Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 184 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4972Likes

post #5491 of 5786 Old 08-20-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Try a hard power reset, and then a factory reset if necessary. If it still doesn't work I'd start the exchange process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Waiting for your reset results, but also curious if the new player plays DVDs okay. Guessing it does.
Does NOT play DVDs as well.
Panson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5786 Old 08-20-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
Time to exchange, or rethink.
william06 likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #5493 of 5786 Old 08-20-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

.?

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5494 of 5786 Old 08-20-2019, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
.?
In addition to 4k UHD discs and Blu ray discs, it does NOT play DVDs. Definitely time for a new unit.
post #5495 of 5786 Old 08-20-2019, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer604 View Post
Hi. My RTI programming guy thinks my new player is slow. Considering exercising the warranty. Can someone help me compare notes?

* Power on to “now reading” message on the display is 17 seconds

* Power off to “goodbye” message is 48 seconds.

Anything else to compare apples to apples?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody?

post #5496 of 5786 Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Anybody?

Yeah, the panasonics seem to be slow stopping and starting. I think when you asked prior, someone asked what you had the power saving settings on? There are some Quick Start options, as well as the network standby that can affect startup times. I'm not sure what mine are.
post #5497 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 07:28 AM
OT7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Anybody?

Quick Start on
Power on to now reading 2 seconds
power off to goodbye 8.5 seconds

Last edited by OT7; 08-21-2019 at 07:31 AM.
post #5498 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy 3D Movie Glitches / Video Freezes

Hi. I've had my Panasonic UB820 since last Christmas and I really love the features and picture quality on all movies. The HDR Optimizer is especially awesome! I've had no issues or complaints from my unit thus far but I recently picked up a new BenQ HT2050A DLP projector to get better, crosstalk free 3D movie watching than my Epson 5040 3-LCD unit. (BTW--I'm very pleased with the BenQ unit's 3D quality even though I do see some DLP rainbows from time to time). So in going back through and watching all my 3D blu ray movies again I noticed that on a few of them, the picture gets stuck/freezes at around 15 minutes in every time I play them. The first one I noticed it on was Wreck It Ralph 3D (which was funny since the movie is about a glitch!--go figure), and then I noticed that another disc got stuck around the same time frame near the beginning of Rogue One 3D. I inspected and made sure both the discs were clean but it continues to happen in the same spot on both discs and I have to go to the next chapter in order to watch the rest of the movies, which always play just fine after that. Just to make sure it wasn't the discs, I played them in my Oppo 203 in 3D and they both worked fine and never glitched at all in the same spot or anywhere else in the movie. So I think it's probably my Panasonic UB820 that's causing the issue. I made sure I have the latest firmware so I don't think that's the problem. Has anyone else experienced this same stuck/frozen video with some 3D movies? I first thought it may be Disney titles since Wreck It Ralph and Rogue One were by Disney but just last night I was watching Shrek 3D and it glitched and the video froze in the same way around 6 minutes into the movie. So it has happened on Dreamworks and Disney movies now. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
post #5499 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Anybody?

Quick start OFF
Power On- 26 sec from pushing ON button to HOME
Power Off- 52 sec from first PLEASE WAIT to last GOODBYE and blank front panel display

Quick Start ON
Power On- 12 sec to HOME
Power Off- 13 sec to blank front panel display

The first time I powered it off I thought it was doing an update, but it's just slow with Quick Start turned off. If it bothers you and your installer, then turn the Quick Start ON. It doesn't bother me so I leave it off.
neversummer604 likes this.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #5500 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Quick start OFF

Power On- 26 sec from pushing ON button to HOME

Power Off- 52 sec from first PLEASE WAIT to last GOODBYE and blank front panel display

Quick Start ON

Power On- 12 sec to HOME

Power Off- 13 sec to blank front panel display

The first time I powered it off I thought it was doing an update, but it's just slow with Quick Start turned off. If it bothers you and your installer, then turn the Quick Start ON. It doesn't bother me so I leave it off.

Perfect, thx for doing that. Didn’t think enabling quick start would affect power off time. Makes sense.

post #5501 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1885
Quote:
Perfect, thx for doing that. Didn’t think enabling quick start would affect power off time. Makes sense.

The quick start feature on all players uses more power and often times results in background hum. It might be better named as "power saving" since it affects speed of overall performance (not just startup). Every UHD player I've had (XB1S, Philips, Sony X700, Panasonic 820) is slow compared to Bluray players but the Panasonic does seem to be a bit slower.
Panson likes this.
post #5502 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 739
There seems to be a handful of people dealing with display blanking issues recently.

No matter what your current HDMI cable manufacturer says, if it does not SPECIFICALLY STATE THE EXACT WORDS "Certified Premium" they are selling you a load of marketing malarkey. There is an actual Premium HDMI Cable Certification Program. It does not matter how much you spent on your cable, or what the bandwidth rating says, if they are not "Certified Premium" that means they were unable to get the certification and are not as good as the cables I recommend. Sorry you wasted your money but it's true.

The ONLY way to FOR SURE rule out cabling issues (which is absolutely the most likely cause) is to DIRECTLY connect your UB820 to your display using a Certified Premium HDMI Cable (and to try two cables to be super duper sure). This is the only cable I recommend.

If you have a projector & AVR with multiple cables, you will have to find a way to physically move your UB820 to connect direct to your projector/display with the Certified Premium HDMI Cable to test without variables.

Your 4K life will be a lot easier if you just replace ALL of your cables with Certified Premium HDMI Cables right now.

You don't have to listen to me, but I replaced every single HDMI cable with the cables I recommend in 2016, including the one going from the AVR to my projector and you've never seen a connectivity-issue post from me. There is a reason for that.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 08-21-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #5503 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
There seems to be a handful of people dealing with display blanking issues recently.

No matter what your current HDMI cable manufacturer says, if it does not SPECIFICALLY STATE THE EXACT WORDS "Certified Premium" they are selling you a load of marketing malarkey. There is an actual Premium HDMI Cable Certification Program. It does not matter how much you spent on your cable, or what the bandwidth rating says, if they are not "Certified Premium" that means they were unable to get the certification and are not as good as the cables I recommend. Sorry you wasted your money but it's true.

The ONLY way to FOR SURE rule out cabling issues (which is absolutely the most likely cause) is to DIRECTLY connect your UB820 to your display using a Certified Premium HDMI Cable (and to try two cables to be super duper sure). This is the only cable I recommend.

If you have a projector & AVR with multiple cables, you will have to find a way to physically move your UB820 to connect direct to your projector/display with the Certified Premium HDMI Cable to test without variables.

Your 4K life will be a lot easier if you just replace ALL of your cables with Certified Premium HDMI Cables right now.

You don't have to listen to me, but I replaced every single HDMI cable with the cables I recommend in 2016, including the one going from the AVR to my projector and you've never seen a connectivity-issue post from me. There is a reason for that. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]
I had similar issues a few months ago. I thought the 820 was the culprit and not HDMI Cables. I was using 4K Audioquest Cables with a Yamaha Aventage 1080 receiver. I was also concerned that my receiver might be causing it as well. As soon as I changed out the cables to premium certified cables I haven't had a single issue.
post #5504 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
Quote:

You don't have to listen to me, but I replaced every single HDMI cable with the cables I recommend in 2016, including the one going from the AVR to my projector and you've never seen a connectivity-issue post from me. There is a reason for that.
I concur.

However, Monoprice isn't the only source of inexpensive certified premium HDMI cables out there. Example: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...tronics&sr=1-1 I'm using one of those because I wanted white.

I have read some complaints about QC for the Monoprice cables, but it's not something I have experienced personally. (I haven't bought a large number of HDMI cables, I admit.)
post #5505 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post
I had similar issues a few months ago. I thought the 820 was the culprit and not HDMI Cables. I was using 4K Audioquest Cables with a Yamaha Aventage 1080 receiver. I was also concerned that my receiver might be causing it as well. As soon as I changed out the cables to premium certified cables I haven't had a single issue.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's tough to admit sometimes especially when you've spent a lot of money on a cable you 'think' is premium and high quality. I'm glad you were able to swap to a cable that works!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I concur.

However, Monoprice isn't the only source of inexpensive certified premium HDMI cables out there.
Yes, FINALLY more manufacturers are offering Certified Premium HDMI Cables. I'm not really loyal to Monoprice per se. They were just the only ones that had Premium Certified cables when I needed them and I can only recommend what I have personal experience with...and they now go to 30 feet!

The objective of my post is to show that the ONLY thing that matters is the Certified Premium HDMI Cable designation. Everything else is marketing malarkey and cannot be trusted. Every single cable you own should be Certified Premium or thrown out (only exception being the super long distance cables, of which I suggest the RUIPRO HDMI Cables. I have not used these personally, but they are highly recommended.).

So far, every display blanking issue I have seen is eventually resolved by replacing the HDMI cables with Certified Premium ones, the only question is how long the person wants to fight before relenting.
tngiloy and beastaudio like this.
post #5506 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
I concur.

However, Monoprice isn't the only source of inexpensive certified premium HDMI cables out there. Example: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...tronics&sr=1-1 I'm using one of those because I wanted white.

I have read some complaints about QC for the Monoprice cables, but it's not something I have experienced personally. (I haven't bought a large number of HDMI cables, I admit.)
I had all my devices connected with the monoprice premium certified cables. I had some issues with a couple of my devices. I narrowed it down to cable issues. I replaced them with the Belkin cables which apple recommends for the atv4k also sold on Amazon. They do not have the certification but they have every other necessary functions for ultra he use. The have worked flawlessly for me. Any minor issue I have had ( very few) I could not attribute to cables. In most cases the monoprice worked fine but for me the Belkin worked better although being a bit more expensive but not outrageously so.
Panson likes this.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #5507 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Is there any way to check streaming info in the Netflix app? Nothing happens when I press the "playback info" button.
Robbie Racer likes this.
post #5508 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's tough to admit sometimes especially when you've spent a lot of money on a cable you 'think' is premium and high quality. I'm glad you were able to swap to a cable that works!

Yes, FINALLY more manufacturers are offering Certified Premium HDMI Cables. I'm not really loyal to Monoprice per se. They were just the only ones that had Premium Certified cables when I needed them and I can only recommend what I have personal experience with...and they now go to 30 feet!

The objective of my post is to show that the ONLY thing that matters is the Certified Premium HDMI Cable designation. Everything else is marketing malarkey and cannot be trusted. Every single cable you own should be Certified Premium or thrown out (only exception being the super long distance cables, of which I suggest the RUIPRO HDMI Cables. I have not used these personally, but they are highly recommended.).

So far, every display blanking issue I have seen is eventually resolved by replacing the HDMI cables with Certified Premium ones, the only question is how long the person wants to fight before relenting.
Everything? That's not true. I've used a brand without the holy blessing and it tests and performs fine. Plus, its construction from stem to stern is more durable than Monoprice (just to name one, not ragging on). Due diligence is the key. I was steered correctly. Recently, I saw my brand's more expensive cable with the holy blessing. Now I'm worried. Just kidding. Cheers!
william06 and PlanetAVS like this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #5509 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that what ultimately matters is that the HDMI cable supports 18 Gbps speed. I understand that cables do not always list this spec, and I believe that people then fall back on the "certified high speed premium" criteria and that Monoprice is a reliable vendor who put actual labels on their cables to make it easier for owners to keep track of their cable's capabilities. I've bought Amazon Basics cables with the 18 Gbps spec and haven't had any problems so far.

Cables for 8K are a different story though.
william06 likes this.
post #5510 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Everything? That's not true. I've used a brand without the holy blessing and it tests and performs fine. Plus, its construction from stem to stern is more durable than Monoprice (just to name one, not ragging on). Due diligence is the key. I was steered correctly. Recently, I saw my brand's more expensive cable with the holy blessing. Now I'm worried. Just kidding. Cheers!
Certified Premium > “Build Quality”

I’m all for a well made cable that is ALSO certified and would pay a bit more if it was demonstrably better in some way. No way will I waste my money on some esoteric brand cable that can’t even get Premium Certified and pretend it’s better because I’ve been won over by the marketing and paid a lot of money for it.

Esoteric brands died with Analog. I’ll take a $15 Certified Premium cable over a $50+ non-Certified cable every time.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that what ultimately matters is that the HDMI cable supports 18 Gbps speed.
No. This is part of the problem. The reason the certification is important is because a third-party is saying the cable checks out.

When people that buy HDMI cables incapable of getting the Certified Premium designation have problems they often proclaim “BuT mY cAbLe SaYs 18 GbPs!” and refuse to consider cabling as the cause and clog up the thread for days while we all chase phantom issues just for a week later a meek post of “it was my cable, all fixed now” to sneak out.

The reason this issue has me particularly upset is because I have run across other forum members who have spent hundreds of dollars on cabling from esoteric manufacturers that refuse to stand behind them when they do not support 4K HDR 60fps 4:4:4. Performance > Marketing.
post #5511 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No. This is part of the problem. The reason the certification is important is because a third-party is saying the cable checks out.

When people that buy HDMI cables incapable of getting the Certified Premium designation have problems they often proclaim “BuT mY cAbLe SaYs 18 GbPs!” and refuse to consider cabling as the cause and clog up the thread for days while we all chase phantom issues just for a week later a meek post of “it was my cable, all fixed now” to sneak out.

The reason this issue has me particularly upset is because I have run across other forum members who have spent hundreds of dollars on cabling from esoteric manufacturers that refuse to stand behind them when they do not support 4K HDR 60fps 4:4:4. Performance > Marketing.[/QUOTE]

Ok I see your point. But the bottom line as I indicated earlier is that ultimately what really matters is if the cables support 18 Gbps. You're making the distinction (justifiably) that just because a mfg claims that it supports 18 Gbps doesn't mean it actually does. Just curious, who is the 3rd party that certifies the legitimacy? I had always assumed that it was just a Monoprice marketing term.
post #5512 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
Quote:
(snip)

I had always assumed that it was just a Monoprice marketing term.
Nope.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/faq.aspx
PlanetAVS and Dreamliner like this.
post #5513 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, that's good info. I have only seen issues where the owner was unsure of their cable's capabilities and hadn't seen anything where they specifically believed their cable was 18 Gbps capable.

My Amazon Basics 18 Gbps non certified cables have a lifetime warranty, if there is a problem with them in the future they'll be going back
post #5514 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 4763 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
My Amazon Basics 18 Gbps non certified cables have a lifetime warranty, if there is a problem with them in the future they'll be going back
I have a few of those and they seem to be “hit and miss”. The 20’ one works fine, but the short one give me occasional troubles. (The long one is much thicker).
post #5515 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I took Bob Pariseau advice and use HDMI cables that are 6'. Premium Certified of course. He has a blog on HDMI cables also.
Ted99 likes this.
post #5516 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post
I had the same issue with 4k Endgame disc on my 820 but at the 5:50 mark. I simply went back to Best Buy and swapped out for another copy which played flawlessly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
My copy of Avengers End Game 4K UHD has a playback issue on my 820 @ the 8:36 mark I’m getting studder pixilated freezing then skipping, every time at that same time stamp. Now I played the same disc in my Sony X700 and no issues and play right through the same time stamp flawlessly.
I played infinity war with no problems earlier and other discs have been fine! My first real playback issue.
I just played Endgame 4K for the first 20 minutes until the "Five Years Later" frame and then the final battle sequence. No issues here (other than Disney Atmos sounding like garbage).
MOberhardt likes this.
post #5517 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Certified Premium > “Build Quality”

I’m all for a well made cable that is ALSO certified and would pay a bit more if it was demonstrably better in some way. No way will I waste my money on some esoteric brand cable that can’t even get Premium Certified and pretend it’s better because I’ve been won over by the marketing and paid a lot of money for it.

Esoteric brands died with Analog. I’ll take a $15 Certified Premium cable over a $50+ non-Certified cable every time.

The reason this issue has me particularly upset is because I have run across other forum members who have spent hundreds of dollars on cabling from esoteric manufacturers that refuse to stand behind them when they do not support 4K HDR 60fps 4:4:4. Performance > Marketing.
Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance but I thought 4K 60 4:4:4 10b-HDR = 22.28Gbps so hdmi 2.0 connection should not be able to do that—-that’s what hdmi 2.1 will be able to accomplish. 4K 60 4:4:4 (no HDR) = 17.82Gbps and 4K 60 4:2:2 10b-HDR (no 4:4:4) = 17.82Gbps. So if you are able to play a Netflix 4K hdr title which is 4K 60 4:2:2 10b-HDR (no 4:4:4) = 17.82Gbps, your hdmi cable is good or am I missing something.

Ron
post #5518 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikemi View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but I thought 4K 60 4:4:4 10b-HDR = 22.28Gbps so hdmi 2.0 connection should not be able to do that—-that’s what hdmi 2.1 will be able to accomplish. 4K 60 4:4:4 (no HDR) = 17.82Gbps and 4K 60 4:2:2 10b-HDR (no 4:4:4) = 17.82Gbps. So if you are able to play a Netflix 4K hdr title which is 4K 60 4:2:2 10b-HDR (no 4:4:4) = 17.82Gbps, your hdmi cable is good or am I missing something.
You may be right and perhaps "4K HDR 60fps 4:4:4" is not specifically accurate as it was typed is haste. My point is, if you look at some of the verbiage on esotaric brand cables, they do a real great job of obscuring the fact they are not "Certified Premium". In fact, (no fault to you) but they would rather you be in the weeds with numbers than focusing on their inability to get certified.

It's amazing how much convincing it takes to get people to buy a $15 cable.

$1000+ TV? No problem. $500 player? No problem. $30 movies? No problem. $15 cable? Hold on there buddy.
Ted99, tngiloy, MOberhardt and 1 others like this.
post #5519 of 5786 Old 08-21-2019, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Ok. Enough complaints. Please continue the Cable discussion in the HDMI section.
Dreamliner, ddigler and shs1234 like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #5520 of 5786 Old 08-22-2019, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
4K HDR + 1080P SDR co-existence issue

Over the past 2 days I've setup my UB820 with my Epson 6050/9400 but I cannot get 4K HDR + 1080P to play together without getting an over saturated picture in one or the other (so setup for 4K, 1080P is heavy in red and setup for 1080P, 4K is heavy in red).

Its not a cable problem as I initially started with a 4K cable for Video out to the PJ and a high speed 1.4 cable for audio out to my 1.4 pre-pro. In this config I get 4K HDR as expected but 1080P is very red. If I explicitly set output to 1080P then I get 1080P but shouldn't the UB820 send the right signal and the PJ should display it without a red push ?

Next I tried the following - I left the 4K on video out to HDMI1 and set on the UB820 video + audio output via Audio out to my pre-pro and then a 1.4 HDMI cable to HDMI2 on the PJ. The problem per the warning/note is that if a non-4K device is detected, it will only output 1080P. So a 1080P disc shows per correct saturation/colors as does the 4K disc but the 4K disc shows SDR so not getting HDR.

Can anyone (hopefully with the same combination of an Epson 6050/9400 + UB820 ?) advise what I am doing wrong ? I'd like to get HDR + SDR via the 4K video output cable and then audio to my pre-pro. As the majority of our use is movies, it looks like if I want to use any 1080P devices (like a gaming console) I am going to have connect/disconnect the 1.4 HDMI cable to my PJ HDMI2 ?

And before anyone suggests, no - can't upgrade the pre-pro for 4K pass through !

[Edit] firmware is 1.55 out of the box

Last edited by jklow888; 08-22-2019 at 04:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page