Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 161 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4821Likes

post #4801 of 5110 Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSphere00 View Post
Can somebody who owns this player please confirm if it can play Dolby Atmos tracks contained in mkv files?
Answered you in the audio thread. No. It cannot play any HD audio except for discs.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.

Last edited by teachsac; 06-18-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 5110 Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Answered you in the audio thread. No. It cannot.
I'm sorry for posting in both threads, I didn't really know which was the right one.

Do you happen to know why both of them can't? I'm just curious.
If I convert the mkv to m2ts, will the Panasonic be able to play the Atmos track or is that a workaround just for the Sony player?

And last question: does the Panasonic at least recognize and automatically switch on and off Dolby Vision according to the source material?
post #4803 of 5110 Old 06-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSphere00 View Post
I'm sorry for posting in both threads, I didn't really know which was the right one.

Do you happen to know why both of them can't? I'm just curious.
If I convert the mkv to m2ts, will the Panasonic be able to play the Atmos track or is that a workaround just for the Sony player?

And last question: does the Panasonic at least recognize and automatically switch on and off Dolby Vision according to the source material?
1. No. Panasonic will not play any HD audio except on disc. You are best getting a dedicated streaming device for playing your ripped files.

2. Yes. Panasonic auto switches when DV is detected. Sony is either on or off.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4804 of 5110 Old 06-18-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just curious as to what settings everyone uses for their 820. I'm using a TV (Q6FN) with the 820 connected to my receiver (RX-A1080). Still new to 4K and these are the settings I wasn't sure of...

Resolution- Auto
4K60p Output- 4K/60p (4:4:4) I have yet to see 4:4:4 when playing a 4K Blu Ray. Just 12 Bit 4:2:2.
HDMI (VIDEO) Output Mode- Video+Audio Just using 1 HDMI from 820 to Receiver.

Color Mode- YCbCr (Auto)
Deep Color Output- Auto (12 bit Priority)
HDR/Color Gamut Output- HDR/BT.2020 (Auto)
SDR/HDR Conv. (Network Service)- Off
HLG/PQ Conversion- Off
HDCP Output Setting- Auto TV/Receiver all have HDCP 2.2
Contents Type Flag- Auto
7.1 ch Audio Reformatting- Off

Should I turn off High Clarity Sound? What does it do exactly?

Thanks in advance.
post #4805 of 5110 Old 06-18-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post
I usually buy the cheaper cables. I don't buy into the Monster/AQ hoopla but my local Home Theater Shop gave me a discount on the Cinnamon and Pearl Cables because I was returning a scratched TV Stand and buying another. Long story short, I got three AQ cables for $35, total. I just ordered a 3ft Monoprice 4K Certified cable. I'll swap it out when it comes. Hopefully that does the trick.
The Pearl Cable I'll leave for now. The 820 is just sending the info to my receiver. Everything else works like it's supposed to.
This is the only HDMI cable I recommend. It's probably the cable you bought (if you have this connected to a receiver, you need two cables: player-to-receiver and receiver-to-display).

There was another guy on here that bought some really expensive boutique "4K" cables and got screwed when they didn't work and the company weaseled out of responsibility. We've come to a point where specification matters more than brand. 20-years ago I worked retail and sold 6-foot Monster Cables for $300....today, I'd take a Premium Certified HDMI cable from Monoprice for $100 before I'd pay $100 for a non-certified cable from anyone else. Thankfully, I can get Certified Premium Monoprice cables for cheaper than the esotaric guys can even make their non-certified cables.

The Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables have got to be the best deal in the entire cable industry. They are quality, they work and they are cheap. The trifecta.

Quote:
Should I turn off High Clarity Sound? What does it do exactly?
High Clarity Sound has front display options for some reason...This will shut off the front display during disc playback:

Settings>Audio>Settings for High Clarity Sound>Front Panel Display>Off

These are the settings that I'm using but I have a projector. In your case I'd try the HDR Optimizer (accessible only during playback).
MOberhardt likes this.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 06-18-2019 at 06:55 PM.
post #4806 of 5110 Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I don't believe it's the cable. I didn't spend a ton of $ for it but it's an Audioquest 3ft Cinnamon HDMI Cable. One thing I did notice this morning after testing some movies out was on my PS4 when I play the 1st Star Trek Movie (2009), (Regular Blu Ray), it plays seamlessly into the Paramount Mountain Logo with the moving stars. On my 820 the video drops out for a second and abruptly starts on the Paramount Logo. It also says on the front 820 Display "High Clarity Sound On" when the disc starts. Firmware was updated last week. I've also noticed when the video/audio drops out the 820's front display still shows the movie time counting up. So the movie seems to be continually playing during the dropouts. I assume it's the blu ray player because I haven't noticed anything on my PS4 or Cable Box which are all connected to the receiver.
I just purchased three sets of Belkin 4K 48 GBPS for my 820, Apple 4K TV and NAD 777v3. More expensive but no problems. Apple recommends and sell them and a review indicates it does make a slight difference.
william06 likes this.
post #4807 of 5110 Old 06-18-2019, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I don't believe it's the cable. I didn't spend a ton of $ for it but it's an Audioquest 3ft Cinnamon HDMI Cable. One thing I did notice this morning after testing some movies out was on my PS4 when I play the 1st Star Trek Movie (2009), (Regular Blu Ray), it plays seamlessly into the Paramount Mountain Logo with the moving stars. On my 820 the video drops out for a second and abruptly starts on the Paramount Logo. It also says on the front 820 Display "High Clarity Sound On" when the disc starts. Firmware was updated last week. I've also noticed when the video/audio drops out the 820's front display still shows the movie time counting up. So the movie seems to be continually playing during the dropouts. I assume it's the blu ray player because I haven't noticed anything on my PS4 or Cable Box which are all connected to the receiver.
I just purchased three sets of Belkin 4K 48 GBPS for my 820, Apple 4K TV and NAD 777v3 . More expensive but no problems. Apple recommends and sell them and a review indicates it does make a slight difference.
post #4808 of 5110 Old 06-18-2019, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I own the Panasonic DP-UB420 which is a stripped down version of the 820. It only outputs HDMI, no analogue outputs but it shares the same video circuitry.
I use its two HDMI outputs as my A/V receiver, a Pioneer SC-LX76 (also sold in the US with the Elite Badge) and an inexpensive 49" Samsung 4K HDR set.
HDMI audio is set to Bitstream but for video I have chosen RGB 12 bit for UHD BD/BD but change to Auto when playing video files. With inexpensive TV sets I think RGB 12 bits works great, it looks a bit cleaner than 4:4:4 12 bit, I think this is because inexpensive TV's (1000 Euros or less) may have subpar video processing and in the end all video signal must be finally converted to RGB to feed the panel. Panels only work with RGB video and if a TV set is fed a 4:4:4 signal it still must complete chroma upsampling, if fed an RGB signal chroma upsampling is complete and I think Panasonic UHD BD excell at that.
If someone gives 12 bit RGB a try I'm interested in your opinions.
post #4809 of 5110 Old 06-18-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
This is the only HDMI cable I recommend. It's probably the cable you bought (if you have this connected to a receiver, you need two cables: player-to-receiver and receiver-to-display).
That's the one I bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
One interesting advantage of turning on High Clarity Sound is it shuts off the front display during disc playback. These are the settings that I'm using but I have a projector. In your case I'd try the HDR Optimizer (accessible only during playback).
High Clarity Sound is on Auto but my front display is still on.
post #4810 of 5110 Old 06-18-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
High Clarity Sound is on Auto but my front display is still on.
My mistake. This is what your looking for:

Settings>Audio>Settings for High Clarity Sound>Front Panel Display>Off
post #4811 of 5110 Old 06-19-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Panasonic DP-UB820 always subtitles?

06/19/19

Being somewhat hearing impaired (too many concerts when I was younger), I always need subtitles (closed captions) to understand the dialog in most movies. So does anyone know of a way to set my Panasonic DP-UB820 to ALWAYS display subtitles?

Or do I have to go through the Options menu every time I play a new movie?

Thanks!
MOberhardt likes this.

Last edited by LloydSt; 06-20-2019 at 08:13 AM.
post #4812 of 5110 Old 06-19-2019, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydSt View Post
06/19/19

Being somewhat hearing impaired (too many concerts when I was younger), I always need subtitles (closed captions) to under stand the dialog in most movies. So does anyone know of a way to set my Panasonic DP-UB820 to ALWAYS display subtitles?

Or do I have to go through the Options menu every time I play a new movie?

Thanks!
Unfortunately not. It doesn't even remember it on a resume playback. That is something I want - have all subtitle settings stick between movies, especially the position and luminance...
LloydSt likes this.
post #4813 of 5110 Old 06-19-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
One thing I did notice this morning after testing some movies out was on my PS4 when I play the 1st Star Trek Movie (2009), (Regular Blu Ray), it plays seamlessly into the Paramount Mountain Logo with the moving stars. On my 820 the video drops out for a second and abruptly starts on the Paramount Logo. I've also noticed when the video/audio drops out the 820's front display still shows the movie time counting up. So the movie seems to be continually playing during the dropouts. I assume it's the blu ray player because I haven't noticed anything on my PS4 or Cable Box which are all connected to the receiver.
I was tinkering around in the 820 Video Settings and changed the Resolution from Auto to 4K. Now the start of Star Trek plays seamlessly into the Paramount Logo like it's supposed to.
post #4814 of 5110 Old 06-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I’m hoping I can get some advice. I just purchased a Panasonic 820 player to go along with my Sony A9G OLED.

Since my days of using a regular old BD player, I’ve always made sure to set 24p to OFF. I’ve never liked the way 24p looks and this has never been an issue - just simply user preference.

Anyway, I previously had a Sony x700 and despite many attempts, I was not able to get an HDR signal without turning on 24p - much to my annoyance. If there was a way around it, I couldn’t find it - and I tried virtually everything that was suggested.

With the 820, If I set 24p to On, I get an HDR signal with no issues - as expected. When I check playback information when the disc is playing, it reads as "4K/24p HDR." When I turn OFF 24p, however, it doesn’t want to read an HDR signal - much like the Sony x700. However, I figured out that by going into the 4K60p output setting and turning it OFF - I can leave 24p off and still get an HDR signal. Or at least what I “think” is an HDR signal. Leaving it at 4K/60p (4:4:4) or 4K/60p (4:2:0) does not allow me to get an HDR signal unless I go back and turn on 24p again.

So, when I run 24p OFF and 4K60p output setting to OFF, I do get what appears to be an HDR signal at 60p- which is what I wanted. The HDR settings activate on my A9G. However, what confuses me, is that when I check the playback info, it doesn’t say 4K. It says “1080/60p HDR” - which makes me wonder if I am sacrificing something with picture quality when I try to watch HDR with 24p set to OFF. Shouldn't it still technically be 4K if it's HDR? Why would it say 1080 on the playback info?

Thoughts?
post #4815 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
I’m hoping I can get some advice. I just purchased a Panasonic 820 player to go along with my Sony A9G OLED.

Since my days of using a regular old BD player, I’ve always made sure to set 24p to OFF. I’ve never liked the way 24p looks and this has never been an issue - just simply user preference.

Anyway, I previously had a Sony x700 and despite many attempts, I was not able to get an HDR signal without turning on 24p - much to my annoyance. If there was a way around it, I couldn’t find it - and I tried virtually everything that was suggested.

With the 820, If I set 24p to On, I get an HDR signal with no issues - as expected. When I check playback information when the disc is playing, it reads as "4K/24p HDR." When I turn OFF 24p, however, it doesn’t want to read an HDR signal - much like the Sony x700. However, I figured out that by going into the 4K60p output setting and turning it OFF - I can leave 24p off and still get an HDR signal. Or at least what I “think” is an HDR signal. Leaving it at 4K/60p (4:4:4) or 4K/60p (4:2:0) does not allow me to get an HDR signal unless I go back and turn on 24p again.

So, when I run 24p OFF and 4K60p output setting to OFF, I do get what appears to be an HDR signal at 60p- which is what I wanted. The HDR settings activate on my A9G. However, what confuses me, is that when I check the playback info, it doesn’t say 4K. It says “1080/60p HDR” - which makes me wonder if I am sacrificing something with picture quality when I try to watch HDR with 24p set to OFF. Shouldn't it still technically be 4K if it's HDR? Why would it say 1080 on the playback info?

Thoughts?

I don’t normally run with these settings but here is what I am getting with 24p off :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #4816 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
Quote:

Thoughts?
When you turned 24P OFF, you told the UB820 that your TV does not support 4K24.
When you turned 4K60 OFF, you told the UB820 that your TV does not support 4K60.

The UB820 had no option but to output 1080P60.
chunon and Th601 like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #4817 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3055 Post(s)
Liked: 2005
Can someone tell me when sending SDR2020 is it an 8 bit signal or 10 bit ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #4818 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
When you turned 24P OFF, you told the UB820 that your TV does not support 4K24.
When you turned 4K60 OFF, you told the UB820 that your TV does not support 4K60.

The UB820 had no option but to output 1080P60.
My only other theory is that my cables are restricted. I bought Amazon's newest version and did read that some people weren't able to get 4K/60 like claimed. I might order some Monoprice ones that allegedly resolved this issue for some people that were complaining. We'll see.
chunon likes this.
post #4819 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
My only other theory is that my cables are restricted. I bought Amazon's newest version and did read that some people weren't able to get 4K/60 like claimed. I might order some Monoprice ones that allegedly resolved this issue for some people that were complaining. We'll see.

If you go with the monoprice certified cables you should be good (you can get those from amazon btw), I agree with your assessment .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #4820 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Unfortunately not. It doesn't even remember it on a resume playback. That is something I want - have all subtitle settings stick between movies, especially the position and luminance...
Thanks for your reply MOberhardt!

Have you found any 4K player that could be set to always show subtitles?

Thanks!

Lloyd
post #4821 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I bought a JVC RS 1000 a few weeks ago and running it with an OPPO 203 with everything on Auto. Would it make much of a difference to buy myself an 820? One way or the other I'm keeping the OPPO for SACD.

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
post #4822 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
I purchased these cables from Amazon and have no trouble with 4K HDR or DV from either my 820 or A4KTV. I'm not sure if anything I watched off Netflix was 60fps though and disk playback on the 820 was 24fps. The cable manufacture claims 48gbs and 120fps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
post #4823 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
If you go with the monoprice certified cables you should be good (you can get those from amazon btw), I agree with your assessment .

I can play Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk UHD BD which is mastered at 4K HDR 10 @ 60fps with a 4.8 meter Amazon Basics cable at 4:2:2 at 12 bit on my Panasonic DP-UB420 connected to Samsung 49" HDR set.
Playing UHD BD's with HDR 10 at the regular 24 fps of 99.99 of movies are shot at is not a problem for inexpensive Amazon Basics HDMI cables and I'm not talking about the average 1 or 2 meter cable most people use, it also works with my 4.8 meter Amazon Basics HDMI cable. Cheap doesn't necessarily means worse, think about how many HDMI cables Amazon orders to its supplier and the price they can get out of it.
post #4824 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieVanHalen View Post
I can play Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk UHD BD which is mastered at 4K HDR 10 @ 60fps with a 4.8 meter Amazon Basics cable at 4:2:2 at 12 bit on my Panasonic DP-UB420 connected to Samsung 49" HDR set.
Playing UHD BD's with HDR 10 at the regular 24 fps of 99.99 of movies are shot at is not a problem for inexpensive Amazon Basics HDMI cables and I'm not talking about the average 1 or 2 meter cable most people use, it also works with my 4.8 meter Amazon Basics HDMI cable. Cheap doesn't necessarily means worse, think about how many HDMI cables Amazon orders to its supplier and the price they can get out of it.

My max is $10 bucks a cable definitely not arguing for expensive cables , I have just had better luck with certified cables for hdr.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #4825 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydSt View Post
Thanks for your reply MOberhardt!

Have you found any 4K player that could be set to always show subtitles?

Thanks!

Lloyd
Not that I'm aware of unfortunately.

That said, the subtitle options the Panasonic has are not matched by ANY other UHD player. Eg Subtitle shift, and the unique one - subtitle luminance (which is so needed in the HDR era with 100% white subtitles....).

My ideal player would have, for subtitles:
- All settings persist
- Transparency settings
- Luminance settings
- Size settings
- Automatically position subtitles at desired location. So if you had a 2.35;1 projector setup, it would automatically position it at the bottom of the 2.35 frame, and 16:9, auto at the bottom.
post #4826 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Can someone tell me when sending SDR2020 is it an 8 bit signal or 10 bit ?

Thanks
In my case, it is 4:2:2 12-bit.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #4827 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
In my case, it is 4:2:2 12-bit.

So it is 12 bit, cheers

God Bless,
post #4828 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
So it is 12 bit, cheers

Unless you set it to be 10 bit. Then it's 10 bit.
post #4829 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
Unless you set it to be 10 bit. Then it's 10 bit.

Thank you. Thats what i thought. I had a conversation with another member and we didnt know wether the projector down converted it too 8 bit

God Bless,
post #4830 of 5110 Old 06-20-2019, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to update some dated equipment and would appreciate some help clarifying the following. If I were to combine a JVC RS4xx with UB820 but keep an older receiver with HDMI 1.4 spec, would I have any compatibility issues using the separate HDMI audio output of the 820 with the 1.4 receiver while operating the projector off the A/V HDMI with 2.2 compatibility? The receiver has TrueHD and DTS-HDMA support and a THX Ultra2 mode that works well in my space and therefore don't see an immediate need to replace. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page