Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 169 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5046Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5041 of 6013 Old 07-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I don't have any of your playback devices, but I do have a Harmony remote. So I will guess.



My first guess is that you're not using always activities to change the inputs. The Harmony works its "magic" by remembering your last activity, and it will get out of sync if you manually select something, then turn off the TV.



If my first guess is off the mark, my second guess is that you've got HDMI CEC turned on and it is messing things up. Try turning it off on your receiver, TV, and UB820. If the problem goes away, you'll know it was the problem. If you don't know what it is, HDMI CEC is the feature that turns on your TV & Receiver when you turn on the UB820. CEC confused my Harmony, so I just turn it off whenever I get new stuff..




You might try programming all your activities so that when you press the off button, an activity will change the audio input to the TV. I'm not sure how to do that, though. I'd check the Harmony forums if it isn't easy.
Thanks for the response! It is the CEC. The only problem with turning CEC off is that I watch Amazon and Netflix on my LG's smart hub since they both support Dolby Vision and Atmos. With the CEC off I don't get any order when listening to my tv with my HDMI control on. I don't have a solution but a workaround. I just put my tv audios receiver input and cable tvs receiver input on the touch screen on my 'watch comcast' activity. Its annoying but it'll do.

Kim
[email protected] is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5042 of 6013 Old 07-09-2019, 12:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
I’m so glad to hear that it went so well and you’re happy with your results! 🙂 Hmm, yeah, hopefully one day someone tests it officially. Just upon my viewing I seem to notice the hdr optimizer in combination with tone mapping results in what seems like blown out highlights to me but then with only the optimizer on the lack of black detail is really detectable in some movies when both aren’t on. It’s difficult to discern which is most accurate.

I definitely hope to one day when I’m in a better location! Thanks very much for making sure I know. However, I know all about that on the C8 forum I keep up on. 🙂 I hope you’re enjoying your calibrated beauty!!
Yes, I am! It is the summer so I'm not watching as much tv as I do when the weather isn't quite as warm, but it looks super awesome. I watched Wimbledon under the bright setting and the color balance was terrific and everything looked real. When sampling a movie on cable from HBO the picture looked so terrific too. I was surprised to see that because usually dark scenes aren't so clear on cable tv.
I think a lot of calibrators do tours. In the calibration thread it is worth asking if someone will come to your area. With the fw update coming up along with a black crush fix it really is worth paying the money for imo.

Kim
[email protected] is offline  
post #5043 of 6013 Old 07-09-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hyrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks for the response! It is the CEC. The only problem with turning CEC off is that I watch Amazon and Netflix on my LG's smart hub since they both support Dolby Vision and Atmos. With the CEC off I don't get any [audio] when listening to my tv with my HDMI control on. I don't have a solution but a workaround. I just put my tv audios receiver input and cable tvs receiver input on the touch screen on my 'watch comcast' activity. Its annoying but it'll do.
You should be able to create an activity that does that automatically - an activity for the Smart Hub that turns on the TV, then sets the TV output to its eARC HDMI out, turns on the receiver and then sets its input appropriately.
Hyrax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5044 of 6013 Old 07-09-2019, 04:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Ok, thanks. Just ordered a Roku Ultra.

Great player, but horrible steamer.
Yeah, after this issue I have given up on Netflix with this player as well. Actually it was the first time in a long time that I have done any back and forth comparison between Netflix on the Panny and the Apple TV with my custom curves and I like the picture slightly better with the Apple TV plus curves.
Hawks07 is offline  
post #5045 of 6013 Old 07-09-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks07 View Post
Yeah, after this issue I have given up on Netflix with this player as well. Actually it was the first time in a long time that I have done any back and forth comparison between Netflix on the Panny and the Apple TV with my custom curves and I like the picture slightly better with the Apple TV plus curves.
I don't know if you have a current JVC 4K projector, but, for me, there's no doubt that double tone mapping (UB820 with Optimizer enabled, JVC projector with Auto Tone Mapping) is superior to using custom (Panasonic) curves with the UB820's Optimizer. My "go to" demo Netflix segment to show optimal HDR is the beginning of "Altered Carbon" (season 1, episode 2: "Fallen Angel"). IMHO, it is significantly better for the minimalization of white clipping and black crush than with the ATV4K.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Panasonic UB820, Panasonic UB420, Oppo 103D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
docrog is online now  
post #5046 of 6013 Old 07-09-2019, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
I’m so glad to hear that it went so well and you’re happy with your results! 🙂 Hmm, yeah, hopefully one day someone tests it officially. Just upon my viewing I seem to notice the hdr optimizer in combination with tone mapping results in what seems like blown out highlights to me but then with only the optimizer on the lack of black detail is really detectable in some movies when both aren’t on. It’s difficult to discern which is most accurate.

I definitely hope to one day when I’m in a better location! Thanks very much for making sure I know. However, I know all about that on the C8 forum I keep up on. 🙂 I hope you’re enjoying your calibrated beauty!!
Yes, I am! It is the summer so I'm not watching as much tv as I do when the weather isn't quite as warm, but it looks super awesome. I watched Wimbledon under the bright setting and the color balance was terrific and everything looked real. When sampling a movie on cable from HBO the picture looked so terrific too. I was surprised to see that because usually dark scenes aren't so clear on cable tv.
I think a lot of calibrators do tours. In the calibration thread it is worth asking if someone will come to your area. With the fw update coming up along with a black crush fix it really is worth paying the money for imo.
I’m so glad to hear that! Wow it must be good for cable TV dark scenes to look clear! Yeah I’ve tries looking for the thread but there are so many. I’m in the middle of nowhere so I’m doubtful. Absolutely agree! I would love to be able to enjoy the TV to its fullest extent for sure.

On a side note to everyone on this forum: I’ve never called in to Panasonic or anything. Would calling in for DV being too bright so any good or not really in hopes of a fix?
MeganElisabeth is offline  
post #5047 of 6013 Old 07-09-2019, 06:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
I’m so glad to hear that! Wow it must be good for cable TV dark scenes to look clear! Yeah I’ve tries looking for the thread but there are so many. I’m in the middle of nowhere so I’m doubtful. Absolutely agree! I would love to be able to enjoy the TV to its fullest extent for sure.

On a side note to everyone on this forum: I’ve never called in to Panasonic or anything. Would calling in for DV being too bright so any good or not really in hopes of a fix?
Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? You might be surprised. Try the below link. I like how in the url it says 'ISF calibrators, where are you?' hehe
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...post-here.html
Regarding your question, if you want the brightness to be similar to SDR then I would turn 'Power Saving' off on your LG tv. If that isn't bright enough for you I think the only other option is to adjust the OLED light. The tv is locked in at 2.2 gamma, but a calibration can change that although that might not be an option for you. Whatever you do don't get a Best Buy calibration! I hear it is awful, and my calibrator was telling me how he saw a calibrated tv in a Best Buy store from one of their expert ISF calibrators, showed him how he didn't account for the LED's blue backlight, which caused RGB balance to be very off. The noncalibrated tv was much better than the incorrectly calibrated tv according to him.

Kim

Last edited by [email protected]; 07-09-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: adding link
[email protected] is offline  
post #5048 of 6013 Old 07-09-2019, 06:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
You should be able to create an activity that does that automatically - an activity for the Smart Hub that turns on the TV, then sets the TV output to its eARC HDMI out, turns on the receiver and then sets its input appropriately.
Hyrax, I should have been more clear in my initial post. I have a Harmony activity for 'Watch Comcast' which is
1) LG TV Power On
2) Yamaha AV Receiver Power On
3) Xfinity DVR Power On
LG TV HDMI 2 (ARC)
Yamaha AV Receiver Input HDMI 1 (Input connects to the Comcast cable box)

Everything turns on as intended and the Receiver also goes to Input HDMI 1 as intended. The issue is right after the receiver is on Input HDMI 1 it immediately switches to Input HDMI 5 (Panasonic UB820 is connected).

My home theater installation guy setup my receiver with the watching sources of the xbox one x (input 3), home hub (audio2), and the xfinity cable box (input 1). He told me because when the tv is turned on it automatically switches to audio2 due to the CEC and I have to add a delay.
Before adding the Panasonic I added a Roku. I tried a delay after getting a Roku because the receiver would switch to the ROKU hdmi input after the receiver got to the intended HDMI input, and after adding the Panasonic the receiver would switch to the Panasonic HDMI input after the receiver got to the intended HDMI input. Unfortunately the delay doesn't work.

Therefore I'm wondering if this is just something I have to live with, or is there a way to program the remote so I don't have to keep on clicking on different input buttons.

Kim

Last edited by [email protected]; 07-09-2019 at 07:12 PM.
[email protected] is offline  
post #5049 of 6013 Old 07-10-2019, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
radamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-zombies View Post
thanks!
i'll try the dual HDMI cable for separate video and audio...
wish the Apple TV 4K had dual HDMI outputs...

funny thing is..it had less dropouts before the IMAX enhanced update.

I also wish the Apple TV 4K had two HDMI outputs... I really don't want to upgrade my receiver... but may have to.
smitty likes this.
radamo is offline  
post #5050 of 6013 Old 07-10-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
I don't know if you have a current JVC 4K projector, but, for me, there's no doubt that double tone mapping (UB820 with Optimizer enabled, JVC projector with Auto Tone Mapping) is superior to using custom (Panasonic) curves with the UB820's Optimizer. My "go to" demo Netflix segment to show optimal HDR is the beginning of "Altered Carbon" (season 1, episode 2: "Fallen Angel"). IMHO, it is significantly better for the minimalization of white clipping and black crush than with the ATV4K.
But the problem with that is, the ub820 can't play Amazon Prime HDR movies without stutter, and the Netflix app is casting a faded grid over certain movies such as The Highwaymen. Not to mention the myriad of issues surround those new JVC projectors. I know three people that have those projectors, and it's been a nightmare of issues so far for all three of them. Even a good unit lacks the black levels JVC is known for, so I'm going to wait another generation or two.

And a Roku can play Atmos, where the ub820 can not from what I've seen.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #5051 of 6013 Old 07-10-2019, 06:58 AM
Member
 
monkaquinas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
But the problem with that is, the ub820 can't play Amazon Prime HDR movies without stutter, and the Netflix app is casting a faded grid over certain movies such as The Highwaymen. Not to mention the myriad of issues surround those new JVC projectors. I know three people that have those projectors, and it's been a nightmare of issues so far for all three of them. Even a good unit lacks the black levels JVC is known for, so I'm going to wait another generation or two.

And a Roku can play Atmos, where the ub820 can not from what I've seen.
I get Atmos with Netflix, shows like Triple Frontier and F1. I haven't noticed any grid patterns and I did binge ST3. I'll have to try The Highwayman, any particular episode or scene? I am outputting SDR BT2020 to my Epson 5040, so I'm not getting HDR for Netflix.

Epson5040UB - DragonFly DFM Tab 92HC High Contrast (.9 gain) 16:9 Screen - Denon AVRS740H - Klipsch Quintet V +
Klipsch KHC-6 In-Ceiling (Atmos 5.2.2) with Polk PSW110 Sub & Monoprice Premium Select 8" Sub (via iFinity Wireless Audio) - Panasonic UB820 - PS3
monkaquinas is offline  
post #5052 of 6013 Old 07-10-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,960
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked: 2175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
But the problem with that is, the ub820 can't play Amazon Prime HDR movies without stutter, and the Netflix app is casting a faded grid over certain movies such as The Highwaymen. Not to mention the myriad of issues surround those new JVC projectors. I know three people that have those projectors, and it's been a nightmare of issues so far for all three of them. Even a good unit lacks the black levels JVC is known for, so I'm going to wait another generation or two.

And a Roku can play Atmos, where the ub820 can not from what I've seen.
I don't have stutter or buffering from Amazon any more. I did initially but don't know what fixed it.

I don't see any grid lines from Netflix on my JVC RS500.

I get Atmos from Netflix to my Denon X6400H.

HDR Optimizer tone mapping makes up for its other deficiencies such as forced 4K60 for streaming.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 07-10-2019 at 09:50 AM.
claw is online now  
post #5053 of 6013 Old 07-10-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
But the problem with that is, the ub820 can't play Amazon Prime HDR movies without stutter, and the Netflix app is casting a faded grid over certain movies such as The Highwaymen. Not to mention the myriad of issues surround those new JVC projectors. I know three people that have those projectors, and it's been a nightmare of issues so far for all three of them. Even a good unit lacks the black levels JVC is known for, so I'm going to wait another generation or two.

And a Roku can play Atmos, where the ub820 can not from what I've seen.
Anthem is one of the brands/models that currently don't appear to "unpack" Atmos from DD+ via the UB420/820/9000 Netflix app. Several generations of Denon/Marantz AVRs and the Yamaha RX-A3080 are able to achieve Netflix Atmos from the Panasonic player's app. I've never had any problems with my NX7 and the Netflix app continues to be rock solid with no grid overlays or other deterioration of the HDR image. However, unlike a recent posting here by @claw , I continue to get occasional stuttering (judder) when streaming HDR Amazon Video. This aberration is markedly reduced when compared to several months ago (when it was unwatchable) and, hopefully, will eventually be corrected.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Panasonic UB820, Panasonic UB420, Oppo 103D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12

Last edited by docrog; 07-10-2019 at 11:44 AM.
docrog is online now  
post #5054 of 6013 Old 07-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Member
 
majicx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Panasonic customer service

Has anyone contacted PANASONIC SUPPORT? If so were you satisfied? I tried yesterday with no success.
majicx is offline  
post #5055 of 6013 Old 07-10-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaquinas View Post
I get Atmos with Netflix, shows like Triple Frontier and F1. I haven't noticed any grid patterns and I did binge ST3. I'll have to try The Highwayman, any particular episode or scene? I am outputting SDR BT2020 to my Epson 5040, so I'm not getting HDR for Netflix.
It's very faint. Kind of blocky on the bottom portion of the screen, and it shows up during monochrome scene. Hard to describe. Others have confirmed this.

It's not like it ruins movies because most of the time you don't notice. But if you catch a horizon scene, you can faintly see the outline of a blocky grid.

I'm going to hook up a Roku tonight to see if I like it.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #5056 of 6013 Old 07-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Member
 
majicx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
And it can't play Amazon HDR movies either. Stutters constantly. I'm just going to go with Roku so I can get HDR and Atmos.
I had the same problem. I did a factory reset and it solved it. With that said I have only seen two since then.
majicx is offline  
post #5057 of 6013 Old 07-10-2019, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
I’️m so glad to hear that! Wow it must be good for cable TV dark scenes to look clear! Yeah I’️ve tries looking for the thread but there are so many. I’️m in the middle of nowhere so I’️m doubtful. Absolutely agree! I would love to be able to enjoy the TV to its fullest extent for sure.

On a side note to everyone on this forum: I’️ve never called in to Panasonic or anything. Would calling in for DV being too bright so any good or not really in hopes of a fix?
Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? You might be surprised. Try the below link. I like how in the url it says 'ISF calibrators, where are you?' hehe
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...post-here.html
Regarding your question, if you want the brightness to be similar to SDR then I would turn 'Power Saving' off on your LG tv. If that isn't bright enough for you I think the only other option is to adjust the OLED light. The tv is locked in at 2.2 gamma, but a calibration can change that although that might not be an option for you. Whatever you do don't get a Best Buy calibration! I hear it is awful, and my calibrator was telling me how he saw a calibrated tv in a Best Buy store from one of their expert ISF calibrators, showed him how he didn't account for the LED's blue backlight, which caused RGB balance to be very off. The noncalibrated tv was much better than the incorrectly calibrated tv according to him.
A small town in Iowa. I’ve never seen anyone in Iowa posting about calibration. Oh thanks so much for posting that link for me! Oh yeah no I was talking about the problem that’s been posted for DV not being accurate for HDR. Oh yikes. Yeah I’ve heard they’re pretty horrible. I considered it before but good thing I didn’t and plus they won’t come to me anyways. Lol It’s horrible they get away with people that don’t know better.
MeganElisabeth is offline  
post #5058 of 6013 Old 07-11-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicx View Post
I had the same problem. I did a factory reset and it solved it. With that said I have only seen two since then.
I may try that.

I hooked up the new Roku last night, and I absolutey love everything about, except I don't have the tone mapping or the dynamic slider of the 820 for SDR2020 on my projector. I have to use my ChadB-calibrated HDR setting, which is still a touch too dark. If only I could use that slider because I don't like to use high power lamp.

It does give me surround sound for HBO GO, which the PS4 does not, and it's so much easier to navigate for YouTube and non-HDR content on Netflix and Prime. I did get a kick of hearing Atmos on Jack Ryan.

And of course, there are tons more streaming apps you can access with it, so for $70 and no additional subscription fees, it's still well worth adding to the cabinet.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #5059 of 6013 Old 07-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I just got my Panasonic UB820. Is there a setting for playing disks that are encoded with Atmos.
I have the Blu-ray version of Green Mile, and my Anthem shows that it is Atmos yet I don't believe the disk is actually playing in Atmos. I looked in the Panasonic set up settings and I did not see anything about enabling Atmos. Thanks
bokap is offline  
post #5060 of 6013 Old 07-11-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
I just got my Panasonic UB820. Is there a setting for playing disks that are encoded with Atmos.
I have the Blu-ray version of Green Mile, and my Anthem shows that it is Atmos yet I don't believe the disk is actually playing in Atmos. I looked in the Panasonic set up settings and I did not see anything about enabling Atmos. Thanks
That is bizarre. I am not aware of any version of that disc with Atmos - even the Diamond Luxe (the Diamond Luxe Gravity has Atmos)!

Anthem (I have an 1120) sounds great and the ARC genesis is great, but man they are a bit cantankerous. The network capability of it is just garbage. Wifi and LAN are both junk. I have to turn it on, unplug, and replug it into the router to get it to connect. I've also got the issue with Fast and Furious 6 and 7 not playing in DTS:X. Apparently they had fixed that with firmware 1.4.080, but in the current one, 095, it is not working again.
MOberhardt is online now  
post #5061 of 6013 Old 07-11-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dan webster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: western mass.
Posts: 1,221
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I gave up on this for streraming. I just installed a roku ultra today and it is actually pretty amazing. Fast fast fast no buffering or studdering on all the content i have tried so far.
MOberhardt likes this.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS3000 projector
silver ticket 125 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
dan webster is online now  
post #5062 of 6013 Old 07-12-2019, 06:48 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 8,371
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
I gave up on this for streraming. I just installed a roku ultra today and it is actually pretty amazing. Fast fast fast no buffering or studdering on all the content i have tried so far.
Moving foward, I think they need to remove apps from disc players and focus on a/v processing capabilties, DAC quality, Bluetooth T/X to multiple headphones, and rock solid home network media file playback.

App development and maintenance is hard and expensive, with ever increasing complexity moving forward to keep up with A/V and HDCP standards.

Dedicated streamers like Roku and Fire sticks/boxes are the Way Forward for stream apps/devices.

Same issue with apps on TV's- if the model/maker doesn't want to update the apps in the future, you'll have to bail and get a stream device anyways.

Basically Roku has become the standard "TV OS", with Fire a runnerup. My Roku boxes, sticks and 2 TCl Roku 4K HDR Tv's can attest. Developers need to target a small number of OS/hardware platforms with the most market share.

Since Amazon does Fire, and they don't like Google, always issues with Google apps like basic Youtube on Fire. Plus the DoJ will probabky come for Amazon re: monolpoly posiition and unfair advantage re: streaming moving forward. Roku is independant of Amazon and Google.

Always thought Android TV would take over, but monopoly claims from courts/govt's worldwide probaly stemmed that tide.

..and Roku stock hasn't fared too bad the past 6 months


...Panasonic and others could also just throw in a Roku stick in the box or outsource the built in apps to Roku OS like a TCL Roku TV.

Last edited by Rgb; 07-12-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Rgb is online now  
post #5063 of 6013 Old 07-12-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
I gave up on this for streraming. I just installed a roku ultra today and it is actually pretty amazing. Fast fast fast no buffering or studdering on all the content i have tried so far.
It's awesome unless you try to stream HDR on a projector. No tone mapping like the 820, so you can't get a good picture with SDR2020, and no dynamic slider to brighten up HDR2020.
MOberhardt likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #5064 of 6013 Old 07-12-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dan webster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: western mass.
Posts: 1,221
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
It's awesome unless you try to stream HDR on a projector. No tone mapping like the 820, so you can't get a good picture with SDR2020, and no dynamic slider to brighten up HDR2020.
Very true. Netflix hrd is really the only thing that could look better with the roku and my jvc projector. I do have some custom settings which do help. oh well the search for perfect picture and sound continues.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS3000 projector
silver ticket 125 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
dan webster is online now  
post #5065 of 6013 Old 07-12-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,082
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
@dan Webster, I thought that HDR on NETFLIX looks pretty good using the 820, and it loads for me just as quick as the Roku does.
lizrussspike is offline  
post #5066 of 6013 Old 07-12-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,960
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked: 2175
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@dan Webster, I thought that HDR on NETFLIX looks pretty good using the 820, and it loads for me just as quick as the Roku does.
The HDR Optimizer does a great job with all of those dark Netflix HDR titles.
GeneD5 likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is online now  
post #5067 of 6013 Old 07-12-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
Very true. Netflix hrd is really the only thing that could look better with the roku and my jvc projector. I do have some custom settings which do help. oh well the search for perfect picture and sound continues.
What's your issue regarding sound from the UB820's Netflix app? Your Yamaha RA-5200 should be capable of achieving Atmos from appropriate Netflix titles (my RX-A3080 does). And you should be able to get excellent SDR BT.2020 for your JVC PJ.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Panasonic UB820, Panasonic UB420, Oppo 103D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
docrog is online now  
post #5068 of 6013 Old 07-12-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,082
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
The HDR Optimizer does a great job with all of those dark Netflix HDR titles.
Thanks to you @claw !
lizrussspike is offline  
post #5069 of 6013 Old 07-12-2019, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
freshmanjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
I did check another disk, Fantastic Beasts, and it was also 60p BT 709, before I magically fixed it. And with the 4K60p setting turned off, Black Panther did finally play in 24p BT .2020, as I am pretty sure it should. I am pretty sure that before the update, I had the 4K60p setting on and it all worked, but I don't think that 4K 60p mode was ever used as I don't have any disks that use 60p. My Apple TV, yes, disks, no. Now, I seemed to need to turn off 4K60p on the 820 to get the 24Hz 2020 mode to work. Once my Movie Night is over, I'll try a few more combination of settings and see what happens.

I agree that having such a mishmash of formats on a single disk is a PITA.
Did you figure out what happened with this? I had exact same thing happen to me after installing latest firmware upgrade. No matter what I play, I'm getting only bt.709 and no hdr. Thanks for any help!
freshmanjs is offline  
post #5070 of 6013 Old 07-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
shs1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central Sierra Nevada
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
Did you figure out what happened with this? I had exact same thing happen to me after installing latest firmware upgrade. No matter what I play, I'm getting only bt.709 and no hdr. Thanks for any help!
I have not seen the issue since my last post, but I have a movie night coming up tomorrow night and the theater will be at capacity. Perfect time for a failure!

Edit: I did check the DVD we plan to watch and all was well – 4K. I am certainly not going to upgrade firmware or change any setting between now and tomorrow evening.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.

Last edited by shs1234; 07-12-2019 at 05:31 PM.
shs1234 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k blu-ray player , blu-ray player , blu-ray settings , panasonic ub820

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off