Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4828Likes

Old 05-08-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaquinas View Post
I cleared the BD Data, under the 820 Settings, and voila...no issues. Might be worth a shot.
I only see a menu option related to USB.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
I only see a menu option related to USB.

Yeah, where is this setting located?
Old 05-08-2019, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Only one minor issue - you need to reprogram / learn the Subtitle function.

Wait. Is there a way to learn or reprogram subtitle with the harmony elite and panny 820? Asked this before without an answer. I’ve programmed a macro to bring up the subtitle choice with 4 or 5 commands. Would love a single command that went straight to subtitle selection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
Wait. Is there a way to learn or reprogram subtitle with the harmony elite and panny 820? Asked this before without an answer. I’ve programmed a macro to bring up the subtitle choice with 4 or 5 commands. Would love a single command that went straight to subtitle selection.
Yeah, I went to the harmony app and did fix command for the subtitle function, then when I went it told me to, so it could learn, I had to pull out the panasonic remote and point it at the hub until it learnt it. It works fine now. I can just hold the button and the subtitle options shows up.

I had to go through the same on my older Pana 900, the older model.

Remember on the panasonic remote, short press to bring up the the popup subtitle selection, and long press to bring up the options. What I've done works for the options screen.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkoo22 View Post
I am on the verge of purchasing the Panny 820. I use a Harmony Elite. Just checking if any owners of the Elite and 820 have experienced issues in general?
None.

Works great.

Video: Dedicated Light Controlled Room | JVC NX5 | 100" AT Silver Ticket 1.1 gain Screen
Audio: Sound Controlled Room | Denon X4500h running 5.1.4 | LR/Atmos - Pioneer SP-EFS73, Center - Pioneer SP-EC73, Rear/Atmos - Pioneer SP-EBS73-LR, Sub - SVS PC-2000
Sources: Nvidia Shield | Panasonic UB-820
Old 05-09-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandlj View Post
do you recommend the elite?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
100%
Dandlj likes this.

Video: Dedicated Light Controlled Room | JVC NX5 | 100" AT Silver Ticket 1.1 gain Screen
Audio: Sound Controlled Room | Denon X4500h running 5.1.4 | LR/Atmos - Pioneer SP-EFS73, Center - Pioneer SP-EC73, Rear/Atmos - Pioneer SP-EBS73-LR, Sub - SVS PC-2000
Old 05-09-2019, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Putting together my first real movie theater and would appreciate the forum wisdom. Got a new Sony vw285es and using a hand me down Stewart Greyhawk 110' screen. Trying to figure out what to do for my source as our old Samsung Blue Ray player won't cut it. After lots of research it seems that the Panasonic UB-820 is the lead contender. I would have loved to buy an Oppo but I am concerned about upgrades and support moving forward. We don't use SACD and DVD-A so those are not concerns. We have a lot of blue Rays and regular DVDs so upscaling performance is very important, especially considering the Anthem receiver is a video pass-through only. We also stream Netflix and Amazon a fair bit. Anything I should be aware of before taking the plunge? Specifically looking at how well it is going to play with the Sony projector. Feel free to recommend a different source.
MOberhardt likes this.

Video: Dedicated Light Controlled Room | Sony VPL-VW285ES| 110" Stewart Grayhawk
Audio: Sound Controlled Room | Anthem MRX720 | Rotel 1080 | LR/Martin Logan Ascent i, Center - in progress, Rear - in progress, Sub - in progress
Sources: in progress
Old 05-09-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgiver View Post
Putting together my first real movie theater and would appreciate the forum wisdom. Got a new Sony vw285es and using a hand me down Stewart Greyhawk 110' screen. Trying to figure out what to do for my source as our old Samsung Blue Ray player won't cut it. After lots of research it seems that the Panasonic UB-820 is the lead contender. I would have loved to buy an Oppo but I am concerned about upgrades and support moving forward. We don't use SACD and DVD-A so those are not concerns. We have a lot of blue Rays and regular DVDs so upscaling performance is very important, especially considering the Anthem receiver is a video pass-through only. We also stream Netflix and Amazon a fair bit. Anything I should be aware of before taking the plunge? Specifically looking at how well it is going to play with the Sony projector. Feel free to recommend a different source.
I have an older Sony 300ES pj. I replaced a Sony UHD 4K player X800 with the Panasonic, and can say it is superior in handling discs. The downside, is the Netflix app doesn't play nice. After viewing a disc, I have to unplug the unit to get Netflix to work properly.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
I have an older Sony 300ES pj. I replaced a Sony UHD 4K player X800 with the Panasonic, and can say it is superior in handling discs. The downside, is the Netflix app doesn't play nice. After viewing a disc, I have to unplug the unit to get Netflix to work properly.
I currently use a UB-820 for discs only and a Nvidia Shield for all streaming.
johnnyboy632 likes this.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Yeah, where is this setting located?
Should be on the Home Screen. HOME>Setup>BD-Video Data Erase. Page 19 of the manual "Deleting Data on the USB drive". I picked up BHD on my way home and threw it in and selected Extended and watched about 15 mins without issue. That's all I had time to watch.

Epson5040UB - DragonFly DFM Tab 92HC High Contrast (.9 gain) 16:9 Screen - Denon AVRS740H - Klipsch Quintet V +
Klipsch KHC-6 In-Ceiling (Atmos 5.2.2) with Polk PSW110 Sub & Monoprice Premium Select 8" Sub (via iFinity Wireless Audio) - Panasonic UB820 - PS3
Old 05-09-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaquinas View Post
Should be on the Home Screen. HOME>Setup>BD-Video Data Erase.

Yes, it is, but what does it have to do with data of any kind saved in the UB820? It's related to USB.

I might try to isolate the issue. I'm using the dual-HDMI outputs. I could send the whole signal to my projection display (disconnect audio HDMI cable) as if I was using a panel and its internal speakers. I won't get any audio, of course, but if the freezes don't happen, then I'll have more info should I reach out to Panny.

I don't know which releases I have that utilize seamless branching, but the 3 I have a problem with are all Sony. Hm. I wonder if each (Leon, BHD, BR2049) are Atmos? I don't send bitstream to my prepro when there's Atmos. I let the UB820 process to PCM.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
Old 05-09-2019, 01:17 PM
GCS
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Anyone know where I can get a replacement remote for a UB820?

Got a great price on an open box unit but no remote even though it said it had everything. BB of course will do nothing.

If I can get a remote cheap enough its worth it otherwise I'll just return it.

TIA

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

Old 05-09-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post

Got a great price on an open box unit but no remote even though it said it had everything. BB of course will do nothing.

TIA
If it was listed as included and they won't do anything , I would return it. That's just not good business on their part.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:58 PM
GCS
AVS Forum Special Member

No its not but its BB you expect good business practices from them in general?

But to save $200 its worth it if I can find a remote for cheap.

The unit is pristine and appears to work exactly as should but hard to tell for sure w/o the remote.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The unit is pristine and appears to work exactly as should but hard to tell for sure w/o the remote.
Someone on the 9000 thread posted where they got a 900 remote (that is the earlier remote with no HDR button).
Old 05-09-2019, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Someone on the 9000 thread posted where they got a 900 remote (that is the earlier remote with no HDR button).
That remote is excellent. Does anyone know how to get to the HDR buttons functions with that remote?

Marantz 7702mkII
JVC RS500
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Old 05-09-2019, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why not just get the 9000 series remote? Works excellent with the 820/824 and has the HDR settings button. You can get it as a spare part from authorized Panasonic service dealers - got mine for approx. $35 including shipping...

It‘s a huge upgrade from the crappy default remote..

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2019, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsneaker View Post
Why not just get the 9000 series remote? Works excellent with the 820/824 and has the HDR settings button. You can get it as a spare part from authorized Panasonic service dealers - got mine for approx. $35 including shipping...

Where did you order it from? I didn't see in the 9000 thread anyone had located this one.
namirkhan likes this.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:

TIA
Quote:

If Best Buy or Panasonic won’t give you a remote for free, the 9000 remote for $35 from wherever deepsneaker got his from is a no brainer. $200 - $35 is still a $165 savings.

Personally I use a Harmony so I wouldn’t even bother getting a remote. I’ve never ever used mine anyway.

Another note: Best Buy has different categories of “Open Box” and they are shown under “Buying Options” on the product page. “Open Box Fair” is the correct category since it was missing the remote which is an “essential accessory”. If your open box sticker shows a higher category level you should be able to negotiate a price reduction to the correct open box category. I have been able to do this successfully after the sale.
MOberhardt likes this.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

For $35, you could purchase a Harmony 650 universal remote, control your entire home theater with a single remote, and get rid of the "coffee table full of remotes" and the need to perform the "remote control shuffle" every time you use your HT.
Geronimo.USMC likes this.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:41 AM
GCS
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes the BB open box rating was like new missing no items or accessories. The manager basically said return it or keep it that was it.

We stick with remote roulette unfortunately because my wife and kids understand it better. I have been through damn near every universal remote out there from cheap to stupid expensive and no one but me will use it so I stopped wasting money and time setting them up.

I'll look into the 9000 remote - any idea where to get it or the actual part number?

Thanks

Old 05-10-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Professional
Black Hawk Down

Both have seamless branching and Dolby Atmos (7.1 TrueHD compatible). I experience video/audio "freeze", a brief pause, at several points and they are repeatable and consistent.

I only send audio output to my prepro (no video) and I used the 820 to covert 7.1 TrueHD (when Atmos) to PCM. No problems with exceptions above.

I tried BHD with the DTS HD Master audio 5.1 and the movie played all the way through without a problem. I then tried The Professional, but sent Dolby Digital 5.1 from the 820 rather than 7.1 PCM (from the TrueHD). Plays fine!?

So, clearly, I've got a seamless branching plus Atmos problem. It could be some weird thing with my Prepro but I'd have thought that I'd experience only an audio glitch rather than a freeze. HDMI is nuts, so I'll remove my Prepro from the equation at some point.

Anyhow, do some of you experts have any thoughts?

Old 05-10-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Old 05-10-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I didn’t have a problem with either on Atmos.

Do you utilize the dual-HDMI outputs or do you send both audio and video HDMI to your processor? Most send both since they have more than one video source.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
Do you utilize the dual-HDMI outputs or do you send both audio and video HDMI to your processor? Most send both since they have more than one video source.
Just one HDMI cable connected to a Denon 6300.
jh901 likes this.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Yeah, I went to the harmony app and did fix command for the subtitle function, then when I went it told me to, so it could learn, I had to pull out the panasonic remote and point it at the hub until it learnt it. It works fine now. I can just hold the button and the subtitle options shows up.

I had to go through the same on my older Pana 900, the older model.

Remember on the panasonic remote, short press to bring up the the popup subtitle selection, and long press to bring up the options. What I've done works for the options screen.

I'm confused. The UB820 remote does not have subtitle button to learn.

In the Harmony software you went into buttons, selected the UB820, selected fix command, selected subtitle, connected your harmony elite remote to the PC and then it asks you to point the panasonic remote at the harmony remote and press the subtitle button....what button are you selecting on the panasonic UB820 remote since there isn't a subtitle button?

thanks!
Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:

Quote:
Where did you order it from? I didn't see in the 9000 thread anyone had located this one.
Quote:
Yes the BB open box rating was like new missing no items or accessories. The manager basically said return it or keep it that was it.

We stick with remote roulette unfortunately because my wife and kids understand it better. I have been through damn near every universal remote out there from cheap to stupid expensive and no one but me will use it so I stopped wasting money and time setting them up.

I'll look into the 9000 remote - any idea where to get it or the actual part number?

Thanks
deepsneaker appears to be located in Germany. The UB9000 remote is available from many online shops in Europe. I was never able to locate one from a US based shop. Maybe because there are only two US based retailers that sell the UB820 and UB9000 player.

The remote part number is N2QAYA000172.

I found a remote control retail shop in Spain that would ship to the US. It cost me $79 USD including shipping to US. It arrived 18 days after I placed my order.

https://mandisremotes.com/en/Panason...e-control.html

You can find the UB900 remote in the US on eBay and elsewhere. Its part number is N2QAYA000131. The main difference is that the UB900 remote does not have the HDR button that the UB9000 remote has.

Even the actual UB820 remote is difficult to find in the US. It is such a pain to use that I bought a UB9000 remote to use instead. The UB820 remote model number is N2QAYB001206. It appears you can get one from here for $16.95:

https://panasonic.encompass.com/item.../N2QAYB001206/

*** The next poster that asks me why I didn't get a Harmony instead goes directly to my Ignore list. ***
MOberhardt likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 05-10-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:08 AM
GCS
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
deepsneaker appears to be located in Germany. The UB9000 remote is available from many online shops in Europe. I was never able to locate one from a US based shop. Maybe because there are only two US based retailers that sell the UB820 and UB9000 player.

I found a remote control retail shop in Spain that would ship to the US. It cost me $79 USD including shipping to US. It arrived 18 days after I placed my order.

You can find the UB900 remote in the US on eBay and elsewhere. Its part number is N2QAYA000131. The main difference is that the UB900 remote does not have the HDR button that the UB9000 remote has.

Even the actual UB820 remote is difficult to find in the US. It is such a pain to use that I bought a UB9000 remote to use instead. The UB820 remote model number is N2QAYB001206. It appears you can get one from here for $16.95:

*** The next poster that asks me why I didn't get a Harmony instead goes directly to my Ignore list. ***

$17 or $80 hmmm

Appreciate the info though.

Thanks!

Greg

Old 05-10-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

The US model is N2QAYA000175. Encompass has it in stock, but for close to $100.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Thank you Claw, that was very helpful. I am thinking that they may start selling them in the U.S., when more vendors start selling the 9000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement