Originally Posted by claw
We discussed this in the HDfury Vertex thread last August. The UB820 in SDR/BT2020 output mode with the Optimiser turned ON is sending output as EOTF1 with HDR metadata if the attached display supports HDR.
EOTF2 is PQ HDR and is what all players send for HDR10 output.
EOTF3 is HLG HDR.
EOTF1 is not clearly defined anywhere that I can find. EOTF1+metadata must be triggering the JVC to report HDR on the Information screen, but it does not trigger the automatic selection of Gamma D; only PQ HDR does that.
With the lastest UB820 firmware update you can see the metadata values duplicated from content to output by pressing the Info button on the remote twice.
If you leave the UB820 in SDR/BT2020 mode but turn the Optimiser OFF, the output is not flagged as EOTF1 and no metadata is sent.
Greetings claw. Hate to ask another EOTF question, but as you're one of the handful who has a good grip on the subject matter, so here it is.
1. What does your JVC on auto setting report when the UB820 is set to SDR/BT2020/Optimiser On? What's the default transfer function used to display the content?
2. Same quesiton with the Optimiser Off.
3. Did you have a chance to use the UB820 on a different display device, and did you observe similar behavior?
4. Would you know if these EOFT values 1,2,3 are standard codes used in player/display handshaking? Do you see them on the HDfury when connected to other players such as the Sony?
5. If not, what are the flags used?
6. The latest 1.55 firmware has added Gama adjustment function. Appreciate if you could kindly explain how this is to be used.
7. What does the Display option in the Picture Settings Menu do?
Many thanks and best regards,