Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5022Likes

post #4201 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4867 Post(s)
Liked: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I just moved to the UB820 to use with my RS400. I have Custom Curves on my JVC for HDR, and while they're decent, they're not ideal, and then there is still the disc to disc variation. My thinking is that I could get more consistent results with the UB820.
To me that's the biggest advantage of the UB820, compared with (fixed) curves. For displays that themselves adjust the curve based on the metadata, or if the user switches custom curves based on metadata, there's not that big a difference.l

Quote:
I have not rigorously compared HDR (using my custom curve) vs SDR-2020 (using Gamma 2.4) output to my Projector, but my initial impressions were that there wasn't an obvious difference, with the edge going perhaps towards HDR.
For this comparison you may want to construct a 500-nit custom curve (matching the UB820 output), instead of using existing curves which are likely for 1000-nit or 4000-nit maximum luminance.
Also, you will have to decide where to set the projector's peak luminance when using SDR2020, as the UB820 does not take that into consideration.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 04-26-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
To me that's the biggest advantage of the UB820, compared with (fixed) curves. For displays that themselves adjust the curve based on the metadata, or if the user switches custom curves based on metadata, there's not that big a difference.

For this comparison you may want to construct a 500-nit custom curve (matching the UB820 output), instead of the existing curves which are likely for 1000-nit or 4000-nit maximum luminance.
Also, you will have to decide where to set the projector's peak luminance when using SDR2020, as the UB820 does not take that into consideration.
Very good points, Dominic.

Do you have any readily available 500-nit curves, or would these still need to be customized on a room to room basis? It's been a while since I've played with Arve's software - which parameters and values would equate to an effective 500-nit curve? I can certainly open his software and generate one on this basis.

Lastly, have used the Masciola disc to tweak any settings, and if so, what was your procedure, which patterns were required, etc.?

Thanks.

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #4203 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you have any readily available 500-nit curves, or would these still need to be customized on a room to room basis? It's been a while since I've played with Arve's software - which parameters and values would equate to an effective 500-nit curve? I can certainly open his software and generate one on this basis.
I attached two 500-nit curves in this previous post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post57889880

Quote:
Lastly, have used the Masciola disc to tweak any settings, and if so, what was your procedure, which patterns were required, etc.?
I don't have the Masciola disc and only used these test patterns
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...terns-set.html
It was mostly to check for highlight clipping, and the reference white luminance.
DLCPhoto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4204 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I attached two 500-nit curves in this previous post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post57889880
Many thanks, Dominic.

Are you now using one of these with your JVC and UB820, and if not, why not, and what are you using?

I see the "sc" is supposed to be a bit brighter than the "hc" variant, with some tone-mapping in the 300-500 range: just curious what the abbreviations refer to?

Thanks again.

Don

post #4205 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you now using one of these with your JVC and UB820, and if not, why not, and what are you using?
I’m using neither. These curves can only be used with 500-nit max sources as tone-mapped by the UB820, but I don’t have it any more

Quote:
I see the "sc" is supposed to be a bit brighter than the "hc" variant, with some tone-mapping in the 300-500 range: just curious what the abbreviations refer to?
They correspond to “soft clip” and “hard clip” respectively. These only refer to the shape of the curves, there should be no hard clipping in the picture itself, as the UB820 was set up to output 500 nits max.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 04-26-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #4206 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m using neither. These curves can only be used with 500-nit max sources as tone-mapped by the UB820, but I don’t have it any more
Interesting - what is your current setup then for HDR? Did the UB820 not do what you needed/wanted it to do?

post #4207 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting - what is your current setup then for HDR? Did the UB820 not do what you needed/wanted it to do?
Most of my movie watching is on Netflix and the UB820 doesn’t do that great a job with streaming apps. It may do a better job than my X800 for playing UHD discs but not enough for me to justify the extra cost. I just set up 3 custom curves and manually select the “best” one for the movie.
post #4208 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most of my movie watching is on Netflix and the UB820 doesn’t do that great a job with streaming apps. It may do a better job than my X800 for playing UHD discs but not enough for me to justify the extra cost. I just set up 3 custom curves and manually select the “best” one for the movie.
Makes sense. Thanks for the help.

Will play around with the curves today or tomorrow.

post #4209 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
I'm surprised that you feel that the Netflix app on the UB820 "didn't do that great a job". I can access Netflix via ATV4K, Roku Ultra and the UB820 and I've found that, by using the Optimizer, the UB820 provides the best HDR presentation of any of my devices, especially when considering the additional user options available on my JVC NX7 projector. Although HDR via the UB820 has also been the most superior for Amazon Video, I've encountered more than occasional stuttering/judder with the UB820 when compared with either the ATV4K or Roku.

BTW, could you comment on whether or not you were able to receive Dolby Atmos from the appropriate Netflix titles in the UB820 app? If so, what AVR were you using? Thanks, and I apologize if you've previously answered that question.
mattztt likes this.
post #4210 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
I'm surprised that you feel that the Netflix app on the UB820 "didn't do that great a job". I can access Netflix via ATV4K, Roku Ultra and the UB820 and I've found that, by using the Optimizer, the UB820 provides the best HDR presentation of any of my devices, especially when considering the additional user options available on my JVC NX7 projector. Although HDR via the UB820 has also been the most superior for Amazon Video, I've encountered more than occasional stuttering/judder with the UB820 when compared with either the ATV4K or Roku.
I do not believe the Netflix app reads the metadata and sets the tone mapping accordingly (at least it does not display the metadata, the way it does for UHD discs). Also, i was not able to make it play video at 24Hz, even with the 24Hz option selected. My projector also resyncs much more frequently when using the UB820, compared with the ATV 4K.

Quote:
BTW, could you comment on whether or not you were able to receive Dolby Atmos from the appropriate Netflix titles in the UB820 app? If so, what AVR were you using? Thanks, and I apologize if you've previously answered that question.
Yes, I was able to get that on my AVR-X3300W (as previously replied )
post #4211 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
I do not believe the Netflix app reads the metadata and sets the tone mapping accordingly (at least it does not display the metadata, the way it does for UHD discs). Also, i was not able to make it play video at 24Hz, even with the 24Hz option selected. My projector also resyncs much more frequently when using the UB820, compared with the ATV 4K. Yes, I was able to get that on my AVR-X3300W (as previously replied )
I've asked that Dolby Atmos question so many times on so many forums that I've pretty much lost track of who has responded either "yes" or "no". It seems that only post-2016 Denon owners have reliably had success within the UB820's Netflix app. Here's another question for you, one that I haven't previously asked: if your Movies Anywhere account is linked to Amazon Video, were you able to get Dolby Atmos in the Amazon app from the UB820???
post #4212 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
I've asked that Dolby Atmos question so many times on so many forums that I've pretty much lost track of who has responded either "yes" or "no". It seems that only post-2016 Denon owners have reliably had success within the UB820's Netflix app. Here's another question for you, one that I haven't previously asked: if your Movies Anywhere account is linked to Amazon Video, were you able to get Dolby Atmos in the Amazon app from the UB820???
Unfortunately Movies Anywhere doesn’t work in Canada. Flixster is still working, but I’m not sure what’s the long term solution for purchased movies.
post #4213 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
UB820 vs. UBK90 on LG OLED - (and whether HDR Optimization matters on LG OLED)

Previously, on Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrewmination View Post
I purchased an LG UBK90 last week to accompany my LG OLED65B7P. After putting in a Man of Steel 1080p bluray, I was very dissatisfied with the upscaling... I’ve also learned about the UBD820’s tone-mapping capabilities and am curious if I’d see diminishing returns/competing interests in that regard when coupled with the LG OLEDs capabilities for the price.
So, having about six days to return the UBK90, I’ve ordered the UBD820 to compare the two (almost) side-by-side. I will compare upscaling and dynamic range/PQ of the two. The only 4K DVDs I own thus far are “Into the Spiderverse” and “Dynasties.” I will likely borrow a friend’s copy of “Into the Spiderverse” for direct comparison.
See results of said test here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Be sure to try a few titles.
Be sure to try different TV Types (you’ll probably stick to OLED, but just try it) and definitely test the HDR Optimizer & the Dynamic Range Adjustment slider. (Options remote button during playback).

SDR2020 and/or Optimizer and/or Dynamic Range Adjustment and/or Tone Mapping (TV Type) are the only reasons to own a UB820 so play with them all.
Yesterday was the final day to return my UB820.
I've spent as much time as possible (not nearly as much as I'd like) over two nights doing a comparative analysis of both players using Mad Max Fury Road, during the storm scene at around the 28 minute mark (esp. 28:27-28:38).
I will say that spending so much time scrutinizing this movie frame-by-frame leaves me immensely impressed with the level of detail that went into this movie. I dare say, you miss quite a bit by NOT viewing it frame-by-frame (at least in the storm scene)... though I don't expect anyone to take the time to do that.
I did not change the display-type settings on the UB820, but cycled through the HD Optimizer's sliding scale for comparison. I found that when I slid the HD Optimizer below the base-setting, the blacks would begin to darken as well... if only with a very slight gradation.
I messed with the UBK90 settings as well, finding that the "Movie" setting (I think it's called) had the most similar effect to the HDR Optimization the UB820 was performing. I was using the 28:27 mark (car explosion with a man hanging from the front of the car, in the air of the storm) and having a very hard time telling the difference in a substancial way.
That is, until I forwarded, frame-by-frame to around the 28:38 (??) mark. A truck was exploding and the explosion was beginning to engulf another man. I examined a black/dark grey/brown, sandy storm wind/cloud, portion of the same scene near the right edge of the screen and noticed that the UBK90 (on cinema settion) was slightly crushing the blacks where the UB820 was not.
Then, kind-of the dealbreaker, the silhouette of the front of the truck (also being engulfed) was visible in the explosion in red. On the UB820, there were around four distinct shades of red, while on the UBK90 there was only around one, maybe two.
The sound also seem clearer, a bit brighter, on the UB820.
The next day, yesterday, right after work, I took both players back and anguished back and forth over which one to return in the Best Buy parking lot for a minute or two. I even began to take the UB820 into the store.
The dog was confused.
I took back the UBK90. They did indeed take it back, even though the time to return the UBK90 had expired, after explaining I was keeping the more expensive product after testing them. Note: Their return limit exemption policy seems pretty liberal. Halfway through explaining it, I asked the girl behind the counter if she needed to hear this (my lengthy explanation). She replied, "You can go ahead and tell me," like she just wanted to know, you know, personally.
I'm still uncertain the difference in the pictures warrants the cost, and am not ENTIRELY certain it will be noticeable most of the time. But, the fact remains that I know there is a difference... and I did see it.
That, coupled with the annoyance of UBK90 turning on seemingly at random and hijacking my AVR.
I wish I would have had time to do even more testing. But with what little testing I did, I can only conlude that it was a sample portion indicative of other notable variances I would have come across within different scenes, titles, ranges/gradiants, etc.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your help.
monkaquinas likes this.

ATMOS 5.1.4 - KEF Q700 - Q600C - Q100 - KEF Ci160CL(x4-in-ceiling) - Rythmik FV15HP - Marantz SR7012 - LG OLED65B7P - Panasonic DP-UB820 - Roku Ultra

Last edited by ibrewmination; 04-26-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #4214 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1819
@docrog , I have an Denon X4200 and had Atmos displayed in Netflix while watching the Triple Frontier I think it was called. I will try to validate more tonight/this weekend.
post #4215 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1423 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
I just moved to the UB820 to use with my RS400. I have Custom Curves on my JVC for HDR, and while they're decent, they're not ideal, and then there is still the disc to disc variation. My thinking is that I could get more consistent results with the UB820.

I have not rigorously compared HDR (using my custom curve) vs SDR-2020 (using Gamma 2.4) output to my Projector, but my initial impressions were that there wasn't an obvious difference, with the edge going perhaps towards HDR.

I am now interested in using the Masciola UHD patterns to tweak my Projector settings for greater accuracy. There are obviously a number of settings that can be chosen within the UB820 that would likely impact these adjustments.

Is there a defined protocol of sorts for how to correctly set up the UB-820 for optimal results with the Masciola Disc?
Which patterns would be used, and which adjustments need to be made - mainly brightness and contrast setting, or others as well?

Any information or links appreciated.
Please keep us informed in here or the RS400 thread with how this progresses.
DLCPhoto likes this.
post #4216 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Love it.
Quote:
The next day, yesterday, right after work, I took both players back and anguishly went back and forth over which one to return while outside of the store.
I took back the UBK90.
Love it.
Quote:
They did indeed take it back after explaining I was keeping the more expensive product.
Knew it.
Quote:
I'm glad it worked out. Even I'd be hesitant if I was splitting hairs to see a difference. For my and my projector though, the difference was immediate. For what it's worth, you made the right call. Keep dialing in those settings!
post #4217 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1839 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:

See results of said test here.

Yesterday was the final day to return my UB820.
I've spent as much time as possible (not nearly as much as I'd like) over two nights doing a comparative analysis of both players using Mad Max Fury Road, during the storm scene at around the 28 minute mark (esp. 28:27-28:38).
I will say that spending so much time scrutinizing this movie frame-by-frame leaves me immensely impressed with the level of detail that went into this movie. I dare say, you miss quite a bit by NOT viewing it frame-by-frame (at least in the storm scene)... though I don't expect anyone to take the time to do that.
I did not change the display-type settings on the UB820, but cycled through the HD Optimizer's sliding scale for comparison. I found that when I slid the HD Optimizer below the base-setting, the blacks would begin to darken as well... if only with a very slight gradation.
I messed with the UBK90 settings as well, finding that the "Movie" setting (I think it's called) had the most similar effect to the HDR Optimization the UB820 was performing. I was using the 28:27 mark (car explosion with a man hanging from the front of the car, in the air of the storm) and having a very hard time telling the difference in a substancial way.
That is, until I forwarded, frame-by-frame to around the 28:38 (??) mark. A truck was exploding and the explosion was beginning to engulf another man. I examined a black/dark grey/brown, sandy storm wind/cloud, portion of the same scene near the right edge of the screen and noticed that the UBK90 (on cinema settion) was slightly crushing the blacks where the UB820 was not.
Then, kind-of the dealbreaker, the silhouette of the front of the truck (also being engulfed) was visible in the explosion in red. On the UB820, there were around four distinct shades of red, while on the UBK90 there was only around one, maybe two.
The sound also seem clearer, a bit brighter, on the UB820.
The next day, yesterday, right after work, I took both players back and anguished back and forth over which one to return in the Best Buy parking lot for a minute or two. I even began to take the UB820 into the store.
The dog was confused.
I took back the UBK90. They did indeed take it back, even though the time to return the UBK90 had expired, after explaining I was keeping the more expensive product after testing them. Note: Their return limit exemption policy seems pretty liberal. Halfway through explaining it, I asked the girl behind the counter if she needed to hear this (my lengthy explanation). She replied, "You can go ahead and tell me," like she just wanted to know, you know, personally.
I'm still uncertain the difference in the pictures warrants the cost, and am not ENTIRELY certain it will be noticeable most of the time. But, the fact remains that I know there is a difference... and I did see it.
That, coupled with the annoyance of UBK90 turning on seemingly at random and hijacking my AVR.
I wish I would have had time to do even more testing. But with what little testing I did, I can only conlude that it was a sample portion indicative of other notable variances I would have come across within different scenes, titles, ranges/gradiants, etc.

Thanks for the detailed update...I have a 1000 nit Sony tv and in the big fiery/fireball scenes towards the end of Batman vs Superman (4000 nit title) I found the HD optimizer made highlights worse as it softened the explosions and didn’t help the blown areas at all...I’m still keeping the 820 but won’t use its tone mapping as I like the Sony tone mapping better...I also ordered the panny ub900 backlit remote as it works with the 820...
ibrewmination likes this.

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve Tab Tensioned Electric

Last edited by asharma; 04-26-2019 at 04:16 PM.
post #4218 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Thanks for the detailed update...I have a 1000 nit Sony tv and in the big fiery/fireball scenes towards the end of Batman vs Superman (4000 nit title) I found the HD optimizer made highlights worse as it softened the explosions and didn’t help the blown areas at all...I’m still keeping the 820 but won’t use its tone mapping as I like the Sony tone mapping better...I also ordered the panny ub900 backlit remote as it works with the 820...
Good to know re: the remote. I'm not putting any more money into this. If I get another remote I will be replacing the Harmony 650 that came with the UBK90 I bought, that I gave back with it.
I should note, that I conducted all tests with the LG OLED65B7Ps tone-mapping turned off and turned on. From what I understand, the LGs TM is dynamic (i.e. scene-by-scene) whereas the UB820's is static.
The scenes tested retained the greatest amount of detail and had the least amount of clipping with the LG's TM "On" and the UB820's HDR Optimization "On" and the sliding-bar set in the middle.
Comparitavely, the settings were adjusted as closely as possible (with eye-calibration ) on the LG UBK90 Player as well (i.e. with/without t.v.'s TM "on" and switching <more limited> display settings on the UBK90 (i.e. "movie," "vivid," "user," etc.). The LG UBK90 had the least amount of clipping with the LG t.v.'s TM "On" and the UBK90 set to "movie".
I will post these results on the UBK90's owner thread as well.
asharma likes this.

ATMOS 5.1.4 - KEF Q700 - Q600C - Q100 - KEF Ci160CL(x4-in-ceiling) - Rythmik FV15HP - Marantz SR7012 - LG OLED65B7P - Panasonic DP-UB820 - Roku Ultra
post #4219 of 5925 Old 04-26-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
I do not believe the Netflix app reads the metadata and sets the tone mapping accordingly (at least it does not display the metadata, the way it does for UHD discs). Also, i was not able to make it play video at 24Hz, even with the 24Hz option selected. My projector also resyncs much more frequently when using the UB820, compared with the ATV 4K.
The Optimizer is utilized for Netflix. With the UB820 in HDR mode and HDR Display Type set to Projector, my HDfury Vertex reports that the metadata values have been altered such that they always fall below 500 nits.

I just think the UB820 does not report metadata values for streaming Apps.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #4220 of 5925 Old 04-27-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quick question:

Finally got a Atmos capable receiver and I am using HDMI 2 for audio out because video goes to my Epson LS10000 with a Linker. Is it normal that when pressing INFO it says TrueHD 7.1 audio although the soundtrack selection and the receiver say ATMOS?

TIA
post #4221 of 5925 Old 04-27-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Only downside of the UB900 remote is it's missing the HDR button I believe. You can still access it by menus but the HDR button with a long press is the easiest way to get to the Optimizer settings.

Clark
post #4222 of 5925 Old 04-27-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Only downside of the UB900 remote is it's missing the HDR button I believe. You can still access it by menus but the HDR button with a long press is the easiest way to get to the Optimizer settings.
Thanks for the info...turns out the Company I ordered it from had to cancel the order...the next cheapest price for the remote is $100...I think I’ll sit tight...

post #4223 of 5925 Old 04-27-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
Thanks for the info...turns out the Company I ordered it from had to cancel the order...the next cheapest price for the remote is $100...I think I’ll sit tight...
I ordered and received a UB9000 remote (not UB900) from a shop in Spain. With shipping charges to US and no VAT charged (VAT charges removed when shipping address/payment method provided and a commercial invoice is not requested), it came to just under $80 when converted to USD. Arrived 18 days after order placed.

Mandis Shop - Original Remote Control Panasonic UB9000 N2QAYA000172

Photo of UB820 remote vs the UB9000 remote I received:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	2559010  
asharma likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 04-27-2019 at 10:09 AM.
post #4224 of 5925 Old 04-27-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I ordered and received a UB9000 remote (not UB900) from a shop in Spain.
Why though? Don't most of us have a Harmony or similar anyhow? Also, are the UB900 & UB9000 remote different? Without side-by-side comparison, that looks just like my old UB900 remote.
post #4225 of 5925 Old 04-27-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why though? Don't most of us have a Harmony or similar anyhow? Also, are the UB900 & UB9000 remote different? Without side-by-side comparison, that looks just like my old UB900 remote.
Many of us don’t like the Harmony’s for a variety of reasons...the 820 remote is laid out poorly as I keep hitting the Netflix button by mistake in the dark...Ten’s of thousands of dollars into my HT it seems foolish to me to have to pick up my pocket flashlight every time I want to use the 820 remote...
Jive Turkey and ti-triodes like this.

post #4226 of 5925 Old 04-27-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Many of us don’t like the Harmony’s for a variety of reasons...the 820 remote is laid out poorly as I keep hitting the Netflix button by mistake in the dark...Ten’s of thousands of dollars into my HT it seems foolish to me to have to pick up my pocket flashlight every time I want to use the 820 remote...
I haven’t ever used my UB820 remote. Configured properly, the Harmony Elite does everything and I don’t have 4+ remotes sitting out. I also had to use it for RF since all my gear is in another room. My theater room only has a screen, speakers, subwoofers...and one remote.
MOberhardt and vollans like this.
post #4227 of 5925 Old 04-27-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven’t ever used my UB820 remote. Configured properly, the Harmony Elite does everything and I don’t have 4+ remotes sitting out. I also had to use it for RF since all my gear is in another room. My theater room only has a screen, speakers, subwoofers...and one remote.
TBH, I’ve never minded a few remotes beside me...my important remotes are all backlit...there are several buttons on the 820 that I want to use, so backlit is the best way for me to go for the 820
Jive Turkey likes this.

post #4228 of 5925 Old 04-27-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post

You can also access it via the option button.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #4229 of 5925 Old 04-27-2019, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
I apologize in advance if this has been covered before but is there a way to stream my 3D Vudu content on this player? I recently switched from a Sony player which supports Vudu.

Thanks
Unfortunately not! This is REALLY frustrating for me! There are only a handful of
useful apps (Amazon, Netflix, Youtube) but even the Amazon app on this player
is awful (studders and skips frames like crazy).

The other apps are a complete waste of time.

I'm hopeful that an update will change this one day soon...but I seriously doubt it.

If they haven't fixed Amazon Prime app by now, I don't really think they care too much about adding other useful apps their customers might appreciate.

That is really my only complaint with the player. But it's frustrating...
post #4230 of 5925 Old 04-27-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
Unfortunately not! This is REALLY frustrating for me! There are only a handful of
useful apps (Amazon, Netflix, Youtube) but even the Amazon app on this player
is awful (studders and skips frames like crazy).

The other apps are a complete waste of time.

I'm hopeful that an update will change this one day soon...but I seriously doubt it.

If they haven't fixed Amazon Prime app by now, I don't really think they care too much about adding other useful apps their customers might appreciate.

That is really my only complaint with the player. But it's frustrating...
I'd be surprised if the 820 did not receive more firmware updates addressing Network Services and disc playability issues.

The 900 seems abandoned by Panasonic for more firmware updates, though thankfully, mine plays Network Services (incl. N and APV) beautifully. Knock on plastic and metal.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page