Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 168 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5022Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5011 of 5932 Old 07-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
I just wanted to add my two cents on this as I have a C8 and receiver which supports DV in combination with this player as well. I can’️t recall where but I read a couple of reputable opinions with preference of the C8 displaying DV better than my receiver and most it was beating out the receivers quality and of course sticking with the audio hdmi separately to the receiver. I had it single HDMI audio in/out at first but after switching to double, the DV my C8 implemented vs my receiver was noticeable to me so I’️m glad I did it to have the best PQ with these beauties. So you might want to just try both ways depending on your receiver specifically. 🙂
Thanks for the suggestion! Had to edit this message since I didn't write it correctly. Yes, I have it plugged into the hdmi video/audio port but I don't use the audio port in it. If you have both hdmi's audio in/out and hdmi video/audio at the same time you can't watch above 1080p.
Of course! I just know I appreciated the difference when I read it from somewhere else so I thought I would as well! Ah, well good thing there’s definitely no need for both of those then as I’m sure they intended. I’m hoping someone responds to your other post soon regarding the tone mapping. I’ve read opinions on either utilizing double tone mapping or just one but I know there must be a more accurate intended usage between these settings with the tone mapping on the OLED’s and the 820 with testing and meters that some use for these purposes in standards set today.
MeganElisabeth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5012 of 5932 Old 07-06-2019, 06:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
Of course! I just know I appreciated the difference when I read it from somewhere else so I thought I would as well! Ah, well good thing there’s definitely no need for both of those then as I’m sure they intended. I’m hoping someone responds to your other post soon regarding the tone mapping. I’ve read opinions on either utilizing double tone mapping or just one but I know there must be a more accurate intended usage between these settings with the tone mapping on the OLED’s and the 820 with testing and meters that some use for these purposes in standards set today.
Yah. I did that in my extensive googling. I do have someone coming to calibrate my tv tomorrow though. Super excited about it. After he finishes calibrating hdr I will have to ask him which one produces the better picture. He is known to be super meticulous though from his testimonials and another person on the forum who got his tv calibrated by him said he was intent on making the picture right to the extent he spend 11 hours at his place. I'll let you know what he says if he has the time to take a look. If it's gonna be an 11 hr day for him then the most i'd ask him to do is eyeball it.

Kim
[email protected] is offline  
post #5013 of 5932 Old 07-06-2019, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hyrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 2,795
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Not sure why this is the case. Now everytime I turn on my tv on through my harmony remote whether I choose to watch comcast or play xbox one x, the receivers hdmi changes to the panasonic ub820. I have a 5.1.2 speaker setup with a yamaha that is capable to support 7.2. When I click on watch roku or watch smart hub it is fine. I would normally just change it back but when i manually change it back the audio skips and there is intermittent snow on the screen. Does anyone know how to fix this so if it changes to anything it is just the tv audio input.
Just asking here because I figure some of you guys have experienced this. Thanks!
I don't have any of your playback devices, but I do have a Harmony remote. So I will guess.



My first guess is that you're not using always activities to change the inputs. The Harmony works its "magic" by remembering your last activity, and it will get out of sync if you manually select something, then turn off the TV.



If my first guess is off the mark, my second guess is that you've got HDMI CEC turned on and it is messing things up. Try turning it off on your receiver, TV, and UB820. If the problem goes away, you'll know it was the problem. If you don't know what it is, HDMI CEC is the feature that turns on your TV & Receiver when you turn on the UB820. CEC confused my Harmony, so I just turn it off whenever I get new stuff..



Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Does anyone know how to fix this so if it changes to anything it is just the tv audio input.
You might try programming all your activities so that when you press the off button, an activity will change the audio input to the TV. I'm not sure how to do that, though. I'd check the Harmony forums if it isn't easy.
MOberhardt likes this.
Hyrax is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5014 of 5932 Old 07-07-2019, 04:55 AM
Member
 
EddieVanHalen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What differences in nit output there is between the mid to high nit LCD and OLED presets? I've read I don't remember where that the preset for mid to high nit LCD everything gets toned down, if necessary, to 1000 nits, but what about OLED?
EddieVanHalen is offline  
post #5015 of 5932 Old 07-07-2019, 08:19 AM
Member
 
Yellbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Leonardo, N.J.
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Hi, I have a Sony ubp-x800 that freezes during 4K bluray playback that I just cannot tolerate anymore. How is the Panny with freezing / locking up?

Living room: Sony 75x940D, Yamaha RX-A1080 receiver, Monitor Audio 5.1 RS6 / RS Center / RS 1 rears, Outlaw EX LFM 1-Plus, XBOX One S, PS 3, Amazon Fire TV

Cave: Panasonic 65ZT60, Denon x1300w receiver, Monitor Audio RS 1 2.0, PS4, PS2, PS1, Nintendo / N64
Yellbean is offline  
post #5016 of 5932 Old 07-07-2019, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,398
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Never for me.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #5017 of 5932 Old 07-07-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I don't have any of your playback devices, but I do have a Harmony remote. So I will guess.



My first guess is that you're not using always activities to change the inputs. The Harmony works its "magic" by remembering your last activity, and it will get out of sync if you manually select something, then turn off the TV.



If my first guess is off the mark, my second guess is that you've got HDMI CEC turned on and it is messing things up. Try turning it off on your receiver, TV, and UB820. If the problem goes away, you'll know it was the problem. If you don't know what it is, HDMI CEC is the feature that turns on your TV & Receiver when you turn on the UB820. CEC confused my Harmony, so I just turn it off whenever I get new stuff..




You might try programming all your activities so that when you press the off button, an activity will change the audio input to the TV. I'm not sure how to do that, though. I'd check the Harmony forums if it isn't easy.
I was thinking that - this was why I gave up with the Harmony on my old upstairs setup, as I was using my playstations in HDMI CEC / RHID mode so I could get the receiver to start and stop the playstation. It was unworkable though when I used the Harmony with it, so I ended up sticking the harmony in the closet for 2 years - until I built my HT.
MOberhardt is offline  
post #5018 of 5932 Old 07-07-2019, 04:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
Of course! I just know I appreciated the difference when I read it from somewhere else so I thought I would as well! Ah, well good thing there’s definitely no need for both of those then as I’m sure they intended. I’m hoping someone responds to your other post soon regarding the tone mapping. I’ve read opinions on either utilizing double tone mapping or just one but I know there must be a more accurate intended usage between these settings with the tone mapping on the OLED’s and the 820 with testing and meters that some use for these purposes in standards set today.
Yah. I did that in my extensive googling. I do have someone coming to calibrate my tv tomorrow though. Super excited about it. After he finishes calibrating hdr I will have to ask him which one produces the better picture. He is known to be super meticulous though from his testimonials and another person on the forum who got his tv calibrated by him said he was intent on making the picture right to the extent he spend 11 hours at his place. I'll let you know what he says if he has the time to take a look. If it's gonna be an 11 hr day for him then the most i'd ask him to do is eyeball it.
I hope your calibration goes super well! I hope to have one someday! I so very much look forward to hearing what they had to say about the tone mapping and greatly appreciate you asking! 🙂
MeganElisabeth is offline  
post #5019 of 5932 Old 07-07-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,950
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieVanHalen View Post
What differences in nit output there is between the mid to high nit LCD and OLED presets? I've read I don't remember where that the preset for mid to high nit LCD everything gets toned down, if necessary, to 1000 nits, but what about OLED?
OLED: 1000
Super High Luminance LCD: 1500
Middle or High Luminance LCD: 1000
Basic Luminance LCD and Projector: 500

While OLED and Mid/High Luminance LCD are both 1000 nits, supposedly there is a difference in how the tone mapping is applied.
EddieVanHalen likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
post #5020 of 5932 Old 07-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Member
 
bathes2051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellbean View Post
Hi, I have a Sony ubp-x800 that freezes during 4K bluray playback that I just cannot tolerate anymore. How is the Panny with freezing / locking up?

The UB820 froze many times for me, most notably when pressing the fast-forward button several times too quickly.
When this happens, I have to get up and press the power button on the device for 10s to force a shutdown.
bathes2051 is offline  
post #5021 of 5932 Old 07-08-2019, 07:13 AM
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Panasonic UB820 does not support dolby true hd/atmos , dts master audio/dts x when playing .m2ts and .mkv files from an external usb drive, is that still true? You get downscaled dolby 5.1 and dts 5.1?
Will a firmware update correct this in future or will it always stay the same way?

This is a deal breaker for me. I have lots of hdr movie rips.

Will next year's model be able to support lossless audio on usb? I'll wait for next year's model in that case.

Note my question is strictly regarding playback from an external usb hard drive connected to the player's usb 3.0 port on the back, not regarding disc or media server playback.
Menarini is offline  
post #5022 of 5932 Old 07-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Panasonic UB820 does not support dolby true hd/atmos , dts master audio/dts x when playing .m2ts and .mkv files from an external usb drive, is that still true? You get downscaled dolby 5.1 and dts 5.1?
Will a firmware update correct this in future or will it always stay the same way?

This is a deal breaker for me. I have lots of hdr movie rips.

Will next year's model be able to support lossless audio on usb? I'll wait for next year's model in that case.

Note my question is strictly regarding playback from an external usb hard drive connected to the player's usb 3.0 port on the back, not regarding disc or media server playback.
Dude - this has been addressed a million times on this forum...the answer is still NO. As for future models, probably not but your guess is as good as ours.
C8UB820 is offline  
post #5023 of 5932 Old 07-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
 
rc-zombies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NAPA, CA
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 106
really annoying...
when play 4K disc.. the video and sound would cut out and come back on several times
during the course of a 2hr movie...
no issues watching std. BD disc.

default setting on the 820.
CEC is off
monoprice HDMI Premium certified cables all around.
connected to Marantz SR8012>>
connected to Vizio P75-F1.

is there a setting i'm missing somewhere?
rc-zombies is offline  
post #5024 of 5932 Old 07-08-2019, 10:17 AM
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8UB820 View Post
Dude - this has been addressed a million times on this forum...the answer is still NO. As for future models, probably not but your guess is as good as ours.
i was asking to see if a firmware update may have addressed it, i know at launch it did not and i havent followed this player since then. so seems like panasonic never has plans to support it on these models, the ub9000 is also like this. i'll have to wait and see next year's models, this is a glaring omission, some other brand players already do lossless audio on usb.
Menarini is offline  
post #5025 of 5932 Old 07-08-2019, 01:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
I hope your calibration goes super well! I hope to have one someday! I so very much look forward to hearing what they had to say about the tone mapping and greatly appreciate you asking! 🙂
Thanks! It did go well. Fortunately I don't have any black crush and where my panels rgb luminance was placing is rarely as accurate as he's seen. He said all the charts indicated that everything is really good and after the calibration everything was really awesome. He did an exceptional job.
He didn't have an answer regarding the dynamic tone mapping versus hdr optimzer. However before the calibration I thought the LG's dynamic tone mapping looked better than the panny's hdr optimizer. Now my eye refutes it post calibration. After my studying I have gotten the impression that you should choose one or the other, and the majority I've the opinions I have read (doesn't mean its true as all tvs are different) states the hdr optimizer is the way to go.
If you can find a good calibrator that uses calman and has a good meter and equipment I'd go for it. I would recommend making sure you are on 4.30.15 fw or a 5. something because the firmware beginning with 4 but later than 4.30.15 have black crush.

Kim
[email protected] is offline  
post #5026 of 5932 Old 07-08-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hyrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 2,795
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
i was asking to see if a firmware update may have addressed it, i know at launch it did not and i havent followed this player since then. so seems like panasonic never has plans to support it on these models, the ub9000 is also like this. i'll have to wait and see next year's models, this is a glaring omission, some other brand players already do lossless audio on usb.
I wonder if can get around this problem by attaching your USB disk drive to the router's USB port if your router has a USB port. You could then access the media on the disk as though it were on a NAS. Also Blu-Ray players have always been my last choice to use as media players. They work, but not as well as something like a NVidia Shield TV. The thing I like about using the Shield is that its reason for existing is streaming - there are almost infinite streaming channels on it compared to those on a disk player. Whereas something like the UB820's main focus will always be playing disks.

Just suggestions on how you can get what you want from streaming and buy the UHD player you want. I'm not arguing against Panasonic improving USB playback.
sschen likes this.
Hyrax is online now  
post #5027 of 5932 Old 07-08-2019, 03:07 PM
Member
 
bobbyhollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-zombies View Post
really annoying...
when play 4K disc.. the video and sound would cut out and come back on several times
during the course of a 2hr movie...
no issues watching std. BD disc.

default setting on the 820.
CEC is off
monoprice HDMI Premium certified cables all around.
connected to Marantz SR8012>>
connected to Vizio P75-F1.

is there a setting i'm missing somewhere?

This may actually be an issue with your 8012. I have had the same issue for weeks now with both my Apple TV 4K and my 4K cable box, both of which go through the 8012. Quick picture and sound blackouts of less than a couple of seconds. Sometimes no dropouts for hours, sometimes three or four within a minute. Yet I never have this problem with my Oppo 203 or the Panasonic 820, which also go through the Marantz. I have switched cables, etc etc etc. I even replaced my cable box, thinking it was a cable problem. Currently I am now in my third day of running my cable box directly into the tv, bypassing the 8012 and after three hours yesterday and two tonight I have not seen the problem. I'm really starting to think there are faulty HDMI inputs on the Marantz, which is the worst possible scenario due to the weight and size of this thing. I really don't want to drag it in for service.

Try running your 820 directly to the tv and see if the problem persists.
bobbyhollywood is offline  
post #5028 of 5932 Old 07-08-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhollywood View Post
This may actually be an issue with your 8012. I have had the same issue for weeks now with both my Apple TV 4K and my 4K cable box, both of which go through the 8012. Quick picture and sound blackouts of less than a couple of seconds. Sometimes no dropouts for hours, sometimes three or four within a minute. Yet I never have this problem with my Oppo 203 or the Panasonic 820, which also go through the Marantz. I have switched cables, etc etc etc. I even replaced my cable box, thinking it was a cable problem. Currently I am now in my third day of running my cable box directly into the tv, bypassing the 8012 and after three hours yesterday and two tonight I have not seen the problem. I'm really starting to think there are faulty HDMI inputs on the Marantz, which is the worst possible scenario due to the weight and size of this thing. I really don't want to drag it in for service.

Try running your 820 directly to the tv and see if the problem persists.
If you have one uncorrupted HDMI input in the Marantz AVR, you could always purchase an inexpensive HDMI switching box for all of your sources.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Panasonic UB820, Panasonic UB420, Oppo 103D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
docrog is online now  
post #5029 of 5932 Old 07-08-2019, 05:05 PM
Member
 
EddieVanHalen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
OLED: 1000
Super High Luminance LCD: 1500
Middle or High Luminance LCD: 1000
Basic Luminance LCD and Projector: 500

While OLED and Mid/High Luminance LCD are both 1000 nits, supposedly there is a difference in how the tone mapping is applied.

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it.
I have an inexpensive (1000 Euros back in 2017) 49" HDR Samsung set that doesn't get to 1000 nit so I have my Panasonic DP-UB420 that has the same video processing as the 820, set to Basic Luminance LCD and Projector, regarding HDR performance, is what I'm getting still better than SDR? I know I'm getting Wide Color Gamut which is the HDR feature I appreciate the most, but regarding luminance and contrast, do you think my Samsung set is performing matched with the Panasonic 420 better than an SDR set? I see some specular highlights but nothing spectacular.
What I do like about the Panasonic 420 is that it's capable to output a 4K HDR 12 bit RGB video signal that my Samsung set fully displays like if it was a 12 bit 4:4:4 signal but cleaner looking. I think Panasonic UHD BD players are top performers regarding the way they do Chroma Upsampling.
EddieVanHalen is offline  
post #5030 of 5932 Old 07-08-2019, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
I hope your calibration goes super well! I hope to have one someday! I so very much look forward to hearing what they had to say about the tone mapping and greatly appreciate you asking! 🙂
Thanks! It did go well. Fortunately I don't have any black crush and where my panels rgb luminance was placing is rarely as accurate as he's seen. He said all the charts indicated that everything is really good and after the calibration everything was really awesome. He did an exceptional job.
He didn't have an answer regarding the dynamic tone mapping versus hdr optimzer. However before the calibration I thought the LG's dynamic tone mapping looked better than the panny's hdr optimizer. Now my eye refutes it post calibration. After my studying I have gotten the impression that you should choose one or the other, and the majority I've the opinions I have read (doesn't mean its true as all tvs are different) states the hdr optimizer is the way to go.
If you can find a good calibrator that uses calman and has a good meter and equipment I'd go for it. I would recommend making sure you are on 4.30.15 fw or a 5. something because the firmware beginning with 4 but later than 4.30.15 have black crush.
I’m so glad to hear that it went so well and you’re happy with your results! 🙂 Hmm, yeah, hopefully one day someone tests it officially. Just upon my viewing I seem to notice the hdr optimizer in combination with tone mapping results in what seems like blown out highlights to me but then with only the optimizer on the lack of black detail is really detectable in some movies when both aren’t on. It’s difficult to discern which is most accurate.

I definitely hope to one day when I’m in a better location! Thanks very much for making sure I know. However, I know all about that on the C8 forum I keep up on. 🙂 I hope you’re enjoying your calibrated beauty!!
MeganElisabeth is offline  
post #5031 of 5932 Old 07-08-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Has anyone else experienced a faded large cross-hatched pattern at the bottom of the screen when playing Netflix on the 820, especially on dark cutaway scenes?

I only get it with the 820, not the PS4, so it's not my projector.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights

Last edited by Erod; 07-09-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Erod is offline  
post #5032 of 5932 Old 07-08-2019, 09:08 PM
Member
 
SoonerDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandlj View Post
I’ve got exactly the same issue and have returned back to using the ATV.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


For those having a problem with the AV sync on the netflix app with the video showing up before the audio, I have found a (possible) solution.

Got on a chat with panasonic support online. He recommended the following after suggesting other things:

"While the unit is off, press and hold OK, blue and yellow buttons on remote at the same time for more than 5 seconds. 00 RET should be on the units display. Then press the forward arrow (directional button, >) on the remote until display reads 08 FIN. Press and hold OK on remote for at least 3 seconds."

I kinda feel bad because I got in an argument that resetting the player wasn't going to do anything. What do you know? No more AV sync issues. Watched all of Stranger things season 3 and the first half of Daredevil with no problems.

Completely confused. Ordered a second unit for testing a couple weeks ago and had the same AV sync issue. Running the latest firmware. I don't understand it, but no going to question it.

Hope this helps someone.
Th601 likes this.
SoonerDoc is offline  
post #5033 of 5932 Old 07-09-2019, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Philnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Question Does the UB820 play 5.1 FLAC files in 5.1 over DLNA?

My first Blu-ray player was a Panasonic DMP-BD50. It was the first player that could internally decode DTS HD MA and output it through 5.1 analog jacks, which I needed because my AVR back then was pre-HDMI. The BD50 now lives in my daughter's system.

I moved to Oppo players (BDP93-->103-->203) because they played DVD-A and SACD disks and output DLNA playback of 5.1 FLAC files over analog or HDMI in 5.1 - AVRs fold them down to stereo when playing them over DLNA themselves. (Starting with the 103 the Oppos added the ability to be controlled as a renderer.)

But I've learned that the DP-UB820 is a better match than the Oppo 203 to my new JVC DLA-RS440 projector for HDR content due to the 820's better tone mapping developed in partnership with JVC, so I'm thinking of getting a UB820 for my theater rebuild.

I've determined from downloading its manual that the UB820 can can act as a renderer for networked music and video. But the 820's manual is thin on technical detail on this feature:

1) Is rendered network play done via DLNA? (That's my preference.)

2) When DLNA rendering a 5.1 FLAC file over HDMI to an AVR, does the UB820 output 5.1 or stereo?

Thanks.


Last edited by Philnick; 07-09-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Philnick is offline  
post #5034 of 5932 Old 07-09-2019, 06:22 AM
Member
 
woodhead2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Northern Mn
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
For those having a problem with the AV sync on the netflix app with the video showing up before the audio, I have found a (possible) solution.

Got on a chat with panasonic support online. He recommended the following after suggesting other things:

"While the unit is off, press and hold OK, blue and yellow buttons on remote at the same time for more than 5 seconds. 00 RET should be on the units display. Then press the forward arrow (directional button, >) on the remote until display reads 08 FIN. Press and hold OK on remote for at least 3 seconds."

I kinda feel bad because I got in an argument that resetting the player wasn't going to do anything. What do you know? No more AV sync issues. Watched all of Stranger things season 3 and the first half of Daredevil with no problems.

Completely confused. Ordered a second unit for testing a couple weeks ago and had the same AV sync issue. Running the latest firmware. I don't understand it, but no going to question it.

Hope this helps someone.
Did you happen to ask about Amazon Prime stuttering?
woodhead2 is offline  
post #5035 of 5932 Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
 
rc-zombies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NAPA, CA
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhollywood View Post
This may actually be an issue with your 8012. I have had the same issue for weeks now with both my Apple TV 4K and my 4K cable box, both of which go through the 8012. Quick picture and sound blackouts of less than a couple of seconds. Sometimes no dropouts for hours, sometimes three or four within a minute. Yet I never have this problem with my Oppo 203 or the Panasonic 820, which also go through the Marantz. I have switched cables, etc etc etc. I even replaced my cable box, thinking it was a cable problem. Currently I am now in my third day of running my cable box directly into the tv, bypassing the 8012 and after three hours yesterday and two tonight I have not seen the problem. I'm really starting to think there are faulty HDMI inputs on the Marantz, which is the worst possible scenario due to the weight and size of this thing. I really don't want to drag it in for service.

Try running your 820 directly to the tv and see if the problem persists.
thanks!
i'll try the dual HDMI cable for separate video and audio...
wish the Apple TV 4K had dual HDMI outputs...

funny thing is..it had less dropouts before the IMAX enhanced update.
radamo likes this.
rc-zombies is offline  
post #5036 of 5932 Old 07-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Senior Member
 
lwhitefl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Palm City, Florida, US
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the 820 bring any PQ improvement using a second generation e-shift JVC projector (R66) watching NetFlix blu-ray discs?

Len
Acoustic Frontiers Room Design; Raidho D3 speakers; Jeff Rowland Corus preamp & 625 amp; EMM Labs XDS1 v2 CD/SACD player; JL Audio F212v2 sub; JL Audio CR-1 crossover; JVC DLA RS66U projector; DA-LITE/JKP Affinity Screen; Solidtech ROS w/Ultrasonic shelving; Nordost/Ansuz cabling, Ti Pulsar Points, QB4 power distributor; Quantum QX4 power conditioner
lwhitefl is offline  
post #5037 of 5932 Old 07-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Has anyone else experienced a faded large cross-hatched pattern at the bottom of the screen when playing Netflix on the 820, especially on dark cutaway scenes?

I only get it with the 820, not the PS4, so it's not my projector.
Yes I noticed it too the other night while watching Stranger Things. I also was getting a thinner line at the top of my screen on some scenes. I switched over to my Apple TV and no problems.
Hawks07 is offline  
post #5038 of 5932 Old 07-09-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dan webster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: western mass.
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Has anyone else experienced a faded large cross-hatched pattern at the bottom of the screen when playing Netflix on the 820, especially on dark cutaway scenes?

I only get it with the 820, not the PS4, so it's not my projector.
Funny i was just about to post about this exact same thing. This just started recently. Its a horizontal and vertical bar pattern its only visible on a light scene. Its only on netflix not on any of the other streaming apps or discs on the 820. Nothing else in my system does anything like this. Lets hope a firmware update fixes this as well as the sync issue.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS3000 projector
silver ticket 125 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
dan webster is offline  
post #5039 of 5932 Old 07-09-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks07 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Has anyone else experienced a faded large cross-hatched pattern at the bottom of the screen when playing Netflix on the 820, especially on dark cutaway scenes?

I only get it with the 820, not the PS4, so it's not my projector.
Yes I noticed it too the other night while watching Stranger Things. I also was getting a thinner line at the top of my screen on some scenes. I switched over to my Apple TV and no problems.
Ok, thanks. Just ordered a Roku Ultra.

Great player, but horrible steamer.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #5040 of 5932 Old 07-09-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Has anyone else experienced a faded large cross-hatched pattern at the bottom of the screen when playing Netflix on the 820, especially on dark cutaway scenes?

I only get it with the 820, not the PS4, so it's not my projector.
Funny i was just about to post about this exact same thing. This just started recently. Its a horizontal and vertical bar pattern its only visible on a light scene. Its only on netflix not on any of the other streaming apps or discs on the 820. Nothing else in my system does anything like this. Lets hope a firmware update fixes this as well as the sync issue.
And it can't play Amazon HDR movies either. Stutters constantly. I'm just going to go with Roku so I can get HDR and Atmos.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off