Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4891Likes

post #5401 of 5474 Old 08-12-2019, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
I've just added the ub9000 and have the HDR and next and prev chapter commands.
The buttons in question are skip back 10 seconds and skip forward 60 seconds. Different than the next and previous chapter commands.

Does it give you any kind of way to change the region of your UB9000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 5474 Old 08-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Anyone have any issues playing DVD-R discs in their Panny 820? We just returned from a cruise to Iceland, and we bought the video of the cruise. I received an unable to play error message after inserting the disc in the player. It plays fine in my Oppo 980H DVD player and the LG BD burner attached to my PC. I haven't tried it in my Sony X800. I am assuming it's a DVD-R, as the disc was created for us before we left the ship.
post #5403 of 5474 Old 08-12-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Anyone have any issues playing DVD-R discs in their Panny 820? We just returned from a cruise to Iceland, and we bought the video of the cruise. I received an unable to play error message after inserting the disc in the player. It plays fine in my Oppo 980H DVD player and the LG BD burner attached to my PC. I haven't tried it in my Sony X800. I am assuming it's a DVD-R, as the disc was created for us before we left the ship.

(Deleted)

Last edited by ti-triodes; 08-12-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5404 of 5474 Old 08-12-2019, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
IIRC, Iceland is Region 2. Maybe the Panny is having problems with that.

I seriously doubt that the cruise line would put region coding on a video created to sell it its passengers -- especially since the ship's 184 passengers were all American. This is a video that was filmed of our actual cruise, not a pre-recorded disc There was an actual videographer (and separate still photographer) on board the ship and with us during the on shore excursions. Also, I was able to play the disc on my Oppo 980H DVD player, which is not region-free.

Last edited by Scott M; 08-12-2019 at 05:37 PM.
post #5405 of 5474 Old 08-12-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 1537
Just picked up the player in Canada on a great deal. A few initial questions:

The model number on the box is DP-UB820PCK. Anyone know what the variation in model name means?

With DV enabled, Netflix forces DV for all content. Is this what others are experiencing as well?

Pairing the player with a Sony 900F. I've heard (right or wrong) that the HDR optimizer feature is primarily useful for lower quality displays. Would it be worth going through the optimizer exercise for the Sony 900F?
post #5406 of 5474 Old 08-12-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
I seriously doubt that the cruise line would put region coding on a video created to sell it its passengers -- especially since the ship's 184 passengers were all American. This is a video that was filmed of our actual cruise, not a pre-recorded disc There was an actual videographer (and separate still photographer) on board the ship and with us during the on shore excursions.

I deleted my original post at the same time you were answering since it didn’t address your problem directly.

My 820 never had problems with my DVD-R’s, but they were authored at 1:1.
The cruise line probably authored your DVD-R at the highest speed possible. The 820 is probably having problems dealing with any authoring errors that were introduced with the high speed dub. You might contact them to see if they can provide you with another copy to see if that fixes it. Unfortunately, the problem may be with how the Panny deals with the disc and not the disc itself.
post #5407 of 5474 Old 08-12-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 2103
Quote:
I posted the differences I found between the US/Canada and Great Britain/Europe versions of the UB9000 remote in an earlier post. I have the European version that has the -10 second and +60 second skip buttons that the US version does not. It works perfectly with my UB820.

The N2QAYA000175 remote is included with the US and Canadian version of the UB9000.
The N2QAYA000172 remote is included with the Great Britain and European versions.

From what I can tell, the differences include:

N2QAYA000175 has a CC (Close Caption) button to the left of the Stop button, and a Mirroring button to the right.
N2QAYA000172 has Manual Skip buttons, -10 seconds on the left and +60 seconds on the right.

N2QAYA000175 has a Space character button above the Netflix button and a Cancel button above the Internet button.
N2QAYA000172 has a Mirroring button above the Netflix button and a Setting button above the Internet button.

N2QAYA000175 has a Video Setting button next to the HDR button.
N2QAYA000172 has a Picture Setting button next to the HDR button.

You can see the -10 and +60 second skip buttons in this photo of my European version of the remote. The other pictured is the standard US UB820 remote.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	2602274  
MOberhardt likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 08-12-2019 at 08:21 PM.
post #5408 of 5474 Old 08-12-2019, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I seriously doubt that the cruise line would put region coding on a video created to sell it its passengers -- especially since the ship's 184 passengers were all American. This is a video that was filmed of our actual cruise, not a pre-recorded disc There was an actual videographer (and separate still photographer) on board the ship and with us during the on shore excursions. Also, I was able to play the disc on my Oppo 980H DVD player, which is not region-free.
I would use your PC to burn a new copy to a different brand of DVD
post #5409 of 5474 Old 08-13-2019, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Great info. I am going to try this too.

LG OLED65C9, Yamaha RX-A3080, Paradigm Reference Studio 80 Mains, Atmos 5.1.4 config, Panasonic UB820, PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4K
post #5410 of 5474 Old 08-13-2019, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
No audio from Netflix after 1.6 firmware upgrade

Just wanted to post in case this helps anyone else. I haven't had the player very long so still finding things out...

So, as the title says, I upgraded to 1.6 firmware and the audio disappeared altogether from just Netflix - Prime Video, disc playback etc. was fine.

I have the player connected to a Denon AV Receiver and did the usual checks in case that was causing a problem; plugged directly into TV and used internal speakers, swapped cables, logged out the app and back in, tried alternate audio streams - all to no joy. No audio period from Netflix.

I tried doing a soft reset in the settings to start with thinking I may have inadvertently changed something, still no joy.

I then contacted Panasonic support and they suggested I try a hard reset and gave me the instructions to do this, which can also be found by googling because this won't let me post links yet.

1. Turn the unit on.
2. Press and hold [OK], the [Y - Yellow] button and the [B - Blue] button on the remote control at the same time for more than 5 seconds. “00 RET” is displayed on the unit’s display.
3. Press [►] right repeatedly on the remote control until “08 FIN” is displayed on the unit’s display.
4. Press and hold [OK] for more than 5 seconds.

This resulted in a scrolly list of selections, but no "08 FIN" appeared, think it had 7, 10 but no 8.

After a bit of swearing, I decided to try with the unit powered OFF - and lo and behold, scrolly list with "08 FIN" this time.

And this cured the problem! Hope this helps someone else.

BTW, in case anyone wants to know my Denon X4200W will playback Dolby Atmos from Netflix (when it's playing any audio!)
tngiloy likes this.
post #5411 of 5474 Old 08-13-2019, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
I tell ya the fun never stops with this player.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this true this player is not suppose to be able to play M2TS files? I swear I thought that was the case. I ask because mine does and now it does it with sound I found out by accident!

If I play a file from a usb thumb drive, it starts but has no Audio. If I then briefly rewind or fast forward the video, it resumes with Audio! It also is apparently automatically picking the Dolby Digital plus version of the audio and playing it back. I tried about a dozen atmos demo clips I have, ones I know for certain where the M2TS file includes the audio in TrueHD, and every time the audio plays back via DD+ according to my AVR. (But it's still registering as Atmos as well.)

This was an unexpected but happy discovery for me and this player and one of the few things I didn't like about it. My small collection of Atmos sound trailers are nothing vital, but it's still nice that I can play most of them.

However I wonder if I have something set wrong since I have to trick it to play the audio? (A few clips did play with audio, but most didn't till the FF/RWD trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lonsdale View Post
Just wanted to post in case this helps anyone else. I haven't had the player very long so still finding things out...

So, as the title says, I upgraded to 1.6 firmware and the audio disappeared altogether from just Netflix - Prime Video, disc playback etc. was fine.

I have the player connected to a Denon AV Receiver and did the usual checks in case that was causing a problem; plugged directly into TV and used internal speakers, swapped cables, logged out the app and back in, tried alternate audio streams - all to no joy. No audio period from Netflix.

I tried doing a soft reset in the settings to start with thinking I may have inadvertently changed something, still no joy.

I then contacted Panasonic support and they suggested I try a hard reset and gave me the instructions to do this, which can also be found by googling because this won't let me post links yet.

1. Turn the unit on.
2. Press and hold [OK], the [Y - Yellow] button and the [B - Blue] button on the remote control at the same time for more than 5 seconds. “00 RET” is displayed on the unit’s display.
3. Press [►] right repeatedly on the remote control until “08 FIN” is displayed on the unit’s display.
4. Press and hold [OK] for more than 5 seconds.

This resulted in a scrolly list of selections, but no "08 FIN" appeared, think it had 7, 10 but no 8.

After a bit of swearing, I decided to try with the unit powered OFF - and lo and behold, scrolly list with "08 FIN" this time.

And this cured the problem! Hope this helps someone else.

BTW, in case anyone wants to know my Denon X4200W will playback Dolby Atmos from Netflix (when it's playing any audio!)
I admit I wasn't paying close attention to the issues people are having with Netflix but your post caught my eye this morning. I wonder if my issue with my player not playing m2ts files with sound unless I do a quick rewind/forward is actually an issue brought on by the latest firmware. When I got the player it was on 1.55 and I did update it right away to 1.60. I wonder if I need to do the full reset you did.

Something is up with my player being I have to do what I need to to get audio to play from files. I was going to ask everyone if I just need to exchange it. But maybe not.
post #5412 of 5474 Old 08-13-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 304
URC Remote Skip Commands

If anyone out there uses a URC programmable remote and has the 'editor' program and wants to program the '1 minute advance' and '-10 sec' commands I found a way you can do it.
Using the MX EDITOR the '+60 sec' is shown in the first picture, It's a command from an older Panny DVD, but it works.
I couldn't find a command for the '-10 sec' command, so I made a macro that works in the second picture. It actually is a -12 sec macro command which works fine for me, but you can adjust the 'delay' to meet your needs.

I know most of you are using the Harmony remotes, but if there are some URC users here, I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ucr.PNG
Views:	22
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	2602378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	2602380  

"When all else fails, read the manual."

Last edited by tngiloy; 08-13-2019 at 08:34 AM.
post #5413 of 5474 Old 08-13-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsneaker View Post
I recently played more around with my Panny, trying to stream my MKVs and Dolby demos, that I access via my QNAP NAS.

I haven‘t completely figured out, why the Panny sometimes works even with Atmos files (some of the Dolby Atmos demos play without problems), while I sometimes get an error, that the audio format is not supported...

Switching the audio output from Bitstream to PCM did not help in all cases.

I am also not able to switch to any different audio track. It seems the Panny will always just use the default audio track in an MKV. When I try to access the audio menu on the Panny I‘m not able to switch to any other language or audio format.

Is anyone aware of a tool, that can quickly (on the fly) change the default audio track in a MKV? With MKV tools, you can change it, but you need to write a complete new MKV... that‘s a waste of disk space...

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

It defaults only to the first track when using a NAS because it's a UPnP restriction...you can choose tracks when play via a HD connected to the player.
post #5414 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
I would use your PC to burn a new copy to a different brand of DVD

That's a good suggestion. Thanks.
post #5415 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8UB820 View Post
It defaults only to the first track when using a NAS because it's a UPnP restriction...you can choose tracks when play via a HD connected to the player.

Thanks - wasn‘t aware of this UPnP limitation. I haven’t been able to connect to my QNAP SMB fileshares yet with the Panny. Works perfectly well with my Oppo player, but the Panny will not connect. On the QNAP I allowed all SMB versions, also have the correct username and password.

post #5416 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsneaker View Post
Thanks - wasn‘t aware of this UPnP limitation. I haven’t been able to connect to my QNAP SMB fileshares yet with the Panny. Works perfectly well with my Oppo player, but the Panny will not connect. On the QNAP I allowed all SMB versions, also have the correct username and password.

Can’t win them all man. Still a fantastic player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5417 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 06:04 AM
Fox

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Irrespective of what Netflix has declared, multiple generations of Denon/Marantz AVRs as well as the Yamaha RX-A3080 (not confirmed in the 1080/2080) and CX-A5200 (5100?) all are able to decode Atmos from the 820/9000 Netflix DD+ stream on appropriate titles. I upgraded from the RX-A3050 to the RX-A3080 and now definitively obtain Atmos from the UB820 app; the 3050/3060/3070 were only capable of decoding DD 5.1 in this setting. The Atmos tag is present with these devices, not just DD 5.1

I checked this last night if I watch netflix on the UB820, it says Atmos in the preview pane, but when I actually play it it says DD+ for the audio stream, this is with the Yamaha RX-A2080.

My gut is telling me the bug is in the preview pane, I only have 5.1 sound not sure if that makes a difference (I know almost nothing about atmos)

I do not get the Atmos logo in the preview pane on my Roku 4k ultra.
post #5418 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I checked this last night if I watch netflix on the UB820, it says Atmos in the preview pane, but when I actually play it it says DD+ for the audio stream, this is with the Yamaha RX-A2080. My gut is telling me the bug is in the preview pane, I only have 5.1 sound not sure if that makes a difference (I know almost nothing about atmos). I do not get the Atmos logo in the preview pane on my Roku 4k ultra.
What is your speaker setup? If your 2080 speaker configuration set-up doesn't include "presence" speakers it's possible that Netflix may default to 5.1.

FYI, DD+ is the "package" in which Atmos is embedded. With appropriate Netflix titles, accessing on-screen information from the remote's information button on my 3080 shows Atmos/DD+ in the lower left hand side on the display and pressing the right arrow 2 more times shows that Atmos is the audio input and that my 7.2.4 speaker system is in use.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
post #5419 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 AM
Fox

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No presence speakers at this time its a simple traditional 5.1 setup. I'll try and remember to check tonight what the detailed info button says.
post #5420 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 2103
Quote:
I checked this last night if I watch netflix on the UB820, it says Atmos in the preview pane, but when I actually play it it says DD+ for the audio stream, this is with the Yamaha RX-A2080.

My gut is telling me the bug is in the preview pane, I only have 5.1 sound not sure if that makes a difference (I know almost nothing about atmos)

I do not get the Atmos logo in the preview pane on my Roku 4k ultra.
If you don't have Atmos speakers that are configured as such in your AVR, then it is most likely your AVR won't report Atmos but just DD+. The Atmos layer in the input signal will be ignored.
tngiloy and PlanetAVS like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #5421 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
No presence speakers at this time its a simple traditional 5.1 setup. I'll try and remember to check tonight what the detailed info button says.
That information (for the 2080) would be really great to be able to post on related forums. I strongly suspect that the on screen information will indicate that the 2080 is able to decode Atmos from the DD+ stream, since there should be no reason why only the 3080 (same generation of Yamaha AVR) has this capability. Of note: I had previously hooked up my friend's 1080 with my UB820 and the Netflix app did NOT show the Atmos badge (only 5.1) for known Atmos titles. That's why I've been hoping that other 1080/2080 owners would post their findings.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
post #5422 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah it was the european models I discovered had those buttons on the remote. When you choose a device in Harmony, can you choose a different region version? When I try to add the UB9000, I just get the US model. My work around maybe the only way to do this, I think. I had to add both devices, the UB900 and my UB820 in order to have those skip buttons AND an HDR button. But if I could add the European UB9000, I would just need that device alone.
How do you add the European UB9000 in Harmony? I am keen to use the +60 seconds, and -10 seconds, of the European UB9000. I added "Panasonic DP-UB9000" device but it must default to the US version, as it does not come with a command for 60s or -10s
post #5423 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschen View Post
How do you add the European UB9000 in Harmony? I am keen to use the +60 seconds, and -10 seconds, of the European UB9000. I added "Panasonic DP-UB9000" device but it must default to the US version, as it does not come with a command for 60s or -10s
If you go into device settings on the harmony (windows) app, there is an option sometimes to change region. But in my experience, not every device has that option.

You might not be able to. The way I did it, posted a few days ago above, may be your best bet.

I
post #5424 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

How do you change the wallpaper on the UB820 to a custom image? And what resolution should I make the image?
post #5425 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 08:51 AM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
If you go into device settings on the harmony (windows) app, there is an option sometimes to change region. But in my experience, not every device has that option.

You might not be able to. The way I did it, posted a few days ago above, may be your best bet.

I
You're referring to adding a device with the model number "UB900". Is that correct?

Pip
post #5426 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I
Thanks. I ended up adding the DMP-UB900 as per your post, and this device has command for +60s, and -10s. Just tested it on my Australian Panasonic UB820 and it works like a charm. Thanks again mate!
post #5427 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
You're referring to adding a device with the model number "UB900". Is that correct?

Pip
Not sure what buttons/commands you are trying to use. I was wanting the +60s and -10s commands, which wasn't available on DP-UB9000 and DP-UB9004 on my desktop Logitech Harmony application (version 7.7.0). I ended up adding DMP-UB900 and found these 2 commands on this device. FULL credit to zeonstar's post here.

Last edited by sschen; 08-14-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #5428 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Not sure what buttons/commands you are trying to use. I was wanting the +60s and -10s commands, which wasn't available on DP-UB9000 and DP-UB9004 on my desktop Logitech Harmony application (version 7.7.0). I ended up adding DMP-UB900 and found these 2 commands on this device. FULL credit to zeonstar's post here.
Exactly.

Here, here.

Pip
post #5429 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. I ended up adding the DMP-UB900 as per your post, and this device has command for +60s, and -10s. Just tested it on my Australian Panasonic UB820 and it works like a charm. Thanks again mate!
Yeah exactly right. Though in my case I need the remote for the UB820 AND UB900 or else I lose either the -10 skip back button OR the HDR Optimzer button. But if you don't need both of those, then having just the UB900 as your device will work.

Quote:
Glad it worked for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post

Pip
Exactly!
post #5430 of 5474 Old 08-14-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Does anyone have the HEX IR codes for these operations? I'd like to add them to my Pronto TSU9400.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page