on Amazon a while back... this "rather expensive" CEC Less Adapter or this 9" CEC Less cable at close to half the price of the adapter.
Well I will definitely be getting one of those because not long after i posted the LG 90 Blu Ray kicked on switched my Onkyo to its input.

So for now I'm just gonna leave the HDMI out of the player, fortunately it's easy to get to when I go to watch a movie.

Suck a shame we can't just buy 1 Streaming box that will just do everything, thought I was done with that search after buying the Shield TV, but nope!....LOL

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I appreciate it!
post #103 of 759 Old 07-20-2018, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I found that UBK90 does not have Bluetooth connectivity for wireless headphones.
The TV I am going to buy LG Oled supports bluetooth.
Would it be OK to connect wireless headphone through TV instead of connecting to Blue ray player to watch movies from blue ray discs? Would there be any problem of lagging? Has anyone tried?
Thank you!
post #104 of 759 Old 07-20-2018, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So far I'm loving this player. Super fast, nice and quiet. Picture quality is amazing. Haven't had any hiccups with the movies I've watched so far.

Was considering sending it back since I heard the Xbox was getting DV, but I love watching a movie now without the noise of the Xbox.

Very nice simple player, with no frills or any features I will never use.
post #105 of 759 Old 07-21-2018, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Definitely quieter. Mine makes like no noise and even loading is almost silent. Haven’t checked the heat factor but I suspect it’s fine.

Yep, watched a Netflix copy of Jumanji last night on standard Blu-ray and it looked really good. I guess the scaling is decent enough although I still don’t like that it’s forced. My TV supports Dolby vision so I’m limited to choosing 2160p as the players output resolution or Auto. But, like I said, so far it’s been doing a solid job with standard Blu-ray Discs.

There is a network sub section but I haven’t checked what it does. I don’t think the player is very feature laden. Check the manual online and they may have more info. Or, I’ll take a look later tonight when I get home.
has anyone tested the local media functionality of this yet?

Think theres a few ppl waiting to see how it stacks up

cheers
post #106 of 759 Old 07-21-2018, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just ordered this player, excited to see what it can do.

Any settings on the player I should be aware of to set or adjust for LG B7 OLED?
post #107 of 759 Old 07-21-2018, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How does this player compare to the Philips BDP7302 in terms of speed? The Philips can be a bit noisy at the start though it sounds like the LG UBK90 is really quiet?
post #108 of 759 Old 07-21-2018, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohurst View Post
OK so from reading this thread...

If you own a Sony 940E TV with the X1 Extreme processor that supports DV, you can buy the X700 BD player and manually switch back and forth for DV. Ugh

Or you could buy the UBK90 which has auto detect for DV, but DOESN'T SHOW DV on a Sony TV. Because Sony is "different"

Or you could buy the Oppo 203. No issues with DV on that for Sony TV's?
Sony DV is low latency DV which is the latest dv which I assume that this LG UBK does not have.

Sony XBR75X940E, Onkyo TX-RZ810, Klipsch speakers, SVS subwoofer, Tivo Roamio
post #109 of 759 Old 07-21-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post
Just ordered this player, excited to see what it can do.

Any settings on the player I should be aware of to set or adjust for LG B7 OLED?
Cool. Let us know how it works out once you get it fired up. I didn’t mess with any settings and own the E6 OLED. Just realize that since your TV supports Dolby vision that the player will force your video output to be 2160p meaning the player will do the upscaling of Blu-ray 1080p Discs. No way around it. Not a deal killer but I used to let my TV do the scaling and always set the resolution from the player to be whatever the resolution of the disc I was watching.

Otherwise, not much to set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Cloud View Post
How does this player compare to the Philips BDP7302 in terms of speed? The Philips can be a bit noisy at the start though it sounds like the LG UBK90 is really quiet?
Mine is very quiet. Most people report that there’s is pretty quiet too.

Watched Annihilation last night in Dolby vision. Looked great, no hiccups or issues. I’m like 95% keeping this player now and will use the Samsung 8500 as a backup.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #110 of 759 Old 07-21-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
So the "consensus" seems to be that the UBK90 is just as good as the Sony X800/X1000 - as far as picture quality...?

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #111 of 759 Old 07-21-2018, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post
Sony DV is low latency DV which is the latest dv which I assume that this LG UBK does not have.

So was the Oppo firmware updated to play nice with the Sony's on DV? They were release before the LG.
How would Oppo already have low latency DV?
post #112 of 759 Old 07-21-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
So the "consensus" seems to be that the UBK90 is just as good as the Sony X800/X1000 - as far as picture quality...?
I never owned either of those Sony's but I sold my Oppo 203 for this LG and the PQ is the same.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #113 of 759 Old 07-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8330
Quote:
So was the Oppo firmware updated to play nice with the Sony's on DV? They were release before the LG.
Yes, and with hard work and much pain. By the way, "low latency" is Marketing-speak for Sony didn't want to make TVs which did the processing. The Power Of Marketing Compels You!
--Bob
dkwong likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #114 of 759 Old 07-21-2018, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Phony (Sony) in their infinite cheapness saved a few dollars by not having a Dolby Vision coprocessor to decode the Dolby Vision Metadata like other manufactures (LG, Vizio and TCL), they tried to use their main processor which does not have enough horse power to do the job. Since their hardware was not capable of doing the decode Sony cheaped out again by using a Dolby Vision profile that requires the source device to do part of the Dolby Vision processing. Sony seems to be turning into another Bose, selling lower quality products at outrageous prices and relying on clever marketing, instead of improving their products to compete with the other manufacturers.
post #115 of 759 Old 07-21-2018, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 140
So I can use the Oppo to handle all the DV decoding right? How can I ensure my 940E TV doesn't touch it?
post #116 of 759 Old 07-21-2018, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I can use the Oppo to handle all the DV decoding right? How can I ensure my 940E TV doesn't touch it?
The Sony TV still has to do a lot of the Dolby Vision processing itself, it has to use the low latency Dolby Vision profile because it is not capable of doing all the processing by itself and needs the Oppo to help out in the processing.
post #117 of 759 Old 07-22-2018, 04:34 AM

Just got a reply from LG on The HDMI CEC issue, or simple link, this is what I was afraid of, and how ridiculous this is, do the y not understand if you leave it on in the TV for ARC it constantly tells the player to turn on and switch to that input on your receiver?
Or if you turn it off you can't use ARC? They seriously need to rethink this....

Thank you for contacting LG Email Services and for getting back to us.

We appreciate you contacting us regarding your LG UBK90 player. It is a pleasure to assist you again.

In response to this, please be advised that upon checking the manual of the player attached with this message, the option to turn off the SIMPLINK feature is unavailable with the unit. This is turned on when the SIMPLINK setting on the TV is turned on and if the unit is connected with the TV through an HDMI cable with CEC. The unit automatically recognizes the signal coming form the TV for the SIMPLINK feature once it is turned on and this allows the remote control of the said TV to control the basic functions of the player.

To deactivate the SIMPLINK option on the player, the feature has to be turned off from the source device which is the TV.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Should you have any further inquiries or clarifications, please do let us know and we'll be glad to help out. You may contact us again via Email, Live Chat, or Phone by calling 1-800-243-0000.

Thank you for contacting LG.

Sincerely Yours,

Cel
-------------------------
LG Email Department
Toll Free number: 1-800-243-0000
LGEAI
post #118 of 759 Old 07-22-2018, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
By the way, "low latency" is Marketing-speak for Sony didn't want to make TVs which did the processing.

The Power Of Marketing Compels You!
Got a good chuckle from your closing comment... Thank you ... (my wife was scared witless by The Exorcist)

LG OLED65B6P - Yamaha RX-A880 - Roku Ultra - Chromecast Ultra - PC Gaming Console - Panasonic DP-UB820
post #119 of 759 Old 07-22-2018, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So I did a UHD Harry potter marathon over this weekend and on 4 of the 5 movies I had freezes with this player. And when it was froze, it had to be restarted most of the time. I didn't have an issue watching The Last Jedi, but I did with these. The discs were literally right out of the package in to the player tray, clean, no smudges.

I am not sure if this is a player issue or a disc issue, but it makes me want crash watch all my UHD movies to test to find out if its related to the player. Being that it were multiple Potter movies, it seems hard to believe that it was disc issues.
post #120 of 759 Old 07-22-2018, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiggyjk View Post
So I did a UHD Harry potter marathon over this weekend and on 4 of the 5 movies I had freezes with this player. And when it was froze, it had to be restarted most of the time. I didn't have an issue watching The Last Jedi, but I did with these. The discs were literally right out of the package in to the player tray, clean, no smudges.

I am not sure if this is a player issue or a disc issue, but it makes me want crash watch all my UHD movies to test to find out if its related to the player. Being that it were multiple Potter movies, it seems hard to believe that it was disc issues.
Did you wash the disc that froze? Just because they are new does not mean that they are clean, some discs have a film on them from the manufacturing process, you can't see it but it is there and UHD players are very sensitive to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
disable on screen display , lg ubk 90 , on screen pop ups

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page