Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4966Likes

post #4231 of 5769 Old 04-27-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
Quick question:

Finally got a Atmos capable receiver and I am using HDMI 2 for audio out because video goes to my Epson LS10000 with a Linker. Is it normal that when pressing INFO it says TrueHD 7.1 audio although the soundtrack selection and the receiver say ATMOS?

TIA

Yes it’s normal but the front display of your AVR should read Dolby Atmos. The info panel will show either Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nima likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 5769 Old 04-27-2019, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
Quick question:

Finally got a Atmos capable receiver and I am using HDMI 2 for audio out because video goes to my Epson LS10000 with a Linker. Is it normal that when pressing INFO it says TrueHD 7.1 audio although the soundtrack selection and the receiver say ATMOS?

TIA
Yes, I can’t account for all receivers, however, mine as well as most will only display TrueHD 7.1 in playback info whereas Atmos will be visibly displayed on the receiver/soundtrack. This is because Dolby Atmos is an extension of Dolby TrueHD and is an upmix. As long as you’re seeing Dolby Atmos with your receiver along with the TrueHD 7.1 under info then you are getting Dolby Atmos.
Nima and monkaquinas like this.
post #4233 of 5769 Old 04-27-2019, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3146 Post(s)
Liked: 2058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I haven’t ever used my UB820 remote. Configured properly, the Harmony Elite does everything and I don’t have 4+ remotes sitting out. I also had to use it for RF since all my gear is in another room. My theater room only has a screen, speakers, subwoofers...and one remote.

Simple control for me because most of my gear bar the panny runs on IP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4234 of 5769 Old 04-28-2019, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
I'd be surprised if the 820 did not receive more firmware updates addressing Network Services and disc playability issues.

The 900 seems abandoned by Panasonic for more firmware updates, though thankfully, mine plays Network Services (incl. N and APV) beautifully. Knock on plastic and metal.
One can only hope...

It doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy that they still haven't fixed Prime after a number of updates. Imo, there's no excuse for that.
post #4235 of 5769 Old 04-28-2019, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Huge investment now unhappy

I just brought home the DP-UB820 and connected to my older Yamaha RX-V1075 that is 4K/HD compatible and seems compatible with more audio formats. I expected some video issues with my new Epson 5040UB as this projector cannot run a lot of 4K formats due to board limitations of 10mbps. However the video appears perfectly fine but the sound keeps cutting on and off. It is clear my receiver is struggling somehow as the speaker diagram on the front panel keeps going on and off with the sound. I have high-speed HDMI cable from the DP-UB820 direct to the receiver and then from receiver to projector so there should be no component interfering with the audio. I notice no picture issues while the sound is acting up. Sound only does this with Blu-ray, but not with DVD's. Clearly there is some format or data issue, can anyone shed light on this phenomenon? I've played with every setting I can understand on both the receiver and the BR player. Also tried switching cables.
post #4236 of 5769 Old 04-28-2019, 10:44 AM

DP-UB820 Sound problems - help!

I just brought home the DP-UB820 and connected to my older Yamaha RX-V1075 that is 4K/HD compatible and seems compatible with more audio formats. I expected some video issues with my new Epson 5040UB as this projector cannot run a lot of 4K formats due to board limitations of 10mbps. However the video appears perfectly fine but the sound keeps cutting on and off. It is clear my receiver is struggling somehow as the speaker diagram on the front panel keeps going on and off with the sound. I have high-speed HDMI cable from the DP-UB820 direct to the receiver and then from receiver to projector so there should be no component interfering with the audio. I notice no picture issues while the sound is acting up. Sound only does this with Blu-ray, but not with DVD's. Clearly there is some format or data issue, can anyone shed light on this phenomenon? I've played with every setting I can understand on both the receiver and the BR player. Also tried switching cables.
post #4237 of 5769 Old 04-28-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosphoto View Post
Please provide the settings you are using on the blu ray player and also what is being displayed on the Yamaha. Is your blu ray player configured to bitstream?
post #4238 of 5769 Old 04-28-2019, 11:27 AM

Yes currently I placed everything pretty much back to default - which includes bitstream. I had experimented with both settings I understood and some I didn't. The yamaha receivers have a little speaker diagram on the front panel, it is clear to see that the diagram switches on and off with the sound cutting in and out. So the sound does work, but the receiver looses it for just a split second and fixes itself for another 10 or so seconds when it does the same thing over and over.
post #4239 of 5769 Old 04-28-2019, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
when pressing the PLAYBACK INFO button on the remote control, the player seems to show incorrect video bitrate readings in the Playback Information Window, roughly around 10 Mb/s less than the actual encoding is supposed to be. This happens during regular Blu-ray discs playback, tried random titles, all show similar deviation.

I tried to investigate this with BDinfo on my PC drive. Clueless (1995) for example: the live reading sits throughout the whole movie around 27-28 Mb/s, with occasional peaks up to 30 Mb/s. Doing a bitrate scan with BDInfo shows bitrate of 40 Mb/s right from the start without any significant drops below 35 Mb/s. Average of 38.9 Mb/s corresponds exactly with user contributed value of 38.96 Mb/s on Blu-ray.com. I'm aware the average is not the same as live, even so, I'm still not entirely convinced the measured values are remotely correct.

I suspect one of the recent firmware updates might have affected this, hadn't payed much attention to it before. Can someone verify this, is this a known bug or something? It's not a big deal, but since the player has this function, it should work properly with correct readings, otherwise it's useless.

I'm on the latest 1.55 firmware, using THX certified HDMI 2.0b Pixelgen/PXLDRIVE cables. I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with my setup.

If this has already been previously discussed, please feel free to just point me in the appropriate topic/thread.

Any feedback appreciated!
post #4240 of 5769 Old 04-28-2019, 11:56 AM

Hold-on! Got it, some weirdness with cables between the receiver and the player! Both cables labelled high speed, one from a source I don't remember and the other from a cheap android box. I made a 3rd attempt with a princess auto cheapie I had lying around and as far as I can tell - no failures at the moment. For now I'll put this post on ice until I can figure out if there are further issues.

Any setup information you can recommend between a Panasonic DP-UB820 to Yamaha RX-V1075 to Epson 5040UB would be greatly appreciated. Right now I have the projector on SDR/cinema/Medium bulb and I can hardly see Denzel washingtons face in a movie. It's not the disk player, I've really been struggling with this epson since I took it out of the box. Tried everything, only seems bright enough on "bright cinema" setting which should not be the case in a pitch black theater. I have a thread on this as well.
post #4241 of 5769 Old 04-28-2019, 12:51 PM

And one other question: experimenting more between my oppo dvd (which upconverts to 720p) and the panasonic (which is presently upconverting to 4k sdr) I find the overall viewing experience a little nicer while watching Lord of the Rings DVD with the Panasonic 820 (yes - DVD disk not bluray). The Panasonic seems a little sharper, better dynamic range. However, during certain scenes (appears more-so darker scenes) I find the Panasonics picture has significantly more digital noise than the Oppo DVD player. What do you suppose the reasons for this is?

Quality of the players electronics? (Oppo known as insanely high quality although Panasonic supposedly comparable)

Byproduct of more aggressive upconversion in the BR vs the DVD player? (Oppo converts 480-720 vs Panasonic 480-4k)
Settings? (Oppo has very few, Panasonic very complicated)

Should I turn off 4K playback with the Panasonic under certain conditions like when watching DVD's?
post #4242 of 5769 Old 04-29-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Don’t know why it’s doing that, but I can confirm the UB820 outputting Dolby Atmos when streaming Altered Carbon on Netflix.
Are you running the current firmware version for the UB820? One poster on this thread previously indicated that Atmos was no longer available after updating to v1.55.
post #4243 of 5769 Old 04-29-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@claw , you previously posted screen shots showing that your Denon 6400 received Dolby Atmos from the UB820's Netflix app. If you've updated to the current firmware version (v1.55), are you still able to receive Atmos with your Denon/UB820 configuration? BTW, it's interesting that whenever I first go to " Internet" on my UB820, a notification comes up indicating that there is going to be updating by Panasonic in mid-May. I'm hoping that a fix for Amazon Video stuttering and the ability for older Yamaha AVR series to get Atmos will be among the fixes being implemented.
Panson likes this.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
post #4244 of 5769 Old 04-29-2019, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_stuff View Post
when pressing the PLAYBACK INFO button on the remote control, the player seems to show incorrect video bitrate readings in the Playback Information Window, roughly around 10 Mb/s less than the actual encoding is supposed to be. This happens during regular Blu-ray discs playback, tried random titles, all show similar deviation.

this is a bug, same thing happen with the flagship UB9000. The bug is there from release and no firmware update corrected the wrong behavior yet. Let's hope in the future they will.
post #4245 of 5769 Old 04-29-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 4738 Post(s)
Liked: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Are you running the current firmware version for the UB820? One poster on this thread previously indicated that Atmos was no longer available after updating to v1.55.
I was running v1.55, which I believe is the version that displays the metadata. (I don’t have the UB820 to check it any more).
post #4246 of 5769 Old 04-29-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosphoto View Post
Hold-on! Got it, some weirdness with cables between the receiver and the player! Both cables labelled high speed, one from a source I don't remember and the other from a cheap android box. I made a 3rd attempt with a princess auto cheapie I had lying around and as far as I can tell - no failures at the moment. For now I'll put this post on ice until I can figure out if there are further issues.

Any setup information you can recommend between a Panasonic DP-UB820 to Yamaha RX-V1075 to Epson 5040UB would be greatly appreciated. Right now I have the projector on SDR/cinema/Medium bulb and I can hardly see Denzel washingtons face in a movie. It's not the disk player, I've really been struggling with this epson since I took it out of the box. Tried everything, only seems bright enough on "bright cinema" setting which should not be the case in a pitch black theater. I have a thread on this as well.
I don't have the Yamaha but with the Epson, I'm pretty happy with the picture that the 820 is producing. Obviously you may not be impressed, but my settings are below:

Panny
Output HDR2020
TV type set to Projector
HDR Optimizer set between 4 to 8, depending on viewing conditions and movie

Epson
Natural Mode
Super White Off
Dynamic Range set to Auto Bright
High lamp
I'm using a custom gamma created by another member, LMK if you'd like to know it.

*I've also experimented with the Panny on SDR2020, but I don't see much of a difference, if any. I decided to just leave it at HDR2020 so I can use the Optimizer for Netflix.
Mr.G likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Hsu VTF-15H MK2
Ascend Acoustics 340 & 170
Denon X2300W
Panasonic UB820 + Nvidia Shield + Apple TV 4K
post #4247 of 5769 Old 04-29-2019, 10:38 AM

The receiver is set for pass-thru so it shouldn't have any effect really. Thank you for your input, I will fiddle tonight when I get home. Any information you can send me regarding setup of either DP or PJ would be incredibly appreciated. Gamma is well beyond my present skills to fully comprehend - I only got as far as using Avia2 DVD up until the advanced tuning stuff which didn't have a walkthru guidance. All I know is I'm ready to return the PJ and put my old Panasonic PTAX100 back on the ceiling - and I shouldn't have to!
post #4248 of 5769 Old 04-29-2019, 10:44 AM

An addition word until then, I found the projector too dark to put it on anything other than SDR. Natural mode is definitely brighter than the Cinema mode I usually try to use but I do sort of like the colours of Cinema. Because the darkness and subsequent lack of detail in the picture, I have settled for Bright Cinema for now. Seems there is a large following for Natural mode though, my eyes are not awesome for colour so I have to double check with my wifes! Could the default gamma setting be causing a problem with the excessive darkness on low light subject matter?
post #4249 of 5769 Old 04-29-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Quote:
@claw , you previously posted screen shots showing that your Denon 6400 received Dolby Atmos from the UB820's Netflix app. If you've updated to the current firmware version (v1.55), are you still able to receive Atmos with your Denon/UB820 configuration? BTW, it's interesting that whenever I first go to " Internet" on my UB820, a notification comes up indicating that there is going to be updating by Panasonic in mid-May. I'm hoping that a fix for Amazon Video stuttering and the ability for older Yamaha AVR series to get Atmos will be among the fixes being implemented.
I'm getting same or similar with my UB900. Panasonic Network Services maintenance May 13 to May 14. I suspect via web-searching, it's maintenance for Panasonic servers. All will be revealed, good or bad.

Maybe related:

https://www.myce.com/news/panasonic-...servers-77659/

https://www.myce.com/news/panasonic-...-outage-78795/

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #4250 of 5769 Old 04-29-2019, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhack13 View Post
Need help deciding between the UBK90 and the more expensive UB820. It will be matching with an LG C9 and SL10Y soundbar of the same family. Any suggestions helpful, cheers!
Hi,

In fairness these two players cant be compared and its not even close. If you are looking for quality its the 820 and if budget is a concern then probably the other one.
post #4251 of 5769 Old 04-29-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
Quote:
@claw , you previously posted screen shots showing that your Denon 6400 received Dolby Atmos from the UB820's Netflix app. If you've updated to the current firmware version (v1.55), are you still able to receive Atmos with your Denon/UB820 configuration?
Yes. With the 1.55 firmware there has been no change. Still getting Atmos from Netflix. On the other hand, I have never received Atmos from Amazon.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 04-29-2019 at 08:42 PM.
post #4252 of 5769 Old 04-29-2019, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is everyone happy with this player, what would be the next alternative sans the Oppo?
post #4253 of 5769 Old 04-29-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Yes. With the 1.55 firmware there has been no change. Still getting Atmos from Netflix. On the other hand, I have never received Atmos from Amazon.
Thanks for that update! Despite having read reports that the Yamaha RX-A3080 was capable of Netflix Atmos from the UB820, I had a friend bring over his RX-A1080 and I still only got DD 5.1. Since I can't find any RX-A3080 to buy that I could return (even for a restocking fee) if I can't get Netflix Atmos, it looks like I'll be purchasing either a Denon 6400 or 6500 as soon as I see whether the Panasonic internet app "fix" in mid-May allows my current AVR to do Atmos with either/both Netflix and Amazon. Really frustrating!!
post #4254 of 5769 Old 04-29-2019, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 428
BTW, does anyone know if there is a Region A version of this unit with either universal PSU or 220/240V? Like Hong Kong possibly?
post #4255 of 5769 Old 04-30-2019, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
We discussed this in the HDfury Vertex thread last August. The UB820 in SDR/BT2020 output mode with the Optimiser turned ON is sending output as EOTF1 with HDR metadata if the attached display supports HDR.

EOTF2 is PQ HDR and is what all players send for HDR10 output.
EOTF3 is HLG HDR.

EOTF1 is not clearly defined anywhere that I can find. EOTF1+metadata must be triggering the JVC to report HDR on the Information screen, but it does not trigger the automatic selection of Gamma D; only PQ HDR does that.

With the lastest UB820 firmware update you can see the metadata values duplicated from content to output by pressing the Info button on the remote twice.

If you leave the UB820 in SDR/BT2020 mode but turn the Optimiser OFF, the output is not flagged as EOTF1 and no metadata is sent.

Greetings claw. Hate to ask another EOTF question, but as you're one of the handful who has a good grip on the subject matter, so here it is.

1. What does your JVC on auto setting report when the UB820 is set to SDR/BT2020/Optimiser On? What's the default transfer function used to display the content?
2. Same quesiton with the Optimiser Off.
3. Did you have a chance to use the UB820 on a different display device, and did you observe similar behavior?
4. Would you know if these EOFT values 1,2,3 are standard codes used in player/display handshaking? Do you see them on the HDfury when connected to other players such as the Sony?
5. If not, what are the flags used?

6. The latest 1.55 firmware has added Gama adjustment function. Appreciate if you could kindly explain how this is to be used.
7. What does the Display option in the Picture Settings Menu do?

Many thanks and best regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_gama.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	610.8 KB
ID:	2560384   Click image for larger version

Name:	_projector.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	570.8 KB
ID:	2560386  
post #4256 of 5769 Old 04-30-2019, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Greetings claw. Hate to ask another EOTF question, but as you're one of the handful who has a good grip on the subject matter, so here it is.

1. What does your JVC on auto setting report when the UB820 is set to SDR/BT2020/Optimiser On? What's the default transfer function used to display the content?
3. Did you have a chance to use the UB820 on a different display device, and did you observe similar behavior?
4. Would you know if these EOFT values 1,2,3 are standard codes used in player/display handshaking? Do you see them on the HDfury when connected to other players such as the Sony?

6. The latest 1.55 firmware has added Gama adjustment function. Appreciate if you could kindly explain how this is to be used.

Is the second attached thumbnail referred to 824 model or 900 model ?
thnaks
post #4257 of 5769 Old 04-30-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post

If you want to learn about EOTF (Electro-Optical Transfer Function) I suggest you start with Google.

I wasn't trying to describe how EOTF is used in my post, I was only describing how the UB820 includes HDR metadata with an EOTF value even when outputting SDR BT2020. In this case EOTF1. The EOTF indicator is one of many fields in the HDR metadata.

It only does this in SDR/BT2020 mode if:

- UB820 is in SDR/BT2020 mode with the Optimizer turned ON.
- UB820 is connected to a HDR capable display device.

Otherwise, the SDR/BT2020 output does not contain HDR metadata so no EOTF value.

I expect that most displays will ignore the the EOTF1 indicator in the HDR metadata as they are looking for EOTF2 (PQ HDR) or EOTF3 (HLG) values. My JVC projector reports that it is receiving HDR but does not perform any other HDR related functions since it only does so when it receives an EOTF2 value in the content metadata (PQ HDR).

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 04-30-2019 at 09:14 AM.
post #4258 of 5769 Old 04-30-2019, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
BTW, does anyone know if there is a Region A version of this unit with either universal PSU or 220/240V? Like Hong Kong possibly?
Probably best to just get a step-down transformer. Just a small one since the wattage is below 50W. I'm currently using the UB420 (220V only) in the USA with a 110->220 transformer and it works fine. I was thinking about plugging it into 110 to see if it worked but a transformer is only like $10 and didn't want to risk frying my unit.
MOberhardt and bigzee3 like this.
post #4259 of 5769 Old 04-30-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzovich View Post
Probably best to just get a step-down transformer. Just a small one since the wattage is below 50W. I'm currently using the UB420 (220V only) in the USA with a 110->220 transformer and it works fine. I was thinking about plugging it into 110 to see if it worked but a transformer is only like $10 and didn't want to risk frying my unit.
Thanks. Yeah, it is annoying. I wonder how hard it would be to swap the PSU in it. I actually have my old ub900, so I wonder if I could put it in a US 820.

I just find it hard to go back to my oppo 103 for region A playback. Aside from it's sluggishness, not having subtitle luminance is hard to go back to!

If anyone has online links to pics of the inside of the 820 I'd appreciate it. I've found plenty for the 9000.

OK, I found some, at least the EU820 vs the eu 9000 and the power boards are quite a lot different. I'll see if I can find some US 820 interiors.

Last edited by MOberhardt; 04-30-2019 at 03:28 PM.
post #4260 of 5769 Old 04-30-2019, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quick reminder for me.

Using the JVC NX7 and the UB820. The UB820 has a basic luminence or projector setting which adjusts things to 500 nits. The 9000 has two projector settings high luminence which adjusts to 500 nits and basic luminence which adjusts down to 350 nits.

So for the NX7 and UB820 magical synergy, following the rest of the JVC instructions, since the UB820 only has on projector luminence setting, should you use the Pana_PQ_BL or Pana_PQ_HL color profile on the JVC ? One definitely looks a little brighter than the other.

I assume you use the HL color profile on the JVC using the UB820 as that is tone mapping to 500 nits.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by SoonerDoc; 04-30-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page