Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5528Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #511 of 7324 Old 08-16-2018, 01:10 PM
ISF III Calibrator
 
Evan201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
OK, I hate all you guys. You're not good on my wallet

Whoops. Tell your wallet my bad. You're not going to regret the purchase.

ISF III Certified Calibrator
Evan201 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #512 of 7324 Old 08-16-2018, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan201 View Post
Whoops. Tell your wallet my bad. You're not going to regret the purchase.
I'm sure it's a great player. Just won't believe it's markedly better for my setup than my ub900 already is until I see it with my own eyes.

I hope it is though.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #513 of 7324 Old 08-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
annisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Watched original avengers 4K uhd last night... simply amazing on this 820, breath taking actually. Didn't stop to pause the movie and see how much the optimizer was helping but there are a ton of scenes where I'm sure it was helping. It's just one of those films where explosions and lightning effects are all over the place, a perfect environment for the 820 to shine.
bigzee3 and am2model3 like this.

LG B6 (Chad B. calibrated)
Yamaha 681 AVR
Polk Audio 3.1.2 Atmos
Panasonic UB820
Custom HTPC/Emby WMC/MPC-BE/MadVR
annisman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #514 of 7324 Old 08-16-2018, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,152
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@curlyjive , what projector are you using with the 820?
Jvc rs4910. It can do eshift psuedo 4k and with the bt2020 profile installed, about 85% of p3. So sdr bt2020 from the 820 plus an hdfury integral to handle hdcp/hdmi handshake is working really well for me. Far better than the oppo 203 and better than the ub900.
curlyjive is offline  
post #515 of 7324 Old 08-16-2018, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,583
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 2167
Thanks for getting back @curlyjive . I have an RS420, and looking at this to use without any HD FURY device.
lizrussspike is offline  
post #516 of 7324 Old 08-16-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,627
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
(1) the optimizer can adjust from scene to scene as needed...
I'd like this clarified: it was my understanding that the UB820 can modify its tone mapping according to a given disc's metadata, effectively giving you multiple versions of Arve's curves. So different discs will result in different tone mapping settings, but it's one setting per disc, so to speak.

But I didn't think it makes scene to scene adjustments, which would require HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, neither of which are possible on current JVC projectors.

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is online now  
post #517 of 7324 Old 08-16-2018, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
(1) the optimizer can adjust from scene to scene as needed...
I'd like this clarified: it was my understanding that the UB820 can modify its tone mapping according to a given disc's metadata, effectively giving you multiple versions of Arve's curves. So different discs will result in different tone mapping settings, but it's one setting per disc, so to speak.

But I didn't think it makes scene to scene adjustments, which would require HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, neither of which are possible on current JVC projectors.
It's my understanding that the optimizer handles the scene to scene adjustments, so the projector doesn't have to.

I could be wrong.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #518 of 7324 Old 08-16-2018, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13,155
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5622 Post(s)
Liked: 6097
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I'd like this clarified: it was my understanding that the UB820 can modify its tone mapping according to a given disc's metadata, effectively giving you multiple versions of Arve's curves. So different discs will result in different tone mapping settings, but it's one setting per disc, so to speak.

But I didn't think it makes scene to scene adjustments, which would require HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, neither of which are possible on current JVC projectors.
that is correct, it does not adjust scene by scene...
zombie10k is online now  
post #519 of 7324 Old 08-16-2018, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,861
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
If your running the 820 with a late model jvc projector, I'd love to hear more about your approach to calibrating with the 820.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - Vertex2 - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
post #520 of 7324 Old 08-16-2018, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,590
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Jvc rs4910. It can do eshift psuedo 4k and with the bt2020 profile installed, about 85% of p3. So sdr bt2020 from the 820 plus an hdfury integral to handle hdcp/hdmi handshake is working really well for me. Far better than the oppo 203 and better than the ub900.
Why is the Integral still required? I thought using the 820 BT2020 it would not be needed on a JVC projector? I have an X750R, so it is one series newer than your 4910. I do want to make sure the dynamic iris still works however viewing 4K material.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro,Yamaha MX-A5000 Amps x2,Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x2,Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, DT UIW94/A x4, (Atmos) Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
StevenC56 is offline  
post #521 of 7324 Old 08-16-2018, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,583
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 2167
sent you a pm @zombie10k
lizrussspike is offline  
post #522 of 7324 Old 08-16-2018, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan201 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
OK, I hate all you guys. You're not good on my wallet[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Whoops. Tell your wallet my bad. You're not going to regret the purchase.
Did you use the Masciola patterns to set the white and black tones on the optimizer, or for your display?

My projector was calibrated my Chad B , which is far more precise than what I can do myself with patterns.

I'm wondering if those optimizer black/white settings themselves can be calibrated, or just eye-balled.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #523 of 7324 Old 08-16-2018, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,152
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Jvc rs4910. It can do eshift psuedo 4k and with the bt2020 profile installed, about 85% of p3. So sdr bt2020 from the 820 plus an hdfury integral to handle hdcp/hdmi handshake is working really well for me. Far better than the oppo 203 and better than the ub900.
Why is the Integral still required? I thought using the 820 BT2020 it would not be needed on a JVC projector? I have an X750R, so it is one series newer than your 4910. I do want to make sure the dynamic iris still works however viewing 4K material.
I need it because my projector is hdmi hdcp compliant.
curlyjive is offline  
post #524 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 04:35 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=Evan201;56649108]Loving every minute of the HDR optimized Infinity War on the 820/Epson 5040.

Epson Dynamic Range set to "auto" with these 820 settings.



Can I please ask you what other settings do you have on the Epson?

Thanks
nofish is offline  
post #525 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobbino421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 874
So how does the 820 compare in straight up PQ with the Oppo 203 and the Panasonic 900 so far? If you had to rank them? I have both of the latter and I’m waiting to see if the 9000 gets released in the US? If not I’ll get 820.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Denon X4500H AVR
Klipsch 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos with Martin Logan 1000W SUB
bobbino421 is offline  
post #526 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,340
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6140
Id take the 820 over the other two. HDR Opt is the trump card if you need it, and it works on Netflix HDR (which looks excellent BTW).
Bytehoven likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
Panasonic UB820 / ATV4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #527 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,152
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
So how does the 820 compare in straight up PQ with the Oppo 203 and the Panasonic 900 so far? If you had to rank them? I have both of the latter and I’m waiting to see if the 9000 gets released in the US? If not I’ll get 820.
I've had all three. If you are just doing straight HDR output and do not need tone mapping either for HDR or SDR, then I'd probably go with the 203 just because of the build quality. Their tone mapping is awful and they still are having issues actually outputting the BT2020 color space in SDR. However, most HDR displays still benefit from the 820's HDR optimizer, so really for most the 820 is probably the better choice.

If you need to SDR tone mapping or your display doesn't handle mapping well, the 820 is hands down the best choice.

The ub900 is good, but since there is really no reason to choose it over the 820, since it doesn't have all the tone mapping settings nor does it have/will it get Dolby Vision or HDR10+.

The UB9000 is set for October release at VE is taking reservations I think. I'd love to have that instead of the 820, but only for looks. I don't need the higher end audio section. So that's a call you'd have to make since it cost double the 820.
Bahn Yuki likes this.
curlyjive is offline  
post #528 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,340
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6140
Another to consider, you can sell a 203 for $750, buy an 820, and pocket $250 and actually have Netflix on board.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
Panasonic UB820 / ATV4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #529 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobbino421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 874
I like to mess around with the HDR for streaming not so much for disc and I actually like the Panasonic ui so I may keep the 900 for another room so I’m really deciding if should keep the 203? I bought it for Sony DV tv for when I get one my 930C obviously does not do DV

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Denon X4500H AVR
Klipsch 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos with Martin Logan 1000W SUB
bobbino421 is offline  
post #530 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 06:01 AM
Senior Member
 
steevo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Another to consider, you can sell a 203 for $750, buy an 820, and pocket $250 and actually have Netflix on board.

Or buy the UB200 if you dont need Dolby Vision for 249 or so...

Some guy
steevo123 is offline  
post #531 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobbino421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Another to consider, you can sell a 203 for $750, buy an 820, and pocket $250 and actually have Netflix on board.

Or buy the UB200 if you dont need Dolby Vision for 249 or so...
If I buy another player it has to have DV and work with Sony otherwise I’ll keep the 203 so it’s basically wait and see for the updates. Since I don’t have a DV TV yet (waiting for the Z9F) I use my Panasonic 900 most of the time anyway. The 203 was a just case purchase and possible investment.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Denon X4500H AVR
Klipsch 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos with Martin Logan 1000W SUB
bobbino421 is offline  
post #532 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
If I buy another player it has to have DV and work with Sony otherwise I’ll keep the 203 so it’s basically wait and see for the updates. Since I don’t have a DV TV yet (waiting for the Z9F) I use my Panasonic 900 most of the time anyway. The 203 was a just case purchase and possible investment.
I’d keep the 203 regardless for its media player ability but each person has their own priorities. I plan on having the 203 and 820 side by side in my home theater. Best of both worlds.
giomania likes this.

Clark
Clark Burk is online now  
post #533 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,152
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Does anyone know if the 820 is mapping SDR peak white value to 235 or 255?

Last edited by curlyjive; 08-17-2018 at 11:15 AM.
curlyjive is offline  
post #534 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,340
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
I’d keep the 203 regardless for its media player ability but each person has their own priorities. I plan on having the 203 and 820 side by side in my home theater. Best of both worlds.
There are better media players than the Oppo 203.
brian6751 likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
Panasonic UB820 / ATV4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #535 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,861
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
I have had some time to play around with the Panasonic UB820 -> x990. The 820 is indeed a different beast than the OPPO 203. The differences so far...

- the 820 does not have the upper end gamma crush based on the APL of the source material.

- the 820 offers much more control over the way the tone mapping is done. The dynamic slider reshapes the curve within the black and white end points. The tone curve white and tone curve black controls, nicely move the bottom and top end points of the curve. Brightness can work with tone curve black to to control black crush.

The 820 HDR button offers (4) choices, which only make +/- value changes to the dynamic slider. The settings for the slider, brightness, tone curve white and tone curve black, are stored in User 1 & User 2. The HDR button trigger the following Dynamic Range Adjustment slider values...

Standard = 0
Natural Environment = +4
Light Environment = +8
Bright Environment = +11

The UB900 remote does not have the HDR button, but the Video Settings button on the bottom left, does take you right to the top level of the video adjustments. Then you can just make adjustments to the slider. I rather use the slider manually since +4 to +8 seems like too big of a step on the HDR button between "natural" and "light".

I have found using the optimizer and adjustments with in HDR/2020 mode is working out better than in SDR/2020 mode. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and will continue to play with SDR/2020.

The UB820 has (3) optimizer settings, Standard (by pass), User 1 and User 2 (with full range of Optimizer adjustments with memory).

I mostly experimented with the HDR-10 black and white clipping patterns. I'll conduct some waveform tests soon and then make some color performance observations.

I did notice running Optimizer off did sometimes provide a little bump to white highlight detail 9clouds opening GOTG V2), and the range of other controls where still available. While some scenes did show a difference when switching the optimizer on/off, others did not. I'd be curious to see if folks prefer to run optimizer on or off.

I want to learn more regarding what the 820 optimizer and controls are actually doing, and look forward to reports from others on the forum.

Bummers so far:

- changing modes from HDR/2020 <-> SDR/2020 has to be done from the main Player Settings menu -> HMDI -> Advanced Settings. (not accessible with a HDR disc mounted)

- the Netflix button on the 820 IR6 remote is in a bad place and too easy to accidentally trigger while making adjustments. The shortness of the remote and button layout, makes tricky handling, even two hands being required at times to reposition to access the bottom buttons of the main menu controls.

- I miss the app for the OPPO 203. Can't find a remote app for the UB820.

- I miss the media playback feature of the 203.

IMHO, the 820 does a better job at HDR gamma curve tweaking with my x990. I sold my 203.

I'd love to get some feedback from any calibrators regarding how to best approach tweaking the combination of the display or projector with the UB820.
Erod, Bahn Yuki and brian6751 like this.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - Vertex2 - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
post #536 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Has anyone else experienced Bytehoven's issue with HDR 2020 looking better than SDR 2020 with a projector?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #537 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Has anyone else experienced Bytehoven's issue with HDR 2020 looking better than SDR 2020 with a projector?
Keep in mind that he has a 640 that has a HDR gamma setting that works a lot better than the RSx00 series. I guess a lot depends on your projector and it’s HDR gamma capabilities.
Bahn Yuki likes this.

Clark
Clark Burk is online now  
post #538 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbn008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
I have had some time to play around with the Panasonic UB820 -> x990. The 820 is indeed a different beast than the OPPO 203. The differences so far...

- the 820 does not have the upper end gamma crush based on the APL of the source material.

- the 820 offers much more control over the way the tone mapping is done. The dynamic slider reshapes the curve within the black and white end points. The tone curve white and tone curve black controls, nicely move the bottom and top end points of the curve. Brightness can work with tone curve black to to control black crush.

The 820 HDR button offers (4) choices, which only make +/- value changes to the dynamic slider. The settings for the slider, brightness, tone curve white and tone curve black, are stored in User 1 & User 2. The HDR button trigger the following Dynamic Range Adjustment slider values...

Standard = 0
Natural Environment = +4
Light Environment = +8
Bright Environment = +11

The UB900 remote does not have the HDR button, but the Video Settings button on the bottom left, does take you right to the top level of the video adjustments. Then you can just make adjustments to the slider. I rather use the slider manually since +4 to +8 seems like too big of a step on the HDR button between "natural" and "light".

I have found using the optimizer and adjustments with in HDR/2020 mode is working out better than in SDR/2020 mode. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and will continue to play with SDR/2020.

The UB820 has (3) optimizer settings, Standard (by pass), User 1 and User 2 (with full range of Optimizer adjustments with memory).

I mostly experimented with the HDR-10 black and white clipping patterns. I'll conduct some waveform tests soon and then make some color performance observations.

I did notice running Optimizer off did sometimes provide a little bump to white highlight detail 9clouds opening GOTG V2), and the range of other controls where still available. While some scenes did show a difference when switching the optimizer on/off, others did not. I'd be curious to see if folks prefer to run optimizer on or off.

I want to learn more regarding what the 820 optimizer and controls are actually doing, and look forward to reports from others on the forum.

Bummers so far:

- changing modes from HDR/2020 <-> SDR/2020 has to be done from the main Player Settings menu -> HMDI -> Advanced Settings. (not accessible with a HDR disc mounted)

- the Netflix button on the 820 IR6 remote is in a bad place and too easy to accidentally trigger while making adjustments. The shortness of the remote and button layout, makes tricky handling, even two hands being required at times to reposition to access the bottom buttons of the main menu controls.

- I miss the app for the OPPO 203. Can't find a remote app for the UB820.

- I miss the media playback feature of the 203.

IMHO, the 820 does a better job at HDR gamma curve tweaking with my x990. I sold my 203.

I'd love to get some feedback from any calibrators regarding how to best approach tweaking the combination of the display or projector with the UB820.
I'm really looking for a reason to replace the Oppo. Is it true you can't stream lossless audio (TrueHD, Atmos, etc.) over your home network? I have been told that Netflix and Amazon are also locked at 60fps (without frame matching), but how would you rate the 820's Netflix streaming quality/ experience?

As a JVC projector owner, I'd love to take advantage of Panasonic's bt2020/SDR capabilities.
Bahn Yuki likes this.
jbn008 is offline  
post #539 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
coxy2416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post
I'm really looking for a reason to replace the Oppo. Is it true you can't stream lossless audio (TrueHD, Atmos, etc.) over your home network? I have been told that Netflix and Amazon are also locked at 60fps (without frame matching), but how would you rate the 820's Netflix streaming quality/ experience?

As a JVC projector owner, I'd love to take advantage of Panasonic's bt2020/SDR capabilities.
I believe the only way you get lossless audio is through playing the disc. From what I have read the 820 is a great machine but if it was me I would be using custom curves and keeping the Oppo as it is much better for streaming MKV's with lossless audio.

I have the X790 with Jav's custom curves loaded and stream all my 4K movies through the Nvidia Shield. I would be surprised if the 820 could make the picture look any better then what I already have.
jbn008 likes this.
coxy2416 is offline  
post #540 of 7324 Old 08-17-2018, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbn008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Thanks for the feedback
coxy2416 likes this.
jbn008 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k blu-ray player , blu-ray player , blu-ray settings , panasonic ub820

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off