Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4821Likes

post #4591 of 5119 Old 06-01-2019, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys I got this player the other day and it's really amazing. Loving the picture quality, just a quick question. Is there a way to get this player to not start playing the disk when you power it on? I want to be able to power it up and go to the menu rather than it start playing the disk. Can't seem to find an option in the menus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 5119 Old 06-02-2019, 02:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3057 Post(s)
Liked: 2006
Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The 350 nit option is used primarily for enhanced colours with the native 4K JVC projectors. For other projectors there's really no advantage in using it over the 500 nit setting. Note that your projector does not actually need to produce 500 nits (or even 350 nits) on your screen, as a "multiplier" of typically 4 or 5 is for projectors in a bat cave.

Thats -4 or -5 on the panasonic correct ? I read that it gives you more dynamic range ? Usually at 0 is 350 nits running SDR2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #4593 of 5119 Old 06-02-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Hi all, I recently upgraded my entire home theater setup and one of the devices I added was Panasonic DP-UB820 as prior I did not have a dedicated disc player (had been using a PS4 Pro for when I wanted to play a disc).

A couple of questions;

1. I am using EARC feature between my C9 LG TV and Denon X4400H amplifier. I am getting HD audio tracks through the link from the Panasonic but periodically I stop getting video from the disc player. Short of the obvious things of swapping cables, etc., is anyone aware of any settings that might need to be changed to get this working properly? I'm just using the primary HDMI A+V port at this time.

2. Is there any way to get the player to select the Atmos track automatically? On many discs it seems to pick DD+ track when Atmos track is available. It's frustrating to have to go in and change the audio track every time I watch a movie.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4594 of 5119 Old 06-02-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
I would assume that it upscales streaming media also, but I haven't really checked it.

Longer runs of HDMI (more than 25 feet) can be problematic with 4k HDR, and there's probably no way to know until you try it. How old is your current cable? There are a couple of cables that most folks here recommend for longer runs, and typically they are fiber optic and a little more expensive. I purchased a Monoproce Slim Run cable since I have a 50 foot run and I haven't had any issues.

There is a paper that is often linked to by folks here that discuss the two cables (the Monoprice Slim Run and the Ruipro available on amazon) that passed all the tests for passing 4k HRD sources even over long distances. I seem to recall you can find it in Arrow-Av's signature.
This doesn't sound promising. My cable is about 5-6 years old. I really hope it works for 4k because replacing the cable is going to be tough. Is this one of those things that either works or it doesn't?

Last edited by hoops2; 06-02-2019 at 03:02 PM.
post #4595 of 5119 Old 06-02-2019, 03:19 PM

I just found the cable I bought in 2013- it's a "40ft Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology" from Monoprice. It claims 4k @60Hz and 18Gbps. I sure hope this is sufficient, but still waiting for my projector mount to be able to test it.
post #4596 of 5119 Old 06-02-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoops2 View Post
I just found the cable I bought in 2013- it's a "40ft Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology" from Monoprice. It claims 4k @60Hz and 18Gbps. I sure hope this is sufficient, but still waiting for my projector mount to be able to test it.
Go ahead and plug it in to your devices to test it out. No need to wait to actually get it mounted.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #4597 of 5119 Old 06-02-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sim View Post
Hey guys I got this player the other day and it's really amazing. Loving the picture quality, just a quick question. Is there a way to get this player to not start playing the disk when you power it on? I want to be able to power it up and go to the menu rather than it start playing the disk. Can't seem to find an option in the menus.
If you don’t leave a disc in the player it will start up with the home screen.

Clark
post #4598 of 5119 Old 06-02-2019, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hi.

I'm seriously considering this player as an upgrade from my Sony Ubp-X800 4K blu ray player. I do want Dolby Vision and I've read just how popular this 4K player has been received through its many reviews I've read on the internet. The HDR Optimiser and just PQ is outstanding on this player from the reviews I read.

I was wondering how warm this machine becomes when in use? The only ventilation I see is on the left side and a fan at the back. How is the fan for noise while watching a movie? Is it loud or fairly quiet? I will be installing it in my audio cabinet beside my centre speaker and just wanted to know if there is any concern as to heat dissipation with this unit? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

audiomanz
post #4599 of 5119 Old 06-02-2019, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
18 Gbps from 2013? Impressive. (AVRs which passed through signals that required 18 Gbps weren't common until at least 2015.) If it's true, it should be OK.
post #4600 of 5119 Old 06-02-2019, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
After several P.M. dialogues with helpful owners of both the UB820/9000 and Yamaha RX-A3080/CX-A5200 I purchased a Yamaha RX-A3080 with the anticipation that I would get Dolby Atmos from my UB820's Netflix app. I can report that, without any question, the UB820 DOES provide Netflix Atmos via this receiver/Pre-Pro combination. I can't comment on whether or not the RX-A1080/2080 is capable of this outcome, but all previous generations of Yamaha AVRs were incapable of "unpacking" the DD+ codec as Atmos from the UB820/9000. As I have repeatedly stated, this was solely a problem with the Yamaha AVR, not with Panasonic's current UHD player apps.

Hey, docrog. I'm considering buying the Yamaha 3080 and have a quick question for you. On the owners thread forum, I thought someone mentioned they were having handshake problems between the Panasonic UB 820 and the 3080. Have you had any issues?
post #4601 of 5119 Old 06-02-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Go ahead and plug it in to your devices to test it out. No need to wait to actually get it mounted.
The cable is on the ceiling, but I did get the projector mounted and tested it today. I seem to be having trouble with even the output from my AVR though- the onscreen menu's video is going in and out. It very well could be the cable. Not sure what resolution the AVR menu transmits, but the projector doesn't seem to like the format- the video goes out for seconds at a time before coming back. My next step is to try the UB820 directly into the projector and bypass the AVR altogether, but I won't have audio since my projector doesn't have speakers. But at least I can rule out the HDMI cable that way.
post #4602 of 5119 Old 06-03-2019, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoy View Post
Hey, docrog. I'm considering buying the Yamaha 3080 and have a quick question for you. On the owners thread forum, I thought someone mentioned they were having handshake problems between the Panasonic UB 820 and the 3080. Have you had any issues?
No handshake issues for me. IMO, the only thing that's less than optimal is that the stream from Amazon Video can be choppy with the UB820's app. It's doubtful that you'd necessarily use the Netflix, Amazon Video or You Tube apps in the UB820 unless your display is a projector. Otherwise ATV4K, Roku and other streaming devices would probably be preferred.
post #4603 of 5119 Old 06-03-2019, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The cable is on the ceiling, but I did get the projector mounted and tested it today. I seem to be having trouble with even the output from my AVR though- the onscreen menu's video is going in and out. It very well could be the cable. Not sure what resolution the AVR menu transmits, but the projector doesn't seem to like the format- the video goes out for seconds at a time before coming back. My next step is to try the UB820 directly into the projector and bypass the AVR altogether, but I won't have audio since my projector doesn't have speakers. But at least I can rule out the HDMI cable that way.
It certainly sounds like the cable is the problem. Often the AVR menus are the most bandwidth demanding (not with all, but with some), and it seems like the cable can't handle it. Bypassing the AVR is a good idea. I guess the cable was already up there, which is why you couldn't readily test it out. Assuming you have to replace it, definitely test it out before taking the time to run it to the mount.

Occasionally people will find very old cables that will pass the full 18 gbps, but this is typically the exception, rather than the rule.

post #4604 of 5119 Old 06-03-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked: 2070
Quote:
Very unlikely it will be. I had one that couldn't do 4K60 without dropouts. And that was at 25 feet.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #4605 of 5119 Old 06-03-2019, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
2. Is there any way to get the player to select the Atmos track automatically? On many discs it seems to pick DD+ track when Atmos track is available. It's frustrating to have to go in and change the audio track every time I watch a movie.

Thanks.
No. That's a problem with the disc authoring when the default audio track isn't the Atmos one. It takes a second, but you do need to check the audio setup on every disc you plan to play nowadays. It's just like some discs resume after stopping and some start over from the beginning. Not the player's fault; it's the authoring of the disc.
jmpage2 likes this.
post #4606 of 5119 Old 06-03-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
It certainly sounds like the cable is the problem. Often the AVR menus are the most bandwidth demanding (not with all, but with some), and it seems like the cable can't handle it. Bypassing the AVR is a good idea. I guess the cable was already up there, which is why you couldn't readily test it out. Assuming you have to replace it, definitely test it out before taking the time to run it to the mount.

Occasionally people will find very old cables that will pass the full 18 gbps, but this is typically the exception, rather than the rule.
Wow- thanks for the info. I really thought I was future proofing when I spend $50 on a hi-res HDMI cable 6 years ago. Yes- it was already ran through the attic and not enough slack to pull it from the ceiling to try the projector first. Anyway, the projector is mounted now and I just ordered a fiber-optic hdmi cable from Amazon and will certainly run the cable across the floor to test it before fishing it through the attic. Did not get a chance to try the 820 last night, but sounds like I will certainly still have issues if the existing cable is the problem.
post #4607 of 5119 Old 06-03-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow- thanks for the info. I really thought I was future proofing when I spend $50 on a hi-res HDMI cable 6 years ago. Yes- it was already ran through the attic and not enough slack to pull it from the ceiling to try the projector first. Anyway, the projector is mounted now and I just ordered a fiber-optic hdmi cable from Amazon and will certainly run the cable across the floor to test it before fishing it through the attic. Did not get a chance to try the 820 last night, but sounds like I will certainly still have issues if the existing cable is the problem.
Yeah, the HDMI cable thing has been a mess for the last few years. Even cables explicitly advertised as supporting 18gbps often failed to do this. This started 3+ years ago, and the choices then were quite few and far between, with no products 100% reliable. You don't mention the brand, but fiberoptic has been pretty reliable, especially in the 25'+ lengths. Ruipro seems to get good reports across the board.

When possible, it is advisable to install some type of conduit when running cables, to make future replacements easier. Don't know if this is an option for you, but something to consider. So when we have 8k or 16k, and need 48gbps or more, running new cables wouldn't be as painful.

post #4608 of 5119 Old 06-03-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the HDMI cable thing has been a mess for the last few years. Even cables explicitly advertised as supporting 18gbps often failed to do this. This started 3+ years ago, and the choices then were quite few and far between, with no products 100% reliable. You don't mention the brand, but fiberoptic has been pretty reliable, especially in the 25'+ lengths. Ruipro seems to get good reports across the board.
I did get a Ruipro (50 ft). But now I'm starting to think that even my AVR receiver could be a problem for HDMI switching. If cables have issues, it seems to reason that a switcher my have losses too. In fact, I remember having trouble with my Roku Ultra when trying to switch it through my AVR- I would see video dropouts on my old projector. But with HDMI cable running straight from projector to Roku I did not have this problem. So this suggests an issue with AVR (or maybe a combination of AVR + cable bandwidth) My AVR is a new Yamaha TSR-7850 that's supposed to support 4k UHD.
post #4609 of 5119 Old 06-03-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did get a Ruipro (50 ft). But now I'm starting to think that even my AVR receiver could be a problem for HDMI switching. If cables have issues, it seems to reason that a switcher my have losses too. In fact, I remember having trouble with my Roku Ultra when trying to switch it through my AVR- I would see video dropouts on my old projector. But with HDMI cable running straight from projector to Roku I did not have this problem. So this suggests an issue with AVR (or maybe a combination of AVR + cable bandwidth) My AVR is a new Yamaha TSR-7850 that's supposed to support 4k UHD.
Ruipro should work fine.

Had a quick look at your AVR, and as you said, its specs indicate it shouldn't be a problem. You might see if there is an AVS thread for this model, and see if there are any HDMI issues mentioned there. But more likely than not, the new cable should get you going.

post #4610 of 5119 Old 06-03-2019, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does the most recent 820 have Dolby Vision or do you have to update the BD player? Also I have a Sony X800 and that needed a change for Dolby Atmos. Do you have to change anything on the 820 to get Dolby Atmos?
post #4611 of 5119 Old 06-03-2019, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound2017 View Post
Does the most recent 820 have Dolby Vision or do you have to update the BD player? Also I have a Sony X800 and that needed a change for Dolby Atmos. Do you have to change anything on the 820 to get Dolby Atmos?
Firmware 1.2.1 (21 August 2018) introduced Dolby Vision support. https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com.../ub420_us.html

Current version is 1.55 (28 March 2019). There is no assurance as to what firmware version will be on an 820 purchased today. Updating isn't a big deal, though.
post #4612 of 5119 Old 06-03-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Firmware 1.2.1 (21 August 2018) introduced Dolby Vision support. https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com.../ub420_us.html

Current version is 1.55 (28 March 2019). There is no assurance as to what firmware version will be on an 820 purchased today. Updating isn't a big deal, though.
Have they been adding any new streaming options? The box says netflix, prime video, youtube tv? Just wondering if Hulu of Sling are available now with newer firmware.
post #4613 of 5119 Old 06-04-2019, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have they been adding any new streaming options? The box says netflix, prime video, youtube tv? Just wondering if Hulu of Sling are available now with newer firmware.
Nope. Limited streaming options is a vote against this player, if that's important to you.

Netflix works great, with both HDR and Atmos available, depending on which AVR you use with it. I haven't checked recently, but Amazon Prime didn't work well, with frequent 'stutters' reported about universally.

Many have another device for this (Roku, Shield, etc.) although then you can't take advantage of the UB820's Optimizer and Dynamic Range sliders.

post #4614 of 5119 Old 06-04-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
I have purchased 2 50ft HDMI cables that work excellent (18 Gps -- No Issues)

Monoprice SlimRun AV HDR Fiber Optic 50ft $159.99 (18 gps) --- No issues at all (send UB820, UB900, Oppo 203 down the line)
Monoprice DynamicView ACTIVE 50ft $71.79 (18 gps) --- No issues at all (send UB820, UB900, Oppo 203 down the line)

I have been using both for over 1 year (at least 2 years on the fiber optic) in 50 ft runs.
post #4615 of 5119 Old 06-04-2019, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey Guys. I got my 820 from Value Electronics last Friday and have been messing around with it since Saturday night. It is awesome. I do have one question though. I have an 65" C7 OLED. Which brightness setting in the HDR optimizer is best for this display? I like the look of the default setting "standard" but sometimes it appears a little to dim. Maybe I should go with "natural" instead. I have a totally light controlled room and usually watch with the lights on but dimmed. Just wondering what settings others with this combo are using.

Thanks!

Randy

Randy J. Fisher, CTS-D
post #4616 of 5119 Old 06-04-2019, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
Hey Guys. I got my 820 from Value Electronics last Friday and have been messing around with it since Saturday night. It is awesome. I do have one question though. I have an 65" C7 OLED. Which brightness setting in the HDR optimizer is best for this display? I like the look of the default setting "standard" but sometimes it appears a little to dim. Maybe I should go with "natural" instead. I have a totally light controlled room and usually watch with the lights on but dimmed. Just wondering what settings others with this combo are using.

Thanks!

Randy
I'm using standard with same TV. Also different transfers will give you a different look as well.
post #4617 of 5119 Old 06-05-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 275
The Natural is the 3rd Sony release where playing the compatible 7.1 when using the dual HDMI outputs causes periodic, repeatable "freeze". This release, similar to Black Hawk Down, comes with an alternate 5.1 which plays just fine.

Do any of you have a legit contact at Panasonic? Not looking for basic customer service line, but an engineer, executive, or otherwise expert.

Do any of you have a legit contact at Sony home video? Not looking for basic customer service line, but an engineer, executive, or otherwise expert.

Please feel free to message me directly. I'd really appreciate it.
curlyjive likes this.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #4618 of 5119 Old 06-05-2019, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomanz View Post
Hi.

I'm seriously considering this player as an upgrade from my Sony Ubp-X800 4K blu ray player. I do want Dolby Vision and I've read just how popular this 4K player has been received through its many reviews I've read on the internet. The HDR Optimiser and just PQ is outstanding on this player from the reviews I read.

I was wondering how warm this machine becomes when in use? The only ventilation I see is on the left side and a fan at the back. How is the fan for noise while watching a movie? Is it loud or fairly quiet? I will be installing it in my audio cabinet beside my centre speaker and just wanted to know if there is any concern as to heat dissipation with this unit? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

audiomanz
I made the same exact change about a month ago and im very happy with it. I had know issues with the sony and appreciate the better build quality but i have no doubt the panasonic is the better player
post #4619 of 5119 Old 06-05-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwander View Post
I made the same exact change about a month ago and im very happy with it. I had know issues with the sony and appreciate the better build quality but i have no doubt the panasonic is the better player
Same here. Replaced the physically well built Sony with the better performing Panasonic.
post #4620 of 5119 Old 06-05-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
The Natural is the 3rd Sony release where playing the compatible 7.1 when using the dual HDMI outputs causes periodic, repeatable "freeze". This release, similar to Black Hawk Down, comes with an alternate 5.1 which plays just fine.

Do any of you have a legit contact at Panasonic? Not looking for basic customer service line, but an engineer, executive, or otherwise expert.

Do any of you have a legit contact at Sony home video? Not looking for basic customer service line, but an engineer, executive, or otherwise expert.

Please feel free to message me directly. I'd really appreciate it.
I chatted with support and asked them to kick this up to engineering. They were supposed to do so and get back to me but I never heard anything.
jh901 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page