Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5049Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4891 of 6020 Old 06-25-2019, 11:41 PM
Member
 
Franconian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franconian View Post
I am sure you can but I haven‘t tried it yet because of the waranty and I have to find somebody with soldering skills and a quiet replacement fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Fair enough. I'd have to see pictures, but often with connectors, if there is a lead running to it, you can usually extract the innards with a pin and if the internal lugs are the same on old and new, swap. Or just rebind the new wires to the old plugs.

I also wonder how actually useful the fan is. I'd lay money on it that so long as you are not using the analog 7.1 audio side of it, it provides zero use. Personally, if I had an issue with the fan noise, once out of warranty i'd just disconnect it. And if you have a kitchen thermometer probe, just check temps as it runs before and after.
It's a 50mm x 50mm x 15 mm PWM 3 pin (core) fan according to this post which also has pictures.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/pan...#post-26255877

I am on the same boat with warranty too so I did not want to open mine.
Feel free to open the player, there are no seals you have to break or anything that shows that you opened it.
MOberhardt likes this.

LG OLED 65B8 | Denon AVR-X3500H | Zidoo X9S | Panasonic DP-UB824 | Nubert nuLine 84 / CS-44 / 24 / AW-600 | Xbox One X | PS4 | Synology DS216+II​
Franconian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4892 of 6020 Old 06-25-2019, 11:44 PM
Member
 
Franconian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If I remember right the fan is a mini connector that looks like this (First Post):

https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-...topics/1269129

https://www.overclock.net/photopost/...50f_aa4-2.jpeg

LG OLED 65B8 | Denon AVR-X3500H | Zidoo X9S | Panasonic DP-UB824 | Nubert nuLine 84 / CS-44 / 24 / AW-600 | Xbox One X | PS4 | Synology DS216+II​
Franconian is offline  
post #4893 of 6020 Old 06-26-2019, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,282
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franconian View Post
If I remember right the fan is a mini connector that looks like this (First Post):

https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-...topics/1269129

https://www.overclock.net/photopost/...50f_aa4-2.jpeg
So the connector on the right on the first picture?
MOberhardt is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4894 of 6020 Old 06-26-2019, 06:55 AM
Member
 
Franconian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franconian View Post
If I remember right the fan is a mini connector that looks like this (First Post):

https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-...topics/1269129

https://www.overclock.net/photopost/...50f_aa4-2.jpeg
So the connector on the right on the first picture?
Yes, such a smaller one and not the standard connector you find on PC fans. So soldering or rewireing is required. Ive seen adapters on eBay but they were not cheap.
MOberhardt likes this.

LG OLED 65B8 | Denon AVR-X3500H | Zidoo X9S | Panasonic DP-UB824 | Nubert nuLine 84 / CS-44 / 24 / AW-600 | Xbox One X | PS4 | Synology DS216+II​
Franconian is offline  
post #4895 of 6020 Old 06-26-2019, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
radamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Just got an LG UBK90 hooked up to my 65C9 OLED. I currently only have 1 4K blu-ray and it looked great (as expected). I then popped in a Blu-Ray of Iron Man which I expected to really pop. First off got a weird "RESOLUTION CHANGE" message where I had to hold the STOP button for 5 seconds. I wound up turning everything off, redoing my settings and then trying again. After a third time I got it to stay in 2160 resolution. The result was ok... but not what I expected at all and took too much work. Going to stop at BB on the way home and pick up a UB820 and give that a try. For more than twice as much I hope it is a better experience.

LG OLED65C9, Yamaha RX-A3080, Paradigm Reference Studio 80 Mains, Atmos 5.1.4 config, Panasonic UB820, PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4K
radamo is offline  
post #4896 of 6020 Old 06-26-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,562
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5625 Post(s)
Liked: 5465
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Actually, there are two settings that affect Netflix HDR playback.

1. 4K60 Output

This must be set to 4K60 4:4:4.

Think of this setting as the maximum color space that your TV or Projector supports at 4K60.

Netflix, for some reason, will not output 4K60 4:2:0 10-bit HDR. It will output 4:2:0 SDR instead. I have no idea why the Netflix App has this restriction as Netflix will output 4K60 4:2:0 HDR from some other players.


2. Advanced... Color Mode

This can be set to either Auto or 4:2:2. It cannot be set to 4:4:4 if you want HDR from Netflix.

Think of this setting as the color space that you want output to your TV for both 4K24 and 4K60.

If you set it to 4:4:4, then Netflix will output 4K60 4:4:4 8-bit SDR since 10-bit is not allowed for 4K60 4:4:4.

Leave this setting at Auto unless you want 4:2:2 for 4K24 output instead of 4:4:4.
Wasn't there a reason you wanted 4:2:2 for 4k24 output for discs tho as well? I could be way off.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #4897 of 6020 Old 06-26-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,282
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franconian View Post
Yes, such a smaller one and not the standard connector you find on PC fans. So soldering or rewireing is required. Ive seen adapters on eBay but they were not cheap.
Can you post a product name? Or listing code? I'll see if I can locate one elsewhere at a parts supplier. Thanks
MOberhardt is online now  
post #4898 of 6020 Old 06-26-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,547
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3289 Post(s)
Liked: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
If Panasonic released the next model, and it had HDMIinput like the oppo, I'd gladly upgrade... So I can use the tone mapping on the atv, or another 4k device


Yes im hoping for that as well


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jorgebetancourt likes this.

_________________________

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Franin is online now  
post #4899 of 6020 Old 06-26-2019, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,960
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Wasn't there a reason you wanted 4:2:2 for 4k24 output for discs tho as well? I could be way off.
Likely depends on the display device.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
post #4900 of 6020 Old 06-26-2019, 10:16 PM
Member
 
SoonerDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandlj View Post
I’ve got exactly the same issue and have returned back to using the ATV.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like maybe you and I are the only ones experiencing this issue. I ordered another one from BB to test out and try and figure if it is my setup or a faulty unit. Should have it Friday and will report what I find.
Dandlj likes this.
SoonerDoc is online now  
post #4901 of 6020 Old 06-26-2019, 10:57 PM
Member
 
Franconian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franconian View Post
Yes, such a smaller one and not the standard connector you find on PC fans. So soldering or rewireing is required. Ive seen adapters on eBay but they were not cheap.
Can you post a product name? Or listing code? I'll see if I can locate one elsewhere at a parts supplier. Thanks
Should be this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pin-to-3-...-/391934875981

But for me in Europe shipping is way to expensive. Haven‘t checked Aliexpress yet. Before ordering we should recheck if the connector is really looking like this, it was months ago I opened the player and haven’t made a picture.
MOberhardt likes this.

LG OLED 65B8 | Denon AVR-X3500H | Zidoo X9S | Panasonic DP-UB824 | Nubert nuLine 84 / CS-44 / 24 / AW-600 | Xbox One X | PS4 | Synology DS216+II​
Franconian is offline  
post #4902 of 6020 Old 06-27-2019, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
radamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Just got an LG UBK90 hooked up to my 65C9 OLED. I currently only have 1 4K blu-ray and it looked great (as expected). I then popped in a Blu-Ray of Iron Man which I expected to really pop. First off got a weird "RESOLUTION CHANGE" message where I had to hold the STOP button for 5 seconds. I wound up turning everything off, redoing my settings and then trying again. After a third time I got it to stay in 2160 resolution. The result was ok... but not what I expected at all and took too much work. Going to stop at BB on the way home and pick up a UB820 and give that a try. For more than twice as much I hope it is a better experience.

Happy to report back that the 820 is a total keeper. The UBK90 is packed up and will be returned today. Absolutely love the output, looks gorgeous. Wish there was a VUDU app on here since the only VUDU app I have capable of running UHD is on my TV and that drops the audio quality since it is either ARC or Optical to my receiver. I know the audio on the VUDU movies is compressed but seems to me direct HDMI would be a better result than either choice offered by the TV option.
chasiliff likes this.
radamo is offline  
post #4903 of 6020 Old 06-27-2019, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Received my 820 yesterday and relegated my OPPO 203 as the backup/SACD player. Played around a few hours and fine tuned it to my liking and I have to say that it's what it's cracked up to be. Outstanding PQ! I always left the OPPO on Auto in the settings because the HDR options all gave me weird PQ. With the 820 the slider and HDR optimizer are a godsend. I tried both the SDR2020 and HDR2020 and prefer the HDR2020.
jb442386 likes this.

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
Gates is offline  
post #4904 of 6020 Old 06-27-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,562
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5625 Post(s)
Liked: 5465
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Likely depends on the display device.
It was discussed in the new JVC PJ thread so perhaps it was only irt those specifically but IIRC it had to do with some banding.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #4905 of 6020 Old 06-27-2019, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
teiresias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I apologize if this is a repeat, so feel free to just point me to another post in the thread if the information is there, but I just picked up this player but will be using it with my non-4K display until I buy a 4K OLED in the next month or two.

In the meantime, are there any settings I should double check in the settings to make sure I'm getting good output to a 1080p non-HDR display when playing a UHD Blu-Ray (or regular Blu-Ray for that matter I suppose)? I didn't see any explicit settings concerning HDR-to-SDR conversion, only the other way around.
teiresias is offline  
post #4906 of 6020 Old 06-27-2019, 05:58 PM
Newbie
 
bytheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy this but my only query is regarding the Dolby Vision finding in this review:

The reviewer compared the UB9000 to the Oppo 203 and found that the Oppo implemented Dolby Vision "correctly" by just passing through the dynamic metadata, but the Panny seemed to alter the DV metadata.

I have an LG B8 OLED.

I realise this is the UB9000 but would guess it applies to the UB820 as well...

Can anybody comment or refute this?

Thank you!
bytheway is offline  
post #4907 of 6020 Old 06-27-2019, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
 
AlexBPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Guys, I just saw how this player upscaled a 1080p Blu-ray to 4K on a new JVC projector and was blown away. I’ve never seen an image more rock solid. I’m assuming this is the result of the HCX processor in the panny.

Does anybody know of an external device (besides an HTPC) that I can use to upscale 1080p signals from an Apple TV or Roku player? My JVC projector doesn’t have the best built-in upscaling and I’d like to bypass it. Tried to search for an HCX based upscaler and didn’t come up with anything.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me" -Vizzini

Last edited by AlexBPM; 06-27-2019 at 11:33 PM.
AlexBPM is offline  
post #4908 of 6020 Old 06-28-2019, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBPM View Post
Guys, I just saw how this player upscaled a 1080p Blu-ray to 4K on a new JVC projector and was blown away. I’ve never seen an image more rock solid. I’m assuming this is the result of the HCX processor in the panny. Does anybody know of an external device (besides an HTPC) that I can use to upscale 1080p signals from an Apple TV or Roku player? My JVC projector doesn’t have the best built-in upscaling and I’d like to bypass it. Tried to search for an HCX based upscaler and didn’t come up with anything. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you unhappy with the way that (native) legacy material is upscaled internally by either the ATV4K or Roku Ultra/Premier? Both of these devices can be set to always output in 4K with the JVC PJ. I'm very pleased with the upscaling of both of these devices with my NX7/RS2000.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Panasonic UB820, Panasonic UB420, Oppo 103D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
docrog is online now  
post #4909 of 6020 Old 06-28-2019, 07:44 AM
Member
 
monkaquinas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Likely depends on the display device.
I have the Epson 5040UB and was curious if I could get 4k HDR from Netflix (I do have the 4K plan, but for multiple streams.) I changed:

4k 60 FPS to 4:4:4

Color Mode to YCbCr Auto

And once I launched Netflix and selected Lost in Space changed the Picture Settings under Display from Normal to Projector.
I was getting 1080P with HDR BT2020. Does this seem correct? I know the 5040 has a lower HDMI chipset.

Epson5040UB - DragonFly DFM Tab 92HC High Contrast (.9 gain) 16:9 Screen - Denon AVRS740H - Klipsch Quintet V +
Klipsch KHC-6 In-Ceiling (Atmos 5.2.2) with Polk PSW110 Sub & Monoprice Premium Select 8" Sub (via iFinity Wireless Audio) - Panasonic UB820 - PS3
monkaquinas is offline  
post #4910 of 6020 Old 06-28-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,960
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaquinas View Post
I have the and was curious if I could get 4k HDR from Netflix (I do have the 4K plan, but for multiple streams.) I changed:

4k 60 FPS to 4:4:4

Color Mode to YCbCr Auto

And once I launched Netflix and selected Lost in Space changed the Picture Settings under Display from Normal to Projector.
I was getting 1080P with HDR BT2020. Does this seem correct? I know the 5040 has a lower HDMI chipset.
The 5040 has a 10Gbps HDMI chipset so it doesn't support Netflix HDR at 4K60.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
post #4911 of 6020 Old 06-28-2019, 09:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheway View Post
The reviewer compared the UB9000 to the Oppo 203 and found that the Oppo implemented Dolby Vision "correctly" by just passing through the dynamic metadata, but the Panny seemed to alter the DV metadata.

I have an LG B8 OLED.

I realise this is the UB9000 but would guess it applies to the UB820 as well...

Can anybody comment or refute this?
I have a C6 and I have found that DV with the 820 clips highlights. For example, I watched Annihilation and HDR10 with HCX engaged revealed more highlight detail compared with DV. Apparently, it's Dolby's problem. I hope it gets sorted because I love the player otherwise.
evoll88 likes this.

Last edited by cfitzpatrick711; 06-28-2019 at 12:41 PM.
cfitzpatrick711 is offline  
post #4912 of 6020 Old 06-28-2019, 01:17 PM
Member
 
jt7272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
The 5040 has a 10Gbps HDMI chipset so it doesn't support Netflix HDR at 4K60.
monkaquinas,

If you want to watch Netflix in 4kHDR on the 5040/6040ub then you will need a device which can stream Netflix at content native framerates. The UB820 does not do this (it forces/converts everything to 60fps). Most content on Netflix is actually produced at 24fps which makes it possible to watch with a 10gbps device IF the streaming device can actually stream the source framerate.

Some other UHD players can do this (Sony's, for instance) but also devices like the Nvidia Shield and the Roku Ultra.
MOberhardt likes this.

Epson 6040ub
Denon AVR-X3400H + Mirage OMD-5 surrounds
Home-made Hybrid PCB Electrostatic Floorstanding L+R Speakers (with built-in DSP + amps)
Home-made sub with 15" Ultimax woofer, Dayton SA1000 Amp
Sony PS4, Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB820
jt7272 is offline  
post #4913 of 6020 Old 06-28-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,282
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt7272 View Post
monkaquinas,

If you want to watch Netflix in 4kHDR on the 5040/6040ub then you will need a device which can stream Netflix at content native framerates. The UB820 does not do this (it forces/converts everything to 60fps). Most content on Netflix is actually produced at 24fps which makes it possible to watch with a 10gbps device IF the streaming device can actually stream the source framerate.

Some other UHD players can do this (Sony's, for instance) but also devices like the Nvidia Shield and the Roku Ultra.
The Apple TV also supports native frame rates.
MOberhardt is online now  
post #4914 of 6020 Old 06-28-2019, 04:29 PM
Member
 
SoonerDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
Looks like maybe you and I are the only ones experiencing this issue. I ordered another one from BB to test out and try and figure if it is my setup or a faulty unit. Should have it Friday and will report what I find.

So I got another 820 to test out and it has the same problem. Netflix has a significant sync problem with the video BEFORE the audio, so doing an audio delay makes it even worse.


So started messing around with the settings in the 820 and switched from bitstream to PCM. Now the audio and video in Netflix are synced. If I leave the player in PCM am I losing anything? My understanding is PCM the 820 is doing the decoding and Bitstream is feeding the data to the AVR which is then doing the decoding.



Feeding a pioneer elite vsx-lx503. When I leave the 820 in PCM the pioneer AVR says the input format to the AVR is PCM 2.0.


Thanks!!
SoonerDoc is online now  
post #4915 of 6020 Old 06-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Newbie
 
bytheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfitzpatrick711 View Post
I have a C6 and I have found that DV with the 820 clips highlights. For example, I watched Annihilation and HDR10 with HCX engaged revealed more highlight detail compared with DV. Apparently, it's Dolby's problem. I hope it gets sorted because I love the player otherwise.
Thanks for the insight...so would the Oppo 203 or another player do this "better" (in inverted commas because from my understanding it should either just be perfect passthrough of metadata or the player is changing the metadata) than the 820? Does this indicate the 820 is changing the metadata?

I thought Dolby only calibrates / certifies displays, not players???
bytheway is offline  
post #4916 of 6020 Old 06-28-2019, 07:17 PM
Member
 
Th601's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
So I got another 820 to test out and it has the same problem. Netflix has a significant sync problem with the video BEFORE the audio, so doing an audio delay makes it even worse.


So started messing around with the settings in the 820 and switched from bitstream to PCM. Now the audio and video in Netflix are synced. If I leave the player in PCM am I losing anything? My understanding is PCM the 820 is doing the decoding and Bitstream is feeding the data to the AVR which is then doing the decoding.



Feeding a pioneer elite vsx-lx503. When I leave the 820 in PCM the pioneer AVR says the input format to the AVR is PCM 2.0.


Thanks!!


Good question. Following.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Th601 is online now  
post #4917 of 6020 Old 06-29-2019, 02:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheway View Post
Thanks for the insight...so would the Oppo 203 or another player do this "better" (in inverted commas because from my understanding it should either just be perfect passthrough of metadata or the player is changing the metadata) than the 820? Does this indicate the 820 is changing the metadata?

I thought Dolby only calibrates / certifies displays, not players???
I don't own the Oppo 203 nor have I seen it in person, so I can't comment for certain, but reading through others' posts it seems the Oppo DV implementation has less elevated black levels and more highlight detail compared with the 820's output.

You're correct that the DV implementations should look identical across devices on the same display. Why they don't is beyond me and I'll leave to better qualified opinions.
cfitzpatrick711 is offline  
post #4918 of 6020 Old 06-29-2019, 03:39 PM
Newbie
 
plummerl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi! I just received my UB820 a few days ago, to replace my somewhat aged Oppo BDP-83. So far, so good, however I've encountered an issue with the Netflix App. Basically, I'm not getting any audio output from Netflix! I have Netflix on at least four other devices, no issues at all. I've run YouTube & Amazon Prime, perfect audio. Netflix on the Toshiba TV is also no issue.


For initial testing, I'm using HDMI to a Toshiba TV, sending optical audio to a receiver. As stated, everything else is working, including discs. For audio, I've used both the transfer to my receiver, as well as using audio from the TV. No differences in audio for everything. Netflix just remains silent. The Toshiba is a 1080p/HD (no 4K, etc.).


Thanks, any guidance appreciated!
plummerl is offline  
post #4919 of 6020 Old 06-29-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desray2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
Also getting a significant lip sync issue with netflix on the 820. Discs are fine.



Have had to stick with ATV for Netflix because of this.



Any solutions?


For lip sync issue, did you try to disable the lip sync feature on your Denon?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
desray2k is offline  
post #4920 of 6020 Old 06-29-2019, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
vadergr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Can someone point the unit's limitations on video files playback via wired network?
Is 4K mkv supported with at least simple DD or DTS ?
vadergr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k blu-ray player , blu-ray player , blu-ray settings , panasonic ub820

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off