Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 188 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5782Likes

post #5611 of 7967 Old 09-01-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Yep, it would be a simple yes or no, IF I had ever tried streaming on my UB9000, but since I haven't I can't say. I have other devices that I use for that...sorry.

If I get the chance I will give it a try and let you know.

I pretty much despise mobile devices...especially cell phones. I view them as electronic leashes. I'm a real computer guy. Been in the business since the mid '60s and have about 15 operational computers here at the house and use them every day at work. I tried using tablets to control my systems but much prefer my Pronto TSU9400. Just too old school for all this mobile stuff I guess.
I embraced handheld control of music playback as the most elegant way to play music in my theater without having to turn on my projector. I like to listen to music in the dark, to avoid distractions.

Even if I turn off display in the player (ala "Pure Direct" in an Oppo) there's still a glow and wear on the projector's bulb. It's - in my opinion - far better to turn on the phone's screen for a moment, start playback, and then turn the phone's screen off and put it in my pocket.

I've been using PCs since 1982 (I was a member of the Boston Computer Society). I started under MS-DOS and have maintained Windows and Mac computers, so I'm "old school" also - but there are good tools and better ones.

I know how to use Twonky on a PC to control playback (but that's just one server) - but Android BubbleUPnP on a phone or tablet is the ideal controller, since it gives you search capability to find half-remembered things. You don't even have to have phone service to use it on WiFi to control your system, though access to my music collection away from home would be too much to give up.

PS Using a renderer absolutely requires having some other device act as a controller to to tell the server to send media to the renderer - that's the whole idea. It's the exact opposite of using the player's own, usually clunky, interface to browse the server's files.
MOberhardt likes this.

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (N5/NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers. Yamaha RX-A3070 (w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads). Oppo UDP-203, 4K Nvidia Shield, 4K Roku Ultra, 4K Amazon FireStick, Comcast 4K cable box, Win 10 PC.
My water-themed landscape photography website - only 24 pix up so far.

Last edited by Philnick; 09-01-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 7967 Old 09-01-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
I embraced handheld control of music playback as the most elegant way to play music in my theater without having to turn on my projector. I like to listen to music in the dark, to avoid distractions.

Even if I turn off display in the player (ala "Pure Direct" in an Oppo) there's still a glow and wear on the projector's bulb. It's - in my opinion - far better to turn on the phone's screen for a moment, start playback, and then turn the phone's screen off and put it in my pocket.

I've been using PCs since 1982 (I was a member of the Boston Computer Society). I started under MS-DOS and have maintained Windows and Mac computers, so I'm "old school" also - but there are good tools and better ones.

I know how to use Twonky on a PC to control playback (but that's just one server) - but Android BubbleUPnP on a phone or tablet is the ideal controller, since it gives you search capability to find half-remembered things. You don't even have to have phone service to use it on WiFi to control your system, though access to my music collection away from home would be too much to give up.

PS Using a renderer absolutely requires having some other device act as a controller to to tell the server to send media to the renderer - that's the whole idea. It's the exact opposite of using the player's own, usually clunky, interface to browse the server's files.
Well, to each their own. I was a software developer on IBM mainframes till '82 when I fell in love with Unix.

I have a Sony 65" TV in my theater and use it when listening to music, which I do most of the time (not much into movies and TV shows). I usually have it on as I like to see what's playing.

Good luck if you get a UB9000. I find its interface to be far poorer than my Yamaha receivers and prepro for music streaming. Maybe it works better in the mobile devices world we find ourselves.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #5613 of 7967 Old 09-01-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 954
@PoorSignal - yeah i dunno. Seems like bistreaming would be easier on the player, so if it sends audio out of both hdmi outs, bitstream makes the most sense, but it’s definitely not doing that. I will contact Panasonic.

Seems like this screen hints at the issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7556E9A-EA1B-4FFC-842C-C815F4CA1427_1567392551222.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	2610074  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5614 of 7967 Old 09-01-2019, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys.
Just got the UB820 and everything works as it should except Netflix which is out of sync.
Player is straight into the Samsung N950 soundbar the same as my UB900 which worked flawless with Netflix.
Any ideas?
post #5615 of 7967 Old 09-01-2019, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukather101 View Post
Hi guys.
Just got the UB820 and everything works as it should except Netflix which is out of sync.
Player is straight into the Samsung N950 soundbar the same as my UB900 which worked flawless with Netflix.
Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
Try this. Was having the same AV lip sync issue. Havent seen the problem since I did this.

Got on a chat with panasonic support online. He recommended the following after suggesting other things:

"While the unit is off, press and hold OK, blue and yellow buttons on remote at the same time for more than 5 seconds. 00 RET should be on the units display. Then press the forward arrow (directional button, >) on the remote until display reads 08 FIN. Press and hold OK on remote for at least 3 seconds."
Try this. Has worked for me and several others.
post #5616 of 7967 Old 09-02-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys.
Any ideas?
Quote:
Try this. Was having the same AV lip sync issue. Havent seen the problem since I did this.

Got on a chat with panasonic support online. He recommended the following after suggesting other things:

"While the unit is off, press and hold OK, blue and yellow buttons on remote at the same time for more than 5 seconds. 00 RET should be on the units display. Then press the forward arrow (directional button, >) on the remote until display reads 08 FIN. Press and hold OK on remote for at least 3 seconds."
Try this. Has worked for me and several others.
Thanks.
Does this reset to factory?
post #5617 of 7967 Old 09-02-2019, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Thanks.
Yes, but I think it’s something more like a “deep”factory reset.

Several of us were having an AV sync issue, only with Netflix. The video was BEFORE the audio so it was unfixable with an audio delay on the AVR. I think this has fixed the issue for almost everyone....think I remember one person saying it didn’t help.
post #5618 of 7967 Old 09-02-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
Has anyone used both the 820 and the 9000. Does the 9000 have a quieter drive?

If you can also comment on the tray and movement that will be great.

My 820 drive is pretty quiet it does sound similar to a fan. But the plastic build is incredibly cheap so I maybe looking at exchanging to a 9000.
Yes in my case I had both.
I had the UB820 for like 9 months or so as I recall exact dates I don't have in front of me.
And the UB820 always did exactly what it was suppose to on playing back Hard-Disc.
I did not use it for any streaming !!!
I use the ROKU ULTRA for all streaming.

Let me just say this as simple as I possibly can.
There is No-Way to possibly compare the UB820 to the much-much Higher-End UB9000.
If you want to find out just go to a local Best Buy and see in "Person" for yourself.
Do they basically do the exact same things I think that's correct after owning both.
But ..............
As I said I could sit here and type all I want but the only way I think anyone is going to truly appreciate the UB9000 is in person.

Yes, the Disc-Tray on the UB9000 is SILENT for sure as it is a completely different drive than the UB820 unit.

I have zero regrets spending the extra cost to get the UB9000 it's definitely worth that cost.

Terry
post #5619 of 7967 Old 09-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks.
Yes, but I think it’️s something more like a “deepâ€Âfactory reset.

Several of us were having an AV sync issue, only with Netflix. The video was BEFORE the audio so it was unfixable with an audio delay on the AVR. I think this has fixed the issue for almost everyone....think I remember one person saying it didn’️t help.
Going to give it a go when I'm home, I'll let you know

Last edited by lukather101; 09-02-2019 at 01:17 PM.
post #5620 of 7967 Old 09-02-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
My 820 drive is pretty quiet it does sound similar to a fan. But the plastic build is incredibly cheap so I maybe looking at exchanging to a 9000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Let me just say this as simple as I possibly can.
There is No-Way to possibly compare the UB820 to the much-much Higher-End UB9000.
If you want to find out just go to a local Best Buy and see in "Person" for yourself.
Do they basically do the exact same things I think that's correct after owning both.
But ..............
As I said I could sit here and type all I want but the only way I think anyone is going to truly appreciate the UB9000 is in person.

Yes, the Disc-Tray on the UB9000 is SILENT for sure as it is a completely different drive than the UB820 unit.

I have zero regrets spending the extra cost to get the UB9000 it's definitely worth that cost.
The UB9000 is double the cost of the UB820. Unless you need the 350 nits Tone Mapping or the XLR/RCA audio outputs I just don't understand why someone would spend that much money. Is the casing and quieter drive really worth double? I for one am happy people are willing to pay the money for the premium product, it keeps the high profit margin flowing to Panasonic for continued development.

I personally pay for performance only, cosmetics are pretty far down on the list when looking for gear. It does help that I have all my gear in an equipment rack, my theater room is just a screen, speakers and my projector. Since Panasonic is the only game in town with its wonderful HDR Optimizer & Tone Mapping functions, it could be bright pink or neon yellow and I'd still buy it. Once I knew the benefits of the UB820 over regular UHD players, I didn't think twice about spending the asking price. With the UB9000, I just do not see the value (unless you need the aforementioned 350 nits or audio functionality).

Still waiting for a camera locked side-by-side comparison of 350 nits vs 500 nits (on a projector, preferably). I'd do it myself but the only way to get my hands on a 9000 is to have one special ordered and I don't want to do that to a retailer.
redtommy76 likes this.
post #5621 of 7967 Old 09-02-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
The UB9000 is double the cost of the UB820. Unless you need the 350 nits Tone Mapping or the XLR/RCA audio outputs I just don't understand why someone would spend that much money. Is the casing and quieter drive really worth double? I for one am happy people are willing to pay the money for the premium product, it keeps the high profit margin flowing to Panasonic for continued development.

I personally pay for performance only, cosmetics are pretty far down on the list when looking for gear. It does help that I have all my gear in an equipment rack, my theater room is just a screen, speakers and my projector. Since Panasonic is the only game in town with its wonderful HDR Optimizer & Tone Mapping functions, it could be bright pink or neon yellow and I'd still buy it. Once I knew the benefits of the UB820 over regular UHD players, I didn't think twice about spending the asking price. With the UB9000, I just do not see the value (unless you need the aforementioned 350 nits or audio functionality).

Still waiting for a camera locked side-by-side comparison of 350 nits vs 500 nits (on a projector, preferably). I'd do it myself but the only way to get my hands on a 9000 is to have one special ordered and I don't want to do that to a retailer.
That's ^^^ exactly why I spent the extra dollars.
As I do have the JVC RS4500 projector.

Below is 350-Nits guys .........

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 09-02-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #5622 of 7967 Old 09-02-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
That's ^^^ exactly why I spent the extra dollars.
As I do have the JVC RS4500 projector.
Yeah yeah yeah. You're definitely in the very small group of people that can benefit from the extra functionality in the UB9000. I'd also be happy to pay an extra $100 for the 350 nits option on the UB820...if only it was possible.

I know "Basic Luminance Projector" on the UB9000 is the 350 nits option. I forget which is 500 nits (I think a couple are), have you compared 350 nits vs 500 nits back-to-back? Have you also compared them to SDR2020? With your RS4500 you probably can get away with HDR2020 though. Just curious...
redtommy76 likes this.
post #5623 of 7967 Old 09-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

It would be a cosmetic issue... I think the UB820 do not look like a $500 player. it looks really cheap.

You can get a $25 faucet vs a $120 one.. the both let water out but the expensive one has better finish and smoother operation.

Hard to explain, that said I can't justify it yet, maybe if the 9000 goes on clearance. It looked like it would be a great CD player which I can see extra $500 value there. It actually has better DAC spec than my SACD player but too bad no SACD laser..
post #5624 of 7967 Old 09-02-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Yeah yeah yeah. You're definitely in the very small group of people that can benefit from the extra functionality in the UB9000. I'd also be happy to pay an extra $100 for the 350 nits option on the UB820...if only it was possible.

I know "Basic Luminance Projector" on the UB9000 is the 350 nits option. I forget which is 500 nits (I think a couple are), have you compared 350 nits vs 500 nits back-to-back? Have you also compared them to SDR2020? With your RS4500 you probably can get away with HDR2020 though. Just curious...
Quote:
It would be a cosmetic issue... I think the UB820 do not look like a $500 player. it looks really cheap.

You can get a $25 faucet vs a $120 one.. the both let water out but the expensive one has better finish and smoother operation.

Hard to explain, that said I can't justify it yet, maybe if the 9000 goes on clearance. It looked like it would be a great CD player which I can see extra $500 value there. It actually has better DAC spec than my SACD player but too bad no SACD laser..
Guys,

I do realize that we are on the UB820 Panasonic "Dedicated" thread and with that once again being said.

All I am going to add is ...........

You get what you pay for and for those that are content with the UB820 more power to all of them.

I have a projector and in my case it was worth the extra monies to exchange the UB820 for the UB9000 at local Best Buy.
And in my situation having a projector it does make an improvement so I'm pleased with it.

Peace guys,
Terry
post #5625 of 7967 Old 09-02-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

$120 faucet? They easily go up to $1200!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A2FDF91E-F0EE-4E95-B79A-C86B87353BC8_1567458335540.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	2610320  
post #5626 of 7967 Old 09-02-2019, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

One thing I noticed is the UB820 on blu ray discs, if there is a 5.1 and 7.1 soundtrack available, it will select the 5.1 track for me.
At least that's what I think happens when I found the disc playing the track 2 (still english, but usually an inferior codec), I have no idea why it should do this.

I do have a 5.1 sound system but I am not sure how the UB820 can know this. I think it is probably more of a setting somewhere.

Does anyone have this problem?
post #5627 of 7967 Old 09-02-2019, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1595 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
One thing I noticed is the UB820 on blu ray discs, if there is a 5.1 and 7.1 soundtrack available, it will select the 5.1 track for me.
At least that's what I think happens when I found the disc playing the track 2 (still english, but usually an inferior codec), I have no idea why it should do this.

I do have a 5.1 sound system but I am not sure how the UB820 can know this. I think it is probably more of a setting somewhere.

Does anyone have this problem?
You sure it isn't one of those common annoying Warner encodes where they have the default audio track defaulting ALWAYS to the lossy 5.1? Even their recent Matrix UHDs still suffered from this 20th century retro audio throwback....
post #5628 of 7967 Old 09-03-2019, 07:22 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 5925 Post(s)
Liked: 8488
Quote:
Originally Posted by den110 View Post
Hey everyone,

The inquiry below was also posted on the Harmony Hub area, but figured since it has to do with the UB820 remote, someone from this thread might be able to help out. Sorry to cross post.

Wondering if anyone can help out on a "long press" for the Harmony App. I have the Harmony Hub using the Android App to control my Panasonic Blu Ray player. My Panasonic UB820 4K blu ray player has a "HDR" button that when doing a "long press" on the original remote allows another menu to pop up to control the HDR tone mapping. The button on the Harmony App works to select the first command to bring up the menu, but I can't get the App to do a long press to get to the next menu to control the tone mapping features. I tried to "Fix Delay" on the button to control the HDR function with Inter key and Inter device delay (increasing and decreasing the times), tried increasing and decreasing the command repeats as well. Nothing seems to allow the long press function to work on the Harmony Android App. Any suggestions?
Unless they’ve changed things recently, marking a button definition to generate a Long Press is something only Harmony Support can do.

First check the full list of button definitions under the Device. You may find there is already a separate definition in there (with a different name) for that same button, but coded as a Long Press. Note that you will need to use BOTH styles of button definition in your configuration: One for when you want to do a normal press, and another for the long press.

If not, ask Harmony Support to add that for you. Again you’ll end up with a 2nd button definition to use for this function.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #5629 of 7967 Old 09-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
You sure it isn't one of those common annoying Warner encodes where they have the default audio track defaulting ALWAYS to the lossy 5.1? Even their recent Matrix UHDs still suffered from this 20th century retro audio throwback....
I remember and still have those movies, like Batman Begins, Dark Knight, 300 etc, have to play around to select the better track, in those movies, it defaulted to DD 5.1!

I believe my issue is that there IS indeed a default track on discs and it isn't always track number 1. I found this information on one of the reviews.
(In my case, I am playing the NinjaGo and not Lego batman movie which is configured the same way)

"LEGO Batman's 4K disc contains the same choice between Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio tracks as the standard Blu-ray. As noted in that disc's Blu-ray review, the Atmos track is superior, though not a standout among Atmos tracks I've heard to date. As with the standard Blu-ray, the UHD defaults to DTS-HD MA, which means that if you insert the disc and press play, you'll get lossless DTS. Be sure to select Atmos from the menu. (I have asked Warner the reason for including the redundant DTS lossless track but have not received an answer.)"

The strange thing is that I also have Cars 3 (BD) I tried in the UB820, which had nothing to do with Warners, the second track is DTS HiRes 5.1 which is a lossy sound on track 2, it was playing default that. I believe I saw the whole movie without noticing I was not playing the DTS MA 7.1 track.

I had not really checked which track and just assumed it is usually on DTS MA/ True HD but now I have to check the receiver display more carefully with these movies. I do like that it is pretty easy to bring up this playback info via the UB820 button and it will show this on screen.

I had some issue with my previous receiver (2009 era) with the John Wick movies, that receiver did not support ATMOS and although reading the TrueHD core, it would drop out and pops. So in those cases a redundant track would have been appreciated.
MOberhardt likes this.

Last edited by PoorSignal; 09-03-2019 at 12:44 PM.
post #5630 of 7967 Old 09-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 2515
Hacked software discussion is not permitted at AVS.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #5631 of 7967 Old 09-03-2019, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
On my Harmony remote, I use the 820 Options soft key to bring up the menu and then use the cursor keys to select the sub menus and set the optimizer parameters.
Looks like that is what I have to do as well. Thanks.
shs1234 likes this.

Klipsch RF82BK L+R Speakers|Klipsch RC62BK CC Speaker|Definitive Technology B92X Surrounds|NHT Super One Rear Surrounds|4 Polk MC80 Ceiling Atmos|Velodyne VLF 1012 and Definitive Technology PF1500TL+ SWs|Marantz SR7012 Receiver|Yamaha RXV1800 Receiver for Atmos|JVC RS2000 4K Projector|Amazon FireStick 4K|AppleTV 4K|Panasonic UB820 UHD Blu Ray Player|Seymour Center Stage UF AT 140" diag 2:35 Screen on DIY frame and false front wall
post #5632 of 7967 Old 09-03-2019, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Unless they’ve changed things recently, marking a button definition to generate a Long Press is something only Harmony Support can do.

First check the full list of button definitions under the Device. You may find there is already a separate definition in there (with a different name) for that same button, but coded as a Long Press. Note that you will need to use BOTH styles of button definition in your configuration: One for when you want to do a normal press, and another for the long press.

If not, ask Harmony Support to add that for you. Again you’ll end up with a 2nd button definition to use for this function.
—Bob
Thanks Bob, I will probably have to get Harmony Support to add the long press for the HDR Setting button. There is a work around, I have to use the "option" button to bring up the menu and then scroll to select HDR optimization. I am trying to get a short cut to change the HDR settings for the Blu Ray 1 (use for non Disney 4K disks with metadata) and Blu Ray 2 (for Disney 4K discs with no meta data)

Klipsch RF82BK L+R Speakers|Klipsch RC62BK CC Speaker|Definitive Technology B92X Surrounds|NHT Super One Rear Surrounds|4 Polk MC80 Ceiling Atmos|Velodyne VLF 1012 and Definitive Technology PF1500TL+ SWs|Marantz SR7012 Receiver|Yamaha RXV1800 Receiver for Atmos|JVC RS2000 4K Projector|Amazon FireStick 4K|AppleTV 4K|Panasonic UB820 UHD Blu Ray Player|Seymour Center Stage UF AT 140" diag 2:35 Screen on DIY frame and false front wall
post #5633 of 7967 Old 09-03-2019, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, can you access the HDR setting if you don't have that button on the remote (universal)?

As far as I know. it lets you select from "bright environment", natural environment etc.

Can I get to adjust that without that button?

And is this something you change often if you have a dark room.
post #5634 of 7967 Old 09-03-2019, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks Bob, I will probably have to get Harmony Support to add the long press for the HDR Setting button. There is a work around, I have to use the "option" button to bring up the menu and then scroll to select HDR optimization. I am trying to get a short cut to change the HDR settings for the Blu Ray 1 (use for non Disney 4K disks with metadata) and Blu Ray 2 (for Disney 4K discs with no meta data)

Pretty sure you can create a shortcut/workflow from the desktop app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5635 of 7967 Old 09-03-2019, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
@PoorSignal - yeah i dunno. Seems like bistreaming would be easier on the player, so if it sends audio out of both hdmi outs, bitstream makes the most sense, but it’s definitely not doing that. I will contact Panasonic.

Seems like this screen hints at the issue
I don't think the screen says much about it, the secondary audio should be referring to the beeps and such. I keep that off.

I work with hardware and software code, from outside their sandbox, we may think bitstream cloning is easy, but there maybe bandwidth or clock issues to the point where this isn't possible.

As far as I know, usually the dual HDMI output lets you split the video and audio to 2 cables. That is sufficient for most people but you obviously needed a special application. Your best bet is to set the video HDMI to video only (no audio) and audio HDMI to audio only, then apply a splitter at the audio HDMI out.
post #5636 of 7967 Old 09-03-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I only have one HDMI cable run to the projector, and that is attached to the monitor out on the Marantz. So if I split the audio out, I wouldn’t be able to reconcile it back with the video HDMI going into the marantz.
post #5637 of 7967 Old 09-03-2019, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
I am trying to get a short cut to change the HDR settings for the Blu Ray 1 (use for non Disney 4K disks with metadata) and Blu Ray 2 (for Disney 4K discs with no meta data)
Something for the firmware wishlist:
- discrete [remote] commands to change to the picture modes: 1, 2 and Default as well as Optimizer on/off.
post #5638 of 7967 Old 09-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Hey everyone,

The inquiry below was also posted on the Harmony Hub area, but figured since it has to do with the UB820 remote, someone from this thread might be able to help out. Sorry to cross post.

Wondering if anyone can help out on a "long press" for the Harmony App. I have the Harmony Hub using the Android App to control my Panasonic Blu Ray player. My Panasonic UB820 4K blu ray player has a "HDR" button that when doing a "long press" on the original remote allows another menu to pop up to control the HDR tone mapping. The button on the Harmony App works to select the first command to bring up the menu, but I can't get the App to do a long press to get to the next menu to control the tone mapping features. I tried to "Fix Delay" on the button to control the HDR function with Inter key and Inter device delay (increasing and decreasing the times), tried increasing and decreasing the command repeats as well. Nothing seems to allow the long press function to work on the Harmony Android App. Any suggestions?
You can teach the long press to the hub from the Panasonic remote. Using the app, under device setup, go to "fix or add a missing command" or something like that. Choose "add a missing command". It will prompt you to teach the command to the hub from the original remote. It will also prompt you to give a name to this command which will appear in your list of commands on your phone.

Pip
MOberhardt and Dominic Chan like this.
post #5639 of 7967 Old 09-05-2019, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi.
I recently got my UB820, and I am very happy with it!! I tried movies like Interstellar, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Logan and they look amazing!!
And what surprised me the most was how good the 1080p bluray look, I tried "Batman: The Animated Series", and the quality is amazing!! I had seen it before on my PS4 Pro, but not even close to the quality it now shows with the Panny

Anyone know if my configuration is ok or if there is a better configuration? I have an LG B7 OLED. Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0016.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	2611424   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0017.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2611426  
post #5640 of 7967 Old 09-05-2019, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked: 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho García Paz View Post
Hi.
I recently got my UB820, and I am very happy with it!! I tried movies like Interstellar, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Logan and they look amazing!!
And what surprised me the most was how good the 1080p bluray look, I tried "Batman: The Animated Series", and the quality is amazing!! I had seen it before on my PS4 Pro, but not even close to the quality it now shows with the Panny

Anyone know if my configuration is ok or if there is a better configuration? I have an LG B7 OLED. Thank you!!
You have Dolby Vision disabled. Any reason why when your B7 supports DV?

CJ
JVC RS500 | LG B7A OLED | Denon X6400H (7.2.4) | X4200W | Panasonic UB820 | Two Oppo 203 | Samsung K8500 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K | HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral | MadVR with EVGA RTX-2080 Ti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k blu-ray player , blu-ray player , blu-ray settings , panasonic ub820

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page