OFFICIAL LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

post #1 of 754 Old 07-05-2018, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 257
OFFICIAL LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

This AVS Forum thread is for discussion of the LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Players

No Price talk please...

Both the UBK90 and UBK80 adhere to UHD Blu-ray specification and will support 4K resolution, HDR10, and object-based audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. In addition to Dolby Vision support the UBK90 offers two HDMI outputs (1 for video, 1 for audio) and built-in WiFi. The UBK80 has only one HDMI port and an Ethernet port.

The following hyperlink is to a LG-USA web page for the specific model LG UBK90:
https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-...blu-ray-player

The following hyperlink is to a LG-USA web page for the specific model LG UBK80:
https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-...blu-ray-player

Multi View likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 754 Old 07-05-2018, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Post # 2 reserved for hyperlinks / updates / summaries.

Also be sure to check this thread for questions / concerns posted by some early adopters on the unveiling of the UBK90/80

Last edited by Elton Noway; 07-05-2018 at 07:34 AM.
post #3 of 754 Old 07-05-2018, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
There is already a LG UBK90/80 4K Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread. This thread is unnecessary.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 754 Old 07-05-2018, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
There is already a LG UBK90/80 4K Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread. This thread is unnecessary.
Thanks for the heads up. Can you provide a link? I did extensive searching and found no "Official owners thread". ... all I found was this thread discussing LG's unveiling of the model line:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...bk90-80-a.html

If an "Official Owners Thread" has already been created I'll be glad to delete the one I started.
post #5 of 754 Old 07-05-2018, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Can you provide a link? I did extensive searching and found no "Official owners thread". ... all I found was this thread discussing LG's unveiling of the model line:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...bk90-80-a.html

If an "Official Owners Thread" has already been created I'll be glad to delete the one I started.
The one you referenced in the link is the one I am talking about. Specifically, is it an "Owners Thread"? No. But, it has a lot of questions and feedback from owners and from people who are thinking about purchasing it. I brought it up because I follow the other thread and I clicked on the one you created, thinking it was the original thread, and there was no info, so I was confused for a second.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 07-05-2018 at 07:31 AM.
post #6 of 754 Old 07-05-2018, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
The one you referenced in the link is the one I am talking about. Specifically, is it an "Owners Thread"? No. But, it has a lot of questions and feedback from owners and from people who are thinking about purchasing it. I brought it up because I follow the other thread and I clicked on the one you created, thinking it was the original thread, and there was no info, so I was confused for a second.
Yep... I picked up my UBK90 yesterday and went looking for the owners thread. Only found the thread on the unveiling. However, since it included some good information I included a link to it in my second thread reserved for updates etc. I also put a link to the Official Owners Thread in the unveiling thread. Hopefully as new owners come on board this thread will become more populated.
PlasmaHiDef likes this.

Last edited by Elton Noway; 07-05-2018 at 07:48 AM.
post #7 of 754 Old 07-05-2018, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

An issue reported by @kaiyen in the unveiling thread (i.e., white screen, freezing, failing to respond) had me concerned. I hooked mine up using Premium Certified HDMI cables and just finished watching a Blu-Ray (non 4K UHD) and it played flawlessly. I have and extensive collection of Blu Rays... but no UHD's to test at this time. Will be adding some to my collection this week. I'm hoping (guessing) kaiyens problem might have be related to cable issues.

Problem: The UBK90 will power on when you use your TV Magic Remote to turn on your B6/C6.
Solution: Thanks to @mikez28 In the menu turn the Simple-Link feature off. The UBK90 will no longer turn on when turning on your set.

NOTE: Unfortunately... it seems the Magic Remote that comes with the LG TV is not 100% compatible with the UBK Bluray player. (at least not in the case of my B6) The only keys that work are the d-pad buttons, play, and pause. The scroll wheel in the center does not interact with the BD player. You'll find in some situations you'll need to use the remote that comes with the player.

Standard vs Vivid - Potential Issue For Some: At this time "Standard is the default". When placing a disc in the unit, either Blu-ray or 4K it defaults to Standard. If you prefer Vivid you need to go to the options menu and set the picture from "Standard" to "Vivid". Ideally, a future firmware update would allow the user to select and save their preferred defaults.

Last edited by Elton Noway; 07-06-2018 at 07:10 AM. Reason: update
post #8 of 754 Old 07-05-2018, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Just unboxed my UBK90 and did a quick setup and Dolby vision test. Setup was easy and it was up and running in no time. I’m glad this unit has the capability to turn OFF the "auto power off" feature since that messes with my harmony remote stuff. BTW, I’m using a harmony 700 and it worked perfectly so far with this player.

The player did a wireless update right away which went without a hitch. First UHD disc I tried was tomb raider 2018. The unit is very quiet so that’s good since the previous gen player had a lot of noise complaints. The one I got is very quiet. The disc loaded right up and the Dolby Vision indicator popped right up on my OLED. My AVR is older so I have to run the two HDMI cable setup. I have the player set to PCM and I chose the resolution since if it’s on AUTO then the player does the scaling and I’d rather my TV do it.

So, I skipped ahead a few chapters and started watching. Looks great! Perfectly black bars, excellent highlights and image quality. The DV is kicking in nice with this title. I’m using Movie Bright mode on my OLED with a few small tweaks for the record. The sound quality is as expected too. Those of you with Atmos ready AVRs will have to assess the performance but even with my downmix of Atmos to my 5.1 system, it was thumping and clean.

Not much else to say other than I finally have DV suppport on my OLED completely now! The player seems fine too with my obvious limited testing here. Quiet, easy to setup and fast loading. Excellent PQ. Easily as good as my Samsung 8500 and of course that player doesn’t do DV and never will, hence the purchase of the UBK-90. . I’ll be trying some 3D titles later too but I expect they’ll be fine.

So far, so good. Let’s keep this thread going here with other users comments, questions and settings discussions.
mike1sc likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #9 of 754 Old 07-05-2018, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Just unboxed my UBK90 and did a quick setup and Dolby vision test. Setup was easy and it was up and running in no time. I’m glad this unit has the capability to turn OFF the "auto power off" feature since that messes with my harmony remote stuff. BTW, I’m using a harmony 700 and it worked perfectly so far with this player.

The player did a wireless update right away which went without a hitch. First UHD disc I tried was tomb raider 2018. The unit is very quiet so that’s good since the previous gen player had a lot of noise complaints. The one I got is very quiet. The disc loaded right up and the Dolby Vision indicator popped right up on my OLED. My AVR is older so I have to run the two HDMI cable setup. I have the player set to PCM and I chose the resolution since if it’s on AUTO then the player does the scaling and I’d rather my TV do it.

So, I skipped ahead a few chapters and started watching. Looks great! Perfectly black bars, excellent highlights and image quality. The DV is kicking in nice with this title. I’m using Movie Bright mode on my OLED with a few small tweaks for the record. The sound quality is as expected too. Those of you with Atmos ready AVRs will have to assess the performance but even with my downmix of Atmos to my 5.1 system, it was thumping and clean.

Not much else to say other than I finally have DV suppport on my OLED completely now! The player seems fine too with my obvious limited testing here. Quiet, easy to setup and fast loading. Excellent PQ. Easily as good as my Samsung 8500 and of course that player doesn’t do DV and never will, hence the purchase of the UBK-90. . I’ll be trying some 3D titles later too but I expect they’ll be fine.

So far, so good. Let’s keep this thread going here with other users comments, questions and settings discussions.
Great to hear of your success so far. Lots of similarities. You mentioned using a Harmony 700. That's good to hear! I've been a little concerned because I read Logitech hasn't updated their software yet to include the UBK90/80. I'm using a Harmony 800 but have been too busy to check or attempt updating it. My AVR is also older so using the two HDMI approach. (The wife wasn't to happy when I mentioned I was looking into getting a new one.) My 8 year old Samsung DMP-BD85 (high end at the time) still works great. In initial testing I'll admit I was slightly disappointed I didn't notice any difference in PQ between playing a standard bluray on the Samsung vs the UBK90. Then again, I didn't buy the UBK90 to play standard blurays and like you, my objective was to finally have DV support for my OLED. Looking forward to picking up a couple UHD discs.

Many of the early cons seemed to focus on lack of streaming (i.e. limited to Netflix and Youtube) For me, I considered it a Pro. I have four other devices for streaming all the various apps and didn't need to introduce another one. So far I think this device is perfect.
parkman and RoadLizard like this.

LG OLED65B6P - Yamaha RX-A880 - Roku Ultra - Chromecast Ultra - PC Gaming Console - Panasonic DP-UB820

Last edited by Elton Noway; 07-05-2018 at 11:16 AM.
post #10 of 754 Old 07-05-2018, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great to hear of your success so far. Lots of similarities. You mentioned using a Harmony 700. That's good to hear! I've been a little concerned because I read Logitech hasn't updated their software yet to include the UBK90/80. I'm using a Harmony 800 but have been too busy to check or attempt updating it. My AVR is also older so using the two HDMI approach. (The wife wasn't to happy when I mentioned I was looking into getting a new one.) My 8 year old Samsung DMP-BD85 (high end at the time) still works great. In initial testing I'll admit I was slightly disappointed I didn't notice any difference in PQ between playing a standard bluray on the Samsung vs the UBK90. Then again, I didn't buy the UBK90 to play standard blurays and like you, my objective was to finally have DV support for my OLED. Looking forward to picking up a couple UHD discs.

Many of the early cons seemed to focus on lack of streaming (i.e. limited to Netflix and Youtube) For me, I considered it a Pro. I have four other devices for streaming all the various apps and didn't need to introduce another one. So far I think this device is perfect.
Yeah, I’d love to get an AVR but I’m going to wait until I can do the extra speakers and rearrange the living room a bit too. No rush, even my pedestrian 5.1 system does a great job for now. So nice to have proper DV support finally, isn’t it? And so far it appears I got a good player.

Streaming isn’t an issue, I actually use the apps built into the TV and that works fine for me.

I’m sure your remote will work with the UBK player, mine has so far without issue.

Let’s keep watching and reporting back! Pumped to watch some UHDs in Dolby vision now....

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #11 of 754 Old 07-05-2018, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Picked mine up the other day. Been great so far. Man the UI is basic, but that’s fine for me. I do wish I could find a way to play DV disc rips on it. Hate having to swap discs.
post #12 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm so glad someone started this thread.

I bought an LG 65" C8 and picked up the UBK90 to go along with it. Decided against the Sony X700 because I thought having to toggle Dolby Vision on and off would be a major pain.

My experience so far has been mixed.

I should mention that I had ordered new certified HDMI cables from Monoprice but they have not arrived, so I had to use some HDMI cables I had been using with my other TVs.

I turn on the player and am greeted with a super blurry LG logo and then the sparse menu. The menu looked blurry as well. I know that the interface on these budget players usually aren't rendered in 4K, but it still seemed off. I popped in the Brave blu ray as my first test to see how standard 1080p content would play. I found the image to be extremely soft. Looked kind of like the menu. I verified that the TV was receiving a 4K signal from the player upscaling the blu ray. I figure this soft image is not normal, so I hunt down another HDMI cable. I grab the one that I was using between my PS4 and the plasma the OLED was replacing. Things visibly improved. The menu wasn't as blurry and the Brave disc seemed much sharper. However it still seemed a bit soft. I know that the C8 is capable of upscaling 1080p content quite nicely because hours before the family and I watched Coco via Netflix. It looked amazing, much better than the Brave disc and that Coco stream was only 1080p.

So here I come across the first missing feature that really annoys me. There is no way to disable upscaling (that I have found) of standard blu rays at the player and send your TV a 1080p signal. I know the Sony X700 can do this. I would imagine the C8 has much better upscaling capabilities than an entry level UHD player. Has anyone found a way to disable the upscaling done by the player?

The next night I rented my first 4K Blu Ray from my local Redbox: Tomb Raider. This is a Dolby Vision disc. I was blown away - by the image quality, not the movie. I have never seen anything so sharp outside of store demos. And the highlights! Oh those highlights! It was really phenomenal. Which got me thinking again that the softness I say on regular blu ray was the result of the player's upscaling prowess and no longer a cable issue. Because why did a native 4K disc look so spectacular? But I second guessed this reasoning the next night.

The following day I rented Red Sparrow. I posted what happened in the C8 owner's thread because this one didn't exist yet, but I will repost it here with some modifications:

I play the Red Sparrow disc and I got the HDR logo and noticed some very nice highlights during the film, especially on stuff like street lights and the lights in the theater in the ballet scene in the beginning. Not as impressive as Tomb Raider but still pretty cool. This is an HDR10 disc, not Dolby Vision BTW. Everything seemed to play OK except one scene where a character walks into a room where Jennifer Lawrence is sitting on a bed with a window in the background. Suddenly the window became very bright just after the beginning of the scene. It was almost as if HDR was momentarily turned off and then came back on. Very weird. But the weirdness didn't stop there.

In some scenes there are characters in the foreground and characters just slightly out of focus in the background. Sometimes those background actors looked squished. I saw this especially in scenes where Jennifer Lawrence's character is being trained at the school. The teacher in the background in some shots looked like she was being squished vertically. This warping/squishing effect also is seen in one scene where the a guy just sitting in his car thinking about what to do next. The objects in the background suddenly warped is if contracting and then expanding. This did not look normal at all and did not seem part of the movie. It was like what I was seeing with the teacher in the classroom scene. I was wondering if the Just Scan setting on the TV had something to do with this but I don't think so.

After finishing the movie I wanted to play around with picture settings to see what the different options did and to see if I could recreate that weird things I mentioned above. So I skipped to the the ballet scene in the beginning again and hit play after fast forwarding to what I thought was a good spot. I noticed that the lights were not brighter than the surrounding scene, as if HDR were turned off. They didn't have that HDR glow I noticed just having viewed the movie. I looked at the info for the input and it said it was receiving HDR and Dolby Atmos. Even my wife agreed that it didn't look like it did when we first watched the scene. I say "even my wife" because she isn't into this like I am. So for her to notice the difference it was very noticeable.

So I stop the disc and then restart it. Once again I get the HDR logo and the player asks me if I want to resume playback from my previous spot. I say yes, and guess what, the HDR highlights are back. My wife comments "yeah, now they are super bright again". So I fast forward to another scene and the same issue happens again. The HDR processing seems to have shut off even though the input info still says I am getting an HDR signal. I go back to the ballet scene and the lights are dull again. I stop and restart the disc, but even though I get the HDR logo popping up the highlights are still gone. Like the TV isn't doing anything with the metadata after I fast forward or rewind. I finally got it working again by shutting off the blu ray player, switching inputs, then going back and restarting the movie. The highlights were back again.

During all this the TV was always in HDR picture mode. Anyone seen anything like this? It could be just a side effect of playing the movie outside of its normal speed and the TV and player losing sync.

So I went from a great experience with the Tomb Raider disc, to a very odd one with Red Sparrow.

Once I get my monoprice cables, I will test some more to see if any of these problems are still apparent. They may be partly to blame. I will also see if those certified cables do anything to the blu ray image quality.

But basically, it would be great if someone could test Red Sparrow on this player. Especially if they have an LG OLED. I am very intrigued by what I experienced yesterday.

Sorry for the long post, but a lot happened lol

Last edited by Rogue74; 07-06-2018 at 12:26 AM.
post #13 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue74 View Post
I'm so glad someone started this thread.

I bought an LG 65" C8 and picked up the UBK90 to go along with it. Decided against the Sony X700 because I thought having to toggle Dolby Vision on and off would be a major pain.

My experience so far has been mixed.

I should mention that I had ordered new certified HDMI cables from Monoprice but they have not arrived, so I had to use some HDMI cables I had been using with my other TVs.

I turn on the player and am greeted with a super blurry LG logo and then the sparse menu. The menu looked blurry as well. I know that the interface on these budget players usually aren't rendered in 4K, but it still seemed off. I popped in the Brave blu ray as my first test to see how standard 1080p content would play. I found the image to be extremely soft. Looked kind of like the menu. I verified that the TV was receiving a 4K signal from the player upscaling the blu ray. I figure this soft image is not normal, so I hunt down another HDMI cable. I grab the one that I was using between my PS4 and the plasma the OLED was replacing. Things visibly improved. The menu wasn't as blurry and the Brave disc seemed much sharper. However it still seemed a bit soft. I know that the C8 is capable of upscaling 1080p content quite nicely because hours before the family and I watched Coco via Netflix. It looked amazing, much better than the Brave disc and that Coco stream was only 1080p.

So here I come across the first missing feature that really annoys me. There is no way to disable upscaling (that I have found) of standard blu rays at the player and send your TV a 1080p signal. I know the Sony X700 can do this. I would imagine the C8 has much better upscaling capabilities than an entry level UHD player. Has anyone found a way to disable the upscaling done by the player?

The next night I rented my first 4K Blu Ray from my local Redbox: Tomb Raider. This is a Dolby Vision disc. I was blown away - by the image quality, not the movie. I have never seen anything so sharp outside of store demos. And the highlights! Oh those highlights! It was really phenomenal. Which got me thinking again that the softness I say on regular blu ray was the result of the player's upscaling prowess and no longer a cable issue. Because why did a native 4K disc look so spectacular? But I second guessed this reasoning the next night.

The following day I rented Red Sparrow. I posted what happened in the C8 owner's thread because this one didn't exist yet, but I will repost it here with some modifications:

I play the Red Sparrow disc and I got the HDR logo and noticed some very nice highlights during the film, especially on stuff like street lights and the lights in the theater in the ballet scene in the beginning. Not as impressive as Tomb Raider but still pretty cool. This is an HDR10 disc, not Dolby Vision BTW. Everything seemed to play OK except one scene where a character walks into a room where Jennifer Lawrence is sitting on a bed with a window in the background. Suddenly the window became very bright just after the beginning of the scene. It was almost as if HDR was momentarily turned off and then came back on. Very weird. But the weirdness didn't stop there.

In some scenes there are characters in the foreground and characters just slightly out of focus in the background. Sometimes those background actors looked squished. I saw this especially in scenes where Jennifer Lawrence's character is being trained at the school. The teacher in the background in some shots looked like she was being squished vertically. This warping/squishing effect also is seen in one scene where the a guy just sitting in his car thinking about what to do next. The objects in the background suddenly warped is if contracting and then expanding. This did not look normal at all and did not seem part of the movie. It was like what I was seeing with the teacher in the classroom scene. I was wondering if the Just Scan setting on the TV had something to do with this but I don't think so.

After finishing the movie I wanted to play around with picture settings to see what the different options did and to see if I could recreate that weird things I mentioned above. So I skipped to the the ballet scene in the beginning again and hit play after fast forwarding to what I thought was a good spot. I noticed that the lights were not brighter than the surrounding scene, as if HDR were turned off. They didn't have that HDR glow I noticed just having viewed the movie. I looked at the info for the input and it said it was receiving HDR and Dolby Atmos. Even my wife agreed that it didn't look like it did when we first watched the scene. I say "even my wife" because she isn't into this like I am. So for her to notice the difference it was very noticeable.

So I stop the disc and then restart it. Once again I get the HDR logo and the player asks me if I want to resume playback from my previous spot. I say yes, and guess what, the HDR highlights are back. My wife comments "yeah, now they are super bright again". So I fast forward to another scene and the same issue happens again. The HDR processing seems to have shut off even though the input info still says I am getting an HDR signal. I go back to the ballet scene and the lights are dull again. I stop and restart the disc, but even though I get the HDR logo popping up the highlights are still gone. Like the TV isn't doing anything with the metadata after I fast forward or rewind. I finally got it working again by shutting off the blu ray player, switching inputs, then going back and restarting the movie. The highlights were back again.

During all this the TV was always in HDR picture mode. Anyone seen anything like this? It could be just a side effect of playing the movie outside of its normal speed and the TV and player losing sync.

So I went from a great experience with the Tomb Raider disc, to a very odd one with Red Sparrow.

Once I get my monoprice cables, I will test some more to see if any of these problems are still apparent. They may be partly to blame. I will also see if those certified cables do anything to the blu ray image quality.

But basically, it would be great if someone could test Red Sparrow on this player. Especially if they have an LG OLED. I am very intrigued by what I experienced yesterday.

Sorry for the long post, but a lot happened lol
Hmmm. Can’t say I noticed any softness in my limited testing so far. I tried a 3D Blu-ray and that looked nice and sharp. 3D was great too. I watched a few chapters of tomb raider 2018 and the Dolby vision was superb. This is a demo worthy disc!

I also watched the first transformers last night and did have a freeze up at around chapter 19. Had to press stop on the remote and then restart the movie by skipping back to where I was. It played perfectly afterwards but I did have to log it as a freeze up. My Samsung 8500 like never froze....maybe once in hundreds of discs but I hardly remember. Hope this isn’t an ongoing issue. It’s important o make sure UHD discs are super clean. No fingerprints at all or even dust. They seem to be picky like that. I’ll be watching a lot of stuff to evaluate this player and make sure I’m keeping it. The Dolby vision is great and overall PQ is also excellent. But too many freeze ups will cause me to return it. We shall see.

As for the resolution and upscaling thing, yeah, it’s almost like you have to set that each time before loading a disc. But I’m not sure. I too would much rather my TV scale everything and the player should just pass off whatever the disc resolution is. I didn’t mind having to pick each time on my Samsung player so I was prepared to do that here. I just hope that the player doesn’t detect a 4K display and "force" the player to out put 2160p for everything. That would mean it’s doing scanning for Blu-ray Discs and 3D discs which I didn’t really want. Although, the 3D disc I tried yesterday did look good. Let’s see if we can figure out how to set it to output whatever we want so the TVs can do the scaling. Hopefully someone can figure this out. If not, that’s another negative check box .

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #14 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Interestingly, the player identifies itself as an UP970 over YouTube and Netflix screen sharing.

post #15 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmmm. Can’t say I noticed any softness in my limited testing so far. I tried a 3D Blu-ray and that looked nice and sharp. 3D was great too. I watched a few chapters of tomb raider 2018 and the Dolby vision was superb. This is a demo worthy disc!

I also watched the first transformers last night and did have a freeze up at around chapter 19. Had to press stop on the remote and then restart the movie by skipping back to where I was. It played perfectly afterwards but I did have to log it as a freeze up. My Samsung 8500 like never froze....maybe once in hundreds of discs but I hardly remember. Hope this isn’t an ongoing issue. It’s important o make sure UHD discs are super clean. No fingerprints at all or even dust. They seem to be picky like that. I’ll be watching a lot of stuff to evaluate this player and make sure I’m keeping it. The Dolby vision is great and overall PQ is also excellent. But too many freeze ups will cause me to return it. We shall see.

As for the resolution and upscaling thing, yeah, it’s almost like you have to set that each time before loading a disc. But I’m not sure. I too would much rather my TV scale everything and the player should just pass off whatever the disc resolution is. I didn’t mind having to pick each time on my Samsung player so I was prepared to do that here. I just hope that the player doesn’t detect a 4K display and "force" the player to out put 2160p for everything. That would mean it’s doing scanning for Blu-ray Discs and 3D discs which I didn’t really want. Although, the 3D disc I tried yesterday did look good. Let’s see if we can figure out how to set it to output whatever we want so the TVs can do the scaling. Hopefully someone can figure this out. If not, that’s another negative check box .
Still only able to demo mine with my older Blu-ray discs, no 4K UHD discs yet. 1080P has looked awesome but can't shake the feeling @Rogue74 may have stumbled onto something with the reports of "softness" after stopping and restarting a disc ( i.e., the possibility that HDR processing seems to shut off even though the input info still says he was getting an HDR signal.) Even more disturbing is the only way he said he could restore PQ was by shutting off the blu-ray player, switching inputs, then going back and restarting the movie. I'm hoping it's a hand shake issue and will be resolved with new cables.

I'm still in the watchful waiting mode when it comes to if this player will be plagued by disc freeze or not... although reading about your recent disc freeze is not reassuring. That said... disc freeze in 4K players, regardless of manufacturer, seems to be a common problem but some players/models seem to experience it more than others. If it does occasionally happen with this player I can live with it but if it does starts doing it every other disc or more often then I'm afraid it will be going back.

LG OLED65B6P - Yamaha RX-A880 - Roku Ultra - Chromecast Ultra - PC Gaming Console - Panasonic DP-UB820
post #16 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Had another audio dropout last night watching Annihilation on uhd bluray. I’m using the dual hdmi outputs with one going into my tv and another going into my receiver. I was using the Atmos track and the video was playing without any hiccups when this seconds-long audio dropout happened. The hdmi cable I’m using for the audio output was previously tested to be able to send hdr content, so I don’t think it’s a cable issue.
post #17 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwong View Post
Interestingly, the player identifies itself as an UP970 over YouTube and Netflix screen sharing.

Its odd that both Netflix and YouTube identify the player as a UP970... kind of makes me wonder if LG used the same chipset in the UBK90/80 as in the UP970 and the streaming sources are reading the hardware correctly. It's either that or this unit is so new that the various streaming sources have yet to update their database of known manufacturers hardware and is defaulting to the closest match it can find. The UP970 was plagued with reports of a having a Loud and Noisy disc drive. Hmmm... maybe all LG did was update the drive in the old 2017 UP970 chassis and relabel as the new UBK90 for their 2018 model?

Last edited by Elton Noway; 07-06-2018 at 08:04 AM.
post #18 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If I were to make an educated guess as a software engineer, I’d say that the screen sharing device name comes from the device itself and is embedded in the device’s firmware. It’s likely that LG started with a clone of the UP970’s firmware when making the UBK90 firmware and missed a find and replace.
post #19 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Still only able to demo mine with my older Blu-ray discs, no 4K UHD discs yet. 1080P has looked awesome but can't shake the feeling @Rogue74 may have stumbled onto something with the reports of "softness" after stopping and restarting a disc ( i.e., the possibility that HDR processing seems to shut off even though the input info still says he was getting an HDR signal.) Even more disturbing is the only way he said he could restore PQ was by shutting off the blu-ray player, switching inputs, then going back and restarting the movie. I'm hoping it's a hand shake issue and will be resolved with new cables.

I'm still in the watchful waiting mode when it comes to if this player will be plagued by disc freeze or not... although reading about your recent disc freeze is not reassuring. That said... disc freeze in 4K players, regardless of manufacturer, seems to be a common problem but some players/models seem to experience it more than others. If it does occasionally happen with this player I can live with it but if it does starts doing it every other disc or more often then I'm afraid it will be going back.
Yeah - a rare freeze here and there I suppose is normal for the format right now but there is a very fine line between whats acceptable and what would make me return the player. I dont have a high tolerance for it, thats for sure. Not when my allegedly crappy Samsung 8500K played like everything I threw at it like everytime. it doesnt do Dolby Vision though so thats why I upgraded. But I will be keeping an eye on freezes and whatever else. Its outta here if it does that, lol.

Im not sure about the softness thing. Havent experienced it at all. I hope it is his cables or something else. That just doesnt make sense.

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #20 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Just to clarify, the HDR issue was after fast forwarding through large portions of the movie while looking for a scene to test stuff on. That happened on a 4K blu ray of Red Sparrow. It never lost its sharpness, just the HDR effect.

What I noticed was kind of soft was regular blu ray upscaled to 4K before being sent to the TV. Sometimes this is hard to judge because not every transfer is equal. Some movies have a soft transfer because the studio just didn't do a very good job. However, I'm more inclined to think it was an upscaling issue in my particular case because I was testing with a Pixar film. Those things are always sharp as far as I know. Plus as I mentioned, Coco streamed via Netflix looked amazing. It wasn't the same movie but a similar CGI animated film. I don't think regular HD streamed should look sharper than Blu Ray. The bitrate on the physical media is much higher and more stable.

And again, keep in mind I'm still not using a certified (18 Gbps) cable yet. In other words, stay tuned. :P

I will say that the ability to disable upscaling should be standard on all players. When you consider that a premium player like the Oppo 203 has this option - even though by all accounts it has an excellent upscaler as you would expect from its price - there is no reason LG should assume its scaling is so awesome they should force you to use it instead of the A9 chip on their 2018 OLEDS or a Sony X1 Extreme equipped TV. It's stupid.
RoadLizard and mik2h like this.

Last edited by Rogue74; 07-06-2018 at 08:58 AM.
post #21 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwong View Post
If I were to make an educated guess as a software engineer, I’d say that the screen sharing device name comes from the device itself and is embedded in the device’s firmware. It’s likely that LG started with a clone of the UP970’s firmware when making the UBK90 firmware and missed a find and replace.
Ah... makes sense! If that's the case then I imagine LG will, or should, correct the anomaly with a future firmware update.

post #22 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I've had my UBK90 for about a week now.
So far, so good.
I got it Best Buy.
My only gripe is that the UBK90 won't put out DV to my Sony XBR65X930E. There's a conflict with Sony's DV profile.
I hope that gets resolved soon.

Last edited by teachsac; 07-06-2018 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Removed Deal's talk
post #23 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I will say that the ability to disable upscaling should be standard on all players. When you consider that a premium player like the Oppo 203 has this option - even though by all accounts it has an excellent upscaler as you would expect from its price - there is no reason LG should assume its scaling is so awesome they should force you to use it instead of the A9 chip on their 2018 OLEDS or a Sony X1 Extreme equipped TV. It's stupid.
Im thinking that the way to maybe bypass the player doing the scaling is to turn the player on as usual but immediately select your desired output resolution BEFORE inserting a disc or anything else. Ill try that too. It might not work but it seemed like after I had watched a 4K disc and wanted to change resolutions that it disabled everything but 2160p. Weird. I hope we can figure this out since this is a big negative, IMO. If I had known I might of not even bought it. But we'll see. Its gonna have to wow me over the next week with NO freezes or issues!

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #24 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Im thinking that the way to maybe bypass the player doing the scaling is to turn the player on as usual but immediately select your desired output resolution BEFORE inserting a disc or anything else. Ill try that too. It might not work but it seemed like after I had watched a 4K disc and wanted to change resolutions that it disabled everything but 2160p. Weird. I hope we can figure this out since this is a big negative, IMO. If I had known I might of not even bought it. But we'll see. Its gonna have to wow me over the next week with NO freezes or issues!
On my setup with an LG C8, the only two options I have for resolution is Auto and 2160p. Everything else is greyed out.
post #25 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just to clarify, the HDR issue was after fast forwarding through large portions of the movie while looking for a scene to test stuff on. That happened on a 4K blu ray of Red Sparrow. It never lost its sharpness, just the HDR effect.

What I noticed was kind of soft was regular blu ray upscaled to 4K before being sent to the TV. Sometimes this is hard to judge because not every transfer is equal. Some movies have a soft transfer because the studio just didn't do a very good job. However, I'm more inclined to think it was an upscaling issue in my particular case because I was testing with a Pixar film. Those things are always sharp as far as I know. Plus as I mentioned, Coco streamed via Netflix looked amazing. It wasn't the same movie but a similar CGI animated film. I don't think regular HD streamed should look sharper than Blu Ray. The bitrate on the physical media is much higher and more stable.

And again, keep in mind I'm still not using a certified (18 Gbps) cable yet. In other words, stay tuned. :P

Thanks for the clarification!
As to using or purchasing a Certified Premium 18Gbs cable be careful who you buy it from. To be safe, I personally, would steer clear of any unknown seller on ebay. In fact you even have to be careful when purchasing from Amazon as some sellers on Amazon are nothing more that store fronts to China.

As discussed in other AVS forum threads... the original safeguard to making sure you were buying a Certified cable was to look for the orange certified label:

However... even if you find a cable on Amazon or wherever advertised as "Certified Premium"... it may not be. Unfortunately China has picked up on the desire of buyers seeking the "Certified Premium" label and so there are now some fake cables out there that carry the label. You best bet is to buy from a trusted and reputable seller and not get sucked in by finding the same cable at a lower price.

Although it won't help with the initial purchase... if you go to the Google Play Store you can download an app provided by the HDMI Certification program. Just search the app store for "HDMI Premium Cable". Once installed you can use the app scan the hologram Bar code on the Orange Certified Premium cable as shown in the above photo. The app doesn't identify the characteristics of the cable but simply identifies if it's truly "Certified" by HDMI Licensing, LLC. If it isn't you will see a message similar to this:

If you buy a cable that is sold and ships from from Amazon the return and credit is no problem. If you purchased from a third party via Amazon you may or may not run into some resistance.

post #26 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 12:13 PM

Wow, didn't know there was such a racket going on with premium HDMI cables!

Thanks for the info!

I ordered from Monoprice.
post #27 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wow, didn't know there was such a racket going on with premium HDMI cables!
Thanks for the info!

I ordered from Monoprice.
Yep... I would feel ordering directly from Monoprice would be a safe bet. In this case they actually have a cheaper price than Amazon! That said... the quickest way to find/determine if the item you are buying is shipped and sold from Amazon is to click on the price section under "Compare with similar items". Below is an example using the Monoprice HDMI cable. As you can see there are multiple sellers of the same cable at different prices.

post #28 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On my setup with an LG C8, the only two options I have for resolution is Auto and 2160p. Everything else is greyed out.
Damn, I swear I had 1080p selected when I first turned on the player but Im probably stuck at Auto or 2160p. Seems the player is "determining" that the TV supports 2160p so it locks it in. Meh.

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #29 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I could have sworn I posted this already. Did I break a rule and get deleted?

I'm glad there is a thread for owners now. It was a bit hard being in the other one.

Interestingly, when I run the signal through my now-working audio system (got a replacement amp), which is based around a Marantz AV7704, everything is fine. This is using "old" high speed cables (premium Monoprice ones should be here tomorrow or Monday). The Marantz is doing something that cleans up the handshake part of the situation. So the player _seems_ fine - been through the Martian (also a good reference disc, IMO), which never played past 10 minutes, Saving Private Ryan (which admittedly did work) and now am 45 minutes into Inception. All HDR movies.

It's interesting that the TV would be so much more sensitive to handshake issues. Worth noting, at the least. But I'm really enjoying everything about UHD right now. When my original amp gets back from the shop I'll be adding Atmos toppers to my speakers to really enhance things.

Thanks everyone for all the help.
post #30 of 754 Old 07-06-2018, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Damn, I swear I had 1080p selected when I first turned on the player but Im probably stuck at Auto or 2160p. Seems the player is "determining" that the TV supports 2160p so it locks it in. Meh.
Haven't had a chance to look through all the menu features of the UBK90 yet but I believe its predecessor (the LG UP970) had a option in the menu that let you disable the upscaling feature which ultimately turned resolution control over to the TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
disable on screen display , lg ubk 90 , on screen pop ups

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page